DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MacBook Pro

Mix'D Entertainment 5:27 AM - 8 September, 2014
Hey serato users

I'm looking into purchasing a new Mac book pro for both serato scratch live and for serato video. What specs do u guys recommend that should be on the laptop.

Thanks in advance
David
Joee 6:00 AM - 8 September, 2014
store.apple.com

add 8 gigs of ram to it or

store.apple.com
Davideon 10:19 AM - 8 September, 2014
I've been looking at this a lot myself recently and believe you should get a dedicated graphics card with 1gb VRAM +. And the hdd should be 7200rpm for video.

Video files are large so large storage is needed too.
Joee 12:46 PM - 8 September, 2014
Quote:
Video files are large so large storage is needed too.

eshop.macsales.com
Code:E 5:27 AM - 15 September, 2014
Those other mac are ok. But if you can afford it get the newest one you can so you will have it that much longer before replacing it. I own this one.

store.apple.com

And pick up a Thunderbolt External well your at it.
deejdave 1:40 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Those other mac are ok. But if you can afford it get the newest one you can so you will have it that much longer before replacing it. I own this one.

store.apple.com

And pick up a Thunderbolt External well your at it.

This is one of my MacBooks and I can vouch for it as well. Excellent laptop. I have three others and this is definitely my most powerful MacBook. My second favorite is the 2012 NON retina 13" 2.9 GHZ Dual Core I7. I put 16 GB Ram & SSD in after the fact and it has proven to be the most reliable one I own.
Code:E 4:19 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
My second favorite is the 2012 NON retina 13" 2.9 GHZ Dual Core I7. I put 16 GB Ram & SSD in after the fact and it has proven to be the most reliable one I own.

But it doesn't have a dedicated video card and for best performance you really want one of those.
Niro 4:37 PM - 17 September, 2014
Just get the newest and highest specs you can afford. Another option is to get a refurbed. Just got a new MBP a few weeks ago and I can see a difference in video performance with the 2g of video ram. The minor speed bump was unnoticeable. Good luck.
deejdave 8:26 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
My second favorite is the 2012 NON retina 13" 2.9 GHZ Dual Core I7. I put 16 GB Ram & SSD in after the fact and it has proven to be the most reliable one I own.

But it doesn't have a dedicated video card and for best performance you really want one of those.

Yes for video I 100% agree. I am just saying in general. My first 2012 has no doubt been the most reliable of my MacBooks. The one I share with you (2.7 GHZ I7 Quad 15") has way more power but it has slight hiccups every now & then. No real crashes or anything just hiccups.
DJ Reflex 1:44 AM - 18 September, 2014
Just dropped 16 gig of RAM into my 2012 MBP. It ran Serato Video just fine with only 4, but I also run a ton of other memory intensive stuff. This thing flies now! Got it all from Crucial Memory. Don't buy any cheap garbage from Best Buy or the like. The voltages are not the same.
deejdave 2:05 AM - 18 September, 2014
Best Buy sells Corsair which is comparable to Crucial. I have had luck with PNY, Kingston, Corsair AND Curcial throughout the years. True you should NOT cheap out but I wouldn't say Best Buy is where the crime will be committed. The Internet is the danger spot. Best Buy is dangerous because they will sell you ANYTHING but if you know what you are looking for (and what to avoid) Best Buy is an amazing store. Happens to be my favorite store too LOL. I actually earned $750 in cash back with their Best But Elite program this past year LOL.
Scully DJ Services 3:02 AM - 18 September, 2014
Corsair>Crucial. Also, Kingston is another fantastic RAM company. Don't know how well their laptop RAM is, but their desktop RAM is unbelievably reliable.
DJ Reflex 10:42 PM - 19 September, 2014
Best Buy mint sell great stuff - I'm not arguing they don't - but the staff seems to know very little about anything! I watched as the "computer expert" simply read the label and saw the Mac logo... "Yup - this should work." They told me.
Well , it did not work and darn near fried my computer. The Geek Squad just looked at me with a smirk and shrugged their shoulders. The PNY memory I bought was 1.5 volts. My computer needed 1.3 volt memory. Subtle, I know, but Crucial pointed this out and had a compatibility test for my specific computer. Best Buy just looked at the pretty packaging!
Scully DJ Services 11:24 PM - 19 September, 2014
Best Buy customer support = MASSIVE NO NO
DjWiz91 8:47 AM - 15 November, 2014
Well i bought a pny 16gb at best buy n the same happen woth my the guy just went n look foe the mac logo lol i installed it n it works but idk why it gives me problem with serato scratch live (only) it will give me the kernel panic. I had to pit my 4gb back because it dodnt work with serato n idk why im not that good on conputers 😢😢
DjWiz91 8:47 AM - 15 November, 2014
Well i bought a pny 16gb at best n the same happen woth my the guy just went n look foe the mac logo lol i installed it n it works but idk why it gives me problem with serato scratch live (only) it will give me the kernel panic. I had to pit my 4gb back because it dodnt work with serato n idk why im not that good on conputers 😢😢
deejdave 6:04 PM - 15 November, 2014
Interesting observation. If you can.......... try to get your hands on another 16 GB ASAP so we (you LOL) can narrow down whether it is in fact the PNY specifically OR the upgrade to 16 GB in general.
pdidy 6:21 PM - 15 November, 2014
Quote:
Interesting observation. If you can.......... try to get your hands on another 16 GB ASAP so we (you LOL) can narrow down whether it is in fact the PNY specifically OR the upgrade to 16 GB in general.

wow you're good, I didn't known what dude was sayin.......
DjWiz91 8:32 PM - 16 November, 2014
Lol sorry about all the f*% up words haha i was almost sleep sorry about that, n yeah i ma buy a new one but the pny 16gb i have works good the computer works fine. With it, its only serato scratch live that start tripping n doing the kerner panic, i did what serato ppl told me to n deleted the extention n installed it again n still was doing it n formated my mac like 3 times lol n still did it so i put back my old 4 gb 😩😩 n now it doesnt give me the panic attack i dj just fine last night the problem
Is wit the pny memery 😢😢
DJ Reflex 10:46 PM - 16 November, 2014
Quote:
Lol sorry about all the f*% up words

This wasn't much better!
DJ Reflex 10:46 PM - 16 November, 2014
Now we have to work on punctuation.
DjWiz91 12:11 AM - 17 November, 2014
Wow so now u an english teacher, mind u own business man i dont care what u think if u not going to help just dont comment n dont care what u have to say i didnt know i was taking an english test smh 😤😤
DJMark 12:31 AM - 17 November, 2014
I don't think this forum has a lot of grammar-nazi's...

The real issue here is that it's exceedingly difficult to figure out what the fuck you're trying to say.

If you need help with something, it's in your own best interests (not to mention, considerate to readers) to make the effort to communicate/write clearly.

Anyway...you bought shit RAM. Buy the correct RAM, throw away the shit RAM, problem solved.

Some Macs are picky about timings and other parameters with RAM, the employees working at a place like Best Buy will probably not know about such things.
Papa Midnight 12:32 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
I don't think this forum has a lot of grammar-nazi's...

en.wikipedia.org
deejdave 12:40 AM - 17 November, 2014
In his defense English is his second language.
DJMark 12:40 AM - 17 November, 2014
Also, are you actually installing ONE 16gb RAM module? Or is it 2x8gb?

I don't think any Mac laptop will support 16gb modules.
DJMark 12:41 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
In his defense English is his second language.

Looks like gang symbols are his first language.
DJ Reflex 1:28 AM - 17 November, 2014
Also, did I not write the exact answer he was looking for about two posts up??? Did he not even read this thread?

And no, I'm not an English teacher. I teach math and science! lol
DjWiz91 6:09 AM - 17 November, 2014
U know what thanks to the ppl who try to help me. You other motherfuckers can suck my dick hijos de putas de puta pendejos de mierda!
DJMark 6:15 AM - 17 November, 2014
"Chump don't want the help, chump don't get the help".