Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Dj 1.7 crashing

djhydro 1:42 PM - 7 September, 2014
Guys I have been with serato since first came out starting with the sl1 then sl2 ttm57 and now rane 62 and djm900srt. I have never had any crashes in 8 years of using scratch live. I switched to SDJ and and every time there is an update there is more crashes then before.
I don't even know how this could even be considered a final product all my friends who switched are having the same issues so I know is not me or my setup. Instead of funding ways to make more money by coming out with add-ons like flip can we please focus more on stability so people don't get a crash while Djing infront of hundreds of people
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:20 PM - 7 September, 2014
Hey there, have you hit up the support team for help? You can open a help ticket with them here: support.serato.com

They can help find out what's going wrong for you and get you running smoothly. We focussed hugely on stability in the last update, especially over the public beta period. We just need to have a look at your system and find out what's wrong.

Sam.
Dj Ill Phil 1:05 AM - 10 September, 2014
I also had 1.7 crash a few times when I'm in offline mode?! Im using 1.6.3 until there's a new update...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:06 AM - 10 September, 2014
Hey Dj III Phil,

I'd recommend you do the exact same thing as I posted above :) Open a help request and the support team can help find out what's wrong and get you running smoothly!

Sam.
pdidy 5:15 AM - 10 September, 2014
djhydro, I have some recommended reading for you serato.com
DJ Eddie Lo 8:06 PM - 11 September, 2014
DJ Hydro, I completely agree with you, no issues ever until this update, I had a similar post and had Serato finally send me an email after 5 days asking for more information on my system, hopefully they can figure out these issues.

DJ Pidy, I read you string cause you past the same thing on my thread, I can agree with most but, as stated before and you see multiple DJ's speaking up and something has to be done with this stability. You can't test drive a new car for weeks before you purchase, so software so be the same way.So obviously there's a bug that needs to be found, and I'm sure it might be some bad line of code that can be simple to update and release, but more and more are speaking up. I'm hoping they find that answer soon cause I was really looking forward to the new library management and flip feature
pdidy 3:23 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:

DJ Pidy, I read you string cause you past the same thing on my thread, I can agree with most but, as stated before and you see multiple DJ's speaking up and something has to be done with this stability. You can't test drive a new car for weeks before you purchase, so software so be the same way.

Software is nothing like a car, it can and should be test driven for weeks until it's proven to be stable. Are you aware that multiple versions of Serato dj can be installed for this purpose ?
DJ Tecniq 7:25 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
Guys I have been with serato since first came out starting with the sl1 then sl2 ttm57 and now rane 62 and djm900srt. I have never had any crashes in 8 years of using scratch live. I switched to SDJ and and every time there is an update there is more crashes then before.
I don't even know how this could even be considered a final product all my friends who switched are having the same issues so I know is not me or my setup. Instead of funding ways to make more money by coming out with add-ons like flip can we please focus more on stability so people don't get a crash while Djing infront of hundreds of people
Dude is 100% they've had too long to get serato dj working well it will never live up to scratch live. sorry no sympathy here SDJ needs bug spray.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:33 PM - 14 September, 2014
We're 100% committed to stability and the last release we really did focus on this as well as developing new features and additions to the platform. We ran an extensive public beta and also developed some quite significant optimisation to our library technology to allow very large libraries and free up a lot of memory. We also fixed a huge number of bugs.

Stability is a huge priority to us, we understand that DJs need their software to work flawlessly.

I understand it's frustrating but we really do need to look into your system and see why you're having these crashes. Hopefully we can get you up and running smooth with a little help. If there are critical issues, we can see what these are and hopefully get these resolved for an upcoming release.

Hope we can help Tecniq, as i've mentioned in the other threads you're in, flick us your ticket number for your help request and we can jump in there and get to the bottom of this :)

Cheers,

Sam.
DJMikeyShan 2:41 PM - 18 September, 2014
I too, as well, have been experiencing many crashes since upgrading to 1.7. Two of which were in the middle of an event this past weekend, which you could imagine I was not happy about. I've never had any issues with Serato software until just recently downloading the newest version, 1.7. This is a major issue that needs to be addressed. I sent 2 crash reports last night when the software crapped out on me while prepping for all 3 of my events this weekend. Worst feeling in the world going into the weekend knowing you don't have reliable software to work with. I don't want to switch software as I've even using Serato for years, but I need stability and peace of mind knowing that when I'm in front of hundreds of people, my gear will operate smoothly.
pdidy 4:42 PM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:
I too, as well, have been experiencing many crashes since upgrading to 1.7. Two of which were in the middle of an event this past weekend, which you could imagine I was not happy about. I've never had any issues with Serato software until just recently downloading the newest version, 1.7.

I highly recommend you read this serato.com

Quote:
I sent 2 crash reports last night when the software crapped out on me while prepping for all 3 of my events this weekend. Worst feeling in the world going into the weekend knowing you don't have reliable software to work with.

Clearly you are not aware that you can revert back to any version of serato serato.com that you have found stable over your years of use. You are not obligated or forced to use any version of serato that you find unstable.
nu_nationdjs 8:44 PM - 27 September, 2014
I can relate to your frustration djhydro. I also have had numerous problems with Serato DJ, my system crashed in the middle of a wedding. I was so embarrassed with the performance. I had to go back to using Scratch Live SL2 for all Gig performances I have the Pioneer DJM 900SRT mixer but I will no longer trust the new Serato DJ software until all of the software glitches are addressed. Don't get me wrong I believe that all DJ's will love Serato DJ after they finally get it up to speed with Scratch Live.
Joee 11:31 PM - 27 September, 2014
Quote:
Software is nothing like a car, it can and should be test driven for weeks until it's proven to be stable. Are you aware that multiple versions of Serato dj can be installed for this purpose ?

installed 1.7, working fine over here no issues
nu_nationdjs 12:17 AM - 28 September, 2014
Joee, I am totally delighted that you have the right version that work for you. While doing a test drive I have used every version of serato dj and now is running 1.7. It's better than previous versions but it should be considered BETA. When doing a lot of scratching with cdj's, it just is not ready for the stress that Scratch Live handles everyday & all day. I'm looking for the stability to be compatible; no matter what the DJ does the software should be ready to go. I have great trust that serato will get it right.
deejdave 12:27 AM - 28 September, 2014
Quote:
I'm looking for the stability to be compatible

I believe you are looking for the stability to be comparable. I HAD issues with the 1.7 beta but they were addressed and 1.7 is running 100% for me so I too would in no way consider 1.7 final to be a beta. Keep in mind there will always be some users that have issues and even the day you no longer experience any does not make anything different. Where do you draw the line. The day NOBODY has any issues? That day will NEVER come. Or is there an exact amount of users that can have issues?

Serato is (as many things are in life) in many ways what you make of it. I can list quite a few setups in which I can personally guarantee success and a 100% stable environment. It is not cheap and there is some work to be done to get there though.

I do however agree there is still work to be done on Serato's end but like you I have faith that Serato will take care of business. Where I disagree with you though is what 1.7 actually is. For MANY it was a huge step toward perfection. For some it was the answer. For a very limited few it made things worse. The features included and the bugs fixed are without a doubt a huge step forward for the vast majority.
RFlachs 3:58 AM - 28 September, 2014
Well since updating to 1.6.3 I've had 3 freezes! One was whilst using SX controller & the other 2 was whilst using SL3.............. I'm really starting to dislike SDJ....
I'll update to 1.7 and see what happens. Might be time to jump ship.....
deejdave 4:10 AM - 28 September, 2014
1.6.3 is an old version and I couldn't help but notice you have no help requests open. Might be time to figure out what is wrong first no? I mean if you don't put in the effort who will? I haven't had a freeze to date so I can vouch it is entirely possible and easy to accomplish. May I ask what laptop you are running? Also hardware etc? I 100% suggest opening a help request with Serato too as they will no doubt get things where they need to be for you assuming you have the hardware necessary.
dj_soo 5:46 AM - 28 September, 2014
for those of you having issues, have you rescanned all your tracks with the latest software?

When I did that, a lot of my crashing issues went away...
RFlachs 8:31 AM - 28 September, 2014
Thanks deejdave for replying..... I'm also like djhydro been using serato since day one and upgrading SL boxes etc....No I haven't put in a help request as I logged one last time for another issue which serato didn't fix and I spent heaps of hours fixing it myself and advised them that Maverick had an issue with serato video. Regarding the hardware no need to go through all that as my macbook has been solid for over 2 years with NO OTHER software loaded on it, strictly used just for DJ'ing.... NO hardware changes.
I have never had to rescan my tunes with any version.....so I can't see that I need to do that with this version... Have to say all my probs started since migrating from SSL to SDJ
deejdave 4:54 PM - 28 September, 2014
SDJ is a different animal. You moved from one APP to a DIFFERENT app. SDJ is NOT SSL. Expecting to have EVERY aspect to be the same does not seem very fair to me nor would I want everything to be the same. What would be the point of progressing? Furthermore as I said Serato is what you make of it. If you are willing to put in SOME work and a little troubleshooting from time to time your chances are greatly increased. It seems you are NOT willing though so I hope for your sake everything takes care of itself.

Quote:
I have never had to rescan my tunes with any version.....so I can't see that I need to do that with this version... Have to say all my probs started since migrating from SSL to SDJ

BTW this ^^^ statement explains a lot. Your problems STARTED when you STARTED using SDJ yet you have NEVER scanned rescanned your music with ANY version? Also if your macbook has been solid for 2 years what were you using. Obviously not SDJ being your problems STARTED when you first migrated to SDJ. Either that means you just started using SDJ or it was solid prior no?

I am not trying to be a pain (I promise) I am just trying to figure out your approach. For me the proactive approach always works best and I am guessing it is the reason I get things straightened out ASAP. I DID have two issues with SDJ Beta (you can check my profile if you wish to confirm) yet BOTH got addressed and fixed being I participated in the beta and made sure things were working good for me. My guess is IF you participated in the public beta like Serato had asked you would have noticed things were "off" then COULD have said something then, then they COULD have had it all fixed up for you. That time has come and gone. SOME saw this as a bother and "why should I HAVE to waste my time assisting the fix THEIR software" I however saw this as an opportunity to make sure things were right for me.

The Serato team is the best at what they do but many times they give US the tools WE need to ensure our success. A tool is only good if it is used and used properly. Help them help you. Again I suggest opening a help request. It could be the thing you need to get things in order. OR go the other way. Do nothing yet complain things are not right and hope everything works out.

I wish you luck either way but I am sure it is obvious which is the better path. Hopefully everything works out for you though.
Tmoney67 11:30 PM - 28 September, 2014
This problems happens to me - DeeJDave it is so frustrating to put your money into a product that is not working properly. I have been using Serato for a long time and when I have a problem and get upset on this site I'm told to check out this or that. I understand that there is a lot to this, but I gets heartbroken when it doesn't work the way its supposed to.....
deejdave 11:43 PM - 28 September, 2014
ABSOLUTELY!! DO NOT take my feedback as an attempt to hush. I actually confirm that I myself have (more like HAD) issues. I would not dare to try and mask things as perfection. I also do not pretend that things will be perfect anytime soon.

My only gripe here is what do you do when things do not go as planned? You can sit back and hope for the best or you can get involved and basically do your best to ensure your success. Things would certainly be different IF this played out as I asked Serato for help and I got nothing but hearing "I haven't asked for help because.............." or "I don't see why I should have to..............." only makes me think not everything than CAN be done IS being done. It is up to each of us how we handle our business and I am merely suggesting on a way that certainly works for me, that is all.
DJ Tecniq 11:49 PM - 28 September, 2014
Thing is i don't feel i should ask for help since i compared how it held up against Scratchlive and it just didn't. I did not feel the stability in SDJ at all like Scratchlive. The settings were the same. Made no difference it just underperformed. If i can run Scratchlive on 2 usb buffer and not have dropouts why can't i do the same with SDJ? Main point here it is not ready for the masses at least not yet.
deejdave 12:42 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
If i can run Scratchlive on 2 usb buffer and not have dropouts why can't i do the same with SDJ?

Because SSL is NOT SDJ. SDJ has WAY more features. These features are actually a big deal and are CPU intensive. SDJ barebones has a higher requirement. Adding features such as Pitch n Time by itself raises these minimum specs EVEN further. You are comparing apples to oranges. Both are fruit yet they are VERY different. The only similarity between SSL & SDJ is they are both DJ apps made by Serato. After that there SHOULD be differences. The bigger the differences the better IMO. If I wanted to use SSL.................. I WOULD!!
Quote:
If i can run Scratchlive on 2 usb buffer and not have dropouts why can't i do the same with SDJ?

You CAN'T is right does THIS mean nobody can? NO. I CAN does this mean EVERYONE can? NO. I AM willing to admit SDJ is NOT perfect for everyone. Are you willing to accept things are working for most?

Quote:
Main point here it is not ready for the masses at least not yet.

These are secluded instances where things are not working obviously. If it were the majority I could see this being a huge problem. Often times People come to the forums and see others with issues and assume the whole world is having issues. GUESS WHERE people having issues with SDJ go though???? HERE!! This is why things seem the way they do. Also People with issues flock towards other users who are having issues as there is comfort in numbers and misery loves company. This is just human nature. Nothing more.

Again I can preach whatever I want but the fact remains I have multiple independent setups that I can run with 100% certainty at any given point. I am also willing to prove this at ANY point as DJ Tecniq SHOULD be able to vouch as I did exactly this in his thread (in which he refused to open a help request as well if I am not mistaken) serato.com after some other DJ challenged that I could not do what he was having issues with.

I am always willing to help wherever I can in duplicating issues or bugs and trying to come up with solutions or at least temporary workarounds at the very least. I offer my masses of gear and my time wherever it can be of help. The thing is help MUST be asked for. It is literally impossible to help someone who is not looking to accept said help. This is NOT a lesson that is able to be learned this late in life.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Life is what you make of it. Serato is the same. I would NEVER sit here and say "I know all and do as I do" but I can definitely sit here and say things have worked out for me from SSL up to SDJ as it stands today. I have had the frustrations of things not being 100% so do NOT be fooled into thinking I have NO idea what you are speaking of. I guess the question comes up WHAT do you plan to do about it? That is on each of you individually.

Justify doing nothing if you wish but again I promise it will be the proactive individuals (MAKING their own luck) who get more out of Serato as they do in life.
RFlachs 1:15 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
SDJ is a different animal. You moved from one APP to a DIFFERENT app. SDJ is NOT SSL. Expecting to have EVERY aspect to be the same does not seem very fair to me nor would I want everything to be the same. What would be the point of progressing? Furthermore as I said Serato is what you make of it. If you are willing to put in SOME work and a little troubleshooting from time to time your chances are greatly increased. It seems you are NOT willing though so I hope for your sake everything takes care of itself.

Quote:

BTW this ^^^ statement explains a lot. Your problems STARTED when you STARTED using SDJ yet you have NEVER scanned rescanned your music with ANY version? Also if your macbook has been solid for 2 years what were you using. Obviously not SDJ being your problems STARTED when you first migrated to SDJ. Either that means you just started using SDJ or it was solid prior no?

I am not trying to be a pain (I promise) I am just trying to figure out your approach. For me the proactive approach always works best and I am guessing it is the reason I get things straightened out ASAP. I DID have two issues with SDJ Beta (you can check my profile if you wish to confirm) yet BOTH got addressed and fixed being I participated in the beta and made sure things were working good for me. My guess is IF you participated in the public beta like Serato had asked you would have noticed things were "off" then COULD have said something then, then they COULD have had it all fixed up for you. That time has come and gone. SOME saw this as a bother and "why should I HAVE to waste my time assisting the fix THEIR software" I however saw this as an opportunity to make sure things were right for me.

The Serato team is the best at what they do but many times they give US the tools WE need to ensure our success. A tool is only good if it is used and used properly. Help them help you. Again I suggest opening a help request. It could be the thing you need to get things in order. OR go the other way. Do nothing yet complain things are not right and hope everything works out.

I wish you luck either way but I am sure it is obvious which is the better path. Hopefully everything works out for you though.

Dave I realise the SDJ is a different animal, this is why I re-formatted my HDD and did a clean install of the OS and SDJ, so really I'm not moving from one App to another App all Im doing is moving my mp3/mp4 files into SDJ. You would thing that after all these years Serato would get it right and have a product out there thats bulletproof, its a professional program used by professionals, very very embarassing when your in the middle of a gig packed with party goers & SDJ freezes up!!!!! Serato should slow down with putting out new updates and addons to get more $$$ out of ppl and concentrate more on current products and make them more stable, just have a look on the forums with all the constant problems ppl are having..... I know someone who's using Virtual DJ on a professional level for many many years, and yes I did laugh at him when I found out but guess what he has NEVER had a lock up or any probs with it EVER.... Serato needs to learn from this perhaps.... I don't want to lose any of my gigs because of serato!!!!!
deejdave 2:02 AM - 29 September, 2014
I get it. Trust me I do. Just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep in mind the way Serato fixes is things is by these very same updates you do not want them to release. 1.7 was a HUGE step forward for many. Speaking of have you tried 1.7 since your last post? This could be the answer for you without even knowing it. Positive thoughts LOL.

Quote:
just have a look on the forums with all the constant problems ppl are having

Again I MUST remind this is where you go when things go wrong so the perception sometimes becomes everyone is having issues. I am one of the few who like to report positive things. It is not very often people come on here to say "Hey guess what Serato ran beautifully this week" but if it DIDN'T they would be on here the very next day............ just the nature of the beast. As a matter of fact quite often you will have individuals make the initial complaint saying things are not working, get some advice and are never heard from again until the next time something comes up. Sometimes they even continue their very own thread without ever thanking anyone who helped them initially LOL.

Just keep your head up, put in the effort and hopefully you will be running as intended in no time. If you ever doubt that things CAN be perfect Just give me a holler and I will tell you exactly what you need to duplicate a flawless setup LOL. I am just teasing. Although this would lead to everything working it is not realistic being it is VERY costly to just start over.

Out of curiosity do you use PC or Mac?
Have you tried 1.7 yet?
What exactly was your issue (if it is crashing how does it happen?)
RFlachs 2:04 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
1.6.3 is an old version and I couldn't help but notice you have no help requests open. Might be time to figure out what is wrong first no? I mean if you don't put in the effort who will? I haven't had a freeze to date so I can vouch it is entirely possible and easy to accomplish. May I ask what laptop you are running? Also hardware etc? I 100% suggest opening a help request with Serato too as they will no doubt get things where they need to be for you assuming you have the hardware necessary.

BTW Dave, I didn't have any help requests open because I actually sit and read the forums instead posting straight away when I have a issues....
deejdave 2:09 AM - 29 September, 2014
So what was causing your issue?
RFlachs 2:15 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
I get it. Trust me I do. Just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep in mind the way Serato fixes is things is by these very same updates you do not want them to release. 1.7 was a HUGE step forward for many. Speaking of have you tried 1.7 since your last post? This could be the answer for you without even knowing it. Positive thoughts LOL.

Quote:
just have a look on the forums with all the constant problems ppl are having

Again I MUST remind this is where you go when things go wrong so the perception sometimes becomes everyone is having issues. I am one of the few who like to report positive things. It is not very often people come on here to say "Hey guess what Serato ran beautifully this week" but if it DIDN'T they would be on here the very next day............ just the nature of the beast. As a matter of fact quite often you will have individuals make the initial complaint saying things are not working, get some advice and are never heard from again until the next time something comes up. Sometimes they even continue their very own thread without ever thanking anyone who helped them initially LOL.

Just keep your head up, put in the effort and hopefully you will be running as intended in no time. If you ever doubt that things CAN be perfect Just give me a holler and I will tell you exactly what you need to duplicate a flawless setup LOL. I am just teasing. Although this would lead to everything working it is not realistic being it is VERY costly to just start over.

Out of curiosity do you use PC or Mac?
Have you tried 1.7 yet?
What exactly was your issue (if it is crashing how does it happen?)

Hi again Dave,

I updated to 1.7 2 days ago, haven't had a chance to use it live!!!!! But looking at setting it up at home for testing purposes. I will rescan all my files tonight and I've also installed the Fan controller because I've read a few ppl on here have had success with it on a macbook running warm/hot. Over the weekend Serato freezed up 3 times on me after approx 2 to 3 hours of using it, once with my SX controller and 2 times with SL3.
I'm using a Macbook, sorry don't have the specs in front of me but its approx 2 years old.
dj_soo 2:54 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:

simply telling you what worked for me. You can try it or not, but you'll probably carry on having these issues if you don't and it might help if you do so I don't know why you would refuse to at least try a solution based on principle alone.
deejdave 3:03 AM - 29 September, 2014
Quote:
Hi again Dave,

I updated to 1.7 2 days ago, haven't had a chance to use it live!!!!! But looking at setting it up at home for testing purposes. I will rescan all my files tonight and I've also installed the Fan controller because I've read a few ppl on here have had success with it on a macbook running warm/hot. Over the weekend Serato freezed up 3 times on me after approx 2 to 3 hours of using it, once with my SX controller and 2 times with SL3.
I'm using a Macbook, sorry don't have the specs in front of me but its approx 2 years old.

No worries. Try it out and see what happens. It sounds like you have a plan of attack and this is what it's all about. How about IF things do NOT go as planned you post your specs afterwards. I have 4 MacBooks along with an arsenal of SDJ hardware so I can try to use the laptop that comes closest to yours if need be. I mean I have EVERY expansion pack possible and I try to use all FX, loops, cue points, PnT, Serato Remote, etc. BUT you never know I could have same said issue as well. At least if you do have the same issue I can try to see if I can duplicate using the same sequence.
RFlachs 8:40 AM - 29 September, 2014
Thanks Dave, much appreciated! I'll keep you posted :-)
mister_wilson 3:12 AM - 30 September, 2014
As an engineer, I have to say something to folks experiencing a crash. My exact setup (computer, attached peripherals, music files, how recently I rebooted computer, what other software is running, how long its been since I relaunched SDJ) have a great deal to do with whether I experience a crash or not. There may be parts of my setup that were less susceptible to crashes on SSL or a previous version of SDJ, but I am really better off opening a ticket or simply doing my own investigation if I have a problem.

For instance, I have a cheap USB hub that used to work fine for plugging my dicers and a MIDI controller into one port on my MacBook when using SSL, but that same cheap USB hub will cause a crash if I used it with SDJ. Now, maybe I should blame Serato, but maybe that cheap USB hub is not fully compliant with USB standard and is hosing SDJ. I can only find out by either sending in a ticket or investigating. Complaining about the product doesn't help, venting doesn't help, and meanwhile some other DJ is working on being better than me and taking my gig if i am on here venting. If I have a bad part in my car that only fails when I drive it over 65 mph, I am not going to blame the folks that built a freeway so I could drive that fast. So if SDJ 1.7 is causing me problems that aren't widely occurring for other users, its in my best interest to figure out what MY problem is, instead of trying to assert what THE problem is.

Serato will improve stability because they need to keep customers, but they would solve these problems even faster if they had more techs on staff to field trouble tickets rather than customer relations meetings where they strategize how to deal with the perception that SDJ is inferior.

And for the record...a good DJ experiences a crash in the middle of a set and its frustrating and a little unnerving, but it doesn't kill the gig. Crossfaders start bleeding, needles stop working, speakers overheat. we all run into a problem from time to time and we work through it and still keep the party going 99% of the time. Clients hire us because we have the experience and composure to work through technical problems and give the crowd the best performance we can.
deejdave 3:22 AM - 30 September, 2014
The public betas they offer is also a great solution to help ease the suffering before it starts. If you want to be sure you will have no issues what better way to test the software ON YOUR PERSONAL setup and be sure you will have no issues PERSONALLY (instead of taking others' word on it) prior to ay actual release.
mat the alien 3:29 AM - 30 September, 2014
ive never been able to get serato DJ working
it crashed when just sorting sets and nothing connected

never had a problem with Scratch Live
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 3:45 AM - 30 September, 2014
Hey Mat,

How's it going. I didn't know you were having issues? We can find out what's happening for sure. A crash on startup is not normal at all.

Sam.
mat the alien 4:06 AM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
Hey Mat,

How's it going. I didn't know you were having issues? We can find out what's happening for sure. A crash on startup is not normal at all.

Sam.

thanks yeaah ive just been using serato live because i could never really get it working
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:45 PM - 30 September, 2014
We can help out Mat!

Sam.
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:
ive never been able to get serato DJ working
it crashed when just sorting sets and nothing connected

never had a problem with Scratch Live

Yo mat,

I had issues with sdj launching and it helped to basically rebuild my serato library.

Basically, rename your _serato_ folder, relaunch the dj, and then re-copy over the sub crates folder back to the new folder and see if that works. If it's still causing problems, you can just go back to your old folder with scratchlive...
RFlachs 5:35 AM - 4 October, 2014
Update Everyone!

I updated to the latest SDJ, Rescanned all my tracks!, Installed SMC fan control, Ran repair disk permissions, and HOORAY did a 4 hour gig with my SX controller last night and then a 5 hour gig with my SL3 and bingo! No freezes or lockups!!! Hopefully it stays like that!!!!!
Thanks deejdave!!!!!

R.
deejdave 2:40 PM - 4 October, 2014
You are very welcome!!! Super glad everything worked out. Keep testing the hell out of it at home to be sure but I am hopeful you will be fine. IF anything were to arise I believe 1.7 introduced a new way to report crashes which would help single out any issue you DO encounter. Again you are welcome though. GLAD to hear.
Illatek 1:59 PM - 16 October, 2014
I recently made the switch to Serato DJ 1.7.0

It was running fine for about a month and didn't have any issues in gigs.

I was impressed with the faster loading times and was starting to get used to it after moving from scratch live. I was even enjoying the extra cue points and starting to get my head around flip.

But then last weekend, the software crashed on me in the middle of a club night, which of course was massively embarrassing. Scratch live has never crashed.

I don't know how it happened, but I had a track on the left deck (beyonce partition) and while it was playing it somehow unloaded itself out of the left virtual deck.

As if I had clicked the eject button. But weirdly the track kept on playing. I mixed in a tune on the right deck and moved over to the right deck.

I then tired to load a new track into the left deck but it wouldn't do it, it just stayed blank. And the beyonce tune kept playing. I could manipulate the tune with the left cdj, but i couldn't load a new track.

Then out of no where the sound cut out and the program became unresponsive. I had to close the software, and then opened scratch live and started up the music again. Obviously the crowd weren't too happy about that.

Ive now stopped using serato DJ since then and have gone back to scratch live.

These bugs have to be ironed out if we are to be expected to use this software. Scratch live never had these teething problems for me when it was launched way back when. I don't understand why the new software is causing so many issues. Most the djs I know refuse to move over to it. This is our livelihood and we need stability, plus its just so embarrassing when the music cuts!
Illatek 2:00 PM - 16 October, 2014
Its a shame because I really like flip and the potential it has...although it isn't perfect and I was having some issues with it, but I thought it was more a case of me having to use it more and working out how to make it work.
R-Dub 3:39 PM - 16 October, 2014
yeah I'll chime in to that SDJ is ALWAYS either glitching or now it's started to crash. NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to play out at a club with this garbage, I'll just end up looking like a chump. GET IT TOGETHER SERATO!
clearblu 6:54 PM - 16 October, 2014
I think people need to realise the team are here to help, randomly saying it's crap doesn't cut it with me, there are loads of long term users who have had problems in the past and all worked together to tie the issue down, told the team and it's been dealt with. Be specific about your problems and you'll get help, be a dickhead and you'll get ignored.
Listen to the long term users, thats how you learn, it's no coincidence that users like Deejdave , myself and others haven't suffered from the large database 'issues' and the usual 'problems'
Yes it's not ssl or Itch and it is more processor hungry but it's a million times better than it was 12 months ago, more stable, more features and more user friendly. I've had problems with Sdj along the way, I've hated the word Serato, hated the team (sorry guys) and thought no one is listening and got frustrated but for me and loads of professional users 1.7 is a massive step towards a perfect solution.
R-Dub 10:07 PM - 16 October, 2014
i dont understand how 1.7 is a massive step towards a perfect solution. I mean as far
as CDJ2000s go it's not a step towards anything. (besides insanity! :) )
pdidy 12:50 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
yeah I'll chime in to that SDJ is ALWAYS either glitching or now it's started to crash. NO WAY IN HELL I'm going to play out at a club with this garbage, I'll just end up looking like a chump. GET IT TOGETHER SERATO!

Quote:
randomly saying it's crap doesn't cut it with me,

Yea I think we've progressed to the point that we know who the "Trusted Professional users" are so comments from users like R-Dub simply can not be taken seriously without detailed information.

We now question whether these users are proactively seeking a resolution to resolve said issues by opening help requests or are they more content with complaining & failure ? Their issues can be user error, malfunctioning hardware or inadequate computer specs.....the list goes on......

So without specific info, I file it in the "ignored" folder.
Joee 12:57 AM - 17 October, 2014
i'll say it again i have been using serato dj without any issues since 1.3 i'm now on 1.7 working flawless every week!!!!!!!!

so why is it that i can use it issue free & others not?

would would the common denominator be? could the user be doing something wrong? to make him crash! cause i have yet to have one single crash!
R-Dub 2:19 AM - 17 October, 2014
maybe i am doing something wrong but i dont know what it would be, I'm doing nothing different than what I've done using SSL for the past 4-5 years. Never had a problem crashing or glitching with SSL, so i dont know how it could be user error.
I open up program - plug in SL4 usb - plug in USB from CDJ hub. hit link on CDJ . And go, same as I've ALWAYS done with SSL. What else do i need to do to make SDJ work? I have more than enough spec on my laptop. (i7 / 2.3GHz / 8G RAM).
Have you been using SDJ with the CDJ2000s Joee & pdidy?
Joee 2:24 AM - 17 October, 2014
i'm on a ddj sx & ddj sr also used a vci 380, your computer specs a similar to mine assuming you have a mac
nik39 2:27 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Their issues can be user error, malfunctioning hardware or inadequate computer specs.....the list goes on.

Full of ignorance. Sad.

Quote:
i'll say it again i have been using serato dj without any issues since 1.3 i'm now on 1.7 working flawless every week!!!!!!!!

so why is it that i can use it issue free & others not?

would would the common denominator be? could the user be doing something wrong? to make him crash! cause i have yet to have one single crash!

Same here. So because it works fine for you means it can't be *not* be working for others? C'mon.
R-Dub 2:35 AM - 17 October, 2014
call me crazy but it seems most users here are having probs with CDJs not other controllers.
Maybe the issue is SDJ and CDJs not working properly together. Are most of you guys who are using CDJs using them in HID mode? (like myself). God knows even Serato has a history
of not being able to dial in their products with the CDJs (Scratch Live is also terrible in HID mode, but for different reasons)
pdidy 2:55 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:

No, I own cdj1000's (no hid) so I can't be much help there.
pdidy 3:03 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Their issues can be user error, malfunctioning hardware or inadequate computer specs.....the list goes on.

Full of ignorance. Sad.

Hey Nik, care to explain what it is you feel is "Full of ignorance" ?
pdidy 3:32 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
maybe i am doing something wrong but i dont know what it would be, I'm doing nothing different than what I've done using SSL for the past 4-5 years. Never had a problem crashing or glitching with SSL, so i dont know how it could be user error.
I open up program - plug in SL4 usb - plug in USB from CDJ hub. hit link on CDJ . And go, same as I've ALWAYS done with SSL. What else do i need to do to make SDJ work? I have more than enough spec on my laptop. (i7 / 2.3GHz / 8G RAM).

A few years ago I may have agreed with you but knowing what I know now..... nope.
I've seen serato support diagnose issues that proved my logical assumptions to be wrong.
There are simply too many variables to be sure so I just leave it up to qualifies support staff to make the official diagnosis.
deejdave 3:42 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
maybe i am doing something wrong but i dont know what it would be, I'm doing nothing different than what I've done using SSL for the past 4-5 years.

This could be the problem in itself. SDJ is NOT SSL so approaching it the same exact way with the same exact hardware may not be the best option. Keep in mind I am not trying to say this HAS to be something you are doing wrong which it does not seem pdidy was doing either (hence the "CAN be" part) so I am not sure why his statement could possibly be called ignorant as it literally leave an option to be just about ANYTHING in the world.

Quote:

My primary setup is DJM-900SRT/CDJ-2000Nexus/DDJ-SP1/MacBook Pro. I use them with HID with no issues. I HAD some latency related issues but they were 100% fixed via SDJ 1.7.0

Keep in mind SSL had its issues and even up until it's final release (2.5) it was NOT perfect. The Serato team provides some high class support and even let the community get involved ahead of final releases at times. 1.7 was one of those times and EVERY serato user had the opportunity to use it with their supported setup to make sure it worked as intended. Did you take advantage of this?

Anyways as always I am happy to try and help so what can I specifically do for you?
pdidy 4:09 AM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Keep in mind I am not trying to say this HAS to be something you are doing wrong which it does not seem pdidy was doing either (hence the "CAN be" part) so I am not sure why his statement could possibly be called ignorant as it literally leave an option to be just about ANYTHING in the world.

Exactly.....
I think English is Nik's 2nd language so I can maybe give him a pass on that one....lol
Joee 12:04 PM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Same here. So because it works fine for you means it can't be *not* be working for others? C'mon.

do care to explain it than? why does mine work perfectly while other that don't have as big a library & have a higher spec mac than me

continue having problems?

sh!t my boy runs serato dj 1.6 every week on a pre unibody mac with 4gigs ran 2.4 ghz core two dual no issues at all!…….a mac that i sold him and did a fresh instal of mavericks
nik39 4:50 PM - 17 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Full of ignorance. Sad.

Sure. Even when you say "the list goes on" it is so obvious that you always seem to blame the user first. The items you listed clearly indicated "doh, its YOUR fault, not Serato's".

There are many, many posts on this forum where you first blame the user, before even thinking of who is actually responsible for crashes and such - the manufacturer of the software. Just scroll up to your first post in this thread: It's a link to one of most useless threads on this forum "It's your fault if Serato's sofware crashes".

No, it's not!

Any customer who paid top notch money for Serato's product has the right to expect top notch quality. If they do not receive the best quality, it is their damned right to complain on Serato's forum. They can expect the softare not to crash! Yes! If I need to test everything from scratch [no pun intended ;)] then I could code a sofware by myself, or use a cheaper or even free solution. The reason a customer is happy to pay top notch dollar is because they expect the software to work as advertised.

Any crash is one crash too much. And it is Serato's task to narrow down the issues of the crashes. And you, pdidy, try to belittle those people who're doing us all a favor - they spend their free time to post about their problems and crashes on this forum, so we all can benefit. You try to shut them down with your ignorant posts, thinking that you're doing anyone a favor. No! You're not even doing Serato a favor! Because they need to know about the problems, so that they can fix it. For us. And --- for them!

Happy customer - returning customer.
pdidy 7:28 PM - 17 October, 2014
nik as intelligent as you are, your reading comprehension seriously sucks.....smh
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:10 AM - 18 October, 2014
Hey guys,

Serato DJ now has detailed crash reporting which allows us to see every crash (in Serato DJ 1.7 and above) and get these into the system to be fixed. This is something that was never possible with Scratch Live and will let us work towards having a super rock solid platform.

This will only be able to fix crashing issues that are due to software bugs though. There are still a lot of variables that need to be considered so speaking to our support team is the best way to get help and narrow down the issue.

We have another public beta coming up really soon which is going to have a huge amount of maintenance, as well as providing a great opportunity to provide feedback. We're constantly working on the software and are able to now release updates much quicker than in the past.

I know it's frustrating to be having issues but it is important to get in touch with our support team so we can help out - support.serato.com

Stability is definitely a priority and we want to help so we can all move forward together :)

Sam.
R-Dub 3:00 AM - 18 October, 2014
OK so it just happened again. I was about 5 or 6 songs into a set and then
I tried to load a track into the left deck and everything froze, the music kept playing.
the CDJs froze as well. I could hit the pause button and the cue button , but only once, after
that they didnt work but the track that was playing kept on playing. after about 20 seconds i
tried to click on the left deck and the screen went gray and the windows box popped up
saying that the program had stopped working, even though the track still kept playing i had no choice but to close the program, it was hung up.
Im Using a HP laptop running windows 7 64bit / i7 w/ 2.2GHz / 8G RAM. before it crashed i checked and SDJ wasn't using up much CPU or RAM at all. I didnt have any other programs open.
I have 2 CDJ2000s (first model - not Nexxus) a D-LINK USB powered hub, and, not that it matters but, a E&S DJR400 rotary mixer
deejdave 3:19 AM - 18 October, 2014
I didn't realize you were running Windows. I can't give you any assistance here. I have Windows PC's but I don't use them with Serato and there are far too many variables with PC's for me to even try. Best leave this for the Serato team. There is a new crash reporting system but this is only for hard crashes and it seems you are having a compatibility/driver related crash. I am guessing with the CDJ's-PC BUT it could also be your SL4.

I wish you luck either way though. I am NOT trying to get into "the" debate but I WILL tell you the difference here is the fact I am using Mac.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 3:24 AM - 18 October, 2014
Quote:
OK so it just happened again. I was about 5 or 6 songs into a set and then
I tried to load a track into the left deck and everything froze, the music kept playing.
the CDJs froze as well. I could hit the pause button and the cue button , but only once, after
that they didnt work but the track that was playing kept on playing. after about 20 seconds i
tried to click on the left deck and the screen went gray and the windows box popped up
saying that the program had stopped working, even though the track still kept playing i had no choice but to close the program, it was hung up.
Im Using a HP laptop running windows 7 64bit / i7 w/ 2.2GHz / 8G RAM. before it crashed i checked and SDJ wasn't using up much CPU or RAM at all. I didnt have any other programs open.
I have 2 CDJ2000s (first model - not Nexxus) a D-LINK USB powered hub, and, not that it matters but, a E&S DJR400 rotary mixer

As i've mentioned, please open a help request for our support team and we can help. If you already have, let me know your ticket reference number so we can chase it up.

Sam.
DJ Compiler 5:27 AM - 19 October, 2014
@R-Dub
I know in the past I've read that using a USB hub with supported serato hardware can cause issues. Have you tried testing it without the USB hub?
deejdave 5:34 AM - 19 October, 2014
Also this is a totally obvious one but you are NOT connecting the SL4 to the USB hub and ARE connecting it direct to the laptop correct?
pdidy 9:58 AM - 19 October, 2014
Quote:
@R-Dub
I know in the past I've read that using a USB hub with supported serato hardware can cause issues. Have you tried testing it without the USB hub?

Quote:
Also this is a totally obvious one but you are NOT connecting the SL4 to the USB hub and ARE connecting it direct to the laptop correct?

these are two perfect examples of the many variables deemed obvious to users who frequent the forum regularly........but in many cases they are completely unknown.
deejdave 4:59 PM - 19 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
@R-Dub

Quote:

these are two perfect examples of the many variables deemed obvious to users who frequent the forum regularly........but in many cases they are completely unknown.

Truth!! As often as I start out that direction with the word "obviously" it is usually followed by "I will try that tonight and see what happens" lol.
R-Dub 5:35 PM - 19 October, 2014
I DO have the SL4 connected directly. I am using a hub for the CDJS only. I have never had a problem with it before. But I'll try connecting directly. Luckily I should have enough USB ports. But I've never heard of a hub doing this. Could a faulty hub cause the program to "soft crash"?
R-Dub 5:45 PM - 19 October, 2014
Another question : could it be a SL4 driver issue ? A couple weeks ago when I plugged in my SL4 box and my CDJs (AFTER I Had already opened SDJ), a pop up came up and said I need to DL drivers. Don't know why that happened because I'm sure it wasn't an upgrade going, SDJ just couldn't LICATE the drivers. So I hit OK and I think it DLd the drivers. Very strange. Now last night SSL did the same thing about an hour into my set - laptop froze and was unresponsive just like my problems with SDJ !
deejdave 5:46 PM - 19 October, 2014
Sure could. It sounds like a possible communication error between the laptop and the CDJ's so anything in between could certainly be the culprit.
deejdave 5:47 PM - 19 October, 2014
Quote:
Another question : could it be a SL4 driver issue ? A couple weeks ago when I plugged in my SL4 box and my CDJs (AFTER I Had already opened SDJ), a pop up came up and said I need to DL drivers. Don't know why that happened because I'm sure it wasn't an upgrade going, SDJ just couldn't LICATE the drivers. So I hit OK and I think it DLd the drivers. Very strange. Now last night SSL did the same thing about an hour into my set - laptop froze and was unresponsive just like my problems with SDJ !

I would manually download and install the latest SL4 driver. I have not heard of any issues with the current SL4 firmware so def go for it.
R-Dub 10:23 PM - 19 October, 2014
So i opened up Rane SL4 Driver Control Panel and it WAS NOT recognizing my SL4, although both SSL and SDJ said it was connected ????
I downloaded what i think is the latest version from dj.rane.com (v1.0.3f2) and now the SL4 driver control panel recognizes it.
so maybe that was the problem, SDJ prompted me to DL drivers and something messed up.
I'll test and report back. thanks for the help!!
deejdave 10:30 PM - 19 October, 2014
You are very welcome. Sounds like you are on the right track now.
Serato
Geoff.B 12:21 AM - 20 October, 2014
Hey R-Dub, if you are having issues with lock-ups with Serato DJ in Windows, there's something you can do to help us developers: You can generate a mini-dump of the running process by using the 32-bit version of Task Manager.

A dump goes a long way in helping us track down the cause of a lock-up. If you don't have any success after following deejdave's advice, then I recommend you follow the steps below to create a dump after the process has become stuck.

Since you're running 64-bit Windows, you need to run C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe. Then find SeratoDJ.exe in the list under the Processes tab, right-click on it and select Create Dump File. You can then send that dump to our support team along with a description of the issue, and they can pass the dump on to a developer.

Also, you might want to try out the 1.7.2 Public Beta which will be out very soon - it fixes heaps of issues that have been identified since we introduced the crash report submission system in 1.7.0.

Cheers =)
djhydro 12:34 PM - 24 October, 2014
Has anyone else had this issue? Last night in the middle of a gig the needle gauge (gray line above the bpms that turns red when your needles skip) on serato both turned red and the music stopped playing I tried switching to internal mode and nothing tried reloading the track and nothing tried restarting serato and still the same. Finally I had to reboot the whole computer and it was fine for the rest of the night. Please help
pdidy 12:45 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Has anyone else had this issue? Last night in the middle of a gig the needle gauge (gray line above the bpms that turns red when your needles skip) on serato both turned red and the music stopped playing I tried switching to internal mode and nothing tried reloading the track and nothing tried restarting serato and still the same. Finally I had to reboot the whole computer and it was fine for the rest of the night. Please help

help would be difficult considering you did not provide any details of the gear, laptop model & specs or software used......
djhydro 2:14 PM - 24 October, 2014
I'm running a 2012 MacBook Pro with Mavericks i7 16gb of ram. Rane 62 and latest version of serato Dj
mister_wilson 9:20 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:

I would say that you could have some user habits contributing to the issue that just aren't a problem for SSL. Corrupt music file that you didn't re encode because it worked fine in SSL. Fewer reboots of your computer, or relaunches of the proram, or more programs running in the background with SSL. It could just be a bad USB cable. It sucks that SDJ is not as robust as SSL for you, and it is not as robust for me either. If the feature set for SSL is sufficient, I would say keep using it, but if you are eager to start using the SDJ feature set, I would keep using SDJ for practice sessions and keep seeing if you can replicate crashes (and submit those crash reports). At this point, I cannot replicate crashes if I relaunch software everytime i got to plug it up to a new piece of hardware.
mister_wilson 9:29 PM - 24 October, 2014
oh yeah, i also think i might want to seriously rethink using a hub (so I can run Dicers and PIONEER SP1 at the same time). That also seems to cause problems, although it could be the quality of the hub itself.
R-Dub 10:20 PM - 24 October, 2014
mister wilson, thanks for the input but i THINK i may have solved it. as i said above the drivers were an issue. re-installed and now it hasn't crashed yet during a couple short mix sessions. the test will be this weekend, i have back to back gigs.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:44 PM - 25 October, 2014
Hey guys, as always the best way to get help is to open a help ticket here: support.serato.com and our support team will jump on this.

I'd also make sure to try out the beta, and provide feedback in that area so we can investigate any potential issues: serato.com
deejdave 10:55 PM - 25 October, 2014
Leave the poor guy alone LOL I already got him up & running and as he said PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
mister_wilson 4:07 AM - 30 October, 2014
sorry deejdave, i hadn't made it all the way through the thread when i typed my response...i didn't realize so much had happened since i last checked in with this thread.
jaycutt 4:56 PM - 1 January, 2015
serato DJ is shit!! i want it to not be shit so badly...i hate when it CRASHES on song load during paid gigs.embarassing af ! you know you try to be current and up to date with gear and spend a lot of money....unacceptable amount of issues and crashes to even sell the shit...bullsh*t.... ive had sl1, sl3, ttm57, and ran 68. everytime i try to get the issues resolved thru serato team they just ask me the basic noob type shit.............please bring back the people who created scratch live to fix this mess...if mixemergency would work on traktor or If traktor comes out with video it will be the end of serato! going to have to go back to scratch live with ableton bridge...why did i buy another serato rane mixer....shoulda known things were going downhill when they discontinue the ttm57 sl.....
pdidy 11:17 PM - 1 January, 2015
Quote:
serato DJ is shit!! i want it to not be shit so badly...i hate when it CRASHES on song load during paid gigs.embarassing af ! you know you try to be current and up to date with gear and spend a lot of money....unacceptable amount of issues and crashes to even sell the shit...bullsh*t.... ive had sl1, sl3, ttm57, and ran 68. everytime i try to get the issues resolved thru serato team they just ask me the basic noob type shit.............please bring back the people who created scratch live to fix this mess...if mixemergency would work on traktor or If traktor comes out with video it will be the end of serato! going to have to go back to scratch live with ableton bridge...why did i buy another serato rane mixer....shoulda known things were going downhill when they discontinue the ttm57 sl.....

there's no excuse for crashing at live gigs when you know your system has issues, that part is clearly your fault. you may want to read this......serato.com

What was serato support's response to your help request ?
R-Dub 6:01 PM - 3 January, 2015
jaycutt, delete, then re-install the drivers. it worked for me.
nik39 11:31 PM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:

there's no excuse for crashing at live gigs when you know your system has issues, that part is clearly your fault. you may want to read this......serato.com

jaycutt, good advise: Don't waste your time reading that linked trolling-thread. Thank me later ;)
pdidy 8:32 AM - 4 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

jaycutt, good advise: Don't waste your time reading that linked trolling-thread. Thank me later ;)

I know is hurt your heart that users WILL read it (just like you did) and they WILL learn from it. You cant stop it sir but it your right to try....lol
jaycutt 2:09 PM - 4 January, 2015
Thank you R-Dub! Testing right now it seems a lot better. Still not as stable with needle tracking as scratch live but it's not crashing this is great!! You the man!!

Yeah that dude is trolling hard ^ smh
DJ Tecniq 7:05 PM - 4 January, 2015
Quote:
Thank you R-Dub! Testing right now it seems a lot better. Still not as stable with needle tracking as scratch live but it's not crashing this is great!! You the man!!

Yeah that dude is trolling hard ^ smh
It wasn't trolling I was having issues running video like others have as well on older machines. It runs fine with just audio. Just wanted to make that clear. I don't know of any dj's that are running video flawlessly on serato video using sdj if so i'd like to know.
nik39 12:20 PM - 6 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know is hurt your heart that users WILL read it (just like you did) and they WILL learn from it. You cant stop it sir but it your right to try....lol

Learn what? That you're trying to get a rise from people here? Yep, that's the definition of a troll.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Full of ignorance. Sad.

Sure. Even when you say "the list goes on" it is so obvious that you always seem to blame the user first. The items you listed clearly indicated "doh, its YOUR fault, not Serato's".

There are many, many posts on this forum where you first blame the user, before even thinking of who is actually responsible for crashes and such - the manufacturer of the software. Just scroll up to your first post in this thread: It's a link to one of most useless threads on this forum "It's your fault if Serato's sofware crashes".

No, it's not!

Any customer who paid top notch money for Serato's product has the right to expect top notch quality. If they do not receive the best quality, it is their damned right to complain on Serato's forum. They can expect the softare not to crash! Yes! If I need to test everything from scratch [no pun intended ;)] then I could code a sofware by myself, or use a cheaper or even free solution. The reason a customer is happy to pay top notch dollar is because they expect the software to work as advertised.

Any crash is one crash too much. And it is Serato's task to narrow down the issues of the crashes. And you, pdidy, try to belittle those people who're doing us all a favor - they spend their free time to post about their problems and crashes on this forum, so we all can benefit. You try to shut them down with your ignorant posts, thinking that you're doing anyone a favor. No! You're not even doing Serato a favor! Because they need to know about the problems, so that they can fix it. For us. And --- for them!

Happy customer - returning customer.
jaycutt 2:08 PM - 15 January, 2015
Actually was calling out pdidy on the trolling. testing 1.7.3 now. hopefully the lighting issue on my 68 is fixed. It Seems like they are making progress finally.
pdidy 4:40 PM - 15 January, 2015
Quote:
Actually was calling out pdidy on the trolling. testing 1.7.3 now. hopefully the lighting issue on my 68 is fixed. It Seems like they are making progress finally.

Trolling you, really ?....lol

But hey I get it, no one likes for someone to point out their errors, flaws and mistakes. Face it your actions were extremely unprofessional.

So don't be defensive, instead use that information I provided you and learn from it.
DJJon1200 7:07 AM - 18 January, 2015
SSL user and i know i have to move over to serato dj.

i use video SL and tonight, i got there early to see if i could get it working.

i clicked on video. it was fine. adjusted buffer. fine..

i typed in my name for the display to show and when i selected a font, it crashed.

i went back to SSL, cuz im scared. 4+ hours. i don't want no trouble LOL
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:28 AM - 18 January, 2015
Hey there, i'd recommend getting in touch with support about that, we can help find out what it was that caused that.

support.serato.com
DJJon1200 2:40 PM - 20 January, 2015
ok will do thanks
DJJon1200 3:36 AM - 23 January, 2015
So I used serato DJ for the first time for a 4+ hour gig tonight.

Boy was it a struggle. Never a problem with scratchlive.

I used my NS-7 for this, but i really had to treat it with kid gloves.

The processor was maxing out and i could tell i was pushin the system, so my usual quick tricks had to take a back seat.

Also, a few times, the right deck would just start playing in reverse for no reason. Got thru it by toggling the switch on the NS7.

It never crashed, but it came close a couple two tree times.

come on now. what is the fundemental difference with the two programs? Scratchlive aint never got close to being overtaxing to the processor. I got solid state internal HD, an external, which I dedicate music and video to. 16gigs of ram.

wut tha blood clot.
DJ Tecniq 6:13 PM - 23 January, 2015
Quote:
So I used serato DJ for the first time for a 4+ hour gig tonight.

Boy was it a struggle. Never a problem with scratchlive.

I used my NS-7 for this, but i really had to treat it with kid gloves.

The processor was maxing out and i could tell i was pushin the system, so my usual quick tricks had to take a back seat.

Also, a few times, the right deck would just start playing in reverse for no reason. Got thru it by toggling the switch on the NS7.

It never crashed, but it came close a couple two tree times.

come on now. what is the fundemental difference with the two programs? Scratchlive aint never got close to being overtaxing to the processor. I got solid state internal HD, an external, which I dedicate music and video to. 16gigs of ram.

wut tha blood clot.
firstly make sure your firmware is up to date for your controller if it needs it. Secondly it sounds like your computer just isn't powerful enough for SDJ. What year is it? SDJ needs a high spec computer or at least newer. It does not/will not perform well on older machines unfortunately👍
DJJon1200 10:09 PM - 23 January, 2015
I have an early 2011 macbook pro
2.7ghz intel core i7
memory 16gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

The NS7 I bought last year, so I will assume the firmware is good. if you know differently, please let me know. THANX
DJ Tecniq 4:37 AM - 24 January, 2015
Quote:
I have an early 2011 macbook pro
2.7ghz intel core i7
memory 16gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB

The NS7 I bought last year, so I will assume the firmware is good. if you know differently, please let me know. THANX
i would not assume the firmware is good esp if baught last yr I believe they updated it recently.
DJ Tecniq 4:46 AM - 24 January, 2015
DJJon1200 6:47 AM - 24 January, 2015
tomorrow, i'll check to see if that's up to date. thanks.

otherwise tho, why is everything so processor and ram intensive with serato dj? ssl is so not. haha
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:55 AM - 24 January, 2015
Serato DJ has a much larger feature set and does use more CPU. This is keeping with the increases in computer performance and technology though too. If your computer meets the system requirements you should be totally fine - serato.com

I would definitely update the firmware to the latest - that could be causing all kinds of issues.

I'd also contact support if you are still having trouble. They can help you out and get your machine running smooth! support.serato.com

Sam.
DJJon1200 7:16 AM - 24 January, 2015
thank you. i'll try to see if there's a firmware update missing and report back.

i know that different operating systems just use the ram and processors differently. 2 core and quad core etc.

i just like having a macbook that i can swap out the hard drive and add ram to, which is why i have my macbook pro still.

i can't believe that i'm unique in terms of a dj who does things quickly. my friend told me most djs now just play songs and barely mix, so it's not a problem. but i see new djs who do crazy fast shit. switching songs etc.
djhydro 1:38 AM - 24 February, 2015
I have completly given up on SDJ and switched back to scratch live way too many crashes with SDJ that softwear is garbage save yourself some time and money and keep scratch live. I understand trying to increase sales by putting out a softwear that's more versatile and can be used with multiple controllers and mixers I can even understand trying to up sale customers by selling pitch n time flip and all the other packages but at list make the softwear stable first...
I had more issues in 1 month of using SDJ then I have had in over 10 years of using scratch live that's really unacceptable.
I really wanted to buy that new pioneer controller and eventually the new rane 57 but I'm not if everything is gonna keep crashing.
I'm done with SDJ for good
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:49 AM - 24 February, 2015
Hey Hydro,

Did you get in touch with support about your crashes? That's not normal and we can probably look into why it's happening for you.

support.serato.com

Sam.
Serato
Geoff.B 2:13 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
I had more issues in 1 month of using SDJ then I have had in over 10 years of using scratch live that's really unacceptable.

Hi djhydro,

Have you submitted any crash reports? I have just run a query on crash reporting server for any reports linked to your email address or your forum name, and it came up with no entries.

I highly recommend reading my forum post about the crash reporting system and what it's used for, if you are indeed interested in the stability of Serato DJ: serato.com

One exception is if you are using Mac OS X and running 10.10 or later - Apple broke the mechanism that made out-of-process crash detection work, so we don't actually get Yosemite reports (instead by default, they're sent to Apple) -- we are still waiting for a fix from the Google breakpad community.

-g-
DJJon1200 2:45 AM - 24 February, 2015
I just sold my NS7-2. It's worth bringing the turntables to the gig from now on. I was getting cocky with the new technology, but after so many crashes, it's just not worth it.

The crashing and the CPU overload was happening way before Yosemite, so it ain't that. It's something inherent to the way SDJ works. Plus the vinyl tracking with SDJ being inferior in my experience.

I'm sure the other djs that have had problems in this thread can relate to that cold sweat that comes with each crash at a gig w hundreds of ppl looking at you. Good thing I got mic skills and am quick with the old ipod backup routine. "HOWS EVERYBODY FEELIN SO FAR!! WHO GOT A BIRTHDAY????" LOL

Using SSL again just until the bugs are worked out with SDJ. If they never are, i'm just gonna rock SSL till the wheels fall off haha. I got a clone macbook in case this one ever dies.
DJJon1200 2:47 AM - 24 February, 2015
and to geoff b. no offense. i don't really want to submit a crash report. get it fixed. why does SSL work fine with the same computer? just a thought, before putting the onus on the customer...
Serato
Geoff.B 4:16 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
i don't really want to submit a crash report. get it fixed.

I respect your view, DJJon1200. As a software engineer here, I can assure you that if you experience a crash that is not picked up during our formal testing process, and you DO elect to provide a crash report (and tell us about it), then the chances of the problem being located and fixed are overwhelmingly higher.

Bear in mind that your specific computer hardware, operating system, data, connected devices, and the way interact with SDJ are all contributors to program state. Despite the thrashing we give SDJ before each release, we cannot expect to know about something that could potentially only happen on your system with your setup.

Quote:
just a thought, before putting the onus on the customer...

The single most important piece of information about a crash is a crash report. There is no onus on the customer to provide it, if the customer is happy for us to rely on divining rods and psychics to determine SDJ's call stack, crash type and the exact line of code responsible. =)

Quote:
why does SSL work fine with the same computer?

SSL is a completely different product and code base. That question is a little like asking why a turntable doesn't play CDs.
benjamin.meadow@gmail.com 7:05 PM - 3 July, 2015
Quote:
I also had 1.7 crash a few times when I'm in offline mode?! Im using 1.6.3 until there's a new update...

Good call on staying with 1.6.3

This crashing in offline mode just after iTunes library loaded started happening to me today after months of no issues with 1.7. I'm guessing the issue is with the latest iTunes version. Reinstalled 1.6.3 and it's working fine.

I have a request in with support so hopefully will know soon...
DJJon1200 5:44 AM - 4 July, 2015
In another discussion, they suggested using Mix Emergency. I use that in conjuntion with SSL for the time being. I just leave serato video dormant.

I have not had any problems since :) It barely uses any CPU and my computer is not overheating or anything like that anymore!

Apparently, it has to do with Yosemite. I'm glad I don't have to buy a brand new computer for the time being. I put so much work into my macbook pro and clone (2011 and 2012) SSD and 16gb ram in each.
maarawoe 7:25 AM - 4 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Good call on staying with 1.6.3

This crashing in offline mode just after iTunes library loaded started happening to me today after months of no issues with 1.7. I'm guessing the issue is with the latest iTunes version. Reinstalled 1.6.3 and it's working fine.

I have a request in with support so hopefully will know soon...

EXACTLY the same issue with crashing here!
DJ MATRIX @ 5:45 PM - 5 July, 2015
TO BE HONEST I THINK SERATO GAVE UP ON NUMARK BECAUSE WE"VE BEEN HAVING ISSUES SINCE SERATO DJ 1.7.0 I THINK THEY ARE GEARING THEIR SOFTWARE TO PIONEER FROM WHAT IM NOTICING NS7 AND NS7 2 BEEN HAVING ALOT OF AUDIO DROP OUTS AND ALOT OF DISTORTION AND SIGNAL LOST FROM THE SOFTWARE AND ITS GETTING RIDICULUOS NOW HOW ARE WE SUPPOSE TO SAY WE ARE PROFESSIONAL WITH OUR HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE WHEN WE ARE ENCOUNTERING THESE CONSISTENT MASSIVE ISSUES THIS IS JUST PATHETIC NOW HONESTLY!!!!!!
Davideon 7:11 PM - 5 July, 2015
So you're having problems with your hardware?
nik39 11:06 PM - 5 July, 2015
Quote:
So you're having problems with your hardware?

Obviously the keyboard is broken. Shift key hangs ;)
DJ MATRIX @ 3:36 AM - 6 July, 2015
My hardware is good it's the software
DJ MATRIX @ 3:36 AM - 6 July, 2015
I have no issues playing it with virtual DJ
DJ MATRIX @ 3:37 AM - 6 July, 2015
Lots of audio drop out song playing fast at 33rpm song playing very loud when u load it lost signal from the hard ware when u cross fade it drop out lots of issues and this been going on from 1.7.1 I don't see pioneer with no issues at all I see a lot of people now going to traktor and virtual DJ don't really know what's going with serato I also see people going back to serato Itch it's very embarrassing being out there for proffssional gigs weddings privates functions and have these major issues
DJ MATRIX @ 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2015
It's either they let up use midi controllers on serato scratch live or they fix the serato DJ completely cause this getting from bad to worse
DJ MATRIX @ 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2015
Lots of audio drop out song playing fast at 33rpm song playing very loud when u load it lost signal from the hard ware when u cross fade it drop out lots of issues and this been going on from 1.7.1 I don't see pioneer with no issues at all I see a lot of people now going to traktor and virtual DJ don't really know what's going with serato I also see people going back to serato Itch it's very embarrassing being out there for proffssional gigs weddings privates functions and have these major issues
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:20 PM - 6 July, 2015
Hi DJ MATRIX @,

These issues sound quite serious, have you logged a bug with our support team? You can do that here; support.serato.com its really important we get information for all of the issues you are having so we can fix them, I can guarantee you we have not, will not and do not give up on entire groups of supported hardware!

Thanks,

J
DJ Trice 12:29 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
TO BE HONEST I THINK SERATO GAVE UP ON NUMARK BECAUSE WE"VE BEEN HAVING ISSUES SINCE SERATO DJ 1.7.0 I THINK THEY ARE GEARING THEIR SOFTWARE TO PIONEER FROM WHAT IM NOTICING NS7 AND NS7 2 BEEN HAVING ALOT OF AUDIO DROP OUTS AND ALOT OF DISTORTION AND SIGNAL LOST FROM THE SOFTWARE AND ITS GETTING RIDICULUOS NOW HOW ARE WE SUPPOSE TO SAY WE ARE PROFESSIONAL WITH OUR HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE WHEN WE ARE ENCOUNTERING THESE CONSISTENT MASSIVE ISSUES THIS IS JUST PATHETIC NOW HONESTLY!!!!!!

I have already told that about Numark and Serato... 2 or 3 years ago. That's why i have sold my NS6... since SDJ came. Implemenation of NS6 in SDJ was a joke.

I'm OK now with SDJ... but have a SZ. I'm not a Pio fan but in fact... you're right, this is pathetic but Pioneer is the only gear which is ok with serato (bugs are quiclky solved...by a new sdj version or firmware.
DJ MATRIX @ 10:00 PM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I have already told that about Numark and Serato... 2 or 3 years ago. That's why i have sold my NS6... since SDJ came. Implemenation of NS6 in SDJ was a joke.

I'm OK now with SDJ... but have a SZ. I'm not a Pio fan but in fact... you're right, this is pathetic but Pioneer is the only gear which is ok with serato (bugs are quiclky solved...by a new sdj version or firmware.
djhydro 6:26 AM - 15 August, 2015
I have to still get help for any issues every time there is a new upgrade it gets worst
i remember when serrate took issues like this seriously. No wonder why everyone is switching to traktor
eric-a 5:50 PM - 15 August, 2015
Same bugs, crashing all the time, random glitches, sometimes the serato vinyls or CDs is stopping working in the middle of the set, when it's not serato DJ crashing in the middle, also had HID issues just a few minutes ago, in the middle of a set, everything working and then BOOM random issue, no sound going out of one of the serato channels (checked the mixer of course which worked fine), had to unplug all USB (HID CDJs + SL4 + DDJ SP1) and replug everything and oh it works again, but happening right in a middle of set is not a usable tool like SSL used to be, not it's a toy, a gadget.

Stop fueling marketing for pretty videos of features that are not able to withstand a night of usage, or may be that's a new strategy, now DJs sets should be like 20 minutes and you will guarantee 20 minutes straight of reliable mixing time?

Sad as I'm 10years+ user of serato and consider moving to either:
- Traktor (happy Maschine user)
- Rekordbox
and reseling all the unreliable serato stuff i bought over the years (FX packs, DDJ-SP1, SL4, etc...)

FYI:
Windows7-64bits-8GB-Corei7-only-serato-installed.
eric-a 5:51 PM - 15 August, 2015
Fuel engineering, R&D, QA and customer support instead of the bullshit queens (marketinnnngggggg), a good product sells by itself no need of videos, I bought SSL in the beginning because it was PRAISED and ROCK SOLID, not because you had pretty videos or a pretty package.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:41 PM - 17 August, 2015
Hey guys,

I know it's frustrating to have issues.

I'd recommend contacting support for help so we can help you find out what's going wrong - support.serato.com

If you have contacted support and waiting to hear from them, let me know your help ticket references so I can follow these up. We're keen to help out.

Sam.
eric-a 11:39 AM - 31 August, 2015
How do you open a ticket when the bug is NOT reproducible and random.

- "oh it crashes randomly when I play in the middle of the set it happened 3 times the last 3 months."
- "oh sometimes the CDJ 2000 Pioneer in HID mode reboot without warning while using Serato, it happened 2 times only so far, but it happened"
- "for some reason while playing it skipped some part of the sound, sounds like a dropout, but all optimization recommened in the serato usb dropout guide have been applied, plus the CPU in not even used or at more than 12%"
- "once the button on the HID on CDJ would start the track, but no sound, it happened during a set at home, resolution: unplug everything, close serato, replug everything, magic!! it works again"

seriously !? support ?!
they will say, ah try with another laptop, yes try rebooting your laptop or ah we have not been able to reproduce so there is no bug, yeah well we know we have a bug, but it's not on the roadmap or similar, you have so many threads with ppl yelling about the software stability issues and quality, that still nothing is being done, it will be like soundcloud, if you don't move fast, people will just start leaving and advocating/try different product in hope for a "stable" solution.

i hope it will never happen during a gig again (it did happen twice during a gig and it's embarassing. I never had anything even close with SSL before)

Again it does not help build trust in YOUR product, if it's just a toy, advertise as a toy, I sound harsh and pissed, because i am indeed pissed, I had so much trouble the last few months with upgrades and instability, than I have to bring 2 laptops each times in case one serato instance fail for whatever reason i will use the one plugged on the second port of my SL4.