Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

my ddj-sx controller doesn't let me record my set

User 4232449 10:02 AM - 27 August, 2014
it doesnt show me any signal and when im trying to record its not recording
is someone can help me to understand hoe to record a dj set with the serato and the controller?
WildcardX 2:01 PM - 27 August, 2014
Follow the steps here. Just remember when you are done to click on "Record" and you can then check the file in the location you specified. In the setup, you can decide whether you are saving as AIFF or WAV. You can convert the files to MP3 after either way.

See link Below.

serato.com
Ariel M 4:48 PM - 27 August, 2014
You will need a third party mp3 converter program ie; audacity (it's a free).

I wonder why Serato has AIFF and WAV only and doesn't have MP3 format for recording?
User 4232449 7:13 PM - 27 August, 2014
But i dont have any signal lights "on" next to the the rec button i believe the problem start with the settings at the macbook or at the controller
Marv Incredible 10:32 PM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
I wonder why Serato has AIFF and WAV only and doesn't have MP3 <nobr>#</nobr> for recording?

Most likely because then they'd have to pay Fraunhofer (the inventors of MP3) a much higher licensing fee. If you're a software developer, you pay one fee rate to have your program able to PLAY MP3 files and a much higher fee to have it CREATE them. This cost would of course then have to be passed on to the customer.

I for one am happy Serato added WAV as an output option. It's no sweat at all to use my usual encoders to convert to MP3.
Ariel M 3:15 AM - 28 August, 2014
Marv,

Well, if that's the case then so be it. But, Serato is HUGE or multi-million dollar company should I say. Them paying licensing fee for MP3 is nothing I guess.

Anyways, converting WAV to MP3 is a piece of cake and I agree with you on this :)
User 4232449 8:09 AM - 1 September, 2014
what im trying to say is: i dont have any level signal when im trying to record a set
i changed the computer (mac & pc ) and same problem - no level signal at the record lines
even when im changing the output/input to the pioneer option it doesnt work
please can someone help me with this series problem
tnx
Marv Incredible 12:15 PM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
please can someone help me with this series problem

Have you opened a support ticket yet?

support.serato.com
Marv Incredible 2:16 PM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
I for one am happy Serato added WAV as an output option. It's no sweat at all to use my usual encoders to convert to MP3

For the record, I'd like to add to that statement.

The only reason I wish Serato DID record to MP3 was so that I don't have to transcode my recordings.

Most, if not all of the tracks I play are 320kbps MP3, so recording a mix as a WAV means I have to re-encode back to MP3 again, thereby losing even more quality.

It's very rare to find programs that can re-record an MP3 without actually having to re-encode it, but it IS possible and something I would LOVE to see from a program that is virtually built to play and record MP3s.

It's also something I'm wondering about the new Serato Flip. Will there be an option to save the flip as a new audio file? If so, will we have to render out the file in real time or will it save it automagically? Final format saved as WAV or AIFF? Or MP3? Enquring minds would like to know. :)