Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tip: Emojis in your library!

10:37 PM, 25 Aug 2014
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
sinesthetix 4:13 AM - 27 August, 2014
Can you do the same sort of thing with special characters in Windows 7 using character map?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:55 AM - 27 August, 2014
Hey sinesthetix,

Yep, that's also possible.
sinesthetix 4:58 AM - 27 August, 2014
Good to know, cheers guys.
sinesthetix 4:58 AM - 27 August, 2014
Now if we could get a play count on each track to see which tunes get played the most or least... :)
blackavenger 6:00 AM - 27 August, 2014
Pretty nifty....never even thought to do this. Thanks.
Musically Minded 1:28 PM - 27 August, 2014
this is a great tip....have been doing this to put a star rating on my tracks as Serato does not read iTunes star rating....but I use the grouping field instead of the comment section as I use the comment section for something different.
Nacho Ruiz 4:39 PM - 27 August, 2014
Does it work with the iTunes libraries?
Musically Minded 6:35 PM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
Does it work with the iTunes libraries?

YES!!! that's where i do all my tagging.
vladimir prieto 12:39 AM - 28 August, 2014
Quote:
this is a great tip....have been doing this to put a star rating on my tracks as Serato does not read iTunes star rating....but I use the grouping field instead of the comment section as I use the comment section for something different.

the right way would be Serato read iTunes Star field!
dj-freestyle 3:10 PM - 28 August, 2014
I cant get it so work. i copy from text edit but when i hit control and click to paste no options come up. nothing comes up. no options to paste or anything.
dj-freestyle 3:13 PM - 28 August, 2014
i even try to drag it from text edit and it bounces back.
dj-freestyle 7:56 PM - 28 August, 2014
somebody help why i cant get paste to come up in serato?
dj-freestyle 5:01 PM - 29 August, 2014
helppppppppppp
DJ MILLENNIUM KING 6:29 PM - 29 August, 2014
just can't paste it to serato some one help us out men
dj-freestyle 7:22 PM - 29 August, 2014
ya im missing something here and ime usually pretty good with things all serato lol lol
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:19 PM - 30 August, 2014
Hey guys, you should be able to copy command c from text edit then double click the title you want to paste to, then press command v.

I just tested and its working ok.

Matt P
dj-freestyle 5:05 PM - 24 September, 2014
doing command v works just not clicking to copy and paste. weird.
Sound-Raider 4:18 PM - 9 October, 2014
For your next bugfix-list:

img5.fotos-hochladen.net

When I play tracks with emojis in the comment, they change into ASCII stuff. To prevent this, have to add a space ( ) in front the emojis. Then they stay as they are.
Could be worse but a fix should be no deal. Thx!

OSX 10.9.5 & SDJ 1.7.1
Sound-Raider 3:59 PM - 10 October, 2014
Damn, still bugged! HELP

img5.fotos-hochladen.net

Now some of these comments just disappear, either partially or complete as soon I start playing a track.

I have a important gig tomorrow and planned to improve my collection with this symbols. Great :(
joachimj 5:15 AM - 9 May, 2015
I'm using ASCII special characters since many years, and it works with Mac & PC !
stylez2004 7:40 PM - 11 May, 2015
Thanks for the tip. Works fine.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:55 PM - 11 May, 2015
Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Works fine.

Glad to hear!
xshanesworldx 2:04 AM - 1 July, 2015
Can I display them to my output to the monitor?
Hitman303 6:56 PM - 27 July, 2015
if you add the star emoji to your composer/comment field in serato dj will it show up in iTunes?
xshanesworldx 2:28 AM - 28 July, 2015
Dude, how hard is it to try? Like what could really go wrong? It doesn't work. No biggie.
Just saying.
Musically Minded 7:18 PM - 29 July, 2015
Quote:
if you add the star emoji to your composer/comment field in serato dj will it show up in iTunes?

yes it does!
Hitman303 1:49 PM - 31 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

yes it does!

Thanks man. I was worried they would get scrambled or disappear when you rescan id3 tags. The only thing I see kinda bad is you can't sort in iTunes using emojis
escottx 1:41 PM - 1 August, 2015
With Windows 8 (and now 10), you can use the on-screen keyboard to access emojis and put them directly into Serato or iTunes.
Ian Williams 7:15 AM - 11 August, 2015
Great tip.

I use serato on most gigs, but occasionally I'll use competitors products.

Does anybody know if this works in Traktor / Cross / Recordbox?
Jose Lara 1:49 AM - 25 September, 2015
this is cooooool
Anton Styles 12:41 AM - 29 December, 2016
just thought this might help someone who's as ADD as i am when it comes to DJ'ing...

i use a macro text portable app (ArsClip--but there are countless others) and have macro keys set:
i set ctrl+alt + NumPad 1-5 as macro texts with the corresponding amount of stars and use that to rate (or more often, REVISE a track's star-rating) as i go throughout some of my longer sets.

cheers everyone!
djmixology 9:12 PM - 3 June, 2017
Quote:
Damn, still bugged! HELP

img5.fotos-hochladen.net

Now some of these comments just disappear, either partially or complete as soon I start playing a track.

I have a important gig tomorrow and planned to improve my collection with this symbols. Great :(

This is happening to me now - still no fix for this??
Anton Styles 4:56 PM - 4 June, 2017
i don't know if you're using Mac or PC--but i've been using various dingbats via ASCII code in place of emojis since that whole bit hasn't been worked out on the PC end.

ex:
just fire up your character map (type 'charmap' in the run prompt) and look at the non-keyboard glyphs available for your system display font (usually going off of Segoe UI works)

if you select the character you can copy/paste or note the ASCII code it gives you when selected
i.e. the " Σ " symbol can be achieved by holding down 'alt' and then inputting 228 via the 10-key pad (you'll have to activate this using your laptop's fn key most likely if you don't have a laptop with a 10-key on the right--i find these impossible to live without, though.. you can even buy cheap usb ones for a few bucks at Target/etc)

what makes this insanely helpful to me is, since Serato's search function searches the entire tag instead of just the name/title field--you can tag your tracks in whichever column you think is the best fit and when you do a search for just "Σ"--then only the files you have tagged with that show up.
hope that helps?! it's certainly proven pretty indispensable for me; being that i have multiple weekly residencies where i play vastly different and specific genres at each.
Anton Styles 5:01 PM - 4 June, 2017
P.S. to boost productivity and allow myself to tag this way on-the-fly and while playing without having to memorize countless ASCII codes; i use a free piece of portable software called "Phrase Express" where you can basically pre-set your own defined keyboard shortcuts that will 'pop up' a menu when pressed and you can select whichever predefined tagging 'phrase' you've come up with via the arrow keys and then hitting 'enter' will populate whatever tag field in serato you have double-clicked and made active for editing...
i know this may seem like pure mania to some--but i function so infinitely better since coming up with this system--especially the several weekend nights per month i do at one of my residencies where i play basically open to close and can run upwards of 6 hours total... >___<

hopefully, my manic ways will make at least one other DJ's life out there easier...!
Kika Tech 5:41 AM - 24 November, 2017
I am using an app that is best keyboard emoji amongst all that I have used before. You can also use for interesting conversation. You can download the same app from the link: kikatech.com
stylez2004 9:12 PM - 2 December, 2017
Although I do have emojis work, why does it create a second with the same name?
DJTABLET 6:49 PM - 31 May, 2018
Thenks bro...it quite pretty...
PMYSKO 10:40 PM - 6 March, 2019
Nice.........................................
Djeunique 5:24 PM - 29 March, 2019
I am a windows 10 user! And proud of it lol. when i put emojis on my crates they show up in black and white! Why? And how can i fix that?
junrock 6:10 PM - 6 August, 2019
emojis disappear if you put them on comments why
Anniebesant 10:38 AM - 29 August, 2019
really helpful.good to hear that. contact me via routererrorcode.com