DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The SSL Killer

Limin Li 6:32 AM - 28 March, 2009
www.native-instruments.com

Oh Sam! Please tell us something good for our existing Serato Scratch Live users.
dj joe g 6:36 AM - 28 March, 2009
you might check the other thread.
serato.com
Laz219 8:02 AM - 28 March, 2009
We might not care, either way it's still traktor.

definitely will not be killing serato, it's like all the mp3 players that are labeled 'ipod killer'
DJ Bouj 12:14 PM - 28 March, 2009
Nice analogy.
DJMark 12:54 PM - 28 March, 2009
Quote:
Oh Sam! Please tell us something good for our existing Serato Scratch Live users.

They've added some really nice new features, and have never charged users for software upgrades (nearly 5 years now). Pretty damned "good" if you ask me.

You know how many times Traktor users have been hit up for upgrade fees in that same time?
Liquidice 1:40 PM - 28 March, 2009
plus that interface looks ugly and cluttered
nik39 3:09 PM - 28 March, 2009
Quote:
They've added some really nice new features, and have never charged users for software upgrades (nearly 5 years now). Pretty damned "good" if you ask me.

+1
Jesus Christ 4:13 PM - 28 March, 2009
Just the support alone will keep me from ever looking at any other program.
Henry GQ 4:16 PM - 28 March, 2009
people crack me up...
"ssl killer" LOL
i thought this dood was a noob untill i scanned his profile...
but i guess that doesnt make a difference...
Zion-Prayz 4:50 PM - 28 March, 2009
Just like all of the 1200 killers. I like my STR8-150s but I know they will never replace 1200s in the market--don't care either but you still have to respect the 1200s.

SSL may not be the prettiest or the most feature-laden but you have to respect the product, and nobody can touch Serato's product support, although it doesn't take much after the FinalScratch fiasco--and no we will never get over it or let it go :)
sopranosupasta 4:56 PM - 28 March, 2009
the real serato killer.
www.warwicksu.com
nik39 5:08 PM - 28 March, 2009
Quote:
the real serato killer.
www.warwicksu.com

Uhm... not even that one.

Check this out: img186.imageshack.us
DJ_Gadabout 5:10 PM - 28 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
the real serato killer.
www.warwicksu.com

Uhm... not even that one.

Check this out: img186.imageshack.us

Nope... www.youtube.com
Henry GQ 5:17 PM - 28 March, 2009
its gets better every time..
airdrawn 6:02 PM - 28 March, 2009
Quote:
We might not care, either way it's still traktor.

definitely will not be killing serato, it's like all the mp3 players that are labeled 'ipod killer'

+1
sixxx 6:06 PM - 28 March, 2009
lol @ the title of this thread.
djdragon 3:21 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
Just the support alone will keep me from ever looking at any other program.

+10000000000000000000000000
djdragon 3:22 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
people crack me up...
"ssl killer" LOL

didn't you know SSL is the iPod of the DJ world
mrdj5150 3:45 AM - 29 March, 2009
I own both SSL and Traktor Scratch Pro. They are both great DVS systems, but each one is a little different. I don't think Traktor will ever "kill" serato or replace it as the industry standard. I can't wait to see what Serato comes up with next (although I have to say 1.9 looks awesome!) I mostly use my SSL set up as it has never crashed on me....can't say the same for traktor.
Henry GQ 4:26 AM - 29 March, 2009
searto will eventually steal everyones customers, and rightfully so.
the onyl other program i ever used was BPM Studio, which was a great program... and virtual dj which i used 4 times...
djchope 5:29 AM - 29 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
people crack me up...
"ssl killer" LOL

kind of ironic....but i get it
ReZiN 8:01 PM - 29 March, 2009
i originally had traktor scratch and got so frustrated having to spend so much of my time setting beat grids and all that i sold it for SSL..right after i made that switch they came out with traktor scratch pro..now they have this? i hope NI has some type of upgrade plan or something cause i would hate to have had scratch then had to upgrade to scratch pro and now have to upgrade to duo..and i dont even see that much improvements over pro..i guess its more streamlined or something..

i love the fact that SSL upgrades are free cause i never have to worry about dishing out more money for more features..unless they come out with a ttm57 upgrade or something
Limin Li 5:48 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
people crack me up...
"ssl killer" LOL

kind of ironic....but i get it

Just like everyone here, I've DJing for a while now. Started off as PCDJ with Virtual Turntables V 1.0 in 1998.

Anyway, true about the upgrades and NI has been pretty serious in last two years about DVS. I am about who can offer more with less price. I've been a happy Serato users for about 2-3 years now, I completely skipped on Torq, because I know that DVS is not all that great. However, Serato has to come up with something new, for example free efxs for the next update.

Couple things I do bow for Serato is that upgrade for video sl and constantly new upgrades and stable upgrades for all serato users.

However, I know I am asking a lot but we are all human beings and we all have wants. So never hurt to try and ask. Hehe :-)
Marty Mcfly 7:43 AM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I am about who can offer more with less price

i prefer quality over quantity
airdrawn 8:25 AM - 30 March, 2009
Had a go at a friends Traktor Pro last night, I still wouldn't switch, but I just wished my SSL box sounded as good as the Audio4/8, the difference is astonishing, it really is. Also viewing artwork within the list is incredible, totally changes how you go about thinking about what to play, a lot more like how it used to be with real records. For me currently, the 2 top priorities in SSL is hardware improvement (with loudness on par with NI's box & better quality A/D converters) & cover art within tracklist.
stevie o 12:22 PM - 30 March, 2009
Fuck a traktor
(no john deer)
Henry GQ 2:20 PM - 30 March, 2009
hahah stevie
C. William 4:20 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
Had a go at a friends Traktor Pro last night, I still wouldn't switch, but I just wished my SSL box sounded as good as the Audio4/8, the difference is astonishing, it really is. Also viewing artwork within the list is incredible, totally changes how you go about thinking about what to play, a lot more like how it used to be with real records. For me currently, the 2 top priorities in SSL is hardware improvement (with loudness on par with NI's box & better quality A/D converters) & cover art within tracklist.

+10
Audio1 4:33 PM - 30 March, 2009
Lately Ive been running into people running Traktor and they call Serato "Primitive".... My reply always is: "At least SSL works in a club environment"... I got called up last minute by a venue owner, his DJ's Traktor kept crashing on him and the DJ had no backup music. I show up, plug in to the 57 and rocked it... Traktor aint got an SL57!
C. William 4:37 PM - 30 March, 2009
A 20 year old girl came up to me the other day who wanted to get into dj'ing and she said that she wanted "Traktor Scratch". I also keep finding the SL1 box unplugged at one of the places I spin at...so they're most likely using Traktor on the night before I play.

I really, really hope Serato makes some bold moves pretty fast. It's a great company with a great product and I'd hate to see it lag behind other bullshit companies like Native Instruments.
latindj 5:13 PM - 30 March, 2009
You don't "lag" behind bullshit. If you want bullshit, go for it. If you want stability and features that actually work and mean something to real life dj'ing, well, you're here.
C. William 5:26 PM - 30 March, 2009
Huh?? So you're saying that whatever is good rises to the top? You mean like all the crap music that's on the radio? It's popular because it's good? No...it's popular because it has lots of marketing behind it. Traktor's interace + features are part of it's marketing approach. And it's definitely working to some extent. Fact.
latindj 5:58 PM - 30 March, 2009
that's not what I'm saying at all. they can throw all the marketing they want at Traktor and it's still not gonna make it any better. anyone who actually does their market research will surely not pick traktor...fact.
Henry GQ 6:19 PM - 30 March, 2009
wheres my skateboard
lotty 7:08 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:

Can't you use the Audio 4 box instead of the sl1 interface and use serato for it's software?.
Henry GQ 7:18 PM - 30 March, 2009
who knows.who cares.
Joshua Carl 7:32 PM - 30 March, 2009
question is... when they realize that MOST people who have a informed choice, and the money to spend what will all the SSL KILLERS do?

you guessed it.
AUTO BPM AND 1/2 THE PRICE!

so, were now talking the under 500.00 wavie
complete with traktor duo and the craigslist magic harddrives!
Henry GQ 9:56 PM - 30 March, 2009
fuck em
Laz219 11:28 PM - 30 March, 2009
I think people coming into the DVS market would easily read into traktors hype around the product. They would see it they way most traktor users always say, "serato is behind, traktor offers way more" considering traktor offers heaps of features without having even nailed down the base functionality perfectly yet, I think serato is still way out in front if your a working DJ. If you want to play around in your room and go crazy with effects, auto beatmatching 4 decks..whatever, traktor might be a better option. At least then the crashes won't matter.

That being said, I would love a new audio interface for SL. Hopefully it wouldn't mean outlaying another $750 (aus) for existing users to upgrade though.
DjWoody 11:32 PM - 30 March, 2009
I'll admit, I been thinking of making the switch. One thing that keeps holding me back is Video SL. In all honesty, I don't like the 57. I'll tell you one thing, I keep seeing more and more DJ's use Traktor. Traktor was all over WMC is this year. Maybe Traktor does finally have a solid product. Too bad their rep from the old Final Scratch days keeps hunting them.
Joshua Carl 11:36 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I'll admit, I been thinking of making the switch. One thing that keeps holding me back is Video SL. In all honesty, I don't like the 57. I'll tell you one thing, I keep seeing more and more DJ's use Traktor. Traktor was all over WMC is this year. Maybe Traktor does finally have a solid product. Too bad their rep from the old Final Scratch days keeps hunting them.

I think thats why Ableton might be a ace-in-the-hole for Serato.

once all these touring EDM djs see a DJ product with Ableton built into the functionality we will see them switching back.

but as far as the hiphop {for lack of better terms} djs I think ssl will not be
knocked off by anyone.

did everyone watch their promo on that link?
whats the point they were trying to make out their time coded vinyl?
(obviously targeting SSL in that lil snippet)
who needs a HI-FI control tone?
Laz219 11:54 PM - 30 March, 2009
They think it makes it more accurate and just generally work better.
Limin Li 4:36 AM - 31 March, 2009
Mr. Mexicali! Whats going there?

You guys all have great point. I even like the fact that people check my record to see if I am a n00b. Anyway, when Traktor Scratch came out first, the people complain about the price range. Now people are complain about how unstable it is to run. Well you guys will have me as first tester. So if it sucks, you will know.

:-)
DJ Sniffles 4:42 AM - 31 March, 2009
Seriously, lets think about this. If Torq, or Traktor had any real competition with Serato (Traktor being the only close competition) dont you think Ableton would of partnered with them?

Serato is on top for a reason
Blazin Vybes 7:58 AM - 31 March, 2009
honestly i almost didnt get serato years ago mainly due to the cost was leaning more towards torq. A buddy of mine gave me a copy of serato since he already had it loaded on his unit and i spent the time building crates and only used the program when we spun together. Long story short i invested the time/money into serato and at end of the day im still running strong 2 laptops later.

As for Traktor it will hurtt serato a little especially due to price point. Alot of DJs who are finally making the switch are gonna invest into the program just due to start up cost (program, laptop, HDD). Its no different than the whole price battle w/ pioneer & Denon
Blazin Vybes 8:02 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Seriously, lets think about this. If Torq, or Traktor had any real competition with Serato (Traktor being the only close competition) dont you think Ableton would of partnered with them?

Serato is on top for a reason

honestly i dont use ableton so regardless of the partnership it wouldnt be a "SELLING" point for me or any dj like me. Price will always play a huge factor from the start after that its up to the seller/manufactor to show the customer that its worth the extra money into the product.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:18 AM - 31 March, 2009
I almost bought Traktor DJ 3 after messing with Final Scratch 1 and my buddies FS 2 but LUCKILY a version wasn't available for my Mac (was too new at the time, didn't support 10.4 and I couldn't downgrade the laptop to 10.3). I briefly look at Torq which was new at the time for $350 but just cried and shelled out almost $500 for Serato.

Best thing I ever did.

One thing that has me curious is that Traktor Pro can use the Serato SL1 as a sound card instead of a Audioo 8/4. Wonder if Traktor Duo has that feature too?
airdrawn 10:44 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Can't you use the Audio 4 box instead of the sl1 interface and use serato for it's software?.

That would be great! But impossible as the SL1 is a dongle for the Serato software.
DJ GaFFle 11:26 AM - 31 March, 2009
So since DJs Klever and Craze are on their website, are they official endorsers of Traktor?
sl1200 11:59 AM - 31 March, 2009
As a SL1 owner I hate to admit it but Tracktor Scratch's sound quality is much better than Serato's.

I have not used Tracktor but I've seen & heard in action on many occasions.

I can't tell the difference between regular CD's & Tracktor on a big sound system but with Serato most DJ's will hear the difference immediately.

I know of two DJ’s who use tracktor & none of them have ever had stability issues, the same can be said of the many DJ’s I know who are using Serato.
I doubt I switch over anytime soon but at the same time I can’t see any improvements on the sound quality without upgrading the SL1 hardware.
Crown 3:32 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
So since DJs Klever and Craze are on their website, are they official endorsers of Traktor?

a club i have a residency at had craze and klever in for SXSW this year.

they had 2 rane 57's on their rider.

:)
Joshua Carl 4:26 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
As a SL1 owner I hate to admit it but Tracktor Scratch's sound quality is much better than Serato's.

Im not trying to discredit your ears here, dont get me wrong.

do you think it might be users causing the sound difference?>

if it comes down to external hardware (IE The mixers, effectors, wiring)

Im just saying, aside from the bozak, urei, the tube allen & heath and a few other
high end mixers nothing sounds like a Rane mixer properly wired.
so, perhaps maybe SSL with a pioneer, a vestax or something might sound "tinny"
(thats what ive always heard from them)

Im not saying that trkctor doesent sound better.
I just want to know why...because on paper I guess it comes down to the soundcard
and I thought the SSL had the better one.

I could be wrong
Mike_P 5:06 PM - 31 March, 2009
i was one of the first people to cop final scratch when it first was available to the public and i loved it. then stanton sold off to native instruments...all i can say about that is...
FUCK - traktor
&
DOUBLE FUCK - native istruments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Henry GQ 5:17 PM - 31 March, 2009
haha
airdrawn 5:55 PM - 31 March, 2009
does anyone have some exact technical specs of the sl1 & the audio8? we need to do a comparison and find out why there is a sound difference I think to settle this once and for all.

i really want to know that sl1 sounds as good as the audio8, but unfortunately my ears tell me otherwise.
Jesus Christ 7:01 PM - 31 March, 2009
Here's what I noticed about the sound quality. I used 25 years of experience in DJ'ing and a finely tuned ear to listen to many different mixers, amps, sound systems, and sound cards. What I noticed is that at 120dB, NONE OF IT MATTERS!!! Drunk people dancing will NOT notice if you have 256 kbps files vs 320 kbps files. They will NOT notice that you have a better sound card in your DVS. They will NOT notice that you are using a tube mixer.

They WILL notice if you trainwreck! They WILL notice if you play poorly constructed mashups all night long. They WILL notice if you knock the needle off the record because you don't know how to scratch or you get too drunk to stand while doing your job. But only barely!

Stop worrying about SSL killers. Start worrying about residency killers: People who want to save $200 and buy something 2nd rate in user interface and support are the same assholes that are willing to play at your gig for $50 and a bar tab. These are the same assholes who will buy a preloaded hard drive online because it's beyond them to look for and look through their own music. They just don't get it and they never will.

The ones that will get what I'm saying will nod to this as they're reading quietly and will probably not respond. The ones that don't get it and never will are going to feel threatened and challenged. Bring it on.
DJ_Gadabout 7:04 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Here's what I noticed about the sound quality. I used 25 years of experience in DJ'ing and a finely tuned ear to listen to many different mixers, amps, sound systems, and sound cards. What I noticed is that at 120dB, NONE OF IT MATTERS!!! Drunk people dancing will NOT notice if you have 256 kbps files vs 320 kbps files. They will NOT notice that you have a better sound card in your DVS. They will NOT notice that you are using a tube mixer.

They WILL notice if you trainwreck! They WILL notice if you play poorly constructed mashups all night long. They WILL notice if you knock the needle off the record because you don't know how to scratch or you get too drunk to stand while doing your job. But only barely!

Stop worrying about SSL killers. Start worrying about residency killers: People who want to save $200 and buy something 2nd rate in user interface and support are the same assholes that are willing to play at your gig for $50 and a bar tab. These are the same assholes who will buy a preloaded hard drive online because it's beyond them to look for and look through their own music. They just don't get it and they never will.

The ones that will get what I'm saying will nod to this as they're reading quietly and will probably not respond. The ones that don't get it and never will are going to feel threatened and challenged. Bring it on.

...amen...
Henry GQ 7:17 PM - 31 March, 2009
why r we even talking about this ? ssl killa ?
everything but serato sucks ass.
please stop...
Joshua Carl 7:20 PM - 31 March, 2009
I totally agree.
thats why I never really understood the .waV/flac/aiff gripes.

but! on the other side of the coin.
what if you work in radio (FM, satellite, HD or Internet)
(Ive heard some mixes on HD radio that sound like they were ripped off Cassette)
or you really want to make that perfect promotional cd for a lush gig.

I think thats where this argument/compariason lives...not really for live shows.
mediums where the sound is delivered in a potentially "high definition" format.
(but we all know 9/10 people cant tell the difference even then)
dj_soo 9:09 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:

you have to remember that some DJs cater a bit more to a sound-snob crowd (a lot of the EDM side tends to rate sound quality a lot higher than a lot of hte mainstreamers) so it does actually matter to a lot of people.
latindj 9:15 PM - 31 March, 2009
Yes, the EDM crowd is the much more sophisticated party goer with very few, if any, drunks... :P
Joshua Carl 9:22 PM - 31 March, 2009
well...again.
we have to remember there are vast differences in EDM crowds too.

the guys hoggin the booth at a digweed show with a pen and paper in hand

and the kids in the dessert with a vicks covered facemask trippin balls at 145bpms

but I think the point is, that there IS in fact markets where sound quality is a factor for both the DJs and the listeners.
and I have noticed a fair amount of reputable edms djs using trak, perhaps because of this idea that it has a higher quality output.
but theres no benchmark, no one will put that shit on youtube,
DjWoody 9:24 PM - 31 March, 2009
Yeap.... Sound quality on an EDM show ranks pretty high up, if not #1 on the list.
Henry GQ 9:31 PM - 31 March, 2009
but which is worse ?
ur set crashing?
not being able to do what u want 100% of the time, because ur shit freezing ?

-or-

something that is supa stable and rocks!
dj_soo 10:08 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Yes, the EDM crowd is the much more sophisticated party goer with very few, if any, drunks... :P

well - no, but sound quality is a concern for some of the members of that scene. maybe not for the kiddie ravers on more drugs than a pharmacy, but the club-edm crowd definitely rates sound quality high on the scale - especially in scenes like dnb and dubstep
Limin Li 5:08 AM - 1 April, 2009
update, just sold my serato scratch live, ordering Traktor Scratch Duo first thing tomorrow morning
DJMark 5:41 AM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
update, just sold my serato scratch live, ordering Traktor Scratch Duo first thing tomorrow morning

Yeah, April fools, ha ha hah.
sl1200 5:51 AM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Im not trying to discredit your ears here, dont get me wrong.

do you think it might be users causing the sound difference?>

if it comes down to external hardware (IE The mixers, effectors, wiring)

Im just saying, aside from the bozak, urei, the tube allen & heath and a few other
high end mixers nothing sounds like a Rane mixer properly wired.
so, perhaps maybe SSL with a pioneer, a vestax or something might sound "tinny"
(thats what ive always heard from them)

Im not saying that trkctor doesent sound better.
I just want to know why...because on paper I guess it comes down to the soundcard
and I thought the SSL had the better one.

I could be wrong

I'm using the SL1 box, I don't have the Rane Mixer. I've played before & after DJ's using Tracktor & we all noticed the diffrence.
AKIEM 6:15 AM - 1 April, 2009
I hope someone who knows what they are doing can make some real and scientific comparisons between some of these systems.

from my limited understanding:
A- the SL1 and TTM57 have a lower output level compared to several other devices. The lower output is confused with not sounding as good, and then the could happen adjusting the level live
B- the SL1 and TTM57 sound as close to the original CD as anything I have ever heard. Possibly the 'better' sounding devices are adding extra processing that for example might 'warm-up' the sound making it sound better if you are used to vinyl, or maybe some other processing.
C- its A and B

If its A, thats something DJs need to understand out Rane gear and work with it. If its B then I think Rane/Serato should consider some optional processing to get it to sound "better then the CD".

If I am wrong about these theories I hope someone can come and prove me wrong because so far every time someone has noted the quality issue there are other explanations.

If there really is a quality issue, of course it should be dealt with.
Kadilac 10:24 AM - 1 April, 2009
The new SL3 erases this thread.
www.rane.com
DJMark 10:39 AM - 1 April, 2009
Take that, "SSL Killer". LOFL.

Quote:

Talk about BAD timing! Or maybe it's actually *very* good timing, if the Traktor Scratch Duo order hasn't been placed yet.

If you already ordered TSD, my most sincere condolences.
Blazin Vybes 1:33 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:

I have not used Tracktor but I've seen & heard in action on many occasions.

I can't tell the difference between regular CD's & Tracktor on a big sound system but with Serato most DJ's will hear the difference immediately.

I know of two DJ’s who use tracktor & none of them have ever had stability issues, the same can be said of the many DJ’s I know who are using Serato.
I doubt I switch over anytime soon but at the same time I can’t see any improvements on the sound quality without upgrading the SL1 hardware.

well im guessing with the release of the SL3 hardware sound quality defiinitely went up
sixxx 2:09 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
Take that, "SSL Killer". LOFL.

Quote:

Talk about BAD timing! Or maybe it's actually *very* good timing, if the Traktor Scratch Duo order hasn't been placed yet.

If you already ordered TSD, my most sincere condolences.

hahaha
Joshua Carl 2:15 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
The new SL3 erases this thread.
www.rane.com

wow.
wait...what about sl2? did I miss something?

(Im a 57 fanboy)
MK 1 5:04 PM - 1 April, 2009
S

L

hahahahahahahaha!!

*Farmer's voice*

OI!!! GET OFF THAT TRAKTOR, YOU'RE GONNA CRASH!!

It's over lads :)
Anu 5:08 PM - 1 April, 2009
lol...MK 1..
Henry GQ 5:29 PM - 1 April, 2009
now will u guys stfu about this traktor bullshit ?
djratedrde 6:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
A question I have since we are all talking about prices, I know for me a 2nd SL box would be ideal I do radio, clubs, and I have to pre record a lot of my shows at home. I have had Serato for a few years and I have always wanted a second box but do I really want to shell out 500 again, Honestly I don't. So is there an alternative so that someone who is already a customer doesn't have to shell out another 500 just for the box? Just something I have been thinking about and I am sure a lot of my fellow DJ's are thinking the same thing.
sixxx 6:16 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
*Farmer's voice*

OI!!! GET OFF THAT TRAKTOR, YOU'RE GONNA CRASH!!

this always makes me lol
Henry GQ 6:17 PM - 1 April, 2009
i can sell u my sl1 for 400
djratedrde 6:20 PM - 1 April, 2009
Aren't u using it? Or you have the 57?
Henry GQ 6:35 PM - 1 April, 2009
im gonna get the new sl-3
airdrawn 6:38 PM - 1 April, 2009
quality matters, and the sl3 is the proof. thread over!
djratedrde 6:42 PM - 1 April, 2009
Has anyone seen the price for the sl3 or is it the same as the sl1
BERTO 6:46 PM - 1 April, 2009
traktor never heard of it : ) id rather have the ferrari then the traktor
WarpNote 7:14 PM - 1 April, 2009
Quote:
A question I have since we are all talking about prices, I know for me a 2nd SL box would be ideal I do radio, clubs, and I have to pre record a lot of my shows at home. I have had Serato for a few years and I have always wanted a second box but do I really want to shell out 500 again, Honestly I don't. So is there an alternative so that someone who is already a customer doesn't have to shell out another 500 just for the box? Just something I have been thinking about and I am sure a lot of my fellow DJ's are thinking the same thing.

You mean getting a discount for the next one, and selling it of Ebay? ;-)
djdragon 8:41 PM - 1 April, 2009
NI who?
DJ GaFFle 12:26 AM - 2 April, 2009
LOL, this thread lost steam when errybody caught wind of the new SL3 :-)
Joshua Carl 12:43 AM - 2 April, 2009
those videos are nice... bit convincing..

all that talk of a 3rd channel.....niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

on the other side of the coin, its kinda a "yeah..we know we have to boost our quality"

and as usual...rane/serato listens like no company Ive ever dealt with
top marks!
AKIEM 12:55 AM - 2 April, 2009
I still dont buy there is a "quality" issue with the SL1, its a matter of adding 'loudness and 'warmth' - needed true

the 24bits probably means some effects
FunkyRob 1:02 AM - 2 April, 2009
I had Traktor Scratch Pro and couldn't figure out how to add cue points. Way too many buttons and crap. Plus, no video plug in.

I just sold that shit on ebay.

I will be buying a 2nd SL1 with that money. The added features on the SL3 just aren't worth it to me.
SiRocket 1:11 AM - 2 April, 2009
the people that don't understand the quality difference.... did any of you ever upgrade from an efx500 to an efx1000?? it was the same dilemma for quality as the 1000 had a better output.

Also... many of the people that don't believe the quality hype are the same vinyl purists that say vinyl sounds better.... well did you ever put thought that maybe it does?? Most likely it does because of the output and quality of the track....

On a computer it starts with the native filetype and file quality, then it goes to your hardware (think cartridge or needle on this one)... and then it goes to your soundcard/hardware.... think phono pre-amp and wiring here... the list goes on... you guys should be the ones that should be happy!!

I myself am a vinyl junkie on the SSL bandwagon...
Joshua Carl 1:25 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
the people that don't understand the quality difference.... did any of you ever upgrade from an efx500 to an efx1000?? it was the same dilemma for quality as the 1000 had a better output.

I had to stop using the 500 at this one gig, even trough the 2016's effects loop
you click the switch to engage the 500 and it sounded like absolute shit.
and i would have NEVER KNOWN, unless my buddy came in one night and showed me.
because u usually plug it in, then start cranking the power.

this was SOOOO noticiable, and the in/out trim on the 500 did NOTHING to fix it.
just made the shit louder, or softer...figured in the lo-green it would sound good.
nope.

again, anyone whos not rockin the "pub style" setup cares about their quality.
SiRocket 1:58 AM - 2 April, 2009
josh,

makes my point clear... yes enferno still uses a 500 and so do i.... but it is an obvious sound difference example for the people that don't think that the 24bit on the sl3 will make a difference.

Thanks for chiming in sir!! :)

-R
AKIEM 2:16 AM - 2 April, 2009
if you start with 16 bits just outputting at 24 bits doesnt mean its going to sound better unless you are doing something with the more bits.

same as encoding lower bitrate mp3 to a higher bitrate mp3
Zion-Prayz 2:19 AM - 2 April, 2009
I guess until people stop dancing and start critiquing the sound from the SL-1, I don't give a flying fig...I'm sticking with solid product support and a company that doesn't abandon it's users with countless upgrade or else propositions.
Limin Li 2:46 AM - 2 April, 2009
All my mp3 collections are in 320kbps/44khz. So they are all going to sound great. Heck I might just get on skratchworx and do an official review of the product.
Joshua Carl 2:58 AM - 2 April, 2009
I think the golden point here, is not everyone DJs in the capacity we do.

and certain capacities require the highest possible quality sound.

now, having that been said.

if your the kinda jock who has a syndicated radio show, and puts out a cd monthly.
quality is something you think about when you are buying a product that represents your dj lifestyle.

if your the kinda guy who loves rockin dirty filthy nasty house parties with a daisy chain of speakers and titties flopping around everywhere...maybe sound quality
is not your primary concern.
SiRocket 4:49 AM - 2 April, 2009
Quote:
I guess until people stop dancing and start critiquing the sound from the SL-1, I don't give a flying fig...I'm sticking with solid product support and a company that doesn't abandon it's users with countless upgrade or else propositions.

wow, best response yet next to Jesus!!! LOL
Jesus Christ 4:55 AM - 2 April, 2009
Amen!
BERTO 3:49 AM - 15 April, 2009
daisy chain!!!
Limin Li 2:40 AM - 17 November, 2014
After 5 years of absent. I have returned and I have brought a Numark NV. Yes I am back to Serato. That was nice 5 years run with Traktor.
eugguy 3:28 AM - 17 November, 2014
Who cares. Took you that long to come full circle?
deejdave 4:15 AM - 17 November, 2014
Sounds like a Giants, Seahawks, Kings & Spurs fan combined into one.

If it was so nice why the switch......... again?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 5:33 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
After 5 years of absent. I have returned and I have brought a Numark NV. Yes I am back to Serato. That was nice 5 years run with Traktor.

Welcome back!
DJMark 6:17 AM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
nice 5 years run

Then what?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:11 AM - 17 November, 2014
Welcome Limin Li, you've made it.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:28 PM - 17 November, 2014
you picked a bad time to come back,

they stopped supporting ssl, in favor of toy controllers

sdj is poorly optimised and not as stable as ssl and requires top end pc due to the bad optimisation and programming of the software,

I think that sums it up alright Martin, Nick?
deejdave 4:37 PM - 17 November, 2014
Speak for yourself. Then again I wouldn't use SDJ with my PC's. Works like a charm on all four of my DJ laptops though.
djcrap 5:52 PM - 17 November, 2014
🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹🍹ðŸ
¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹ðŸ¹drinks on me

This is about to get interesting please some one pass me some🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍟🍻🍻🍻
DJ Remix Detroit 5:55 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
you picked a bad time to come back,

they stopped supporting ssl, in favor of toy controllers

sdj is poorly optimised and not as stable as ssl and requires top end pc due to the bad optimisation and programming of the software,

lmao... i was thinking the same thing too as i was reading.
Mr. Goodkat 8:50 PM - 17 November, 2014
really 1.72 is as probably the best time to switch to SDJ. he missed all the other problems and it looks like its a year out from being finished imo.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 9:13 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:

It doesn't really, but let's not get into that here otherwise it will turn into every other thread that you get involved in. ;)
deejdave 9:26 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't really, but let's not get into that here otherwise it will turn into every other thread that you get involved in. ;)

LMAO
djattila 9:40 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
really 1.72 is as probably the best time to switch to SDJ. he missed all the other problems and it looks like its a year out from being finished imo.

I'm still on 1.7.1 and hoping that 1.7.2 will be better. I had to deactivate pitch N time all together because popping souds and had to increase my buffer settings from 2 to 5. My computer 2.2 ghz quad core i7 with a SSD and 16 gig of ram memory. I feel that more than enough to run SDJ at 1 and not at 5. Had random crashes until i changed the settings. In Scratch Live 2.5 (NO ISSUES AT ALL AT 1). The CPU consumption keeps getting higer and higher in SDJ .... Just stating my results
djattila 9:49 PM - 17 November, 2014
question to serato .... Do u guys care about CPU consumption? Because if you do then please give us a release that actually lowers the CPU usage like you neighbor inklen over there. One of their focuses id to try and drop the CPU load rather than up it...
DJ Remix Detroit 9:52 PM - 17 November, 2014
lmao.... i just got through saying the same thing... but obviously Matt P, thinks 'fear of the unknown' seems to be the issue, not SDJ.

serato.com
DJ Remix Detroit 9:54 PM - 17 November, 2014
djattila,

not sure what your specs are or what OS you are using but i did some extensive troubleshooting this morning and posted my results:

serato.com
djattila 9:56 PM - 17 November, 2014
thanx detroit... im on mavericks 10.9.4 gonna have a look that that link you posted
djattila 10:03 PM - 17 November, 2014
nice work Detroit ... I just find it odd that we have to run an OLD os when it clearly states taht the sofware is compatible with MAVERICKS. Do we all really need separate partitions so we dont have issues??? I know your just doing whatever it takes to run as solid a s possible but to expect everyone to do so is a tad bit ridiculous... Detroit.... did you get to compare CPU consumption between the different OSes ???
DJ Remix Detroit 10:25 PM - 17 November, 2014
Hey here's some good news from the beta side: serato.com

Quote:
Try the new beta build we're uploading in a couple hours. We found and fixed a CRUCIAL dropout issue. It's actually been there for a while but has become a lot more prevalent in Yosemite (we think). If you've experienced dropouts in the past jump on this new build and give us some feedback. I'm worried it'll be too stable actually.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:31 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
question to serato .... Do u guys care about CPU consumption? Because if you do then please give us a release that actually lowers the CPU usage like you neighbor inklen over there. One of their focuses id to try and drop the CPU load rather than up it...

Yes we do. So if you are comparing the Serato Video process with the Mix Emergency process, yes, CPU is considerably higher, but memory usage is considerably lower. Its quite often a balancing act with any software.
djattila 10:37 PM - 17 November, 2014
Not on the video side but just adio play back . Ever since the release of DVS to SDJ i have given SDJ a go. Every single release has been more CPU intensive. My example with inklen is that their software focuses on lessening the CPU load.
Mr. Goodkat 10:39 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I'm still on 1.7.1 and hoping that 1.7.2 will be better. I had to deactivate pitch N time all together because popping souds and had to increase my buffer settings from 2 to 5. My computer 2.2 ghz quad core i7 with a SSD and 16 gig of ram memory. I feel that more than enough to run SDJ at 1 and not at 5. Had random crashes until i changed the settings. In Scratch Live 2.5 (NO ISSUES AT ALL AT 1). The CPU consumption keeps getting higer and higher in SDJ .... Just stating my results

i get that, but you also have to remember what SDJ is doing compared to SSL. We all know that the efx werent very good and the timestretch was below average and almost terrible compared to Traktor.

Whether you or we, or us as a whole, like serato over traktor, there were things that SSL didnt do as well as traktor, the timestretch and efx were 2 that were very apparent.

After going back and looking at Traktor, my computer(i5, 500 gb hd and 16 mb memory MBP) is almost the exact spec as SDJ(5ms buffer, compared to SSL 1ms buffer)

overall, since 1.6, i've used SSL less and less, and have no issues with SDJ at 1.7 with dvs and i bought a vci 380 which does get a few dropouts here and there or hit the limiter. BUT SDJ with SL3 and SRT 900 both work flawless at 5ms buffer.

It def bothers me that SDJ's new devices are not midi mappable, which is utterly ridiculous from a user standpoint. BUT, i do want Serato to stay in business, so i do realize free updates and buying a box every 5 years for customers isnt going to make much money.

If you see SDJ isn't for you, and you have what you need in SSL, shouldn't you actually be kind of happy that everything is working and you dont need to do anything than by new control records and styluses or burn a cd?
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:44 PM - 17 November, 2014
@ djattila

Ok, but you can't really compare Serato DJ and Mix Emergency if you are talking about the audio engine.

But yes, we do try and keep CPU consumption down where possible and we are working on something fairly significant at the moment that should make an impact on this area soon.
djattila 10:45 PM - 17 November, 2014
i have invested on an SP1 that i have tried to map to SSL but it just wont work as well as in SDJ. I have invested in expansion packs (ALL OF THEM). So at this point i'm willing to ride this out till things get better but i fell they need to hear what our issues are ... the SSL to SDJ crossovers
djattila 10:45 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
@ djattila

Ok, but you can't really compare Serato DJ and Mix Emergency if you are talking about the audio engine.

But yes, we do try and keep CPU consumption down where possible and we are working on something fairly significant at the moment that should make an impact on this area soon.

Good to hear Martin ... thanx for the fast reply
Mr. Goodkat 10:47 PM - 17 November, 2014
tried this for SSL and SP1?

pioneerdj.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:49 PM - 17 November, 2014
Quote:
So at this point i'm willing to ride this out till things get better but i fell they need to hear what our issues are ... the SSL to SDJ crossovers

We are totally willing to resolve those issues as best we can as long as you are willing to let us know what they are :)

I hope that you either:

A: Participate in Public Betas: serato.com
B: Get in touch with our Support Team when you have an issue: support.serato.com

Those are the best ways to help us make the software work better for you. Chatting in DJing Discussion will not necessarily have the same impact, but we appreciate your feedback none the less.
djattila 10:52 PM - 17 November, 2014
Will love to beta test and thanxs again for your response
DJ Remix Detroit 1:28 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
I just find it odd that we have to run an OLD os when it clearly states taht the sofware is compatible with MAVERICKS

yeah, that's one of my gripes too... but if it works on Mountain Lion, Im just as happy with that ....its easy to create a separate partition and just run it from there.... i just want the same stability as SSL.... if we have to take it back to Snow Leopard, I'm cool with that too, lol.

Quote:
did you get to compare CPU consumption between the different OSes

that's the thing, my CPU has always remained under 25%.... even with the usb dropouts happening, the cpu never spiked. So that's why i was scratching my head like wtf.
djattila 2:06 AM - 18 November, 2014
Got a buddy that runs SDJ on lion and seem to work fine for him. His only gripe is in HId MODE . It always crashes when he engages it Ina cdj 2000
DJ Remix Detroit 2:22 AM - 18 November, 2014
alright, just got through playing around with the newest beta.... no usb dropouts at all on yosemite. usb buffer on 1 and PnT activated... Rock Solid for over an hour!
djattila 2:25 AM - 18 November, 2014
Nice man!!!! What's your comp spects ???
DJ Remix Detroit 2:27 AM - 18 November, 2014
Early 2011 MBP 17". 16gb ram. 240gb ssd main drive. 1tb hdd optical bay. 2.3 i7 quadcore
djattila 2:31 AM - 18 November, 2014
Nice!!!! I think I'm going to digg my rig pit and give that bata a go.. Thanx again
DJ Remix Detroit 2:33 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Nice!!!! I think I'm going to digg my rig pit and give that bata a go.. Thanx again

what are your comp specs? and what hardware are you using?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:35 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
alright, just got through playing around with the newest beta.... no usb dropouts at all on yosemite. usb buffer on 1 and PnT activated... Rock Solid for over an hour!

That's great to hear man!
djattila 2:49 AM - 18 November, 2014
MBP 2.2 ghz quad core i7 early 2012 ... 128 ssd for my os and apps and 1 tb HD in the bay for media
djattila 2:49 AM - 18 November, 2014
16 gig of ram
djattila 2:51 AM - 18 November, 2014
Sl3 and djm900 srt
DJ Remix Detroit 2:54 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That's great to hear man!

Logan D,

Thanks for coming through with something real... and not some bullshit 'fear of the unknown' self help lecture....lol
DJ Remix Detroit 2:56 AM - 18 November, 2014
djattila,

keep me posted on your results man, I'm curious to see if it helps you out.

I've got thursday off work, so I'm gonna do a full 4 hour set on yosemite... ill post my results in the beta area, and keep you posted as well.
djattila 3:21 AM - 18 November, 2014
Will do Homie... I'm at a basquet ball game as we speak .. When I get home I'm going to do some testing
Gio Alex 3:43 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
basquet ball

That kinda made me chuckle a bit. Are you at an international game?
djattila 3:49 AM - 18 November, 2014
Basketball ... Auto correct is an asshole
Mr. Goodkat 6:32 AM - 18 November, 2014
so all it took was testing a beta that came out 2 or 3 weeks ago? damn.
djattila 6:34 AM - 18 November, 2014
The new one dropped a few hours ago
djattila 7:57 AM - 18 November, 2014
The lates beta ... Ran like a champ with pitch n time on and on 2 usb buffer with dvs . Ran it hard for about two hours .. The seldom yellow and red warning lights randomly would apper .. No audio dropouts
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:50 AM - 18 November, 2014
Fuck yeah.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:51 AM - 18 November, 2014
I mean...thank you for that feedback djattila, we appreciate the confirmation of this bug fix. Please let us know how you go after further testing :)
djattila 2:46 PM - 18 November, 2014
By far!!!! The best SDJ to date ... The cpu usage is also down ... My comp runs cooler at around 56 degrees when with other versions it was running at 70 degrees and up. The popping sound had also gone away .... Nice job serato ..
DJMark 7:20 PM - 18 November, 2014
So I suppose it will be another five years before the original poster comes back to tell us why he dumped Traktor....
Henry GQ 1:09 AM - 20 November, 2014
^LOL
deejdave 1:23 AM - 20 November, 2014
I asked him first!!! LOL
Limin Li 9:06 PM - 22 November, 2014
Long story short. I like Traktor Scratch Duo at the time since it was USB 2.0 enabled. So I sold the SL-1 box and got that instead. At the time I was doing probably five gigs a year and all of those gigs are either club gigs or small mobile gigs. For those mobile gigs, I have to carry my two Technics turntables in order to play. Fast forward to today. I am averaging about 50+ mobile gigs in a year and yes I carried the tables to all of those gigs. It was a pain. So I decided to get a Numark NV. I didnt want to get the Traktor S4 simple because it was too many button to press. Last night, it was the first mobile gig I did with the NV and I have to say. I am still getting use to it but I like it a lot.
Gio Alex 9:57 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
Long story short. I like Traktor Scratch Duo at the time since it was USB 2.0 enabled.

Please explain to me the significance of USB 2.0, at that time.
Limin Li 11:20 PM - 22 November, 2014
SL-1 box was USB 1.1.
Gio Alex 11:28 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
SL-1 box was USB 1.1.

....and???? This stopped you from doing what exactly?
deejdave 11:31 PM - 22 November, 2014
Two questions. First how did the USB 2.0 specifically help you and second weren't the large amount of features & controls (which amounts to buttons etc.) what you were hoping Serato to get on board with? Wasn't the the whole point of this post originally? Are you saying the simplicity of Serato DJ/NV WAS in fact a good thing in the end?
Gio Alex 11:41 PM - 22 November, 2014
Quote:
First how did the USB 2.0 specifically help you

This is exactly what I'm getting at. I don't think he understands. People say things and don't understand the purpose. It's like a cool thing to say.
Joshua Carl 12:34 AM - 23 November, 2014
Perhaps was the 24 sound card over the 16?

That's really the only thing I could think of.
Gio Alex 12:53 AM - 23 November, 2014
Quote:
Perhaps was the 24 sound card over the 16?

That's really the only thing I could think of.

But with mp3s though? I mean... Come on. Don't get me wrong I agree with you and I have an sl3, but I doubt he knows the difference or significance. I could be assuming, but I have a good feeling it's all talk. No rhyme or reason.
WarpNote 11:53 AM - 23 November, 2014
Could have been the i-core win usb 1.1 issue? -> serato.com
Limin Li 5:51 PM - 23 November, 2014
This is what this forums members has come down to eh? The SL-1 box had more audio drop out than the traktor audio 4 interface. As a DJ, I care about the quality of the music. SL1 output volume was low. Also there are a lot more digital distortion when playing and scratching. Future more, when I was playing a wav file (44khz, 16bits) the kick drum started to dip here and there and I was running with a 2.2 ghz core 2 duo MacBook Pro(this was in 2009). The interface simply couldn't keep up with the users needs. It was a great sound card don't get me wrong. When I was using the so box to record, there were no background noises. But when I upgraded to traktor, the issues went away. I was a happy camper for a good 5 years.
DJ Remix Detroit 7:56 PM - 23 November, 2014
^ what happened to make you leave traktor after 5 solid years?
Limin Li 12:10 AM - 24 November, 2014
Well I am doing 50+ mobile gigs a year now and every one of those gigs, I've carried my turntables to the gigs. It was a pain. No way I was going for Traktor all in one controller because its confusing. My options were the DDJ-SR with my IPad 4 as the visual, DDJ-SX (not going to happen because the rebate ended) DDJ-SX2 (not going to happened because my budget) and finally the Numark NV. I got a good deal from agiprodj.
Limin Li 10:19 PM - 18 January, 2017
and I went with Rekordbox DJ for a year and now I just brought a Rane Sixty Eight mixer so now I am doing mobile gigs with the DDJ-RZ and for home use its Serato DJ with the tables