DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane or sp1

westbeach 5:08 PM - 22 August, 2014
Im putting myself a home turntable setup together for scratching and juggling

is there much to be gained from buying a rane 62 or would an sp1 offer the same functionality with another mixer and sl2 box?

Which other mixers are worth looking at?

I want to use serato dj so a ttm57 is not an option
Davideon 6:13 PM - 22 August, 2014
For scratching and juggling you don't need an sp1. Or a 62. A ttm 57 is a good buy
westbeach 6:54 PM - 22 August, 2014
yeah but as i said i want to use serato dj, as its what i use for my current setup
I also want to use some effects, load & browse from the mixer/sp1
DJ Nexus2000 2:58 PM - 23 August, 2014
I Could Recommend The Pioneer DJ DJM900SRT DJ Mixer With The DDJ-SP1
Jairen 9:29 PM - 24 August, 2014
I use the SP1 with SSL and a 62 and works just fine, but it won't have all of the bells and whistles as SDJ.

Watchwww.youtube.com
westbeach 8:10 AM - 25 August, 2014
Thanks

Is a 62 and sp1 not a bit overkill
Laz219 10:17 AM - 25 August, 2014
Pick the crossfader you like? Pick based on practicality of carrying the stuff to gigs?
Jairen 12:21 PM - 25 August, 2014
I used to to think it was stupid and overkill...until I actually used it for myself on my own. I love the pads a lot better than the small hard buttons on the 62.
westbeach 2:08 PM - 25 August, 2014
Thanks Jairen that helps a lot but you have cost me more $ now ;-)
Jairen 12:50 PM - 28 August, 2014
I hope you enjoy it!
dj_double_s 11:01 PM - 28 August, 2014
I have a 62 and an sp1. To be honest, at the rate my friend's cue buttons keep falling into the mixer, I'd rather use the SP1 for cues.
Jairen 11:43 PM - 28 August, 2014
That's one of the reason's why I bought the SP1. One of my cue buttons were sunken in. from normal use. No, I don't bang on m cue buttons hard. I use the Dicers mainly to trigger cue points prior. Not a big issue as Rane said they will fix it, but I gig with my 62 on a regular basis.
deejdave 4:44 AM - 29 August, 2014
Quote:
I have a 62 and an sp1. To be honest, at the rate my friend's cue buttons keep falling into the mixer, I'd rather use the SP1 for cues.

Agreed. I had issues with my 62 with the cue buttons. Only issues I ever had too if I remember correctly.
dj_soo 11:43 PM - 29 August, 2014
Quote:
Thanks

Is a 62 and sp1 not a bit overkill

it is, but I use it anyway - also use dicers too...
westbeach 7:20 AM - 30 August, 2014
What features do you use on the 62? I would imagine if you have the sp1 then the 62 becomes a basic mixer
dj_double_s 5:21 PM - 30 August, 2014
Quote:
What features do you use on the 62? I would imagine if you have the sp1 then the 62 becomes a basic mixer

Not really, I'm still on SSL, so the effects on the mixer are still in heavy use. If/when I move to SDJ (not thrilled with stability yet) I suppose it'll become a preferences thing.
Jairen 6:10 PM - 30 August, 2014
^This.

I mainly use the SP1 for it's Hot Cue pads for triggering cue points and samples. The pads are nice. I also like the scroll knob and load buttons. I've never gotten used to pushing down the button on the 62 to load tracks and like the load buttons better.

As said, once SDJ is stable enough for outside gigs, I'll be able to maximize the functions.
deejdave 7:58 PM - 30 August, 2014
Is Serato DJ unstable for you guys or something? I have yet to have a crash to date. Few small bugs (screen laggy with a large [80,000 file] library & crate order issues) but nothing I'd consider deal breaking.
dj_double_s 9:12 PM - 30 August, 2014
Not unstable, but lots of dropouts. Pretty strange when SSL, it's sister product, doesn't have these issues with same exact setup (laptop, 62, USB cable etc)
Jairen 9:23 PM - 30 August, 2014
Yeah, it's a resource hog if you use a lot of it's features. I have a fairly recent Macbook that is decently spec'd and still have problems.

If you listen to the first 10 minutes of Jazzy Jeff's set on djcity, you can hear some of the lag that I experience. I just don't think it's ready for prime time, if you have a large library and are a above average power user. It also crashed on my after an hour set (at home) twice. SSL is solid.
deejdave 9:30 PM - 30 August, 2014
What kind of laptop. Keep in mind this sister product is MUCH easier to maintain stability as it lacks MANY of the features SDJ has. Between Pitch N Time, Izotope FX, SYNC, Quantize, Performance modes (Slicer etc.) and now FLIP................................ this stuff does NOT come without the cost of upgraded hardware and there is simply NO WAY the requirements could be the same. Lastly as stated by Serato themselves there was not a single version of SSL (Including 2.5) that was bug free.

May I ask what your laptop specs are. Also keep in mind the fact that SDJ is able to make use of the 62 which was in fact designed for a different application is IMO awesome, no? I had issues with my 62 (again nothing huge) so I upgraded to the 64 which was made for SDJ and the issues had (luckily as I didn't do a damn thing different LOL) gone away with it. Don't take that the wrong way though the 62 is a solid mixer.

Serato DJ is still in its infancy but it has been nothing but solid for me but there will always be both ways about it. If I am completely honest I actually have a way (using my SL1) to crash SSL but have yet to find a solid way to crash SDJ. 85,000 file library, using HID in 1.6 the screens lag serato.com and now in 1.7 beta the crates are showing up in the wrong order the second I open it serato.com so DON'T get me wrong I won't even pretend it is perfect in any way.

I just have workarounds for both and the advantages gained are FAR greater than these miniscule issues I have so for me it's SDJ all day every day. I have the DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SX, RAne 64, DJM-900SRT, DDJ-SP1, CDJ-2000's, Rane 64 and I just purchased the PLX-1000's two days ago and I am loving it all.

ALLLLLLL this being said though I have to be honest whenever I want to whip out my TT setup (ATM 1210's, Urei 1620 & SL4) I will ALWAYS use SSL and I probably always will so I say long live SSL and if it works for you there is nothing wrong with it. It certainly overall has the stability over SDJ just give things time is all which is seemingly exactly what you guys are planning to do LOL.
dj_double_s 7:06 PM - 31 August, 2014
So, my laptop is the MacBook Pro 15" that just came out in June. I think it's more than equipped for SDJ. Before that it was the 2011 MacBook Pro 15". I appreciate what they're trying to do with the features in SDJ, but once you have any kind of issues you get skittish on the product as a whole.

Also, big difference between SDJ and SSL when it was same point in development cycle: there was no alternative system. People wanted to be digital, they just plowed ahead with SSL.
deejdave 7:27 PM - 31 August, 2014
Quote:
Also, big difference between SDJ and SSL when it was same point in development cycle: there was no alternative system. People wanted to be digital, they just plowed ahead with SSL.

Excellent point. It was do or die for OG Serato users. Yeah I hear ya with the laptops. Things that work on paper just sometimes don't I guess. The ARE getting better though. While they should put more attention into stability I guess they are attempting to stay current & innovative for those who are not experiencing issues. I a perfect world BOTH would be realities. Thus both individuals who are problem free (like me) as well as those who have issues (like yourselves) would be catered to and happy.

There is one clear advantage gained here that is coming out of this either way though. Lots of money being made off the mountains of both new & old customers for Serato.
Money = R&D.
R&D = results.
Results = progress.
Progress = appeal.
Appeal = customers.
Customers = money.
Repeat.
djransom 5:29 PM - 2 September, 2014
I'm in the process now of trying to sell my 909 so that I can grab a 61 to use with my tables. I personally prefer SDJ over SSL.