DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Purchasing Equipment for a Hotel

Martín Miguel 4:14 PM - 22 August, 2014
Hey y'all, I've been brought in as the talent booker for a hotel franchise in DC, and have been tasked with purchasing some gear for them to have in-house, which I think will help reduce costs via DJ fees overall and likely save effort on everyone's part.

Performance space Wed-Saturday is a small/medium rooftop bar, and they want music for brunch on Sundays too (indoors in a larger restaurant/lounge set up).

The hotel currently only has a pair of QSC powered speakers (10" I think), and I'd like to see if I can acquire a proper setup for them.

What are my best options? I also want to be price conscious, as I assume they don't want to be shelling out 4 grand for two CDJ's and a mixer.

I have 1200's and a Rane empath at home, but I realize that's a slightly antiquated and specific set-up.

I was checking out the new PLX-1000, but thought perhaps at this point CDJ's would be more versatile and appropriate. As far as the mixer goes, I'm leaning towards a DJM-850 or 900.
the doc of funk dj rod 6:09 PM - 22 August, 2014
First!! what type of music will the DJ'S be playing?
If it's EDM, Go with the DJM 900 SRT and a pair of CDJ'S.
If it's hip hop or more of a party rocking DJ. Go with 1200's and the Rane 62 or 64. very easy to use and quick dj change over.
JDforKing 6:17 PM - 22 August, 2014
I'm thinking a pair of pioneer cdj 850 (i've seen them on ebay for about $650 a piece) and a pioneer djm 800 would probably be the most universal inexpensive set up. If a dj request turntables you can provide yours.
Papa Midnight 6:41 PM - 22 August, 2014
Why make life difficult on yourself?

Get a 1st Generation NS7 (you could probably find one used for less than $700) and make everyone happy. That way, there's no fuss over timecodes, or needles breaking, and you have a solid unit with a proven track record over the past 5 years.

This also increases your available budget for sound (and lighting if applicable).

Not to mention it's more space conscious...
geeunot 6:49 PM - 22 August, 2014
Get some more k10s and add a kw181 sub in the mix. As for a setup: 2 x 1200s and an SRT.
JDforKing 6:49 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Why make life difficult on yourself?

Get a 1st Generation NS7 (you could probably find one used for less than $700) and make everyone happy. That way, there's no fuss over timecodes, or needles breaking, and you have a solid unit with a proven track record over the past 5 years.

This also increases your available budget for sound (and lighting if applicable).

Not to mention it's more space conscious...

From what i gathered he is putting together something for all DJs. Not all djs use serato, so a NS7 might not work.
lvmez 6:54 PM - 22 August, 2014
Get some used pioneer cdj-2000's and a djm-850.
eugguy 7:29 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Get some used pioneer cdj-2000's and a djm-850.

This can work. Also, 1200's and an empath are still solid. Any dj's worth their weight should at least know how to mix on that. It doesn't really sound like you'll be catering to specific dj's. The cdj lineup will prob work best.
Martín Miguel 8:15 PM - 22 August, 2014
Thanks for the responses, y'all.

Musically, the joint likes to keep it classy. I usually play deep disco/funk edits and some slow house grooves for my residency there, and most of the deejays will be playing equally eclectic and laid-back stuff.

I'm definitely partial to vinyl decks myself, my hesitation is that CDJ's offer a tad more versatility than 1200's (you can use flash drives, etc) and might even be considered more common these days.

All that being said, there's a good chance the hotel says "fuck that" and refuses to get their own gear. In which case, the selectors I book will have to bring their own deck(s), which might lead to more expensive fee. For reference, I'm offering $200 a night for weeknights and $250 for weekends (three or four hour sessions).
geeunot 9:36 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the responses, y'all.

Musically, the joint likes to keep it classy. I usually play deep disco/funk edits and some slow house grooves for my residency there, and most of the deejays will be playing equally eclectic and laid-back stuff.

I'm definitely partial to vinyl decks myself, my hesitation is that CDJ's offer a tad more versatility than 1200's (you can use flash drives, etc) and might even be considered more common these days.

All that being said, there's a good chance the hotel says "fuck that" and refuses to get their own gear. In which case, the selectors I book will have to bring their own deck(s), which might lead to more expensive fee. For reference, I'm offering $200 a night for weeknights and $250 for weekends (three or four hour sessions).

Not bad....I'd bring my SZ and be set to go.!
Niro 11:27 PM - 22 August, 2014
I would say no on the NS7, I've never played on one and would hesitate to do so. Really no point of a moving platter controller if you can't control the slickness of the platter.

I would say a Rane 62 and CDJ 850's or CDJ900's. You can probably get the 62 for around 15-1700 and the 850 for $600-650. All new and under warranty. With this option, you can also get a pair of used 1200's for $600-800 or have the talent bring in their own. The 62 is becoming a standard in a lot of venues now. It will also work with Traktor if needed, also no SL box needed.

If you really want to go with a Pioneer mixer, I would with the regular 900 no the SRT. It will save you money and most people will use their own Box anyways, for now, the only people really using an 900SRT are people that have one at home.
Papa Midnight 11:57 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
I would say no on the NS7, I've never played on one and would hesitate to do so. Really no point of a moving platter controller if you can't control the slickness of the platter.

You can do that with an NS7...
lvmez 12:49 AM - 23 August, 2014
I've never seen a venue have a controller as a permanent install. It doesn't work. The last thing you want is for it not to work and your screwed. At least with turntables or CDJ's you can still play. There should be enough room for a DJ to bring a controller if they want. My 2 cents.
Niro 4:55 AM - 23 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You can do that with an NS7...

Not sure how you would and also spindle not being directly linked to the platter is a bummer. Maybe you're right, but I would still have to vote no on the NS7.
Papa Midnight 6:02 AM - 23 August, 2014
Taipanic 3:47 PM - 23 August, 2014
Rane 64 & Pioneer CDJs. Anyone playing clubs in the last decade would feel comfortable with that setup and having the extra channels allows more flexibility and backup options. Controller would be too limiting with lots of unknown DJs playing on it - it they break something, you're pretty much screwed.
Make sure there's a decent monitor for the booth and some subs to balance out the mids/highs on the main floor. Also make sure there is room in the booth for extra controllers/dual setup.
geeunot 6:28 PM - 25 August, 2014
Quote:
Rane 64 & Pioneer CDJs. Anyone playing clubs in the last decade would feel comfortable with that setup and having the extra channels allows more flexibility and backup options. Controller would be too limiting with lots of unknown DJs playing on it - it they break something, you're pretty much screwed.
Make sure there's a decent monitor for the booth and some subs to balance out the mids/highs on the main floor. Also make sure there is room in the booth for extra controllers/dual setup.

Rane 64 is way too cluttered. No one would benefit from such a big mixer. 62 is starting to become standard like that one guy stated earlier. 62 + decks or cdjs and they are good to go.