DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Least Paid Dj Top 10

Dj-M.Bezzle 9:59 PM - 20 August, 2014
DJ Michael Timex 10:49 PM - 20 August, 2014
D-List dj's.....WE ALL WE GOT!!!!!
phonze 2:23 AM - 21 August, 2014
I'm number 10!
DJ Benny B NYC 4:20 PM - 21 August, 2014
It's very funny but not totally accurate...

The main problem is comparing wedding DJs and people who DJ in a bar to David Guetta and Calvin Harris. they have almost nothing in common and honestly, it's more insulting to Guetta and Harris than anyone else.

Second problem is the quoted pay for weddings seems low. The guy who wrote the article is from Canada, and I'm not sure about prices everywhere but I've never heard of anyone doing a wedding fr $500...

The store pay seems high. Most stores in NYC pay pretty low unless it's a one-off event.

They say "Resident DJs" get $150 to $300. In NYC id say its $300-$400 for a nice bar. Clubs are more. If you have 4 gigs a week paying $300, that's over $60,000 per year. You're not getting rich, but I wouldn't call that low paid either - especially not for someone who is just playing music in a bar.

Numbers 1 through 7 are basically just resident DJs in one form or another. No one would call themselves an "out of city" DJ or a "one-off" DJ. There are club DJs and wedding DJs.

But number 2? LOL! I guess he got ME there!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:38 PM - 21 August, 2014
Quote:

Second problem is the quoted pay for weddings seems low. The guy who wrote the article is from Canada, and I'm not sure about prices everywhere but I've never heard of anyone doing a wedding fr $500...

The store pay seems high. Most stores in NYC pay pretty low unless it's a one-off event.

They say "Resident DJs" get $150 to $300. In NYC id say its $300-$400 for a nice bar. Clubs are more. If you have 4 gigs a week paying $300, that's over $60,000 per year. You're not getting rich, but I wouldn't call that low paid either - especially not for someone who is just playing music in a bar.

There are plenty of guys around my way who will gladly do a wedding for $500 or less and $150 to $300 for a club night is accurate (you really cant use NYC prices as a typical #)

I agree the retail dj # sounds awefully high though
phonze 6:44 PM - 21 August, 2014
Yeah I've seen plenty of guys doing weddings that cheap. Just poke around craigslist and I see it. As for the retail, that is high for the average I'd say. I'm sure there are tons more that do it for store credit or something.
Logisticalstyles 7:42 PM - 21 August, 2014
I'd say retail was about right. When I did retail stores I was getting $350 for 4 hours of spinning.
Logisticalstyles 7:43 PM - 21 August, 2014
I guess it depends if you are approaching the store yourself or going through an agency. Agencies get you more money for in stores.
phonze 7:46 PM - 21 August, 2014
It's definitely possible, I just don't know if it's the norm kind of thing. For one off events or special store sales for sure, you'll get anywhere between 250-500 for 2-4 hour in store gigs.
Dj Shamann 8:23 PM - 21 August, 2014
LOL I think the only one that was wrong was the wedding one, no this is article isn't supposed to be serious, it more exaggerates the ridiculousness of some dudes on the "DJ scene"

I don't do many weddings but I make 3 times that amount when doing them, and I'm not nearly one of the big dogs in that arena.

My fav is #3

Quote:
Featuring a rotating lineup of Virtual DJ hopefuls, these performers bring their friends out to hear them play for 20 minutes. They will be judged on song choice (arbitrary), crowd reaction (how many people they bring out), technicality (because the GM is totally paying attention), and vibe. In exchange, they walk out with the potential to open for a DJ at another club for no money.

HAHA I've said the same thing for years any time I see someone mention these "competitions"
DJ Benny B NYC 8:39 PM - 21 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

There are plenty of guys around my way who will gladly do a wedding for $500 or less

Damn ok!!
DJ Michael Timex 11:05 PM - 21 August, 2014
#6 all day....
R-Tistic 12:09 AM - 22 August, 2014
Yea...this article is pretty silly.

A lot of DJ's do way more than just one isolated type. Hell, I was in a contest, the McDonald's one, and won a legit $10,000 (PLUS hella burgers)...and I've DJ'd at a few stores...and in six different cities + Africa, getting paid, and did a Greek party that paid better than all clubs do, and Weddings that paid more than $750, and been a resident, and done one offs...hell, I might as well change my name to DJ R. Turner or something so I can get all ten of those "lowest paid" gigs covered!
DJ Reflex 12:33 AM - 22 August, 2014
Weddings... eh, $600 - $800 seems right for me in my area. I get a lot of calls for $100 weddings, but I don't budge (and I'm booked solid this year). I'm at the local average for weddings and school events.
Did a few department stores, but not for anywhere near $250! Yikes - I got duped.
Kristian Valdini 2:48 PM - 22 August, 2014
DJ sets out here (Dubai) tend to be pretty fair, around the $400-500 per set (2-3hrs) for a club/bar.

Corporate gigs (product launches etc) are about double that, and weddings etc are considered the worst, but the guys that play them can almost charge what they want - $800 - $1200.

All you wedding DJs out there should up sticks and move out here ha ha... they are the best paying gigs and none of us want to play them!

K
R-Tistic 8:47 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:

All you wedding DJs out there should up sticks and move out here ha ha... they are the best paying gigs and none of us want to play them!

K

I thought about it and yeah, maybe it's because L.A. has a much higher pay scale for Weddings...so DJ's may not want to do them just because they're Weddings, until they realize how much you can get. I know folks who consistently charge $2K-$3K for them, especially those with the celebrity type clientele.
DJ Reflex 9:24 PM - 22 August, 2014
Clientele is everything. I do a bridal expo every year at NIU (Dekalb). A higher priced wedding buddy of mine won't touch it. He knows that the brides are mostly poor college chicks who are in debt up to their ears already and can't afford a DJ over $500-600. I don't mind those types of gigs... they come with nicer, more civilized brides! High price usually equals high maintenance bridezillas!