Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

MixEmergency 2.7...now with Sample Player

Dj Nyce 3:33 PM - 18 August, 2014
so MixEmergency 2.7 has been released and includes bug fixes, performance increases and a sample player.

The sample player has 8 slots, 4 banks and 72 presets. the sample player has a ton of editing features so you can control things like if its a one-shot or loop, whether it plays forwards or backwards, duration, etc. some of the parameters can be animated as well.

the sample player supports alpha channels and is 100% midi mappable.

2.7 also adds gpu-accelerated playback via the HAP codec. which is better performing than prores. it's already in use with other apps such as vpt and resolume.

2.7 also adds animated gif support, video rate controls, blend modes for qc overlays and a whole bunch of bug fixes and optimization.

www.inklen.com
djkurve 5:23 PM - 18 August, 2014
Man ME just keeps on getting better and better! IMO the Serato team should just give up all hope on SV. Especially since they won't have any updates for it in Serato DJ 1.7
skinnyguy 5:38 PM - 18 August, 2014
oh

mah

gooness
djcrap 5:53 PM - 18 August, 2014
The best investment i have ever made was switching from serato video to

Hands down

Game changer
djcrap 5:58 PM - 18 August, 2014
Oh did i say mixemergency.

My bad i got too excited thinking about how centuries a go i disabled serato video in plugins
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:11 PM - 18 August, 2014
Now give me text 2 screen with some realizable windows and ill gladly jump to the Serato/ME side........
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:12 PM - 18 August, 2014
Resize able windows*

Stupid smart phone.....
Dj Owe 7:42 PM - 18 August, 2014
damn inklen are doing an awesome job,
djcrap 9:21 PM - 18 August, 2014
Quote:
Resize able windows*

Stupid smart-ass phone.....

Fixed
radikarl 8:06 PM - 24 August, 2014
Tutorial
youtube.com

Sorry for the loud airhorn :P
radikarl 8:08 PM - 24 August, 2014
youtu.be
Fixed link
Sorry
dj easy jay 3:42 PM - 1 September, 2014
Hey Dj Nyce I have ME How would hap be useful I'm NOT sure what hap is. Would I have to confer my mp4s to Hap?
Dj Nyce 5:43 PM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
Hey Dj Nyce I have ME How would hap be useful I'm NOT sure what hap is. Would I have to confer my mp4s to Hap?

hap is a video codec that uses your gpu instead of your cpu for video playback. you can use more hap encoded videos at the same time at higher resolutions with hardly any cpu usage. keep in mind that hap encoded movies will play in any quicktime supported application, but for the performance gains, the application has to support hap.

i wouldn't recommend encoding full length videos with hap. but short clips for the media bank, sample player or for use in other apps such as vdmx, vpt, coge, etc are perfect for hap.
dj easy jay 7:26 PM - 1 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

hap is a video codec that uses your gpu instead of your cpu for video playback. you can use more hap encoded videos at the same time at higher resolutions with hardly any cpu usage. keep in mind that hap encoded movies will play in any quicktime supported application, but for the performance gains, the application has to support hap.

i wouldn't recommend encoding full length videos with hap. but short clips for the media bank, sample player or for use in other apps such as vdmx, vpt, coge, etc are perfect for hap.

Cool thnx
Frankie Glasses 6:42 PM - 2 September, 2014
Anyone know of a way to overlay/bring to front the clip from the sample player when triggered? I currently run the IG quartz and when i trigger a clip from sample player it is still shows behind the quartz. I know i can probably midi the off switch for the quartz when i trigger the sample player but was looking for something simpler.
Dj Nyce 7:11 PM - 2 September, 2014
Quote:
Anyone know of a way to overlay/bring to front the clip from the sample player when triggered? I currently run the IG quartz and when i trigger a clip from sample player it is still shows behind the quartz. I know i can probably midi the off switch for the quartz when i trigger the sample player but was looking for something simpler.

the render order has the quartz overlay after the sample player. the only to get around that is to make sure your qtz has alpha.
Frankie Glasses 7:29 PM - 2 September, 2014
Thanks for the info. Nick @ ME would be the only one that could change the render order then?
Frankie Glasses 7:31 PM - 2 September, 2014
I didnt design the quartz and not sure how to change it to alpha channel but will do some research. I think xplcyt did it.
Dj Nyce 8:54 PM - 2 September, 2014
yeah that would be code change. but this is how it should be. short samples and loops for the sample player should be over everything else. think lower thirds, logos, etc.

what you can try is to put the qtz in the sample player and set it to loop. the sample player is rendered in order from left to right with right being the topmost slot.

i haven't tested qtz's in the sample player, but its a supported ME format so...should work.

i don't have my precious at the moment, but i will test later.
Frankie Glasses 1:02 AM - 3 September, 2014
but since i use the instagram quartz it should still work in the sample player?
Dj Nyce 1:32 AM - 3 September, 2014
i just tested it with twitter quartz. here are some observations.

-sample player plays qtz just fine.
-no need to turn loop on, the qtz will play indefinitely until you stop it.
-if it's not in the leftmost slot, you have to turn alpha on or the entire qtz billboard will cover up all samples to the left of it.

i'm not sure what your instagram qtz looks like, but if its anything like the twitter or facebook, it should have alpha.
Frankie Glasses 1:34 AM - 3 September, 2014
Ok cool! Thanks for checking that out Nyce! Ill check later and hopefully it works
Frankie Glasses 1:38 AM - 3 September, 2014
Ok just tested it and it works!!! I have slots that i want to use for drinks specials or drops so this comes in handy!
radikarl 7:43 AM - 3 September, 2014
cool workaround! just remember it will unload when you switch banks
DJ KASIR 7:28 PM - 4 September, 2014
Hey guys,

one question: hap does not have less amount of data, right?
It's still a mov-file, only with an other codec which has all the benefits mentioned above...?!

Thanks in advance.
Joshua Carl 7:53 PM - 4 September, 2014
www.inklen.com

its "closer" to an uncompressed file (so dontt code your videos in this!!!)
it also has a alpha setting in it.

so when you are firing off 5 of them, and running over 2 1080p videos, your computer dont shit itself trying to decode 7 hd sources at once. the video card takes a hit on it ( " GPU-Accelerated video " )
skinnyguy 9:34 PM - 4 September, 2014
if i understand correctly, hap encoded files are larger than a "regular" encoded mp4.

the trade-off is hap uses less cpu, more gpu, but is a larger file.
Code:E 11:50 PM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
if i understand correctly, hap encoded files are larger than a "regular" encoded mp4.

the trade-off is hap uses less cpu, more gpu, but is a larger file.

yes and to be clear larger files don't use up more power, they actually use less since there is less to decode.

Also to note you video card is currently doing very little work well video DJing anyway. It can handle a much greater load, so moving things away from CPU is a great thing.
Bwild 2:33 PM - 8 September, 2014
Afternoon all...

ok so im New to the VJ'ING world and could really do with a bit of help...
im using Serato DJ and a Rane Sixty Four... the mixer outputs BPM to Resolume Arena and all my keys on my mixer are mapped back to resolume... that works EPICLY by the way and there is SOO much to play with.....

what i am stuggling with is content which by the looks of it no on on here seems to find that a problem... would love to add twitter feeds and editable text ect to my lower third i just have no clue how to get started.... can anyone help me...
DJGongshow 7:12 PM - 16 September, 2014
Does anyone have the sample player in 2.7 working with Serato Remote, specifically the bank select?

I prefer the Remote app over a midi controller for the ability to show sample names on the buttons, but it doesn't appear to be mappable as a MIDI device for MixEmergency to fire samples and change banks.

Alternatively, any recommendations on a MIDI controller with a bank select function that works well with MixEmergency?
Joshua Carl 7:23 PM - 16 September, 2014
it would seem that the remote operates via a closed communication with serato.
(one of the reasons why its one of the only apps that can run over a lightning cable with no network)

so unless serato makes their commands in remote midi-out as well, I dont think we will see that. but by all means, thats a hell of a suggestion to make to serato:
serato.com

the other "work around" alot of us use is Lemur or TouchOSC
you can build and design your own layout and map serato and Mix Emergency how ever you like.

the only flaw with that, id that serato remote does NOT run in the background.
you swipe off the app, and it disconnects.
as I suggested here... in JANUARY
serato.com
Code:E 11:19 PM - 16 September, 2014
Serato should have a proper midi out, which could then trigger the ME sample bank... But you know.... Serato not one to give us features like that.
XRM5 12:30 PM - 17 September, 2014
It would be better if the 2 sample players could sync automatically.

Maybe in the future?
DocOptic 3:13 AM - 25 September, 2014
Just uploaded a tutorial that goes in-depth with the Sample Player in MixEmergency 2.7 along with Serato DJ integration to trigger samples in sync with BPM. Hope y'all find it useful!

docoptic.com
Joshua Carl 3:45 AM - 25 September, 2014
^^^ Excellent! and Loving the visuals!
Joshua Carl 3:48 AM - 25 September, 2014
Ive been doing mostly, the 1 shot cheeky samples... but I recently started exploring the overlays with audio to give alot of the zzzzzzzz dance videos more flare.
DocOptic 4:15 AM - 25 September, 2014
Right on, thanks. There's definitely a bunch of new ways to layer visuals and add more variation to existing videos with the sample player. I'm really hoping Inklen adds effects to the Sample Player!
dj easy jay 3:04 PM - 11 October, 2014
Ok I figure out hoy to encode to hap someone please explain in detail thank you much
DJMark 1:38 AM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
Ok I figure out hoy to encode to hap someone please explain in detail thank you much

If you expect "someone" to "explain in detail", the least you could do is write clearly about what the hell it is you're trying to do.

Seriously....
dj easy jay 1:48 AM - 12 October, 2014
@ DJMARK Well I see advise from you advised be you would be would be useless.. Thanx but no thnx
dj easy jay 1:50 AM - 12 October, 2014
@ Anyone else besides DJmark I am trying to figure out how to encode from mp4 to HAP. Just trying new things any help would be useful
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:14 AM - 12 October, 2014
Mpegstream will convert it I believe............

As for Mark the knows a ton of shit and is a big source of help around here, I wouldn't write him off.......
DocOptic 4:41 AM - 12 October, 2014
Let me help you out.

1. Download and install the HAP Codec:
github.com

2. Use any of the following software to convert to HAP:
• MPEG Streamclip (www.squared5.com)
• Handbrake (handbrake.fr)
• Quicktime Pro (store.apple.com)

3. Load your file into these apps and Export. Make sure to choose the HAP codec and adjust your settings. These are my recommended Quicktime settings:
• Hap
• Quality - Best
• Data Rate - Automatic
• Frame Rate - Current

Hope that helps.
Code:E 10:48 PM - 12 October, 2014
easy jay is "easy" clearly. Dude learn how to form a proper sentence and give a hell of alot more detail. DJ Mark is one of the most experienced users on here and you would be well advised to take any advice he has for you and run with it.
nik39 11:24 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
easy jay is "easy" clearly. Dude learn how to form a proper sentence and give a hell of alot more detail. DJ Mark is one of the most experienced users on here and you would be well advised to take any advice he has for you and run with it.

+1 on fail, not listening to DJMark.
DJMark 9:06 PM - 13 October, 2014
Thanks guys...

easy jay: your original sentence was made no sense: "Ok I figure out hoy to encode to hap someone please explain in detail thank you much".

My point was that if you're going to ask for other people's time, effort and thoughts, it's best to at least take the minimal effort required to form a coherent sentence/posting. If not, you make readers think "why bother?"...plus, until your indignant "participation-trophy/validation generation"-style responses, I seriously doubt anyone else here knew what you were asking either.
popnwave 11:47 PM - 13 October, 2014
Whoops I gonna give the guy some slack thinking he was outside the US.. nope he's from the northeast..
ta2423 1:38 PM - 14 October, 2014
Since when did youngsters start listening when grown folks talk?
DJGongshow 1:07 PM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:
it would seem that the remote operates via a closed communication with serato.
(one of the reasons why its one of the only apps that can run over a lightning cable with no network)

so unless serato makes their commands in remote midi-out as well, I dont think we will see that. but by all means, thats a hell of a suggestion to make to serato:
serato.com

the other "work around" alot of us use is Lemur or TouchOSC
you can build and design your own layout and map serato and Mix Emergency how ever you like.

the only flaw with that, id that serato remote does NOT run in the background.
you swipe off the app, and it disconnects.
as I suggested here... in JANUARY
serato.com

Thanks for the advice... I got Lemur working with both MixEmergency and my DMX lighting software. One observation to share... the Lemur daemon works nicely over lightning connection when USB personal hotspot is enabled, and with no WiFi connection. Still using a second iPad for Serato Remote until it's MIDI mappable.

Cheers!
Joshua Carl 7:27 PM - 27 October, 2014
thanks man, ill have to try that!!!!
DJMark 9:11 PM - 27 October, 2014
Only problem with "personal hotspot"...I don't think there's any way to use it on a wifi-only iPad.
Joshua Carl 9:19 PM - 27 October, 2014
no you can, that's what i have.

create network, always have a password, done.
DJMark 9:24 PM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:
no you can, that's what i have.

create network, always have a password, done.

Create the network on the computer, or on the iPad?

If you mean on the computer, that's an ad-hoc network, and that is what got debased (you can't set a password any more) in Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite.

If you're doing something different, please explain....
Dj Owe 9:58 PM - 27 October, 2014
PS bluetooth connection works perfectly fine with lemur.

used it for a whole year controlling resolume mix emergency and scratch live.
Joshua Carl 12:56 AM - 28 October, 2014
I either create the network on my computer, adhoc
Or on my iphone 5, hotspot

Never tried using the iPad itself though
DJMark 1:02 AM - 28 October, 2014
Yea you can't "hotspot" with a non-cellular device.

I did try Bluetooth awhile back...it seemed to have a bit more latency than I'd like. Since that was on older hardware (I think both computer and iPad were pre-Bluetooth 4.0) I should try that again now.
DJMark 4:09 AM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
PS bluetooth connection works perfectly fine with lemur.

used it for a whole year controlling resolume mix emergency and scratch live.

Thank you for bringing this up....I hadn't tried it in quite a while, but on a mid-2014 MBP and iPad Air 2, the response seems nice and snappy.

I don't see any way to shut off "discoverability" on either device though...do you end up dealing with a lot of connection-requests when doing gigs?
DJMark 5:22 AM - 28 October, 2014
Although Lemur over Bluetooth seems to work fine between iOS 8.1 iPad and OS 10.9.4 MBP, it does not seem to work at all connecting to a MBP running Yosemite.

I can do the Bluetooth connection itself to the Yosemite-running MBP, but Lemur (latest version) won't make contact.
DJMark 5:39 AM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
I don't see any way to shut off "discoverability" on either device though...do you end up dealing with a lot of connection-requests when doing gigs?

Looks like Apple has gotten clever and discoverability is only on when the Bluetooth preferences are opened...verified with a third device. So that issues seems moot. Too bad about Yosemite, probably something Lemur needs to work out in the daemon software.
Dj Mutha Fuckin Epic 8:41 PM - 21 November, 2014
wait, so if i buy mix emergency... and it knocks my sox off like everyone says it will.... essentially i just wasted money on serato video plugin?
popnwave 8:57 PM - 21 November, 2014
I wouldn't say that, SV just doesn't get the love development wise. I think it's good to have that license incase somewhere down the road they have a feature that is integrated with SDJ that blows you away.
Code:E 10:59 PM - 23 November, 2014
You should have Serato video just as a backup. But Yes it will blow your socks off and you might feel that way.
sappysport215 2:46 PM - 22 January, 2015
I am still indecisive about which video plugin I should get for my scratch love using a MACBOOK pro 2014 model, but from what I read so far it looks like ME is the way to go cause it has more software support?

I really like the simplicity of serato DJ, but if serato does not have as much support for thier software as much as ME has then it looks like Imma purchase the ME...

Hopefully in the future ME and SDJ can integrate as ONE...
skinnyguy 6:22 PM - 22 January, 2015
they already work together
sappysport215 6:43 PM - 22 January, 2015
I mean as a reBrand, Example... "Introducing the all new Serato Mix Emergency video software" or something of that sort where u can download everything from the official Serato.com site.
Code:E 10:03 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
I am still indecisive about which video plugin I should get for my scratch love using a MACBOOK pro 2014 model, but from what I read so far it looks like ME is the way to go cause it has more software support?

You literally wont find a single person telling you to get Serato Video over ME. Not one.

Quote:
Hopefully in the future ME and SDJ can integrate as ONE...

Wont happen and there's no demand for that. The video guys who do video lots dont want it. Once you get used to using ME the way it is you will realize why its better. ME is all about customization. No 2 video DJs play there videos the same way.
Quote:
I mean as a reBrand, Example... "Introducing the all new Serato Mix Emergency video software" or something of that sort where u can download everything from the official Serato.com site.

There no need for this... If it just to put your fears at ease (not sure what you have fears about) then you're not someone pushing the edge of their technology. Most video guys are pushing the edge. Maybe video is not for you.
sappysport215 10:25 PM - 22 January, 2015
Thanks Cody, so I'm guessing there's gonna be no merge in the future?

With ME not being "official" with serato and all I think it's pretty dope that serato finally supports ME now.

djworx.com
sappysport215 10:27 PM - 22 January, 2015
sappysport215 10:27 PM - 22 January, 2015
Daymmit the dj worx doesn't seem to be working from my phone
sappysport215 10:28 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Daymmit the dj worx doesn't seem to be working from my phone

The dj worx link on the artice doesn't seem to be working from my phone
djnak 10:44 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:

With ME not being "official" with serato and all I think it's pretty dope that serato finally supports ME now.
/

February 19, 2014: Inklen is proud to announce official compatibility with Serato DJ in version 2.4 of MixEmergency – Inklen’s industry-leading Video DJing software.
sappysport215 10:49 PM - 22 January, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
/

February 19, 2014: Inklen is proud to announce official compatibility with Serato DJ in version 2.4 of MixEmergency – Inklen’s industry-leading Video DJing software.

Yup that's it.