DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

JBL Eon 515XT vs RCF 312a

Jairen 12:51 PM - 9 August, 2014
Looking to order some new mains.

I know the RCF 312a's are awesome and sound very well. I've used them at many gigs (friends set) and the clarity is fantastic.

Currently, the JBL 515xt' s are going for about $399 shipped.

Any thoughts?
rayjthedj 1:15 PM - 9 August, 2014
Do you mind expanding on your needs?

Budget
Type gigs or music played
Will you use a sub
Any lifting or size limits
Do you plan on expanding the system
Joee 1:37 PM - 9 August, 2014
i'm gonna throw another speaker in the running for you, i used to own 312-amkIII i sold the and got a pair of RCF FD12-A they cost the same as 312's and have a better bass response
shop.chucklevins.com
Jairen 5:10 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:

Budget
Will you use a sub

Budget: $2500k
Type gigs or music played: Typical mobile gigs. Weddings, corporate, etc 2-400 attendants.
Will you use a sub: I have my eye on 2 JBL EON518S
Any lifting or size limits: None that I can think of.
Do you plan on expanding the system: At my current budget and gig load, 2 mains with 2 subs that will compliment the mains.
djattila 5:35 PM - 9 August, 2014
Stay away from eon anything
rayjthedj 5:38 PM - 9 August, 2014
Is the $2500.00 for a pair of tops or for tops and subs, because if it is just for the tops you have a bunch of great choices.

If it is for a pair of tops and subs then it is a little tight if you plan on 200-400 people.

I use a pair of EV-ZLX12P tops ($650.00 a pair) and a single EV-ETX15SP sub ($1,300.00) for crowds up to 150 people. I add a second sub for up to 250 people. When I go over 250 people or a large room, I use a pair of EV-ETX12P tops and four EV-ETX15SP subs, occasionally using my ZLX12P tops as fills.

I will usually spend more money on a quality sub, than on high power or 15" tops. Once you cross a descent 8", 10" or 12" top at 100hz it will play pretty loud if you have a good sub to back it up.

Good luck with your system build!
Joee 5:45 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Stay away from eon anything

this

Quote:
Quote:

Budget
Will you use a sub

Budget: $2500k
Type gigs or music played: Typical mobile gigs. Weddings, corporate, etc 2-400 attendants.
Will you use a sub: I have my eye on 2 JBL EON518S
Any lifting or size limits: None that I can think of.
Do you plan on expanding the system: At my current budget and gig load, 2 mains with 2 subs that will compliment the mains.

you have a nice budget if you can up it $300 you can buy

two rcf sub 705-as
www.rcf.it

& two rcf art 312-a
www.rcf.it

i tell you from experience this is one nice sounding system & it will suit your needs
imagizer.imageshack.us

but i strongly advise you to look at the rcf fd12-a i sold my 312-a for them and there are better
shop.chucklevins.com

also go to kpodj.com and register on there website so you can see vip pricing for there rcf gear, if not registered you will see regular prices
Jairen 6:18 PM - 20 August, 2014
So many options to choose from...Thanks for all of the suggestions. I still haven't made my decision.

Picking a sub is a PIA. Everyone locally is telling me 1 QSC KW181 is the way to go with it's "clean" sounding bass and quality track record over 2 JBL EON 518S's.
Joee 11:31 PM - 21 August, 2014
Quote:
So many options to choose from...Thanks for all of the suggestions. I still haven't made my decision.

Picking a sub is a PIA. Everyone locally is telling me 1 QSC KW181 is the way to go with it's "clean" sounding bass and quality track record over 2 JBL EON 518S's.

i would recumbent the qsc kw181 …..but not the eon tops
Joee 11:31 PM - 21 August, 2014
^recommend
Joee 11:40 PM - 21 August, 2014
have you considered one jbl prx 718xlf & two jbl prx712's? it's in you budget
djbs 4:02 AM - 22 August, 2014
I am seeing the 515XT's at $350 a piece now. Doing smaller gigs and not really wanting to pick up subs, is the extra $250-350 really worth it for a pair of RCF 312a's? I'm just seeing a lot of hate toward the JBLs, but I'm coming from the Cab series, which I have had for the last 10 years. I enjoy the thought of a five year warranty on the JBLs, but how is gigging out with the RCFs?
pdidy 6:02 AM - 22 August, 2014
BE CLEAR, the hate you hear is only for the entry level jbl eon series NOT the higher level jbl.
Joee 12:41 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
I am seeing the 515XT's at $350 a piece now. Doing smaller gigs and not really wanting to pick up subs, is the extra $250-350 really worth it for a pair of RCF 312a's? I'm just seeing a lot of hate toward the JBLs, but I'm coming from the Cab series, which I have had for the last 10 years. I enjoy the thought of a five year warranty on the JBLs, but how is gigging out with the RCFs?

the OLD EonG2 model were work horse speaker and everyone used them, they were not the best sounding speaker but they were the QSCK12 of there day…….the new ones are trash IMO

giving out RCF has been great for me clean sound no problems…...
Jairen 11:20 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
have you considered one jbl prx 718xlf & two jbl prx712's? it's in you budget

Good call. Haven't heard the PRX series in person though.

Since I've used RCF's for many gigs in the past 2 years, I think I will stick with RCF's. Yes the JBL EON's are cheap, but I'm afraid the sound quality won't match the 312a's I've grown accustomed to. Then the build quality of the KW181.

Now, will RCF's (312 or FD) match well in terms of sound with a KW181 or a matched set of the JBL's you mentioned work "better"? Sorry for the noob questions.