DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Akai Professional AMX (w DVS support? Shots Fired)

Robbie O 4:50 PM - 4 August, 2014
Watchwww.youtube.com

www.digitaldjtips.com

The game is changing... Looks like a lower cost option for DVS'ers

"here the big news is a built-in high-quality audio interface that is compatible out of the box with Serato DVS control vinyl. It has a mini Innofader crossfader built in, gain, EQ and filter knobs, and is clearly designed to be used at the heart of a DVS set-up"
Robbie O 4:55 PM - 4 August, 2014
Update: Looks like there something new coming down the pike called Serato Noise Map?

Looks like the DVS wall will be broken down for all... but at a cost as an "expansion pack"

check around 0:27 of the Youtube vid above
dj-freestyle 4:57 PM - 4 August, 2014
noise map is what serato dvs runs on and always has.
Will08272 4:59 PM - 4 August, 2014
The noise map is what's already on the serato control vinyl won't be anything new. The AMX is like a sl2/3/4 interface but with mixer controls.
dj-freestyle 5:00 PM - 4 August, 2014
and a innofader and cheap. i like it.
Will08272 5:02 PM - 4 August, 2014
It's pretty freaking cool, im sure the next version will have a built in ac and probably be used as a stand alone mixer. But other then that it's a really good product. Funny Serato waited for tech to get better, took the openess first offered by NI and now are primed to take over completly.
Robbie O 5:07 PM - 4 August, 2014
I think was interesting here is Rane's "rane" is ending. and its not just Pioneer. My bad on calling it the "New" Noise Map, I never had scratch live. But I'm intrigued as a controller lover who wants to go vinyl, but doesn't want to buy a $1250+ mixer/DVS. This may make me cross over and at least bedroom dj on vinyl.
Will08272 5:13 PM - 4 August, 2014
The AFX is cool but another is just another controller. The interesting product is the AMX and the DVS expansion add on. Some people will cringe at it being another add on, and it might be best for serato in the future to make SDJ freemium since there are a nice list of subjectively costly add ons.
djattila 5:20 PM - 4 August, 2014
Interesting
dj-freestyle 5:34 PM - 4 August, 2014
You cant stay afloat as a company and develope new stuff and keep a tech support team without charging . just doesnt work. updaes overall have been free but plugins should cost money. keeps the game tight.
geeunot 5:43 PM - 4 August, 2014
The AMX is looks dope! Seems like a great backup mixer, plus it has an innofader! Perfect for scratching. Not digging the outputs, however; adapters are always available.
AustinG 5:44 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
You cant stay afloat as a company and develope new stuff and keep a tech support team without charging . just doesnt work. updaes overall have been free but plugins should cost money. keeps the game tight.

I agree with some of what you said.. Companies that continue to innovate and create new products that have the best service (tech support, warranty, etc) are the companies that I like to deal with. I manage a warranty department and specialize in technical support in my full-time job, in manufacturing industry. We've been in business for over 15 years and are a world leader in this industry. We do exactly what you say can't be done, with all due respect. It does work. Plug-ins should cost money though just like accessories and add-ons for our equipment cost extra. Always remember that the standard multiplier for US dollar LIST PRICE is 400x's. That's why Technical Support should be free. Sell a good product and stand behind it with a great warranty.
Will08272 6:05 PM - 4 August, 2014
I ment more in line of the freemium app model of smartphone apps. Essentially SDJ Intro is that, and SDJ is free for the native controllers and rane interfaces. But SDJ Intro can just become SDJ and give access to everyone with supported controllers and they can bank on the plug ins. Already people get confused with which controllers support what version. Some people buy still controllers that only work with SDJ intro. So they have to pay 129 for SDJ then pay more for expansion packs. While your getting alot of what you pay for the average person doesnt look at it that way, and when you have cases of users of the SL1 & ttm 57 that have pretty much way into SDJ unless they buy the newer products. So the idea is make SDJ intro SDJ, and give more people access to the serato universe, bake in the then would be cost for the SDJ software license into whatever future controller, now users regardless of their controller have the software but can buy the expansions. And with the newly announced DVS expansion being $99 its pretty much the price of SDJ already so imagine in the future when its released saying buy SDJ for $129 & DVS expansion for $99 wont sit well with alot of people and make them consider other software. Now free software and then $99 dvs expansion, you already have the user locked into the software so the expansions become sort of logical purchases.
Dj Cnazte 1:17 AM - 23 October, 2014
I own the amx and its def worth the 225 i spent on it. Although it is rather same and the need some type of stand for it
Dj Cnazte 1:18 AM - 23 October, 2014
Rather small
deezlee 2:20 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
I own the amx and its def worth the 225 i spent on it. Although it is rather same and the need some type of stand for it
does it work as a stand alone mixer?
Jumbo Boogie 3:27 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
The AFX is cool but another is just another controller. The interesting product is the AMX and the DVS expansion add on. Some people will cringe at it being another add on, and it might be best for serato in the future to make SDJ freemium since there are a nice list of subjectively costly add ons.

Serato could introduce an Intro version of DVS with very basic functions like anylizing BPM's and being able to only play in Absolute mode, basic FX, and two decks only...maybe even remove basic key lock as well.
The Return of Dj Sparky 4:50 AM - 23 October, 2014
why would they give away a basic version it's $erato now their out to squeeze the orange for as much juice as possible
dj_soo 5:38 AM - 23 October, 2014
Are they though? The program is still free (with hardware). Just some of the cooler bells and whistles cost money now.

So many people here like to go on and on about how they don't need bells and whistles so voila - here we are with a program that allows the basics for free, but costs money to get those bells and whistles.

Also, like it or not, DVS and using turntables (and to a lesser extent CDJs), is now a specialized product. Most of the new DJs will press sync and not even need platters anymore.

That said, I do think it's a mistake to charge$100 for DVS support in their controllers when they're closest competitors (Traktor S4/S8) offer it free out of the box...
wadup 2:28 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:

where did purchase it from?
MPC O.G. 3:51 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:

Is it usb 1.1 or nah?
Jumbo Boogie 4:58 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
why would they give away a basic version it's $erato now their out to squeeze the orange for as much juice as possible

Didn't say the CV's were free.
eugguy 8:00 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Didn't say the CV's were free.

Nothing in life is free. Except SSL updates...but those days are long gone.
Taipanic 8:27 PM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:

That said, I do think it's a mistake to charge$100 for DVS support in their controllers when they're closest competitors (Traktor S4/S8) offer it free out of the box...

$100 Upgrade from NI for Scratch if you have a regular controller, like an S4.
deezlee 4:36 AM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
does it work as a stand alone mixer?

i think no but anybody know?
Joee 9:35 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
i think no but anybody know?

+1?
Will08272 10:19 PM - 24 October, 2014
Only bus powered so no standalone. Gotta save that for version 2.
deezlee 2:02 AM - 25 October, 2014
Shucks
s3kn0tr0n1c 1:35 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
what if powered by mobile phone charger?
Will08272 1:55 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
what if powered by mobile phone charger?

In theory maybe it could work but i doubt it. If someone has one they should try it and report back.
Joee 5:17 PM - 26 October, 2014
so it will work as a mixer as long as it's plugged into a computer
Will08272 6:05 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:

I assume it will be like any standard soundcard, don't know if the buttons on the mixer are midi, doesn't state anything in the manual or on the site about it working outside of SDJ, or how one would go about it.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:31 AM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:

From what ive read Im THINKING it would have to be run with SDJ. But hopefully SDJ allows the switch over between DVS and reg wax on screen. Same way as using a SL3. Would need an owner to confirm this however ;)
DJ Irv 1:59 PM - 27 October, 2014
The AMX feels incomplete. The fact it will always need a computer and you can transition between DJ's without losing power to the controller. Each person connecting to it has to pay $100 for a DVS license. I think the AMX is only cheap you don't plan sharing it.

I think someone out there can make a power supply for it that can piggy back the computers usb so that it can be a stand alone mixer and have computer connect without interruption.
eugguy 3:42 PM - 27 October, 2014
No one is forcing you to buy it or like it. For what it is worth, the AMX is a pretty sick deal and piece. People who are serious shouldn't really use a controller, and should stick with a stand alone unit. (TTM 56/57/61/62 etc...)
DJ Irv 3:51 PM - 27 October, 2014
Exactly my point. It's not for serious use.
DJ Irv 4:30 PM - 27 October, 2014
Anyone brave enough to try this out on an AMX?
www.amazon.com

it should let you power up the AMX using a usb phone charger and plug in the a laptop when needed. Not sure if it would short the Mac or AMX. Since the current's are running parallel it should not but, there are no guarantees.
DJ Ed Wong 1:35 AM - 30 October, 2014
If by "work as a stand alone mixer" you mean you can plug 2 CDs or TT into via the Chanel 1 and Chanel 2 inputs and use it as a mixer w/o using Serato DJ - the answer is NO

(and yes - I own an AMX)
DJ Ed Wong 1:39 AM - 30 October, 2014
Huh - another thread says Im wrong... I need to check this...
DJ Ed Wong 2:11 AM - 30 October, 2014
you can use the AMX as a "mixer" with a few of caveats

a) you have to buy the DVS expansion pack ($99)
b) it (the AMX) has to be connected to a computer as you use THRU mode in the DVS

dang

had I know this - I coulda saved an extra case at the gig last weekend (I brought along an MP2 to use as a sub mixer)

I use a Bose L1 with a ToneMatch, so there was no need to connect the mic to the AMX, it could go through the ToneMatch