Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark NS7 2 Issues

DJ Fluke 613 1:24 PM - 4 August, 2014
Hey everyone

I have tried getting answers on this before but I only received typical answers from serato (disable WiFi etc) type answers.

We have 2 NS72 setups on 2 macs having the same issue. Both running Sdj 1.6.3 with the official numark driver for 10.9 (driver version 3.x).

Both issues below are random but is really nerve racking when doing weddings. If someone from serato and numark can check this out it would be great. I have never had these issues before and it seems to have started more in 1.6.3... Had ns6, ns7fx, just ns72 issue...

Issue 1 : very randomly when hitting play on either side we have a slow start up. This only affects the play button and not cue. Even if the slow start up knob is off it still does it. My fix is to either hit cue first and then play or hit play and move the slow start knob back and forth to "initialize it". This is annoying. It seems like that knob even though physically is off in the midi background sdj thinks its at 100 percent or something. Hope that makes sense.

Issue 2: this is really the big problem. Both systems both channels randomly skip songs forward. Like sometimes 60 seconds + sometimes a few seconds.
I have been so nervous BC of this that I have been playing the first dances and stuff at weddings through vdj 8 with midi disabled. I just run it in the background . But when I have a client paying big bucks I don't want to worry about things that shouldn't happen. Both issues are random and there is particular order for this to occur. Its so random. Both macs have the latest os but don't say that's the issue as it happend when 1.6.3 was released I'm May Beginning of June. It seems to happen more now. Maybe the official driver Numark recently released causes the issues.as the beta they had seemed more stable , it still happend but not this much.

Please don't ask about WiFi bluethooth. This issue is between sdj and numark and not the Pc.

Has anyone experienced this ? Serato what can we do ?

Thank you.
DJ Fluke 613 1:29 PM - 4 August, 2014
Sorry for issue 2 there is NO particular order.
Mike from Chicago 4:23 PM - 4 August, 2014
I having the slow start up issue on the left "Full-time"

Here's some information that I sent to support:
This past weekend I ran into an annoying problem with my NS7ii Controller. While mixing in an out of tracks I have noticed that left deck started acting up.
With a track loaded on the left, pressed start to cue up song but release time on started seems like it needed to take time to pick up. Fortunately the track did play but took up to 30 seconds to get to correct pitch to sound understandable when played. Back cueing works and so did scratching.
Fortunately I have checked the following:
• Reverse switch was deactivated and set to normal playback
• 33 rpm mode is active
• Track release knob deactivate (I even turned the knob all the way up and back down to see if there was an issue but to no avail nothing changed)
• In order to continue playing tracks I has to deselect Lock Playing Deck as this allowed an tracks loaded on the left deck to play without pressing Start/Stop
• No EFX were utilized during use of controller, controller was in use for 3 hours prior to “Full-Time” Reverse issue on Left Deck.
• Loop and Loop Rolls are a part of my routine; could this have caused an issue?
• Pitch fader set to 16% and pitched used in the +2 to +4 range.
• Release and Brake setting turned off (set to 0) verified on controller as well as in configuration view settings.

Other information on my MacBook and Numark settings:
• Currently using 15.4” MacBook Pro *(late 2013) with Retina display (16gb ram w/500gb HD)
• NS7ii drivers installed before SDJ was installed (most current Maverick OSX)
• Serato DJ 1.6.3 was installed
• External drive plug via USB 3.0 to USB port on MBK
• External drives stated static and never shown signs of ejecting
• All tracks seemed to load without hesitating (video disabled)
• No application running in background on MacBook
• Wifi and Bluetooth turned off
• PC/Line/Mic toggle switches set to PC on Channel 1 & 2, Line on Channel 3 and Mic on Channel 4
• Channel Up-fader turned all the up, Gain knobs at 12 o’clock and Master Volume set at 2 o’clock
• Booth monitor plugged into Booth out
• XLR Microphone connected via Mic port on back of NS7ii
• Front Microphone set to OFF
• All tracks have been analyzed via SDJ 1.6.3 and gained at 94
• No corrupted files in library

My Questions
• Does the volume setting on the NS7ii controller effect controller performance? Is it possible for the controller audio to start clipping and then the controller “processor” starts to freak out?
• Are the touch strips on the Left and Right sensitive to room temperature?
• Are the touch strips on the Left and Right sensitive to a magnetized field? During use of the NS7ii a monitor was positioned in front of the controller near the left deck touch strip. Can this affect functionality of the controller?
Prior to my Late Model 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina display, I used a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with 10.8.5 OSX that had 8gb ram w/500 GB HD. I had an issue with Mid 2010 while having text to screen active in this format Requests? Tweet @djmixx649 It seemed as though SDJ 1.6.3 rejected any text that had symbols.

Any assistance on my Late 2013 MacBook Pro is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Mike
Mike from Chicago 4:25 PM - 4 August, 2014
Also, I just realized the skip in songs happend to me this weekend as well. Was playing a non-corrupted song and it skipped 30 seconds or so into the track. I honestly thought nothing of it until I read your post.
DJ Fluke 613 9:03 AM - 5 August, 2014
Hey man,

Let me know if they answer you. You bring up some good points about the touch strips.

We cannot disable them right ?
DJ Fluke 613 9:08 AM - 5 August, 2014
I think also with this 1.7 release our issue will not get looked at...
Mike from Chicago 12:14 PM - 5 August, 2014
To my knowledge, I don't believe there's a function to disable strips.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:18 AM - 22 August, 2014
Hi DJ Fluke 613,

Just following on from our discussion over here: serato.com

Issue #1:

Lucas asked you to adjust the start time, and you mentioned to him that this only applies that change to the next track. Then it seems to return to being a slow start again after the next track load?

So does that mean once you apply the "workaround" you can start/stop multiple times with the same song and it respects the start time correctly?

If you turn the motorised platters off, then apply the workaround by readjusting your start time to 0, what happens? Does the start time remain at 0 after loading the next track, or no?

Issue #2: Based on what you have said, I feel like the touchstrips may be sending faulty messages. I can't be certain, but we can try and find out - its a little tricky, but its the best method we have to figure this out, so please do your best to follow the recommendation.

We will need to monitor the MIDI that is being sent from your NS7 device to Serato DJ to determine whether my theory is true. You can use a free software called "MIDI monitor" to do that on mac, its really useful for troubleshooting. Here is a guide to get up to speed with it and download link: serato.com

So you run this program in the background while using Serato DJ and it logs every message. Two things you'll have to do in order to successfully find a rogue message if there is one:

1. Increase the amount of events that MIDI monitor remembers, try putting 1,000,000 in that field. During a session you will be sending a lot of messages, so you don't want it to fill up.

2. You will probably have to disable the motorised platters. Unfortunately because the platters send MIDI constantly it will make it really tricky to find any messages amongst all the platter data. You can still use them obviously, but if they aren't turning constantly, you shouldn't fill up that log so fast.

What we will be specifically looking for in this log is the same message the touchstrip sends, which is Control, Channel 3, Data 2, 0-127. If you upload the log to me though, I can help look for this message amongst all the others. If my theory is correct, this message should randomly happen even when you didn't use this touch strip, causing the track to jump around as you describe.

This also means that immediately after you see the issue, jump to MIDI monitor, save the log file and make a note of when you had the issue. Then we can narrow down the timeframe and hopefully spot the rogue message more easily.

I know this is a bit tricky, but it will be worth pinpointing the problem here so we know how to resolve it.

Thanks,

Martin
DJ Fluke 613 6:09 PM - 22 August, 2014
Quote:
Hi DJ Fluke 613,

Just following on from our discussion over here: serato.com

Issue #1:

Lucas asked you to adjust the start time, and you mentioned to him that this only applies that change to the next track. Then it seems to return to being a slow start again after the next track load?

Yes correct. If I load another song, it sometimes starts slow and sometimes not. To make it work ok, I again adjust the knob and it works for that time.

So does that mean once you apply the "workaround" you can start/stop multiple times with the same song and it respects the start time correctly?

Yes

Quote:
If you turn the motorised platters off, then apply the workaround by readjusting your start time to 0, what happens? Does the start time remain at 0 after loading the next track, or no?

I never tried. You need to understand, I don't sit there at a wedding and diagnose an issue when it happens. I just need to continue like as if nothing is wrong. But ill try this next time it comes up.

Quote:
Issue #2: Based on what you have said, I feel like the touchstrips may be sending faulty messages. I can't be certain, but we can try and find out - its a little tricky, but its the best method we have to figure this out, so please do your best to follow the recommendation.

We will need to monitor the MIDI that is being sent from your NS7 device to Serato DJ to determine whether my theory is true. You can use a free software called "MIDI monitor" to do that on mac, its really useful for troubleshooting. Here is a guide to get up to speed with it and download link: serato.com

So you run this program in the background while using Serato DJ and it logs every message. Two things you'll have to do in order to successfully find a rogue message if there is one:

1. Increase the amount of events that MIDI monitor remembers, try putting 1,000,000 in that field. During a session you will be sending a lot of messages, so you don't want it to fill up.

2. You will probably have to disable the motorised platters. Unfortunately because the platters send MIDI constantly it will make it really tricky to find any messages amongst all the platter data. You can still use them obviously, but if they aren't turning constantly, you shouldn't fill up that log so fast.

What we will be specifically looking for in this log is the same message the touchstrip sends, which is Control, Channel 3, Data 2, 0-127. If you upload the log to me though, I can help look for this message amongst all the others. If my theory is correct, this message should randomly happen even when you didn't use this touch strip, causing the track to jump around as you describe.

This also means that immediately after you see the issue, jump to MIDI monitor, save the log file and make a note of when you had the issue. Then we can narrow down the timeframe and hopefully spot the rogue message more easily.

I know this is a bit tricky, but it will be worth pinpointing the problem here so we know how to resolve it.

Ill try this this week end. Hopefully the issue appears after the calibration... Would it be better if I leave it on auto play at home for a few hours and then we can look at the file?

Thanks,

Martin
DJ Fluke 613 6:10 PM - 22 August, 2014
sorry I tought it would highlight my txt in a different color then yours... You can see my answers below yours...
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:04 AM - 23 August, 2014
No problems, I have edited the quotes so it makes more sense.

Quote:
I never tried. You need to understand, I don't sit there at a wedding and diagnose an issue when it happens. I just need to continue like as if nothing is wrong. But ill try this next time it comes up.

I completely understand and I am not expecting you to do some troubleshooting during a high pressure scenario wedding dance floor. I am just giving you some ideas or things to look into if you do have the opportunity to do so.

I think its not unreasonable that you will find a moment /quiet patch of a wedding where you can delay mixing in the next song in for another 30 seconds to try this method though. Alternatively, if you ever take the time out for a practice session at home, you could spend a lot more time troubleshooting if you wanted to.

Having you try these things is the only way we can troubleshoot this issue - apart from me flying to you from New Zealand - my boss will not pay for this flight :(

Quote:
Ill try this this week end. Hopefully the issue appears after the calibration... Would it be better if I leave it on auto play at home for a few hours and then we can look at the file?

Sure, you could try that and we could have a look. It will be harder to know when the issue happens though if you aren't nearby the system at least? Do you know if it happens when autoplay is enabled and you aren't near the controller?

DJ Fluke 613 8:40 PM - 26 August, 2014
Martin I have been sick for the past few days and I haven't had a chance to test the midi tool but I plan on doing so on Monday as I record this mix. However I did open it just to see how it works I changed the log to 1 million but it dosent seem to record anything while the controller is connected.

Do I have to hit something to make it start ?

On a side note check that vid from this past week end with dry ice , imagine the song restarts during that :p

instagram.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:00 AM - 27 August, 2014
I couldn't imagine anything more horrible for you and the wedding couple to be honest.

Yes, you do have to hit a few pads or something, then you should see some MIDI messages show up. If it doesn't show anything, just make sure you have got the device ticked in the "MIDI Devices" option in the top window of the program.
DJ Fluke 613 2:02 PM - 2 September, 2014
Hey Martin,

Few questions...

I tried this last night but I want to make sure I am doing it properly. The software seemed to record something but it never showed NS7 in the midi panel like how it showed your device in the screen shot. Can I send you a screen shot somehow?

Also once the recording is done, how do I generate the file to send to you?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:56 AM - 3 September, 2014
Hey DJ Fluke 613,

Because we aren't in a help ticket unfortunately the "attach a file button" is not here.

You can use this place though: serato.com then post the links here for me to access.
DJ Fluke 613 12:39 PM - 3 September, 2014
done!
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:40 AM - 4 September, 2014
Thanks, I see now. So if you click on the little arrow next to MIDI sources, it should expand a section underneath it and hopefully it will show you the NS7?

Either way, its not too important whether its visible there or not, because if you are seeing messages come through in the events window, it means its registering MIDI correctly.
DJ Fluke 613 12:41 PM - 4 September, 2014
Thanks. How can i generate the log?
marcA 4:52 PM - 4 September, 2014
is slip mode on? (skipping)
DJ Fluke 613 6:02 PM - 4 September, 2014
its not...
hobbbz 6:39 PM - 4 September, 2014
I have the same troubles at times and if I turn my start or stop time up to about 1/4 it fixes it (only if I leave it there)
marcA 7:07 AM - 5 September, 2014
played with the latest version last night on ns7ii but i do not have these issues
but i'm on windows 7
as for issue 1: i Always use cue point start since sdj didn't implement instant start yet (come on serato!)
DJ Merci 7:27 AM - 5 September, 2014
does anybody have an issue with the strip search not working in version 1.7..i'm using numark v7
DJ Merci 7:34 AM - 5 September, 2014
actually just read that it works only when the decks are off..
DJ Merci 7:35 AM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:
actually just read that it works only when the decks are off..
some type of bug needs to get fixed
DJ Fluke 613 6:59 PM - 5 September, 2014
Hey Martin

Can you let me know how to generate a log ?
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:46 PM - 7 September, 2014
Hi DJ Fluke 613,

Once you have the MIDI data properly appearing in the events window and recording everything, you can just go to "File > Save As" in MIDI monitor, it should be pretty straight forward.
Mike from Chicago 7:08 PM - 8 September, 2014
Hey guys! So I have updated to SDJ 1.7 to use with my NS7ii.

Everything seems to be good except for my original concern, let me shed some more light on it.

My major concern was the left deck taking time to start (ramp up) the track to play at instant normal BPM.

Here's what I have discovered:
I'm a wedding environment on Saturday night while doing intros (each couple had different songs). Setting up prior to the event making sure Lock Playing Deck was clicked off to load a track instantly while having the motor enabled (turned on and spinning) and loading tracks worked as designed when it come time to do the actual intros.

So later in the night during a packed dancefloor whiling mixing (with platter motors on and Lock Playing deck was clicked off, same scenario as above) and loading tracks on the fly (either changing musical direction etc. I have noticed with you press the "Start/Stop" button either rapidly, its almost as though SDJ and controller get confused which will then active the "super slow" ramp up of a track as described above.

I have noticed you can "workaround" or possibly disable this condition by pressing "Shift & the Start/Stop cue button" I momentarily puts the track to normal bpm and stops the super slow ramp up. For some odd reason this was a lucky guess on my part.

I'm wondering if there's a bug in the software that cause the Controller vs software to become confused. I'm interested to hear others feedback on this. I can clarify further if need be.

Thanks!
Philmixit 10:24 PM - 8 September, 2014
Hi Mike, I know what you are talking about! that is the same thing happening to me.
I have the new mark NS72, and on the left deck after about one to two hours when I load
a new track it is dragging very slow ,then I will stop it and hit play again then it will play normal , and only on the LEFT DECK.
Every thing else work fine, Serato I know that you guys are doing a lot ,but need some help here.
Thank you.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:42 AM - 9 September, 2014
Hey guys,

I haven't seen the issue myself, but I would like to know more so that we could try and resolve it if possible.

Just regarding what you have said here Mike:

Quote:
I have noticed with you press the "Start/Stop" button either rapidly, its almost as though SDJ and controller get confused which will then active the "super slow" ramp up of a track as described above.

Do you mean to say that if your press the Start/Stop button too fast, you can cause this issue? (I assume you mean the PLAY/PAUSE) button on the bottom left of each deck.

Do you know how to reproduce this issue on demand, or does it randomly happen throughout a set? It would be great if you either of you would be able to capture it on video next time you see it, but even better if you know how to get it into this state consistently.

Thanks!
Philmixit 10:54 AM - 9 September, 2014
Hi Martin, yes I means the PLAY/PAUSE button.
And yes it randomly happen throughout a set, I will try to get it on tape.
I know that you guys are doing a lot,it also hard on us to you know, getting frustrated when the track will not speed up fast enough .I know that you guys are working hard to make the software the best thing. I love serato dj .
Peace out and good luck.
DJ Fluke 613 11:00 AM - 9 September, 2014
Martin,

I have uploaded the file. Let me know if you see something unusual.

this past week end, i brought out both NS7's and MAC's and was the first time using 1.7 live and did not have this issue (track forwarding or restarting) however on the left NS7 and the left deck, i had the issue users reported here where the track would start off slow, only sometimes. The only way i can get it to go fast is to hit play and then move the start time knob all the CW then back CW and it would work. It seemed as soon as i moveinstagram.com knob it was work normally. Another way was to hit cue first to start it then hit play to continue it. Completely random, completely different songs.

Let me know if you can see anything with the log about the song restart. I left it on auto mix for a few hours, i doubt it has happened .

Here are is a pic of last sat with 2 NS7's : instagram.com
DJ Fluke 613 11:02 AM - 9 September, 2014
sorry i made a mistake in the first email. This is what i meant :

seemed as soon as i move the instant start knob it works normally. Another way was to hit cue first to start it then hit play to continue it. Completely random, completely different songs.
Mike from Chicago 2:55 PM - 10 September, 2014
Martin,

Thanks for jumping in and yes my issue is the same as Philmixit and DJ Fluke. The next opportunity I will have with the NS7ii is this coming Saturday.

Thanks,
Mike
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:17 AM - 11 September, 2014
Hey Philmixit,

Quote:
And yes it randomly happen throughout a set, I will try to get it on tape.
I know that you guys are doing a lot,it also hard on us to you know, getting frustrated when the track will not speed up fast enough

I completely understand its a difficult issue that effects you guys. I'd be really keen to get more information so we can look into it further.

Hey DJ Fluke 613,

Quote:
I have uploaded the file. Let me know if you see something unusual.

Did you make a note of the time it happened? The MIDI log you sent me goes from 2.14am, to 5.12am, to 1.21pm, to 6.15am. Did you keep the program open over several days? Did you put up the number of events it can remember?
DJ Fluke 613 3:50 PM - 11 September, 2014
Hey Martin,

I let this record for a few hours on auto play I am not sure if the restart or forward track occurred. Is there a way just to search for the rogue codes to see f they show up? This was just done at home but I wasn't physically there.

I was thinking of running this at an event in the background but didn't have the guts too. At an event is really where I should test it. Will this program cause issues you think if I do this?
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:41 AM - 15 September, 2014
No, running this program in the background will not cause issues. You being there is the only way you are gonna catch it - unfortunately this is not something you'll be able to find by running on autoplay easily, simply because you will never know if the issue happened or not. If you are perhaps nearby the system and you hear the track jump, then you might catch it.

There is no way to search for the rogue messages, because the rogue messages won't appear to be anything special, they will just be messages sent at a time when that message wasn't supposed to be sent.

Let me explain a theoretical example: You say the bigger issue for you is that the songs skip forward unexpectedly, and a theory could be that a malfunction of the touchstrip could cause this. After all, using the touchstrip would be one of the ways you could skip through the song.

So you could look at the messages that the touchstrip sends, and if you open MIDI monitor you might find it looks something like: Message: Control, Channel 1, Data 24, then the second number varies from 0-127 as you move your finger around.

Now the next time you are playing and the issue happens, you have MIDI monitor running in the background, you could inspect the messages that were sent (or save the log and look at it later if you are too busy). You'll see probably a lot messages if you were pressing buttons a the time, but what I am expecting you'll see is some messages come through from buttons that you DID NOT press. I've used the example of the touch strip above, and if you saw touch strip messages during a time you did not use it, then you'd definitely have a culprit, but this just an example - it could be something else.

Thats why if you have it happen, make a note of the time it happened asap, save the log file - then we can inspect it. If you have the time, hopefully only a handful of messages would have occurred around that moment, which makes it easier to narrow down.

I hope that helps make it clear what we are trying to achieve. I am sorry its not the easiest thing to do, but in terms of other troubleshooting options, its very slim.

- You could try using your NS7II with another computer to see if the same problem happens, this would at least eliminate your computer being a factor

- You could try and have this issue investigated by an authorised service person. If they find it to be a software bug, then hopefully they will let us know. At this stage we haven't reproduced anything like this here, so I'm heading down the path of trying to find out if your particular device is causing the issue.
Mike from Chicago 3:03 PM - 15 September, 2014
Hey Martin,

I have more information for you about this issue with the left deck.

So this past Saturday I was in a Bar environment, standard mixing and scratchin' tracks to spice up the crowd. So I have noticed that when you have a song playing on DECK 2, I mix in song on DECK 1; everything is good.

Song is playing on DECK 1 now mixing in song on DECK 2, mixed in to DECK 2, music is now playing on DECK 2. I press START/STOP on DECK 1. You would think this is normal operation, right?

So now I mix out of DECK 2 into DECK 1:
Here's the steps I take prior to mixing into song on DECK 1
Step
1. Load Track
2. Press Start/Stop
3. Cue Song with Platter
4. Use Hot Cues accordingly
5. then prepare to mix in
(this is a all standard operation for mixing)

Here's where something happens with the actual NS7ii controller, I believe there is a bug with the left deck and how its mapped to the software or something is conflicting with the controller vs software.

In a hot mix type situation (quick mixing) and using START/STOP on DECK 1.
Typical situation is prepare a track on DECK 1 press START/STOP to stop deck then press START/STOP to start DECK 1. This is where DECK 1 has the issue with slow ramp up play. I have noticed the only way to interrupt the deck from starting off slow is to press SHIFT & START/STOP then DECK 1 goes back to normal play. I have also noticed after pressing SHIFT & START/STOP and cue the track with the platter on DECK 1, DECK 1 reverts back to the slow ramp up start. Then only way to work-around this issue is to constantly use the SHIFT & START/STOP concept to interrupt DECK 1.

I'm trying my best to get this on video but every time I attempt it in the LIVE Play environment it very tough (taking requests, hyping the crowd...etc..)

I tried to vary the steps that I took to play tracks on DECK 1 and it seems that no matter what step I take, DECK 1 will always show this issue when it comes to pressing START/STOP and the cueing with platter and then pressing START/STOP again to either stop the deck or start play back. The only way to stop this issue is to turn off the controller and turn it back on but as we all know this can't be done when you have a dance floor of 400 people.

Really hopes this helps you in figuring out what is wrong with this function. The work-around is doable but just very annoying.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:57 AM - 16 September, 2014
Hey Mike,

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. Very interesting you can only reproduce it on Deck 1 thats for sure...

It also makes sense to me that SHIFT + PLAY/STOP is a workaround because this function is what we called "Stutter Play" which essentially acts like a Cue Point except it uses a temp cue position to start from. Triggering any type of cue usually overrides the start/stop time behaviour.

I completely understand its a bit hard to capture on video though when a gig - have you been able to reproduce this when messing about at home? That would be awesome if you could take the time to do so, then make a recording once you see the issue happening. I will continue trying to reproduce this based on your instructions, but I am yet to have any luck at this point.

Where is your start time set on the hardware?

Quote:
Typical situation is prepare a track on DECK 1 press START/STOP to stop deck then press START/STOP to start DECK 1. This is where DECK 1 has the issue with slow ramp up play.

Just to break down these sentences even more, when you say you "prepare a track" would this normally involve pressing play first, listening to the track for some time, then you press stop again? Do you press cue points during this time?

Then after you press stop, you go to do the mix, pressing start - this is when the issue occurs? Once it starts happening, does it happen to every track on Deck 1?

Roughly how many times during a set does it happen?

Its possible we should think about taking this discussions separate, as this was initially DJ Flukes thread, where we began with a separate issue. We may want to avoid mixing discussion.
Mike from Chicago 4:14 PM - 16 September, 2014
Thanks Martin!

Start Time is set to absolute ZERO or turned off on controller as well as in SDJ Setup menu.

Quote:
Just to break down these sentences even more, when you say you "prepare a track" would this normally involve pressing play first, listening to the track for some time, then you press stop again? Do you press cue points during this time?

YES you are exactly 100% correct

Quote:
Then after you press stop, you go to do the mix, pressing start - this is when the issue occurs?

YES

Quote:
Once it starts happening, does it happen to every track on Deck 1?

YES

Quote:
Roughly how many times during a set does it happen?

My sets are roughly 6 continuous hours, I work a 10pm-4am shift

Quote:
Its possible we should think about taking this discussions separate, as this was initially DJ Flukes thread, where we began with a separate issue. We may want to avoid mixing discussion.

I'm open to whatever it makes it easier for you, I'm wondering if DJ Flukes is experience the same issue.
DJ Fluke 613 5:25 PM - 16 September, 2014
@ Martin : I wi ll attempt to try this at a live gig and hopefully it will happen but I don't want it too at wrong time ;)

@ DJ From Chicago : I do have the same issue as you. I don't know how its produced, but I usually start playing from cue to get rid of it. You can leave the comments in this thread as the original post I did explained the slow start up issue.
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:19 AM - 19 September, 2014
Ok no problem - just want to make sure we don't mix up information, even though DJ Fluke experiences the same problem lets just make sure we don't confuse the issues when communicating because they are separate:

1. Tracks start up slowly
2. Track randomly jumps position during play

So focusing on Issue #1 for the meantime, really appreciate you answering all the questions Mike. So have you managed to notice any particular series of events that brings this issue on? Anything particular steps other that what you described that I could follow to reproduce it here? Have you tried at home to have a crack and making the issue happen on demand?

Quote:
My sets are roughly 6 continuous hours, I work a 10pm-4am shift

Cool, so within this 6 hours, how often does the issue occur? Is it really frequent, or quite rare?

Have you been able to use a different machine to DJ with for a while to see if the issue still happens?
Mike from Chicago 2:37 PM - 22 September, 2014
Quote:
Cool, so within this 6 hours, how often does the issue occur? Is it really frequent, or quite rare?

Martin, once this issue with Deck 1 comes about it is present for the duration of my set since I'm unable to hard reset without causing the crowd/venue/management team to become upset. I have also noticed that since the NS7ii isn't a stand alone mixer that if I were to reset my laptop while having an iPod or such plugged into a channel, I wouldn't be able to use this method to momentarily reset and continue.

Quote:
Have you been able to use a different machine to DJ with for a while to see if the issue still happens?

Yes, I have also used the DDJSX and haven't had an issues with it. But as well all know Pioneer is seperate from Numark as well as the Drivers and mapping or different. I have also used an SL2/SL3 box with SDJ and have no issues.

Here's some additional information, this past Saturday I DJed a wedding, while mixing songs due to the musical format choosen by Bride/Groom, I wasn't not in a Hot Mix (fast cuts/transitions between tracks) scenario as I experienced when DJing a Bar. I didn't experience the slow start up on Deck as I infrequently used the Start/Stop button on Deck 1.

I'm leaning towards the SDJ vs Controller getting confused when rapid button pushes are made while using the controller to control functions within Serato. Which brings be to this the controller doesn't store memory and its just a device to control functions within SDJ and this would tell me there's something with SDJ that may not acknowledge/send feedback back to controller. I have also went further by unplugging the USB to my MacbookPro and pressing the Start/Stop button on the controller and that function works as designed.

Here's another question that comes to mind:
Does the USB buffer sliders for Audio and Screen updates in the CONFIG screen hold any bearing or effect on this issues? These on-screen slide faders are at the default setting from when SDJ 1.7 was first installed. In my experience with SDJ, I have never adjusted these sliders except for the -12db cut on the EQ.

Also, I'm back to my Bar/Nightclub gig this coming Saturday, where I will be in the Hot Mix scenario.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:47 AM - 24 September, 2014
Hey Mike, thank for the additional information.

Quote:
I have also noticed that since the NS7ii isn't a stand alone mixer that if I were to reset my laptop while having an iPod or such plugged into a channel, I wouldn't be able to use this method to momentarily reset and continue.

It definitely should be, and I have just confirmed that to be sure. If I have an aux input running into the line input of channel 2 (switch is set to LINE), then I can close down the software, disconnect the USB from the computer and at no point is the aux input source interrupted. You might want to double check, because in your situation, with this issue that you are having, its a good plan B to have ready.

Quote:
I didn't experience the slow start up on Deck as I infrequently used the Start/Stop button on Deck 1.

So in your normal process of cueing the track, what would you do instead of using the play/pause button? Just leave all decks in a play state and just use cue points to jump around?

Quote:
I'm leaning towards the SDJ vs Controller getting confused when rapid button pushes are made while using the controller to control functions within Serato.

You've described some sequence of events that you seem to cause this issue for you previously, and unfortunately I've had no luck as of yet to reproduce it. What part of the sequence of events is the "rapid button pushing" part? I think it would be really helpful if you could make a short video of this issue happening. Is there anything particular you've noticed that can make the issue happen somewhat reliably or consistently yet?

Quote:
Which brings be to this the controller doesn't store memory and its just a device to control functions within SDJ and this would tell me there's something with SDJ that may not acknowledge/send feedback back to controller.

Yes, you are thinking about it in the right way. The controller simply sends messages (MIDI) to the software, to tell the software what to do. In return, the software sends output states to tell the controller how it should be lit up. There is no "memory" stored in the controller.

Quote:
I have also went further by unplugging the USB to my MacbookPro and pressing the Start/Stop button on the controller and that function works as designed.

That does suggest a software/communication issue. Although wouldn't unplugging it from your computer be the typical workaround you use to resolve the issue?

Quote:
Does the USB buffer sliders for Audio and Screen updates in the CONFIG screen hold any bearing or effect on this issues?

Its hard to say at this point if any of the setup screen options could be playing a part in this problem, just because we know very little about whats causing this problem. At this stage I'm going to say its unlikely though.

USB buffer size: When its at a low setting (1ms) it means the handling will be tighter, response time is faster. As a result, your computer must work harder to carry messages via USB faster. Its worth trying to put this at the maximum (20ms) just to see if there is any effect on the frequency of the issue, but I think it will be unlikely. We don't have much else to go on right now, so its not gonna hurt to try.

Screen Updates: This is more about how Serato DJ displays the waveform and virtual deck movement. If you have it set to max, it will look pretty smooth, yet the computer has to work harder. Setting it down low takes stress of the CPU, but the waveforms/virtual decks will be very jittery.

I have another question for anyone experiencing this problem: how long have you own your NS7 II, and have you ever used another NS7 II before? If so, did you find the same problem?
Mike from Chicago 5:26 PM - 24 September, 2014
Martin,

Thanks again for being responsive to this concern. I will do my best to reproduce the slow start up concern on Saturday night and use my iPhone to get a video of it. I'm crossing my fingers I can get this recorded for you.

I attempted again to reset the computer while having an iPod connected to the AUX output and yes it does work as a stand-alone mixer. Guess with all this technology, I forgot to flip the PC/MIC/AUX switch. Thanks for confirming!

Quote:
So in your normal process of cueing the track, what would you do instead of using the play/pause button? Just leave all decks in a play state and just use cue points to jump around?

Yes I left the deck playing and in addition ensured Lock Playing Deck was selected in CONFIG screen.

Quote:
I think it would be really helpful if you could make a short video of this issue happening. Is there anything particular you've noticed that can make the issue happen somewhat reliably or consistently yet?

I can't think of anything that I'm doing different that from what I have described previously. I will definitely attempt to get this on video this weekend. <fingers crossed>

Quote:
Although wouldn't unplugging it from your computer be the typical workaround you use to resolve the issue?

If you're suggesting this to be a good workaround for this issue, I haven't been gutsy enough to attempt this in a LIVE performance environment. I will attempt this at my warehouse in the next few days to see what it does/doesn't do.

Quote:
I have another question for anyone experiencing this problem: how long have you own your NS7 II

I have had mine for about 8 months and a month ago have updated to the most current Numark Drivers for Maverick OSX. I haven't had any opportunity to play on another NS7ii unit.
DJ Fluke 613 5:39 PM - 24 September, 2014
Hey Martin,

I have had mine since Jan and I have this issue on both using two diff laptops However I have not had the other issues (track forwarding or backing up) since 1.7 and recalibrating both.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:52 AM - 25 September, 2014
Hey guys, thanks again for the updates.

Quote:
If you're suggesting this to be a good workaround for this issue, I haven't been gutsy enough to attempt this in a LIVE performance environment. I will attempt this at my warehouse in the next few days to see what it does/doesn't do.

No, I am definitely not suggesting this a good workaround at all. I was just asking if this was what you normally did when the issue happened and you had the opportunity to disconnect (e.g you weren't playing in front of a crowd).
DJ Fluke 613 3:56 PM - 28 September, 2014
Hey Martin,

So yesterday I experienced the slow start up. I managed to record so you can see what it does. You can see when I hit play it slow starts up then if I hit cue it's fast. Sorry if the vid does not say much I just needed to start mixing so I did what I could. It does and always happens only on left deck.

I wasn't doing anything special I had effects roll enabled and that's about it.

I didn't remember to turn the start time knob to see if it initializes this. However the start time knob was set to off. Will forward link shortly.
DJ Fluke 613 3:57 PM - 28 September, 2014
Here is the link : 1drv.ms
Philmixit 1:15 AM - 29 September, 2014
That's the same problem I am having , and it's the LEFT deck and
the start time knob was set to off.
The video DJ Fluke 613 tells what is going on with the left deck.
O well I hope that Serato get to fix it soon.
I know that you guys are working hard to make the software the best.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:25 AM - 29 September, 2014
Thanks for the video DJ Fluke 613, that has definitely confirmed what I thought the bug would look like. Unfortunately it doesn't really give us any other new information otherwise though - definitely would be great if someone can reproduce it (while not in a gig situation) so they can spend some time trying some of the suggestions I have made.

Quote:

If I am honest, hoping it will be fixed won't go very far. At this point we don't even know if its a software issue or hardware issue and we haven't reproduced it here, therefore its unlikely we'll fix it. What I'd really appreciate is you providing me with as much information as possible and trying out some of the above suggestions I've made to provide more information.

Thanks for your contributions so far guys!
Mauricio Gambi 12:19 AM - 30 September, 2014
I have exactly the same problem with my NS-7 II and the macbook pro ... what a disappointment Numark / Serato ...
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:39 AM - 30 September, 2014
Hey Mauricio Gambi,

If it were something that we could reproduce here easily, we'd fix it as soon as possible, let me assure you. However, it does seem something almost specific to certain NS7II units and/or computer setups.

If you experience the problem, I'd love to hear more about the issue - it'd greatly help me learn more if you provided more information and answers to some of the questions I've asked previously in this discussion.

The more information I have, the more information I can pass on to our developers and Numark engineers about the issue. I'd love to see this issue fixed sooner rather than later.

Cheers,

Martin
Mike from Chicago 4:19 PM - 30 September, 2014
Quote:
That's the same problem I am having , and it's the LEFT deck and
the start time knob was set to off.
The video DJ Fluke 613 tells what is going on with the left deck.
I know that you guys are working hard to make the software the best.

This is the exact thing that is happening to me. Thanks for posting this.
So from the Left Deck, I can reproduce this on the Right Deck as well.

The issue happens when you use AutoLoop:

Here's what I'm talking about (steps while mixing)
with track playing on Right Deck
Load Track on Left Deck
Cue up track, press Start/Stop button
Use Jog wheel to line up down beat
Press Start/Stop to stop deck
Wait for mix-in point on track playing on Right Deck
Press Start/Stop on Left Deck
Begin Mixing in track
Move Crossfader accordingly
Use Auto Loop either "1 beat" or "1/2 beat" to tail off track playing on Right Deck to loop outro beats

Close fader to Left Deck side (A)
Press Start/Stop on Right Deck to stop track playing

When repeating these steps to mix out of track playing on Left Deck and ending with these steps:
Use Auto Loop either "1 beat" or "1/2 beat" to tail off track playing on Right Deck
Move fader to Right Deck side (B)
Press Start/Stop on Left Deck to stop track playing

Repeating these steps, it seems the Software gets confused and the slow ramp-up starts happens around this steps above. Not sure if these commands pressed via controller have anything to with the communication with the controller/software

I have also noticed that when slow ramp-up occurs, while deck is playing to press "Shift Start/Stop." It seems that by pressing Shift + Start interupts ramp-up but as soon as I backcue the JogWheel it reverts back to slow start, almost like winding up a clock. Then but pressing "Shift Start" again the software will allowing me to backcue via jogwheel without slow windup. So for workaround when ramp-up starts I have to press "Shift Start" 2 times inorder to gain normal vinyl control.

Kinda crazy if you asked me but now that I understand when this issue happens I know how to workaround it.

I recently played on the Pioneer SX and by doing identical steps as described about I can't reproduce this issue on the SX. My thought is this issue has something to do with motorized platters via non-motorized. I'm also wondering is this issue is apparent for user with turntables in-conjunction with Serato DJ.

I'm hopeful this concern gets addressed.
Robbie O 6:10 PM - 30 September, 2014
I didnt want to pile on, but I've been having the same exact issues plus random skipping of song, usually skips forward maybe half way.

The skipping is sometimes a dropout, but Im unsure if the drop outs are a separate issue. The ramp up happens alot but the way I DJ it does really bother me. the Skipping happens rarely but enough that it has become annoying. Please let me know anything I could do to help test and find a solution
dj Krazey leo 3:44 AM - 1 October, 2014
Same here
kregg Jacoby 8:06 PM - 4 October, 2014
Are you guys watching the CPU meter during these errors? Just got my ns7ii about a week ago and was having slow starts described above, audio distortion mentioned in another ns7ii thread, and crashes. It was my first night so I didn't have a chance to detail exact behavior or repeatability. On my old ns7 I had my usb buffer at 1ms but with the ns7ii I noticed it was peaking constantly. Switched it to 10ms, and it never went above 60% and I managed to get through 3 hour set without any strange behavior. Not a fun way to dj constantly nervous something is about to go wrong. Going to keep it at 10ms for a few weeks and see if I can reproduce any of these issues.
DJ Fluke 613 1:11 PM - 5 October, 2014
Yesterday I had the damn song auto forward itself during a performance by the sisters bride. I also had the slow start up all on left deck...

My wedding season is done and now I will really start testing this at home with mixing and will hopefully mix enough to catch it and record it.

Also Marin would you guys be willing to pay for shipping to have my ns7 shipped to you for testing since you say this only affects some ?

I can use my other one that also has this issue and I have a ddj sb so I can manage.

Let me know.
Mike from Chicago 3:36 PM - 6 October, 2014
Hey guys!

Had my wedding on Saturday night, the slow ramp up did happen as expected.

I did notice something quite interesting with the behavior from the NS7ii.
I'll describe it and then upload a video later today.

When you load a track to whatever deck (be it left or right side),
Cue the down beat or where ever you're planning on bringing in the track
then press start/stop to stop the track at the cue point
(the start/stop and cue indicator lights will flash while deck is stopped; I believe this is normal operation)

Now is where the crazy controller freak-out happens (only on the left deck)
I press start on the track and begin mixing, etc
the start/stop/cue lights will continue to flash as described above
but now the track is playing
When this issue is apparent, I have also noticed I have set a few hot cue points in slots 1, 2, 3 they are present on screen in SDJ then look down at the left deck of the controller to the coinciding cue point on the pads and hot cue point 1 and 3 are light. Hot cue point 2 is missing but show on screen in SDJ. I also took this a step future and looked at the hot cue strip on the right side of the deck (the strip of 5 quick hot cues) and all light are light up to coincide with hot cues present in SDJ, There seems to be a difference between Hot Cues listed in SDJ and Quick strip vs. Pads at the bottom of the controller.

*****Side note: I (the user) didn't delete any of the cue points within SDJ; it seems the controller communication maybe the issue.

I tried to prove this wrong by going through the identical process on the right deck and nothing changes. So on the right deck, I cue the down beat then press start/stop to stop the track at the cue point (the start/stop and cue indicator lights will flash while deck is stopped, I believe this is normal operation)
While playing the track on the right deck the start/stop/cue lights are solid on (no flashing ever unless cueing a track as described above)

I know there has been talk about distortion with the NS7ii, with these issues described in this thread as well as the ones I have documented, I have noticed the distortion is all present when the slow ramp-up and flashing light concerns come about. I have connected 4 different sets of XLRs (Livewire and a few other brands) with not change of quality.

I was thinking about doing a fresh install of the Maverick Drivers via Numark Website. I'm also running the most current version of SDJ 1.7. Does this have anything to do with a driver issue since its controller functionality vs. SDJ software? Do the drivers hold any bearing on sound quality?
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:27 AM - 7 October, 2014
Hey guys,

Apologies for the slow response. If anyone is having specific audio problems e.g distortion or audio dropouts, its most likely a separate issue. In that case, for that issue, please contact support here: support.serato.com

@ Mike from Chicago, your new issues with the cue points. Could you make a video of that please? I am still unable to reproduce the first issue by following the instructions you've provided unfortunately, but thanks so much for keeping me in the loop.

Has anyone tried calibrating their NS7 II?

Quote:
NS7II - Calibration
1. Power on hardware while holding down SYNC on right deck.
-- Observed - Pads on right deck will blink white to show proper enumeration of mode.
2. Set both PITCH FADERS to min position.
--Observed - SYNC on left deck button will go solid red.
3. Press left deck SYNC button.4. Set both PITCH FADERS to max position.
5. Press left deck SYNC button.
6. Set both PITCH FADERS to center position.
7. Press left deck SYNC button.
8. On left deck TOUCH STRIP touch end song position.
9. Press left deck SYNC button.
10. On left deck TOUCH STRIP touch start song position.
11. Press left deck SYNC button.
12. On right deck TOUCH STRIP touch end song position.
13. Press right deck SYNC button.
14. On left deck TOUCH STRIP touch start song position.
15. Press left deck SYNC button.
16. Set both START TIME knobs to max position.
17. Press left deck SYNC button.
18. Set both STOP TIME knobs to max position.
19. Press left deck SYNC button.
-- Observed - All LEDs that would be seen in a normal state will activate.

Let me know if this improves anything.
DJ Fluke 613 1:09 PM - 7 October, 2014
I did calibrate. I have mentioned this a few times.
Mike from Chicago 5:40 PM - 7 October, 2014
Quote:
Now is where the crazy controller freak-out happens (only on the left deck)
I press start on the track and begin mixing, etc
the start/stop/cue lights will continue to flash as described above
but now the track is playing
When this issue is apparent, I have also noticed I have set a few hot cue points in slots 1, 2, 3 they are present on screen in SDJ then look down at the left deck of the controller to the coinciding cue point on the pads and hot cue point 1 and 3 are light. Hot cue point 2 is missing but show on screen in SDJ. I also took this a step future and looked at the hot cue strip on the right side of the deck (the strip of 5 quick hot cues) and all light are light up to coincide with hot cues present in SDJ, There seems to be a difference between Hot Cues listed in SDJ and Quick strip vs. Pads at the bottom of the controller.

Here's the link to my Youtube upload. Any ideas?
youtu.be
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:01 AM - 8 October, 2014
My apologies DJ Fluke, its become a bit complex to keep up with all the separate discussions in here, which is what I feared would happen, even though there is plenty of good information.

To bring it back to your issues specifically:

Issue #1: The platters start up slowly sometimes

We need to go back some of the things we talked about earlier, to try and learn more about the problem, for example, a question I asked: :If you turn the motorised platters off, then apply the workaround by readjusting your start time to 0, what happens? Does the start time remain at 0 after loading the next track, or no?"

Mike from Chicago has provided the steps he usually takes before this issue happens, but unfortunately I don't think its brought us much closer to why the issue is happening. We should keep trying things though.

Issue #2: Tracks seem to jump randomly

Have you managed to have time to make some progress with the MIDI logging task?

To go back to your question about shipping, if we do find that this issue is specific to your hardware, then its best to be investigated by Numark staff, I won't really be able to help much. At this point it does lean in that direction, because I'm not able to reproduce any of the issue you have reported with the units I have here - there still is not enough information to be sure though.

Alternatively if you are finding it tough to be troubleshooting this stuff yourself (I truly wish I could be flown to your house to help) then it might be worth considering taking one of your units to the retailer to talk about the problem more, maybe they can point you to a near by service centre? Either way though, I don't want to abandon you on this issue, but it might be good to be able to show some these things IRL.

@ Mike from Chicago - thanks for the video. Would probably need to talk about this more. At this point I think its best that you break off into a separate ticket, especially for a separate issue: support.serato.com
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:02 AM - 9 October, 2014
Hey guys

For the original post outlining two issues, I have some information direct from Numark.

Issue 1

Start Time Resetting to Maximum
It’s suggested that if a user is experiencing the symptoms regarding Start Time with their NS7II that they should perform the following:

1. Connect and power on the NS7II
2. Open Serato DJ
3. On each deck, fully turn, clock and counter clock wise, the Start and Stop Time knobs prior to DJing. This will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.
4. As a good practice for the user, I also recommend moving the Pitch Sliders, Crossfader and Channel Sliders up and down prior to DJing. Again, this will ensure that the NS7II is properly communicating with Serato DJ.

This can be found on our Numark NS7II FAQ page here: www.numark.com

Issue 2

Playback Position Jumping
A defective touch strip could cause playback position to jump around, however some of these users are reporting that this is appearing on both decks. It’s very unlikely a unit would have two defective touch strips (we’ve never seen this). If a user is holding the SHIFT button and then moves the platter forward, that will position the song forward to another spot in the song.

In my case, I experienced this in Serato DJ 1.6 when I had corrupted files in my song database. After deleting the song completely from my database (not just the crate), I was no longer experiencing the symptom. I utilized the Preparing and Analyzing Your Files guide from Serato (support.serato.com) and also read the Trouble Shooting Freezing and Crashing While Analyzing Files (support.serato.com) tutorial which helped me.

This FAQ can also be found on our Numark NS7II FAQ page here: www.numark.com

For everyone on this thread experiencing another issue, please get in touch with the support team at support.serato.com. We'll be much better able to help you all individually rather than all together out here in the general forum area.

Thanks!
Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 12:11 PM - 11 October, 2014
Hey Aaron,

Thanks for your input. Currently I didn't have any corrupted files. I just got an NS72 in Jan with a new mac so I copied all crates and files and good to go. The library was first built on a pc using itch in 2010 with an ns7, then moved to an ns6 still with itch then finally over to sdj with pc until the mac and ns72 earlier this year.

Now I can assure you I didn't have corrupt files. After readings your comments I installed sdj 1.7.1 from 1.7 and re scanned the entire library. Now it finds 100 some songs corrupted. Is this normal?

Do file requirements change per version? please let me know if I should be scanning the whole library from version to version?

I will do what you suggested from Numark and hopefully this fixes the songs skipping.

Please share your thoughts.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:43 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
Now I can assure you I didn't have corrupt files. After readings your comments I installed sdj 1.7.1 from 1.7 and re scanned the entire library. Now it finds 100 some songs corrupted. Is this normal?

Do file requirements change per version? please let me know if I should be scanning the whole library from version to version?

Hmmm... there shouldn't be any difference between SDJ 1.7 and SDJ 1.7.1 because we haven't made any changes in this area. If you are certain you didn't have any corrupt files in SDJ 1.7, could I ask you to roll back and do the scan again? It would be interesting to know if you are getting different results between versions.

Let me know how it goes with the Numark suggestions.

Cheers
DJ Fluke 613 10:46 AM - 13 October, 2014
I already removed those files so no point in downgrading.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:12 PM - 13 October, 2014
Ah okay, no worries.
Mike from Chicago 5:28 PM - 15 October, 2014
Hey guys!

I have some helpful news that may help with the slow ramp-up concern.

Head over the Numark website and update to the most current Driver if you have Maverick installed. I downloaded the 3.2 driver for the NS7ii. In additional I have re-calibrated the unit and everything seems to be working 100%. The re-calibration seemed to do the trick.

Prior to playing live, power on the NS7ii and move the pitch faders (up/down), knobs for start/stop knobs and eq knobs. For whatever reason I didn't have any issues as before. Hopefully this helps with your issues.

Good day!
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:51 AM - 16 October, 2014
Nice! Thanks for the update Mike, thats really positive.
DJ Fluke 613 2:13 AM - 24 November, 2014
Hey I don't mean to re open this up.. So the past few weeks I have been testing the beta, latest build and we started our Christmas party season so last night I decided to try it at a gig. The song skipping didn't happen and I haven't been able to reproduce. However the slow platter start up happend, again on left deck.

I realized if i move the start time all the way cw and back ccw the start up resumes normal. So basically I hit play, song starts up slowly, turn know and immediately once it hits the off position it speeds up.

I hope we can fix this. The fact that both my ns7s do this I'm convinced its a numark driver issue. Even inter crossing the 2 macs with the 2 ns7s causes this , however I just don't know what triggers it.

Always left deck.
DJ Fluke 613 2:14 AM - 24 November, 2014
Turn knob is what i meant.
Ragman 2:20 AM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
Hey I don't mean to re open this up.. So the past few weeks I have been testing the beta, latest build and we started our Christmas party season so last night I decided to try it at a gig. The song skipping didn't happen and I haven't been able to reproduce. However the slow platter start up happend, again on left deck.

I realized if i move the start time all the way cw and back ccw the start up resumes normal. So basically I hit play, song starts up slowly, turn know and immediately once it hits the off position it speeds up.

I hope we can fix this. The fact that both my ns7s do this I'm convinced its a numark driver issue. Even inter crossing the 2 macs with the 2 ns7s causes this , however I just don't know what triggers it.

Always left deck.

If it's a Numark driver issue, Serato can't do anything for you. That needs to be reported to Numark as hardware companies write and update their own driver code. Also other NS7II owners need to report this before it's considered a bug. The reason I'm saying that is I didn't notice this problem when I owned the NS7II. Have you checked Numark's website to make sure you have the latest NS7II drivers?
Ragman 2:23 AM - 24 November, 2014
Hey Fluke disregard my post above. I didn't realize this was a long thread with others reporting issues as well. When I opened the thread your recent post came up like it was a new thread. So sorry about that.
DJ Fluke 613 3:49 PM - 24 November, 2014
It's all good man.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:34 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hey DJ Fluke 613

I'm not sure this will necessarily be a driver issue, but it definitely sounds hardware related. Calibration of your start time knob could be a winner, but you may need to get in touch with Numark about that as I haven't seen a calibration guide for the NS7II. There is one for the mark one, but I would be reluctant to suggest that without Numark's advice.

Hit them up and let us know what their thoughts are.

Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 7:58 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hey Aaron,

Are you referring to a calibration of just the start time knob? I know there is a calibration procedure for the whole NS7 2, but is there one just for the start knob?

During the whole calibration I remember there was a part that you turn the start knob, so im assuming that's what your referring too and ya that was tried...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:14 PM - 24 November, 2014
Yeah sorry, that's what I was referring to - the whole process including the start time knob. Forgot you had tried that already.

I'm afraid it sounds like the unit itself might need looking at in that case.
DJ Fluke 613 8:17 PM - 24 November, 2014
But how would this get addressed? I mean I know its not your issue, but reporting this issue is next to impossible. It happens so random that a shop might try it and everything will work. I sometimes go 5-6 events with no issues.

Is there something I can tell Numark in particular?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:20 PM - 24 November, 2014
Yeah, it can be a bit tricky with intermittent issues like this. This is why I think it's best to get the conversation going directly with Numark as they should have the best idea how to approach it.

Hit up Chris from Numark by PM: serato.com and he should help get the process going. I'll give him a heads up by email, too.

Cheers
DJ Fluke 613 8:22 PM - 24 November, 2014
Thanks Arron. Ill send him a PM.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:23 PM - 24 November, 2014
Oh, and just as a reminder, Numark recommend turning the start time knob fully clockwise and counter-clockwise before playing to ensure correct MIDI communication. www.numark.com

Probably best to make sure you are doing this each time you play.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:24 PM - 24 November, 2014
Cool, no worries
DJ Fluke 613 8:33 PM - 24 November, 2014
ya I tried that on sat, and it still happened.

Thanks man.
Mike from Chicago 8:06 PM - 26 November, 2014
Hey guys!!! Hope all is well.
Below is a Calibration Guide that I have obtained for the NS7ii, it has worked for me and the issues of slow ramp up have stopped....

NS7II - Calibration
-- Observed - Pads on right deck will blink white to show proper enumeration of mode.
--Observed - SYNC on left deck button will go solid red.
3. Press left deck SYNC button.4. Set both PITCH FADERS to max position.
13. Press right deck SYNC button.
14. On left deck TOUCH STRIP touch start song position.
DJ Fluke 613 8:11 PM - 26 November, 2014
Hey Mike,

I did calibrate my unit, however the issues from time to time. I tried reaching to Numark based on Aarons request, but did not get any help. I believe they don't think anything is wrong. Below is my convo with Chris if anyone is interested. He probably wont even answer.

DJ Fluke 613 3:32 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hey Chris,

Hope all is well. I have been having an issue with my NS7 2, in fact I have 2 of them...and both show the same issue. I have had a long discussion with Serato here : serato.com and ill give you a brief break down... Aaron from Serato said he would fill you in as well.

Basically bought 2 NS27's in early Jan and 2 MAC's for my company. One of the NS7's is going back once I am done my Christmas parties, as the filter knob, along with the bass, on my 2 middle channels no longer "clicks" when its in center. I am still use it on a week to week basis and once I am done my xmas parties on Dec 12, it will be sent back to the repair shop in Canada. The guy there was really surprised this happened, as he says on the high end devices it shouldn't happen..

Anyway my real issues , as you can see from the thread, is that sometimes, only on my left deck, the song starts up slow, like the start time knob is all the way at the end, even though its completely off. Both machines do this, and on both macs. In the beginning I thought it was a serato issue , and did calibration, clean installs, sometimes we would go for a month or so with no issues, then really randomly it happens. So last week end, I took out the one NS7 2 , with the other mac and it happened again. The only way to get this to work normally, is to turn the knob all the way CW then back CCW to off and it kicks in and works. I took your advice by moving the pitch sliders and these knobs before events and it still happened. Even a calibration was done.

I really think there is something wrong with the machine. what can I do man? I also have another issue (that you call ghost skip or something), songs randomly RANDOMLY restart. We do 100 + weddings a year, when this started happening, I got so nervous and I run the first dance and parent dances in VDJ running in the background with midi disable (I just use it as a standard mp3 player). It did skip during dancing using SDJ but I can manage that opposed to the first dance messing up..

Like really man, what can I do here? the machine works FLAWLESSLY other than that. The pads, platters, the sound, just these issues, are messing with me.

Especially since both do this on both machines...

I have latest drivers. Have you guys seen these issues? Is there a newer driver or firmware that may fix? I don't mind beta testing, but something dosent add up.

Thank you.

Quote· Permalink

DJ Fluke 613 3:42 PM - 24 November, 2014
Also this would be next to impossible to report to a shop to fix, as there is no concrete way to make it "happen"...

Quote· Permalink

Numark, Support

NumarkChris 5:23 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hello DJ Fluke,

Thanks for contacting me.

"as the filter knob, along with the bass, on my 2 middle channels no longer "clicks" when its in center."

If you're experiencing this then this could be injunction with your Rotary Pot on your NS7II. This is simple wear and tear on the NS7II. There's nothing wrong with the knob or your DJ controller besides the simple fact that you can't feel the center position of the knob. The knob still applies the LPF and HPF filter effects. If your still not happy with the rotary knob, please call Numark technical support while your under warranty for a repair - www.numark.com.

Also, if you leave your NS7II in a cold environment over night or all day, you'll notice that as soon as you start to use the DJ controller, the knobs are tight. If you've done this, please don't continue to do this. In time, this action could permanently damage your DJ controller. Always store your DJ controller in a 50 + degree environment at room temperature.

"my left deck, the song starts up slow, like the start time knob is all the way at the end, even though its completely off. The only way to get this to work normally, is to turn the knob all the way CW then back CCW to off and it kicks in and works. I took your advice by moving the pitch sliders and these knobs before events and it still happened"

There's nothing wrong with your DJ controller. Before every gig, as I still do myself, you should adjust your start and stop time knobs as I indicated before. For more information on this process, please log onto www.numark.com.

The same scenario goes for a Numark NS7 and a V7. Due to these controllers ultra-high-resolution MIDI, proper calibration is needed before each gig to ensure proper communication between your DJ controller and your DJ software.

Let me know if you have any further questions or please, feel free to reach out to our technical support team - www.numark.com.

Quote· Report· Permalink

DJ Fluke 613 10:31 AM - 26 November, 2014
Hey Chris,

Your message leaves a few empty question marks. Before getting into the details, your answer about general wear and tear, ya maybe on the lower end line, but certainly not on your "high end" product and certainly not after 5 months (got it in Jan and this started beginning of summer). I have owned a whole lot of Numark mixers, 2 NS6. 2 NS7, 2 NS2's, Numark 5000FX , Numark Mixtrack pro and Numark 200FX, also a wide range of cd players, 2 Axis 9, 2 ICDX', 1 CDN 90 and have NEVER had these issues with any of these products (knobs loosing the click on the ones that have it) other than the one NS72.

First off, I had the first NS7 for almost 4 years with Itch and not once did I ever have to "calibrate" or "move all sliders / knobs" before every event. That's bs man. There is clearly an issue between SDJ and this product, as if this issue was universal to high midi as you say, Itch should of had the same issue.

Your second remark from that link you provided states :

Some Serato DJ users on both Mac. Why do you say some? What separates guys like me with our machine and the ones that don't have this issue? For you to make such a document, it means Numark noticed something and this is their solution. Maybe an internal update with components on later units fixed it or something along those lines. However, the fact that such a note exists, it concludes you know something about it and it's not fixable by SW or FW hence why you have such notes.

Next you say, because of the high midi with these products (NS7, V7 etc) these steps need to be done. Is there anywhere documented that if I use the original NS7 or V7, I must do this? I don't think so, it's only for the NS72, so clearly something is wrong here. Like I said I used 2 of the originals with NO ISSUES.

Your honestly going to tell me nothing is wrong here? I have 2 of them doing this on 2 different machines, how can you say nothing is wrong? Also others on the forums have the same issues.
marcA 8:08 AM - 27 November, 2014
thx for sharing Mike!
Mike from Chicago 7:55 PM - 27 November, 2014
Fluke, I feel for you bud! My still does it every now and then.
At times, I dont stop a track when I'm mixing out of another for the worry of the slow ramp up.
I have noticed at times, the stutter play actives; I'm almost afraid to delete cue points while playing live at this sends to do something when the track is armed to play and then pressing shift with the cue button.

I like the added layer of commands using the shift button but feel this can cause some issues with certain key presses while playing track normally. I'm thinking about dumping the controller and throwing that idea around many many times and just go back old school; to the tables that work and use a SL BOX.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:10 PM - 27 November, 2014
Yes, thanks Mike.

I can't quite tell from your descriptions, but if you guys are getting some playhead skipping, it could be to do with a known issue we have just determined: support.serato.com

Basically, there is the potential for a playhead skip when the motors are changing state. It doesn't happen every time, but it's best to try and avoid ramping of the motors (e.g. turning the motors on/off) when the track is playing.

Aaron
beisi 11:25 PM - 28 January, 2015
Hi Aaron, would this known issue explain an audio jump/skip when ramping up after holding a hot cue and while still held pressing play? have been searching all over the forum to see if this was something to do with the instant start thing.. but after seeing this it seems that it is just a 'known software issue' with no res timeline announced :/

are you guys actively working on this... any possibility of a fix in the next couple of releases? or do you think its better not to wait around..?
djkurve 4:47 AM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Yes, thanks Mike.

I can't quite tell from your descriptions, but if you guys are getting some playhead skipping, it could be to do with a known issue we have just determined: support.serato.com

Basically, there is the potential for a playhead skip when the motors are changing state. It doesn't happen every time, but it's best to try and avoid ramping of the motors (e.g. turning the motors on/off) when the track is playing.

Aaron

"Best to try and avoid ramping of the motors (e.g. turning the motors on/off) when the track is playing."

I didn't pay $1,500 a few years ago to come to find out a few years later that Serato is advising me not to use a feature that's included on my controller. Come on guys... Who dropped the ball on this???
blackavenger 12:27 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Numark NS7II The Best DJ Controller Ever Built. Period

If anyone is stupid enough to buy another Numark active platter controller in the future, they deserve the POS they're likely to get. I'm not citing Serato on this one.....let's just say I'm not buying the whole "best ever build. period" proclamation!

I've wanted to buy this thing since before it dropped, and even as close as a month ago, still "considered" it. But this controller is riddled w' issue after issue, and it can't all be the the software's fault.

Numark's denials and misdirections are what's really surprising here, and the reason I can not trust them for a future device. At least when the SZ screwed up, Pioneer admitted their failure and recalled all of the units, to be repaired at their expense. The NS7II clearly needs some internal repairs that a firmware solution is incapable of providing.

Best of luck to those of you who are stuck w' this thing...
beisi 12:41 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Hi Aaron, would this known issue explain an audio jump/skip when ramping up after holding a hot cue and while still held pressing play? have been searching all over the forum to see if this was something to do with the instant start thing.. but after seeing this it seems that it is just a 'known software issue' with no res timeline announced :/

are you guys actively working on this... any possibility of a fix in the next couple of releases? or do you think its better not to wait around..?

FWIW this wasn't an issue after I adjusted the platter height/tightness... instant start works properly for me now

haven't seen the playhead jumping issue for ramping up/down otherwise....so far.... -knock wood-
DJ Fluke 613 2:34 PM - 3 February, 2015
The playhead issue still exists, along with a slow start up only on left platter after some time. Completely random. The only way to beat the slow start up, is to take the start time knob all the way CW and back CCW to disable it. If it happens again, same thing.

Even last Sunday one of our DJS was using it and it happened to him. It was my fault for not telling him, as I shouldn't have too, however he called and I explained over the phone.

That posting from Serato was published late Nov saying they are aware of the issue. I started this thread in August. For the 4 months in between or so, I don't know why they didn't "acknowledge it". Even once Serato published their bulletin in late Nov they still wanted me to contact Numark to do more troubleshooting. Like WTF, you just said there is a known issue, what else is there to try.

Just for you all to know, this happens on two of my NS7 2's and on two different Macs. Its soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nerve racking at weddings.

It's interesting someone said these issues cannot be fixed with FW/SW and requires internal changes. Maybe that's why the NS73 was created. As technically since the screens would sell as an add on for NS7 2 users, there must be more to the 3 then just screens and colored RGB pads???
blackavenger 3:36 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
It's interesting someone said these issues cannot be fixed with FW/SW and requires internal changes. Maybe that's why the NS73 was created. As technically since the screens would sell as an add on for NS7 2 users, there must be more to the 3 then just screens and colored RGB pads???

Intersting theory.
DJ Fluke 613 3:44 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Intersting theory.

Something is weird man.. If I get the screens on my 2, are you telling me the only difference between the 2 and 3 at that point is colored RGB pads?? NO F way. SSX and SSX2, besides the colored pads, they fixed a bunch of issues that they couldn't fix with FW.

Pio seems to be honest about it. Numark are fucking us around. It's also Serato's fault. This whole posting a bulletin and saying there is no timeline to fix it is fuckery. I am getting paid to work and your telling me I may have an issue and this was two months ago.

Fuck it.
DJ Fluke 613 3:56 PM - 3 February, 2015
Here is a msg I wrote to Chris from Numark after Aaron from Serato said to contact him. He never bothered answering. You can see this message and his first response above.

Hey Chris,

Your message leaves a few empty question marks. Before getting into the details, your answer about general wear and tear, ya maybe on the lower end line, but certainly not on your "high end" product and certainly not after 5 months (got it in Jan and this started beginning of summer). I have owned a whole lot of Numark mixers, 2 NS6. 2 NS7, 2 NS2's, Numark 5000FX , Numark Mixtrack pro and Numark 200FX, also a wide range of cd players, 2 Axis 9, 2 ICDX', 1 CDN 90 and have NEVER had these issues with any of these products (knobs loosing the click on the ones that have it) other than the one NS72.

First off, I had the first NS7 for almost 4 years with Itch and not once did I ever have to "calibrate" or "move all sliders / knobs" before every event. That's bs man. There is clearly an issue between SDJ and this product, as if this issue was universal to high midi as you say, Itch should of had the same issue.

Some Serato DJ users on both Mac. Why do you say some? What separates guys like me with our machine and the ones that don't have this issue? For you to make such a document, it means Numark noticed something and this is their solution. Maybe an internal update with components on later units fixed it or something along those lines. However, the fact that such a note exists, it concludes you know something about it and it's not fixable by SW or FW hence why you have such notes.

Next you say, because of the high midi with these products (NS7, V7 etc) these steps need to be done. Is there anywhere documented that if I use the original NS7 or V7, I must do this? I don't think so, it's only for the NS72, so clearly something is wrong here. Like I said I used 2 of the originals with NO ISSUES.

Your honestly going to tell me nothing is wrong here? I have 2 of them doing this on 2 different machines, how can you say nothing is wrong? Also others on the forums have the same issues.
djkurve 5:29 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Here is a msg I wrote to Chris from Numark after Aaron from Serato said to contact him. He never bothered answering. You can see this message and his first response above.

Hey Chris,

WOW! This is a "drop the mic" moment!!! I too have been active on the Numark forums over the years. I too owned an OG NS7 as soon as they were released and never experienced as many issues as I'm currently having with the NS7 II. Your statement pretty much validates that us NS7 II owners our SOL and will be stuck with this problem. If they fixed this issue with the NS7 III unit then Numark needs to recall all NS7 II's and replace them with an NS7 III unit. (Seeing how it's a NS7 II with NS7 III decals on it. lol!)
Ragman 6:20 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
WOW! This is a "drop the mic" moment!!! I too have been active on the Numark forums over the years. I too owned an OG NS7 as soon as they were released and never experienced as many issues as I'm currently having with the NS7 II. Your statement pretty much validates that us NS7 II owners our SOL and will be stuck with this problem. If they fixed this issue with the NS7 III unit then Numark needs to recall all NS7 II's and replace them with an NS7 III unit. (Seeing how it's a NS7 II with NS7 III decals on it. lol!)

Agreed. This is the least they can do, but Numark has never been known to accept responsibility for a screw up or make amends. Sad because the NS7II (on paper) had the makings of being a legendary controller if they had delivered a stable machine. This could actually hurt NS7III sales. They really should take a page out of pio's book in how to handle issues of this nature.
blackavenger 6:30 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
Sad because the NS7II (on paper) had the makings of being a legendary controller if they had delivered a stable machine.

Totally agree. Like I said earlier, I REALLY wanted to get this controller. but couldn't after reading all the problems that Y'all have been going through
djkurve 6:39 PM - 3 February, 2015
So I finally spoke with someone at Numark about how to calibrate the NS7 II. (Since no one from Numark cared to provide the solution on their forums.) It was immediately deleted by Chris D. Here's why he deleted it....

"Hello,

Thanks for the info. Just an FYI, I'm going to delete your last comment because we don't want to publicly post the calibration process here on the forum. Reason why, If a user browses online and happens to come across this thread and proceeds with this process, they could permanently damage their controller. Keep those instructions handy though for future reference."

Currently on hold with Numark to speak directly to Chris D.

At any rate here's how to calibrate your NS7 II.

NS7II - Calibration
Follow these instructions to calibrate the unit.

Observed - Pads on right deck will blink white to show proper enumeration of mode.

Observed - SYNC on left deck button will go solid red.

3. Press left deck SYNC button.

4. Set both PITCH FADERS to max position.

13. Press left deck SYNC button.

14. On right deck TOUCH STRIP touch start song position.

Observed - All LEDs that would be seen in a normal state will activate.
DJ Fluke 613 6:40 PM - 3 February, 2015
It kinda sucks that companies like Numark and Serato cannot come out and say xxxxxxx. Like wtf is the big secret? Why cant an update be given about that bulletin from November about the playback issue on motorized platter.

Like WTF is the secret about? VDJ gonna know your working on something that should already be fixed? Pathetic.
djkurve 8:51 PM - 3 February, 2015
So after a few calls to Numark this afternoon I found out my NS7 II is a defective unit. LOL! I kept hitting a wall at Step 16 and couldn't finish the calibration process. So there tech support said my unit was defective! Thank god I bought the 36 month repair plan from Guitar Center back in Oct. 2013. Which is a painstaking process. Basically I have to mail the unit out to them. (All expenses paid though! Packaging & Shipping!) There techs have to deem the unit defective. (Even though all GC Pro Coverage has to do is call Numark and have them look up my case file #) But that would be too easy and this process has to be difficult and a major inconvenience to me. Sigh...

@DJ Fluke 613 you bring up a good point with VDJ. I wonder if any VDJ users are experiencing this issue. Time to register and post on their forums. Never thought I'd hear myself say this, but if VDJ 8 is solid with the NS7 II I'm gonna make the switch.
Heltino 8:55 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
So I finally spoke with someone at Numark about how to calibrate the NS7 II. (Since no one from Numark cared to provide the solution on their forums.) It was immediately deleted by Chris D. Here's why he deleted it....

"Hello,

Thanks for the info. Just an FYI, I'm going to delete your last comment because we don't want to publicly post the calibration process here on the forum. Reason why, If a user browses online and happens to come across this thread and proceeds with this process, they could permanently damage their controller. Keep those instructions handy though for future reference."

did this help? what exactly is calibrated by this?

NS7II - Calibration

Observed - Pads on right deck will blink white to show proper enumeration of mode.

djkurve 9:07 PM - 3 February, 2015
Quote:
did this help? what exactly is calibrated by this?

Took me awhile to realize you actually made a comment. (Because you responded inside of the quote.) lol! Anyway.. In my case it didn't work because like I stated in my previous post I have a defective NS7 II. In my case this calibration was used because my pitch sliders weren't reseting at the absolute 0 mark. @Heltino I'd contact Numark directly before you go and attempt this process. It's not a means to solve every issue with the NS7 II. In my particular case it was though.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:20 AM - 4 February, 2015
Hey guys

I'm going to check in with the Products team to see where we are at with this issue.

Apologies for the radio silence, I'm currently on parental leave with my second child and didn't hand this thread over to one of the team.

I'll let you know the status early next week.

Cheers,
Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 12:58 AM - 4 February, 2015
Thanks Aaron.

And congrats on the baby.
Ragman 4:47 AM - 4 February, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys

I'm going to check in with the Products team to see where we are at with this issue.

Apologies for the radio silence, I'm currently on parental leave with my second child and didn't hand this thread over to one of the team.

I'll let you know the status early next week.

Cheers,
Aaron

Congrats Aaron and thanks for checking in...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 5:11 AM - 4 February, 2015
Thanks guys, no worries.

I'm up most hours of the day and night so I might as well do something while I'm at it :)
DJ Fluke 613 1:50 PM - 9 February, 2015
Hey Aaron,

Were going to get an update on this , this week correct?
Heltino 7:08 PM - 9 February, 2015
Aaron,

we need an update on two babies here.
Yours (congrats on that one) and ours (the NS7II)

:)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:07 AM - 10 February, 2015
Haha, no problem.

I can happily say we have implemented a fix for this issue: support.serato.com

It was a really tricky one to determine and could have been approached in a number of different ways, but we are confident the random skipping and jumping that some people are experiencing has been resolved for a coming release. Can't give any dates sorry.

Cheers,
Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 2:39 AM - 10 February, 2015
I don't get it that article says its for v7. What about other motorized units ?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:47 AM - 10 February, 2015
Ah, thanks man.

There was some confusion around this issue and one of the team jumped the gun and edited the article to say only the V7. I have changed it back now.

Aaron
djkurve 3:17 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Haha, no problem.

I can happily say we have implemented a fix for this issue: support.serato.com

It was a really tricky one to determine and could have been approached in a number of different ways, but we are confident the random skipping and jumping that some people are experiencing has been resolved for a coming release. Can't give any dates sorry.

Cheers,
Aaron

So this "fix" Aaron it doesn't physically resolve the bigger issue at hand.... Which is the fact that we (us NS7 II users) can't fully utilize this controller. I mean not being able to utilize these features throughout the duration of our sets is ridiculous. Motor Off to On, Sync Off to On, SHIFT and adjusting Pitch. I'm not mad, but beyond disappointed. The fact that this controller has been out for almost two years and no "physical" software update has been implemented is crazy.

NEVER had this issue with my original NS7. Could turn the motor off to on, engage/dis-engage sync, and adjust the pitch. Why weren't the MIDI messages confused in the NS7?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:25 AM - 10 February, 2015
Hey djkurve

No, the fix _does_ resolve exactly these limitations. Once the release is public, you _will_ be able to do all these things without needing to be worried about random skipping or jumping :) The issue also affected some users with the NS7.

Sorry if I wasn't clear about that.

Aaron
djkurve 3:29 AM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Hey djkurve

No, the fix _does_ resolve exactly these limitations. Once the release is public, you _will_ be able to do all these things without needing to be worried about random skipping or jumping :) The issue also affected some users with the NS7.

Aaron

You sir ARE THE MAN!
Heltino 5:55 PM - 10 February, 2015
Quote:
Hey djkurve

Aaron

You mentioned you can´t tell...I´m a German...I ask anyway:
WHEN? :)

Days, weeks or month?
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:28 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:

"Hello,

NS7II - Calibration

are these correct as i get no left deck sync light come on when i put both pitch to - only if i put them to + but seems i never get this to finish correct....
djkurve 5:14 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

"Hello,

NS7II - Calibration

are these correct as i get no left deck sync light come on when i put both pitch to - only if i put them to + but seems i never get this to finish correct....

Yes this is the proper way to calibarte the NS7 II. I called their tech support and he emailed me this. You might want to give their tech support a call.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:11 PM - 12 February, 2015
Ya might do as i cant get it to work for love of the money only if i do your steps different i.e do + pitch first then -
djkurve 6:50 PM - 12 February, 2015
It has to be in the exact order. That's to ensure a calibration was done correctly/properly.
djkurve 6:57 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
Ya might do as i cant get it to work for love of the money only if i do your steps different i.e do + pitch first then -

i49.photobucket.com
westell54 7:25 PM - 12 February, 2015
This is funny, because so many times, Numark tech support told me over the phone that there was no known calibration method available for the NS7II. I knew there had to be a way. Saving this to memory...
djkurve 7:59 PM - 12 February, 2015
Quote:
This is funny, because so many times, Numark tech support told me over the phone that there was no known calibration method available for the NS7II. I knew there had to be a way. Saving this to memory...

I found it rather funny / odd that the calibration process wasn't posted anywhere online or even in my manual! However, the calibration process for the original NS7 could be found online and in the manual.the only reason they divulge that information to me is because I sounded like I knew what I was talking about on the phone.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:37 AM - 13 February, 2015
Quote:

Days, weeks or month?

Haha... SOON!
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:39 PM - 13 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i49.photobucket.com

Cheers i guess i need talk to Numark why mine is doing that then grrr.

Also has ANYBODY had look completing the calibration process??
DJ Fluke 613 3:41 PM - 13 February, 2015
i did the calibration, it works (it finishes meaning)

it just dosent help :)
djkurve 3:52 PM - 13 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i49.photobucket.com

Cheers i guess i need talk to Numark why mine is doing that then grrr.

Also has ANYBODY had look completing the calibration process??

Good luck!
djkurve 4:09 PM - 13 February, 2015
Quote:
i did the calibration, it works (it finishes meaning)

it just dosent help :)

I could have told you the calibration process wouldn't have fixed this issue. It's more in less a process to reset the pitch, faders, and knobs
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:45 PM - 13 February, 2015
Ok so i just tried to calibrate but did pitch the opisite and it all worked fine and calobrated. But seems strange i had todo it the opisite when it says lowest position it must mean to bottom of the ns7 not as in -%
DJ Fluke 613 1:59 PM - 23 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Days, weeks or month?

Haha... SOON!

Hey Aaron,

With all due respect, what you mentioned here is the same thing you guys mentioned in November when you posted that bulletin. We know that this will be addressed in a future update, however it's not really fair to not give us a definite answer as to when this will be available. The bulletin was posted 3 months ago, I personally have been having this issue since last summer, so what gives? Why do you guys think it's ok to screw people over and make us wait?

Ya we don't have another choice with another software company. I unfortunately have always owned Numark gear and Numark caters more to Serato so I am use to it. Having such a known issue and you guys keeping your "we cannot say when" is getting pretty effin old. Especially when these issues shouldnt exist. Remember we are not asking for you to add new features, we are asking you to fix what should of already been working when the product was released, and waiting months and months is just not right. Especially when you keep us in the dark. Its pretty lame.

You also say you "found" the fix. Have you given this fix to users who experience these issues so they can test and give you feedback? I certainly didn't receive it and I'm the one who started this thread. Why should we count on you to get it right this time without our input, as you certainly didn't get it right the first time. Sometimes you need to think outside the box and you guys are not doing so.
westell54 7:20 PM - 23 February, 2015
DJ Fluke, they did come up with a fix. It's called the NS7III! lol

Just kidding, but it does feel like a Pioneer move, of just releasing another "MK" version, instead of addressing the existing model. Maybe they did actually find the problem and the NS7III also has it. Maybe they're testing it on the NS7III too, so they don't get bad press twice. I agree with you that this is really unacceptable that this hasn't been addressed by now. As it has been said previously in another thread, many of the past fixes have been for the Pioneer units because there was no "workaround" for those units. Maybe this has been low on the priority list because the "workaround is to put it in "NS6" mode and set the latency up to ~20ms. Oh yeah, and don't use any of the "exclusive" features on the NS7II. After that, you shouldn't have anything to complain about. :)

No disrespect to the Serato team, because you guys have always come through in the end (eventually), but it's not a good look when Numark isn't making a presence on here to take most of this (well deserved) heat. I also agree that it shows in our profiles who has the NS7II, so why not contact us for testing purposes. I'd be willing to let them look at my setup if it will help us all out in the end.
DjBliZz 7:58 PM - 23 February, 2015
I get the slow motor on start every once in a while during a set. It has happened on both decks, but happens more on the left deck. My "solution" is to give the platter a little push and it corrects itself. This only happens when the start time is set to zero for "instant start"

I also get the song skipping randomly issue every once in a while. It always skips back and not forward and never to a specific point in the song like a previous cue point or song start. It's pretty annoying. I read that the touch strip was deactivated while the deck is playing in the latest SDJ release, but this is not true on the NS7-II. I tested it Saturday night and I could freely skip around the song with the touch strip while the song was playing.

On Saturday, everything froze on me after about an hour or so into my set. That has never happened while inside. It happened a few weeks ago at an outside gig with direct sunlight which I halfway expected. I got the pinwheel and had to hold down the power button on MBP to restart. I won't go into that issue since that's not what this post is about though. Just sharing because it really made me mad and it worked perfect the night before. I almost broke my headphones.
djkurve 8:10 PM - 23 February, 2015
So I went ahead and purchased a DDJ SX 2 from Guitar Center the other day. It's not perfect, but over 6 hours of using it and no hiccups.
DjBliZz 8:34 PM - 23 February, 2015
I hate the SX. It feels so cheaply made and doesn't have the ability of post-fader effects (the SZ doesn't either).

I'm just patiently waiting for the firmware update that Numark has promised. The NS7-III is the same hardware as the II so I'm hoping that this firmware update is the solution to all of our problems. I know it will unlock the RGB pads and DVS support as well as the screen add-on support. They just need to hurry up and give us the update. My guess is that it still isn't stable yet so they don't want to rush it and start a whole new set of problems for us.
DjBliZz 8:42 PM - 23 February, 2015
And just to add, I have never switched the motors on/off (I JUST found out that was even an option) and sync has been disabled in the setup screen since I first opened SDJ and switched from SSL. So my issue with the track skipping is not related to that. Maybe its a faulty touch strip or due to temperature changes? Is there a way to disable the touch strip? This is my second NS7-II and its only about a month old. My first one lasted 2 months and had a faulty MPC pad (pad 3 on left deck was sticking and misfiring).

I love this controller. It got me to make the switch from a vinyl setup to a controller when my DJM800 finally died on me and I needed to find a new solution but didn't want to just buy a new mixer.
blackavenger 9:57 PM - 23 February, 2015
Quote:
hate the SX. It feels so cheaply made and doesn't have the ability of post-fader effects (the SZ doesn't either).

I feel you. I was not a fan of the SX's build quality either, but I ended up buying the SX2 anyway. I don't mind it so much now. It is what it is......it had the best feature to cost ratio of all the SDJ controllers. Though, I am still waiting on a truly professional controller to surface.

Oh, and by the way, you're wrong about the SX/SX2 not having post fader Isotope effects......they both do. The SZ does not have post fader Isotope effects, but does have post fader Colour effects.
DjBliZz 10:09 PM - 23 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
hate the SX. It feels so cheaply made and doesn't have the ability of post-fader effects (the SZ doesn't either).

I feel you. I was not a fan of the SX's build quality either, but I ended up buying the SX2 anyway. I don't mind it so much now. It is what it is......it had the best feature to cost ratio of all the SDJ controllers. Though, I am still waiting on a truly professional controller to surface.

Oh, and by the way, you're wrong about the SX/SX2 not having post fader Isotope effects......they both do. The SZ does not have post fader Isotope effects, but does have post fader Colour effects.

My bad. I haven't played on the SX in a long while so my memory was recalling just the SZ I guess since I've played on that more recently. I love post fader effects and use them heavily in my sets. On my old DJM800, it took me a while to figure out post fader effects. I had to select either A or B instead of the actual channel # in the effects selector. Well, that was for post cross fader effects. The channel faders always worked post fader.

Now let's get this back on track and continue to bitch about the Numark NS7-II (Buying a different brand is NOT a solution)...
blackavenger 10:24 PM - 23 February, 2015
Quote:
Now let's get this back on track and continue to bitch about the Numark NS7-II

haha.
westell54 1:16 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

haha.

I agree, but I just hope they don't consider the NS7III the fix we're all waiting for...
DjBliZz 1:45 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

haha.

I agree, but I just hope they don't consider the NS7III the fix we're all waiting for...

Numark keeps saying that the III is the same exact hardware as the II but come shipped with the new firmware and obviously the detachable screens, both of which are also for the II.
DJ Fluke 613 1:50 AM - 24 February, 2015
Don't you guys find it funny how neither Numark or Serato answer our questions directly.
djkurve 1:54 AM - 24 February, 2015
Quote:
Don't you guys find it funny how neither Numark or Serato answer our questions directly.

+1
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:48 PM - 26 February, 2015
Hey guys

I'm still here :) DJ Fluke 613, what is your question?

In response to the time taken, our apologies for this. We very very nearly got the fix into SDJ 1.7.2 late last year, but the tech lead working on the issue was concerned it could potentially introduce other issues due to the module of code involved.

We therefore decided not to rush it in and pushed it back for thorough testing. Since then there has only been one release (which did not contain any code changes) so the next release (coming soon!) has turned out to be first opportunity to get it in for you guys.

I totally understand your frustration on this guys. Before working here, I was once in a similar situation and got pretty upset. I can assure you though, that we do try our absolute best to resolve issues like this as soon as we can. If the cause of this issue had been narrowed down 1 week earlier, the fix would have been in 1.7.2 and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There will be a version for everyone to test very soon. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but the reasons for not telling you exactly when are extremely good ones.

Thanks for hanging in there guys.

Aaron
DjBliZz 8:54 PM - 26 February, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys

I'm still here :) DJ Fluke 613, what is your question?

In response to the time taken, our apologies for this. We very very nearly got the fix into SDJ 1.7.2 late last year, but the tech lead working on the issue was concerned it could potentially introduce other issues due to the module of code involved.

We therefore decided not to rush it in and pushed it back for thorough testing. Since then there has only been one release (which did not contain any code changes) so the next release (coming soon!) has turned out to be first opportunity to get it in for you guys.

I totally understand your frustration on this guys. Before working here, I was once in a similar situation and got pretty upset. I can assure you though, that we do try our absolute best to resolve issues like this as soon as we can. If the cause of this issue had been narrowed down 1 week earlier, the fix would have been in 1.7.2 and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

There will be a build for everyone to test very soon. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but the reasons for not telling you exactly when are extremely good ones.

Thanks for hanging in there guys.

Aaron

Thanks for the update. My question with this though is would the coming firmware update for the NS7-II (same firmware that the III will ship with) have any effect on the hard work coding that you guys have already fixed or have you guys been able to test it with the new firmware? Maybe SDJ 1.7.4 will be released the same time as the new firmware?
DJ Fluke 613 11:29 PM - 2 March, 2015
How come the NS7 2 skipping issue is not mentioned in the release notes?

Was it not added?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:12 AM - 3 March, 2015
Hey DJ Fluke

Yes, sorry, it's the last bug fix (SDJ-12338) which specifies the V7 as that's how it was first logged in our system.

Please try out the beta with the NS7, NS7II, and V7 - the fix for this issue: support.serato.com is in the latest beta version available now from: serato.com

Please report any issues in the beta area as this will ensure direct attention from the products and development team.

Also let me know here how you go, I'm interested to hear.

Aaron
djkurve 2:23 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Hey DJ Fluke

Yes, sorry, it's the last bug fix (SDJ-12338) which specifies the V7 as that's how it was first logged in our system.

Please try out the beta with the NS7, NS7II, and V7 - the fix for this issue: support.serato.com is in the latest beta version available now from: serato.com

Please report any issues in the beta area as this will ensure direct attention from the products and development team.

Also let me know here how you go, I'm interested to hear.

Aaron

What about turning the motors on/off? I didn't see a bug fix for that....
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:32 AM - 3 March, 2015
Yeah sorry again, it's all part of the same bug report.

The original logged issue was about SYNC and the V7, but then the tech lead on the case found it to be broader to include the NS7s and other platter control inputs.

Please give it a try and report any continuing issues (if any) in the beta area. I would be keen to hear too.

Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 3:06 AM - 3 March, 2015
Thank you Aaron. Next week at the wedding we have I'm gonna use the beta and I'm going to play the first dance in sdj. Will be the first time I do this in 8 months. Maybe I can uninstall vdj...

If it fucks up I will let you know.

Sometimes you gotta put yourself in a situation.
DjBliZz 4:52 AM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
Thank you Aaron. Next week at the wedding we have I'm gonna use the beta and I'm going to play the first dance in sdj. Will be the first time I do this in 8 months. Maybe I can uninstall vdj...

If it fucks up I will let you know.

Sometimes you gotta put yourself in a situation.

You definitely shouldn't do that. You should try it at home a few times first. It's a beta. The initial screen is a warning against using it at a gig.
westell54 5:53 AM - 3 March, 2015
Yeah, it's a little buggy on my setup. I'm not sure what's causing it, but I wouldn't trust it live just yet.
DJ Fluke 613 11:27 AM - 3 March, 2015
I will test it more guys. And it will not be used at a gig. I just hope this skip head problem is really fixed.
Philmixit 11:45 AM - 3 March, 2015
I tested 1.7.4 and it is hot love love it I ran it on my NS711 for three hours with no problem, if this is just the BETA when the full release it going to be the best, yes ,the quality of the music is for me 100% better, thank SERATO you Guys are the best!!
May be now people will have good thing to say now, Aaron E to the Serato team nice JOB.
DJ Fluke 613 1:11 PM - 3 March, 2015
Ya it does feel good. It seems "lighter" if that makes sense.
DJ Fluke 613 1:11 PM - 3 March, 2015
Thanks Aaron.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:45 PM - 3 March, 2015
Iv had issue with the sound just going from the output. Sdj still working you can hear music from one chanel in headphones but mater and booth no output at all. Hmmmm
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:02 AM - 4 March, 2015
Cool guys, thanks for the feedback.

Hey Woolsey, you know the rules - beta feedback in the beta area! :)

Aaron
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:17 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:

Aaron

Already done, Just hitting it out here for user reach to see if it's a wider issue :-)
djkurve 4:56 AM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Yeah sorry again, it's all part of the same bug report.

The original logged issue was about SYNC and the V7, but then the tech lead on the case found it to be broader to include the NS7s and other platter control inputs.

Please give it a try and report any continuing issues (if any) in the beta area. I would be keen to hear too.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:19 PM - 5 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Aaron

Already done, Just hitting it out here for user reach to see if it's a wider issue :-)

Haha, okay fair enough. This thread is pretty specific though, maybe start a new one?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:39 PM - 5 March, 2015
It's ok you guys just confirmed it's a known issue and will be fixed in next beta 😀
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:47 PM - 5 March, 2015
Perfect!

Love it when a system works 😀
Mike from Chicago 4:40 PM - 23 March, 2015
Quote:
I tested 1.7.4 and it is hot love love it I ran it on my NS711 for three hours with no problem, if this is just the BETA when the full release it going to be the best, yes ,the quality of the music is for me 100% better, thank SERATO you Guys are the best!!
May be now people will have good thing to say now, Aaron E to the Serato team nice JOB.

Do you get sound distortion after an hour of play? What OSX are you running 10.9.5?
DJ Fluke 613 8:49 PM - 12 April, 2015
Just at an event...using beta 4 and the damn left deck skipped again, forward. You guys dont know how fuckin embarrassing this is.

Fuck this.
wadup 1:05 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Just at an event...using beta 4 and the damn left deck skipped again, forward. You guys dont know how fuckin embarrassing this is.

Fuck this.

smh....there's a big warning when you open up the beta version not to use at a live performance.
Ragman 1:19 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:

Fuck this.

So why did you disregard the warning on the front screen and continue to use it at a live gig? Just REAL curious, because a beta version is very unstable, which is also pointed out on the front screen.
DJ Fluke 613 1:35 AM - 13 April, 2015
you kidding me bro? You think this issue started with the beta?? They said they FIXED the issue in this beta. I have been waiting since August for it.

Don't come tell me to not use a beta.
amada32 4:11 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
Fuck this.

I can relate. The issue seems like poor firmware/drivers from Numark leave Serato holding the bag to fix the issue. Serato has done a lot to work around the issue(s), and I give them props for that, but what they should do is press Numark to address the root cause and be more proactive in general.

Numark's solution seems to be to come out with "new" controllers that have the same problems as the old controllers (which points to drivers/firmware as the likely suspect). I have all but given up on my V7s which is sad because I think the V7 had the potential to be one of the best and most versatile controllers. The resale value on my V7s is basically non-existent, so they just collect dust.

Look at the Numark hardware help forum. It's a ghost town. No one posts there because they don't ever get any real help. It's always the standard script, optimize or open a help request (which I have done with no success).

"Fuck this" summarizes my feelings exactly. Just trying to show some solidarity.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:25 AM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:

Fuck this.

That's not good at all did you open a bug report in the 1.7.4beta area as sure they would want to hear about this.
DJ Fluke 613 1:14 PM - 13 April, 2015
yes I opened the request.
Ragman 1:51 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
you kidding me bro? You think this issue started with the beta?? They said they FIXED the issue in this beta. I have been waiting since August for it.

Don't come tell me to not use a beta.

I didn't tell you not to use a beta. Serato does on the very first screen that comes up when you launch the beta. Regardless if they fixed something or not, you're taking a big gamble because the beta is still considered unstable, which is also stated on the first screen.
DJ Fluke 613 2:13 PM - 13 April, 2015
So your suggestion is to use the version that doesn't have the fix and behaves worse ?

Your on point bro!
DjBliZz 4:34 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
So your suggestion is to use the version that doesn't have the fix and behaves worse ?

Your on point bro!

For a gig, yes. Betas are for testing in non-gig atmospheres like at home. I honestly think it's a hardware issue with the search strip getting worn out. Sucks. It happens to me too.
Mike from Chicago 5:19 PM - 13 April, 2015
Hey guys! Fluke, I felt your pain and couldn't deal with the issues anymore due to making money as a mobile took priority over stressing about the control so I sold it and bought the DDJ-SX. Luckily I have beat the hell out of it and don't have any issues, other than a concern with knobs for the mic section.

Someone needs to regulate poor quality (whatever maybe). From design flaws to tech support. When you buy the best of the best you have to get the best period.
DJ Fluke 613 6:32 PM - 13 April, 2015
I may get the SX 2...

I cannot deal with this anymore. Its not worth it.
Mike from Chicago 6:43 PM - 13 April, 2015
Word of advice on the SX or SX2. After a few uses and possibly over the months be aware the aluminum on the faceplate will in fact warp near hotcue pads.

I was looking at the SX2 and its identical to the original SX. The faceplate is one solid sheet of thin aluminum. It's a big pop can to say it politely.

I purchased the SZ because it's 3 separate piece and seems to be screwed down securely. I also pickup the Drip it replace it warranty and pioneer also covers the shipping cost. Instead of paying $60-100 when you might need to get it serviced. Good luck!
westell54 7:44 PM - 13 April, 2015
If I were to get one, it would have to be the SX2 or the SZ. I've played on the SX and little touches like the RGB pads are a very nice touch that I'd want. On the SZ, I'd want the larger platters and higher res platter display. On the other hand, my NS7II issues haven't been bad enough to warrant spending so much on the SZ, and the SX would feel like a downgrade.

I've been going back and forth with them with the beta, and I've been making some good progress. The other hardware issues with the NS7II will just end up being what they are...
Ragman 10:00 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:

Your on point bro!

Again you're taking my comments personal. I'm only pointing out that the beta should not be used for live gigs as stated by Serato. Doesn't have anything to do with me being on point. If you don't want feedback, don't post in a public forum.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:20 AM - 14 April, 2015
Hey guys

The fix referred to in the Beta is now in the Serato DJ 1.7.4 release version available from serato.com.

DJ Fluke 613 - can I ask you to try this version and report back? It really sucks that you are still experiencing this issue, but with positive feedback coming from others, it really is seeming like there is something hardware specific going on for you.

Aaron
DJ Fluke 613 11:00 AM - 14 April, 2015
Do you know what I find funny Aaron, is that when beta 1 got released , the release notes didn't mention Ns7 just V7, however you said it was a typo.

Is that really the case ? You would think if a typo was done the company would correct in the final release notes , but you didn't.

So either the ns7 issue wasent adressed and the fix is only for v7, or you guys are completely disorganized.

As even someone today who would look at that bulletin you posted back in November, would think the issue still exists as again no where in the release notes you mention ns7, no where.

I alao think that's why its so hard to report this issue as no where in your notes it says the ns7 was addressed. That's why the support forum people are clueless when we tell em as there is a discrepancy .
DjBliZz 8:25 PM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
Do you know what I find funny Aaron, is that when beta 1 got released , the release notes didn't mention Ns7 just V7, however you said it was a typo.

Is that really the case ? You would think if a typo was done the company would correct in the final release notes , but you didn't.

So either the ns7 issue wasent adressed and the fix is only for v7, or you guys are completely disorganized.

As even someone today who would look at that bulletin you posted back in November, would think the issue still exists as again no where in the release notes you mention ns7, no where.

I alao think that's why its so hard to report this issue as no where in your notes it says the ns7 was addressed. That's why the support forum people are clueless when we tell em as there is a discrepancy .

I don't feel like looking for it, but if memory serves me correct I remember someone at Serato addressing this. They said something like the V7 was the first to be brought to their attention and the fix is for any controller with motorized platters. But I do agree that if they put V7 in the notes then they should add NS7 as well if the fix also fixes the NS7 as we in this thread have been explaining and testing. Could someone from Serato please shed some light on this for us NS7-II users?
DJ Fluke 613 10:52 PM - 14 April, 2015
From another thread , Jamie the serato support tech stated to me if my issue was exactly the same as the V7 issue, then I shouldn't have this issue and because I still have it, then my issue is different from what they admitted.

The damn song forwards itself or backs itself up. I don't care what defines the V7 issue is, but I cannot have songs forward and back up randomly.

WTF. If disabling touch strip is the fix, then you must ask yourself, why didn't itch ever have this problem. NEVER.

Also to what point will Numark get involved? The useless guys there don't chime in, ignore us on their forums. Like serato can only do so much at the software level, I believe this is a driver or firmware issue, but serato are the ones who need to pressure Numark. You can keep changing the coding day and night and adding things that you think is the fix, however, if its truly at the manufacturer level, why are we wasting time?

Also, an NS7 2 with the screens is an NS7 3. Why would they release a so called NS7 3? Did they update some internal components? Some shit just dosent add up.

I wish I can meet Chris D at numark one day, im tell him off in person and tell him how useless he is.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:19 PM - 14 April, 2015
Hey DJ Fluke 613,

Quote:
WTF. If disabling touch strip is the fix, then you must ask yourself, why didn't itch ever have this problem. NEVER.

We handle midi slightly different in Serato DJ.
Basically we listen to more midi messages that a controller sends, where as in ITCH we don't.

Like I have said in your BETA thread, if you could go through my recommendations and get back to me it would really help us identify where we think the issue lies.

Im keen to help you out man, but for me to do that I need you to troubleshoot with me :)

Thanks,
Jamie
DJ Fluke 613 11:29 PM - 14 April, 2015
Jamie,

What else do you want me to do? Disable touch strip and risk it? Let's say it does happen:

1. Id be embarrassed once again. I don't think you understand how bs this is. BS!!!

2. What would you want to do next if it does happen? Since freakin August I have reported this issue and not til November where you some what admitted to it. Then 4 months later (today) it still happens. What are you possibly going to do now that you haven't done since August?

If it dosent happen,

1. Is this the fix, 100%?
2. If yes, why would Numark design a feature that dosent work? Again at what point do YOU the software coder, say hey MANUFACTURER something is up here.

Can you honestly tell me an NS7 2 with screens is identical to an NS7 3?
DjBliZz 12:18 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
Jamie,

What else do you want me to do? Disable touch strip and risk it? Let's say it does happen:

1. Id be embarrassed once again. I don't think you understand how bs this is. BS!!!

2. What would you want to do next if it does happen? Since freakin August I have reported this issue and not til November where you some what admitted to it. Then 4 months later (today) it still happens. What are you possibly going to do now that you haven't done since August?

If it dosent happen,

2. If yes, why would Numark design a feature that dosent work? Again at what point do YOU the software coder, say hey MANUFACTURER something is up here.

Can you honestly tell me an NS7 2 with screens is identical to an NS7 3?

I'm guessing and hoping that Numark made a few hardware changes in the NS73. They said it's exactly the same, just comes bundled with the screen attachment that also works on the NS72. But a change in higher quality parts for the Filter knobs and the touch strip seems to me like something enough of us have complained about where they could silently make those higher quality on the NS73 and still be able to say the hardware is the same. I really think the issue is with the material the touch strip is made out of. It seems pretty thin and fragile. My guess is that it warps when being in "extreme" temperatures/climates so it ends of randomly triggering at parts of the strip. For me, it has happened on both decks both forward and backward and I've never enabled Sync or disabled Motors like they said was the cause of it. I honestly think Numark has been ignoring the issue until they officially launch the NS73 (When is that btw? I thought it was supposed to be in March?).
DJ Fluke 613 1:13 AM - 15 April, 2015
Im guessing the 3 will have a different firmware / drivers, so maybe they will make that available to us, but ya if like you said if its temperature related then no software, drivers or firmware can fix it

its just cheep parts...
djkurve 1:38 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:
Also, an NS7 2 with the screens is an NS7 3. Why would they release a so called NS7 3? Did they update some internal components? Some shit just dosent add up.

Your right. It's just a "re-fresher" Nothing has changed internally. They did this so they could try and move more product.

Quote:
I wish I can meet Chris D at numark one day, im tell him off in person and tell him how useless he is.

THIS ALL DAY!!! I thought of this when you said that...

youtu.be
DJ Fluke 613 1:43 AM - 15 April, 2015
lol
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:31 AM - 15 April, 2015
Quote:

I totally understand this would be terrible in a live situation.
I take it you also mix at home? So my recommendation would be test this at home and see if you can still reproduce it.

Quote:

If it still happens then its not related to the random midi messages issue the V7 fix was for.
At that point I would recommend you contact Numark (or the reseller you purchased the NS7II from) and get it serviced. Even see if there is another unit you can test on your machine to see if you can still reproduce the issue. Do you have a friend with a NS7 as well?

Quote:
If it dosent happen,

If it doesn't happen with the needle search turned off we then know its most probably the same issue as the V7. Our developers then have something to investigate and look into.

Once developers have investigated what work needs to be done, we will be left with 2 main options.

1. Its a software issue, we will look at fixing in a future version.
2. Its a hardware issue, we will then send our findings onto Numark.

Get back to me in your BETA thread if/once you troubleshoot a little further and we can take it from there.

Jamie
DJ Fluke 613 2:41 AM - 15 April, 2015
Funny how you just brush off my ns7 3 question... twice by you and twice by Aaron. You guys still don't think Numark should be involved ? After this 8 month old thread. Crazy.

Ya I mix at home, so what? You know Jamie I have 2 ns7 on 2 different Macs... this happens on both even with a cross of hardware. You can see how I mentioned this dozen times in this thread.

Just keep at it, keep fucking our image.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:48 AM - 15 April, 2015
Oh sorry man, I did brush off that question without even realising it.
In regards to it being the same as the NS7ii, I actually don't know. Its best to ask Numark that.

Quote:
Ya I mix at home, so what? You know Jamie I have 2 ns7 on 2 different Macs... this happens on both even with a cross of hardware. You can see how I mentioned this dozen times in this thread.

My bad, I haven't read this whole thread. I was just going off what you had posted in the BETA area. So you have two devices that you can reproduce this issue on. Well again let me know if turning needle search off resolves it.

Thanks.
Jamie
Philmixit 4:15 PM - 15 April, 2015
Hi Jamie W , how are you ? I understand what DJ Fluke 613 say, I have the NS 7 11 to ,and I start playing it , about 30 min, every thing stop working, I was using the 1.7.4 beta when it stop working. I restart every thing and try again, and it work for about four hours.
Philmixit 4:17 PM - 15 April, 2015
I am going to use the 1.7.4 release and see if it happen again.
DJ Fluke 613 7:24 PM - 13 May, 2015
so just to update everyone...

Since May 2nd, the NS7 2 has been at 6 events so far with no issues. I installed 1.7.5 and I have confirmed the disable touch strip is enabled and it seems to be ok. If by the end of this month, I don't have a single hiccup, I will be convinced.
Heltino 7:29 PM - 13 May, 2015
same here. since 1.7.4 much better, since 1.7.5 no more issues.
DjBliZz 7:57 PM - 13 May, 2015
I had a few issues with 1.7.4 but 1.7.5 with touch strip disabled has been stable so far. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the driver when I updated to 1.7.5

Still need something to be done about the cue loop colors. That's the only issue I have been having lately. Not easily able to determine at a glance which cue mode I'm in and it starts looping when I dont want it to. I'm all for RGB cue point pads but maybe not for the cue loop mode and to make the "cue" mode button change to a color that isn't so similar to the regular cue point mode color.
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 8:25 PM - 13 May, 2015
Hi Serato , look here is other dj who need what i tell SERATO to please help Colors LED on HotCue Mode .......Only Solution and faster is that you put the same configuration on cue loop mode like Serato 1.7.2 all color cue Yellow and active cueloop on Blue ....thats alll we need please ......the multicolor led on Hotcue are GREAT that dont move ....PLEASE

Att:
Edwin Altamirano VDJ
DjBliZz 8:32 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:
Hi Serato , look here is other dj who need what i tell SERATO to please help Colors LED on HotCue Mode .......Only Solution and faster is that you put the same configuration on cue loop mode like Serato 1.7.2 all color cue Yellow and active cueloop on Blue ....thats alll we need please ......the multicolor led on Hotcue are GREAT that dont move ....PLEASE

Att:
Edwin Altamirano VDJ

+1
DJ Fluke 613 8:58 PM - 13 May, 2015
you guys talking about manual loop?

if yes, to be honest, I never use manual. I always use auto.

Its funny though, why would they change such behavior.
DjBliZz 9:09 PM - 13 May, 2015
No. The auto cue loop. Secondary function on the cue mode button.
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 9:20 PM - 13 May, 2015
HotCue Mode .........now are Multicolors leds ITS GRAT ............. second Function CueLoop make like Serato 1.7.2 .......... Cue loop Yellow AND when active cue loop make BLUE color pads nothing more ....Please .....Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
DJ Fluke 613 9:53 PM - 13 May, 2015
Ahh ok, never used it. Im sure theyl fix.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:52 PM - 13 May, 2015
Hey DJ Fluke 613, DjBliZz, and Heltino

Thanks for the feedback. The skipping and loss of audio should now be a thing of the past thankfully! I know I'm on the other side of the equation, but I really really didn't like these issues either.

DjBliZz and Edwin - so you are both saying that you would like to not have RGB pad colours for Hot Loop mode, and have the 'CUES' selector button change to a more different colour so you better know at a glance which mode you're in?

Cheers, Aaron
DjBliZz 11:08 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. The skipping and loss of audio should now be a thing of the past thankfully! I know I'm on the other side of the equation, but I really really didn't like these issues either.

DjBliZz and Edwin - so you are both saying that you would like to not have RGB pad colours for Hot Loop mode, and have the 'CUES' selector button change to a more different colour so you better know at a glance which mode you're in?

Cheers, Aaron

Yes. OR everything you just said but maybe have the selected cue loop pad blink or not light up when activated. Mostly the mode button being a less similar color. I LOVE the RGB pads in hot cue mode. I would be OK with having the hot loop mode pad colors back to how they were before, just needs to have some kind of different look to it than the hot cue mode. I hope that makes sense.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:19 PM - 13 May, 2015
Yep, totally makes sense.

Making a more different colour for the Hot Loop mode totally makes sense and I can see what you mean about a difference in state when something is triggered. The one tricky thing about changes like this though is we don't know how many people will then be upset because they prefer how it is now.... lol - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

We'll have a chat about it and I'll get back to you.

Aaron
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 11:19 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:

Cheers, Aaron

Hi , Look the 8 multi colors pads are GREAT the problem is when i press cueloop mode the 8 PADS stay multicolors and when active a cueloop no blink no diferent nothing i dont now wich cueloop pad is active .......ONLY make it like serato dj 1.7.2 ...on cueloop mode all 8 pads with Hotcue color are Yellow and when active cue loop the PAD turns Blue ......Nothing more Please...............
The multicolors pads are Ok dont move that please only second fuction cueloop 8 PADS make
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:50 AM - 14 May, 2015
Cool, thanks Edwin. I'll put that into the mix :)
ChronicX 6:04 AM - 14 May, 2015
Is it possible to leave the pads multicoloured, have two distinct colours for the cue mode button... And.. Have the cue loop mode button change to the colour of the looped pad when the loop is activated? This should be enough to see which cue is looped without looking at the screen and changing up much.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:46 PM - 14 May, 2015
Good idea, ChronicX. I'll put that forward.
Edwin Altamirano VDJ 9:58 PM - 14 May, 2015
thanks for all your help but i think is more easy to make the 8 pads of cueloop like serato 1.7.2 make it yellow and active cueloop make it blue .........thats all ......the 8 multicolored led pads on hotcue are great dont move that its grate only cuelooop mode nothing more please ...thanks
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 7:24 PM - 6 November, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I'm just posting back in this thread because it hasn't been posted on for quite some time. A lot of the requests posted this thread have been featured in Serato's latest build of 1.8.0. I recommend, if you haven't done so already, update to the latest version of Serato DJ 1.8.0 - serato.com.

For future support regarding your Numark hardware or hardware related questions, feel free to post on our Numark forum community.numark.com.

Thanks!
DJ Fluke 613 8:30 PM - 6 November, 2015
Hey Chris,

Thanks for committing 14 months later! Also thanks for ignoring my pm to you in August 2014 about the issues I reported when this was started.

You should be fired man.
amada32 9:12 PM - 6 November, 2015
Lol.