DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

old dj, new system

hollywood2010 3:47 AM - 30 July, 2014
Hello everyone. I've been djing since 1984 but since that time we have been using all peavey stuff. a set of SP2's (that we rebuilt about 8 years ago) and peavey amps.

We are older now and tired of lugging around all the old stuff. The peavey stuff seemed very loud and sounded great. I've only had a chance to listen to a few systems and wanted some opinions.

I did order a set of EV ELX118p's for subs and a set of EV ZLX12p's but the ZLX12p's seemed to limit quickly even when set to run with the sub. So I sent them back. Again they just didn't seem as loud as the old Peaveys.

I also listened to the ELX115p's and were pretty impressed. I've not heard the ETX line yet but I don't have $1200 to spend on each speaker.

So I guess to make a long story short I have several questions.

Does anyone still use peavey stuff for gigs? If so what model? I've been to a ton of event and we were the only ones still running it. Also I pulled up the peavey site and now there are tons of choices. Back in the mid 80's I think there were like 2. What seems to be the active line of peavey's people are running now?

What system can take a good beating and still be fine and is loud?

Most all weddings we play are aound 150-250 people but a couple times a year we play an outdoor event for about 800 people.

any recommendations (not flaming) would be recommended.

Sorry but been out of the market for so long, I'm starting back at square one and want to hear for people that actually use the stuff, not someone just trying to sell me things.
dj jamalot 6:09 AM - 30 July, 2014
in the 80's the SP2's along with the FH1's were a good choice until i could afford vegas...The CS 800 was one of the best amp's of all time till i heard a qsc... lots of better stuff out there now i'm surprised you held on to those for so long...
Joee 12:22 PM - 30 July, 2014
do you still have the elx118p's?

what is your total budget for tops?

if you returned the subs,what is your total system budget?
DJ Nightmare Productions 1:10 PM - 30 July, 2014
Sp2s are good.. i have 4 in the trailer... Newer ones of course..
hollywood2010 4:11 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
in the 80's the SP2's along with the FH1's were a good choice until i could afford vegas...The CS 800 was one of the best amp's of all time till i heard a qsc... lots of better stuff out there now i'm surprised you held on to those for so long...

kept them because they are work horses for sure and still sound great. Just sucks because it takes two people to get them up onto poles.
hollywood2010 4:12 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
do you still have the elx118p's?

what is your total budget for tops?

if you returned the subs,what is your total system budget?

I have one elx118p left. sold other one. I dunno if I sold it I might get $400ish, so total budget would be about $1600 then.

Why? What you thinking?
Joee 4:21 PM - 30 July, 2014
if you only have one elx118p the obvious paring would be a pair of elx112p's, that system will get the job done for 100 to 200 people

for a outdoor even of 800 people you will need much more, why not use your old passive gear for those outdoor events

i would also look into these they sound pretty nice and give a nice bass even when used stand alone without a sub
www.ebay.com
DeeJay*CASPER 4:31 PM - 30 July, 2014
maaaaaan you are taking me back with that peavey set up LOL.

that 800 amp was the heaviest amp in the world, I didn't even keep it in the amp rack LOL
hollywood2010 4:38 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
if you only have one elx118p the obvious paring would be a pair of elx112p's, that system will get the job done for 100 to 200 people

for a outdoor even of 800 people you will need much more, why not use your old passive gear for those outdoor events

i would also look into these they sound pretty nice and give a nice bass even when used stand alone without a sub
www.ebay.com

you know I keep hearing about these DXR15's. I think I may go that way
hollywood2010 5:21 PM - 30 July, 2014
well I pulled the trigger and bought a set of DSR (YES S) 115s
Joee 5:29 PM - 30 July, 2014
why did you get the dsr over the dxr? i thought you said you didn't have $1,300 for one speaker? aren't those $1,000 speakers?

also those dsr's are heavy 62lbs, i can tell you with confidence that the dxr sounds good but i've never heard the dsr
Al Poulin 1:37 AM - 31 July, 2014
The DSR115s are very high SPL actives that hit hard. They are 60lbs, but have a very durable line-x finish and excellent warranty. I own the DXR15s and loe them as they are perfect for my needs, but if I needed even more SPL and more high freqeuncy capability, the DSR115s would be at the top of my list.

Al
DJ GaFFle 6:16 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
well I pulled the trigger and bought a set of DSR (YES S) 115s

My only qualm about the Yamaha stuff is their nover-abundant subs. They're underachievers in comparison to their JBL/QSC/EV competition.
rayjthedj 11:12 PM - 31 July, 2014
GaFFle hit my biggest qualm with Yamaha!! They do not make a PRO AUDIO sub, they make a few (wish I would grow up to be a sub) subs.

I have a set of DXR15s, and I like the sound, like the mixer section, hate the finish. I do like the DSR stff, but not more than the ETX stuff I bought, or I would have bougt DSR. Their refusesal to get in the sub game, lost my business and I am sure many other Djs.
DJ GaFFle 12:58 AM - 1 August, 2014
If I were a live musician or had a live band, I'd strongly consider the DSR stuff. Durable, loud, and more vocal-oriented, plus the bass cabinets probably have the preferred 'kick' for live drums as opposed to deep bass used in playback music. I still wouldn't choose them over the ETX stuff because it's EV.