DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato Dongle

DJ Herschel 12:00 PM - 25 July, 2014
Hi

Why doesn't Serato create a dongle to activate the software,so that one doesn't need to carry around a controller or an Rane SL box?
It would make things so much easier when doing club gigs & you're gonna plug into a CDJ via USB.
Logisticalstyles 1:24 PM - 25 July, 2014
Because then people would only buy the dongle and not the controller, mixer or SL box.
DJ Herschel 1:41 PM - 25 July, 2014
True,but Serato is a software company who should be concentrating on their software being easily compatible with the hardware out in the field.
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:59 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
True,but Serato is a software company who should be concentrating on their software being easily compatible with the hardware out in the field.

This is what happens she you hit the pipe for breckfast
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:53 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

Exactly, so why are you asking them to make hardware......
Taipanic 5:19 PM - 25 July, 2014
The soundcard IS the dongle...
You would still need a way to separate the time code signal and the line signal as well as convert the analog & digital sources in/out of the computer. What you want doesn't make sense and wouldn't make anything easier.
DJ DisGrace 5:28 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
You would still need a way to separate the time code signal and the line signal as well as convert the analog & digital sources in/out of the computer. What you want doesn't make sense and wouldn't make anything easier.

Quote:
This is what happens she you hit the pipe for breckfast
Davideon 7:36 PM - 25 July, 2014
It's doesn't need a dongle. It has a serial number
Taipanic 7:39 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

LOL, try doing a mix without a controller, Certified Mixer, or SL box. SMH...
DJ Herschel 9:21 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

Yes I know that, but you you just had a dongle to access the software, you'd still use the CDJ audio output as the audio signal was still coming from the software via the USB cable.
DJ Remix Detroit 2:35 AM - 26 July, 2014
Keep it simple stupid.... Buy the hardware, play the music. It doesnt need to be anymore complicated than that.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:26 AM - 26 July, 2014
I would say if you wanna get away from hooking up a RANE box just go buy the Numark controller shaped like an iPad. My buddie has one and he loves the thing. You can check mixes, set cue points basically everything but really scratch a track.

Sure it's not exactly what you want but you could sit on a plane and mix away, or sit on a bus or the back sit of a car ( I've done that with Numark DJ2GO on a rode trip to Virginia Beach). The footprint is small an it is functional.
DJ Herschel 9:31 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Keep it simple stupid.... Buy the hardware, play the music. It doesnt need to be anymore complicated than that.

Hey fool, I already have an SX, but in most venues there isn't space in the DJ box, hence my question.

How is making a dongle complicating things?
You have a dongle that activates the software & 2 USB cables to connect to the CDJ's. What's difficult about that?
Davideon 9:50 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

LOL, try doing a mix without a controller, Certified Mixer, or SL box. SMH...

Smh. Doesn't understand the point of the ops question. Lol
Laz219 12:16 PM - 26 July, 2014
Considering the fact Serato originally were making software to minimise carrying equipment to a gig, it always seems funny to me when people are taking controllers to clubs that have a CD/TT/Mixer setup.
A dongle has been suggested many a time, especially with CDJs that could then route the audio. I'd expect the real reason is that it'd be much easier to be pirated if all the software required was an 'unlock dongle' if all it was doing was making the computer think the software was 'activated'
DJ Remix Detroit 4:04 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hey fool, I already have an SX, but in most venues there isn't space in the DJ box, hence my question.

How is making a dongle complicating things?
You have a dongle that activates the software & 2 USB cables to connect to the CDJ's. What's difficult about that?

I'm the fool? Lmao.... Ok if you say so.

Obviously you didnt get the memo, theyve created a dongle, its called an SL1 SL2 SL3 and SL4.
DJ Herschel 5:58 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:

Obviously you didnt get the memo, theyve created a dongle, its called an SL1 SL2 SL3 and SL4.

Yes I know about the SL boxes, if you read my question I mentioned it.
I meant a dongle that's small like flash drive so that it's compact & you won't need all the RCA's also.
Logisticalstyles 6:35 PM - 26 July, 2014
So how would the music get from the laptop to the mixer?
DJ Remix Detroit 6:47 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I know about the SL boxes, if you read my question I mentioned it.
I meant a dongle that's small like flash drive so that it's compact & you won't need all the RCA's also.

So pretty much you want an 1/8" out setup like virtual dj.

Just get virtual dj then.
DJ Remix Detroit 6:48 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:

The way im understanding it, he just wants to use serato like VDJ, 1/8 straight out to the speakers.
DJ Herschel 6:52 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:

The audio would come from the CDJ as per normal. The audio feed would get to the CDJ from the laptop via a USB cable
DJ Remix Detroit 6:59 PM - 26 July, 2014
So kinda like how the v7s are setup. But use a usb thumb drive as the activator.

Im sure it would have been plausible if the soundcard was built into the cdjs, but then if they did set up cdj's like the v7s, then you still wouldnt need a dongle because the built in soundcard would activate the software.
DJ DisGrace 7:16 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The audio would come from the CDJ as per normal. The audio feed would get to the CDJ from the laptop via a USB cable

This isn't that much a stretch, as long as Pioneer comes out with a Serato approved CDJ.
Mr. Goodkat 8:21 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The way im understanding it, he just wants to use serato like VDJ, 1/8 straight out to the speakers.

its also like that in traktor.

what he's basically saying is that he wants a full off line player. which really should be implemented IMO.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:15 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

its also like that in traktor.

what he's basically saying is that he wants a full off line player. which really should be implemented IMO.

Im pretty sure he wants a cdj setup similar to how the V7's are setup:

Laptop usb out to cdj, with the cdj actually containing the sound card/unlocking feature. And the cdj directly out to the sound system via rca.

But like i said above, if the cdj unit comtains the actual sound card, then theres no need for a dongle.

And even if they were to implement a dongle now, you still have the problem of not having a sound card.

Like DisGrace said, thats something serato and pioneer will have to team up and do.

But in all reality, its only an extra minute or so to hook up rcas to an SL box.
DJ Remix Detroit 9:17 PM - 26 July, 2014
^ i meant to say cdj out to the mixer. Then mixer to sound system
DJ Remix Detroit 9:28 PM - 26 July, 2014
if pioneer were to impliment serato friendly soundcards into their units, i wonder how that would effect the usage of the Rane Sixty-series mixers.

one of the things that made me abandon the v7's was the decision to do video.

when using itch and running alongside the v7's, the ttm-57 would not function as a midi mixer with itch to control video.

i never understood why they didn't allow the 57 to work as a midi mixer with the v7's to control video functions.

but i wonder if there would be a problem with Sixty-Mixer functionality if a Pioneer CDJ sound card were introduced into the mix.
Taipanic 2:55 PM - 28 July, 2014
As stated before I don't believe a smaller dongle will work. I am not sure if the internal hardware of the CDJs (and many other devices) can support all of the in/out data and Digital/Analog conversion required to get the time code signals and audio signals where they need to be . You would also need a minimum of 3 USB ports, which would mean most users will need a hub, which would be more cumbersome than connecting an SL box...
eugguy 3:04 PM - 28 July, 2014
Supposedly, Serato has a bigger dongle than Traktor.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:19 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
As stated before I don't believe a smaller dongle will work. I am not sure if the internal hardware of the CDJs (and many other devices) can support all of the in/out data and Digital/Analog conversion required to get the time code signals and audio signals where they need to be . You would also need a minimum of 3 USB ports, which would mean most users will need a hub, which would be more cumbersome than connecting an SL box...

Why would you need 3 ports? Or time code?
Logisticalstyles 3:21 PM - 28 July, 2014
1 USB port per deck and the USB port for the dongle.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:22 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Correction, you currently need 3 (forgot about the mixer)
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:23 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
1 USB port per deck and the USB port for the dongle.

ya, for some reason I thought the CDJs shared a USB cable so only one went to the computer
DJ Remix Detroit 3:36 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:

just two usb's. 1 for cdm and one for the mixer. the cdj's can connect to each other via ethernet cable.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:52 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

just two usb's. 1 for cdm and one for the mixer. the cdj's can connect to each other via ethernet cable.

ok, thats what I thought