DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Will the laptop ever go away.

Will08272 5:28 AM - 24 July, 2014
With the numark NV and the nice screens in the cdj 2000s & 900s. If someone were to make a mixer and integrate screens and a usb port on the mixer usb drives/externals, onboard DVS software or onboard SDJ for turntable users. Would the laptop be used less. I a quick hack up photoshop of a updated 62 with two iphone 5 sized screens (measured 2 cutouts to make sure they would fit) that would run a embedded Version of SDJ. Mobile processors are getting alot stronger and smaller. And screens are cost effective right now, would something like what i put together, or even a DDJ SZ with possibly CDJ 900 or 2000 screens and a usb port for drives with music, do away with the laptop ?

i1280.photobucket.com
 6 5:32 AM - 24 July, 2014
I'm quite positive the laptop will go away. If you notice, most software is heading that way already.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 4:38 PM - 24 July, 2014
laptop will become a pad/tablet.
 6 6:12 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
laptop will become a pad/tablet.

Basically

nm
Will08272 6:31 PM - 24 July, 2014
Ive been scouting the ebays for a surface pro 2 since its as powerfull as the base 2012 macbook pro. its the best option so far as tablets go for this case.
d:raf 8:31 PM - 24 July, 2014
<---- Eagerly awaiting the day that laptop dj's complain about laptopless dj's being "lazy".
deezlee 3:35 AM - 25 July, 2014
Someday each control vinyl will have a song (or an album's worth of songs) embeded directly into the surface of the vinyl. The needle on the turntable/controller will convert the info to audio for playback, no laptop needed.
The dj will simply bring a crate of control vinyls to the gig and switch them out for each song.
AKIEM 4:56 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Someday each control vinyl will have a song (or an album's worth of songs) embeded directly into the surface of the vinyl. The needle on the turntable/controller will convert the info to audio for playback, no laptop needed.
The dj will simply bring a crate of control vinyls to the gig and switch them out for each song.

that will be amazing!

cant wait to ditch this damn laptop
VDJ ASTRO 7:34 AM - 25 July, 2014
if you really want to dj without a laptop get you a few usb sticks, load each one with a crate of your choice,get a pair of cdjs like the 900s pioneer, sort your library with rekordbox, and have fun mixing live with no laptop.
Niro 9:55 AM - 25 July, 2014
How do you do it on turntables thou. Also I already 9 control records, would this be enough to ditch my laptop?
Will08272 11:10 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
How do you do it on turntables thou. Also I already 9 control records, would this be enough to ditch my laptop?

The solution for turntables would be a mixer like what i photoshopped in my original post.
i made a mock up 62 with two iphone 5 sized screens and a usb port. The mixer would have a mobile intel processor or arm processor that are getting plenty powerfull and inexpensive. Microsoft is working on an embedded version of full windows for all kinds of different types of hardware and its going to be free to license so the software can be made for it or serato can make an embedded version of SDJ. The mixer would have a usb port and for external or flash drives and if the software ends up being SDJ you would use the serato database folder your already using or your itunes library since the os on the mixer is going to be windows and your good to go. The turntables get used with the dvs software on the mixer and no laptop is needed. Heres the picture again just cause.

i1280.photobucket.com
SELECT 1:28 PM - 25 July, 2014
When they turntables start to look like this-
djworx.com
DJ DisGrace 3:07 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The solution for turntables would be a mixer like what i photoshopped in my original post.
i made a mock up 62 with two iphone 5 sized screens and a usb port. The mixer would have a mobile intel processor or arm processor that are getting plenty powerfull and inexpensive. Microsoft is working on an embedded version of full windows for all kinds of different types of hardware and its going to be free to license so the software can be made for it or serato can make an embedded version of SDJ. The mixer would have a usb port and for external or flash drives and if the software ends up being SDJ you would use the serato database folder your already using or your itunes library since the os on the mixer is going to be windows and your good to go. The turntables get used with the dvs software on the mixer and no laptop is needed. Heres the picture again just cause.

i1280.photobucket.com

Sarcasm detector malfunction
DJ Quartz 3:16 PM - 25 July, 2014
The amount of optimization not to mention hardware advancements no.

The one benefit of the laptop is you can change the laptop if you need more power/storage.

You start embedding hardware and you will be buying mixers left, right and center.
phonze 3:29 PM - 25 July, 2014
Yeah, price of mixers would also go up dramatically i'd imagine. Cool idea though, and wouldn't be surprised if it's tried at some point. But I think the most likely thing to happen is the Ipad/touch screen thing. I'm actually surprised it hasn't really taken off yet.
Will08272 3:48 PM - 25 July, 2014
Windows tablets aren't selling enough for software makers to make touch optimized versions of the software, and ipads don't have enough storage atleast for professional use. The cost wouldn't go up by much. Intel's current strongest mobile processor cost about $38 bucks, windows embedded will be free to license and will be a full x86 version of windows. SDJ, Traktor, Virtual DJ ect already run on windows and intel processors. Iphone 5 screens cost about $60 and since the screens don't have to be touch screens they will be alot cheaper. The software can handel the effects so the mixer wouldn't need to have on board effects. Some usb ports for midi controllers. And if more storage is needed get a bigger external drive, or the on board storage can be offered. That way an ipad isn't even needed.
Will08272 4:15 PM - 25 July, 2014
With the recent upgrade to rekordbox it's looks like eventually they are going to make their own dvs. Since cdjs have the big screens so no need for a laptop, future owners of the PLX 1000 unless they go vinyl only don't have that option. The software being on the mixer rids that issue and pioneer can keep everything in house aside from the cpu components. USB ports will serve for storage and to connect an SP1.
AKIEM 4:20 PM - 25 July, 2014
I would consider a cdj with a DVS port, and multiple outputs, no screen required.
Will08272 5:55 PM - 25 July, 2014
Before continuing discussion here if it does, is the laptop actually a problem amongst djs. I currently use the library view and have it off to the side. I feel though in that case the laptop is sort of a waste and just a big screen to see your library and also take your focus away from the decks. Anyway is the laptop a problem.
Mr. Goodkat 5:58 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Windows tablets aren't selling enough for software makers to make touch optimized versions of the software, and ipads don't have enough storage atleast for professional use. The cost wouldn't go up by much. Intel's current strongest mobile processor cost about $38 bucks, windows embedded will be free to license and will be a full x86 version of windows. SDJ, Traktor, Virtual DJ ect already run on windows and intel processors. Iphone 5 screens cost about $60 and since the screens don't have to be touch screens they will be alot cheaper. The software can handel the effects so the mixer wouldn't need to have on board effects. Some usb ports for midi controllers. And if more storage is needed get a bigger external drive, or the on board storage can be offered. That way an ipad isn't even needed.

windows and ipads will make upgrades over the next few years. you realize that technology is a thing right?
Taipanic 5:58 PM - 25 July, 2014
Denon already has a non computer based system with display called Engine. You can connect an IPad via wireless networking to the 3900:

The SC3900 also comes complete with the brand new ‘Engine’ music management software that has been designed with players such as the SC3900 in mind, allowing the ultimate in DJ set preparation, playback and control.

Prepare the perfect set in the studio or on a computer at home, then export it to a USB stick or Hard Disk Drive and have everything needed for your DJ performance in a device small enough to fit in your pocket. Then, when it’s time to perform simply plug in and play, and even share the USB drive’s files with up to three other compatible players over a network.

Once your networked players are sharing the music from one USB device, it’s easy to manage you set via an iPad with the new Engine iPad app (requires downloading from the App Store). Engine for iPad seamlessly monitors your set wirelessly through a network – all via its large full-color touchscreen. And there is no need to worry about computer or connection problems; should the iPad become disconnected, your music is still securely connected to the player via USB, leaving playback, and your audience’s attention, uninterrupted.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Just a matter of time before all the networking hardware is built into the DJ devices so no routers & wiring would need to be hooked up.
Will08272 6:26 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

windows and ipads will make upgrades over the next few years. you realize that technology is a thing right?

Thanks for trying to shit on my suggestion, first windows is an os, Apple has no intention or incentive on adding a usb port to the ipad. You can use the lightning to usb adapter to sort of have a usb port, but only class compliant devices work in that manner and off the top of my head only the Z2 works as a compatible mixer for ios. 128gb ipads were just introduced last year, additional storage is pretty much non existent for ipads. Almost all windows 8 tablets are capped at 128gb the sd card slots are there but even then they go to 128/256gb. And upgrades along won't help increase sales on windows 8 tablets.
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Before continuing discussion here if it does, is the laptop actually a problem amongst djs. I currently use the library view and have it off to the side. I feel though in that case the laptop is sort of a waste and just a big screen to see your library and also take your focus away from the decks. Anyway is the laptop a problem.

Seratoface is a problem.
Will08272 6:50 PM - 25 July, 2014

Seratoface is a problem.

One of the reason i think of when it comes to the discussion of getting rid of the laptop. With the heavy cdj users that isn't a problem, the poses and prerecorded sets is a whole seperate topic.

@taipanic im aware of the 3900 and engine software, currently own one and have used the app. Its a nice solution for that specific player and overall good idea, all that needs to be done is add either built in wifi or bluetooth as you stated. My suggestion for the mixer having the screens and cpu one the mixer is geared more dj's who use turntables and don't want the laptop. CDJ already have those nice big screens so no laptop necessary, but for turntable users there are no screens. So unless your doing all vinyl which is the minority, the laptop is pretty much the only choice. The numark nv is a cool concept, and if even in the slightest it catches on surely pioneer will release a DDJ with screens, then the next eventual step will be an all in one CDJ/DJM that will run rekordbox, and others with onboard software. My idea is just combining the laptop and the mixer for turntable users. And non turntable users will have all in ones or CD/USB Decks.
Will08272 6:50 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote fail
Mr. Goodkat 8:18 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

Thanks for trying to shit on my suggestion, first windows is an os, Apple has no intention or incentive on adding a usb port to the ipad. You can use the lightning to usb adapter to sort of have a usb port, but only class compliant devices work in that manner and off the top of my head only the Z2 works as a compatible mixer for ios. 128gb ipads were just introduced last year, additional storage is pretty much non existent for ipads. Almost all windows 8 tablets are capped at 128gb the sd card slots are there but even then they go to 128/256gb. And upgrades along won't help increase sales on windows 8 tablets.

if i was gonna shit on something it would be your grammar, not your ideas. im saying that all those specs will change over the next few years as well as the software(technology?). Therefore all the specs you quote and the programs you are talking about will change, then tablets and ipads, MOST LIKELY, will be able to run dj software and have storage. In 5 years we may not even need on board storage, as we've seen the rise of cloud storage.

*DO I MEAN ALL LAPTOPS, DVS SYSTEMS OR CD PLAYERS, TTS, OR CONTROLLERS WILL NOT WORK OR BE UNUSABLE??? NO, I DO NOT.

*the caps were used to only highlight and not yell at anyone.

nm
DJ Quartz 9:42 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Almost all windows 8 tablets are capped at 128gb the sd card slots are there but even then they go to 128/256gb. And upgrades along won't help increase sales on windows 8 tablets.

No, Surface Pro 2 comes in 512gb, but the price is killer.
DJ Quartz 9:42 PM - 25 July, 2014
Seratoface??

Don't put the laptop in front of you. Problem solved.
DJ Quartz 9:44 PM - 25 July, 2014
Engine is interesting but just appears to be a more complicated setup than the current SSL/SDJ setup.
AKIEM 9:52 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Seratoface??

Don't put the laptop in front of you. Problem solved.

Never have.

Still have to stare at the screen to select a track.
Will08272 9:57 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

if i was gonna shit on something it would be your grammar, not your ideas. im saying that all those specs will change over the next few years as well as the software(technology?). Therefore all the specs you quote and the programs you are talking about will change, then tablets and ipads, MOST LIKELY, will be able to run dj software and have storage. In 5 years we may not even need on board storage, as we've seen the rise of cloud storage.

*DO I MEAN ALL LAPTOPS, DVS SYSTEMS OR CD PLAYERS, TTS, OR CONTROLLERS WILL NOT WORK OR BE UNUSABLE??? NO, I DO NOT.

*the caps were used to only highlight and not yell at anyone.

nm

i apologize for accusing you of shitting on my point, not the best of days buts thats no excuse for that. To get back to the discussion. ill take blame for the course of the conversation by not stating that the idea of the screens and pc on the mixer were more for turntable djs. With pioneer releasing the PLX and the recent upgrade to rekordbox, a logical step for them would be to turn rekordbox into its own DVS. Sure they have the relationship they do with serato now, but i doubt that they are going to invest in the software for it to be nothing more then a music management tool.
Mr. Goodkat 11:09 PM - 25 July, 2014
i like laptops because:

the keyboard is a midi controller(worse case scenarios happen)
the screen is larger
its still fairly small, speaking on 13'' computers
i dont mind staring at wav forms from time to time to save my ears
in a pinch i can use traktor out of my 1/8th inch plug, because of course serato would never have off line player that wasn't completely off line.
it has a history of being as reliable as any other format, and sometimes more reliable over stuff like record/cd scratch skips, bad tts or cdjs with sticky buttons.
Will08272 11:13 PM - 25 July, 2014
I didnt want to make another thread but, were djs asking for a dvs before they became a thing, cds and cdjs i can understand becoming sort of a self created market or thing, but was there some kind of problem that existed that dvs fixed or was it just a logical thing that came to exist cause of tech.
Mr. Goodkat 6:14 PM - 26 July, 2014
Will08272 6:56 PM - 26 July, 2014
Ive known about the XDJ R1 for a while never bothered to look up exactly how it works. This idea of mine really only applies to turntable users how would like to carry the big library and no laptop. If its done via the ipad the mixer would need to have a usb port for your music to take away the ipad storage issue, either direct connection with the ipad or done via wifi. And the mixer needs to have the usb ports for midi devices. But thats why i asked is the laptop a problem amongst turntable djs.
Mr. Goodkat 7:56 PM - 26 July, 2014
your looking at 2-3 year old technology that is being improved on currently. i would guess that its only a matter of time and cost before all that is implemented within the current crop of pads/tablets.
Will08272 8:07 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
your looking at 2-3 year old technology that is being improved on currently. i would guess that its only a matter of time and cost before all that is implemented within the current crop of pads/tablets.

Im sort of confused at what your considering 2-3 yeah old technology. I havent really mentioned anything thats old tech. I got confused also by your previous post which i quoted and gave that dickhead response.
Mr. Goodkat 8:18 PM - 26 July, 2014
well, i mean. that of course if you buy an apple ipad right now in store, outside of the OS, that of course is updateable, the hardware shell is most likely 1-2-3 yrs old design wise. therefore the concerns and limitations of the previous models are most likely to be updated right now for the future models. USB and other protocols may switch in the next few years so that you even need cords or cabling much like the wireless xdj-r1.

so in essence, im not saying you are wrong right now, at this very moment, but in 1-2 years the laptop/dvs/pad/tablet game may have completely or partially changed. I'm not technologically proficient enough to really be articulate about the subject, but i'm sure others will chime in.
Mr. Goodkat 8:20 PM - 26 July, 2014
well, i mean that, of course if you buy an Apple ipad right now in store, outside of the OS, which is of course is updateable, the hardware shell is most likely 2-3 yrs old design wise. Therefore the concerns and limitations of the previous models are most likely to be updated right now for the future models. USB and other protocols may switch in the next few years so that you won't even need cords or cabling much like the wireless xdj-r1.
Will08272 9:14 PM - 26 July, 2014
Oh in that regard i understand, im sort of tech obsessive to a degree cant explain hardcore things as far as how they work but now enough and read like crazy. Which is what lead to that idea of the mixer and things being integrated. All of the things have been based on though the following of the trends and having had several interations of the ipad and iphone and keeping up with whats happening in the future in regards to memory and pc components and tech in general. Sometimes having your head filled with all that stuff makes you a little crazy.