DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Finally going Active, now what...........?

DJ Eighty 8 12:49 PM - 20 July, 2014
I think I've narrowed it down to the two system that I may buy. I've read just about everything there is to read and have been to all my local Music Stores/Centers here in Philly and now it's time to make a decision. I was just gonna go with some JBL VRX's because I've always wanted them and considered them the "Cream Of The Crop". I see that there are other options to these and I just wanted to go with something different. Here are the two sets that I've narrowed it down to but the "Newness" of one scares me because they are not "Proven" yet.

Combo #1: (2) QSC KW181 - (2) QSC KLA12
Combo #2: (2) EV ETX-18SP - (2) EV ETX-35P

Let the "Games" begin.........?
Joee 2:12 PM - 20 July, 2014
www.jblpro.com
i would still go with the jbl vrx (subs) i like the sound of it better than both the qsc & new ev subs, you can find them for $1,550 shipped

www.rcf.it
for tops i would look into the rcf hd32-a, you can find them for $900

www.electrovoice.com
or the ev zxa5 ,they will run you $1,350

now everything that your considering is nice too, there really is no wrong choice here just a matter if what you want, what is your overall total budget for this system?
REDSELECTER 5:20 PM - 20 July, 2014
why are you doing line arrays for the top?
DJ Eighty 8 6:22 PM - 20 July, 2014
No budget at all, if it suits my needs then the cost must be paid. I didn't care for the RCF too much and the QSC/JBL line array system you can build upon. Like P. Diddy said/showed, 4 top on 4 stands just doesn't look good at all..... This is the best place to get the advice that I need because most of us do the same things and some have already moved in the direction that I'm trying to go.
DJ GaFFle 6:24 PM - 20 July, 2014
I'd keep it brand uniform and go EV Etx 35p for the best in sound quality. You'll have ease of use and transport though with other solutions because those etx35p'a are hefty at around 80lbs.

There's not a single affordable 2-way powered top, that any of these guys will mention, that'll sound better or louder than those 3-ways.
DJ GaFFle 6:33 PM - 20 July, 2014
Quote:
No budget at all, if it suits my needs then the cost must be paid. I didn't care for the RCF too much and the QSC/JBL line array system you can build upon...

If you're doing a lot of indoor venues, that array's wide projection won't be ideal depending on how wide the room is. The cool-look factor of arrays can sell themselves and have someone thinking you're more of a pro outfit than the normal Joe dj.
DJ Eighty 8 6:37 PM - 20 July, 2014
Yes, after extensive reading/research it basically comes down to these 2 systems for me. The JBL VRX systems gets mixed reviews depending on who you ask and the though the QSC is tried and tested they're showing their age. Uniformity is a MUST and eventually I'm gonna double the QSC setup: 4 Line Arrays and 4Subs. Once I get that EV system there's no adding on except for the subs but then again it's an ideal set-up for basically anything.....?
DJ Eighty 8 6:43 PM - 20 July, 2014
GaFFle you gotta admit them Line Arrays aesthetically are like nothing else.....LOL
Joee 7:07 PM - 20 July, 2014
if line array is a must for you i would definitely do the vrx, if it's not the 3 way etx with sub might be for you

but depending what your looking to achieve they are a number of options for for, like gaffle favorite sub the th118
www.danleysoundlabs.com
DJ Eighty 8 7:25 PM - 20 July, 2014
I've ruled out the JBL VRX's, I'm not a fan of Crown Amplifiers at all and I want to move in a different direction other than JBL....
Joee 7:32 PM - 20 July, 2014
like i said there are other option, check out this one danley speaker playing in a open air environment 200 yards away
Watchwww.youtube.com

if money is no object for you ,you might want to look into danley it will easily crush ev/jbl/qsc
DJ Eighty 8 1:11 AM - 21 July, 2014
I get P. Diddy to weigh in on this situation......?
Joee 3:11 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:

pdiddy uses vrx tops and sub's

which you already said you DON'T want……….
pdidy 5:51 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

pdiddy uses vrx tops and sub's

which you already said you DON'T want……….

lol
Taipanic 6:12 PM - 21 July, 2014
As Gaffle had said, the 3 ways will sound better than the other options so if sound quality is what you are after I would go with those. As for all the VRX talk, Line Arrayed systems are not ideal for most DJ applications. There is a lot of extra work to properly use a Line Array requires modeling and calculations for each event & venue to get optimal sound. Also, you will not get a true line array effect unless you are running 5 or more cabinets per side. I agree it is a good look but in most cases you will get better sound from a traditional point and shoot box setup.
DJ DisGrace 6:15 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
As Gaffle had said, the 3 ways will sound better than the other options so if sound quality is what you are after I would go with those. As for all the VRX talk, Line Arrayed systems are not ideal for most DJ applications. There is a lot of extra work to properly use a Line Array requires modeling and calculations for each event & venue to get optimal sound. Also, you will not get a true line array effect unless you are running 5 or more cabinets per side. I agree it is a good look but in most cases you will get better sound from a traditional point and shoot box setup.

That's the beauty of the VRX, it's a point and shoot line array.
DJ Nightmare Productions 8:59 PM - 21 July, 2014
Line Array's aren't ideal for any normal DJ situations.. lol Unless you are DJing for ove 5000 people and you plan on Flying them 8 plus a side..
DJ Eighty 8 9:51 PM - 21 July, 2014
I've gotta make more popcorn.........

Everything that I've read and researched so far says what ^ said. The look is second to none but I'm a Mobile DJ who needs a more versatile set-up. The EV set-up in theory sounds like the best option but I've never dealt with EV before and I have my reservations? I know QSC amps have never let me down but almost everything that I've read says those KW Series Speakers struggle when pushed......?
Joee 11:07 PM - 21 July, 2014
forget about the popcorn and get the ev 3 way/sub, there quality boxes

two 18" subs & two 3 ways will be a killer setup
rayjthedj 12:08 AM - 22 July, 2014
I spent over an hour listening to a pair of ETX35P's setting on top of a pair of ETX18SP's. They were spread 8' not the best for the subs or the tops, but the sound and the power was amazing.

It was hooked up to the large band mixer board at Sam Ash in Nashville, they had a couple bands coming in to play and film later that day. I used my i-phone and played a large variety of music.

I put on Marvin Gaye, Sexual healing and cranked it till I was hitting -2 to-3db on the input indicators on the ETX boxes, they were set up for this sub top combo, all flat no gains. At 15 to 20 feet away the air was pounding my chest. My daughter said Dad this is hitting my chest like a carnival ride.

They are more than I need for my biggest venue, but they were nice.
DJ DisGrace 1:37 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Line Array's aren't ideal for any normal DJ situations.. lol Unless you are DJing for ove 5000 people and you plan on Flying them 8 plus a side..

Theoretically, sure... If we want to get real technical, the VRX aren't even a "real" line array. They have a predetermined curve angle, and you can only fly 4 per side. However, they sound great, look great, and have pretty reasonable line-array-like coverage without the hassle of a real line array.

I would argue that having a 115 horizontal dispersion angle is an advantage in mobile dj situations. You get even wide coverage that can't be obtained with conventional boxes.

Quote:
I agree it is a good look but in most cases you will get better sound from a traditional point and shoot box setup.

Have you ever heard a VRX array with proper amplification?
DJ DisGrace 1:38 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Unless you are DJing for ove 5000 people and you plan on Flying

JBL specs recommend 4 VRX per side to cover 1000 people. Yes, you need to fly more than 2 boxes per side...
www.jblpro.com
Rebelguy 1:44 AM - 22 July, 2014
Is a single EV 18inch sub going to give you the height to elevate the tops or are you pole mounting an 80 lb. speaker?
Joee 1:51 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Is a single EV 18inch sub going to give you the height to elevate the tops or are you pole mounting an 80 lb. speaker?

good question, i think the answer is no
DJ Eighty 8 8:48 AM - 22 July, 2014
I would pole mount the ETX-35P.......Joee I think I'm gonna go with the EV set-up.
Taipanic 6:18 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Theoretically, sure... If we want to get real technical, the VRX aren't even a "real" line array. They have a predetermined curve angle, and you can only fly 4 per side. However, they sound great, look great, and have pretty reasonable line-array-like coverage without the hassle of a real line array.

I would argue that having a 115 horizontal dispersion angle is an advantage in mobile dj situations. You get even wide coverage that can't be obtained with conventional boxes.

Quote:
I agree it is a good look but in most cases you will get better sound from a traditional point and shoot box setup.

Have you ever heard a VRX array with proper amplification?

I have, and never said that they do not sound good. I still stand by my comments. For the same $20+k, I would probably get an all Danley or Danley/EV system and I think it would be more versatile for traditional DJ gigs - not Festivals or 300 foot deep rooms. It would also sound better and get louder. If I need an array (and I have) I will just rent one for the gig.
pdidy 9:30 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
I still stand by my comments. For the same $20+k, I would probably get an all Danley or Danley/EV system and I think it would be more versatile for traditional DJ gigs - not Festivals or 300 foot deep rooms. It would also sound better and get louder. If I need an array (and I have) I will just rent one for the gig.

You are 100% correct if this were ONLY about what YOU would do.....lol
DJ DisGrace 11:01 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
I still stand by my comments.

Your comments:

Quote:
There is a lot of extra work to properly use a Line Array

Quote:
a Line Array requires modeling and calculations for each event & venue to get optimal sound

Quote:
Also, you will not get a true line array effect unless you are running 5 or more cabinets per side

None of these are true if you read the VRX user guide.

Quote:
in most cases you will get better sound from a traditional point and shoot box setup.

In "most cases" if most of the time people are using high end two or three-way systems.
pdidy 11:17 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I still stand by my comments. For the same $20+k, I would probably get an all Danley or Danley/EV system and I think it would be more versatile for traditional DJ gigs - not Festivals or 300 foot deep rooms. It would also sound better and get louder. If I need an array (and I have) I will just rent one for the gig.

So lets have some fun with this and put your theory to a real world test which takes into account the benefits and or characteristic of the vrx system.

With a budget of 20k or less, build a better Danley system which is more versatile, has better sound quality and gets louder while including these requirements available in the vrx system.
1. Powered/active
2. Scalable from 100-500 people
3. Weight limit 90lb sub, 55lb top
4. Ease of use - Plug-n Play, internal processing, limiting and protection, No additional trusting or fly-ware required, Noob approved....lol
5. Future proof - the systems coverage can be easily expanded upon by adding same parts.
(while generally not a priority for most mobile dj's, thru years of experience it has now become an important feature to me.)

Annnnd Go......

specs...
www.jblpro.com
www.jblpro.com
pdidy 11:21 PM - 22 July, 2014
@ DJ DisGrace, seems you've been doing your homework...lol
DJ DisGrace 11:44 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:

Haha, I do homework as a break from homework.... I've also had the benefit of using and hearing a lot of VRX for both live and DJ applications.

You make a good point about weight, also. Nothing much compares when it comes to comparable sound quality.
pdidy 12:04 AM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Haha, I do homework as a break from homework.... I've also had the benefit of using and hearing a lot of VRX for both live and DJ applications.

You make a good point about weight, also. Nothing much compares when it comes to comparable sound quality.

weight is a BIG deal and a priority for me now that I want the ability to be a 1 man show regardless of how big my system is. The sound quality to weight ratio at this price point is hard to match.
Taipanic 7:12 PM - 23 July, 2014
LOL, I'm at work and can't do all that today, nor really looking for a feud.

* I'm not putting down the VRX line, I actually like them and would use them in the right situation.
* I also agree that sound for size/weight is pretty much unbeatable.
* I also concede there is no calculation software for the VRX series as there is for the Vertec and other true line array systems.

A full on Danley setup is not what most DJs would use either. We are talking extreme systems at extreme prices (for DJs). A ZXa5/LS801p combo is probably more in line for most Higher end DJ systems.

If an array type system fills your needs, great. For a lot of the events pdidy does it seems to be a good fit. Doing small-medium wedding halls and pubs, maybe not. I don't think the Array type setup is the absolute pinnacle that everyone should be working towards having.
DJ GaFFle 11:40 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
... For a lot of the events pdidy does it seems to be a good fit. Doing small-medium wedding halls and pubs, maybe not. I don't think the Array type setup is the absolute pinnacle that everyone should be working towards having.

Most of the pics I've seen of his setup have been outside. With +100 degree coverage, that's ideal for outdoors.
pdidy 1:30 AM - 24 July, 2014
@ Taipanic, naa not a feud, more like fun debate. You might come up with something I didn't know or think of.
Rebelguy 2:17 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So lets have some fun with this and put your theory to a real world test which takes into account the benefits and or characteristic of the vrx system.

With a budget of 20k or less, build a better Danley system which is more versatile, has better sound quality and gets louder while including these requirements available in the vrx system.
1. Powered/active
4. Ease of use - Plug-n Play, internal processing, limiting and protection, No additional trusting or fly-ware required, Noob approved....lol
5. Future proof - the systems coverage can be easily expanded upon by adding same parts.
(while generally not a priority for most mobile dj's, thru years of experience it has now become an important feature to me.)

Annnnd Go......

specs...
www.jblpro.com
www.jblpro.com

Can we throw the RCF HDL-20As in the battle. They are a little bit over the weight limit but they have been getting pretty good reviews on the pro sound forums.
pdidy 2:21 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
A ZXa5/LS801p combo is probably more in line for most Higher end DJ systems.

If you recall this was my goto setup for big gigs for many years and I did alota bitchin,winning ,crying , denial and more cryin before I accepted the fact that there were alot of good reasons to upgrade from that setup. Now I have room to grow and never "need" roadies again if i choose.
pdidy 2:31 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Powered/active

Annnnd Go......

specs...
www.jblpro.com
www.jblpro.com

Can we throw the RCF HDL-20As in the battle. They are a little bit over the weight limit but they have been getting pretty good reviews on the pro sound forums.

A comparable rcf system with the RCF HDL-20As will beat the jbl vrx system but it will never make the price cap/limit, weight limit or ease of use because its not pole mountable.
dj_soo 3:03 AM - 24 July, 2014
I'm curious how the yorkville paraline series would stack up. Granted, they don't come in under the weight limit for the subs tho (120 for the dual 12s and 155 for the dual 15s), but they are a similar prosumer style line array system.

yorkville.com
Rebelguy 3:41 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Powered/active

Annnnd Go......

specs...
www.jblpro.com
www.jblpro.com

A comparable rcf system with the RCF HDL-20As will beat the jbl vrx system but it will never make the price cap/limit, weight limit or ease of use because its not pole mountable.

The RCF HDL-20As are pole mountable. You can do 2 per side.

The tops are 7 pounds heavier per cabinet which isn't that bad. The subs weight is dependent on what unit you use.

As far as pricing, you could put together a 4 top 4 sub system for under 20k. This would give you a better sounding system which is actually more expandable as the Vrx system can only do 5 cabinets per side max while the RCF can do 16.
pdidy 5:29 AM - 24 July, 2014
I should have been more specific, while it is pole mountable it requires additional hardware (See # 4) appox. $699 ea. www.gtaust.com.

RCF HDL-20A - $3100 + RCF HDL 18-AS - $3500 + flyware $1400= $27800 (advertised price, not street)
Even if we were to ignore price it still would not meet the list of requirements but there's no debate its a better system, one being it a true line array.

BTW, that was not the actual challenge.....lol
pdidy 7:27 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm curious how the yorkville paraline series would stack up. Granted, they don't come in under the weight limit for the subs tho (120 for the dual 12s and 155 for the dual 15s), but they are a similar prosumer style line array system.

yorkville.com

I did consider the paraline tops and they sound good but their only benefit were that they were cheaper. The qsc kla was cheaper also and sounds good also but neither could compare to the JBL's looks and brand recognition. Now while that may "sound " petty it is a big deal when marketing / advertising your services. You can profit off of their pettiness....lol
Mackie also had a contestant but they are excluded by default because they are Mackie.
Logisticalstyles 5:59 PM - 25 July, 2014
Just curious, but which Mackie sub was it?
pdidy 1:17 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Just curious, but which Mackie sub was it?

not the subs, the array tops Watchwww.youtube.com
dj_soo 1:31 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

yorkville.com

I did consider the paraline tops and they sound good but their only benefit were that they were cheaper. The qsc kla was cheaper also and sounds good also but neither could compare to the JBL's looks and brand recognition. Now while that may "sound " petty it is a big deal when marketing / advertising your services. You can profit off of their pettiness....lol
Mackie also had a contestant but they are excluded by default because they are Mackie.

I find that most of my clients wouldn't know the difference brand-wise between behringers and JBLs.

Sure they may compliment me on the sound after the fact, but I've never gotten or lost a gig due to the brand of my rig...

Then again, I mainly do small events (sub-300) for my mobiles.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:42 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
I find that most of my clients wouldn't know the difference brand-wise between behringers and JBLs.

Sure they may compliment me on the sound after the fact, but I've never gotten or lost a gig due to the brand of my rig...

And there you have it. This is mostly all about pride.
pdidy 6:25 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yorkville.com

We have a different type of clientele, a lot of my clients are dj's and experienced event promoters who hire me to provide sound systems and do know the difference between behringers, yorkville 801p and JBL vrx systems. And for my clients that don't know the difference I will educate aka "upsell" them without getting overly technical so that they know they're receiving a higher premium of service.
DJ Eighty 8 12:56 PM - 27 July, 2014
I finally got a chance to hear the EV ETX line at Sam Ash in Cherry Hill New Jersey. I walked in and they had the set-up that I intend on buying sitting right like it was waiting just for me. It was only (1) ETX-35P and (1) ETX-18SP and from what I seen it had no special tuning done. I looked at the back and quickly went though the menus because after watching countless tutorials I basically knew what to do and everything was at the default setting. They have huge mixing board with every speaker ran through it, he popped in a CD, click, slide, turn and away we went. It was VERY loud and clean, I've never heard a 3 way in a mobile set-up because most people that I know of go with a traditional 2 way top and and just 1 or 2 subs. I've read about the "chest pounding" bass and thought, yeah okay, not from a sub that small regardless of the woofer size. It seemed unreal to generate THAT much from something that "small", the feeling was like being next to a block party or night club speaker cabinet? I still want to hear them with the top away from the subs but this shit was hittin' hard and I can't imagine what (4) subs and the (2) tops would sound/be like.....?
DJ Reflex 2:28 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
And for my clients that don't know the difference I will educate aka "upsell" them without getting overly technical so that they know they're receiving a higher premium of service.

There ya go! A little education goes a long way. All these guys on here complaining about the average Joe not knowing or caring what kind of equipment we use... Maybe it's time to not only give them a clue, but also provide the better gear/service. Even with lower priced gear (Harbinger, Behringer, Alto, etc.) we can still pull off a quality show with a noticeable difference over all the Fischer Price DJs out there!
rayjthedj 5:55 PM - 27 July, 2014
Eighty 8,

I was able to play on a pair of (2x ETX18SPs and 2x ETX35Ps)for over an hour in Sam Ash Nashville, I have spent big coin there, so I am kinda treated like a pet cat. Same as you, on a big band size mixing board, using my i-phone.

I will tell you that the ETX35P top has a lot to do with that chest pounding you felt. I have played the same pair of ETX18SPs with the ETX15P tops on poles and it sounded wonderfull but did not give me that carnival ride punch in the gutt as the ETX35P combo did.

I think the three way box picks up more of the mid bass when you select that combo on the menu screen of the DSP, so with a 18" driver, 15" driver, 6.5" driver with horn loading and a 1.25" with horn loading you are moving a tremendous amount of air and you don't have any large drivers trying to produce the higher frequencies that make them less effecient producing the lower frequencies.

I don't play anything often enough, that is big enough, for me to buy the ETX18SPs or the ETX35Ps, but if I was doing a lot of outdoors, school gyms or convention centers, I would buy them.

On recommendation from my friend (audio engineer for Bosch/EV/Dynacord, who does installs and services the Dallas Cowboy Stadium) I bought four ETX15SPs, which have higher output than a pair of ETX18SPs, but are more portable and scaleable. A pair of ETX12Ps, to play with all four ETX15SPs, and a pair of ZLX12Ps, which play well with one or two ETX15SPs.

I have said it before, I have been a fan of quaility passive speakers, quality amps and DSP for almost 40 years, (I have over 30K worth of EV-TourX, CP4000 amps, Q1212 amps and EV-DCONEs) and all but one passive rig is going away, all because of ETX. To me it is setting the standard for mid level active gear, yes there are 3K and up active speakers out there that will crush ETX, but they are not in the mid-level market.

So everyone knows the speakers are built very well. I had a ETX15SP and an ETX12P torn down as far is you can go, including the amp module, in my studio this weekend and these things are put together well. I was most impressed with the cabinet, as it is all plywood, tongue and grove, high quality sealer and great outer coating. The cabinet is built like a battleship and I think that has a lot to do with the SPL and Freq response they get from these boxes. I am sure the amps and DSP have a lot to do with things too, but that looks like all magic to my eyes. The swirl cage style fan moves a lot of air for as quiet as it is.
DJ Eighty 8 6:32 PM - 27 July, 2014
Nice......^ I'm just gonna get the ETX-18SP/35P combo and may add 2 more subs in a few months or so. I want this particular system to last for a bit and be able to perform a multitude of task: Party, Weddings/Formal Events, Backyard BBQ's, Proms, Fashion Shows and so on. I want to be able to go BIG and scale it down if need be and I like the styling, flexibility and portability of this combo. Having too much/overkill is what I like to have rather going somewhere and not having enough. It's my first "Active" system so I still have my reservations but it's no turning back at this point. I may get (2) ETX-12P to have a tad bit more versatility but I'll see what I can/can't do with the initial system......
Joee 6:42 PM - 27 July, 2014
i say if you like the 18"/3 way combo, than get the 15" sub/12" later for your smaller gigs
DJ Eighty 8 6:50 PM - 27 July, 2014
Yep I gave it some thought but I'm defiantly gonna build the BIG one first.....
rayjthedj 6:57 PM - 27 July, 2014
If you really push the system the ETX35P tops will easily keep up with four to six of the subs, you might want to cross them at 100hz rather than the factory setting, if you decide to go that big or that loud.

The ETX12P top will play very well with one or two of the ETX18SP subs. You will be surprised at the output level of the ETX12P tops when crossed at 100hz, they are crazy loud for this size top, but do not get harsh.

The SPL numbers on the ETX series are not calculated, they are measured and they are bi-amped tops, it is not just a 2000 watt amplifier with a crossover. I was told 80% to the woofer and 20% to the HF driver.

The ETX subs have an 1800 watt amp, and that is not peak, my engineer friend said that the peak output numbers far exceeded 2000 watts.

I do trust this friend at EVs counsel, as he gave me hours of support and custom programs for my DCONEs with my TourX rig, and never wanted a dollar. I hooked him up with some nice places to visit in the Middle East when he was doing installs in luxury hotels. I spent 6 tours of duty, flying attack helicopters in that part on the world from 1992 till retirement.
DJ Eighty 8 7:49 PM - 27 July, 2014
I'm gonna get through the BIG set-up first: (2) ETX-35P Tops and (2) ETX-18SP Subs and then in a few months I'll add (2) additional ETX-18SP Subs. Then from that point on I'll see about the ETX-12P Tops for much smaller events. I'm pretty much done researching and going back and forth, this will more than likely be my final choice. The JBL VRX system is the only thing that'll make me not get this one but I have no interest in buying them! Money isn't the deciding factor but I wanna stay within a certain budget and I think I can maximize my $10,000 budget with the ETX Line of speakers and have multiple system options.....?
pdidy 8:38 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
The JBL VRX system is the only thing that'll make me not get this one but I have no interest in buying them! Money isn't the deciding factor but I wanna stay within a certain budget and I think I can maximize my $10,000 budget with the ETX Line of speakers and have multiple system options.....?

You seem to be contradicting yourself in these statements but I do believe the ETX Line is the right choice for you.
DJ Eighty 8 9:41 PM - 27 July, 2014
If you take it that way then who am I to tell you your wrong. Just because you have it doesn't mean that you wanna/have to spend it. I calculated the VRX and was like this is gonna cost me a small fortune and the younger me would've just jumped on it. I'm older and not just stuck on 1 thing because I have it, I just started looking and seen other things that I would've never considered. I don't come on here for the bullshit, I'm really grown but to get a different outlook on something I may have missed. I seen you make the switch and was like.....now I can ask somebody that actually has them and will throw down with them. I started this thread mainly to hear you chime-in cause you actually own the VRX and will give the real report on what they do. I don't do the quote shit but again if it's seen that way.......?
DJ Eighty 8 9:45 PM - 27 July, 2014
......I do believe the ETX line will do too. I actually thought about coming up to BK just to hear your system cause NOBODY I know has 4 tops and 4 bottoms. A DJ I know has 2 tops and 2 bottoms, they're passive and I wasn't necessarily impressed. I'm a Harman guy on the Home Theater end and no dummy on technical jargon but it's still up to the end user.
pdidy 10:15 PM - 27 July, 2014
I not trying to be argumentative if it appears that way, maybe its just me that's confused.
DJ DisGrace 10:18 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
A DJ I know has 2 tops and 2 bottoms, they're passive and I wasn't necessarily impressed

To properly power the passive VRX, you basically need a bridged amp for each cabinet.
Joee 10:22 PM - 27 July, 2014
@DJ Eighty 8

the ev system will be a great setup no doubt, the only thing that is unappealing to me is the weight the top is 90lbs and the subs 114lbs

vs

vrx 50lbs tops and 85lbs subs, if giging alone the vrx is the clear winner

Quote:
To properly power the passive VRX, you basically need a bridged amp for each cabinet.

this is 110% correct ,the only thing i never liked about jbl's is there not sensitive they need tremendous amounts of power to play at full potential
DJ Eighty 8 10:51 PM - 27 July, 2014
It's cool, I'm just "Grown-Man" about having a constructive conversation. I'm 42 and I do no cyber bullshit, PDidy I gotta respect your game cause you own the gear. Joee this ran threw my mind a million times as well as just maybe "Over Paying" for a sound system as a Mobile DJ? Again, I gotta G-Check myself sometimes like damn Mutha-Fucka get a grip, your about to drop $20,000.....? The Passive VRX is just as expensive cause you need some serious amps to run them and I have a Passive System now..... I was sold on the QSC set-up until really researching and by being a longtime member here REALLY changed my mind. I was really shook when I read how they performed in real-world situations. Not all bad reviews but enough to make me not be dead set on them. Everybody who's anybody I talked to I've told them I was considering the powered VRX system and I pretty much got the same response.......Why? They're too much to deal with and there are better options for far less. Maybe not as good but you could get close.......well here I am!
pdidy 1:14 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Everybody who's anybody I talked to I've told them I was considering the powered VRX system and I pretty much got the same response.......Why? They're too much to deal with and there are better options for far less. Maybe not as good but you could get close.......well here I am!

1. "They're too much to deal with" - This is a common misconception spread by people with know experience with the the system. Even I was concerned about this but real world experience proved this to be false. I can teach anyone to use it just like your average point an shoot speaker in less than 2 min.

2. "there are better options for far less" - depend on what your priorities are.
Here's an example: loud - light - cheap,

you can only get 2 of you priories when buying speaker. The vrx is loud & light but not cheap. The ETX-35P is loud & cheaper than the vrx but not light. So in most cases you would have to ignore weight for the "better options for far less" statement to be true but there are some rare exceptions like the ev zxa5 (which I own) but then we would have to ignore aesthetics (the beauty) and the ability to array 2 per pole.....lol

Its all about priorities and trade-offs so yes i would say the ETX-35P is the right speaker for YOU because you don't have low weight priorities Yet.

I'll give you 6 month to a 1 yr for those 90lb speakers to thoroughly kick your ass.....lol
DJ Eighty 8 8:59 AM - 28 July, 2014
PDidy get outta my head Bro.......LOL. That is why I still haven't pulled that trigger yet and I still can't get my actual hands on any VRX's to actually feel them. The 1 person that I know who owns them, I only see him when he's out and about sometimes and his are passive. No chain store even has them or the QSC KLA series because nobody is spending that kinda bread for them. I'm a power lifter and have been since I was teenager but that doesn't mean I wanna go around lifting shit up all the time either! We shall see......?
Joee 10:49 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
PDidy get outta my head Bro.......LOL. That is why I still haven't pulled that trigger yet and I still can't get my actual hands on any VRX's to actually feel them. The 1 person that I know who owns them, I only see him when he's out and about sometimes and his are passive. No chain store even has them or the QSC KLA series because nobody is spending that kinda bread for them. I'm a power lifter and have been since I was teenager but that doesn't mean I wanna go around lifting shit up all the time either! We shall see......?

so now were back to the weight being a issue……..lol

i'm telling you …….

two jbl vrx 918sp's $1,550 each 85lbs & two rcf hd32-a's $950 each 40lbs or two ev zxa5's $1350 each 50lbs

you will be a happy man……….
rayjthedj 12:41 PM - 28 July, 2014
I will have to say, the ETX18SP are not easy to handle, EV missed the mark on that one. The box is low profile with the wheels on the back. It is a job for one person to put it up on the wheels because EV was not smart enough to put brake locks on the casters.

The wheels need brake locks to keep from rattling also. I took the wheels off my ETX15SP, as it dropped the weight almost 6 lbs, it is hard to get on the wheels because of the low height and long depth, to rotate it up on the wheels the wheels want to spin and rotate.

Draw back to taking wheels off, is the EV covers are open on the back, where the LCD, inputs and knobs are, so you have to rotate it up on the back to slide the cover over. I love the ETX line but they didn't talk to enough working MOBILE DJs when they designed the wheels and the covers.

Next thing is you will not be freinds with your back if you try and put the ETX35P on a pole over the ETX18SP sub. I am a big strong fellow, 6'3" and 230 and it was all I could do and I was affraid I was going to drop something, when I did the mounting. In fact it is a lift to get the ETX35P just setting on top of one sub, it needs to be on top of two to balance your sound, as it is much to strong for one sub, your back will be saying ouch again.

Bottom line, when handling ETX18SP and ETX35P, you will have to have roll in roll out and I strongly suggest two people. These are not single OP speakers!!

This is one of the reasons I went with four ETX15SPs and ETX12P over the 18SP and 15P or 35P combo.

Hope this helps, good luck with your buy.
DJ Eighty 8 4:57 PM - 28 July, 2014
Hey Joee it was Pdidy who broke my balls about the weight, I was just responding. He has the right being as though he swore by them heavy-ass Yorkville speakers for years!
Joee 7:20 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Hey Joee it was Pdidy who broke my balls about the weight, I was just responding. He has the right being as though he swore by them heavy-ass Yorkville speakers for years!

and whats the problem? i'm not breaking your balls, i'm stating facts…….

if the go with the 3 way ev/18 sub combo & you gig alone you will be very sad :( pissed even about the extra trouble/work it will be

if you go with the jbl/rcf/ev system i mentioned you will be a happy man :), ease of transportation/setup…..

you seem to have almost made up your mind about the ev system, but weight might be a issue? why not just get two etx 18" subs & two etx 12" tops?

unless of course you still want the line array look?
pdidy 8:57 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:

i STILL SWEAR by them as long as I dont have to lift them....lol
Joee 9:10 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:

i used one two weeks ago in a hotel i had it set at unity gain ,the hotel staff can up to me and said "can you please turn down the bass people on the second floor are complaining" so i did, later on in the night they came up to me again and asked me to turn down the bass yet again seems people were still hearing/feeling the bass on the second floor

another fun fact, in that same hotel i tested the york in another room, it knocked the popcorn of of the celling & these were high ceilings
pdidy 9:59 PM - 28 July, 2014
@ DJ Eighty 8, unless you're doing 400-500 events in large venues at LOUD club volumes on a regular basis and you want to stay light weight and solo if necessary, (in my opinion) the vrx tops are not for you.

In this case I agree with joee's "jbl/rcf/ev system" or "two etx 18" subs & two etx 12" tops" recommendations. All of these systems are good for at least 200.

If you need up to 400 at club volumes, I would personally go with the 2 ev-zxa5's + 4 Jbl vrx918sp (dbx processor limiter is a must with zxa5's at high volume). This has been my "A list" big party setup for a few years now.

You could even use the ev etx 18 sub instead of jbl vrx sub if you want to keep it all EV brand.
Joee 10:02 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
4 Jbl vrx918sp

not ERRBODY has your bass heavy needs……..lol
Joee 10:07 PM - 28 July, 2014
^ i'm using this now a days, someone like you will come to one of my events and say awwww look at that little cute base bin and ….LOL

www.rcf.it
pdidy 10:53 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
4 Jbl vrx918sp

not ERRBODY has your bass heavy needs……..lol

I know but......

"DJ Eighty 8 2:32 PM - 27 July, 2014
I'm just gonna get the ETX-18SP/35P combo and may add 2 more subs in a few months or so."

Sounds like he mite have some bass heavy needs....lol
Joee 11:02 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:

man he doesn't know what he needs…… he's confused between what he needs & what he wants
 6 11:15 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i used one two weeks ago in a hotel i had it set at unity gain ,the hotel staff can up to me and said "can you please turn down the bass people on the second floor are complaining" so i did, later on in the night they came up to me again and asked me to turn down the bass yet again seems people were still hearing/feeling the bass on the second floor

another fun fact, in that same hotel i tested the york in another room, it knocked the popcorn of of the celling & these were high ceilings

So, is it safe to say you only want these subs for outdoor use?

nm
pdidy 11:21 PM - 28 July, 2014
@ rayjthedj
Quote:
The SPL numbers on the ETX series are not calculated, they are measured and they are bi-amped tops, it is not just a 2000 watt amplifier with a crossover. I was told 80% to the woofer and 20% to the HF driver.

The ETX subs have an 1800 watt amp, and that is not peak, my engineer friend said that the peak output numbers far exceeded 2000 watts.

I do trust this friend at EVs counsel, as he gave me hours of support and custom programs for my DCONEs with my TourX rig, and never wanted a dollar. I hooked him up with some nice places to visit in the Middle East when he was doing installs in luxury hotels. I spent 6 tours of duty, flying attack helicopters in that part on the world from 1992 till retirement.

Well there was so much misinformation here I decided to give my "real" trusted friend at EV
a call just to double check and guess what , I was right...

My guy at EV says he's gonna kick your "alleged" guy at ev in the nuts and fire him.....lol

So I figure I'd allow you or the "alleged" (audio engineer for Bosch/EV/Dynacord, who does installs and services the Dallas Cowboy Stadium) the pleasure of identifying all said errors in your statement.
Joee 11:21 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So, is it safe to say you only want these subs for outdoor use?

nm

well they do work good for outdoor use, but to answer the question no

you want this sub period…….for any event as long as your guest are not walking around with canes i.e proms etc
Joee 11:23 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Well there was so much misinformation here I decided to give my "real" trusted friend at EV

My guy at EV says he's gonna kick your "alleged" guy at ev in the nuts and fire him.....lol

So I figure I'd allow you or the "alleged" (audio engineer for Bosch/EV/Dynacord, who does installs and services the Dallas Cowboy Stadium) the pleasure of identifying all said errors in your statement.

you sir have toooooo much time on your hands………..lol
pdidy 11:24 PM - 28 July, 2014
fun fact....
EV ETX-15P
20watts continuous - Hi frequency driver
500watts continuous - (Same woofer used in Electro-Voice TX1152, TX2152) www.zzounds.com
pdidy 11:25 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

you sir have toooooo much time on your hands………..lol

True.....lol
Joee 11:38 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
fun fact....
EV ETX-15P
20watts continuous - Hi frequency driver
500watts continuous - (Same woofer used in Electro-Voice TX1152, TX2152) www.zzounds.com

this is not new to those in the know, all the etx is ,is just a powered version of the passive tour x line

so the zxa5 is still a step above, now thats not to say that the tour x is bad
rayjthedj 11:39 PM - 28 July, 2014
Joee,

Don't know who your guy at EV is, really don't care, as he is owned by the guys at Bosch :)

I am very familiar with TourX as I own a bunch of it. Yes ETX15P has the same woofer that is in the TX1152, I have those speakers, and it is rated at 500w rms, 1000 program and 2000 peak.

If you really want to get yourself educated take apart the TourX or ETX cabinet and it has 400w rms stamped on the back of the driver, if your guy at EV can read he might be surprised, but he is probably just in sales and may not be able to use a screw driver.

The two boxes also have the same HF driver, and I have never asked the engineer what the DH/3 driver will take, because it puts out more HF sound than I need, I usually pull back the highs a tad.

You may be right, I am retired so I may have too much time on my hands :) You will get there some day, maybe right now you need a little more time to research or a smarter guy at EV.
rayjthedj 11:43 PM - 28 July, 2014
Oh by the way, I think the ZX5 is a great sounding speaker, but ugly as hell, the new ETX and JBL lines look much better.
Joee 11:52 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
I have never asked the engineer what the DH/3 driver will take,

so let me educate you like pididy said the dh3 is a 20 watts driver
www.electro-voice.com

the same high frequency driver thats in the etx & tour x

now lets talk low frequency drivers

SMX2150 380 mm (15 in) the same in the passive tour x as in the active etx, which is why i said the etx is a powered version of the tour x line

etx
www.electro-voice.com
tour x
www.electro-voice.com
pdidy 12:00 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Joee,

Don't know who your guy at EV is, really don't care, as he is owned by the guys at Bosch :)

I am very familiar with TourX as I own a bunch of it. Yes ETX15P has the same woofer that is in the TX1152, I have those speakers, and it is rated at 500w rms, 1000 program and 2000 peak.

If you really want to get yourself educated take apart the TourX or ETX cabinet and it has 400w rms stamped on the back of the driver, if your guy at EV can read he might be surprised, but he is probably just in sales and may not be able to use a screw driver.

The two boxes also have the same HF driver, and I have never asked the engineer what the DH/3 driver will take, because it puts out more HF sound than I need, I usually pull back the highs a tad.

You may be right, I am retired so I may have too much time on my hands :) You will get there some day, maybe right now you need a little more time to research or a smarter guy at EV.

It wasnt joee it it was me...lol

the fun fact about the EV ETX-15P are from me but at least you got one right EV uses 2 different specs on the SMX2150 which is 500w on printed documents and 400w on the woofer.
rayjthedj 12:07 AM - 29 July, 2014
Not to be a smart butt here but you are telling me things I do know. I have gigged TourX for more than 2 years now and love them with CP4000 amps and DCONE dsp. I would have never bought TourX if ETX was available. All that was out there at my level was the QSC stuff and I didn't care for it and still do not.

Yamaha has put out some good active tops but they are not serious about subs kinda like qsc.

The best thing I like about EV is their drivers don't require a bunch of power to produce a lot of clean SPL. So if it only takes 20 w rms to get the sound quality and SPL out of the dh3 driver then that's great.
pdidy 12:23 AM - 29 July, 2014
Correct, its all about sensitivity not the outrageous 2000watt power ratings used by manufactures to Impress the "average" user.
rayjthedj 12:24 AM - 29 July, 2014
Well then my apologizeeee to Joeeeee :)

With so much cut paste and quote, hard for me to tell who quoted who and which persons EV guy knows what he is talking about.

I will stand by my guy as he has actually worked for me on my system and he is not in sales.

The sales manager at Sam Ash in Nashville, (my sales person and fellow Army Aviator) explained ETX to me very well, as he was consulted during the design of ETX and sold me all my TourX, I well understand ETX is TourX with a better cabinet, nicer grills, a dual channel switch mode power amp, with all the processing and technology of EVs high end touring riggs.

Now that I have played the TX1122 and ETX12P side by side for several hours, there is way more going on in ETX than it being called active TourX. Myself the construction of the cabinet lends as much as all the high end electronics to the better sound of the ETX.

This weekend I had a ETX15SP and an ETX12P torn down to the skeleton, including the amp module, same as I did with my TourX, so I think I am fairly fimiliar with my equipment.

All this comes from to much time on my hands :)
pdidy 12:32 AM - 29 July, 2014
While its obvious that im being sarcastic and teasing, I would expect you to care enough not to spread misinformation. You may want to check your facts.
Joee 12:38 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Well then my apologizeeee to Joeeeee :)

no problem, we are speaker guys and love talking about speakers

and fyi i am the original serato forum ev guy, i think…..lol

i've used and owned all the passive/active cabs i love the ev sound the horns are sweet sounding not ear fatiguing

i have recently become a RCF fan………...
DJ DisGrace 12:48 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
there is way more going on in ETX than it being called active TourX

This is generally true of all powered speakers. There is built in EQ, phase, time alignment, compression, and crossover technology that your average passive box don't get to benefit from.
DJ Eighty 8 1:14 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

man he doesn't know what he needs…… he's confused between what he needs & what he wants

Now you are breaking my balls too Joee? Fuck it Bro........LOL, your absolutely correct! I thought this would just be a simple decision. That's why I started the thread cause at least you guys see things from a million different views as I do and everybody makes sense in some way or another.
Joee 1:23 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Now you are breaking my balls too Joee? Fuck it Bro........LOL, your absolutely correct! I thought this would just be a simple decision. That's why I started the thread cause at least you guys see things from a million different views as I do and everybody makes sense in some way or another.

NOOOO!! this statement is true

"man he doesn't know what he needs…… he's confused between what he needs & what he wants"

let me ask, what are your needs with this system? what are the kinds of events you mainly do?
DJ Eighty 8 1:40 AM - 29 July, 2014
Parties, occasional weddings, fashion shows and mainly private events. I pick and choose as I go along and the crowds may vary depending on the event.....? Joee I didn't know that you were an EV Man, you could've said that in the beginning and I would've cut Pdidy and his bias-VRX-ass out of the conversation! LOL

I'm gonna start off like this: (2) ETX-35P Tops - (2) ETX18S Subs - (2) ETX12P Tops and I'll add (2) ETX18P Subs later just because I'm a little sick. I think that'll cover me for any event/venue for years to come.....?
Joee 1:59 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Parties, occasional weddings, fashion shows and mainly private events. I pick and choose as I go along and the crowds may vary depending on the event.....

how many people average? and what kind of venues/how big

Quote:
I would've cut Pdidy and his bias-VRX-ass out of the conversation! LOL

don't count him out just yet, i to use vrx sub but lately not at all rcf has been it for me these days

i want light weight

Quote:
Joee I didn't know that you were an EV Man

ev speakers imageshack.com

ev mic imageshack.com

you can even see the ev sxa100+ in the bottom left hand corner
imageshack.com
DJ Eighty 8 2:08 AM - 29 July, 2014
That last image is a very clean set-up and I never count Pdidy out, he's stuntin' on everybody's ass with that VRX set-up. I still like to hear different opinions besides the local ones, shit we all frequent this board to give and get advice and talk some shit. That set-up is gonna give me a lot of versatility for any venue/crowd/event no matter how many people are there. I can bump it up or scale it down at my own leisure......
Joee 2:27 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
That last image is a very clean set-up

thanks, i sold the zxa1 combo for my rcf setup

Quote:
I can bump it up or scale it down at my own leisure......

how exactly do you scale down a 15" 90lbs 3 way box?

that thing is BIGGGG!
DJ Eighty 8 2:41 AM - 29 July, 2014
By having the (2) ETX-12P Tops.....
DJ GaFFle 7:14 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
ugly

Quote:
Oh by the way, I think the ZX5 is a great sounding speaker, but ugly as hell, the new ETX and JBL lines look much better.

SeRiOuSLy?!? {{{ hits report button }}}

They look straight on IMO and have a tuxedo appearance about them. Now THESE are some ugly speakers: fbtusa.net
rayjthedj 12:56 PM - 29 July, 2014
Sorry Gaffle, didn't mean to put a hickup in your pace maker by calling the ZX5 ugly :)-

I have several sets of ZX1's, definetly the ZX5 mini-me's, but I don't really care for the looks of that line. I will say they do look better than the any speaker with the 1980's open horn look.

So you know I don't really love my TourX looks either. I do like the way the new JBL stuff and the ETX stuff looks. You can't see the drivers, the steel grill mesh is tight and the cabinets have good square lines.

My old Army is coming out, high and tight with a straight gig line :)