Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

What is the best and LOUDEST powered PA subwoofer?

dbrownweb 3:52 AM - 17 July, 2014
I'm looking for the absolute best and loudest powered subwoofer for under $1500 and under 100 pounds. I might go up to $2000, and a little heavier, if they blew me away.

So far I've listened to and liked the QSC KW181 Powered Sub Woofer 18" 1000w. Is there a better powered subwoofer out there? I'm looking for quality and loudness. I'm a mobile DJ so I would like to keep it under 100 pounds.
pdidy 10:28 AM - 17 July, 2014
In the order of my personal preference, all of these subs will out preform the QSC while disregarding price and weight. So considering the limitations, the list will be short.

www.jblpro.com

www.rcf.it

www.electrovoice.com

Quote:
I might go up to $2000, and a little heavier, if they blew me away.

Thats a myth, there simply is no such thing as a single small sub approximately 100lb +/-
that will blow you away.....Its simple physics and the limits of our current technolgy.

If you want to be blown away by 1 single quality sub you must go BIG + $$$.
dbrownweb 12:12 PM - 17 July, 2014
Pdidy, thanks for your help! I'll look into the sub woofers you've recommended. Leaving pricing out, if I was to double my weight range to 200 pounds what would you recommend?
blackavenger 4:50 PM - 17 July, 2014
From what I have been reading, these seem to fit (albeit on the upper end) your criteria.....

www.rmcaudiodirect.com
DJ Big T Silva 5:04 PM - 17 July, 2014
I would check out the EV ETX series or the Yorkville parasource series subwoofers. They are both active, high SPL and are very highly reviewed.
blackavenger 5:35 PM - 17 July, 2014
Speaking of Yorkville, has anyone heard the Paraline Series first hand? Youtube videos don't give an accurate portrayal of how speakers sound.
pdidy 6:18 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
Pdidy, thanks for your help! I'll look into the sub woofers you've recommended. Leaving pricing out, if I was to double my weight range to 200 pounds what would you recommend?

Now just one of these subs can cause the "blown away" effect but why stop there....lol

www.danleysoundlabs.com

jtrspeakers.com

www.bassboss.com
pdidy 6:19 PM - 17 July, 2014
^^^^all are available in powered versions.
Djjahburg 10:26 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
I'm looking for the absolute best and loudest powered subwoofer for under $1500 and under 100 pounds. I might go up to $2000, and a little heavier, if they blew me away.

So far I've listened to and liked the QSC KW181 Powered Sub Woofer 18" 1000w. Is there a better powered subwoofer out there? I'm looking for quality and loudness. I'm a mobile DJ so I would like to keep it under 100 pounds.

The Ev Etx sub Is The One To Go It Sound Better Than The Qsc And It Is $1,500 Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Tecniq 5:00 PM - 18 July, 2014
Bruh I been using these they SLAM! postimg.org
hologram 6:50 PM - 18 July, 2014
You made the right choice.
Go with QSC and a good EQ.
Durability wise the QSCs have done better on the road in our rental fleet. And you can't beat the waybtheyvservhce the 6 year warranty.
dbrownweb 3:38 AM - 22 July, 2014
Thank you everyone for all your input... much appreciated! For my current mobile DJ needs I'm starting to lean toward the ETX-18SP. Anymore input is appreciated.

pdidy, that second list you gave me are some pretty serious speakers... thanks. They're definitely something to keep in mind.
hologram 4:17 PM - 22 July, 2014
The only issue I have with the ETX-18SP is the Display panel in a spot that can get cracked Easily. Can't put that in my rental fleet.
dbrownweb 4:27 PM - 22 July, 2014
Hologram, would you say the ETX-18SP is louder than the QSC? I'll be using the subwoofer myself so I'm not as worried about the display panel.
hologram 5:38 PM - 22 July, 2014
Not sure. But I have herd that it has a harder punch.
Where ever you are buying it form should allow you to demo both.
benictrs 8:14 PM - 22 July, 2014
I am contemplating myself buying two ev etx-18sp but i have noticed a problem , if i want to use those subs with other tops like the rcf hd32-a witch don't have built in dsp you are pretty screwed , because the etx-18sp doesn't have x'over on the outputs for the top's they'r just link's of the unaltered input signal . So you need to buy another piece of gear like a drive rack or somme kind of cross over to be able to run the tops accordingly . Is it just me who think this is a drawback ?
djvik9534 10:07 PM - 22 July, 2014
www.dasaudio.com These subs rock
pdidy 11:44 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
www.dasaudio.com These subs rock

any sub in particular ? A link to the website doesn't help much....lol
DJ Tecniq 6:01 AM - 23 July, 2014
I have the Ksub only cause i needed something small and portable to fit in the trunk of my altima and it fits perfectly w/o the spare tire in the trunk. However The QSC KW181 sounds amazing I couldn't believe how much harder it hits and the bass that was coming out of it. And the 6 yr warranty is a no brainer. Now only if it will fit in my trunk then i'll be trading my ksub for the 18" kw181.
hologram 4:32 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
I have the Ksub only cause i needed something small and portable to fit in the trunk of my altima and it fits perfectly w/o the spare tire in the trunk. However The QSC KW181 sounds amazing I couldn't believe how much harder it hits and the bass that was coming out of it. And the 6 yr warranty is a no brainer. Now only if it will fit in my trunk then i'll be trading my ksub for the 18" kw181.

+1
Djjahburg 5:01 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
I am contemplating myself buying two ev etx-18sp but i have noticed a problem , if i want to use those subs with other tops like the rcf hd32-a witch don't have built in dsp you are pretty screwed , because the etx-18sp doesn't have x'over on the outputs for the top's they'r just link's of the unaltered input signal . So you need to buy another piece of gear like a drive rack or somme kind of cross over to be able to run the tops accordingly . Is it just me who think this is a drawback ?

no because you should have a drive rock with setup to get more out of it
benictrs 5:14 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Why ? Should i use a drive rack ? Only to cut the low's from the tops? This seems a little bit redundant :-/
Almost all powered subs have Xover outputs look at RCF for example , it seems to me that the "best" sub with the "best" amp with the "best" integrated dsp should have this integrated , this is a no brainer .
EV is kind of forcing you to go all the way and use their sub with their top :-/ , RCF doesn't do that . I'm leaning more at purchasing subs from them now.
If you would use lets say 2xETX-15P & 2xETX-18SP witch have both integrated DSP in the amps would you still use a drive rack ? And if the answer is yes , why ?
DJ Tecniq 10:43 PM - 23 July, 2014
But now I'm curious. I've heard reviews that this slams compared to the qsc kw181

EV-ETX-18SP - www.pssl.com

QSC-KW181 - www.pssl.com

What do you guys think? Both 18" subs and almost looks as if the ETX18SP is smaller/lighter. So far I have yet to find a comparison video.
pdidy 10:59 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
But now I'm curious. I've heard reviews that this slams compared to the qsc kw181

EV-ETX-18SP - www.pssl.com

QSC-KW181 - www.pssl.com

What do you guys think? Both 18" subs and almost looks as if the ETX18SP is smaller/lighter. So far I have yet to find a comparison video.

If you look at the speakers specs it will tell you its size and weight if you want to know.
Djjahburg 11:06 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why ? Should i use a drive rack ? Only to cut the low's from the tops? This seems a little bit redundant :-/
Almost all powered subs have Xover outputs look at RCF for example , it seems to me that the "best" sub with the "best" amp with the "best" integrated dsp should have this integrated , this is a no brainer .
EV is kind of forcing you to go all the way and use their sub with their top :-/ , RCF doesn't do that . I'm leaning more at purchasing subs from them now.
If you would use lets say 2xETX-15P & 2xETX-18SP witch have both integrated DSP in the amps would you still use a drive rack ? And if the answer is yes , why ?
The Drive Rock Have A 20 band EQ Compressor And a Feedback Detection Just A Peace Of Mind That Your Setup Is Safe The Drive Rock Makes A Big Difference For Your Setup.
jstyle 12:27 AM - 24 July, 2014
I have been using the JBL PRX 612 and 618xlf for the past couple of years (this series was replaced by the 700 series) I haven't had any issues and the system sounds great with my DDJ-SX. The system is very clear and the bottom end packs a huge punch. I had a drive rack that I used for my non-powered system and decided to use it for my powered system for sound management. I tried using the drive rack cross over and limiting functions but the speakers sounded better to me without the drive rack doing the crossover. I mainly use the drive rack for fine tuning the various eq parameters as viewing the levels for sound clipping since I can't always see the back of the speakers

IMO the "best and loudest" is up to the ears of the operator. I like clear, loud undistorted sound!!
hologram 6:20 AM - 24 July, 2014
^^ truth
Go see what sounds right to you.
DJ Big T Silva 8:57 PM - 25 July, 2014
What does everyone think of the Yorkville parasource series and praline series? Check out the specs...... www.yorkville.com
DJ Big T Silva 8:57 PM - 25 July, 2014
*paraline
deejdave 1:48 PM - 26 July, 2014
I think pdidy has a lot of experience with Yorkville and has nothing but good things to say about them. Wait to hear it from him though.
pdidy 4:52 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
What does everyone think of the Yorkville parasource series and praline series? Check out the specs...... www.yorkville.com

the paraline and parasource tops/loudspeakers are all excellent. the paraline subs dont get as loud as the 801p but they go lower. I think most people will still prefer the 801p due to price.
i have not tested the Parasource Subs yet.
DJBRIANM 1:41 PM - 31 July, 2014
I have the Paraline system for proms/other large events
System consists of Flying 3 x PSA1 over ground stacked 2 x PSA2S per side.
I will be adding another PSA2s per side soon. I would add another top per side but my outriggers don't go high enough to justify 4 per side.

The good: Sounds incredible at high output. No external processing needed. With two people you can set up almost 15000 watts in 10 minutes.
The bad: needs lots of electrical power and will pop circuits if you fail to find a good power source/s.The flyware on the PSA1 tops could have been designed better and is a little cumbersome at first. QSC KLA and RCF HDL20 have a far superior rigging system.

Overall the Paralines are fantastic for the money but in my opn would be better suited for a permanent installation.

BTW-I played to 1600 this past NYE using this system and two qsc k12 front fills and two k12 monitors.
DJ GrimeTime 3:38 PM - 31 July, 2014
www.pksound.ca

Check this line of speakers out if you want something that really pounds.
hologram 4:38 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
www.pksound.ca

finally, A decent dual 18 self powered speaker.
thank you
hologram 4:47 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
www.pksound.ca

finally, A decent dual 18 self powered speaker.
thank you

Before I make someone mad. The DAS stuff is on another level. Not looking for that power draw. Once you get up to that level of amplification I start to have to weigh going back to EAW or Turbosounds with external Amps.
pdidy 5:19 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
I have the Paraline system for proms/other large events
System consists of Flying 3 x PSA1 over ground stacked 2 x PSA2S per side.
I will be adding another PSA2s per side soon. I would add another top per side but my outriggers don't go high enough to justify 4 per side.

The good: Sounds incredible at high output. No external processing needed. With two people you can set up almost 15000 watts in 10 minutes.
The bad: needs lots of electrical power and will pop circuits if you fail to find a good power source/s.The flyware on the PSA1 tops could have been designed better and is a little cumbersome at first. QSC KLA and RCF HDL20 have a far superior rigging system.

Overall the Paralines are fantastic for the money but in my opn would be better suited for a permanent installation.

BTW-I played to 1600 this past NYE using this system and two qsc k12 front fills and two k12 monitors.

any pictures ?
DJ Big T Silva 4:52 AM - 1 August, 2014
Yes I would like to see pictures of your rig DJBRIANM.
DJ Big T Silva 5:02 AM - 1 August, 2014
I personally would love to hear the EV ETX 15's poled on a 18" ETX sub next to a Yorkville parasource 15's poled on Yorkville parasource 18"sub. Both are solid brands with a warm sound, high output for active speakers, and have multiband limiting, and DSP. However EV ETX has a more comprehensive phase corrected DSP LCD panel on the back. Both seem like a great choice for a mobile DJ who is looking to upgrade and not lug amps, but have a clean sounding portable solution at a reasonable price point with big sound for up to medium sized venues. Has anyone heard this combo side by side or heard both and can comment on the sound or feature differences they prefer between this two PA systems?
Joee 1:26 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
In the order of my personal preference, all of these subs will out preform the QSC while disregarding price and weight. So considering the limitations, the list will be short.

www.jblpro.com

www.rcf.it

www.electrovoice.com

Quote:
I might go up to $2000, and a little heavier, if they blew me away.

Thats a myth, there simply is no such thing as a single small sub approximately 100lb +/-
that will blow you away.....Its simple physics and the limits of our current technolgy.

If you want to be blown away by 1 single quality sub you must go BIG + $$$.

surprised you didn't recumbent the LS801P
desmorider 7:04 PM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:

I emailed electrovoice about this. I wanted to know if the subs have general high pass outputs along with the high pass dsp settings to work with their top boxes, and they advised that they do. They said that the high pass out can be set to 80hz or 100hz.
Joee 7:14 PM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:
I emailed electrovoice about this. I wanted to know if the subs have general high pass outputs along with the high pass dsp settings to work with their top boxes, and they advised that they do. They said that the high pass out can be set to 80hz or 100hz.

good to know i thought it didn't
desmorider 7:15 PM - 2 March, 2015
Quote:

XIVIX 4:04 PM - 26 April, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure this is correct. The user manual specifically states that "the DSP control settings DO NOT affect MIX OUTPUT". You can adjust a low pass to help compliment other tops and options are 80, 100,120, and 150 hz but your top would still need a high pass on it. I don't see anywhere in this guide mention of a high pass on the output.
Dj Jahfari 4:15 AM - 28 June, 2016
ALTO BLACKS 18 SUBS. NO COMPETITION PERIOD !!!!!!!
DjSyndic8 4:27 AM - 28 June, 2016
Quote:

Behringer 18s the new versions pump hard
Asu 4:31 PM - 28 June, 2016
Quote:

Those Altos make sense at a peak 2400W...1200RMS...for the subs.i don't get the new SRX being 1000W peak...they can't be that efficient.
Meekeen 10:47 PM - 26 August, 2016
Hey Dj Jahfari!!

Is Alto Black 18s really that great subwoofer?
I suppose you heard it yourself? or maybe you have it yourself?

I am looking at:
-Electrovoice ELX118P
-RCF 8003
-FBT Mitus 118sa

and now starting to think about the Alto Black 18s you mentioned - I wasn't aware of this sup at all.
What you say?
Maybe have some cool reviews of it?

many thanks
Asu 3:13 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
FBT Mitus 118sa

Dude,that's a $3000 sub...and the specs aren't that impressive...just get a QSC KW181 for it's compactness/performance or the ETX 18" for some serious lows...the JBL PRX718 has also been price dropped to $899...save yourself some real $$$ :-)
Meekeen 6:25 PM - 29 August, 2016
Yeah I suppose that FBT and even the RCF 8003 are a bit too expensive.

What's left is the EV ELX118P right? It's like 800 dollars and I found couple of opinions that it clips fairly easily which is not good.

Also QSC KW181. Hmm.....1400 dollars and seems the best alternative (better then the ELX possibly? and on par with RCF 8003).

I wasn't aware about the Alto Black 18s until I saw this post and Dj Jahfari's suggestion/mention of it. I am really intrigued about it.
Where I live is not that expensive at around 800 dollars so at ELX118P level. What excites me is that (although not many things I can find about it online) some people say it's a 'freak of nature' not a sub (for example - that's what people say on amazon reviews). Well, its frequency response (and not the lame 'range') at -3dB is extremely low 29Hz so it must go really down, which I like - I like really deep bass (like a thunderstorm in the distance). Also it has bluetooth availability which is like....really handy and no other subs have it. I suppose that the lowest frequency response that the sub can produce is very important when comparing subs? (+max continuous SPL - preferably measure and not calculated)
It also has no fan but is cooled by convection only (I am 99% sure about it) which is good when I will also use the sub at home at low volumes (the fan always brings some noise in). Downsides? It's an Alto so a brand not that pro as QSC, EV, FBT and RCF but frankly.....I don't care about it much. I care how it thumps everyone with mega bass.
Alto Black 18s also has stereo ins which is a great plus (Mitus and EV for example have mono ins which is not good I suppose?). It also has 1250W RMS so really powerful (with most subs here having 1000W RMS).

I haven't heard any of the subs unfo. I don't care how sub looks like (pretty/ugly) and how heavy it is (well, 100lbs max I suppose).

What do you guys think??
many thanks
Joee 6:32 PM - 29 August, 2016
around or less then $800 us www.rcf.it
Asu 11:16 AM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
It also has 1250W RMS so really powerful (with most subs here having 1000W RMS).

The QSC is punchier than the Alto.Spec sheets mean nothing in this day and age.I can bet the new SRX powered 18" sound better than the Alto with only 1000W.So it depends on the driver and what kind of Amp is used.

the QSC should also have a better warranty and resale value down the road...if you want a serious sub,forget the ELX...it's not something I'd consider.unless you're only talking price.

The Fan is very useful once you've been playing for hours and the sub gets hot.If you ever play outside in the heat,the speakers will turn off with no fan to cool them down....there's a reason JBL dropped the no fan idea with powered speakers...convection only works great when you play really loud,at lower volumes,that Amp gets super hot,meaning Amp failure isn't far behind.

you'll be much Happier with the QSC.
Meekeen 4:09 PM - 31 August, 2016
hey Asu

Many thanks for your reply - this is much appreciated. Anyone else can have a say please? Especially Dj Jahfari in respect of Alto Black 18 ?!

I fully understand that QSC is a considerably better brand then Alto. The warranty conditions are surely better + reliability of QSC product will very possibly be better then Alto's. Also the resale values will be better with QSC. All agreed.

Yeah, specs mean shit these days. Competition is so strong and so watchful that products are similar as one company won't allow other to stand out too much. And also, let's be honest, sound in general (not only with subwoofers of course) is a subjective thing and therefore all speakers should be A/B tested in the same condition before decision is made really !

Thanks for your ideas on fan/fanless designs. You are right. When using sub at high volumes and in hot conditions/sun (and I will as I am in hot Spain) the fan could make a difference as it could protect the amp more from completely switching off due to thermal protection kicking in. At home though, when using the sub at low levels, fanless design makes more sense as it will have less 'fan noise'.

I'm sure I would be happy with QSC (and never heard about the JBL SRX - need to read about it) but where I am the KW181 is twice the price of Alto Black 18 which is 'quite considerable' and I need take into consideration.

I am also thinking if woofer's diameter in a sub (12 or 15 or 18 or 21 inches) makes difference as far as my preferred music (deep house with bpm 115-125) and usage (small parties but ALSO at quite low volume levels when used at home) ?!
Maybe, because of physics or other properties I really should avoid anything above 15 inch sub? Or maybe other way around? and the bigger diameter the better in my case?

Many thanks and much luff
hologram 6:16 PM - 7 September, 2016
I have 8 of the QSC KW181s. I have never been disappointed.
And I had the 18" powered subs form the HPR series before these.
Resale value is the best I've seen in three decades.
Best warranty out there but one thing. Make sure you register them within 90 days of purchase to get the 6 year. No need to buy reseller warranties. If you miss you pay. Only time I've needed to repair the subs is when some one dropped them hard enough to shift the speaker magnets. Thats not knocking them over thats a three foot drop at least like off the back of a truck gate.
Meekeen 9:47 PM - 7 September, 2016
many thanks hologram

Anyone got experience with Black 15/18s vs QSC or RCF?
Joee 9:49 PM - 7 September, 2016
the rcf 905-as hit's as much as the qsc kw181

serato.com
John Calipari 11:45 PM - 11 September, 2016
Quote:

Mackie SRM1850 Powered Sub
Meekeen 12:35 AM - 12 September, 2016
srm1850?
with frequency response 3db from only 40Hz?

Alto black 18s goes down to 29Hz :O So I don't think there is competition
pdidy 2:09 AM - 12 September, 2016
Quote:
ALTO BLACKS 18 SUBS

Quote:
Behringer 18s

Quote:
Mackie SRM1850

From a professional DJ's prospective, None of the aforementioned subs and/or brands are considered "respectable" as a mid levels dj sub.

Now if you are from a 3rd world country or one which charges significantly more than U.S. prices or you have financial limitations......Only then should these particular brands be mentioned as potential entry level options. If that is not the case then it might be wise to disregard these brands.
DjSyndic8 3:29 AM - 12 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
ALTO BLACKS 18 SUBS

Quote:
Behringer 18s

Quote:
Mackie SRM1850

From a professional DJ's prospective, None of the aforementioned subs and/or brands are considered "respectable" as a mid levels dj sub.

Now if you are from a 3rd world country or one which charges significantly more than U.S. prices or you have financial limitations......Only then should these particular brands be mentioned as potential entry level options. If that is not the case then it might be wise to disregard these brands.

I'm not really fussed with quality, when I buy speakers I look for affordability, portability, and loudness, and for me Behringer brand is the best, price is affordable, easy enough for me to transport in my Nissan Pathfinder 2015, and these speakers and subs are so loud most of the time I don't take my full setup, I just take one side, one 18inch sub 2200watts and one satellite 15inch 1500watt and that's plenty of sound for most small halls , hotels and garages, the times I do take 2 subs and 2 satellites I always get asked to turn my bass down or the vol cause some neighbor down the road is complaining about the noise level, but its up to you if you have the money o for it and spend it, if you don't then Behringer will give you more for you $$$
pdidy 4:00 AM - 12 September, 2016
@ DjSyndic8, I get it.....After being on the forum for so many years I've come to understand there are many variations of use, expectations of performance and needs that change for every user. Its a fact that different regions can have total opposite and apposing ideas of what is acceptable or the norm. Clearly our orders of priority are vastly different but i'm sure there are many who may agree that your way works better for them.
Ragman 6:27 AM - 12 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
ALTO BLACKS 18 SUBS

Quote:
Behringer 18s

Quote:
Mackie SRM1850

P what's your problem with the SRM1850? I would have thought that Mackie was a step up in quality compared to the other 2.
Tlov 10:54 PM - 3 October, 2016
I use the cerwin vega 21 inch subs and these things hit hard I have knocked the dust off the ceilings in some places even broke a light bulb at a church once
DjSyndic8 11:02 PM - 3 October, 2016
Quote:
I use the cerwin vega 21 inch subs and these things hit hard I have knocked the dust off the ceilings in some places even broke a light bulb at a church once

Ive knocked dust of the ceiling in many places with my Behringer 18inch Sub 2200watts I think your cerwin vega is a beast at 21inch, really massive to carry around though,

also the bulb probably blew cause of High frequency sound and not low frequency,
Asu 12:52 PM - 6 October, 2016
lol i love those 21 Cerwin vega subs but they're like 180lbs for the powered ones...not practical for most DJ's who load in and out by them selves.
pdidy 4:37 PM - 6 October, 2016
Cerwin Vega used to be the speaker every dj wanted but probably could not afford back in the 80s, now it's become the cheaper option you buy when you can't afford the major brands. Times have changed.
DjSyndic8 7:48 PM - 6 October, 2016
Quote:
Cerwin Vega used to be the speaker every dj wanted but probably could not afford back in the 80s, now it's become the cheaper option you buy when you can't afford the major brands. Times have changed.

probably using cheaper components
Sharod 11:02 PM - 6 October, 2016
Yeah those cerwin vega 21's maybe cheaper in price but they are louder, stronger, and deeper than anything near their price range. After listening to 4 vega 21's on a dbx drive rack outside in a park, i am a believer. Don't knock em till you hear em.
DjSyndic8 4:16 AM - 7 October, 2016
Quote:
Yeah those cerwin vega 21's maybe cheaper in price but they are louder, stronger, and deeper than anything near their price range. After listening to 4 vega 21's on a dbx drive rack outside in a park, i am a believer. Don't knock em till you hear em.

wowsers 4 c vegas daaaam lucky it was outside
Sharod 1:25 AM - 8 October, 2016
DjSyndic8 1:40 AM - 8 October, 2016

my dream setup have to buy a van just to carry these very niiiice Sharod
Ragman 2:56 AM - 8 October, 2016

Bass on steroids ...
Joee 3:59 PM - 8 October, 2016
Quote:

i have a better one for you

www.rcf.it

or

www.rcf.it
Beesuit 8:19 AM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i have a better one for you

www.rcf.it

or

www.rcf.it

As an 8005-AS owner, I can attest to its loudness and awesomeness. I live in a city that contains over 80 beaches and as such the vast majority of my gigs are done not only outdoors, but directly facing noisy beach fronts, yet I've had no problems doing gigs set for 250 people with just one 8005. They sound great, too.

The only complaint I have with the 8005 is with its anchoring -- they're actually not as heavy as they look and given enough time they'll literally vibrate themselves out of position and across a room if placed on a smooth, tiled surface.

I had to wedge doorstops on it to keep it still, lol.

There are a few subs which I've not heard from certain other high end brands, though, such as the Danley TH118 and JTR Orbit Shifter. I suspect those would be even louder if the spec sheet is anything to go by. But apart from those, the 8005-AS sounds better than any sub I've heard.
hologram 5:55 PM - 10 October, 2016
9007-as

drool

but 11 grand man?
I could buy 8 QSC 181s for that

Once you start talking those prices I'm looking at EAW and Turbosound...
Joee 6:08 PM - 10 October, 2016
i don't know if i mentioned it in this thread? But the Yamaha DXS18 is one nasty sub

for less then $1,100 it is a beast usa.yamaha.com
DJ_Gonzo 9:04 PM - 10 October, 2016
I use two Yorkville LS801PBs and they are insane! One of the best DJing purchases I have made.

Integrated 2500 Watt Amplifier (Peak - 1500 Watts Program)
18-inch Woofer
Max SPL 140dB Peak (134dB Continuous)
45Hz - 150Hz with Adjustable HF Roll-Off
45Hz - 90Hz Variable Boost Frequency
Paralleled XLR and 1/4-inch Selectable Line or Speaker Level Inputs
Excursion, Peak and Thermal Woofer Protection
Integrated All Metal Speaker Pole Mount Adaptor
Solid 5/8-inch (15mm) Birch Plywood Construction
Joee 9:09 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
I use two Yorkville LS801PBs and they are insane! One of the best DJing purchases I have made.

there is nothing better in that $1,100 price point than the ls801, but the dxs18 is a nice alternative while being a bit easier to manage by one person
pdidy 10:37 PM - 10 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

there is nothing better in that $1,100 price point than the ls801, but the dxs18 is a nice alternative while being a bit easier to manage by one person

Its time for some company to come out with a single 18" yorkville 801 killer at the same price or lower & same size or smaller.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 1:53 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quick question for the sub guru's... Does anybody use Community anymore?
ernie 4:11 AM - 11 October, 2016
RCF 745
hologram 4:35 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:

two V2-3500 and two V2-215S per side are still a hell of a stack. Always liked the punch of the Community 15 inch subs. Had the quad 15 and the quad 12 tops when I was in Santa Barbara.
pdidy 5:03 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:

No, only be old school passive sound guys still love and use them. Two speakers that are very popular with them are the......
www.communitypro.com
www.communitypro.com
thumbs.worthpoint.com

These old azzz 20-year-old speakers are so ridiculously loud and efficient requiring very little power, will effortlessly shit on EVERYTHING that we currently use today in the DJ market. They don't go low because they are designed to go stupid loud while being used with subs.
Beesuit 6:47 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
RCF 745

That's a loudspeaker, dude, not a sub.

But since you brought it up, RCF's NXL24 is available for about the same price and is better, smaller, and has a baltic birch cabinet instead of a plastic one.

Quote:
9007-as

drool

but 11 grand man?
I could buy 8 QSC 181s for that

Once you start talking those prices I'm looking at EAW and Turbosound...

Ouch. For that price you might as well get 2 8005-AS's (the 8005s would lose in RMS by 550w, but gain an advantage with its 4.5" voice coil versus the 4.0" voice coil on the 9007).
Joee 12:05 PM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its time for some company to come out with a single 18" yorkville 801 killer at the same price or lower & same size or smaller.

you don't think this is it? i believe they are in the same price range
www.jblpro.com

just not a one man sub, the york & yamaha can be carried by one person
Asu 12:33 AM - 15 October, 2016
Quote:

Used the Cerwin Vega P-1800SX Powered sub in deep mode(Vega Boost) all night in a fairly sized room...for sure i thought i needed two subs but only had the hatch for the weekend and can only fit one with everything else.

the base was deep and could be felt in the whole room.i walked to all corners... 14 tables with 10 pple each and a good size dance floor in the middle at the odyssey event center here in Los Angeles.

I'm tempted to buy another since they're cheap,deep and loud,deeper than a KW181 for sure ...i've had this sub for 3 yrs now.
Asu 12:54 AM - 15 October, 2016
FYI the Cerwin Vega P-1800SX uses a B&C Driver which goes as low as 35Hz.Forgot the model but the thing produces deep, clean bass that puts a smile on your face.

you can feel how deep the sub is even when playing louder.
DJ Big T Silva 3:50 AM - 8 December, 2016
Does anyone have experience hearing or using the yorkville paraline psa1 paired with psa2s dual 15" active subs? I am interested in this combo as I already own yorkville U15P's and love them. Thanks!
Asu 2:57 PM - 17 December, 2016
156 lbs if you can handle that...Yorkville is always solid
Asu 3:32 PM - 17 December, 2016
specs show they go much lower than the PS18S...so they probably sound great
huckler 9:00 AM - 24 January, 2017
I have little place to comment as I have not heard / felt one but all reviews of Alto Black 18 are overwhelmingly positive.

I went to the local pro audio store when choosing a PA speaker (not sub) and listened to every model a few times.

Alto Black 15 (PA speaker, not sub) smoked everything.

Noticeably better right across the spectrum than anything else in the store.

Further to that, transient response, leagues ahead.

And fk me, they're LOUD.

I don't know too much about PA speakers but coming from a production background / loads of experience with a wide array of monitor speakers, there was simply no comparison.

I would go check it out if you're in the market.

Distros seem somewhat limited though hey...

Anyone actually heard / felt one?

- Ric
huckler 9:03 AM - 24 January, 2017
Forgot to mention, spec sheet claims 27hz...
pdidy 12:43 PM - 24 January, 2017
Quote:
I have little place to comment as I have not heard / felt one but all reviews of Alto Black 18 are overwhelmingly positive.

I went to the local pro audio store when choosing a PA speaker (not sub) and listened to every model a few times.

And fk me, they're LOUD.

I don't know too much about PA speakers but coming from a production background / loads of experience with a wide array of monitor speakers, there was simply no comparison.

- Ric

My guess is the altos were great because you live in Australia where I hear the options are very limited and the quality speakers are very expensive. Here in the U.S. the alto brand is considered more of a "beginner on a budget" speaker and when compared to the quality brands like jbl srx + prx, Yamaha dsr + dxr, EV etx or rcf they are not considered an option by the more experienced users.
deejdave 2:16 PM - 24 January, 2017
This is true but in all honesty the specs are impressive and the reviews are there to back them up. This could be clever marketing and "fluffed" numbers but if they are in fact accurate these are a bit of a step from beginner quality. I'd love to hear some real hands on feedback from a trusted source such as a select few from these very forums.
huckler 10:08 PM - 24 January, 2017
Yeah like i said, little place to comment. Best bet with speakers is to always check them out yourself where poss.

Bunch of guys trying to compare speakers having never listened to them serves little purpose.

As far as build quality of the speaker i purchased, i simply dont know how i could break it. Its superb. Ive bumped that mofo constantly and its still the same exp as new.

Alto have a couple of lines also, from what i know the black stuff is the good shit and the ts stuff is entry level mackie thumpish.

I have got a bit of extra coin atm so will prob grab one of the black 18s soon as i find one if it sounds good and do a review for you guys.

Peace yo.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:28 PM - 25 January, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

And fk me, they're LOUD.

- Ric

My guess is the altos were great because you live in Australia where I hear the options are very limited and the quality speakers are very expensive. Here in the U.S. the alto brand is considered more of a "beginner on a budget" speaker and when compared to the quality brands like jbl srx + prx, Yamaha dsr + dxr, EV etx or rcf they are not considered an option by the more experienced users.

Diddy I think you need to trade in your VRX and go Alto Black!
Reds5972 5:06 PM - 29 January, 2017
Am using turbosound iq18b sub i went guitar center and play the subs before i buy the turbosound for the price i would compare it with qsc kw181
DjSyndic8 4:42 AM - 30 January, 2017
Quote:
Am using turbosound iq18b sub i went guitar center and play the subs before i buy the turbosound for the price i would compare it with qsc kw181

thinking about buying these but I own the new behringer 18s 2200watts and they pump hard
Ragman 9:01 PM - 30 January, 2017
I've been seeing some mixed reviews on the Turbsound subs, albeit more good than bad, but enough to be concerned. The specs appear to be nice for the price. Not to heavy either.
Dj Jahfari 10:14 PM - 26 February, 2017
I haven't been on here for a long time. My bad for the late reply Alto Blks are great Speakers that i myself own and i will say hands down they are Beast mode. Looks, Weight and Power output can't be beat also thy Have bluetooth along with a App to more customize your sound color. Take my two cents as I am also a Audio Engineer. Side note, its crazy when other music pro's step to my system and starts to rub them as they PURRRR. lol
Dj Jahfari 10:20 PM - 26 February, 2017
On another Note i went to GC not for Alto's I went for the Quote and Quote Standards and my friend at the time a maneger referred them to me and i was like prove it to me and he did the 18s sub soo low and not cloudy. Murdered the COMPETITION and the15was soo clear all i could say was shut up and take my money. They haven't fail me yet. Trust me
Rebelguy 12:56 AM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
I haven't been on here for a long time. My bad for the late reply Alto Blks are great Speakers that i myself own and i will say hands down they are Beast mode. Looks, Weight and Power output can't be beat also thy Have bluetooth along with a App to more customize your sound color. Take my two cents as I am also a Audio Engineer. Side note, its crazy when other music pro's step to my system and starts to rub them as they PURRRR. lol

126db peak is definitely not doing Beast Mode.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:58 AM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

But he is a audio engineer.
Dj Jahfari 5:23 AM - 27 February, 2017
lol, you guys don't get your panties in a bunch. I am simply trying to help someone that ask i a question. We @RoaringLionz have our fare share of diff setups for the Band and studio, as for The Dj sound system we run Alto Blks Pros and they bang. If you have another opinion and experience then respect and Jah guidance.
DJ Tecniq 6:44 AM - 27 February, 2017
Quote:
lol, you guys don't get your panties in a bunch. I am simply trying to help someone that ask i a question. We @RoaringLionz have our fare share of diff setups for the Band and studio, as for The Dj sound system we run Alto Blks Pros and they bang. If you have another opinion and experience then respect and Jah guidance.
Alto's are not a trusted brand which is why they are so cheap. You get what you pay for. Their warranty is terrible as well. While they may work they are not quality speakers.
DJ Tecniq 6:51 AM - 27 February, 2017
I've had a friend have to replace the tweeters "twice" on a pair of Alto's while you are getting a good deal they are made with very cheap parts. Read the reviews on Amazon. Spend a little more and get a pair of quality speakers like EV's they are a trusted brand.
KateUptonNYC 5:34 PM - 27 February, 2017
I've had a pair of Alto tops and Bottoms with no issues.
pdidy 8:15 PM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But he is a audio engineer.

Well at least we know who to call to record our next rap demo.....lol
Asu 11:53 PM - 8 March, 2017
Quote:

the Blacks actually are 134 dB peak @ 1 m...I've heard nothing but good things about the Alto blacks...they must have made an impact because In music bought Alto and rebranded them as DENON speakers with the whole wifi app route which JBL and others just recently jumped on....gonna go hear them for myself @ guitar center.
Asu 11:55 PM - 8 March, 2017
Personally, i prefer JBL since it's easier to source parts and fix them yourself, if you're out of warranty
deejdave 12:00 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:

Where did this number even come from?
DjSyndic8 12:04 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

u can download apps that measure sound db
Asu 12:06 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

not sure because even the small Alto 10" black is 131db. with the 15" being 135db measured pink noise
deejdave 12:07 AM - 9 March, 2017
And these Alto's were personally measured by whom?
Asu 12:07 AM - 9 March, 2017
sorry 134db for the 15"
Asu 12:11 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

u can download apps that measure sound db

yeah but how good is an iphone mic or whatever phone you use lol...anyway music peak DBs are always lower than pink noise.
desmorider 12:00 AM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:

Cool ass story bro. What does your whole system that guys like to rub up on consist of?
pdidy 1:04 AM - 14 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Cool ass story bro. What does your whole system that guys like to rub up on consist of?

Pictures or it didn't happen.....lol
Mr. Goodkat 1:27 AM - 10 May, 2017
What is the smallest subwoofer that you've seen that works in smaller spaces. not size but brand make & model
Joee 1:32 AM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:
What is the smallest subwoofer that you've seen that works in smaller spaces. not size but brand make & model

this one has my vote www.kv2audio.com
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 14 June, 2017
Those Alto Black/Denon Delta specs seem a little too good to be true.

33hz at -3db for a 15" bass reflex sub with a 132 db peak for $800?

Honestly would like to give them a listen, but no one stocks them anywhere and they'd have to be special ordered in (meaning but before trying).
Richard Penrose 9:57 PM - 24 June, 2017
I have the QSC KW181's at the moment and I have been very impressed with their performance considering their weight, size and price.
I've recently heard the new RCF8003as mkII's and I have to say they sound fantastic. I've not done a side by side comparison but I wouldn't be at all surprised to find they go louder and deeper than my QSC's.
I'm hoping to borrow some 8003AS mkII's soon and compare them with the KW181's. They are over 6kg heavier and a little bigger than the KW181's so may be a deal breaker for me as I will be moving these around by myself!
mdtapia01 7:23 AM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
Toe
Quote:

I use 2 15" Epsilon EPS15 Class D 1000watt Compact Powered Subwoofers. They weigh about 70lbs each and Surprisingly Out Perform Mackie, Behringer, and Go Toe to Toe with my Alto Pro Black 18" Class D 2400 watt Powered Subwoofer. As for Anybody Inquiring about the Quality and Performance of either of these 2 Brands. They Both have Out Performed..Out Lasted Previous Brands such as JBL, Peavey and B52. Has Anyone TRIED or OWN those Powered Subwoofers you see on FB? BASSBOSS Powered Subwoofers?
Asu 2:57 PM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
BASSBOSS Powered Subwoofers?

BassBoss is the truth...their 18" and 21 DJ sub are beasts if you can afford them $2945+.You usually need one for the average 200-300 people event....DJ21S & SSP118 are beasts meant for mobile DJs...Their specs make sense too when you factor in the driver size, specs, box size, amp Rms + Peak numbers.

I got my eye on the 21....they have financing too if you don't wanna drop the cash in a lump sum.

only problem is weight @ 125 to 138 lbs if you ride solo but there are solutions for that.
dj_soo 9:19 PM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
my Alto Pro Black 18" Class D 2400 watt Powered Subwoofer

How do you find these? Im not really a fan of Alto gear, but I know the Black series are supposed to be their higher end stuff to compete with the K-series level stuff of the world and I've noticed that the Black stuff has basically been rebranded as Denon Pro gear.

The specs seem too good to be true imo - have you ever done a side by side with say a KW181 or PRX818LXF?
Asu 7:23 PM - 23 September, 2017
I'm now using JBL SRX 828S & CVX 18's...Cerwin Vega CVX's are def legit.
DjSyndic8 9:24 PM - 23 September, 2017
Quote:
I'm now using JBL SRX 828S & CVX 18's...Cerwin Vega CVX's are def legit.

I used the cvx18s and I blew it cause I cranked it too hard just not enough power for me, but the CV 10" are sweet
Asu 11:55 PM - 24 September, 2017
Quote:
I used the cvx18s and I blew it cause I cranked it too hard just not enough power for me, but the CV 10" are sweet

I know the type of DJ you are if you can blow a powered sub that can keep up with prx715 which get fairly loud. #PlayingintheredallNight...I've used it cranked to the max and at 2 O'clock...didn't blow mine...but I watch my levels...distortion is what kills speakers.
djvik9534 3:25 AM - 25 September, 2017
I use a complete DAS Action series powered system with 18 inch Subs. These subs hit very hard.
DjSyndic8 3:29 AM - 25 September, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I know the type of DJ you are if you can blow a powered sub that can keep up with prx715 which get fairly loud. #PlayingintheredallNight...I've used it cranked to the max and at 2 O'clock...didn't blow mine...but I watch my levels...distortion is what kills speakers.

bro it was funny... the night I blew my sub the sub was in front of me and it was pumping loud then I started seeing smoke surrounding my dj table then I thought to myself wow smoke I didn't bring a smoke machine then 3 secs later I realized the sub box was on fire on the inside
lmao that was so funny, luckily I took back and it was the last month of the warranty so it was fixed but I sold it to someone else
dj_soo 7:09 AM - 25 September, 2017
well shit - I just picked up a CVX 18S.

Hope you just got a lemon and it's not a widespread problem.

Really like the sound quality and depth but I'm going to be running it exclusively with a driverack just for extra protection. Haven't had a chance to really push it yet as the only gig I used it with was a wedding of 100 and I wasn't even coming close to limiting the box.
DjSyndic8 10:20 AM - 25 September, 2017
Quote:
well shit - I just picked up a CVX 18S.

Hope you just got a lemon and it's not a widespread problem.

Really like the sound quality and depth but I'm going to be running it exclusively with a driverack just for extra protection. Haven't had a chance to really push it yet as the only gig I used it with was a wedding of 100 and I wasn't even coming close to limiting the box.

honestly its a beast of a sub but you gotta watch the red light so u can back off the sound I thought the processor will cut the sound out if it gets too loud before it actually blows up, mind you the sub is a bit of old technology now, that's why I rock the Behringer 2400watt 18' subs they pump hard and it hasn't blown up on me .....yet lol I like my music with a lot of bass and loud
dj_soo 12:18 AM - 26 September, 2017
Yea, red lights on any sound gear is a sign to turn it down. Don't feel quite so nervous if you were just riding the clip light all night. Although, going into protect mode would be better than catching fire imo.