Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Ongoing Serato DJ public beta?

Mike Czech 4:37 PM - 14 July, 2014
As a longtime SSL user, I am coming over to Serato DJ with high expectations, many of which have yet to be met. Silly things like the needle drop switching to INT mode are really making me leery of playing with SDJ as my primary software.

SSL used to have a fairly easy to find public beta section for testing out advances in versions. Will this be done with SDJ as well? Browsing the Feature Suggestions forum really shows that a lot of us are waiting (im)patiently for tons of forgotten or not yet included features.

Thanks for your help.

-Mike
Papa Midnight 8:24 PM - 14 July, 2014
I cannot speak on behalf of Serato, but there have indeed been public betas as new versions have been announced (specifically major revisions). Additionally, there is a present ongoing beta for improved support of Large Libraries - and comments have been taken with regards to bugs, user feedback, and feature suggests as well. Feel free to drop by: serato.com
Mike Czech 7:58 PM - 17 July, 2014
So then, I guess not?
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:05 PM - 21 July, 2014
Hi Mike Czech,

I am sorry to hear Serato DJ hasn't quite fulfilled your requirements. We do have plans for ongoing public betas, in fact the next version will have a public beta opening very soon, so keep a look out! We will probably make an announcement here and on our facebook too.

If you had to pick 3 things right now you would fix/change about Serato DJ, what would it be?
Jed 104 1:35 AM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Hi Mike Czech,

I am sorry to hear Serato DJ hasn't quite fulfilled your requirements. We do have plans for ongoing public betas, in fact the next version will have a public beta opening very soon, so keep a look out! We will probably make an announcement here and on our facebook too.

If you had to pick 3 things right now you would fix/change about Serato DJ, what would it be?

Hi Martin, could I suggest some?

1. Needle dropping resulting in internal mode at slow speed
2. Random glitches causing serious lag between platter manipulation and software response.
3. No ability to drag and reorder cue points.

Other minor issues include not being able to clearly see more the loops locations on the track overview waveform and SDJ starting with all the folder trees open. I'd also like the green auto loop light to come on when I load a track with a saved loop on it like it did in SSL but maybe thats just personal preference.

I've been coping with the above for ages with the only advice being roll back to SSL which is a bit of a pain in the butt when you've got used to the new look and layout of SDJ. Could I please ask whats taking so long?
Jed 104 1:36 AM - 24 July, 2014
*auto loop light is on my Sixty Two sorry I didn't mention that.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:43 AM - 24 July, 2014
Hi Jed 104,

You can totally suggest your top 3 - great to read feedback :)

Quote:
1. Needle dropping resulting in internal mode at slow speed

We think we should have this one resolved in the next version. As I mentioned above, there is a public beta opening soon, so you can try it out.

Quote:
2. Random glitches causing serious lag between platter manipulation and software response.

This is with your Sixty-Two correct? Thats a seriously horrible issue, its a bit hard to reproduce, but both Serato and Rane will be spending some time to investigate and hopefully resolve this asap too.

Quote:
3. No ability to drag and reorder cue points.

We are confident this will be included in the next release too, so you should be able to try it out in the beta coming soon.

Quote:
not being able to clearly see more the loops locations on the track

Do you think if we just brightened up the blue a bit it would be ok? Rather than using the green in Scratch Live?

Quote:
SDJ starting with all the folder trees open

Just to confirm, is that with your iTunes playlists, or with crates?

Quote:
I'd also like the green auto loop light to come on when I load a track with a saved loop on it like it did in SSL but maybe thats just personal preference.

Cool, I hear you man. I explained a little bit about why it is that way here: serato.com and we continue to gather feedback on whether we should change it or not.

Quote:
Could I please ask whats taking so long?

I am sorry, but its just a matter of prioritising many things. As you have seen we keep putting out releases and we have to do our best to resolve issues and implement features that are highly requested. Some of the things we are releasing may not be important to you, but they are important to others and its just a balance of that. We do our best to keep an even balance and work through everything that is reported but obviously it takes time.

You have taken the first step by being vocal on the forum, which is great - looking forward to further participation and feedback when we open up the next public beta. Its our priority to eventually get all these issues ironed out so everyone feels comfortable on the new platform.
DJ Compiler 5:56 AM - 24 July, 2014
Well if this is open to input I'd like to see:

1.) Syncable MIDI Clock - I'd take this or a deck type that could host a vst that way the audio output of the application I want to sync could run through my controllers mixer and FX and everything

2.) Key Shifting - Be nice to be able to transpose our songs independent of pitch for key mixing

3.) Clean Edit - or Serato Flips as I think they were called in the photo that Numark accidentally leaked ;)

If all these things were added I think I'd be the happiest DJ in the world
DJ Trice 11:44 AM - 24 July, 2014
Hi,
My ones are:

1> Midi mapping like in SSL (panel & functions like Loop Rolls, etc...)

2> A manual function to activate/Deactivate in Setup panel called: "SYNC CRATE TO FOLDER". We will just indicate the location of our library (must be compatible with: internal & external drives because for example i have my songs on internal and my video clips on external)

3> beat indicator for Slicer mode (there's no indication about the last value used: 1/1, 1/2...) like for auto loop (i don't know if i'm clear enough)
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:07 PM - 27 July, 2014
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Quote:
3.) Clean Edit - or Serato Flips as I think they were called in the photo that Numark accidentally leaked ;)

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

Quote:
1> Midi mapping like in SSL (panel & functions like Loop Rolls, etc...)

This will be in the next release. It will be included in the up and coming public beta.

Quote:
3> beat indicator for Slicer mode (there's no indication about the last value used: 1/1, 1/2...) like for auto loop (i don't know if i'm clear enough)

Sorry, I am a little confused. Do you mean like - when you enable Slicer, you are unsure what size the overall loop will be? You also have the same issue with auto loop, or are you saying slicer should have something like how auto loop has those size indicators on each deck to tell you what size the loop will be?
DJ Trice 8:43 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
...or are you saying slicer should have something like how auto loop has those size indicators on each deck to tell you what size the loop will be

Yes, that's it !!!
When you change the size indicator by pressing the button called "Parameter 1" on DDJ SZ, you don't have this size indication on SDJ screen.
Jed 104 10:43 AM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
not being able to clearly see more the loops locations on the track

Do you think if we just brightened up the blue a bit it would be ok? Rather than using the green in Scratch Live?

Yes that would be great but I'd like to see all the loops that are on the track before they are highlighted too, in SSL you could see the dimmer green band where all loops were before activating them.

Quote:
SDJ starting with all the folder trees open

Just to confirm, is that with your iTunes playlists, or with crates?

Its with the folders I setup in iTunes.

In particular reference to the platter lag issue I really understand its hard to replicate but the fact this can happen during a live performance should make it an emergency fix.

I feel like I've been pushed to move over to SDJ because SSL is no longer being supported I'm left vulnerable to its glitches. Granted it is only with the sixty two and thats Rane, but SDJ is advertised as the software to use when you buy this expensive bit of hardware. At the end of the day it's not 100% fit for use in performance and after all this time a Beta is not good enough it needs resolving now.

The frustration I have is that Serato obviously makes both bits of software. SSL software had no issue like this. Now Im no programmer but cant the code for the relevant bits just be transplanted from SSL or is that not possible?
Jed 104 10:54 AM - 28 July, 2014
To add to the above I'd be willing to run a monitoring program like Growl or something whilst DJ'ing to pinpoint the issue if needed, I'm sure other DJ's would too.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:32 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Yes, that's it !!!
When you change the size indicator by pressing the button called "Parameter 1" on DDJ SZ, you don't have this size indication on SDJ screen.

Cool, I thought so - thanks for confirming. Its not easy to think of what the best solution is here though. What would you suggest?

- First I thought, if slicer just respected the same values as auto loop, it could use the auto loop indicator on the screen too. I realised thats probably not ideal though because you wouldn't really ever want slicer under a certain size - it would be more inconvenient overall.
- In ITCH it displayed values in the deck area all the time. Finding space for these values in Serato DJ might be tricky though

One essential difference I notice with Serato DJ here is that the "rolling loop" is the primary Slicer mode, and fixed loop is secondary. In ITCH its the other way around. I think this makes things much better because if you activate the first mode of slicer (rolling loop) it actually shows you on the waveform (depending on your view etc) how big the loop is. Because it doesn't effect playback in anyway, it gives you opportunity to adjust the size of your loop before engaging in any slicer activities.

What it doesn't show you is the quantise, or "each slice" size. Perhaps this could be simply shown on the waveform in a slightly different color or something? What do you think?
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:12 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Yes that would be great but I'd like to see all the loops that are on the track before they are highlighted too, in SSL you could see the dimmer green band where all loops were before activating them.

Where are you seeing that in Scratch Live? On the waveform overview? I couldn't actually see that. Are you able to show me a picture or something where those green bands are showing? I think the problem could be that if you had 8 saved loops, things could get a little messy - but if we had some tidy indicator lines as you say, it would be helpful.

Quote:
Its with the folders I setup in iTunes.

Cool man, good to confirm. Its definitely on our list to fix.

Quote:
In particular reference to the platter lag issue I really understand its hard to replicate but the fact this can happen during a live performance should make it an emergency fix.

Trust me, it is being taken very seriously.

Quote:
I feel like I've been pushed to move over to SDJ because SSL is no longer being supported I'm left vulnerable to its glitches.

I apologise if thats the way you feel. We don't want to make you feel like you are forced to move to Serato DJ, its there if you want to try it out - but you don't have to right now if you aren't ready.

Quote:
At the end of the day it's not 100% fit for use in performance and after all this time a Beta is not good enough it needs resolving now.

We do have many DJs using Serato DJ for performance without problem. For others, we are working hard to iron out the remaining issues so everyone can use it without problem!

Quote:
The frustration I have is that Serato obviously makes both bits of software. SSL software had no issue like this. Now Im no programmer but cant the code for the relevant bits just be transplanted from SSL or is that not possible?

No, its not really that simple. You could do that, but its not an ideal thing to be doing. With this particular bug, Serato DJ handles the audio device very differently from Scratch Live, so I think its unlikely any copy/paste will help here.

Quote:
To add to the above I'd be willing to run a monitoring program like Growl or something whilst DJ'ing to pinpoint the issue if needed, I'm sure other DJ's would too.

That would be great actually! How often do you have this issue? Do you recall the last time and day you had this issue? Serato DJ writes logging files inside the _Serato_ folder, the file from that session might be handy to look at.
DJ Compiler 12:22 AM - 29 July, 2014
To resolve the slicer issue you could have a second highlight/indicator for the overall slice loop value that is a different color (red). This way the red slice marker and blue loop marker could coexist and be adjusted independently. If they occupy the same value you could have the value split between red and blue or display purple. Using this method you could also keep the red marker within the usable slicer bounds setting a minimum loop value and maximum loop value.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:42 AM - 29 July, 2014
Cool, yeah I was thinking something similar! As long as we got the balance of colors and transparency I think we could get it looking good without being too busy hopefully.
DJ Trice 9:41 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's it !!!

Cool, I thought so - thanks for confirming. Its not easy to think of what the best solution is here though. What would you suggest?

- First I thought, if slicer just respected the same values as auto loop, it could use the auto loop indicator on the screen too. I realised thats probably not ideal though because you wouldn't really ever want slicer under a certain size - it would be more inconvenient overall.

In fact, i would prefer this solution: Slicer respects the same value of Auto loop (also like for loop rolls"
By this way i know exactly how long my "Slice" will be because i will use the sames buttons as for loops rolls mode (i never look on screen to see how long is my loop because i know and got in mind by listening the music is playing what will be 1/4 - 1/2 - 1/1 .... if i press a button)
Jed 104 10:20 AM - 2 September, 2014
Can anyone tell me if the issue with the glitch on platter lag and the sixty two mixer has been fixed in 1.7? I didn't see it in the notes and it keeps happening to me!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:17 AM - 3 September, 2014
Hey Jed 104

This thread has the best information on this issue: serato.com

I'm going to keep updating there as any new information comes through.

Cheers
Aaron