Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

GO NUMARK!!!!

blackavenger 4:25 PM - 14 July, 2014
www.numark.com

I was wondering when some company would do this. I have been waiting for an NS6 successor, but I didn't expect anything like this!
jprime 4:33 PM - 14 July, 2014
I can where this would be embraced, but I don't support it personally.
dj Krazey leo 4:56 PM - 14 July, 2014
Holy crap!!!!!!
blackavenger 5:06 PM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
I can where this would be embraced, but I don't support it personally.

Neither do I. I was just complimenting Numark on doing something different. Personally, I was hoping that the NS6's successor would have been a clone of the NS7II, but without the motorized platters. This is really cool, but nothing I am going to spend my money on.

I think the NV is the precursor to this -

www.digitaldjtips.com
haze324 6:40 PM - 14 July, 2014
Quote:
www.numark.com

I was wondering when some company would do this. I have been waiting for an NS6 successor, but I didn't expect anything like this!

We just posted the other day, How is Numark going to seperate itself with most controllers now looking like an DDJ-SX,SZ, NS7II, etc.

This is pretty neat!
Davideon 6:58 PM - 14 July, 2014
The actual controller looks quite simple IMHO. I can't see how you can control all the software from the controller effectively (like changing effects, setup etc)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 7:10 PM - 14 July, 2014
You can't access the setup screen on the controller BBD. You can see the FX though and select + control these on the controller with on-screen feedback.

If you look at the image at the top of the blog post you can see the FX controls to the bottom of the screen.

serato.com

Sam.
Davideon 9:12 PM - 14 July, 2014
Ok so how does one change the setup options, and rearrange the library adding crates etc?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:51 PM - 14 July, 2014
Using your laptop :)
hologram 12:22 AM - 15 July, 2014
Nice!
One question.
When will we truly be free from physical media. It's the last step and the easiest step.
I put the idea in the forums when the 57 came out.
Dual freaking USB should be standard not an option.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:40 AM - 15 July, 2014
seems to be a new update coming to the sampler aswell or else a new feature serato flip or something, was on djworx and the comments have since been removed leading me to believe there is some truth to it
Davideon 7:10 AM - 17 July, 2014
Poor Numark. The nearly men of DJ gear
Daniel Ventura 11:03 AM - 17 July, 2014
why two Displays on a controller? it makes way more sense to agregate the two Screens into one and it would be cheaper?
Ragman 7:29 PM - 17 July, 2014
Quote:
why two Displays on a controller? it makes way more sense to agregate the two Screens into one and it would be cheaper?

I can only assume they didn't consult working DJs during the pilot phase.
DJ Baby Raj 6:35 AM - 18 July, 2014
So when is the DDJ-SZ releasing with 2 HID screens?
serkan 7:48 AM - 18 July, 2014
Quote:

The screens look like smartphone sized ones. You can get them very cheap as they are mass produced by even the smallest and cheapest companies nowadays.
A single screen would've been very custom sized which will probably cost more than 10 regular sized, I guess.

And I think it's the better choice for the working DJ anyway (classic 2 decks and a mixer style).
Daniel Ventura 7:51 AM - 18 July, 2014
you also need 2 Display Controller and i think it is more work to implement 2 different Displays into the Software/hid stack
hologram 5:52 PM - 18 July, 2014
Quote:
you also need 2 Display Controller and i think it is more work to implement 2 different Displays into the Software/hid stack

Any standard video processors can handle at least two screens. to the video processor it can be addressed as a single screen next to each other and programing wouldn't even know the difference.
hologram 6:06 PM - 18 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I can only assume they didn't consult working DJs during the pilot phase.

Because no working DJ uses USB on CDjs with two screen. or closes their laptop with red box on a nexus system. I mean who does that?
blackavenger 8:07 PM - 18 July, 2014
Doesn't a MBP trap heat when it's closed whilst powered on?
Ragman 8:37 PM - 18 July, 2014
Quote:

Not if the screen turns off when closed.
blackavenger 3:53 AM - 19 July, 2014
Good to know....thanks, Ragman.
shadow23 5:19 AM - 19 July, 2014
I personally wouldn't mind playing with the NV.
AlxRyde 6:55 AM - 19 July, 2014
I was going to swap out my NS6 to a VCI-400 for portability and VU meters.
Then this comes out >.>

Now if only we could get the full Library view and Serato Video on the displays...a dude can dream :P
hologram 5:22 PM - 19 July, 2014
Quote:
I was going to swap out my NS6 to a VCI-400 for portability and VU meters.
Then this comes out >.>

Now if only we could get the full Library view and Serato Video on the displays...a dude can dream :P

+1
BeatWiz 11:35 PM - 20 July, 2014
Quote:

Totally agree! Cheaper or not - overlaid waveforms is a necessity. If you can only see a single track's waveform on these screens - then what's the purpose? Maybe to spot where cue points are set, but when you want to beat mix /, find new songs etc - then you would still have to look on your computer screen....sighh. More a marketing gimmick than a really useful feature IMHO.
Davideon 6:38 AM - 21 July, 2014
Maybe they were trying to give it a look more akin to the standard 2 cdj setup, not realising that is a modular set up
Daniel Ventura 7:14 AM - 21 July, 2014
maybe they work with a Phase meter like Traktor or rekordbox etc.?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:31 AM - 21 July, 2014
It's size might be a deal breaker for me. They say it the size of an S4 and to me that's small and I don't like small controllers.

As for the guy complaining about waves not being side by side, what did you do before software?? And really you shouldn't be staring at your screen the whole night just to line up the waves......
Daniel Ventura 1:27 PM - 21 July, 2014
i'm in this buisness for over 15years now - no Need for waveforms on Displays but it simply makes no sense to use 2 Displays on a all in one ctrl.
hologram 4:33 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree! Cheaper or not - overlaid waveforms is a necessity. If you can only see a single track's waveform on these screens - then what's the purpose? Maybe to spot where cue points are set, but when you want to beat mix /, find new songs etc - then you would still have to look on your computer screen....sighh. More a marketing gimmick than a really useful feature IMHO.

Bah beet mix with your ear and you can switch the screen to look for songs.
hologram 4:33 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:

As for the guy complaining about waves not being side by side, what did you do before software?? And really you shouldn't be staring at your screen the whole night just to line up the waves......

+10
Ragman 6:08 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+10

I think the point is a comparison to what Serato offers using a laptop as opposed to a hardware company trying to add some of those features on their controller. If you're going to do it, do it right. I've used my ears for about 25 years now. I see no harm in adding my eyes to assist me. Plus, if done right, the colored waveform technology is pretty bad azz in my opinion. Oh, and I still maintain my old school card. ;-)
haze324 6:13 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
Maybe they were trying to give it a look more akin to the standard 2 cdj setup, not realising that is a modular set up

+1
Ragman 6:21 PM - 21 July, 2014
Quote:
It's size might be a deal breaker for me. They say it the size of an S4 and to me that's small and I don't like small controllers.

Ahhh.. there you are. It wasn't a complaint. Just an observation which I hope the next hardware company will implement correctly. It had nothing to do with what or how I do my gigs. It was just a remark on a new controller. Nothing more, nothing less. For what it's worth, I will never stop using my ears when I mix. That would be kinda of creepy. And the comment about lining up waves all night was a little over the top don't you think???
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:41 PM - 21 July, 2014
No not really, I read it and that's how I interpreted it. If that wasn't or isn't how you meant it to come across then I'm sorry but we both know djs who stare at the screen all night lining up waves.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:32 AM - 22 July, 2014
Looks very cheap and nasty! And is also priced cheap for a world first feature! Looks very low budget not up there with the NS7 V7 NS7mkll or NS6 build quality (by looking at the pictures and price point)

Also you have to hack with some software to close a mac lid and this also makes it over heat! Even with the screen turned off. As the heat can no longer come through the keyboard and aluminium palm rest.
Numark need to be carefull advertising people to hack there mac then shut the lid. Or they could have some seriously pissed users!

Also if you are no longer looking at your laptop screen how does this controller now make you a better dj? You will just now have controller face insted of serato face lol.

Plus you will still need to look at the laptop!

Nice idea but i agree ONE screen would have been better and still you the laptop.

But to me this looks like Numark junk and it will test the market. Then Numark might refine this screen idea and put it into one of there pro line controllers like an NS6mkll
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:18 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:

As far as I know, air is pulled in between the keys and flows back out at the lids hinge.
So yes, your macbook would heat up more and depending on how much strain you put on it, that might become an issue.

But apple describes clamshell mode as a supported mode: support.apple.com

I would personally not close the lid though. Put the laptop out of the way, but leave it open. ;)
Dokumentary 10:02 AM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Also you have to hack with some software to close a mac lid and this also makes it over heat! Even with the screen turned off. As the heat can no longer come through the keyboard and aluminium palm rest.
Numark need to be carefull advertising people to hack there mac then shut the lid. Or they could have some seriously pissed users!

Wait... what?

Why would anyone "hack" their Macbook just to close the lid? There's several safe and reliable programs that allow you to close the lid and have the screen turned off. I use NoSleep. Caffeine is another well known app that makes this possible. It's available for free in the Mac App store and has been promoted in the "featured" section as well as being a past Editors Choice on the App store's front page so, def not a hack.

I've used NoSleep while processing videos in Premiere Pro and Mixemergency as well as analyzing songs in SDJ. You just have to be smart and test it out. Don't close the lid and forget about it. Check periodically to see that the underside doesn't get hot and the fans aren't spinning up.

MacBooks dissipate heat from the back as well as ventilating from the top of the lower section (keyboard area). So, like Karl Y said, it's all about how much strain you put on it.

Also, why would Numark tell you to close the lid on your laptop? How would you choose songs/playlists? There's tons of stuff that the NV can't do without SDJ open on your laptop. I mean, there's literally a "panel" buttons on the NV that controls how SDJ appears on your laptop. Unless SDJ is getting an iPad app between now and when the NV is released, then this thing is surely meant to be used with a laptop.

I think some people (not necessarily you Woolsey) are confusing this: www.digitaldjtips.com with this. Believe me... This is not that.
blackavenger 1:59 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

As far as I know, air is pulled in between the keys and flows back out at the lids hinge.
So yes, your macbook would heat up more and depending on how much strain you put on it, that might become an issue.

I would personally not close the lid though. Put the laptop out of the way, but leave it open. ;)

Quote:

Thank you, that's what I thought. By the way, I never had any intention on using my Mac with the lid closed, screen off or not.

I'm sorry, Numark, but Y'all should have kept this idea under wraps until you were able to put a processor and SeratoDJ in there natively. The dual screens on the NV just seem so hopelessly redundant to me. It looks really cool on paper, but pointless in practice. Any chance we can have a different NS6 update? Yeah, I didn't think so....looks like a used SZ or SX is in my future....when I was so looking forward to an NS6MKII. Oh well.
Robbie O 3:27 PM - 22 July, 2014
Not sure why there is so much hate on this offering???

This looks more like a mix track pro improvement then an NS6 replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if we are in the mist of a complete product offering upgrade with screens starting with the NV, NS6 then NS7.

Regardless Numark is trying something different and it's marketing the NV at the S4, VCI, Reloop Terminal crowd. Which in comparison to those, the NV looks really good. Some even complain about the price point lol. I Like this as a back up unit and for gigs I don't want to break out the heavy artillery
dj Krazey leo 3:48 PM - 22 July, 2014
+1
hologram 5:42 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Wait what?
I use my Mac Pro with an external monitor at home both the 17 and the new retina with the top closed. It never overheats. Even playing games. The apple community would come unglued if you couldn't do this.
hologram 5:44 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Not sure why there is so much hate on this offering???

This looks more like a mix track pro improvement then an NS6 replacement. I wouldn't be surprised if we are in the mist of a complete product offering upgrade with screens starting with the NV, NS6 then NS7.

Regardless Numark is trying something different and it's marketing the NV at the S4, VCI, Reloop Terminal crowd. Which in comparison to those, the NV looks really good. Some even complain about the price point lol. I Like this as a back up unit and for gigs I don't want to break out the heavy artillery

just having something I can get on the plane with the same features as a 6 was enough for me. Bigger than a mixtrackpro and smaller than a 6. but I like the screen option since I've been getting more into just taking a USB stick for CDJ gigs or "Putting the laptop on the side closed" when its a nexus system.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:47 PM - 22 July, 2014
Sorry i guess hack was a strong word i guess unsupported be better as you can not do this in the os as a feature and need to use software that has basically done a little hack.

Jesus macs get red hot with lid up i guess it would fry closed. But ya i don't see why the selling point has been made about hiding the laptop.

Just advertise the screens as more info infront of you.

Also i wouldn't want the cpu built into the controller as then it would be crappy windows.
Dokumentary 5:53 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
Also i wouldn't want the cpu built into the controller as then it would be crappy windows.

Windows propably. And most likely an ARM CPU or some other type of mobile processor. Def not powerful enough compared to a laptop. Plus, who's gonna port Mixemergency over to the controller software? Lol...
blackavenger 6:05 PM - 22 July, 2014
Quote:
just having something I can get on the plane with the same features as a 6 was enough for me.

There is no "Strip Search"......just sayin'.
hologram 12:18 AM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
just having something I can get on the plane with the same features as a 6 was enough for me.

WHAT!
hologram 12:21 AM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

WHAT!

I don't really use it that much but @$*)(%&*@#$()_%&*#$*
XRM5 2:19 AM - 23 July, 2014
The 2 separate screens make a little sense if Numark is planning for the pro version of this to be a modular player-only controller designed to replace a CDJ.
deejdave 2:27 AM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Ahhh.. there you are

LOL
blackavenger 3:44 AM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:

I use it enough to not want a controller that doesn't have it.
Daniel Ventura 1:17 PM - 23 July, 2014
www.digitaldjtips.com

and this device is over 3 years old...
blackavenger 1:37 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
www.digitaldjtips.com

and this device is over 3 years old...

Why not just come out w' an updated unit? It's cool to add FLAC support, and their own version of Slip Mode, but when you don't have any kind of Needle Search or even something as basic as Frequency Gains, it still leaves a lot to be desired. Also, have any of you actually messed around w' this thing? Feels so cheap......fragile even. Then again, you can buy one brand new for like $250.
Robbie O 2:18 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I use it enough to not want a controller that doesn't have it.

You do realize that there is no strip search on the S4, SR & Reloop Terminal 8 right? And IMO the NV is marketed to that crowd... VCI 380 (a bit dated now) I think is only controller in that range with it...

Can we just accept the NV for what it is? Whats funny is if pioneer came out with the same thing the crowds would be throwing praises and not stones lol
deejdave 2:27 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Feels so cheap......fragile even.

Uhhh yeah!! Played with one in Best Buy. I mean the thing doesn't use a computer (external computer at least) and it still had lag. Seemed to SYNC everything nicely though for anyone who is interested in that. Unfortunately that is the last thing that interests me.

BTW It had frequency gains (as High, mid & low are frequencies) but it did not have channel gains if that is what you mean.

Quote:
You do realize that there is no strip search on the S4, SR & Reloop Terminal 8 right?

Yes but the NV is marketed as a resource allowing you to "close the lid" which is not feasible without this IMO.

Quote:
Can we just accept the NV for what it is? Whats funny is if pioneer came out with the same thing the crowds would be throwing praises and not stones lol

While I am up in arms with Pioneer ATM I disagree with this. Pioneer tends to add things the KNOW works for a working DJ. Even when THEY add something that is not all that great plenty of people call them on it dare I mention the oscillator and the Horn. All I can say is WRONG!!!

I do however agree that the NV is marketed toward the beginner controller crowd quite obviously. If no other reason than Price alone. This is the perfect opportunity as I have been thinking of getting a beginner controller. I was looking at the DDJ-SB but after a run in with Pioneer and their (lack of) support team) I am not sure if I will be supporting their cause anymore so the NV may just be the answer for me. A year ago I'd say hell no but after giving the NS7II a chance I am willing to venture further into the realms of Numark. Let's hope that same build quality is there as I am on the fence about Numark still and one more bad experience (on top of the YEARS of bad experiences) would be enough to lock my opinion in permanently .................................... NO PRESSURE NUMARK!!!! LOL.
Robbie O 2:48 PM - 23 July, 2014
@deejdave I feel you. good points. It just seems to me people are still butthurt about Numark and their past performance. I've only been DJing for 8 years now and Numarks Controllers (NS7 & NS7II) have been nothing but great to me (I didnt like the NS6 thou, pitch res). So its hard for me to relate with the hate. The NV isn't perfect, but its marketed to the semi newbie crowd. I was looking for a travel unit/back up unit and if the screens arent an epic fail, I'll probably get the NV.

I have Pioneer gear as well, but I get tired of the over the top love-affair I see with them...I find their name funny, they are not Pioneers, but copy and improve specialists (sad truth is most well know businesses do this as well). I respect Numark for pushing the envelope, well at least in the controller department.
blackavenger 3:45 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
You do realize that there is no strip search on the S4, SR & Reloop Terminal 8 right? And IMO the NV is marketed to that crowd... VCI 380 (a bit dated now) I think is only controller in that range with it...

I'm upset because this is not a successor to the NS6, and that is what I was hoping for from Numark. I prefer Numark's build quality, pitch faders, and symmetrical layout to that of Pioneer. So, now that this is out, there probably won't be an NS6mkII. That's why I am "throwing stones".

Quote:
BTW It had frequency gains (as High, mid & low are frequencies) but it did not have channel gains if that is what you mean.

Yeah, Deejdave, I meant channel gains.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:12 PM - 23 July, 2014
Instead of a 'strip search' I believe Numark has a button you press called 'search' and then you move the jog wheel. It's like an ultra fast forward/rewind.

At least that's how it is on my Mixdeck and Mixdeck Quad. Works quite well.

I do like what there thinking and how there going with this but it's the size I'm worried about. An S4 is just too small for my liking, so I'm hoping this is just the first version of these. Now if this thing was the size of an SX or SZ I'd probably jump on it.
hologram 4:38 PM - 23 July, 2014
Quote:
Instead of a 'strip search' I believe Numark has a button you press called 'search' and then you move the jog wheel. It's like an ultra fast forward/rewind.

At least that's how it is on my Mixdeck and Mixdeck Quad. Works quite well.

I do like what there thinking and how there going with this but it's the size I'm worried about. An S4 is just too small for my liking, so I'm hoping this is just the first version of these. Now if this thing was the size of an SX or SZ I'd probably jump on it.

I was wondering if you could use the Knob next to the screen for the same thing but found nothing on it. Guess I'll go cruise the Numark forums..
Davideon 5:23 PM - 23 July, 2014
@deejdave what issues you had with pioneer? You must have more pio gear than them!
deejdave 6:06 PM - 23 July, 2014
A HORRIBLE support case story. I didn't want to bore anyone with my sob story but anyone who knows me knows how much I love (or loved as I am not sure how I feel about them now) Pioneer and how much I defended them. Always tried to find the good and sometimes even made excuses for them. To face the support (or lack of as I said) I did left me lost. I was rarely able to get through to them by phone which was VERY rare for various reasons such as 2 hr. training which really meant 5 hours, a 1-800 number that had a busy signal for 4 hours at a time & simply nobody answering. Even when i did get through to them They flat out lied to me on multiple occasions.

I waited until after the hustle & frenzy of people returning their units for a reason and I ended up waiting longer than most. To start I was quoted a week turnaround time (like many here who were) and it turned out to be over a month without my controller. This led to a HUGE problem as I only sent it in when the quoted me a week as I was moving into my new home I had purchased the month before. My move in date was July 4th and that was almost a month a way so I figured (being quoted a week) I had plenty of time................... BIG MISTAKE!! It took me almost a whole week to finally get someone on the phone to tell them NOT to ship it to my old address. Little did I know the unit hadn't even been touched yet and I had plenty of time.

parts.pioneerelectronics.com I have not blocked out anything as I have nothing to hide here.

When I made the official complaint I was told that I may have been calling the old 1-800 number (LOL yet it is the one listed right on the support page so we all know it is the current one) and get this.............

"When Pioneer quoted you one week, that likely didn't include transit time, so probably a miscommunication on their behalf for that - and that's assuming they quoted you with having the required parts in stock. If they needed more parts, it could have taken longer. The good news is that you DID get your package back on the date it was promised (as per the shipment tracking info - which is not Pioneer's control if it's late) and while it was not within the time you expected, Pioneer did deliver on repairing and returning your SZ."

from a Pioneer rep themselves. Basically "Well you ended up getting your unit so we're good as far as we're concerned"

I don't know what to think here. All I know as I stated to them is I lost my excitement so much that I still have yet to unpack my CDJ's & mixers. I have been using the SX here & there to play music for me and I have used my SZ for testing purposes only although I did extensively test to ensure it was good. Best of all I still have the issues I though they would fix being they were aware of them............... The "beats" knob moving like a joystick, The back panel peeling off (the plastic part), etc. I mean all things considered I still prefer my SZ over my NS7II (don't hate it's JUST a preference) and the build is not all THAT bad being it is sound and by no means going to break but I have no doubts the NS7II was made better and I just feel ripped off is all. Not because of what happened BUT when I pay top dollar I expect TOP NOTCH support. Let's see if they add scrolling waveforms to my precious CDJ-2000Nexus's or simply release the CDJ-2000NexusMKII which has it rendering my setup obsolete ONCE again.

That was my favorite line in my complaint. forums.pioneerdj.com when he said The Numark NV could NEVER make my pioneer gear obsolete and I said "I am not worried about the NV making my Pioneer's obsolete................................ I am worried about Pioneer making my Pioneer's obsolete."

All this goes a step further in what my future will hold. As MANY people here know I like to share the wealth and when something is released I find the best price possible and share it with everyone. Due to my preferences it has been almost exclusively Pioneer. With these recent events in mind I will not be putting much effort (I don't plan to anyways) into Pioneer gear and will be broadening my horizons. First step I may make my Rane 64 my primary. I can't do the same with my NS7II as it just does not offer as much as my SZ but I will be actively searching for the answer.

In the meantime if anyone is in the market for a Numark NS7II I got mine for $1199 brand new out the door from an authorized retailer. Again for anyone who knows me you probably know the name of said retailer as it is the same I always go with.

That being said I will let you all know the price they will be offering the NV for when they release it as I am sure as always they will have the best price out there.

Whatever LIFE goes on. Back to the NV and sorry for the sidetrack.
AlxRyde 5:03 PM - 25 July, 2014
Mwah, I'm actually ok with the lack of strip search ;..;
On my NS6 I felt it was more intuitive to use the skip button to locate myself in a track. You hold the button, then use the jog wheel to move through the track; if the track is playing it stays in time too (which is probably why I defaulted to using it to scroll through tracks, just got used to using it more).

With that said, I can definitely see this as a less "pro" level controller as opposed to the NS6's status. I guess Numark has delegated that role more to their NS7II for now. But I was really looking to get a roadie, less heavy lifting controller anyhow after lugging the NS6 around, and it competes well with the vci400, reloop, s4 and the like. At the least, the NV's VU meters, filter knobs, updated FX controls, and slip mode button are a massive plus from the NS6.

One thing that has me piqued is the start stop sync placement, vertical as opposed to horizontal on the NS6. More Pioneer like. Which is good, that familiarity factor what I was going for with the dual screens especially.