DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RANE TTM57 mixer choice - help greatly appreciated

chook1567 5:16 AM - 8 July, 2014
hi. im completely new to serato and the rane-searto mixers. i have previously only mixed vinyl but am looking to upgrade to serato as records are becoming too expensive. i was looking at buying the TTM57 as i liked the idea of serato being built into the mixer, what version of serato does the TTM57 have built in though? is it just SL1? i have also read that once serato DJ comes out the TTM57 and SL1 will no longer be supported, what exactly does this mean? i have bought a shitty old macbook that has SL1 installed and im looking at buying either a rane-SL mixer or a standard mixer and a serato box. im looking to spend as little money as possible. i dont care about serato DJ, future upgrades or anything i just want a standard, reliable piece of software/mixer that i can play mp3s through and that will still allow me to play my records, is buying the TTM57 a good option for me?

any help would be greatly appreciated, i live in a small city in the south island of new zealand and there is nowhere here that can give me this sort of advice. thanks in advance for any help
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:54 PM - 8 July, 2014
Although the 57 will work and will continue to work with Scratch Live there will come a time where newer computers won't work with the mixer. I don't know when this will happen. Any current computers will work with the 57 though.
If you wanted to safe guard yourself from incompatibility issues with new computers I would suggest purchasing a 61 or 62.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:56 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:
i have also read that once serato DJ comes out the TTM57 and SL1 will no longer be supported, what exactly does this mean?

This just means that Serato and Rane will not be putting out any further updates.
It doesn't mean that the mixer or software will stop working with the current versions that are available. You will also always be able to get technical support from us.