Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ SX MK2?

Certified Quality Entertainment 9:09 PM - 23 June, 2014
Anyone think that Pioneer will be releasing a DDJ-SX MK2??

The SX has been around for close to 2 years now right. I know the SZ is still pretty new obviously, but just curious if anyone thinks an SX MK2 is in the works anytime soon? If so, what do you think the improvements would be to still keep it below the SZ, but obviously add some newness to it?

Short wish list of items from me if I could improve the SX, but not make it an SZ. Keeping the same size as the current SX
- Fix mic distortion issue once and for all
- Dedicated mic input (can use a channel for a 2nd mic, but at least 1 dedicated mic input
- Get rid of dual deck mode (others may use it, but I don't).
- 2 Laptop compatibility (like the SZ)
- Better sound quality

That's pretty much it from me, that would make it a perfect controller (for my needs anyway).
deejdave 11:01 PM - 23 June, 2014
No I don't think there will be a DDJ-SX 2. Pioneer flat out said the DDJ-SZ completed the DDJ product line and there hasn't been a DDJ release or reveal since. Not a definite way of knowing but it sure is pretty damn close.

Quote:
- 2 Laptop compatibility (like the SZ)

BTW you just tacked on a $500 feature which pretty much guarantees you will either not be happy with the price or will be let down if it were omitted.

Why not just spring for the SZ? The size/weight thing I can understand but other than that.............. Also remember Pioneer knows that adding ANYTHING the SZ has exclusively on a product of lesser value would only deter people from buying the SZ. For instance if they released a controller with the color coded pads & dual sound cards for less I would have purchased it (hell I would still now) yet because they didn't they got another almost $1700 from me for the SZ. Also keep in mind adding the features you mention is another sure bet of getting this "DDJ-SX2" to be closer to the $1700 SZ price than the $800 SX.

Don't get it twisted I would love nothing more than this to become a reality as I am looking for an in between of the SX & the SZ. (As a side note if you haven't actually seen the Sb in person I finally did and I actually like it very much)

Anyway to answer your question bluntly no I don't think they will only because Pioneer flat out said they won't be releasing any new DDJ products.
Big Pops 1:56 AM - 24 June, 2014
The SB is a perfect size, however I don't like how the Jogs don't light up like the DDJ SX.
deejdave 2:02 AM - 24 June, 2014
Yeah I know what you mean. TBH I 100% thought they did with seeing how identical they are when the unit is not on. Then again for it being USB powered it offers plenty. Could not get over how light the unit was. The platter also feels lighter in weight to me although supposedly it is the same aluminum platter used on the SX. Makes the other beginner (SDJ Intro) controllers look even more like toys though. Good stuff!
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:02 AM - 24 June, 2014
At some point I think there would be a new version. They said it completes the line, but didn't say we are done making controllers.

Size is more the reason I'm not springing for the sz. 2 laptop compatability is not a deal beaker at all just a nice to have. Don't think that's a $500 feature. Don't need to control external sources via soundcard, just ability to hook up 2 laptops via Serato Dj.

Never know. Just curious other peoples opinions.

Maybe they don't label it under the ddj line. But I can't see them not making any more controllers.
deejdave 2:04 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
At some point I think there would be a new version. They said it completes the line, but didn't say we are done making controllers.

Exactly. I can guarantee they will be releasing more controllers in the future. I was answering specifically to the DDJ-SX2 inquiry.
deejdave 2:08 AM - 24 June, 2014
Again this is just what I "think" this in no way means I wouldn't welcome it with open arms........... because I would. I think if the ever considered an MKII the SX is the prime candidate being its unmatched success in the controller world. I mean prior to the SX and until the SZ there were "controllers" then there was the SX.

I can say without hesitation that literally half the time I ask my customers what hardware they have the answer is the SX. Then again I deal with digital DJ's (DJ's who use Serato, Traktor or Rekordbox) only.
irieproductions 12:30 PM - 25 June, 2014
the DDJ-SX MK2 its a must, they need to apply the same fix to the jog wheels they applied to the DDJ-SZ (this is top priority), they could also add color coded pads and maybe other little surprise here and there in combination with Serato.

They won't affect DDJ-SZ sales just because of the color pads, most of the SZ users got the controller due to the large jog wheels and having a true CDJ-like experience, also the DVS functionality and dual soundcard. I doubt they will ever add dual soundcards to the SX and DVS.
Culprit 5:19 PM - 25 June, 2014
Man to be honest I think the lineup is done. Look at it from an investment point of view. They would need to burn through the current stock first. I would, and I would also think to myself would people buy the unit with cheaper v1 units floating around?

A poll is what is needed to catch pioneers attention.
DJ NoNseNse 6:07 AM - 7 August, 2014
Mk2 coming this year
Davideon 6:52 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Mk2 coming this year

Stop it. Some people actually believe you
Kepik 7:08 AM - 7 August, 2014
BAM it's happening!

pioneerdj.com
boabmatic 7:09 AM - 7 August, 2014
DJ NoNseNse 7:12 AM - 7 August, 2014
I was right serato.com
blackavenger 7:17 AM - 7 August, 2014
Everything appears to be improved upon except the freakin' Sampler Volume fader. Why keep it as a fader? The SZ delegated it to a Rotary Pot.....I was really hoping the next iteration of the SX would follow suit. Such a waste of space.
djkurve 7:21 AM - 7 August, 2014
Wonder what the price point on this is going to be......
djkurve 7:22 AM - 7 August, 2014
I actually wouldn't mind getting this over the DDJ SZ. Smaller, lighter, and it supports DVS!
blackavenger 7:23 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I actually wouldn't mind getting this over the DDJ SZ. Smaller, lighter, and it supports DVS!

Likewise.....and post-fader SDJ effects as well ;-)
PsioNix 7:23 AM - 7 August, 2014
djkurve 7:26 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Likewise.....and post-fader SDJ effects as well ;-)

+1
djkurve 7:27 AM - 7 August, 2014
Oh plus this one is midi mappable!
deejdave 7:29 AM - 7 August, 2014
What do you mean its midi mappable?
blackavenger 7:30 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Wonder what the price point on this is going to be......

Probably the same as the OG SX.....or at least I hope it is ;-)
blackavenger 7:31 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:

Yeah, does that mean we can change the mapping....if so, I am totally sold!
deejdave 7:31 AM - 7 August, 2014
But then you gotta pay the $99 DVS upgrade to use it............... not that it's not worth it.
djkurve 7:38 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

lol! I misread it. It says, "MIDI compatible"

#wammy
djkurve 7:39 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
But then you gotta pay the $99 DVS upgrade to use it............... not that it's not worth it.

They should have done a free DVS upgrade for the first 10,000 units instead of free Flip plugin.
blackavenger 7:39 AM - 7 August, 2014
I think that's worth it. But it would have been amazing if they had included Sends/Returns w' this updated SX. Then it would have been nearly perfect.
deejdave 7:39 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

#wammy

I know I just wanted to see you say it LOL
djkurve 7:40 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

They should have done a free DVS upgrade for the first 10,000 units instead of free Flip plugin.

But at this point at least that's a better deal than a free Serato Video code. LOL!
djkurve 7:40 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

#wammy

I know I just wanted to see you say it LOL

Got too excited.. haha!
djkurve 7:42 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I think that's worth it. But it would have been amazing if they had included Sends/Returns w' this updated SX. Then it would have been nearly perfect.

That will be in the upcoming release of the DDJ RX
deejdave 7:45 AM - 7 August, 2014
I hate to be the one to go against the crowd but I'm getting pretty sick of Pioneer's releasing schedule. I've been buying nothing but Pioneer (for the most part) for the past 5 years and now I am getting scared of trusting anything they release. Being the NV was just released and this new SX Doesn't have the screens it does I'm afraid there will be a competitor to it within the next few months. It's like no decision is a good one with Pioneer. I have all their top gear (900SRT, 2000Nexus's, RMX-500, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ, etc) and yet I feel they have 1000% more interest in releasing new products (to get more revenue) instead of supporting what they have.

Quote:

EXACTLY my point.
djkurve 7:49 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I hate to be the one to go against the crowd but I'm getting pretty sick of Pioneer's releasing schedule. I've been buying nothing but Pioneer (for the most part) for the past 5 years and now I am getting scared of trusting anything they release. Being the NV was just released and this new SX Doesn't have the screens it does I'm afraid there will be a competitor to it within the next few months. It's like no decision is a good one with Pioneer. I have all their top gear (900SRT, 2000Nexus's, RMX-500, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SZ, etc) and yet I feel they have 1000% more interest in releasing new products (to get more revenue) instead of supporting what they have.

Quote:

EXACTLY my point.

blackavenger 7:50 AM - 7 August, 2014
I disagree, Dave. They have been pretty reserved w' their hardware line. It's just the controller line that they have been releasing like crazy. Wouldn't you expect that from a controller line? I know I do. There will always be some new controller being released because as a new feature is introduced the the software, the controller counterpart needs to come out to support it.

In other words, don't buy a controller with the expectation that it will be out for a couple years before something new/shiny comes along to replace it.
deejdave 7:51 AM - 7 August, 2014
I never thought they would do a direct DDJ-SX remake and was wrong. "The DDJ-SZ completes our DDJ controller lineup" they said .................BULLLLLLLLSHITTTTTTT!!!! so I am assuming my DDJ-SP1 will be the next piece made obsolete by the company I USED to trust so much.
djkurve 7:52 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I never thought they would do a direct DDJ-SX remake and was wrong. "The DDJ-SZ completes our DDJ controller lineup" they said .................BULLLLLLLLSHITTTTTTT!!!! so I am assuming my DDJ-SP1 will be the next piece made obsolete by the company I USED to trust so much.

It's already obsolete...

serato.com
djkurve 7:53 AM - 7 August, 2014
Different company, but you get the point....
blackavenger 7:53 AM - 7 August, 2014
Oh yeah, you can bet there will be a DDJ-SP2 announced shortly. And next year, a DDJ-SZ mkII as well.
deejdave 7:56 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I disagree, Dave. They have been pretty reserved w' their hardware line. It's just the controller line that they have been releasing like crazy. Wouldn't you expect that from a controller line? I know I do. There will always be some new controller being released because as a new feature is introduced the the software, the controller counterpart needs to come out to support it.

In other words, don't buy a controller with the expectation that it will be out for a couple years before something new/shiny comes along to replace it.

I am assuming you don't own CDJ-2000's or deal with the support team over at Pioneer. It's not so much that they release controllers. As I said if it's top tier I buy it as I probably will buy this one (although I shouldn't) so I obviously support many of their controller concepts. I just would like to see this much effort put into support. I just went through HELL with them with getting my SZ repaired (Another topic altogether and it was way worse than the already bad sensor issue most had) and I was already on the fence as it was with Pio.

Oh well the world goes on. The kiddies will still be buying these controllers and if you can't beat em..............
deejdave 7:57 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It's already obsolete...

serato.com

LOL I will let you know when I get them but I hardly think they will live up to my SP1. I mean MAYBE, ya NEVER know but I can honestly say I LOVE my SP1.
djkurve 7:57 AM - 7 August, 2014
The controller market is outta control..... I use to be able to keep up on it, but at this rate I give up....I'm done spending money for something that just has a new feature or two every 6 months.
djkurve 7:59 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's already obsolete...

serato.com

LOL I will let you know when I get them but I hardly think they will live up to my SP1. I mean MAYBE, ya NEVER know but I can honestly say I LOVE my SP1.

And....
www.rouge18.com
deejdave 7:59 AM - 7 August, 2014
I honestly wish EVERYONE would stop so we could teach a lesson on supporting what you already sold us. Stop trying to GET more and start GIVING more.
blackavenger 7:59 AM - 7 August, 2014
I wouldn't hold your breath expecting Pioneer to behave like Rane when it comes to support. Pioneer is a multi-billion dollar trans-national corporation.....Rane is a small North American company. The bigger they become, the less they care about their customers. Just a fact.
blackavenger 8:01 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I honestly wish EVERYONE would stop so we could teach a lesson on supporting what you already sold us. Stop trying to GET more and start GIVING more.

I feel you on that, but you know there are thousands of noobs that are eager to get that new/shiny.
djkurve 8:02 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
I wouldn't hold your breath expecting Pioneer to behave like Rane when it comes to support. Pioneer is a multi-billion dollar trans-national corporation.....Rane is a small North American company. The bigger they become, the less they care about their customers. Just a fact.

PRO TIP!

When calling Pioneer for customer service just say your David Guetta or some other big shot, talentless DJ! Instant support!!!
dj Krazey leo 8:03 AM - 7 August, 2014
+1
djkurve 8:03 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I feel you on that, but you know there are thousands of noobs that are eager to get that new/shiny.

www.quickmeme.com
dj Krazey leo 8:03 AM - 7 August, 2014
Lol
djkurve 8:04 AM - 7 August, 2014
Looks at the time. (4:05am) Ok I need to go to bed. LOL! Sure whenever I wakeup there will be a novel full of replies to this thread.
DJ Padida 8:05 AM - 7 August, 2014
Breaking news:

SX2
Watchwww.youtube.com
deejdave 8:06 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:

Oh trust me I get it. It is just a shame is all. The worst part is I can't sit here and say it doesn't work. In terms of marketing and overall making money they are PRO's at it. If they maybe just took a breath once in a while and maybe even.............. epen dey mudfukn ears a little.

I'm not sour. It is what it is. I will probably just add this bad boy to the collection. My DDJ-SZ has literally been sitting collecting dust since I got my SX back and hasn't even been played on for about 7-8 months.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
PRO TIP!

When calling Pioneer for customer service just say your David Guetta or some other big shot, talentless DJ! Instant support!!!

Yeah if only that would work. Pioneer Support is the ONLY 1-800 number I have ever encountered that was busy for 5 out of the 8 hour day. I mean I haven't heard a busy signal PERION in years but yet there it was for almost 4 weeks straight!! LOL
deejdave 8:07 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Breaking news:

SX2
Watchwww.youtube.com

Breaking like an hour ago LOL
deejdave 8:08 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Looks at the time. (4:05am) Ok I need to go to bed. LOL! Sure whenever I wakeup there will be a novel full of replies to this thread.

Maybe you & I will wake up and all of this will have just been a terrible nightmare!!!
blackavenger 8:11 AM - 7 August, 2014
^ Ha ^
DJOutlandish 11:17 AM - 7 August, 2014
Seems to me that Pioneer has left out the original DDJ SX owners again. They are nothing but a bunch of money grabbers. They probably knew they would add DVS to their controllers from the beginning, but decided to release controllers in phases to manipulate the public into buying every product they have available. In feel that Pioneer probably could have made a add on module for the original DDJ SX for DVS, but chose to put this out to shaft the public for more money. If you buy this, it will probably be obsolete in about a year. Pioneer is like the Apple of djing. Guess that my DDJ SX is here to stay. I will not be upgrading, better yet I may just consider the new Numark NV. Bye. Bye Pioneer, Hello Numark.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:01 PM - 7 August, 2014
PEW PEW PEW PEW!!!!!

PEW TO ALL THE PREVIOUS LINE UPS!!!!!!!!!

These Pioneer Hoes ain't Loyal.....
irieproductions 1:12 PM - 7 August, 2014
Just sell the old unit if you are really interested in the new one, there's always a dj that'd be happy with the MK1 unit for a good price.
irieproductions 1:28 PM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
the DDJ-SX MK2 its a must, they need to apply the same fix to the jog wheels they applied to the DDJ-SZ (this is top priority), they could also add color coded pads and maybe other little surprise here and there in combination with Serato.

They won't affect DDJ-SZ sales just because of the color pads, most of the SZ users got the controller due to the large jog wheels and having a true CDJ-like experience, also the DVS functionality and dual soundcard. I doubt they will ever add dual soundcards to the SX and DVS.

Just realized i was almost bang on except for the DVS part :)
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:51 PM - 7 August, 2014
Looks like they hit 2 things on my list

Fix mic distortion as well as overall sound quality.
Not enough for me to buy it though. If they had a dedicated mic channel as well as 2 laptop compatibility I would have been the first one on line for it.
None of the changes they actually did is nearly enough for me to buy. I will stick with my current SX.
Robbie O 2:14 PM - 7 August, 2014
I think Serato stated that something with the SX wiring makes it not able to have the DVS upgrade... I think that was the easy excuse for Pioneer to make the MK2.

Also, lets be real, most ppl knew pioneer wasn't done. I think they are true to their word about any new controllers. I think they will continue to develop all 4 of their controller product at prolly a 2 year rate. Wouldn't be surprised to see screens on the future SZ to give it more separation from the SX.

Lastly, If you buy a controller, you should buy it knowing it will be "behind the others" in months maybe even weeks. You should buy it and be content if anything else comes out. IMO unless you have budget constraints and your looking for a steal, you should buy a controller a just couple months after it drops. That will cut down on the buyers remorse. If the controllers been out for while, Id layoff unless its crazy cheap or meets a specific need. Like buying a PC lol
irieproductions 2:24 PM - 7 August, 2014
I was eagerly waiting, let me say that again, i was desperately waiting for the SX2 because of the jog wheel latency issues but with Serato 1.7 Beta i don't know how the pulled that off but the latency has improved sooooooooooooo much, only someone else with the SX would understand this frustration i had.

The SX2 has advertised improved jog wheel latency, not sure if it includes the fix they applied to the SZ but the way 1.7 Beta is handling the jog wheel latency makes me happy enough not to consider upgrading.

Serato Flip will be more of an offline tool for me, if it becomes something like Shift + Hot Cue to trigger them i'd be happy.

So yeah... not considering upgrading for some nice rgb color show.
damehype 3:03 PM - 7 August, 2014
If they'd added Jog Tension, I just might've considered downgrading from the SZ
deejdave 4:09 PM - 7 August, 2014
This thing is PURELY want for me and does NOT fit any NEEDS of mine. With owning the SX it is still perfect for the smaller gigs. When doing a small gig on a large scale (eg a block party) the SZ comes out which remains superior to this SX2. That being said all I am left with is the simple feeling of wanting the newest toy. Unfortunately this comes at a time where I am already unsure (and a little sour) in regards to Pioneer and how they handle their business or DON'T I should say. Therefore I am actually rooting against this controller and possibly Pioneer as a whole for the time being.

I was in direct contact with the Clark Kataoka VP of Pioneer who was a very nice individual. On a personal level he seemed caring and attentive. Unfortunately one of the things that came up was obsolete. The claim was that there is no need to worry about obsoletion from other manufacturers. My return argument was I am not concerned with other manufacturers which really I am not for the most part other manufacturers either follow & emulate or even release gimmicks that really have no place. What I then told him was that What I AM CONCERNED about is Pioneer themselves making my Pioneer products obsolete in a time frame that suggests no loyalty to your gear.

When I use something I get attached to it. I will probably stick with my SX, SZ & NS7II only in terms of controllers. I mean having two SX's just seems weird and selling is not an option due to the fraction of a value price you will get for it ..................... I wonder why it's value has dropped so fast? THANKS PIONEER LOL.
blackavenger 4:18 PM - 7 August, 2014
IDK, Dave, the SX is still fetching $900+ (used) on Fleabay.
Davideon 5:43 PM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:

Exactly this. When I bought the sx one of the factors was pioneers statement that it could deal with software updates by the use of the multiple shift+ Functions. By the time I sold my sx a few months back none had been added.

Though the pioneer website now states that the sx supports serato flip
Davideon 5:45 PM - 7 August, 2014
But it's now a dis continued model. So much for future functionality capabilities
Manny C dot com 7:50 PM - 7 August, 2014
DDJ-SX2: i.imgur.com
DevonMTL 12:10 AM - 8 August, 2014
lets see if Rane jumps in the controller market. :)
DevonMTL 12:30 AM - 8 August, 2014
i think its is going to be a long MK2 lineup.
deejdave 12:37 AM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
lets see if Rane jumps in the controller market. :)

Rane have said numerous times they won't be. You NEVER know but I would think they would know best. Not only that but even if the DID I don't think they would nail it right away being they have never released ANYTHING with a jog wheel let alone a player of any sort.
zoomwire 1:33 AM - 8 August, 2014
All the differences between the SZ and SX 2

DDJ SZ
- Better jogwheel (Shows better cue information + jogwheel mode, Adjustable Mechanic Jog Feeling, Adjustable Stop Time)
- Controls for track selection per deck
- Master Filter
- Dual USB
- Two separate mic channels with EQ, Filter and On/Off/Talkover switch
- Standalone Sound color effects
- Standalone oscillator effects

= 1700 Euro

DDJ SX 2
- Flip control
- Dual deck control
- Sampler volume slider instead of knob
- Smaller, lighter and more compact (DDJ-SZ is too big for transport)

= 1000-1100 Euro (for cvs support)

-------
None of the additional features of the SZ are interesting for me. I rather prefer a smaller more portable controller with flip and dual deck control. I get more performance features on a smaller space and I save 600 Euro… :)
deejdave 1:51 AM - 8 August, 2014
Was the price of the SX2 actually released by a reliable source? As far as I knew it wasn't released yet. Also did you happen to notice the DUAL DECK button is GONE from the SX2 so HOW could it still be there? Also did you know the the SZ (as well as SX1, SP1 & SR) will HAVE flip mode controls? Just not dedicated like the SX2. Also did you know that most people prefer to have the Sampler be controlled by a knob rather than a fader?

Quote:
Everything appears to be improved upon except the freakin' Sampler Volume fader. Why keep it as a fader? The SZ delegated it to a Rotary Pot.....I was really hoping the next iteration of the SX would follow suit. Such a waste of space.

This was a post in THIS thread if you look above LOL. A difference YES but not cut & dry in favor for the SX2 as you suggest. Lastly the size.............. I won't get into that. Let's just say I have both the SX & the SZ and BOTH are super portable yet NEITHER are what I would bring to a gig of any real significance to me. To me they are for practice, playing around & doing light parties such as friends or family. I do like them both though.

I am not saying the SX2 is an inferior product by any means I am simply saying you are suggesting it has features it actually doesn't and saying the SZ DOESN'T have features it actually DOES/Will.
deejdave 1:52 AM - 8 August, 2014
Also if you could provide the link where you got the pricing info as I have been looking for it everywhere.
zoomwire 2:15 AM - 8 August, 2014
SX 2 has still Dual Control mode… just look at the Deck select button. I think you can activate it via shift+deck select
deejdave 2:21 AM - 8 August, 2014
You are correct about that. I apologize. I never found much use for the dual deck control though but again that is just me. That was even when it was a convenient one button thing. Seriously wondering why they changed that and also why not add it to the SZ (again not that I would use it) being it is the same layout button-wise.

MORE IMPORTANTLY Any luck on the price link though? I have been searching everywhere for it?
blackavenger 3:07 AM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
Was the price of the SX2 actually released by a reliable source?

The price is the same as the original SX....

www.pioneerelectronics.com
Culprit 6:17 AM - 8 August, 2014
There is also a $200 rebate for purchasing the original SX to deplete current stock.

www.agiprodj.com
Culprit 6:21 AM - 8 August, 2014
www.mediafire.com

August 1st - September 30th - 2014
Jumbo Boogie 3:32 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:
This was a post in THIS thread if you look above LOL. A difference YES but not cut & dry in favor for the SX2 as you suggest. Lastly the size.............. I won't get into that. Let's just say I have both the SX & the SZ and BOTH are super portable yet NEITHER are what I would bring to a gig of any real significance to me. To me they are for practice, playing around & doing light parties such as friends or family. I do like them both though.

Curious...why wouldn't you use an SZ at a premium gig? Does it have to do with no onboard effects and no post fader Serato effects? Is it an image thing?....meaning CDJ/Turntable mixer setup appears more professional then an all-in-one controller.
deejdave 4:50 PM - 8 August, 2014
For me it is a matter of capabilities. I won't sit here and lie to you and say it has nothing to do with image though. I am not concerned with the peanut gallery but more the people that mater (ie the people that hired me/potential customers). When it comes to block parties & such SURE bust out the controllers. When it comes to a wedding or a private party at a night club (gotta bring your own stuff) I stick with my main rigs. Even at corporate events where EVERYONE is a "master DJ" I avoid bringing my controllers. Let's get this straight I DO NOT agree that controllers make you less professional or less of a DJ but there is no denying that the though is out there and the last thing I want to do is have this discussion at one of my more important gigs. Some of them even directly request Turntables. Not often but it happens.

I am not one of those purists that hate on controller and in fact love them. As much talk as I am dishing right now there is a 50% chance of me getting the SX2. 100% chance of me hating Pioneer for doing this but still LOL. 1000% chance I will be picking up the new Akai units as those are sick. I'll also tell you what. ANY thoughts of picking up the Numark NV are all gone now LOL.
Jumbo Boogie 5:47 PM - 8 August, 2014
Wasn't really trying to start a debate. Just wondered why a pro kit like the SZ wouldn't be considered for such gigs....definitely not trying to knock what works for you. I can understand that you use what lets you give the best performance. Afterall it's your brand that your promoting and not the ones your equiped with.

NV...really what makes you shy away from it. Personally for non DVS purposes it's a better bang for buck then the SX2...that's assuming they sound equally good. hahahah I sound like a Numark rep...my avatar is really a cover....I kid.
deejdave 6:47 PM - 8 August, 2014
Well for me the NV was pretty much all screen. Other than that I liked the NS7II but not the NS6. You will notice I said 50% SX2 but 1000% AMX/AFX by Akai as they are IMO a better value than both. I will miss the Pioneer layout that I have become so familiar with but the benefits gained outweigh this comfort. I mean you never know what the future holds for me as I sometimes get impulsive BUT I am just trying to weigh everything out and come up with the best options. In the end I'll probably buy all three options. That sounds even more like me. My reluctance & hesitance with the SX2 lies within the company itself and principle alone..
djkurve 12:10 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Also if you could provide the link where you got the pricing info as I have been looking for it everywhere.

www.agiprodj.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:19 AM - 9 August, 2014
I still hate that they call it a 4 Channel audio mixer when "technically" it's not. It's 4 channels unless you need a mic, then it's 3 channels. My biggest gripe with the SX. If you don't need a mic than yes it's 5. But the minute you need a mic it drops to 3. All other "4 channel mixers" have seperate mic inputs so then yes those are 4 channels.
Jumbo Boogie 12:33 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
I still hate that they call it a 4 Channel audio mixer when "technically" it's not. It's 4 channels unless you need a mic, then it's 3 channels. My biggest gripe with the SX. If you don't need a mic than yes it's 5. But the minute you need a mic it drops to 3. All other "4 channel mixers" have seperate mic inputs so then yes those are 4 channels.

I wonder if Pioneer could have turned the sample fader into a knob....placed a dedicated mic channel with trim and color knobs beneath or above the sample trim within the same area...Unit stays the same size and no drastic changes are made to the layout of the surface...Can it be done without major changes below the surface?
blackavenger 12:53 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Can it be done without major changes below the surface?

For the MK3? Sure ;-)
Stressless Steve 7:10 PM - 9 August, 2014
The most important question though; does it have needle lock..?
Djjahburg 8:55 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if Pioneer could have turned the sample fader into a knob....placed a dedicated mic channel with trim and color knobs beneath or above the sample trim within the same area...Unit stays the same size and no drastic changes are made to the layout of the surface...Can it be done without major changes below the surface?

i think that pioneer did not sell enough sx so they are trying to make up with sx2
938MyDJ 7:19 AM - 10 August, 2014
I totally disagree on this one. ^^^

A lot of DJs liked the original SX and they want all these folks to get the MKII... get the customers who found the SZ quite pricey, and compete with the NV as well.

Just my 2 cents, though.
Ragman 5:00 PM - 10 August, 2014
If owned the SX I would simply get the AFX when it comes out. You want have all the enhancements of the SX2 but you wouldn't be that far off for a lot less.
blackavenger 5:05 PM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
If owned the SX I would simply get the AFX when it comes out. You want have all the enhancements of the SX2 but you wouldn't be that far off for a lot less.

Plus some, really. Those conductive pots are off the chain. I loved using them on the NS7II.
deejdave 10:39 PM - 10 August, 2014
The NV seems ok but for me it's about performance. On paper the SX2 just seems more me performance-wise. Again that is on paper and we won't know until time of release that being said:

Quote:
i think that pioneer did not sell enough sx so they are trying to make up with sx2

Is probably one of the most flawed comments in the history of Serato comments. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I don't think there is much room for opinion in terms of actual sales of the SX. I would guess it is the single most successful controller (sales wise) ever released. It seems this way online as well as locally. Whenever I encounter a DJ and ask what they use it is generally 50/50 the DDJ-SX or some other controller. Like 50% use DDJ-SX 50% use any other controller. I mean this could just be a demographic coincidence or something but I highly doubt it.

Quote:
Plus some, really. Those conductive pots are off the chain. I loved using them on the NS7II.

Useful I would agree but I guess I didn't give them enough use on my NS7II to regard them so highly. I'd definitely have to say they are an asset though. I was concerned they would get in the way or react when not wanted but this was never a problem.
akakak 6:02 AM - 11 August, 2014
If they didn't update everyone would complain they were falling behind with no dedicated Flip buttons etc. It's just good business to make new stuff - it means your current models are up-to-date, and the die-hards will buy the new one.

What kind of business model would it be to just build one thing, and then never build anything else?

Everyone makes weird comments like "i think that pioneer did not sell enough sx so they are trying to make up with sx2" - I think the SX did great sales-wise, and they've built a new one which they hope will do as well.

This is just business.
Ragman 6:31 AM - 11 August, 2014
Agreed. If the SX did not do well, they would have never moved forward with the SX2. That's Economics-101.
Jumbo Boogie 9:52 PM - 11 August, 2014
Be interesting if they start putting the LCD displays within the jog wheels.
deejdave 3:13 AM - 12 August, 2014
Like the DDJ-SZ or do you mean like the Dreaded Technics? www.google.com I don't think ANYONE will do this fully just for reasons of association alone.
blackavenger 5:43 AM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
Like the DDJ-SZ or do you mean like the Dreaded Technics? www.google.com I don't think ANYONE will do this fully just for reasons of association alone.

Hmm, I don't know. I saw a mock up of an SZ that had SVM-1000 styled center screens, and little mini-lcd screens in the center of the jog wheels, and I thought it looked pretty good. Of course I would never want to see this implemented on an "all-in-one", but on modular gear it could be useful, and pretty cool looking as well.

fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net
akakak 5:44 AM - 12 August, 2014
That is actually pretty cool
Jumbo Boogie 1:45 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:

No...I'm talking about taking the screens of the NV or 2000 LCD display and putting it across the entire jog wheel...not just the center...imagine switching to sticker display and seeing it cover the whole jog wheel....just think the successor to the CDJ 2000nxs with the LCD no longer at the top of the unit but within the the entire platter and pads for cues, loops, and what not are in the LCD's place.

There is technology now that can conform a display to any shape. Currently it's being introduced into the auto industry for tachometer displays so why not for DJ equipment as well.
deejdave 3:19 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
There is technology now that can conform a display to any shape. Currently it's being introduced into the auto industry for tachometer displays so why not for DJ equipment as well.

I've seen what you speak of and honestly I am not a fan. I am a little OCD (with my electronics, computers & tools only) and the idea of putting my fingerprints all over the screen (as in one of the most touched parts on the whole unit) does not sound fun to me. Just my two cents. Doesn't mean the rest of the world wouldn't mind but one of the reasons I have never complained about the durability of ANY gear I own is due to the car/condition my gear receives, Everything I own is covered in plastic (whenever not in use), protective cases on, or boxed up. The platter screen size on my 2000's & SZ are a perfect size for me. I can see maybe adding more/changing contents and MAYBE even enlarging a little but not too much. Just my opinion.
akakak 3:33 PM - 12 August, 2014
Putting your fingers on a screen? Like… a touchscreen?
akakak 3:33 PM - 12 August, 2014
How do you cope with your phone?
Jumbo Boogie 8:45 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
Putting your fingers on a screen? Like… a touchscreen?

No not a touchscreen but a clear jog wheel on top off a screen. The jog wheel will still function and look like how current jogs look. Only difference...I was suggesting that underneath the whole surface of the jog is an LCD type display what displays switchable pages of info like how NV or a CDJ 2000nxs does.
akakak 9:29 PM - 12 August, 2014
I meant about deejdave having trouble touching screens :) Sorry, I was being a dick.
Ragman 9:46 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
[...]
Hmm, I don't know. I saw a mock up of an SZ that had SVM-1000 styled center screens, and little mini-lcd screens in the center of the jog wheels, and I thought it looked pretty good. Of course I would never want to see this implemented on an "all-in-one", but on modular gear it could be useful, and pretty cool looking as well.

I could get on-board with this concept; modular or controller.
deejdave 10:59 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
How do you cope with your phone?

First you are assuming I use a smart phone...................... I Do LOL. But NOT exclusively. Still use a Flip Phone but use an iPhone every day yet you should see the condition of my iPhone. I also refuse to use a case and at any point I feel the looks are off the zero deductible comes in handy LOL. Like I said its an OCD thing and simply put I would prefer to have the main screen elsewhere. Just not a fan is all regardless of what the majority is.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:07 PM - 12 August, 2014
I miss flip phones eh, that was the life. Bring em back.
akakak 11:12 PM - 12 August, 2014
Flip phones were amazing for looking cool when you hung up. But not as cool as the banana phones for looking cool when you picked up.

www.filibeto.org
deejdave 11:16 PM - 12 August, 2014
LOL I still rock one to this day. My iPhones rule and all that but I can't get past my little LG's simplicity. Not only that but BOTH are Verizon yet guess which gets better reception in more places. I don't think I'll ever get rid of it. At least not until Verizon tells be the technology is too old LOL.
Jumbo Boogie 11:31 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
[...]

I could get on-board with this concept; modular or controller.

Missed the link earlier...that's real slick...but looks $4000 expensive...would hate to spill a drink on that haha
zoomwire 11:34 PM - 12 August, 2014
Yeah it is slick. But why not display all this kind of stuff on an iPad? The middle part/display of the mockup could easily be shown on my iPad, which I could place next to my controller…
Culprit 11:35 PM - 12 August, 2014
I would say close to 5k, that's alot of R&D work to get done.
Jumbo Boogie 11:53 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:
Yeah it is slick. But why not display all this kind of stuff on an iPad? The middle part/display of the mockup could easily be shown on my iPad, which I could place next to my controller…

Was thinking the same thing...but then that means you still need an external device to look at or mess with.

Quote:
I would say close to 5k, that's alot of R&D work to get done.

Ouch....can't imagine anyone waiting to buy that.
akakak 11:58 PM - 12 August, 2014
Where you don't have to buy a computer at all, and it is guaranteed to perform optimally? I dunno - I think there's an audience for that. Just smaller than the standard controller market.
Jumbo Boogie 12:03 AM - 13 August, 2014
I would expect more then 5K if it had a built-in computer.
deejdave 12:05 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
Where you don't have to buy a computer at all, and it is guaranteed to perform optimally? I dunno - I think there's an audience for that. Just smaller than the standard controller market.

You don't NEED a computer with Rekordbox so an audience YES that is proven but much smaller than standard controller market is definitely true as well. So true in fact that Rekordbox 3.0 is looking more like Serato & Traktor and is now utilizing the computer much more than earlier versions. I would guess this is due to Pioneer realizing where the numbers are.

Speculation though and not trying to pass this off as fact.
Culprit 1:09 AM - 13 August, 2014
Pioneer has the investment capital to make expensive equipment people will buy, for example the SVM 1000, DVJ 1000. I would not be shocked if sometime in the near future we get a Serato DJ controller around the 6k range. It won't be made for everyone obviously, just the small market that can afford it, like the big event companies or big rental warehouses.
deejdave 1:40 AM - 13 August, 2014
Sign me up!! LOL. I never gave two craps about cost. It's all about firepower, features & innovation. Not to mention simply trying new things. I would love to see them take advantage of the updating ability of the current 2000Nexus's before they move on though. Release cycle............ whatever. They didn't have the update capabilities that they do prior to this generation. Not to mention media-wise there is no newer technology available.

From the CDJ-1000 to the 2000 DVD, USB & wi-fi capabilities all were added. There is nothing newer or different enough to go from here. I mean what could they do add Thunderbolt............ not used widely enough IMO. I mean obviously there are a lot of new features & capabilities as well as some that haven't even been though up yet but I feel the 2000's are still what they were when released.............. great tools.

I don't know if there is any technology or innovation costly enough to justify a controller being any higher than $3000. For quality purposes ALONE I would gladly pay if it were worth it but as far as features I am happy with my SZ. I wouldn't mind a beefier SX sized controller with the capabilities of the SZ as well as some other ideas though. Who knows maybe the SX2 WILL in fact be the answer for me although I am guessing an almost identical build when compared to the SX MK1.

Time will tell.
blackavenger 3:41 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
First you are assuming I use a smart phone...................... I Do LOL. But NOT exclusively. Still use a Flip Phone but use an iPhone every day yet you should see the condition of my iPhone.

Quote:
I miss flip phones eh, that was the life. Bring em back.

I think it's too late to bring back flip phones. Despite the fact that I use (and absolutely love) my Galaxy Note 3, my favorite phone ever was the Motorola Razr2 V9. That shizz was perfect! A crazy Russian girl I was dating jumped into a lake whilst drunk, and my phone was in my pocket when I had to jump in to save her from drowning. Sooo sad :-/
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 5:22 AM - 13 August, 2014
I first read that as if the crazy russian girl had taken offence to your Razr and thrown it in the drink haha but alas, you were just being a true gent.

One of my first samsung phones had an aerial like a toothpick and the top of it could be used to open beers, real swiss army knife stuff - I miss that little beast!
Ragman 5:26 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
[...] I think it's too late to bring back flip phones. [...]

I got news for you. They never left... There are a number of middle aged doods who still use them and love'em.
blackavenger 5:47 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
I first read that as if the crazy russian girl had taken offence to your Razr and thrown it in the drink haha but alas, you were just being a true gent.

Yeah, I had to save her. She was hammered, and I had to jump in the lake to save her. Meanwhile, my phone was in my pocket, and it was destroyed. This was right around the time that they were no longer replacing them, but offering an upgrade to smartphones. I lost my beloved to save that crazy girl......I was a "true gent", hahaha. Sacrificed my favorite phone for her. Never assume that a Russian can drink as much as you can simply because of their cultural heritage.
akakak 5:51 AM - 13 August, 2014
I think you had your priorities mixed up!

Also, unless there is going to be a flip version of the DDJ-SX, we may have got off-topic. Oh, wait…
blackavenger 5:53 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
I think you had your priorities mixed up!

I should have let her drown? LOL.

Quote:
we may have got off-topic.

Without a doubt....
controversial 1:28 PM - 26 August, 2014
can Anyone from serato confirm if sx2 will allow recording of mic input and use of serato dj effects (delay,echo, reverb) on mic line?
deejdave 4:37 PM - 26 August, 2014
I would HOPE so being the original SX now supports recording of Mic as well as Aux.

via 1.7
Mic/aux inputs now included in "mix" recording for:
- Novation TWITCH
- Vestax VCI-300
- Pioneer DDJ-SX
- Reloop Terminal Mix 2 & 4
- Numark NS7
controversial 2:10 AM - 27 August, 2014
pre ordered mine today guess ill have to keep my fingers crossed.
controversial 3:05 AM - 28 August, 2014
i have original ddjsx right now mic cant use onboard effects like my ns7 use 2
Ariel M 3:31 AM - 28 August, 2014
I wonder about the platter tension of the new SX2, do you guys think Pioneer adjust or loose it a bit? We, SX owners, know that the original SX's platter is a bit tight and not really good when you back spin.

If Pioneer made an adjustment with the platter behaviour, then I'm sold on this.
controversial 4:01 AM - 30 August, 2014
when is the release date, Americanmusicalsupply had today as the delivery of product?