Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Serato DJ Playlists - How to create and share your set on serato.com

1:38 AM, 10 Jun 2014
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
dj chips 10:23 AM - 11 July, 2014
cool
poetickinetics 6:17 PM - 25 July, 2014
Fault with start times in the "Serato Playlists"?

The track start times which are listed in the online playlists (and also the session history) appear to be triggered upon "track load"? i.e. At the point in time when you load a track into a deck, before you have even pressed play.

The start time of each track is an extremely useful piece of information. If the track start time was accurate, then it is easy to generate a formatted CUE file which is specifically associated with the recorded mix. This CUE file can then be used to burn your recorded mix onto a CD, with continuous/seamless/gapless playback, BUT with the ability to actually to skip through tracks (just like a professional/shop CD).

That aside, when listening to a continuous DJ mix by someone and you here a new track that you like, isn't it nice be able to determine which track you are listening to because you can see the time which it started playing within the mix?

The session history only records the actual time of day (am/pm) when you load a track. To me this seems less relevant than the actual duration into the set when the track was played/heard.

Unless I am missing something, or this information is recorded somewhere else, then I have an Improvement Request:

Change the track "Start Time" to be triggered/determined at the point when the track is playing AND the main cross fader has shifted across from 0, i.e. the track has started to fade in. Or alternatively when the cross fader passes half way. Before the cross fader/channel fader has started to shift to the incoming track, then that track has not been recorded in the mix, or even heard by the crowd. (If using 3 or 4 decks, then the trigger would be PLAY and Channel Fader start, rather than the main cross fader).

I don't see the point in listing the time when you simply load a track into a deck. What happens if after loading the track into the deck but you haven't pressed play yet, you change you mind and load a different track to play - the initial, unplayed track is listed in the playlist still???
Or is this a glitch in the current version of Serato DJ?

In addition/instead of the "time of day" track start, I'm sure that the actual track start time in relation to the start of the session can be recorded into the history? ie.
i) Press the Start New Session button in Serato.
ii) Load track 1 into a deck.
iii) Press Play on track 1. ** This point should set the 'session start' (00:00:00)
iv) When ready to mix in the next track, load it into the other deck.
v) Press play on track 2, cue up the track.
v) Fade track 2 in. ** "Track Start" time is set. (i.e. 03:40:30)
etc etc.

Even if it wasn't possible to program the above session and track start times, it is still possible to determine actual track start time (duration into to the mix). This can be calculated from the 'time of day start time' by setting the first recorded time of day start time as 00:00:00 and then for all of the following tracks, subtracting the original time away from it's own time. e.g.
If Session/track1 start @ 5:20:00 pm, and track 2 started @ 5:22:30 pm. Firstly set Track 1 start as 00:00:00 and then track 2 clock time subtract the initial track 1 clock time = 00:02:30.

Personally I use CUE files all of the time. They are extremely handy and I recommend them to any DJ who likes to share their mixes.

The time syntax for a CUE file is Minutes, Seconds, Frames (75 frames per second). No hours. MM:SS:FF
If you can list the times in the session history as MM:SS:FF, then this would be brilliant and make it very easy for people to then create their own CUE files for their mixes. If it's not possible, I can convert these easily in a spreadsheet. But at least...

Dear Serato, please incorporate an accurate "track start time" into the session history.

Cheers :)

~ Gethen (PoeticKinetics)
Yeltsin 8:56 AM - 4 August, 2014
Totally agree with this, there is no point creating a time coded playlist if the timestamp is for the time a track was loaded to deck, rather than when a mix is initiated.
deejaydroc30314 9:13 PM - 20 November, 2016
how do i tack tracks out of playlist that werent included in my mix that im trying to upload to mixcloud .......i se the hide tab but when i click on it nothing happens