Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Re: CDJ 900 Nexus Support

BrendanClay 3:52 AM - 29 May, 2014
Team,

Great continued work with the software. I'm still a huge advocate and supporter, and I can't see that changing at any time in the near future.

I have been a Serato Scratch user since 2010, and I wouldn't have it any other way however; inevitably, with new Scratch updates becoming less and less and all of the energies and resources being placed into Serato DJ, I feel that I may need to make the switch sooner than later.

I, too, can appreciate the business model in undertaking this approach however; Serato DJ isn't quite at a level that I'm happy with at this point.

(This thread will give you one of the reasons this is the case: serato.com )

Is there any chance that there will be CDJ-900 Nexus support - as you've done with the CDJ-900, 2000 and 2000 Nexus?

I'd say that you'd make quite a few loyal users - who have shelled out for the new CDJs - very happy indeed. Myself very much included.

Many thanks, as always.
BrendanClay 3:54 AM - 29 May, 2014
Apologies, I should clarify that I'm referring to Advanced HID support - not timecode.
BrendanClay 6:32 AM - 4 September, 2014
Nothing?

I sincerely hope that we'll get this one last update.

Would be very sad not to include it.

'elp!
Discogeek 12:03 AM - 11 September, 2014
I agree. Just got a pair of 900 nexus and find that they will only HID link to SDJ.
Scratch Live 2.5 supports the 2000 nexus, why not the 900 nexus ?

Wow, I might have to send these back and get cdj 900.

Scratch Live needs this last update. - this is rock solid !!

Thanks
BrendanClay 12:04 AM - 11 September, 2014
Yeah – completely agree.

Just *this* last one, please!
Discogeek 5:29 PM - 11 September, 2014
Will someone from Serato confirm - there are no more updates coming for Scratch Live users ? meaning no 900 Nexus support ?

Thanks
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:19 PM - 16 September, 2014
Why not just use Serato DJ? Is there a reason you want to stick with scratchlive?
Discogeek 7:21 PM - 16 September, 2014
Yes, MBP Core Duo 2.5 4g ram. Snow Leopard
SDJ 1.6 and Nexus in HID mode sends my CPU past 1/2 way. I do other things while running dj software like record via line in as well as hook up firewire drives and usb drives ( I play with a crew )

SDJ 1.7 might fix this cpu issue but it is not supported in Snow Leopard, I would have to upgrade my OS.

Not going to upgrade OS on this machine. It will not run as smooth.

Serato confirmed in email to me they have no plans to update Scratch Live unless a critical issue comes up.
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:56 PM - 16 September, 2014
Ok cool yes that makes sence i had to buy a new mac to use sdj.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:23 AM - 22 September, 2014
Hi all,

we won't update Scratch Live with any new features or added hardware support.

Thats the only answer I can give. Sorry.

Regards

Karl
BrendanClay 5:51 AM - 20 November, 2014
Is there any amount of (pledged) money that could possibly tempt you into making the CDJ-900 Nexus supported in Scratch Live?

In my – probably biased – opinion, it's really the final update needed.

I'd even settle for a beta version, to be honest.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 9:33 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
We won't update Scratch Live with any new features or added hardware support

Thats all the information I have. Sorry.
BrendanClay 1:28 AM - 24 November, 2014
Guys,

Further to this – and I don't wish to get any hopes up – I received:

@TheMShift Hey Brendan, there's no news regarding that i'm afraid. It's a future possibility but I can't say either way sorry.
deejdave 1:38 AM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
We won't update Scratch Live with any new features or added hardware support

I think Serato saying they won't be adding any new hardware to SERATO Scratch Live says it all no? Nobody else BUT Serato could do this and if they aren't going to allow this NO ONE can.

You did realize Karl Y was from Serato right?
BrendanClay 1:44 AM - 24 November, 2014
Of course.

But it seems like an absolute travesty to not support such an important, popular piece of hardware.

In my original tweet, I've offered the potential option of pledging money to make this happen, if it's simply a resourcing concern – and it might well be!

I'm sure there might be other contributors to this thread that might, too.
BrendanClay 1:46 AM - 24 November, 2014
I also can understand the suggestion of moving everything to Serato DJ, however; I don't find it stable enough with my mid-2009 MBP 2.53 GHz, even though I'm running an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.
deejdave 1:56 AM - 24 November, 2014
It seems Woolsey is set on Serato DJ but the other guy might be willing to second your pledge. I am also not sure just how populer the CDJ-900Nexus is................. at least not with Scratch Live users obviously.

Quote:
I also can understand the suggestion of moving everything to Serato DJ, however; I don't find it stable enough with my mid-2009 MBP 2.53 GHz, even though I'm running an SSD and 8 GB of RAM.

I have four MacBook Pro's but none are older than 2012 so I can't be much help here. I have heard of others with similar issues with pre 2011 MacBook Pro's. Not the answer you are looking for I am sure but I try to keep things straight as it is better to be informed.

Which is also why I even bothered mentioning that the chances are less than slim. I would never just come on here just to burst someones bubble but I've been with Serato for a LONG time and have learned to read the signs and use available resources as things don't always tend to be straight up here.
BrendanClay 2:06 AM - 24 November, 2014
Yeah, look, I'm not overly optimistic, but I have to try...

An obvious option, here, might well be to just shell out on a new MacBook Air. Though, despite the age of this machine, it's working beautifully in every other sense! (SSD is a factor here, without doubt.)
deejdave 2:39 AM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
(SSD is a factor here, without doubt.)

Sure is. I employ SSD on three out of the four MBP's. I haven't gotten involved with the second HDD in the optical bay drive but I do have 16 GB RAM for the same three again.

Coincidentally the fourth which is my lowest spec'd (2012 13" 2.9 GHZ I7 16 GB RAM 750 GB HDD) is actually my favorite as it is the one I am most "connected" with. The other three are PRISTINE and I only use for performances. I will say I treasure the day (about 4 yrs ago) I finally used one.
Quote:
An obvious option, here, might well be to just shell out on a new MacBook Air.

Have you heard any feedback on these? I keep seeing posts pop up like "anyone use MAcBook air & SDJ?" with no real answers. I like to keep all of the I7 and this si custom for MacBook Air and I have not yet made the leap.......................... if you ever do PLEASE provide the feedback.
BrendanClay 2:53 AM - 24 November, 2014
I will definitely report back should I make that purchase! :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:14 AM - 24 November, 2014
Cdj900nexus is VERY EXTREMELY unpopular.
We have found less than 5ppl worldwide using them. And they are supper buggy. So reallyi wouldnt bother supporting them. Just go cdj 2000 or get the old original 900.
deejdave 3:23 PM - 24 November, 2014
I know................ I didn't want to burst his bubble so hard though.

Quote:
It seems Woolsey is set on Serato DJ but the other guy might be willing to second your pledge. I am also not sure just how populer the CDJ-900Nexus is................. at least not with Scratch Live users obviously

Quote:
Cdj900nexus is VERY EXTREMELY unpopular.
We have found less than 5ppl worldwide using them. And they are supper buggy. So reallyi wouldnt bother supporting them. Just go cdj 2000 or get the old original 900.

So the actual units themselves have been acting up?
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:31 PM - 24 November, 2014
Ya pioneer and serato are now working together to find the cause of the issues. But i know alot of djs moning about then just using cds or usbs. They seem a doomed player.
deejdave 4:48 PM - 24 November, 2014
Agreed. Not for nothing you KNOW the XDJ players are coming. The XDJ-1000 was a direct replacement for the CDJ-850. The XDJ-2000 (or whatever it is called) will most likely be priced right in line with the CDJ-900Nexus and this spells disaster for the 900Nexus. At least for those who use Serato. The XDJ line is already confirmed supported for Serato DJ which is a strange but purposeful move by Pioneer & Serato. This is NOT how they handled the 900Nexus and FAR from how they handled the 2000Nexus................... making us wait over a year after release before even hinting at support LOL.

ANYWAYS the touch screen function tied with the HID support from release with the XDJ players do not help the cause here. Obviosuly the XDJ-1000 is NOT the answer for those coming from the 900Nexus or 2000Nexus being the sound is inferior and other options (many platter related) are lost in this transition.

All things considered Woolsey I have to say you said it perfectly. Unfortunately too. Not how I would have liked to see in pan out. Not for nothing SOMEthing was keeping me from the 900Nexus's and I couldn't figure out what it is. I tend to buy most Pioneer Pro gear. Have the 900's and the 2000Nexus' but I passed on the 900Nexus's and WILL be passing on the XDJ-1000's until the next wave........................ assuming the 1000's go as planned of course.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:24 PM - 24 November, 2014
Even Traktor do not support the 900Nexus...
deejdave 6:29 PM - 24 November, 2014
I had no idea. Really? I find this hard to believe. Traktor allows pretty much anything to be used as a sound card. Things don't always work with Traktor Scratch but Traktor Pro 2?

For instance the DJM-900SRT is not technically a Traktor certified mixer but I use it with Traktor Pro 2 JUST as I did my djm-900Nexus.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:40 PM - 24 November, 2014
Well you can maybe midi map them but nope not a supported HID device. Or at least it wasnt last time i checked.
BrendanClay 11:42 PM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
Ya pioneer and serato are now working together to find the cause of the issues. But i know alot of djs moning about then just using cds or usbs. They seem a doomed player.

What are the specific issues?

Is there a suggestion that the issues could be resolved the firmware upgrades?

I've had no concerns, really – as far as the CDJ-900 Nexus unit is concerns – aside from the lack of Scratch Live Support, which isn't an "issue", per se.
BrendanClay 3:21 AM - 10 April, 2015
For the record, I'm now working with a MacBook Air 13" – with an i7, 8 GB RAM and a 512 GB SSD.

It's much smoother, when running Scratch Live, and I'll look forward to giving it a good run with Serato DJ, and my CDJ-900 Nexus units. Hopefully I get some smoother performance, than with the old machine...
deejdave 9:03 PM - 10 April, 2015
You will. Congrats on making the purchase. Many individuals get stuck in the frozen zone of thinking their laptops will be good enough just because it has an apple on it. Best bet would have been a MacBook Pro as you will get even more years out of it as well as optimal performance but you may be ok with a MacBook Air especially if you don't plan on using Pitch N Time etc. SSL is pretty easy to get a solid performance due to its bare-bones structure. Hopefully all goes well with SDJ.

What year and what speed is the I7 out of curiosity.
BrendanClay 3:48 AM - 11 April, 2015
It's a 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 – Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Very happy with it!
deejdave 3:51 AM - 11 April, 2015
VERY nice!! Best of luck with it. Let us know how you get on with SDJ. I have a feeling it will be great though.