DJ Quartz 12:42 AM - 20 May, 2014
Serato DJ 1.6.3 is out now!

serato.com
DJ Quartz 12:46 AM - 20 May, 2014
Release Notes:

Added Serato DJ Accessory Support

Pioneer CDJ-900NXS

Other Changes

Platter latency improvement for Pioneer DDJ-SZ (requires firmware update)
Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles and CDJs when used in HID mode

Bug Fixes

Playhead jumping incorrectly when using CDJs in Relative Mode
Slicer mode not working with Reloop RP-8000 turntables using link mode
dj-dave-d 1:33 AM - 20 May, 2014
not happy! could have just bought a 900 nexus for half the price and feel cheated after buying the srt :(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:08 AM - 20 May, 2014
Hey dj-dave-d,

Quote:
not happy! could have just bought a 900 nexus for half the price and feel cheated after buying the srt :(

This version supports the CDJ-900NXS, not the DJM-900NXS. I hope that clears things up!

Cheers,
Michael.
DJ MDX 2:27 AM - 20 May, 2014
Don't feel bad dj-dave-d, when I 1st read it, I read it the same as the mixer. I then was how in the hell is it going to work with timecode?? lol, sometimes impatience gets the best of us
akaTRAP 2:39 AM - 20 May, 2014
I'm actually pretty excited the CDJ 900NXS is officially supported. I could get a 900SRT and two 900NXS units and bounce between Serato and Rekordbox. Could use Serato for easier recording/mashups and use Rekordbox when I wanna leave the laptop at home.

Here's hoping Serato plays even nicer with Windows 8.1 after this update, though.
Gaby Abi Chahine 6:31 AM - 20 May, 2014
what does they mean by "Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles" i have a ddj-sx what change will i see?!
Wizzu 6:38 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
what does they mean by "Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles" i have a ddj-sx what change will i see?!
Same question here.

It always baffles me that Serato never bothers to explain things better or make a small video or something.

I'll give it a go anyway but not today.
&Midge 6:48 AM - 20 May, 2014
Any chance of better latency for Rane SL users? If improvements can be made for controllers why not old SSL users who really notice the difference?

Still no Master Gain :(

Still no Midi panel :(

Still missing the old SSL FX :( (but thats no big one compared to the others issues)

Seems like the users whos support helped build the brand are be sidelined in favor of adding more native support for new users.......

.........I hope SDJ will become a more usable and stable product, and soon.
Wizzu 7:24 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Seems like the users whos support helped build the brand are be sidelined in favor of adding more native support for new users.......
I hear you and I think you're right.
djmacklong 7:58 AM - 20 May, 2014
Big disappointment. SZ platter/crossfader latency is still an issue.
Djpr1 8:23 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

+1
DJ Trice 8:42 AM - 20 May, 2014
what's the problem with them ? My one is OK
dj marvelous1 9:08 AM - 20 May, 2014
This might be a dumb question but here it goes....i currently use the Numark NS6 Controller...Now if i download the new version of serato dj 1.6.3 will i loose stuff in versions 1.6.0 leading up to 1.6.3? I currently have 1.6.1....this version is working fine for me right now. So if i download 1.6.3 it should still have everything from previous versions?? Thanks.
dj marvelous1 9:23 AM - 20 May, 2014
I mean i dont see anything that benefits me to upgrade except for that platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers...but what exactly does that mean? Anyone have any idea? Thanks!
DJ Trice 10:42 AM - 20 May, 2014
You just have to test to know. U can install both version
Wizzu 11:57 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
You just have to test to know. U can install both version

Generally, yes.

But this time, after I installed 1.6.3, and despite giving it a different installation folder location, my 1.6.0 has been uninstalled in the process and I'm pissed off because of that.

And I can see zero change in the platter rotation lightning on my DDJ-SX. Pfff.
Mark Quest 12:35 PM - 20 May, 2014
improved LED platter/spindle for CDJ's & Controllers in HID mode.

>HID mode.

>HID

RTFM, or in this case, RTFRN
Davideon 12:36 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
I mean i dont see anything that benefits me to upgrade except for that platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers...but what exactly does that mean? Anyone have any idea? Thanks!

Don't upgrade if you don't need to. I'm still on 1.6.1 as the latest 2 upgrades have zero I want or need
Wizzu 1:17 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

>HID mode.

>HID

Talking to me?

Quoting Serato's upgrade page:

*** Improved platter lighting response on all supported controllers/CDJs resulting in more accurate visual feedback of playback and position information. ***

And the version release notes:

*** Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles and CDJs when used in HID mode ****

Which is unclear and undecisive, as it's written in a way you can think that they simply forgot a comma after between "spindles" and "and".

I read this :
- "all controllers with LED spindles"
- CDJs used in HID mode.

Try to keep an open mind instead of going RTFM on people... here, assuming you're right (which has yet to be proven), the way Serato wrote it is totally open to interpretation so it's their fault.
irieproductions 1:57 PM - 20 May, 2014
this is a dot release, it's supposed just to have a few quick fixes and additions nothing major.

I'm pretty sure they are working parallel version 1.7 to be released soon, one major change will be the database engine to fix the large library issue and i'm sure many other changes that we are expecting.
Davideon 2:36 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

>HID mode.

>HID

Talking to me?

Quoting Serato's upgrade page:

*** Improved platter lighting response on all supported controllers/CDJs resulting in more accurate visual feedback of playback and position information. ***

And the version release notes:

*** Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles and CDJs when used in HID mode ****

Which is unclear and undecisive, as it's written in a way you can think that they simply forgot a comma after between "spindles" and "and".

I read this :
- "all controllers with LED spindles"
- CDJs used in HID mode.

Try to keep an open mind instead of going RTFM on people... here, assuming you're right (which has yet to be proven), the way Serato wrote it is totally open to interpretation so it's their fault.

There was confusion when 1.6 was released because of the poor grammar and punctuation in the release notes as well
Ragman 5:44 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
this is a dot release, it's supposed just to have a few quick fixes and additions nothing major.

I'm pretty sure they are working parallel version 1.7 to be released soon, one major change will be the database engine to fix the large library issue and i'm sure many other changes that we are expecting.

Everyone please read this post above before you get your panties in a bunch.
midnightdesire 5:48 PM - 20 May, 2014
Coming from a System software stand point. I personally think the developers of Serato DJ are having a hard time trying to implement, develop and resolve the many issues and I feel bad for them. I can only imagine being hit from both sides. What management deems necessary to increase $$$ and what the end users needs to do their job.

I'd say it's a travesty that the majority of the Pro DJs that make a living by providing a service and the software crashes could potentially cost them their job and/or future work.

I've been using Serato Scatch live for many years as most of the users in this group and yes we have all gone through our growing pains since it's inception.

Bottom line I think Serato really needs to continue to develop and support Scatch live.

Having one software like Serato DJ work for all, having the end user having to buy a new computer and or upgrade their OS and/or buying more RAM is not the answer.

Perhaps the coding is wrong or needs to be rewritten and thoroughly tested prior to release for memory leaks or functionality. I'm good with using a beta version knowing that it may have problems but to release another version to implement another MIDI controller with bug fixes that really are minor in comparison to the major issues that still have yet to be addressed.

I don't know maybe I'm just venting like many others on this forum.

Another thing I'd like to see is more tutorials for one example " How to relocate missing files"
DJ Quartz 6:05 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Bottom line I think Serato really needs to continue to develop and support Scatch live.

Not happening, it's deemed legacy just like Windows XP.

It will get bug fixes when application as they said but Serato DJ is clearly the replacement and would have to put their resources towards it.

Just like the beloved 57, unless we can make an interpreter to spit out midi, married to Scratch Live.

Quote:
Another thing I'd like to see is more tutorials for one example " How to relocate missing files"

Send an email in, I'm sure they will doing a lot more in future.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:49 PM - 20 May, 2014
Hey guys, hopefully I can answer a few of your questions.

Quote:

This means that controllers with an LED spindle on the jog wheel (SX, SZ, NS6, 380 etc) will have a much tighter LED response when moving the platter. Previously you could notice some latency when moving the platter between the virtual deck spindle in Serato DJ and the LED spindle on the hardware. This is a lot tighter now. It may be more noticeable on some controllers than others.

Quote:
Still no Midi panel :(

The MIDI panel is on the way! Along with some other requests made by our DVS users.

Quote:
Still missing the old SSL FX :( (but thats no big one compared to the others issues)

We aren't finished with the FX in SDJ. There will be some cool new updates and functionality in the future. What SSL FX in particular are you missing? Let us know so we can make sure they are on our radar. One I'd like to see in SDJ is the Rollout effect.

Quote:
This might be a dumb question but here it goes....i currently use the Numark NS6 Controller...Now if i download the new version of serato dj 1.6.3 will i loose stuff in versions 1.6.0 leading up to 1.6.3? I currently have 1.6.1....this version is working fine for me right now. So if i download 1.6.3 it should still have everything from previous versions?? Thanks.

No, you do not need to download each version to get the the features from that version. Downloading the latest version of SDJ will always download all the latest features and you will not lose anything.
&Midge 9:58 PM - 20 May, 2014
Hey Logan,

Great to know the midi panel will be coming at some point in the future (hopefully with slicer mapping) and that updates are coming for the FX, I really miss the Rollout and Echo out the most......

Thanks for the update =D
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:02 PM - 20 May, 2014
Hey djmacklong,

Quote:

Have you installed the latest firmware upgrade from Pioneer? -> pioneerdj.com

From their release notes:

Quote:
- The jog platter latency for scratching is improved.

Cheers,
Michael.
Emersiveav 10:21 PM - 20 May, 2014
BRAVO, BRAVO, this 1.6.3 kicks A$$

I just did a 2 hr set and not a single issue not only that the SZ is is a true KING :)

I really cant ask for anything more right now!

Granted I haven't run it on my laptop yet only on studio PC so I hope I don't live to regret this post LOL
djmacklong 10:24 PM - 20 May, 2014
Michael R - Yesterday when the link to 1.6.3 was posted, the only firmware update available from the pioneer website was 1.12. Now that 1.15 is actually available, I'm hoping this will solve my issue.
DJ Quartz 10:32 PM - 20 May, 2014
Serato beat them to the punch... :P
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:57 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Michael R - Yesterday when the link to 1.6.3 was posted, the only firmware update available from the pioneer website was 1.12. Now that 1.15 is actually available, I'm hoping this will solve my issue.

I hope so too, let us know how it goes :D

Quote:
Serato beat them to the punch... :P

NZ is in the future... :P
djmacklong 12:13 AM - 21 May, 2014
When launching the firmware update application, it says my SZ is not connected. Meanwhile, the software is running in the background at full capacity.

This thing is about to become at $2k frisbee.
DJ Quartz 1:23 AM - 21 May, 2014
Close any other programs that are open. This was discussed in another thread. There is something blocking the firmware application.
djmacklong 1:45 AM - 21 May, 2014
I got it figured out. Works flawlessly now. FAAAAACK this is what I've been waiting for!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 2:09 AM - 21 May, 2014
:D
Djpr1 2:33 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I got it figured out. Works flawlessly now. FAAAAACK this is what I've been waiting for!

After the firmware update is working a 100%!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 2:55 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

After the firmware update is working a 100%!!!

Great! That's what we like to hear.

Also this is true:
Quote:

This was a quick little release with some minor issues fixed, but as Logan mentioned, there is bigger release coming with MIDI panel etc. Stay tuned!
Ragman 5:18 AM - 21 May, 2014
Wow... 4 Serato mods (Nick, Samuel, Mike and Logan) posted on one thread. You guys must have high hopes for v1.6.3 ;-)
Dj Youkai 8:50 AM - 21 May, 2014
I think you guys are doing and excellent job :-)
DJ LIL M 7:09 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Wow... 4 Serato mods (Nick, Samuel, Mike and Logan) posted on one thread. You guys must have high hopes for v1.6.3 ;-)

lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:14 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

Mod party :D

But yeah, I'm a big fan of Serato DJ. Not just because I work here, I DJ with it too.

Just out here spreading the word... ;)
Dj Youkai 10:23 PM - 21 May, 2014
I believe in Serato DJ :D
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:23 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I believe in Serato DJ :D

Amen!

^_^
BRUAEL 11:32 PM - 21 May, 2014
Silly question, but does the LED spindle update apply to the touchstrip of the Novation Twitch?

I'm just debating if i should update or not, I have a gig this weekend.

Cheers guys keep up the good work.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:23 AM - 22 May, 2014
Hi BRUAEL,

No, this update doesn't affect the Novation TWITCH.

Cheers,
Michael.
BRUAEL 12:36 AM - 22 May, 2014
oh ok, i don't think the LED ring needed fixing anyway on the TWITCH, it was always pretty tight.

Thanks!
DJ GaFFle 1:01 AM - 22 May, 2014
I'm so glad they FINALLY re-added the [CTRL] + <> for auto cue point insertion in 1.6.2 and on... I have a large number of my Itch mp3's totally out of wack because some developer decided to remove that useful feature.
Johnny Havana 4:00 AM - 22 May, 2014
Why there is still no hotkeys for all the autoloop values? Is it really impossible to make the values scroll over so that users could select which 5 he/she wants to be under hotkeys? We talked about this in the feature suggestions but still no proper reply from Serato.
djmacklong 2:31 PM - 22 May, 2014
Johnny Havana - This update is purely for bug fixes. 1.7 is coming soon, which will include more features and additions.
nik39 2:37 PM - 22 May, 2014
Late to the party...

Looks like someone overlooked to add this to the release notes.

1.6.3 adds support of adding cue points by pressing "," and "." (resp,. "<" and ">") without having to hold down cmd/control.

Thank you Serato for adding this back. Now please let's get the sort cues chronologically option please :)
djmacklong 3:04 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:

Thank you Serato for adding this back. Now please let's get the sort cues chronologically option please :)

+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:58 PM - 22 May, 2014
Quote:
1.6.3 adds support of adding cue points by pressing "," and "." (resp,. "<" and ">") without having to hold down cmd/control.

Must be a bug. We'll have to take it out :P
nik39 9:35 PM - 22 May, 2014
Grrrr

;)
DJ Quartz 9:39 PM - 22 May, 2014
The mob starts chanting and walking with torches and pitch forks to Serato Headquarters...
Nick Sheldon 9:40 PM - 22 May, 2014
Can anyone tell me if you can now record 'line-in'?
DJ Quartz 9:40 PM - 22 May, 2014
Do you mean the aux channel from an SL interface?
Guy Fidelity 12:58 AM - 23 May, 2014
Am I the only one having problems with 1.6.3?!? Everything has gone tits up since I installed it, crashes after launching, can't backdate the software either, what is this thing that has taken over my macbook and refuses to work!?!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:55 AM - 23 May, 2014
Hey Guy Fidelity,

If you're having problems with the new release you should open a help request and our Support Team will assist you -> serato.com (click link).

Cheers,
Michael.
Mr. Goodkat 3:19 AM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
DJ Graffiti 3:27 AM - 23 May, 2014
Does this update do anything to fix the issue where Serato DJ occasionally goes into Internal mode and plays the song really slow when a song is loaded?

I saw it discussed here: serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:44 AM - 23 May, 2014
Hi DJ Graffiti,

No it doesn't sorry. Serato DJ 1.6.3 is a minor update release which includes the following:

Added Serato DJ Accessory Support

• Pioneer CDJ-900NXS

Other Changes

• Platter latency improvement for Pioneer DDJ-SZ (requires firmware update)
• Platter LED spindle improvement for all controllers with LED spindles and CDJs when used in HID mode

Bug Fixes

• Playhead jumping incorrectly when using CDJs in Relative Mode
• Slicer mode not working with Reloop RP-8000 turntables using link mode
DjFingerblast 4:28 PM - 27 May, 2014
Just got my SL2 box friday and had serato dj pre installed... not sure which version... will see if its 1.6.3.. hopefully not.. as the HID for my cdj 850s has a really laggy looking LED in the jog wheel that also randomly skips around every now and then (thankfully this doesnt affect the audio in any way).

besides that very minor issue i've been in love with serato dj.. i've been without serato since my vci-300... and its nice to go back!

thanks for the update.. will test after work today
Mr. Goodkat 6:27 PM - 27 May, 2014
how would you not know which version if you preinstalled it?
DjFingerblast 8:23 PM - 27 May, 2014
i just quickly hopped on the site and downloaded whatever version was available and never looked at it twice.. i downloaded it before i got my sl2 box just so i could analyze my music ahead of time
DjFingerblast 8:38 PM - 27 May, 2014
also, quicky question regarding cdj 900 nexus... does the HID show the wave graph on the screen of the cdj? or is it just track information?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:23 PM - 27 May, 2014
Hey DjFingerblast,

The track overview is displayed on the CDJ-900NXS screen, but not moving waveforms like in the Serato DJ software.

Cheers,
Michael.
DjFingerblast 11:34 PM - 27 May, 2014
thanks for that clarification.. i'm finding it more and more pointless to own higher end cdjs with serato now lol (unless you've previous had them.. and needed it for a much larger music data base of course)
DjFingerblast 11:35 PM - 27 May, 2014
and it just gives me an excuse to have 2 setups lol
DjFingerblast 4:47 AM - 29 May, 2014
damn i have 1.6.3 and the led in the jog wheel is buggy... =[
djmacklong 5:46 PM - 29 May, 2014
Did you update your firmware? 1.15 has a fix for that.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:38 PM - 29 May, 2014
Hey DjFingerblast,

What's buggy about the LEDs? Let us know, they should be a lot better than previous versions.
djdomination 1:27 AM - 25 July, 2014
when is sdj 1.6.4 coming out? we want midi panel back
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 1:34 AM - 25 July, 2014
Hold tight djdomination, the MIDI panel is coming up in an update soon, keep your eyes peeled.

J
djdomination 1:40 AM - 25 July, 2014
oh ok ..wen is the next update comin? also will the next upgrade also have the master gain volume bar?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 1:59 AM - 25 July, 2014
The next release hasn't been announced yet my man so can't help you out there sorry we are still mum on that, like I say keep an eye out - you will definitely know its dropping when the time comes we will make sure of it!

In regards to the master gain meter what hardware are you using? Some devices will not show it eg Rane mixers, whereas some controllers will display it? I think we are talking about the same thing!?

Cheers,

J
DJ Padida 6:53 AM - 25 July, 2014
Hey serato you guys should give the display tracks some colour like in scratch live you know yellow, blue etc...

Like so:
u.sera.to
TGK 5:11 PM - 25 July, 2014
I Still Prefer Scratch Live GUI Colors , for me Serato DJ GUI is needs few mods.
Hope years to come Serato will fix it.
djdomination 9:53 AM - 26 July, 2014
@jason.s im using sl3 wif 2 technics 1200 turntables & numark x06 mixer with macbook pro
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 9:25 PM - 26 July, 2014
@djdom,

I will take a look tomorrow for you man Im at home without an SL3 - sunday here. Pretty sure that gain meter wouldn't be displayed and you would need to use your mixers display for gain staging, I will holla tomorrow to confirm this man.

@padida &thxj

The GUI will evolve over time for sure, what was it about the colours that you found most useful? Does the new layout make things harder then it should be? If you guys really feel that way I would encourage popping a feature suggestion in this area here; serato.com

J
turka 9:23 AM - 27 July, 2014
hi i have a numark mixtrack pro 2. do i need to buy a license if i want to use serato dj 1.6.3?
dj intro currently has no record function so wanna step up to serato dj.but keep seeing activate thingy
Ragman 9:42 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
hi i have a numark mixtrack pro 2. do i need to buy a license if i want to use serato dj 1.6.3?
dj intro currently has no record function so wanna step up to serato dj.but keep seeing activate thingy

Yes.
serato.com