Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Where to find old school Hip hop and R&B videos?

DjCity 7:25 PM - 19 May, 2014
I subscribe to BPM supreme and they have videos but not very many classics.

Where can I find old school Hip hop and R&B videos?
Not YouTube stuff but real, quality videos.
Xtendamix 7:56 PM - 19 May, 2014
For the U.S. territory, your best bet is VJ-Pro and Promo Only.
DjCity 8:43 PM - 19 May, 2014
Went to VJ Pro site. Can't see what they have.

I'm not trying to dump money on unknown content Especially old classic Hip Hop & R&B.
I need what I need but I don't want to roll the dice like that.
djnak 9:15 PM - 19 May, 2014
Quote:

I'm not trying to dump money on unknown content Especially old classic Hip Hop & R&B.

I thought you could browse with no credits? .....

you won't be dumping money...trust Vj-Pro/Smash Vision has some oldschool for you...and even some super crisp HD versions of oldschool tracks
popnwave 9:43 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

you won't be dumping money...trust Vj-Pro/Smash Vision has some oldschool for you...and even some super crisp HD versions of oldschool tracks

I think you can as long as you register properly.
dj jamalot 3:46 PM - 20 May, 2014
I use both Vj-Pro and Promo only and a few others...
I got this Collection From Promo only it's pretty good i Ripped Audio @ 320 with my own custom video presets using Sorenson Squeeze...
instagram.com
Doug Howard 8:06 PM - 20 May, 2014
Ummmmm….

Registration on VJ-Pro is free. As well, you receive five complimentary download credits and five days free membership. We could tell you we are the greatest thing since sliced bread… but letting you simply use the service for free speaks way…. way…. louder.

Once you are registered (and of course approved) you can view the entire library.
dj jamalot 8:28 PM - 20 May, 2014
Then make that happen Doug (Free) that is my account is being held hostage I can't even get my credits without paying a renewal...
Doug Howard 8:46 PM - 20 May, 2014
jamalot …. Ummmm… it's a subscription service. (??) That said, if you are having issues with your account or something isn't working for you… everyone knows we always try to be generous and when something needs fixing we help where ever we can. But this isn't the place to do it. Not our forum. Email us… info@vj-pro.com
2Smooth420 9:31 PM - 29 May, 2014
I like www.thevideopool.com

It has alot of the old school classic rnb and hip hop jams, early snoop dogg, bone thugs, boyz II men, Michael Jackson, Ice Cube, Eazy E its pretty decent.

its 34.99/month, 104.99/quarterly, 399.99/year
DJ_iMIx 3:51 PM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:

email me @ [removed]

i can help you out.
Rebelguy 11:50 PM - 11 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

email me @ [removed]

i can help you out.

Are you hinting at illegal file sharing or selling copyrighted materials?
Serato, Support
ChrisD 2:56 AM - 12 June, 2014
DJ_iMIx,

You can't use this forum for any kind of trading, selling or sharing.
Xtendamix 6:30 PM - 12 June, 2014
As an FYI, he was trying to sell bootlegs. I contacted him to see what the deal was. He tried to sell us a hardrive with Xtendamix and Smashvision videos on it.

There's no justification for this. A few hundred dollars won't change your life. All the video pools work very hard and pay a lot of money in royalties and to receive content. It's not so some low-level DJ can collect them and go sell them to make a buck. Most DJs have enough respect and honor not to do this. The video community is very small. Chances are pretty good someone will find out. One or two people can ruin it for all of us, so we will team up and fight back.

Thank you to all who support our hard work and shame on DJ_iMIx for being the odd few who don't!
dj jamalot 1:39 PM - 16 June, 2014
When Xtendamix...When?
Xtendamix 2:10 PM - 16 June, 2014
When what?
dj jamalot 3:59 PM - 16 June, 2014
when are you coming to US you say you are coming soon but we are still waiting...
Xtendamix 4:14 PM - 16 June, 2014
We've hit a snag so it's taking a while longer.
missceebrown 7:25 PM - 28 July, 2014
i'm also looking for old school hip hop videos and classics.. (good quality) DJ City did you find a good website for them?
DjCity 7:30 PM - 28 July, 2014
Besides BPM Supreme...

Not really.
djnak 3:03 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Ummmmm….

Registration on VJ-Pro is free. As well, you receive five complimentary download credits and five days free membership. We could tell you we are the greatest thing since sliced bread… but letting you simply use the service for free speaks way…. way…. louder.

Once you are registered (and of course approved) you can view the entire library.
djnak 3:05 AM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
Besides BPM Supreme...

Not really.

that is your own fault cause some really good resources have been mentioned....
DjCity 4:07 AM - 29 July, 2014
Oh…

VJ Pro is pretty good too but expensive.

I like paying once (per month)

Not a fan of paying membership then paying for credits on top of the membership.
Dj ListenDat 11:09 AM - 29 July, 2014
VJ-PRO's advertisment is not good. Actually they have changed their prices. But it's not updated on the website unless you go to pay. Now it's monthly subscription with unlimited credit ! So it's more than great !
popnwave 4:44 PM - 29 July, 2014
Quote:
VJ-PRO's advertisment is not good. Actually they have changed their prices. But it's not updated on the website unless you go to pay. Now it's monthly subscription with unlimited credit ! So it's more than great !

That depends on your region. That's not available in the US last time I checked, so foreign subs rejoice.
Dj ListenDat 12:09 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That depends on your region. That's not available in the US last time I checked, so foreign subs rejoice.

I didn't know about that :\ sorry (i'm in EU)
djpuma_gemini 6:56 PM - 30 July, 2014
Quote:
Oh…

VJ Pro is pretty good too but expensive.

I like paying once (per month)

Not a fan of paying membership then paying for credits on top of the membership.

Their content is top notch.
The pricing may be a little high, but if you're getting gigs it's totally worth it.
It's not that high if you think of what it would cost you in terms of time and money to do this yourself or having to buy a piece of vinyl for an edit.
Joshua Carl 6:58 PM - 30 July, 2014
To turn a classic phrase.

"You get what you pay for"
And with the lull in new big videos, they have been pumping out the classics.
DJ Scorpion 3:24 PM - 1 August, 2014
i
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't know about that :\ sorry (i'm in EU)

where is that "unlimited credits" option supposed to be (for eu clients)? i don't get that option ... plus 2nd question (since i consider re-activating my account): is there a way to sort / get a list for only let's say all blenx edits available? thx in advance for your input guys
itsdjrocket 7:10 PM - 1 August, 2014
hey everyone can some one help me out and direct to the right place. Im looking for a old school track i have the regular version but I'm looking for nice club worthy remix, twerk, bootleg, remix to the remix, i don't care. you get the idea the song I'm trying to find is

COOLIO
Gangsta's paradide.

many thanks in advance
djnak 5:17 AM - 2 August, 2014
Quote:
hey everyone can some one help me out and direct to the right place. Im looking for a old school track i have the regular version but I'm looking for nice club worthy remix, twerk, bootleg, remix to the remix, i don't care. you get the idea the song I'm trying to find is

COOLIO
Gangsta's paradide.

many thanks in advance

I got you....best remix of that track right here Watchwww.youtube.com

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lOfZLb33uCg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
itsdjrocket 6:56 AM - 3 August, 2014
Really weird al? Sorry not feeling it.Rather cheesy for me. But funny as hell.
Dj ListenDat 10:51 AM - 14 August, 2014
Just a little sharing in hope vjpro people will see that. vjpro seems to have the best visual quality but they don't have the best sound. Sometime sound is awful. Vjstreet has better sound quality but lesser visual quality. From now i have to take video of vjpro and mix with audio of vjstreet. This for oldshool videos . BpmSupreme seem to have both good sound and good image but poor content
DJ DisGrace 11:56 AM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
Just a little sharing in hope vjpro people will see that. vjpro seems to have the best visual quality but they don't have the best sound. Sometime sound is awful. Vjstreet has better sound quality but lesser visual quality. From now i have to take video of vjpro and mix with audio of vjstreet. This for oldshool videos . BpmSupreme seem to have both good sound and good image but poor content

The old school videos (with blue download icons) are the original sound from the video. I have had some problems with sound quality on a few of those vids. The majority of videos I download are the VJ Tools which have great sound quality.
djpuma_gemini 3:51 PM - 14 August, 2014
Yes, don't compare the vj tools to the videos from vj-pro or screenplay from years ago. Those are not the same by any means.
It takes a while to redo all the catalog from vj-pro with the smashvids touch.

If you want rare old school vids, you're gonna have to dig for them. Digitally dig or become Canadian and join xtendamix.
Xtendamix 7:39 PM - 14 August, 2014
He's in France, he can join Xtendamix Europe.
Dj ListenDat 12:08 PM - 15 August, 2014
Quote:
Yes, don't compare the vj tools to the videos from vj-pro or screenplay from years ago. Those are not the same by any means.
It takes a while to redo all the catalog from vj-pro with the smashvids touch.

If you want rare old school vids, you're gonna have to dig for them. Digitally dig or become Canadian and join xtendamix.

I totally understand. It may seems unfair. I was talking about that to share and cause we are on the Serato Forum so i want to share with others like i had share my knowledge to help the PC Users and so increase the subsciptions of the different video pool sites....loool some could have given me free account for that lool : serato.com

Anyway what i wanted to say was more that as a DJ, you need to play good sound quality at least. It's i think the most important.
marx 5:54 AM - 16 August, 2014
DjListenDat thank you for your feedback. Puma is correct, the blue buttons are the Screenplay videos that are not retracked audio wise unlike the SmashVision VJ Tools.

As a DJ, do you have a suggestion (besides the blue buttons) of marking the Screenplay files showing users that they're label videos? We've spoken about this before, but it never seemed to be much of an issue.

Since you touched on audio quality, I wanted to point out that most of the audio tools posted on "the street" were jacked from other audio pools that actually put in hard work creating these dj versions from scratch. Meanwhile their video editors get $5 to make edits from any pool/service you can imagine. I'm also going to point out that MP4 Videos coming from dozens of encoders leaves a lot of room for error, not only for stability purposes, but quality wise too. Can you rely on a service that's going to be so scatterbrained? My opinion as a DJ would be no.

In regards to your reediting, essentially you're taking a mp3 file that the original audio editor made and encoded it to another mp3 that was thrown in to a video edit and encoded to the final AAC file...which you're either remuxing (which I doubt because of syncing issues) or editing yet again and encoding the "mp3" again to another AAC file, that's 4 encodes on one mp3 file. It make more sense to just get the same audio that "the street" "acquired" and save yourself 2 passes. Something to think about.
Dj ListenDat 1:27 AM - 17 August, 2014
You can reencode a fixed bitrate file to the same 100 hundred times it won't change the quality. Make the test. It's like an archive. Try for example to compress (zip) a .png file. You'll see that there will be no gain in file size. This is because the .png is already compress. So for example compressing a 320 kbps mp3 file to another 320 kbps won't affect quality because the file is already compressed. You cannot compress to the same bitrate more than it's already compressed......

mp3 was initially made by compressing wav files. How, but removing the unnecessary non audible frequencies. So if you compress a file to a bitrate that we will call "X" which will compress the audio file to frequencies bitween 5000hz-10000hz, recompressing then to the same bitrate "X" won't change anything as it will still be 5000hz-10000hz.......hope i was clear enough in my explanations.....

I do recompress some files by in fact replacing the audio and keep the video. I then recompress to the same source bitrate and get the same video clip but with better video quality. Plus i'll add that considering this is done only on the old school video which already have low image bitrate, it would be even more difficult to see decrease in image quality before and after compression if there any decrease in image quality..........

Regarding the syncing it's really easy as you see the waveforms.......so just have to make it match visually thanks to a simple mark.....it's very quick do to otherwise i wouldn't do it

To finish, recompressing a non HD file (SD) of VJ-PRO using intel quicksync with handbrake with a 6000 kbits/s bitrate and AAC 383 audio, permit to lower the size by something like 50% with SAME EXACT visual and sound for the reencoded file. Quicksync allow to take less than 5 seconds to reencode a 5 minutes video clip with my i7 3517u/HD4000. Perhaps VJPRO could consider testing it (i can help on that if they don't manage to use handbrake) as this would permit the users to have smaller file size. Perhaps using a smaller bitrate could give even smaller file size. I had not gone under 6000kbps as it's a kind of minimum bitrate for HD (so bigger than the maximum required for SD)

Regarging your remark on audio pools it's right i had noticed. And i do prefer a lot the sounding of the edited Xtendz versions of VJ-PRO
popnwave 1:33 AM - 17 August, 2014
Compression is a destructive process, it's not like unzipping a file. These encoders analyze the video in their own way each time, it's not a universally set process. You can replace audio on a track -if- it's the exact same length and remux it w/o loss of quality, other wise you are creating a newer, lesser quality file, it's just the way things work. You might not notice it yourself but you'd get laughed off a stage saying that.

Also since each encoder out there is using it's own tweaked engine, comparing something recompressed in Handbrake probably isn't going to hold up as well as one pumped out using Sorenson Squeeze.
DJMark 10:14 AM - 17 August, 2014
Lossy encoder "generation loss" (both audio and video) is absolutely a real issue. It's somewhat less of an issue with AAC than MP3. It's not at all the same as "re-zipping" a file over and over...the perceptual analysis/encoding is done on each pass, and the artifacts start affecting the analysis and therefore the quality of the (re)encodes.

Only with lossless formats like FLAC and ALAC does the "zip file" analogy have any validity.

In the late 90's when AAC was developed/tested, the issue of multiple-encodes generation loss was given quite a bit of attention, that's why I say it's LESS of an issue (but still an issue) compared to MP3. I took part in the testing of AAC back then, so I can speak with some authority on that issue...

Also I've subscribed to Smashvidz/VJ-Pro for about 5 years, and I don't think I've ever seen an SD video file from them that was anywhere near 6000kbps. A random sampling of the newest 720p files I have from them are around 5350-5500kbps, with SD files around 3000.

I wish videos with lossless-encoded sound were more common. Several years ago I experimented with creating MP4's with an ALAC audio stream (it could be done in Apple's "Compressor" application), but although they played fine in Scratch Live and iTunes some of the Scratch Live versions showed them all as corrupt.
Dj ListenDat 10:47 AM - 17 August, 2014
As i had never been able to see or hear any difference i really thought it was working the way i described it........my bad..........i could anyway show you the two files before and after to let you judge by yourself what i would call the "play facts" so that you see that in fact the result is better with the new video clip.....

Also the sound quality is not only bad for the original version clips........take for example on VJ-PRO Destiny's child - Say my name Xtendz version.........listen to the sound.....there is a robotic feel.........I just couldn't play it in live i had to produce a better sound quality one.......and i did
djpuma_gemini 4:58 AM - 18 August, 2014
If you look at the frequency analysis of that video, the audio is spot on.
All the way to 20Khz, which means they didn't use some crap source or reencode.
www.djpuma.com

Unless the source was bad, but judging by that spectrum, they did their job correct.
Could just be a badly mastered song.
Dj ListenDat 8:42 AM - 18 August, 2014
"Could just be a badly mastered song." lool are you kidding Beyonce man ?!!

Instead of being on "maybe" or "could" or "would"......be in the facts.......go listening to the song then compare with the Xtendz you'll see what i'm talking about.......and of course use headphones or good speakers to be able to hear the difference..........
marx 2:58 PM - 18 August, 2014
Quote:
go listening to the song then compare with the Xtendz you'll see what i'm talking about.......

Compare with the Single, Screenplays version or the one you used to make the reedit?
Dj ListenDat 7:19 AM - 19 August, 2014
Lol it's funny since i criticized vj-pro i can't download anymore lol ! I get "Your account is currently approved and you not have access to download."

If i've been blocked or else, i think you take things into a too personnal way. My remarks here were just for sharing and so that things get better. I could for example say that vj-street in 2014 still don't do HD. I had written to them to try to make them think about the future and about how in 3 or 4 years when HD will be what SD is now, no one will want SD clips anymore. So it's not a good idea to build a database with only SD clips......

Let's see if they block me as well............
marx 8:55 AM - 19 August, 2014
Block you, are you serious right now?

I actually encourage constructive criticism. I don't even know what to say right now.
Dj ListenDat 10:18 AM - 19 August, 2014
Perhaps a simple coincidence...........

Anyway please take time to listen to the Xtendz version of the song i'm talking about. You'll be able to hear the difference with the audio version. I had always tought Xtendz where made with the audio instrumental (good sound quality)
Rebelguy 4:18 PM - 19 August, 2014
So after reading this while discussion so far and taking the time to download the file in mention I had a few comments to make...

#1 Are we really discussing Destiny's Child "Say My Name?" I didn't realize this was the still the big club banger.

#2 I heard none of this supposed "robotic feel" or any other sound quality issues. I compared the updated single, xtendz, previous screenplay version and the CD version. The single and xtendz were of similar quality to the CD. The screenplay version was decent but did sound a bit muffled compared to the others.

#3 For you to say that you have never heard any sound quality difference from reconverting files through different encoding methods makes me question the validity of your statement regarding the file in mention.
Joshua Carl 5:15 PM - 19 August, 2014
I will NOT be entertaining looking at that other service, yet again, Reguardless of how many times it's name was slipped into posts... Matter o fact in going to make it a point to advise my constituents of the same.
djpuma_gemini 10:03 PM - 19 August, 2014
chuch!!
Code:E 12:15 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:

and Xtendamix has great audio and great video quality.
marx 1:15 AM - 20 August, 2014
I suggest when referencing other down looked upon services to not type the name in the forum as it only helps drive traffic. Example "the street".

Thanks for the love home skillets. Now back to the future of vjing ;)
DJMark 3:43 AM - 20 August, 2014
I listened to "Say My Name" from VJ Pro and it sounds exactly like the CD did. It's definitely bright with a highly processed sound on the vocals, a sound that a lot of commercial R&B has had since around that time.

I'm curious (Marx) if you guys ever remaster music that's judged to be lacking in sound quality from the original CD's or whatever was used for source material? Or is the philosophy more to leave it as it sounded originally?
marx 9:12 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
I'm curious (Marx) if you guys ever remaster music that's judged to be lacking in sound quality from the original CD's or whatever was used for source material? Or is the philosophy more to leave it as it sounded originally?

It's a constant hunt for audio. We definitely will modify a track if it's in bad shape. But we always made a point to adhere to the original sound. I personally feel that most of todays music is already so slammed, any additional processing would just murder the sound. Slight leveling is all thats really ever needed. Any additional leveling should be done in the software, imo.
Frozone 10:06 AM - 20 August, 2014
I currently subscribe to both services mentioned, and I love each one for different reasons. Both have great quality on all the newest mixes.

This discussion seems to be turned into a another debate on one of the oldest topics in the history of video/music. I can hear/see better than you. In the 80's it was all about audiophile quality ( hi definition sound ) - Gold connectors vs broadcast quality silver connectors. Compressed files vs uncompressed. Vinyl vs CD. Mac vs PC.

My point is everyone's tastes are different, and bashing one service against another doesn't make sense ( to me ). As mentioned both services are fantastic, from a servicing, selection, and quality stand point.

NEWAYZ let's get back to talking about hard to find old school videos and stop wasting time about who has the biggest p...s! (IMO)
Dj ListenDat 11:42 AM - 21 August, 2014
Hi guys,

I would like to thank you all. Thanks to this discussion and the remarks i realized that when i was recompressing my videos in fact i had loss in the audio. I hadn't taken enough time to listen to it. Your question could be "why are you recompressing the videos ?"

It is because i'm a PC user. I need to make Serato Video use my GPU to decode the video. This permit to have better FPS and less CPU usage. The problem is that using Lav video filter lead to resizing problems with SV. In fact when you read a 16/9 AR video then load a 4/3 there is a bug that lead to a bad resizing of the video. The workaround is to resize all the video so 16/9 even this make some video look wider.......Anyway now i got the perfect settings by encoding in passtrough mode........

Thank you and sorry for what i say.....the PRO video pool is really awesome and worthy
realdjrod 2:48 PM - 26 July, 2017
djnak 7:16 PM - 3 August, 2017

Quote:

WTF man those are a bunch of links to YouTube clips. Neither legit, nor the best quality that ANY video DJ should be using.

yup GTFOH with that garbage....
Rax183 9:27 PM - 29 August, 2019
Hello anyone can help me for find all soundtrack on this movie? Watchvimeo.com
All list from the generic.

Thank you so much in advance
https://getcasinoslots.com/ 7:47 AM - 7 October, 2019
Quote:
Hello anyone can help me for find all soundtrack on this movie? Watchvimeo.com
All list from the generic.

Thank you so much in advance

Hello.
I very often use the Midomi web service in such cases. This web service will help you find out what kind of music sounds right now. To do this, on the main page of the site you just need to click on the microphone and enable listening. In the case of the same YouTube, you can run the video in one tab of the browser, and Midomi - in another. Very useful thing to search for and in 99% of the songs there.
Frankyv16 8:18 AM - 18 October, 2019
Quote:
Hi guys,

I would like to thank you all. Thanks to this discussion and the remarks i realized that when i was recompressing my videos in fact i had loss in the audio. I hadn't taken enough time to listen to it. Your question could be "why are you recompressing the videos ?"

It is because i'm a PC user. I need to make Serato Video use my GPU to decode the video. This permit to have better FPS and less CPU usage. The problem is that using Lav video filter lead to resizing problems with SV [url=www.credit-immobilier-pret.com]Rachat crédit piscine[/url]. In fact when you read a 16/9 AR video then load a 4/3 there is a bug that lead to a bad resizing of the video. The workaround is to resize all the video so 16/9 even this make some video look wider.......Anyway now i got the perfect settings by encoding in passtrough mode........

Thank you and sorry for what i say.....the PRO video pool is really awesome and worthy

And why not just convert instead of compressing.
Tonykl 10:20 PM - 24 September, 2022
[spam removed]
Tonykl 11:07 PM - 25 September, 2022
[spam removed]