Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SZ *Jog Wheel Latency* Thread -- NOT Platter Sensitivity

djmacklong 2:15 PM - 7 May, 2014
This thread is regarding a newly surfacing issue regarding latency in the jog wheels of the DDJ-SZ. This issue is NOT to be confused with the widespread platter sensitivity issue that has already been addressed (and in many cases corrected) by Pioneer.

Here is my video detailing the problem: Watchwww.youtube.com

*note: I meant to say "62" at the 19 second mark.

Here are a couple of comments from Serato mod Dave W regarding the issue:

Quote:
that is very obviously the jog wheel latency issue we have been working on with Pioneer.

Quote:
Simply put we are working on software related latency tightening for the DDJ-SZ currently this is separate from the hardware jog wheel sensitivity issue you had djmacklong. There was some faulty units which needed replacement/repair which i'm assuming yours was one of this group. This is not a new issue, it is something we have been aware of for a while and we are currently working on resolving. We hope to have a fix for this in a future release for you guys.

Looks like ideally this will be a software fix. Feel free to chime in here if you are (or even if you aren't) having this issue with your SZ.
jroc453 2:18 PM - 7 May, 2014
Following.
I have the same issue.
djmacklong 2:20 PM - 7 May, 2014
I know user dame hype does as well.
djmacklong 2:21 PM - 7 May, 2014
I sent a message to Pulse about this, so hopefully he'll have some input for us.
jroc453 2:24 PM - 7 May, 2014
I don't have my unit in front of me as it is in route to Pioneer. But I have the same exact problem. Since I can't test it I can't tell if it's the fader lag or the jog lag. I sent Pioneer an email and noted a fader lag.
djmacklong 2:30 PM - 7 May, 2014
Did you go into the utility settings and adjust your crossfader lag before you sent it off? I think out of the box it's set to like 28 or something like that. I set mine all the way down to 0 and I was still having issues...same with damehype. It *feels* like a crossfader issue when you're playing on it, but it's definitely a jog issue.
jroc453 2:42 PM - 7 May, 2014
Gotcha... I didn't change the crossfader settings but it did feel like it was the jog wheels cuz after I was messing with it I was looking for the jog release sensitivity settings. It felt like it was releasing slower then a CDJ.
jroc453 2:44 PM - 7 May, 2014
I just sent Pioneer your video if you don't mind and attached my (RMA) #: ARA# to it.
djmacklong 2:45 PM - 7 May, 2014
works for me.
jroc453 2:47 PM - 7 May, 2014
I'm sure it will help the techs with people complaining about this.
damehype 5:30 PM - 7 May, 2014
I included a note when I sent my SZ in for the tech to check the issue out. It was terrible when i first got the SZ and i resisted upgrading the firmware because peeps said it made their issue worst. I decided to upgrade the firmware because I remembered the SX having similar issues with the jogs at launch and the firmware update fixed it. The SZ update did improve it a bit to where I could at least gig with it, but it still didn't feel as tight as the SX. So, hopefully they can identify the problem and fix it.
jroc453 5:39 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
I included a note when I sent my SZ in for the tech to check the issue out. It was terrible when i first got the SZ and i resisted upgrading the firmware because peeps said it made their issue worst. I decided to upgrade the firmware because I remembered the SX having similar issues with the jogs at launch and the firmware update fixed it. The SZ update did improve it a bit to where I could at least gig with it, but it still didn't feel as tight as the SX. So, hopefully they can identify the problem and fix it.

Is yours still being fixed?
djmacklong 5:39 PM - 7 May, 2014
I included a note for the techs please look at/address my warped left platter. They actually taped the note to the inside of the box before they returned it, but didn't actually do anything about the warped platter itself. It's hardly noticeable unless you really get down there and inspect it, and I was so excited to have it functioning properly that I didn't really care, but the more I think about it, the more it kinda feels like a "f*ck off" move.

Pioneer dealt with the sensitivity issue well, but the further this goes and the more issues that keep popping up, the more rushed this whole thing feels. It's frustrating.
damehype 5:50 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Received 5/1/14
jroc453 5:51 PM - 7 May, 2014
I included a note with mine that listed about 5 things wrong. I wonder if they will replace mine with a brand new unit or pull a "f*ck off" move.
jroc453 5:52 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Received 5/1/14

Did you notice this lag before you sent it in for repair?
damehype 5:53 PM - 7 May, 2014
I also called them. The lady told me I couldn't talk to the rep, but she would note the issue I was having and forward it to the tech.
damehype 5:54 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. Received 5/1/14

Did you notice this lag before you sent it in for repair?

Yes, that's why I included the note
jroc453 5:59 PM - 7 May, 2014
So you told them about this and they still didn't fix it?
jroc453 6:06 PM - 7 May, 2014
Mine is on it's way to Pioneer now. That's why I'm asking. I sent them macklongs youtube video showing them the issue. I'm just trying to see if they will admit to the problem and fix it or just blow it off saying its a software issue. Not too many people have stated this lag and their are a few of turntablism vids that look like they don't have this. In some of the YouTube videos I have seen it looks like some are working pretty tight.
jroc453 6:28 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
So you told them about this and they still didn't fix it?

I didn't see that it was still being fixed. I thought you received it back from Pioneer on 5/1/14 without it fixed. My bad!
Dj Youkai 7:28 PM - 7 May, 2014
I never tried this yet. I hope when I get SZ Back.. Again.. I won't have this problem either.. Or else I have to send it back for the 3rd Time! :(
Update on Mine:
It's in Repair Process.
jroc453 7:31 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
I never tried this yet. I hope when I get SZ Back.. Again.. I won't have this problem either.. Or else I have to send it back for the 3rd Time! :(
Update on Mine:
It's in Repair Process.

They'er gonna have to start paying you interest!!!
djmacklong 8:14 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Not too many people have stated this lag

Not here, but clearly plenty have reported it, otherwise it would not be considered "not a new issue" that Serato and Pioneer have already been investigating.
DjCity 2:23 AM - 8 May, 2014
Serato may have noticed it and addressed the issue with Pioneer before we were even aware of the issue.
Dj Youkai 5:37 PM - 8 May, 2014
I just checked my Repair Status on my Cross Fader, it is now completed. When I get it back. I'll test it for this also. Man. I hope nothing else goes wrong. :/
djmacklong 5:41 PM - 8 May, 2014
I would try calling in and asking for them to test for this before sending it back.
Dj Youkai 5:58 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
I would try calling in and asking for them to test for this before sending it back.

I already put a note inside the box say please test it before you sent it back to me, but I'll call them just to make sure, and maybe ask what was done to my controller to fix it.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 5:59 PM - 8 May, 2014
Sorry for the complications bro......
djmacklong 6:10 PM - 8 May, 2014
It seems like the techs aren't really paying much attention to notes that are left inside the boxes. I'm starting to think that, unless it's listed on the report that's submitted by the phone techs on the warranty report, they're probably told not to touch anything else.
Dj Youkai 6:36 PM - 8 May, 2014
Thanks djmacklong & Mighty Dragon Sounds and everyone for your concerns. I just finished talking to Louisa from Pioneer. She said they replaced my Cross Fader with a new one, and as of right now, they still testing it out to see everything is working. I did asked her about that latency issue and she's saying as of now, it seems to be software issue and not hardware, and hopefully it will fixed in software updates. So she said my SZ will probably be shipped tomorrow, cause they are still testing it out.
A_Jack 7:05 PM - 8 May, 2014
Seems like there are lots of issues with the ddj-sz...
djmacklong 8:25 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
Thanks djmacklong & Mighty Dragon Sounds and everyone for your concerns. I just finished talking to Louisa from Pioneer. She said they replaced my Cross Fader with a new one, and as of right now, they still testing it out to see everything is working. I did asked her about that latency issue and she's saying as of now, it seems to be software issue and not hardware, and hopefully it will fixed in software updates. So she said my SZ will probably be shipped tomorrow, cause they are still testing it out.

That's GREAT that they are taking the extra steps in testing for you. Dave W specifically mentioned that it was a software issue as well, so it's good to here some consistency in that.

Quote:

You're right about that, but at this point it's still worth the headache to me.
owenbizzle 12:57 PM - 14 May, 2014
I have had this issue aswell,

when playing an Audio only gig the DDJ-SZ responds fine but when i am using mix emergency and doing video aswell the platter is not as reponsive feels like the latency goes up massively, and the jog wheels even look as if the frame rate is lower!!

Maybe its because the midi signal for controlling mix emergency is on the same usb but I am not getting any USB warning lights or anything!!

i think Serato dj is just very processor intensive!!

I am running 2011 MBP 2.4 i7, 16gb Ram, 512 SSD, 1GB AMD Radeon,

I shouldn't have any issues, but seems like the software just isn't running efficiently!!

Hope they optimise the performance in the next update!!

Owen
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:23 AM - 20 May, 2014
Serato DJ 1.6.3 update is available

Improved platter latency for the ddjsz
DjCity 12:33 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Serato DJ 1.6.3 update is available

Improved platter latency for the ddjsz

Link please
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:36 AM - 20 May, 2014
DjCity 12:37 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
serato.com

You da man!
DjCity 12:41 AM - 20 May, 2014
I HATE doing firmware updates!!!
DjCity 12:41 AM - 20 May, 2014
They tend to Fuck up things that worked before.
djmacklong 12:52 AM - 20 May, 2014
From the Pioneer website: "If the firmware version is Ver.1.12 or later, it is not necessary to update the firmware version."
DjCity 12:55 AM - 20 May, 2014
I gotta try to remember how to check the firmware.
It's not something I do everyday.
jroc453 12:56 AM - 20 May, 2014
My unit is still in stage (2) in repair at pioneer. Let me know if this update fixed this issue. I get my case on Friday and still don't have my SZ back. BS!!!
DjCity 1:01 AM - 20 May, 2014
My case is supposed to be to me by Wednesday.
jroc453 1:11 AM - 20 May, 2014
Where did you get it from? Mine shipped from AGIPRO on Friday
DjCity 1:21 AM - 20 May, 2014
ProAudioStar
djmacklong 7:55 AM - 20 May, 2014
Big disappointment. My latency is a *liitttle* tighter (Gold Tate voice), but not where it should be if this really was a "fix".
jroc453 11:10 AM - 20 May, 2014
Well.... that's not too reassuring :/
Davideon 2:41 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

So far mine has had zero issues, tho I haven't tried DVS yet
jroc453 6:48 PM - 20 May, 2014
Pioneer Firmware 1.15 is out. Ver.1.12 -> Ver.1.15 (20 May, 2014 Update)
- The jog platter latency for scratching is improved

pioneerdj.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:58 PM - 20 May, 2014
^beat me to it lol
jroc453 6:59 PM - 20 May, 2014
Just saw it on Twitter lol
jroc453 6:59 PM - 20 May, 2014
So I'm hoping the combo of this and 1.6.3 does the trick!
DJ NOOZER 12:00 AM - 21 May, 2014
Pioneer serviced unit + Serato 1.6.3 + SZ Firmware Update Ver. 1.15 = Has corrected my platter / crossfader latency issues!
djmacklong 12:05 AM - 21 May, 2014
What exactly did you do to install the firmware update Noozer? Did you update it before updating to 1.6.3
DJ NOOZER 12:17 AM - 21 May, 2014
I Did Serato DJ 1.6.3 first followed by the Firmware update to the SZ.

For those having problems updating (controller not connected), even though device is recognized by Serato DJ...
Make sure to power on the SZ while holding shift + sync. This puts the device in Firmware Update Mode. You are in FUM when your master level indicator has one red tick.
djmacklong 12:23 AM - 21 May, 2014
I did the firmware update properly and the verdict is in.

I'M FUCKING ECSTATIC. This is EXACTLY the experience I've been waiting for. WOW. HUGE difference.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:31 AM - 21 May, 2014
^awesome
DjCity 12:42 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

I'M FUCKING ECSTATIC. This is EXACTLY the experience I've been waiting for. WOW. HUGE difference.

Great to hear!
DJ Quartz 1:26 AM - 21 May, 2014
@ Macklong,

I was in the other thread, glad to hear you got it updated and working.
djmacklong 1:31 AM - 21 May, 2014
This thing is literally as responsive as 1200s now.
Djpr1 2:38 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

+1000
DjCity 4:15 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

You have the latest version of sdj and the latest firmware?

Just asking because I might need to do this myself and I want to know EXACTLY what to have and EXACTLY what to do.
raequan 4:17 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1000

sz is better than when i had the sx

love it now
DJ Quartz 4:38 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
I Did Serato DJ 1.6.3 first followed by the Firmware update to the SZ.

For those having problems updating (controller not connected), even though device is recognized by Serato DJ...
Make sure to power on the SZ while holding shift + sync. This puts the device in Firmware Update Mode. You are in FUM when your master level indicator has one red tick.

as DJ Noozer stated.
djmacklong 4:56 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You have the latest version of sdj and the latest firmware?

Just asking because I might need to do this myself and I want to know EXACTLY what to have and EXACTLY what to do.

Yes. This is my setup:

Computer:

2013 MBP Retina
2.7ghz i7 (turbo to 3.6...or something like that)
512 SSD
16gb ram
OSX 10.9.2

Hardware:

Crossfader cut lag - 0
Midi send frequency - 6
Firmware 1.15

Software:

SDJ - 1.6.3
Latency - 1ms
Dj Youkai 5:13 AM - 21 May, 2014
So awesome guys, glad it's working PERFECTLY, can't wait to update my firmware also, been out all day, have a photo gig all day so yeah, I can't wait to experience this also, Right On Pioneer :-D
damehype 11:11 AM - 21 May, 2014
Yo!!! I'm straight now. Thanks Serato and Pioneer
Dj Youkai 8:27 PM - 21 May, 2014
I just updated to SDJ - 1.6.3 + Firmware 1.15 .. MAN SO PERFECT!!! It also fixed my Serato Video Lag Buffer when I cue in another video. OMFG!!! I Must be dreaming. The SZ HAS COME ALIVE FINALLY!!! It's like Godzilla finally released his Atomic Breath in this New Godzilla Movie.. FUCKEN' AWESOME!!!! :D Thanks Serato and Pioneer. Keep up the good work. :)
djmacklong 9:08 PM - 21 May, 2014
Right? I couldn't be happier.
Dj Youkai 9:54 PM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
Right? I couldn't be happier.

You're Absolutely Right!!!! :D
DJ Big T Silva 1:49 AM - 22 May, 2014
@djmacklong thanks for the update bro glad it's feeling tight for you. I will update my firmware tonight on my sz! I'm so pumped for the update! Also, I was curious why your midi send speed is to 6? The lower this number the tighter the scratching and speed at which the unit sends the signal once your hand touches the jog pplatters.my understanding is the least latency for the SZ on the midi send speed is 3. That is where mine is set and I have a core two duo with ssd MBP and no issues with 2 MS Latency serato 1.6.2. I just want to know why you chose 6? Did you have issues with lower latency because my MBP is way older (2009) than yours and I can run mine at 3 through the SZ ' s midi send speed utility setting
djmacklong 2:17 AM - 22 May, 2014
That's just where it wound up after all of my screwing around with the settings. I'll dial it back down to 3.
DJ Big T Silva 2:21 AM - 22 May, 2014
Haha gotcha
DJ Big T Silva 12:32 AM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
That's just where it wound up after all of my screwing around with the settings. I'll dial it back down to 3.

@DJmacklong I update the firmware last night for my SZ and updated to SDJ 1.6.3. One weird thing I noticed was a change in the utility settings on the Midi send speed. The least latency was previously 3 as it shows in the manual as indicated by 3 lights lit up on the master VU meter. The stock setting is 4, but I noticed now, after the firmware update to 1.15 you can now choose 1 and 2 as well! I'm confused because this is not shown in the manual as the least latent setting is 3! Yet, for some reason I can choose a maximum of 1 now for the midi send speed reducing latency. Can you confirm that you can now choose 1 after the update? Go to utility settings mode in SZ, then decrease the midi send speed to the lowest setting. It used to stop at 3 lights (bars) being lit on the right Master VU meter. See if you can lower it to 1 now after the update. I choose one and it works great. Very tight response with the firmware and this new setting. Lemme know what you think. This setting improvement could improve scratching response times with your hands on the jogs. Thanks
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:25 AM - 23 May, 2014
Per Pioneer Firmware notes

1) Update the firmware to Ver 1.15 and later.  When the firmware is updated to Ver 1.15 and later from the previous versions,   the "sending intervals of the jog dial's MIDI message" in the Utilities mode   are automatically set at the optimal value (1msec*).
djmacklong 2:31 AM - 23 May, 2014
I'll check it out tonight. Thanks guys.
Djpr1 3:05 AM - 23 May, 2014
I had mine at the default value 4ms, once I did the firmware update it went automatically to 1ms. Scratching is tight as hell...;)
djmacklong 3:28 AM - 23 May, 2014
Same here. Mine's likely automatically corrected itself to 1ms. I believe I already said it once before, but this thing is as responsive as 1200s. I didn't think it was even possible to get this tight of control with a digital jog/platter.
jroc453 12:00 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Same here. Mine's likely automatically corrected itself to 1ms. I believe I already said it once before, but this thing is as responsive as 1200s. I didn't think it was even possible to get this tight of control with a digital jog/platter.

This is really great news to here!!
Mine shipped and I should get it back by Thursday. I can't wait to test it out. I scratch a lot and with all of the issues I wasn't happy with the SZ and was about to return it. But now with the jog wheels fixed and the two updates I'm really looking forward to a rebirth of the SZ!!!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:46 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is really great news to here!!
Mine shipped and I should get it back by Thursday. I can't wait to test it out. I scratch a lot and with all of the issues I wasn't happy with the SZ and was about to return it. But now with the jog wheels fixed and the two updates I'm really looking forward to a rebirth of the SZ!!!

Dont forget to update the SZ firmware
jroc453 1:31 PM - 23 May, 2014
I'm curious if Pioneer put the 1.15 firmware on mince since it was still in repair when they released it??
irieproductions 2:42 PM - 23 May, 2014
i wish they could do a firmware update for the DDJ-SX, the response of the jog wheel is not very good, im pretty sure the SX suffers from the same issue as the SZ prior to the FW update.

Unfortunately its a 1k$ controller not a 2k$ controller so they probably dont give a fuck...
DjCity 7:24 PM - 23 May, 2014
I did the firmware update and downloaded 1.6.3.

I don't like the way it feels. I may have to do some adjusting within the SZ because the cut is NOT precis.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 7:35 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:

I don't like the way it feels. I may have to do some adjusting within the SZ because the cut is NOT precis.

It lags?
DJ Quartz 7:37 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
i wish they could do a firmware update for the DDJ-SX

I won one from a comp and didn't even crack the box. Traded it in for some other stuff.
DjCity 8:43 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It lags?

Yeah.
It's like what macklong was explaining before he did his firmware update.

Chirps are one way. The fader just ain't good enough to catch it both ways.
DjCity 8:44 PM - 23 May, 2014
Maybe I can improve this in the settings?
I don't know.
djmacklong 9:52 PM - 23 May, 2014
What are your latency and crossfader cut lag set to? Mine are set to 1ms and 0. Also, make sure your midi signal frequency is set to 1.
DjCity 9:55 PM - 23 May, 2014
Where do you go to see these and adjust them?
djmacklong 10:05 AM - 24 May, 2014
You have to go into utility mode to adjust them. Check out page 24 in the manual. Everything you need is in the next few pages.
irieproductions 3:53 PM - 25 May, 2014
what a piece of garbage the DDJ-SX is, i just read the manual and the lowest latency you can achieve is 3ms :|

I wonder if that's why the jogs have so much delay when pulling back the jog wheel and releasing it.

I'm hoping that DDJ-SX mk II will fix all the flaws the first one had and learn from the DDJ-SZ mistakes as well.
DjCity 3:10 PM - 26 May, 2014
I used 1.6.3 at a gig and I did not like it.

I used my SX with it and the limit light was out of control. Same settings from 1.6.2 but the limit light comes on like crazy.

The sound seems different too. There was more bass and less high end.

That really surprised me. I used my Yorkville ls801pb's with my EV Zxa5's and the sound was not right with 1.6.3

When I switched back to 1.6.1, it sounded great.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:45 PM - 26 May, 2014
That's strange that's happening - can you hit up the support team so someone here can have a look into what's going on with your setup?

I'd recommend opening a help request: serato.com

If there is something that's changed it'd be good to be able to work with you to try reproduce that here and get it reported.

Sam.
DjCity 1:50 PM - 27 May, 2014
Thanks Samuel S
I have started a help request.

Same hardware, same laptop, different results with different versions (1.6.3 vs 1.6.1 or 1.6.2)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:16 PM - 27 May, 2014
Cool, the support team should be able to look into what's happening there.

Sam.
DjCity 9:27 PM - 27 May, 2014
Has anyone experienced this besides me?
DjCity 1:47 AM - 29 May, 2014
Samuel S

How long will it take for them to get around to my ticket?
DjCity 9:50 AM - 5 June, 2014
I still have yet to hear from anyone in support.
Davideon 5:38 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
I still have yet to hear from anyone in support.

I find that "I got no sound!!!!!!!!" Requests get answered quite quick tho.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 8:40 PM - 5 June, 2014
Hey DjCity,

Do you have a link to your help request? I'll chase it up for you :)

Cheers,
Michael.
DjCity 12:31 AM - 6 June, 2014
Thanks Michael

Sam GG responded.
I responded back. This happened today so I will see how long he takes to get back to me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:42 AM - 6 June, 2014
Ok great! I know there's a bit of a backlog with the Support Team, but they are working as fast as they can :)
djmacklong 2:02 AM - 25 January, 2015
Anybody else noticing that these issues are back with the 1.20/1.73 updates? I know of at least one other person with these issues again.