Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Free Quartz stuff (Visuals, Transitions, Tools)

radikarl 2:07 PM - 29 April, 2014
www.radikarl.de <- Some quartz files I created. Both for Mix Emergency and Serato Video. More to come.
popnwave 4:12 PM - 29 April, 2014
Awesome as always.
Code:E 7:12 PM - 29 April, 2014
Thank you! I will have to give these a try.
DJ.S 11:39 PM - 29 April, 2014
thanks bro these are awesome
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:28 AM - 30 April, 2014
I have to be a member of Fakebook?? Bummer………..
radikarl 6:22 AM - 30 April, 2014
Hi the SOUNDINSURGENT,

I'm trying to promote my new page with this a little bit :D

I hope that for most people its a fair thing to ask for, in return for the time I spent doing these.
But I don't want anyone to miss out if they don't want to use Facebook at all.

TL;DR you can still have the Quartz files ;-)
You'll have a PM in a second.
Culprit 7:41 AM - 30 April, 2014
cool!
radikarl 2:05 PM - 2 May, 2014
New composition: image slideshow.

Scrolls trough a folder and displays all the images it finds in there.

It will default to a folder named IMG that sits next to the Quartz file.
This also applies to using it with Serato Video
BUT: With Mix Emergency, you can easily set the image path on the fly (and some other things) right from within Mix Emergency.

download link is unchanged: www.radikarl.de

Watch demo video here: Watchwww.youtube.com
radikarl 2:12 PM - 2 May, 2014
did i mention it will FADE the images into each other rather than just replacing one with the next ;)
Karl W 3:38 PM - 2 May, 2014
Thankyou!!
Culprit 5:45 PM - 2 May, 2014
Great work!
radikarl 11:19 AM - 3 May, 2014
updated image slideshow with three new parameters, controllable from the overlay windows in mix emergency

X position
Y position
Size

defaults to:
- XY position (0,0) - center of the screen
- full screen size

redownlowad from the link above :)
Dj Wunder 9:04 PM - 3 May, 2014
These are really cool radikarl, thanks for sharing!

I had a couple questions:

1. How difficult is it to add video capabilities to your slideshow qtz?

2. I'm having a hard time with the logo transition, it seems to reverse the ME crossfader, and I've added my png logo to the settings tab but it still says "Your logo" during the transition
dj jamalot 9:09 PM - 3 May, 2014
i'm not getting the links or back to your Facebook to like the page...?
radikarl 9:44 PM - 3 May, 2014
DJ wunder
You have to edit the transition wlth Quartz composer
Drag your image into the Editor and wire it to the "Mask" Patch

Or pm me a link with your logo and i can try to help you out :)
radikarl 9:48 PM - 3 May, 2014
DJ jamalot
You should only have to click the like button
Then click where it says "click here to verify"
If that doesn't help try reloading the page or send me a pm and i can help you out with the links :)
radikarl 9:57 PM - 3 May, 2014
DJ wunder

I have one for Movie files but

- It works only with MOVs, not with mp4
- It seems to cause crashes with ME after a while.
- It swaps (no smooth fade but sharp cuts)

If you still want it send me a pm
radikarl 11:12 AM - 5 May, 2014
New file is up:

"A Quartz file for Mix Emergency which will flash colors depending on the position inside a bar.
1 flashes red,
2 flashes blue,
3 flashes pink,
4 flashes green, repeat.

This is designed as a starting point for you to create your own beat synced effects. You can create Quartz Compositions to display certain images on every downbeat or for every snare in a similar way."

DEMO: Watchwww.youtube.com

(requires accurate beatgrids)
radikarl 12:34 PM - 5 May, 2014
And another:

An effect for Mix Emergency.

Its purpose is to hide the MTV logo (or any other TV station logo) for videos where you ripped them from TV (I sometimes have to do that for german hip hop, then replace the audio with proper CD source)

download at the usual spot, see first post of this discussion
Marine 3:08 PM - 5 May, 2014
on the new quartz flashing colors to the beat in mix emergency what do you have to edit to use different images? Thanks
radikarl 3:19 PM - 5 May, 2014
open the compostion with Quartz Composer

replace each "clear" patch with a "billboard" patch and an image.
connect the cable that currently enables the clear patch to the input that enables the billboard.

Let me know if you need more help. :)
Marine 3:31 PM - 5 May, 2014
Thanks works great
Dj Wunder 2:03 AM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
DJ wunder
You have to edit the transition wlth Quartz composer
Drag your image into the Editor and wire it to the "Mask" Patch

Or pm me a link with your logo and i can try to help you out :)

Thanks radikarl, I successfully edited the quartz logo file with my own logo. I also swapped the left and right image so the cross fader doesn't get reversed
radikarl 11:39 AM - 7 May, 2014
Ah you probably had the logo black on white, thats why you have to revert the direction. Thats what the interface macro patch is for.

My sample logo file is white logo on black background ;)
Dj Wunder 3:43 AM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
Ah you probably had the logo black on white, thats why you have to revert the direction. Thats what the interface macro patch is for.

My sample logo file is white logo on black background ;)

Thanks that worked!
radikarl 6:30 PM - 15 May, 2014
I've updated the Image Slideshow Quartz Composition for Serato Video and MixEmergency
New features:
- Now also Scratchable in Serato Video (Tick setting with Quartz Composer and save)
- Added a randomize option. When ticked, images will be picked at random instead of alphabetical order. (selectable on the fly directly from within Mix Emergency, or to be set in Quartz Composer for Serato Video)
- Added a "next media" trigger (Can be MIDI Mapped in Mix Emergency)
- Added a "Pause" toggle (Can be MIDI mapped in Mix Emergency)
Re-download from www.radikarl.de (same link)
Culprit 6:46 PM - 15 May, 2014
Your the man, put up a donate button please
radikarl 9:11 PM - 15 May, 2014
there is one at the bottom of the downloads page now.
radikarl 9:14 AM - 4 June, 2014
Quote:
1. How difficult is it to add video capabilities to your slideshow qtz?

Quote:
I have one for Movie files but

- It works only with MOVs, not with mp4
- It seems to cause crashes with ME after a while.
- It swaps (no smooth fade but sharp cuts)

Mix Emergency 2.6 has just been released.
Its amazing and among other things, it contains this fix:

Quote:
Fixed a bug that could cause a crash after loading many Quartz Compositions containing the Movie Importer patch.

(www.inklen.com)

So I will release the Quartz file that cycles trough a folder of video clips mentioned above tonight when I get home
radikarl 4:15 PM - 4 June, 2014
up and ready for you.

www.facebook.com <- read this or go to the first post and click the link ;)

No time for a demo video right now but will record one next week hopefully
Dj Wunder 8:52 PM - 9 June, 2014
Quote:
up and ready for you.

Awesome, looking forward to trying this out!
radikarl 2:28 PM - 5 July, 2014
Quote:
up and ready for you.

Actually took me a month instead of a week but here it is

Watchwww.youtube.com
Nellyc 5:09 PM - 7 July, 2014
Hi Can anyone tell me how to open this in Serato, I want to use the slideshow?
DJGongshow 12:17 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
New file is up:

"A Quartz file for Mix Emergency which will flash colors depending on the position inside a bar.
1 flashes red,
2 flashes blue,
3 flashes pink,
4 flashes green, repeat.

This is designed as a starting point for you to create your own beat synced effects. You can create Quartz Compositions to display certain images on every downbeat or for every snare in a similar way."

(requires accurate beatgrids)

This has really inspired me to try again to link beatgrids to my DMX lighting, and I think I'm about an inch away from making it work… I've taken your beat colors.qtz and wired the conditionals to standard midi controller sender patch inputs to play notes that my lighting desk can read.

However, it stops output after 4 beats. Your patch runs perpetually in Quartz Overlay, so I must be doing something wrong. Any advice? Here's the midi trace output

20:06:13.244 To MacBook Pro Pitch Wheel 1 -8192
20:06:13.244 To MacBook Pro Control 1 Modulation Wheel (coarse) 50
20:06:13.635 To MacBook Pro Pitch Wheel 1 -8192
20:06:13.635 To MacBook Pro Control 1 Modulation Wheel (coarse) 0
20:06:14.620 To MacBook Pro Pitch Wheel 1 -8192
20:06:14.620 To MacBook Pro Control 1 Modulation Wheel (coarse) 38
20:06:19.072 To MacBook Pro Pitch Wheel 1 -8192
20:06:19.072 To MacBook Pro Control 1 Modulation Wheel (coarse) 25

Please advise, and thanks!
Jon
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:13 AM - 25 July, 2014
What lighting software are you using?? I've been wanting the same thing with SDJ and ShowXpress. Could you please share, I'd be greatly appreciated!!
DJGongshow 10:51 AM - 25 July, 2014
I'm using Lightjams (www.lightjams.com)… it's a reasonably priced package that lets you create automated motion and effects based on audio, video or MIDI sources. It will take MIDI clock as an input too, but it seems that's not yet possible out of SDJ or MixEmergency, so playing MIDI notes on the beat markers through QC would be an effective and pretty amazing workaround for now.
Culprit 7:55 PM - 25 July, 2014
I have the Rane 62z which has midi clock output

serato.com

Thanks for Sharing DJGongshow, good questions Soundinsurgent, this i will be looking into!
Culprit 8:34 PM - 25 July, 2014
Anyone have any experience with Q Light Controller Plus?

sourceforge.net

It shows that it accepts midi beat clock

"MIDI support of Notes, Control Change, Program Change and Beat clock"

Best part is this software is free and very active
Culprit 8:35 PM - 25 July, 2014
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:35 AM - 26 July, 2014
Man this could be the answer as my 800 or my Ecler send a clock out.

Looks like I gotta study up on this!!

Thanks Culprit!!
Culprit 10:53 PM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Man this could be the answer as my 800 or my Ecler send a clock out.

Looks like I gotta study up on this!!

Thanks Culprit!!

This dude is making crazy progress on this application. I currently have this dongle

www.amazon.com

I don't think it will work properly so I think I may need to purchase this one

www.amazon.com

or build my own with this guide

stevenbreuls.com

I love shielded cat6 cable, I am considering making mini snakes since you get 4 channels per line.
radikarl 9:43 AM - 28 July, 2014
i think if you seriously want DMX control from mix emergencys quartz overlay, you should look into this hardware:
www.enttec.com

I'm crazy busy these days but its on my list of things to try out at some stage
Nick 11:22 AM - 28 July, 2014
In theory you could use the Effect Parameters that are handed to a Quartz Composition effect in the FX Sequencer to animate the MIDI values.
DJGongshow 12:22 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
i think if you seriously want DMX control from mix emergencys quartz overlay, you should look into this hardware:
www.enttec.com

Yes that's what I use... iPad scene control from Luminair, Lightjams for motion and video colour analysis, both over ArtNet to Enttec ODE.

For quartz overlay beatgrid I have tried the apple MIDI controller send patch, the Kineme Global MIDI Note Send patch and the Kineme ArtNet send patch but the latter two didn't output anything, could be a beta issue.

I also tried Waveclock and was able to get its MIDI clock all the way through to Lightjams but the beat timing isn't as precise as it would be coming from MixEmergency.

Still working on it, I'll update you if I get anywhere with it.

Great video for Sight Kicks!
DJGongshow 12:32 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
In theory you could use the Effect Parameters that are handed to a Quartz Composition effect in the FX Sequencer to animate the MIDI values.

You're reading my mind... that would be a killer combination of visual and lighting effect. I just need to get the MIDI notes to play past the first bar and I'll be on it!

Maybe a future feature of MixEmergency? I'd buy that in a heartbeat.
DJGongshow 10:50 PM - 28 July, 2014
Hi Nick, I tried using a MIDI modification of Radikarl's beat colors.qtz file with the FX sequencer as you suggested in the hope that it would continue to fire past 4 beats, perhaps because it's getting called over again.

However I didn't get any output using this method. Also when using the same composition as quartz overlay, if I turn it off and on again the composition doesn't restart the MIDI output.

On the other hand, if I change the overlay composition to something else, like Radikarl's original beat colors.qtz file, and then reload my modification, it plays again for 4 beats before stopping

Two questions:
1. Radikarl's beat colors.qtz file works perfectly as a quartz overlay but not in the FX sequencer. Do you have a sample quartz file that I could use as a starting point instead for the purpose of firing a message on the beat the sequencer is on?

2. When using MIDI patch, is it possible that QC runtime is crashing out, rather than being incorrectly patched? Is there a way I can debug to find out, or can I alternatively send you the composition to check out if this is the case? I'm using MIDI Monitor app to listen for signals.

Thanks in advance for your advice, connecting MixEmergency to DMX through MIDI messages and/or clock would be a major leap in visual experience.
Nick 8:20 AM - 29 July, 2014
Maybe you can send me an e-mail about it, along with the Quartz Composition you have created, and I can have a quick look for you. My contact details are here: www.inklen.com
Dj Smoog Mty 9:20 PM - 12 September, 2014
thank
controversial 6:03 AM - 4 December, 2014
I use my dmx with ME 2.6 on mac osx, can you guys make a qtz file or find a way that midi clock can trigger my scenes as MYdmx 2.0 dose not support sound to light.
Culprit 7:56 PM - 2 January, 2015
Radikarl, how hard would it be to modify the slideshow to cycle through images and videos? Can this be done? Is it easy to do?
radikarl 6:42 PM - 8 January, 2015
use the quartz slider and put a video slider and an image slider in the folder
whenever the quartz slider picks the video slider => video
whenever the quartz slider picks the image slider => image

does that work for you? :D
Culprit 7:16 PM - 8 January, 2015
Okay that would be cool. You have quartz comps for both video and images , which one should I use?
Culprit 7:17 PM - 8 January, 2015
Wait I get it now lol, thanks
DJGongshow 2:38 PM - 11 February, 2015
Anybody know if passing a cue point in Serato generates a MIDI signal or something MixEmergency can pick up for QTZ control?

MIDI note pulse on the beat is working amazingly well thanks to Radikarl and Nick, and I was thinking of changing lighting scenes automatically as cue points are passed passively (as opposed to hitting a cue button)
SeriousCyrus 2:55 PM - 11 February, 2015
Quote:
Anybody know if passing a cue point in Serato generates a MIDI signal or something MixEmergency can pick up for QTZ control?

MIDI note pulse on the beat is working amazingly well thanks to Radikarl and Nick, and I was thinking of changing lighting scenes automatically as cue points are passed passively (as opposed to hitting a cue button)

I made a qc file using MIDI inputs from my sixty two for a projection mapping overlay, but I could not get any MIDI from the cue buttons, only the EQs, Filters, Faders and the FX depth.

I don't think serato itself does MIDI out, but you can use the MIDI patches in QC to receive signals directly from your equipment. But at least as far as the sixty two was concerned, even though I could detect the sent MIDI signals from the cues with MIDI Monitor, the QC patches refused to pick them up.

For reference, here's a qc file with the MIDI inputs lableled from the sixty two. (It only contains the MIDI controllers patch, the cue buttons *should* come through the MIDI notes patch).

www.seriouscyrus.com
radikarl 10:17 AM - 12 February, 2015
Serato Video can output the position of the first cue point.

you could compare that with the playhead position (make sure to apply some smoothing) and feed it into a conditional patch, triggering whatever you want

unfortunately only in Serato Video (not in Mix Emergeny) and only the first cue point.

I would have to look up what the input name was.
SeriousCyrus 4:16 PM - 12 February, 2015
Oh, i see what you mean now. Think i looked at this before too, didn't find a way to do it. Started thinking the way to do it would be a custom plugin that reads the Id3 tags of the playing track, and i'm only guessing thats where they're stored. I wanted to see if i could extract the waveform too.
Justin James 5:01 PM - 1 August, 2016
hey.. Ver ME 3.1.0 the countdown clock only adds 10 second countdown & i cant change the value?? thanks radikarl
radikarl 6:04 PM - 1 August, 2016
Hey Justin
Did you watch the video?
Did it work for you in older versions?

It makes no difference for me
Justin James 6:16 PM - 1 August, 2016
First time using it.. When I go to the values window ( 600 / radikarl *start button ) I alter the time value & it works ok, if I then alter the time value for another project it stays at the first time value I set & I can not change it.. Weird huh...
radikarl 8:22 AM - 2 August, 2016
you have to press enter after typing the new value for it to be applied.
Justin James 12:10 PM - 2 August, 2016
Yeah did that.. Deleted the file & started again & it's now working.. Yay!! Is there anyway to move the countdown as when it resignates to the bottom right it's being cropped off slightly?!
radikarl 2:13 PM - 2 August, 2016
you would have to edit the qtz file with quartz composer
Justin James 4:01 PM - 2 August, 2016
Ok, I've no idea what you just said, haha..
Culprit 5:18 PM - 2 August, 2016
Justin James 5:33 PM - 2 August, 2016
Thanks guys..
Justin James 6:58 PM - 2 August, 2016
Ok, I've been sat looking at the file opened in the Quartz composer & it's like looking at my old divorce papers, confusing AF.. Sorry to be a pain, any advice on how to move this image up a on the screen so it's not being cut off?!
Justin James 9:52 AM - 3 August, 2016
Radikarl, it's telling me I can not adjust the parameters in that file in QC. Hmmm..
radikarl 9:54 AM - 3 August, 2016
Ive added a user controllable final position. re download the file and let me know how you get on.
Justin James 10:02 AM - 3 August, 2016
that sir is spot on!! thanks for your time radikarl.......
Justin James 1:37 AM - 4 August, 2016
Yoooo!! Anyway to alter the string font on the Countdown Qtz?!
radikarl 12:34 PM - 4 August, 2016
I use this one, should be used automatically when you install it in your system

www.dafont.com

otherwise you can select any installed font by editing the QTZ file
Culprit 4:52 PM - 4 August, 2016
Justin, the idea is that Radikarl provides the base and you modify how you want. Which is why we recommended you dive right in and start learning quartz composition :)
Culprit 4:53 PM - 4 August, 2016
Also, that donate button needs love too
Justin James 5:16 PM - 4 August, 2016
Culprit, I am learning & I will be donating.. :)
Deemer 6:51 PM - 17 August, 2016
I am totally new to Quartz Compositions and I was wondering if you could help me out.

I am in the process of creating a logo which contains elements that are linked to low, mid, and high. I just have no idea which patches to use in order to setup serato as my input, and how to link these to my images.

Do you have a video or a guide to help me with this?
radikarl 10:07 AM - 19 August, 2016
Deemer,

You will need to publish inputs from Serato Video or Mixemergncy in your quartz file, and use the correct variable names:
serato Video: kSSV_SeratoDataOutputFFTBins input which gives you a 8 dimensional structure object (8 data points in one element) and then connect it to up to 8 "structure index member" patches with indices 0 to 7, to split them into individually usable outputs.

Mix Emergency does it the same way but the variable name is AudioSpectrum1

If you want me to code this for you, I could do that but it would be a paid job as its quite a bit of work, and individually tailored at your logo, so not beneficial to anyone else.
I'm estimating 2 hours work for me, but it depends a bit on the complexity of the logo.

Send me an email if you're interested and we can take it from there. =)
Res-Q 3:19 PM - 19 August, 2016
Radikarl is a beast when it comes to Quartz, a safe investment imo