DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Streaming Live Broadcasdts - Recommendations

DJ_Gonzo 5:58 PM - 28 April, 2014
I have been an active broadcaster with my DJing shows for the past 3 years. I have used UStream, DaCast, Justin Live TV and recently Streaming Video Provider.

The issue, obviously with the free services, is that your viewers will be forced to sit through advertisements....well, that is unless they have installed a third party app to remedy that.

UStream is too expensive in paying for their service. I do like that there is a chat feature and you can see how many viewers are online viewing your stream, but again, it's expensive with them.

DaCast is a service that I have grown to enjoy using...with the exception of not having the chat and ability to see how many viewers are online... If they would get these implemented...it will be a good hit. Their service is around $25 monthly and it's advertisement free for your viewers.

Justin TV, i had too many issues with their service.

Streaming Video Provider, I'm new to using them as of April 27, 2014....so I don't have much input on them...yet. Their service starts at $15 per month ad free for your viewers. So far, it's been a pretty decent service. I've not come into issues with them and may pay for a subscription as I'm on their trial service.

Anyone else have input on DJ friendly, advertisement free streaming services? I understand to get the advertisement free service, we will have to pay...and I'm fine with that...as long as it can be kept to $25 or under per month.

Thank you for any feedback on this.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:21 AM - 30 April, 2014
RIP Stickam....
DJ_Gonzo 12:54 AM - 30 April, 2014
Johnny.....was that you in this video? :-p

youtu.be
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:34 AM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:

youtu.be

Yes....

How did you track me down?
DJ_Gonzo 10:45 AM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

youtu.be

Yes....

How did you track me down?

I'm good like that. ;-)

I hadn't ever heard of Stckam, but from what I've learned now that it's shutdown....seems to have been a good service.

I'm still in search. I stream using Telestream's Wirecast software, which ihas been pretty solid for me to work with.

I like DaCast, but they don't have two of the features I want...a chat integrated feature and the ability to see how many viewers are tuned in during a broadcast. At $25 a month, it's a good deal, but again....to me....it's not got the two features I want.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:27 AM - 30 April, 2014
Man, Stickam was the Napster of Web Streaming....

You could see ANY and EVERYTHING....for free.....
DJ_Gonzo 12:22 PM - 30 April, 2014
I really like he settings I've configured for Ustream and DaCast, and the quality showed to my viewers from both sites is very good. I wish Ustream wasn't so damn expensive to nix the ads and I wish DaCast would finally implement the two changes I want.

Here's a recording through Ustream of a set I performed yesterday where I just pulled random tracks to test more configuration tweaks.

Watchvimeo.com
ral 2:08 PM - 30 April, 2014
you can stream live with youtube! (and it will record automatically too for archiving)
DJ_Gonzo 2:26 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
you can stream live with youtube! (and it will record automatically too for archiving)

Ah yes, thank you for this info.

My worry with streaming live with them is the music copyrights.

I have uploaded some videos of me mixing in the past from previous sets and I got warnings on them about copyright record label warnings.

If we stream, as DJs, I imagine the same would happen.

I do have an account in good standing, but have never streamed on YouTube.

Have you done it with success? If so, odd you stream using their software or did you use another software to do this?

I use Wirecast and have it set for great quality streams and would rather not be forced to use any other software.

Also, do you know if there's a way to see how many viewers you have and is there a chat feature?

Thanks for any input on this.
deezlee 12:51 AM - 20 August, 2014
i'm looking for a streaming service as well, what did you decide to use?
DJ_Gonzo 1:48 AM - 20 August, 2014
Quote:
i'm looking for a streaming service as well, what did you decide to use?

Hi Deezlee, I have decided on Livestream.

Check them out my friend. Free of service and no interruptions. Only set back I've come across is that iOS users can't access the broadcasts as of yet.

Keep 'em spinnin'
modah 10:11 AM - 9 September, 2014
unltd.fm seems to have a pretty good interface for live broadcasting, I signed up for a BETA account and I'm waiting for it to be activated.
DJ_Gonzo 10:13 AM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
unltd.fm seems to have a pretty good interface for live broadcasting, I signed up for a BETA account and I'm waiting for it to be activated.

Thanks Modah.

Heading there now to give them a try as well. ;-)
deezlee 3:41 PM - 10 September, 2014
i used dailymotion for our show last week, the recorded stream's sych is a little off, but it is free with no midvideo ads. it is hard to tell when it's starting because there is no "start" button, it just starts broadcasting at the scheduled time.
Alex_Hudson 11:11 AM - 1 July, 2015
I have been using Streaming Video Provider for quite a while for live broadcast and their service is much stable. I use it mainly to sell videos when live streaming with Wirecast and the unique thing is they do not take any percentage on my earnings, just charge me on monthly basis for the plan I have and all purchase goes directly to my paypal account. They have phone and chat support which is nice as well:

www.streamingvideoprovider.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:30 AM - 2 July, 2015
Can you stream a show on twitch
Wyatt Clayton 11:47 AM - 13 July, 2015
I am very happy with Streaming Video Provider. The service is very good, indeed. No failures and interruptions during my live events. I stream with different encoders, mainly Flash Media Live Encoder. Highly recommend them:

www.streamingvideoprovider.com
Marcushhh 1:13 AM - 15 July, 2015
Quote:
Can you stream a show on twitch

Yes, you can.

www.twitch.tv

Not many people do it, but it is possible. It's mostly people playing EDM. There are also 24/7 streams made by EDM labels such as Spinnin and Monstercat that simply play music as if you were listening to the radio with no commercials or hosts.
DJ_Gonzo 12:03 AM - 23 March, 2020
Okay all...going to bring this thread back to life...

Facebook continually will shut down a live stream with our mixes...so where are you all streaming to these days with video of you playing on the wheels?

I stream through Wirecast, but need somewhere that I can stream my content through. I use to use DaCast but they charge for their service about $240 a year. Trying to limit the spending for this service to no more than $100 a year or free if possible.