Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato how much money do you want ?

gianluigi 12:47 PM - 23 April, 2014
Hello Serato staff, i bought a TTM57SL with SL, Video SL, Serato Remote, Vestax 300 with itch and 380 with Serato DJ, now i want to by a Numark Edge but to use this controller i need to buy 129 USD for Serato DJ;
i think it's absurd, I've already bought enough times your software and i want to use.
How many times you want to sell to me your software?
I'm a DJ not Bill Gates
DJSpeedLV 7:45 AM - 24 April, 2014
first of all.. you got me curious so I looked into it

-the software is free download for the 57SL and your SL box.
-Serato Remote and Video is optional and you didn't have to buy it
-Itch came free as a bundle with the Vestax 300 so technically you didn't buy Itch
-Vestax 380 uses itch and serato dj which is a free download.

so comes to numark edge.. its also a free if you use serato dj intro.... you don't have to spend 129.... but then again this will be the first time u actually buy the software
WarpNote 9:25 AM - 24 April, 2014
Well, that's one way of seeing it. All of his hardware came bundled with serato software. If it didn't, then the SL1, 57 and 300 etc. would not sell as well as they did. Its a license deal, done between serato and the manufacturers, and ultimately the end user pays that price when purchasing the hardeware. Serato's has been very generous with free updates however, for the most part, not counting the recent FX & PnT expansions.
(which still are very reasonably priced IMO)

A Serato user for a long time myself, I've invested in serato hardware from Rane (SL1, SL4, 68), Pioneer (DJM900SRT, DDJ-SX, DDJ-SP1), Novation (Dicers) & Denon (HC1000S).

For a long time been I have been looking for something like the Numark Edge to come along, something to put in my backpack, to use for preparing sets while on the go. However, the combined price of the edge + SDJ license does somewhat add up quite a bit when you look at what the edge will be capable of pulling off. - no performance pads, channel gain, 3 band eq etc.

I guess one way Serato could differentiate software pricing, is to offer one version of SDJ for each controller, so the Mixtrack Edge version would have less features than the bigger/more hardware. It could be managed as an expansion pack/restricted license. However I suspect this would turn out to be very hard to manage for Serato (both licensing & marketing), and would also make it harder for users to upgrade/crossgrade hardware....

So, I'm patiently hoping for some sort of SDJ sale, while saving up...
- Also have other hardware priorities... CDJ2000nxs, and they ain't cheap... ;-)
deejdave 10:51 AM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
I guess one way Serato could differentiate software pricing, is to offer one version of SDJ for each controller, so the Mixtrack Edge version would have less features than the bigger/more hardware. It could be managed as an expansion pack/restricted license.

This is kind of the whole concept of Serato DJ Intro in a nutshell, No? Controller specific & restricted, managed as an expansion pack (SDJ upgrade) just about sums it up.

@ gianluigi - as DJSpeedLV said. You never actually paid for SDJ. Just as many SSL users are forgetting they purchased their SSL hardware with the intention of using SSL (itch with Itch, SDJ Intro with SDJ Intro) As far as I know SSL still works so Serato has fulfilled their end of the bargain. The fact that they included them & itch as free upgrades was a bonus they did NOT have to do. I know it gets frustrating BUT if its any help the money will be well spent.
Sam Soul 1:07 PM - 24 April, 2014
I was hesitant to by the 62 after the 57 support issue. However, the day I bought the 62, I realized why every DJ needs to upgrade to the new series.

Why would you want to mix something with inferior sound recording, response, and other issues? I am an industry standard guy, but when you are spinning videos--you should expect to upgrade. You might be able to make the money to cover the mixer in two shows rather than 15.
WarpNote 3:27 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
This is kind of the whole concept of Serato DJ Intro in a nutshell, No? Controller specific & restricted, managed as an expansion pack (SDJ upgrade) just about sums it up.

Yes and maybe no...
Aa SDJ 1.6.2 now supports the Numark Edge. However spending an extra 129,- to be able to manage my beatgrids while connected to it, might seem a kinda steep? It is what it is I guess, not complaining.

I'll probably end up getting it either way, as it is a really nice option to have while on the road, travelling or at my office. I Don't have room for a full setup at work, keep my main setup at home, but still nice to prep some sets when I'm at the office...
deejdave 4:18 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes and maybe no...
Aa SDJ 1.6.2 now supports the Numark Edge. However spending an extra 129,- to be able to manage my beatgrids while connected to it, might seem a kinda steep? It is what it is I guess, not complaining.

I'll probably end up getting it either way, as it is a really nice option to have while on the road, travelling or at my office. I Don't have room for a full setup at work, keep my main setup at home, but still nice to prep some sets when I'm at the office...

Yeh I hear ya. I'm still waiting on a mobile based library management & editing app for Serato. We are on the go more often than not and could prove useful just as this controller does for its mobile characteristics.
Marc Stretch 5:07 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
I was hesitant to by the 62 after the 57 support issue. However, the day I bought the 62, I realized why every DJ needs to upgrade to the new series.

Why would you want to mix something with inferior sound recording, response, and other issues? I am an industry standard guy, but when you are spinning videos--you should expect to upgrade. You might be able to make the money to cover the mixer in two shows rather than 15.

+1
gianluigi 8:55 PM - 24 April, 2014
my point of view i'ts different:
-the software is free download for the 57SL and your SL box: "i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald";
- Serato Remote and Video is optional and you didn't have to buy it " I bought an expansion for Serato Softwate";
- Itch came free as a bundle with the Vestax 300 so technically you didn't buy Itch: "it's the same i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald"; 2° Payment for SW
- Vestax 380 uses itch and serato dj which is a free download: "it's the same i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald"; 3° Payment for SW;
yes i download after serato DJ in free download but i think it's normally to have an upgrade for a new controller;

i think i pay some money to use serato and i think i can decide with witch controller i want to use.
You understand the game of serato, he sell and resell the SW for ever becouse user continue to follow the tecnology, i think it's politically scorrect.
i love serato SW but i'm tired of paying more.
deejdave 9:18 PM - 24 April, 2014
Quote:
-the software is free download for the 57SL and your SL box: "i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald";

The software was free and still is free for anyone to download. In order to activate the online mode you must have a native mixer or sound card. - THIS IS WHERE YOU PAYED FOR SSL

Quote:
- Itch came free as a bundle with the Vestax 300 so technically you didn't buy Itch: "it's the same i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald"; 2° Payment for SW

Again anyone can download Itch even to this day. You must have the hardware in order to activate. - THIS IS WHERE YOU PAYED FOR ITCH

Quote:
- Vestax 380 uses itch and serato dj which is a free download: "it's the same i bought Hardware WITH software not free downoald"; 3° Payment for SW;

- THIS IS WHERE YOU PAYED FOR ITCH AGAIN

May I ask at which point did you buy a controller with the intention of using it with Serato DJ? I seem to be missing it.

As far as the software and paying for upgrades. From SSL 1.0 - 2.5 EVERY update was FREE. With Itch ver. 1-2.2.2 was all free. Serato DJ has not yet charged for an update.

All three are separate from the other so all three must be payed for in some way. The guys at Serato were nice enough to allow the owners of professional gear to use SDJ at no charge. That being said BOTH your VCI-300 and your VCI-380 are professional controllers so they include a professional license that is built in to your hardware and applies to THAT specific hardware only. It does not cover beginner controllers in which an upgrade fee must be payed due to the fact the beginner controllers include a license for Serato DJ Intro only. If this were any other way how would this work? Basically if you know ANYONE with a professional controller you can get your software unlocked simply by plugging their unit into your laptop?

There have been many ideas on this topic and I believe in the future they will change up this method in favor of the users but for now this is what they have. It will be worth it in the end. With the price of $129.................. that's less than one hour of DJing. Kind of worth it no?
Mighty Dragon Sounds 10:11 PM - 24 April, 2014
I put all the expenses on my taxes and get the money back.....

I don't know how many of you guys are filing your expenses when you are doing your taxes
SOUNDWAVES DJ 4:28 PM - 26 April, 2014
Here's a scenario I purchased SDJ for my personal controller I get a gig at a club that has their own controller (different than mine) do I have to pay again for SDJ to be able to use it with my Laptop on the other controller?
deejdave 4:30 PM - 26 April, 2014
No you can use your license with any controller that needs it. The only issue here is I don't think any club will have any beginner controllers installed. Not trying to insult just being realistic. The controllers that need the license are the supported SDJ Intro cntrollers.
deejdave 4:32 PM - 26 April, 2014
The good news there are again the pro controllers and mixers/interfaces that use Serato DJ have the activations built in so you are literally good no matter what you walk into.
gianluigi 5:50 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
The good news there are again the pro controllers and mixers/interfaces that use Serato DJ have the activations built in so you are literally good no matter what you walk into.

i undesrtand your super pro SERATO but the problem i'ts fine, becouse the point it's "FREEDOM OR NOT FREEDOM", many computers have onboard Windows but exist a procedure to request a refund if i don'wont Windows and i wont to work with another SO, and if i want to play my 380 with traktor or virtual DJ why i puy for the serato DJ?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:09 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
, and if i want to play my 380 with traktor or virtual DJ why i puy for the serato DJ?

Umm... VCI380 works with Serato DJ No license needed.
So what the problem is?
deejdave 6:12 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
and if i want to play my 380 with traktor or virtual DJ why i puy for the serato DJ?

NOT to mention NOBODY said you HAD to puy (buy btw) the SDJ license. As a matter of fact what are you even trying to say and who are you responding to as NONE of that made any sense.......................
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:15 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:

i love serato SW but i'm tired of paying more.

Im tire of paying my mortgage, electric bill, gas bill, car bill, insurance, diapers, etc etc.

I have to do it, for my family sake!

If you have VCI380 Serato DJ is "FREE" so you are not paying anything else!
deejdave 6:53 PM - 26 April, 2014
Is this guy implying that if a laptop comes with Windows and you purchase it you can request a refund from Microsoft if you don't want to use it?
gianluigi 7:25 PM - 26 April, 2014
you think it's free but when the Vestax or Pioneer contact serato to insert the perfect compatibility with SW the brand pay the licence, you think serato give the SW gratis??? you really think this?
The controller cost 599$ but with Serato you pay 699$, ok it's a bundle and for you serato DJ it's free but you pay !
deejdave 7:31 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
you think it's free but when the Vestax or Pioneer contact serato to insert the perfect compatibility with SW the brand pay the licence, you think serato give the SW gratis??? you really think this?
The controller cost 599$ but with Serato you pay 699$, ok it's a bundle and for you serato DJ it's free but you pay !

You may be forgetting the fact that the controller were designed specifically for Serato. Hence the activations built into the unit. As in NO Serato No controller. You can't buy an album compilation and request a refund for the songs you don't listen to can you? This is all or nothing situation. Just like Windows which you brought up. You CAN'T get a refund from Microsoft if you buy a laptop with Windows built in either so I am not sure why you used that example.

What Products Are Not Eligible for a Refund?
-Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software preloaded on a PC (contact the PC manufacturer)
-Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software sold separately from PC (contact the reseller or retailer)

DIRECTLY from Microsoft website. Serato is the OEM software in this situation as in you're wrong.
gianluigi 7:35 PM - 26 April, 2014
deejdave 7:41 PM - 26 April, 2014
Microsoft does not provide refunds for Windows licenses sold through an OEM, including licenses that come with the purchase of a computer or are pre-installed on a computer.[20] A Microsoft Denmark representative stated that Microsoft's Windows license terms allow OEMs to offer a refund for just the Windows license.[21] According to Microsoft's End User License Agreement for Windows 7, the ability to receive a refund for the operating system is determined by the hardware manufacturer:[2

OEM policies for refunding unused Windows licenses vary. Some OEMs have programs that specifically allow a user to receive a refund for an unused Windows license. Acer US has a Windows refund program where a user can ship a computer with an unused copy of Windows to the Acer service center and have the computer returned without Windows for a refund.[24] Acer's policy requires the customer to return items at their own expense, and the balance received by the customer can be as low as €30.[25] Other vendors, like Dell, have ad hoc procedures for users to request a refund of a Windows license.[26] In some cases, vendors have asked that customers requesting refunds sign non-disclosure agreements.[27][28] Still other vendors, such as Lenovo, have return policies that do not allow for a partial refund for just the Windows license, requiring the entire computer to be returned to obtain a refund.[29] Litigation by users denied a partial refund for the unused Windows license has resulted in rulings in France and Italy that bundling Microsoft Windows and then refusing to offer partial refunds for just the Windows license violates applicable law.[30][31][32]

Directly from YOUR link.
Acer offers this. Acer is a hardware manufacturer. Pioneer, Vestax, Rane, Behringer, ReLoop, Denon, etc. are all hardware manufacturers. Serato is NOT a hardware manufacturer. Serato is the Windows in this equation as in they do NOT offer refunds. Taken from your own link "the ability to receive a refund for the operating system is determined by the hardware manufacturer"

Understand?

Although I don't think this will happen as this is a product specific agreement. That is Microsoft's policy Did you even take a glance at the user agreement you agreed to the day you purchased your hardware?
gianluigi 7:42 PM - 26 April, 2014
is not equal but similar, becouse a computer need a SO to start and in this case I CAN don' use the SO preistalled and require the reimbursement, in my situation the controller don't have installed a SO but need a computer with perfect SW to start and this perfect SW in "BUNDLE" it's serato.
deejdave 7:48 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
is not equal but similar, becouse a computer need a SO to start and in this case I CAN don' use the SO preistalled and require the reimbursement, in my situation the controller don't have installed a SO but need a computer with perfect SW to start and this perfect SW in "BUNDLE" it's serato.

Again lost at what you just said but the point remains that directly using the information you linked you need to ask the hardware developer if you can get a refund for the license. You will then have to ship your unit in at your expense (just as mentioned in the link you provided) and they will strip the controller of its license. The controller will be then considered valueless resale wise BUT if you plan on keeping forever this is fine.

Just remember this is all hypothetical as I don't think any of this will work. Why would it?
gianluigi 8:16 PM - 26 April, 2014
because freedom of choice is the first rule of all
deejdave 8:26 PM - 26 April, 2014
Yeah as in you CHOSE to purchase the controller. When you CHOOSE to do this you agree to their rules. NO ONE made you purchase it though unless you are saying otherwise.

You can also choose to not use Serato license it came with. The manufacturer also has the choice not to refund the money being you agreed to the terms the second you purchased the controller. THIS is how commerce works. End user agreements are in place for a reason. Reading them is a very important factor in making purchases. I am guessing you also chose not to read it.

Just remember you purchased a controller and Serato DJ. You should have purchased just a controller if you did not intend on using Serato DJ no?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:27 PM - 26 April, 2014
Quote:
because freedom of choice is the first rule of all

You have the freedom not to use Serato :)
WildcardX 8:59 PM - 26 April, 2014
....And all this continues... C'mon man this is just how Serato is, and as mentioned, if you like Serato then you have to fall in line. It's just like the H/W requirements for it to work, that's just he way it is. Nothing you say here is going to change that aspect because that is the Ethos. There is Android and iOS. I am not keen on how Apple does stuff but I can see the benefit of it and acknowledge it yet still I prefer to have an Android device. There are people that can see the benefit of Serato and even to their methodology, I am not PRO Serato but I can appreciate how they are doing things and the fact that I prefer how it works; given that they are still working on stuff for it as this applies to how different companies develop their product. People are whining about this that and the other with Serato, but geez even the Great Microsoft did Windows ME and Vista and people complain until better came and STILL they complained...

(Ok I will end my rant now, just a bit fed up of seeing all the threads about Serato This and Serato That and Serato won't work with my air conditioner or my VW Bug.)
gianluigi 9:40 PM - 26 April, 2014
sorry but we're coming out of topic, I'm not criticizing the team Serato, I have not criticized the software, I simply expressed my opinion on the fact that for advanced users who already have 2/3/4 licenses should be each time asking for money for other licenses in bundled with controller.
Everyone is free to think what they want and express themselves, it is an open forum for those who are angry do not read
WildcardX 10:25 PM - 26 April, 2014
If you bought an Intro controller to only realize afterwards that you need to purchase a license I don't think that it is Team Serato's fault. I bought an SB and on the box it said Serato Intro and details said it was upgrade-able to Serato DJ. So what's the point in dragging this on. I was able to see that damn, this Serato thing ain't o joke and you got to buy the proper gear as it is meant for a different category. I can't see what's so hard in that to understand really. I just learned from it sold the SBand got an SR..Happy camper because my license is paid for..Furthermore, for instance, the SB costs about $249 right now, add a Serato DJ License at $129, that will get you at $328 or there about depending on the cost of the Intro controller, I mean that is a supper price to pay considering that the next step, an SR costs about $600. I guess I don't get it because from where I stand you seem to want the Trial Version of like let's say an Antivirus to be as fully equipped as the full version for Free. Even when you buy a new computer they don't do that, you get trials and then you have to pay. You chose Serato as your poison of choice to make your money, then this is what Serato has to offer, you are free to take it or leave it and that is a powerful choice we have as consumers.
deejdave 12:40 AM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
sorry but we're coming out of topic, I'm not criticizing the team Serato, I have not criticized the software, I simply expressed my opinion on the fact that for advanced users who already have 2/3/4 licenses should be each time asking for money for other licenses in bundled with controller.
Everyone is free to think what they want and express themselves, it is an open forum for those who are angry do not read

A.) I believe the advanced users are all fully aware of the policies and have chosen to abide by them which is one of the benefit of dealing with advanced users.

b.) I may be wrong but it seems you are the one who is angry here. I am very content with how things are.