DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Just bought a Sixty-Four - Sixty-Four owners, input needed. Thanks

6 7:33 PM - 22 April, 2014
So, I know some DJ's are having problems with Serato DJ. What version of Serato DJ are you using with your Sixty-Four? Any issues I should be aware of?

I know that my library may have to change a bit (tidying it up since it's in many folders inside iTunes and Serato DJ doesn't like that too much).

Anything else you'd like to share about your experiences with the Sixty-Four are welcome.

Also, I will be using four 1210 M5G's - not that it should matter but just in case there is input about CDJ's or whatever.

Thank you!

nm
 6 7:45 PM - 22 April, 2014
I will also be using Mix Emergency... so any pointers as to what version to use, etc.

Thanks!

nm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:10 PM - 22 April, 2014
Welcome to the club!
I run on 1.6.1 and the Beta version. No issues. I'm not worthy enough for Video Mixing ;)

I have no pointers but just to enjoy it!
Oh yeah try mixing 4 decks! :)

Check this out
Dubspot DJ instructor OP! demonstrates how to MIDI map the microphone and layer sections on the Rane 64 mixer. More info: bit.ly
Watchwww.youtube.com
 6 12:36 AM - 23 April, 2014
"Oh yeah try mixing 4 decks! :)" That was the main reason for getting this mixer. :)

Thanks for the links!

And I'm very excited about this mixer. Not so much that I have to use Serato DJ. lol

nm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:38 AM - 23 April, 2014
Come on grampa! you can doo it! No way back now! :P
 6 1:42 AM - 23 April, 2014
lol
Averix 7:07 AM - 23 April, 2014
I have the Rane 64 as well and mix on 4 Technics. The issue I have is when connecting my Macbook Pro sometimes the program will not load. Running the current version. You will also notice to if your used to the DJM series the volume faders are pretty close to each other. The mixer is pretty dope tho...
 6 12:17 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
I have the Rane 64 as well and mix on 4 Technics. The issue I have is when connecting my Macbook Pro sometimes the program will not load. Running the current version. You will also notice to if your used to the DJM series the volume faders are pretty close to each other. The mixer is pretty dope tho...

What do you do when it doesn't load? Restart program? Restart laptop?

nm
Averix 1:20 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

nm

There has been many times where the program will freeze the whole computer up so I would have to restart the laptop. I have tried disconnecting the cable but that stop the computer from freezing. What has worked for me most of the time is having the program launched first and then inserting the usb. Sometimes the program won't recognize the hardware. Hopefully they update this soon.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:28 PM - 23 April, 2014
Did you start a support request? Pretty odd....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

There has been many times where the program will freeze the whole computer up so I would have to restart the laptop. I have tried disconnecting the cable but that stop the computer from freezing. What has worked for me most of the time is having the program launched first and then inserting the usb. Sometimes the program won't recognize the hardware. Hopefully they update this soon.
Averix 1:41 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Did you start a support request? Pretty odd....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Actually no I did not. but i think i did see some people have some people have hardware issues as well. Let me know if you experience this as well.
 6 2:11 PM - 23 April, 2014
Thanks for the heads up. Will try both methods (starting program with USB and without) to see if it happens to me.

nm
 6 2:12 PM - 23 April, 2014
Today I got rid of all the folders inside iTunes to help with Serato DJ.

It wasn't very difficult actually.

nm
Averix 2:25 PM - 23 April, 2014
You know I just thought about it now.

Instead of deleting the folders in iTunes, on the software on launch mode just click iTunes off first. Plug in the usb until it recognizes the hardware and then click iTunes on. See if that works better…

the software does not seem stable for gigs yet
 6 4:16 PM - 23 April, 2014
"
the software does not seem stable for gigs yet"

This is what I've seen from quite a bit of users. Kind of scary actually. Good thing I still have a 57 and scratch live.

I will use this at home for the time being.

nm
dj jamalot 7:13 PM - 23 April, 2014
Post a vid of your 4 Deck mixing that should be interesting without Sync...
 6 7:27 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Post a vid of your 4 Deck mixing that should be interesting without Sync...

Slow down there buddy. I'm not there yet. Mixer hasn't even arrived. lol

But no worries, eventually I will upload a video.

nm
 6 7:27 PM - 25 April, 2014
Just a quick update:

So, I've been messing with the 64 and Serato DJ since yesterday. So far no problems with crashes or audio dropouts. My library of 64K files is okay but I did take all the files from their respective folders in iTunes as recommended before hand.

Having fun with 3 channels so far... 2 turntables, 1 internal, until I get the hang of all the features of the mixer and until I change my table setup to accommodate 4 turntables.

In short... LOVING THIS MIXER!!!!!

I miss the joystick on the 57 though (nh) but instant doubles on load is working alright for now.

nm
AKIEM 7:37 PM - 25 April, 2014
Still don't understand why Rane didn't think the joysticks were worthy of passing down to next generations.

Nm
Nicholy 8:11 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Still don't understand why Rane didn't think the joysticks were worthy of passing down to next generations.

Nm

Kids these days.. all touch screens and no analog controls (atari)
 6 8:12 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:

Nm

I know! Plus no one has ever had problems with the joystick vs buttons that I know of.

nm
AKIEM 8:52 PM - 25 April, 2014
Yeah, I've never heard of a single issue with those joysticks. They should bring me back in the future.
Kinda ridiculous they are on the 61 but can only perform one function. Eh

Nm
 6 3:31 PM - 1 May, 2014
What kind of case (if any) did you guys get for your Sixty-Four?

nm
ozfrombk 5:29 PM - 1 May, 2014

Do you own a 62? If so, how does it compare ?

I'm debating whether I should purchase the 62 or the 64. Just seems like you can do much more with the 64 being built specifically for Serato DJ.
 6 6:39 PM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:

Do you own a 62? If so, how does it compare ?

I'm debating whether I should purchase the 62 or the 64. Just seems like you can do much more with the 64 being built specifically for Serato DJ.

I don't own a 62 but I have tried it. I liked the 64 better because I really wanted the 4 channels. The buttons seem better too. They both have their good and bad things in my opinion.

nm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:47 AM - 8 May, 2014
6 did you get your 64 yet??? :)

instagram.com
Rane 64 with 1200s and RP8000s
 6 1:37 AM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
6 did you get your 64 yet??? :)

instagram.com

Yeah man. Love it. I haven't had a chance to use it with 4 turntables though. I need to modify my set up to be able to fit all 4.

nm
DjCity 2:31 AM - 8 May, 2014
I used to own the 62 and I currently own a 64.

IMHO, the 64 blows the 62 away.
Better layout
4 ch's
better feel

That's just ME though.
DJ JT Stevens 1:37 PM - 8 May, 2014
Tracking this. Looking to get a 64 to replace the DJM 800 in my wedding setup. Thanks for all the info so far...keep it coming. (NM)

So from what I've read there's no plan to make this backwards compatible with SSL, correct?

Quote:
instagram.com

Sweet setup X_Trodinaire. Looks beastly.
 6 2:17 PM - 8 May, 2014
That seems to be correct. I haven't heard anything anywhere about the 64 ever being able to support SSL.

nm
DjCity 7:54 PM - 8 May, 2014
64=sdj only unless you use a sl2, sl3 or SL4 but what would be the point.

Trust that the 64 is "Like That"!
DJ JT Stevens 8:38 PM - 8 May, 2014
Word, appreciate the info. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for updates.

Quote:
Trust that the 64 is "Like That"!

Haha, I guess it is huh? If the integration with SDJ is as spot on as they say it is though then that's fine by me.
 6 9:01 PM - 8 May, 2014
Two different animals. I definitely got the 64 so I can utilize my 4 turntables. I've always dreamed of doing that and finally it's going to be a reality for me. Now to get a bigger table for my set up lol

nm
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:27 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
Now to get a bigger table for my set up lol

nm

#realdjproblems LOL!

Talk about table issues, try it with an SZ and 4 turntables :P
pbs.twimg.com
 6 9:45 PM - 8 May, 2014
Oh snap. It's like a buffet court for DJs. lmao
nm
monchi 1:59 AM - 6 October, 2014
Quote:
Two different animals. I definitely got the 64 so I can utilize my 4 turntables. I've always dreamed of doing that and finally it's going to be a reality for me. Now to get a bigger table for my set up lol

nm

Where is the video ?
NM
DJ GOODFOOT 6:40 AM - 6 October, 2014
I have the exact same setup. Rane 64, 4 technics 1200 MKII, using mostly video with Mix Emergency and SDJ 1.7.0.

There were some growing pains for sure, the bug which causes a sudden hit in audio then unusable latency was horrible but they seem to have found the culprit and are working towards a permanent fix. The temporary fix is to change your latency, apply, then change back. You lose audio for a half second but the latency issue goes away.

I also had a video file downloaded from a reputable pool which caused Serato DJ to crash every time I loaded it. I just deleted the file and everything has been good for the last month or so. I am very diligent about deleting and fixing corrupt files though so that helps. I don't use SSL anymore and will bring my 64 to venues because I love the functionality so much. Very happy with the mixer. (Less happy with Serato DJ just due to the fact that I don't have 100% confidence that it won't crash but the last few months have been problem free)

Here's a pic:
www.facebook.com

I use the extra decks (on the left) mostly for scratching samples and live acapellas and the main two for the bulk of my mixing. Huge learning curve going with 4 but adding them last year was like starting all over again in a good way and has helped me grow and get excited about playing again.
lvmez 5:10 PM - 6 October, 2014
I just purchased a Sixty-four as well. I thought I would never get rid of my 62 but the 64 is an awesome mixer.

On another, I had to switch to Serato DJ because of the 64. Do any of you guys have screen shots using mix emergency with sera to dj? There isn't enough real estate on serato dj for mix emergency to look good.
 6 10:12 PM - 6 October, 2014
I will post some screen shots. Also, some pics of my set up.

Video won't be coming until later this year unfortunately.

nm
 6 5:47 PM - 7 October, 2014
monchi 12:47 AM - 8 October, 2014
droooool !
 6 8:16 PM - 8 October, 2014
Just bought Flip and trying to figure it out
No idea what I will do with it yet but learning is always a process.

Watchvimeo.com

nm
Joee 8:25 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:

Watchvimeo.com

nm

actually very nice …..sounds good, don't get you're feeling hurt cause i gave you another compliment

& you did just mix on four decks at once right? but when i commented on you doing just that you got all mad told me

"I'm going to be posting a video later on so you can shut the fuck up.

And no, it won't be of 4 songs being mixed together. That would be idiotic."

SMH…...
 6 8:33 PM - 8 October, 2014
What I said was that mixing for songs is idiotic. As in mixing 4 songs together. Notice I'm doing 2 acapellas, an instrumental pattern with Flip and a loop with another instrumental but just using a portion of it where there is no actual drum beat.

All this without sync btw.

I believe is your turn to post something using 4 channels.

nm
Joee 9:18 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
What I said was that mixing for songs is idiotic. As in mixing 4 songs together. Notice I'm doing 2 acapellas, an instrumental pattern with Flip and a loop with another instrumental but just using a portion of it where there is no actual drum beat.

don't change it now…… i said mix on four decks now you're trying to be specific buy saying a meant play four sons come on son!

i meant play on all for decks which you did, so what did you have to go getting you're panties in a bunch is beyond me
 6 9:27 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

don't change it now…… i said mix on four decks now you're trying to be specific buy saying a meant play four sons come on son!

i meant play on all for decks which you did, so what did you have to go getting you're panties in a bunch is beyond me

You're trying to change what I said.

Either way. Shut up. Post a video.

nm
Joee 9:37 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
You're trying to change what I said.

Either way. Shut up. Post a video.

nm

what?

you did say this right?

"I'm going to be posting a video later on so you can shut the fuck up.

And no, it won't be of 4 songs being mixed together. That would be idiotic."

why you changing up now? i got you on the vid i mean be for real it's hard to play a instrumental with acappella than throw some horns and something else over it
 6 9:41 PM - 8 October, 2014
Yup. 4 songs vs 4 parts of a song is not the same thing.

Can you not see that?

And you call yourself a DJ

smh

mm
lvmez 9:44 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:

Watchvimeo.com

nm

Very nice video.
Joee 9:45 PM - 8 October, 2014
yea you still mad……damn i must have really hurt your feeling
 6 9:46 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:

Keep thinking that.

Post a video chump.

nm
 6 9:47 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Watchvimeo.com

nm

Very nice video.

Thanks. Wait until I actually post a routine. I think Flip is going to change what I was already working on. (Sigh) but, at least I'm excited to try something new. It honestly isn't what I expected or maybe I just need to read the damn instructions. lol

nm
Joee 9:51 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Keep thinking that.

Post a video chump.

nm

clearly theres hostility there

you mad?

as for a vid stop acting like you didn't see me tell you i wold post a vid tomorrow ,in the mean time have a beer or two relax bro
Joee 9:54 PM - 8 October, 2014
o and buy the way i won't be using serato flip like you just did, that makes thing to easy
 6 9:58 PM - 8 October, 2014
Blah blah blah

Video or shut the fuck up

nm
Joee 10:01 PM - 8 October, 2014
YO

ARE

MAD
monchi 11:20 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
Blah blah blah

nm

Ps PM me where I can get some M5gs ;)
 6 11:24 PM - 8 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Blah blah blah

nm

Ps PM me where I can get some M5gs ;)

hahaha. I wish I knew. I was lucky enough to get myself 4 before Panasonic announced the end of the Technics line. I got them at a great price too. :)

nm
 6 12:12 AM - 9 October, 2014
Here's another one. No Serato Flip.

Watchvimeo.com