Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Finetuning beatgrids in Serato DJ

Kian Graae Nielsen 9:39 AM - 18 April, 2014
Hey guys

I know there may be issues with making the beatgrids in Serato DJ, and I hope updates in the future will make the software better in this regard. But I have been trying to set the beatgrids my self, and it works to some point.

I have one a couple of problems that I would like to hear if anybody can give input to. When I set the beatgrids manually I sometimes end of with a bpm like 127,9 or 129,9. off course I would like the bpm to be 128 and 130 because at the end of the track the 0,1 bpm difference messes up my beatgrid for using some of the great features in Serato dj that depend on a perfect beatgrid. When I use the arrows in editing beatgrid it can not adjust the beatgrid with 0,1 bpm at a time. it makes jumps at 0,3 or 0,2 but not 0,1 bpm.

So my question is. Am I the only one who's having the problem and does anybody know how to solve this in the software?

Also it would be nice to be able see to see the changes you are making in the bpm 0,X settings while you are editing the beatgrid in your track. That way I don have to edit, save check new bpm, edit save check new bpm, before getting the right bpm.

Thank you.
marcA 12:29 PM - 18 April, 2014
iirc you can change the bpm by entering it's value in the bpm column
the grid should adapt accordingly...
(i should test this before writing but can't right now...)
Draven1327 2:17 PM - 18 April, 2014
sometime the song is 127.8 instead of 128 cant really help it. if you input the number into the column it will shift the grid wrong. but its worth a shot .

to fine adjust the beat grid move the markers closer to the end of the song. (farthest from the red marker. )

the best and most accurate way is to warp the tune in ableton or similar, then re-import the new track back into serato and the beatgrid will be perfect. time onsuming yes but if your ocd about the grids its the best way
marcA 2:25 PM - 18 April, 2014
although i do like the beatgrid as a visual aid i don't use sync except to see how it works...
i'm on the ns7II and right now the grids do not snap if the platter motors are on....(at least that is what i'm experiencing)
anyway you can adjust and slip the grid and i don't think that .1 diff makes a real difference?

btw, changing a grid on the NS7ii is real easy :)
Draven1327 2:30 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
although i do like the beatgrid as a visual aid i don't use sync except to see how it works...

same here but on the sx.

i use them for visual cue and effects so even if they are off by .5 bpm i can fix with platter, but i know some people really need them spot on for sync. i use the method above for all my older live recorded music.

i am however thinking of doing my whole library (god that will take months) or at least my most common songs, so i can use sync and use all 4 decks.
marcA 2:33 PM - 18 April, 2014
then make sure you put a lock on your beatgrid :)