Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

USB drop light constantly flashing orange and red

Richie sly 2:54 AM - 17 April, 2014
Hey Guys and Gals, a question for you all that has had me scratching my head.
I was using a 2009 MBP with 8GB RAM 750 GB internal HD with 400GB free and was using Serato DJ 1.5 with a Pioneer DDJ SX and was getting the issue where the usb drop out light flashed orange and red when i played out. All i had connected to the MBP was the DDJ SX, had wifi off and had all programs closed. I got rid of the 2009MBP and bought a 2013 MBP and have 12GB RAM, 1TB internal HD with 600GB free but i still lam getting the same issue with the usb drop light.

my library text is set half way
Display set to 30 screen updates per second
USB Buffer size(Latency) is set at 5ms

these are the same settings i have on the previous MBP
If i am home doing a CD i don't see the USB dropout light but when ever i go out to DJ at a gig i see it. Could this be something to do with the electricity at these places i play ??
Any help, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Draven1327 2:56 PM - 17 April, 2014
as far as understand it that light is link to performance as well as audio. basically its saying that the audio is in danger of clipping. im use to setting track volumes so that the PFL is just below yellow an then adjust the main volume for output, but i always got that light. but after researching a bit i fund out that light is multipurpose.

try this (it helped me):

-set your main volume (center of the sx) about 2-3 o'clock. (about 3/4 of full volume)
-then set you track volumes about 9'oclock ( about 1/4 of full volume)
-play a track and then adjust track volumes to adjust output volume.

i know it seems a bit backwards... but hey it worked lol maybe it has to do with the analyzing volume "bug" that some are complaining about
Richie sly 6:19 PM - 17 April, 2014
Sounds like a plan. Definitely thanks for the information on the dual use of the USB dropout light as I was not aware of this. I will try what you suggest when I get home and let you know the out come.
Richie sly 2:24 PM - 18 April, 2014
Hey Draven1327 I tried it and it sounded pretty good last night. I use 2 KRK Rokit5 monitors and a Behringer Xenyx802 mixer at home and got no distortion and the mic volume sounded how i know it should sound not over powering and distorted but nice and lively. The true test will be when i go to he club tonight. But thanks a lot for your advice it did make a difference.
As much as you know there is always more to learn.
Thanks again.
Draven1327 3:04 PM - 18 April, 2014
awesome im glad it works for others too. let me know how it goes tonight. im sure officials would like to know if it really is a fix

always learning always sharing :-D goodluck
Richie sly 7:48 PM - 20 April, 2014
Update so I did what you suggested and of course it worked like a gem. Did not get the USB dropout light come up at all all night. Only thing was my signal was abit low and I just had to raise the voiume on the main mixing board but thanks again for the help.
Draven1327 2:27 PM - 21 April, 2014
awesome !! that's good to hear. i dont understand why its like this but i didnt design it lol

your welcome