DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Connecting sub woofer to booth output?

africandrum 4:48 PM - 16 April, 2014
I'm putting together a small PA setup with a pair of 8" Behringer PA Spekers in addition to a sub. I would like to do is connect the pa speakers to the left and right TRS master outputs on the controller I plan to get. That controller also has an RCA booth output. Is there a way I can successfully connect the RCA booth out to the RCA input on my powered subwoofer? What kinds of intermediate connections, converters, etc would I need to connect this RCA speaker out to an RCA subwoofer in? I understand that subwoofers only use a mono signal. I'd be happy to clarify if the info I provided was unclear. Thanks.
africandrum 4:55 PM - 16 April, 2014
An Additional clarification: The input on the subwoofer is a "Line-Level input LFE Input". Would I just need a line level converter for my booth output? And are there "2-1" line level converters? Thanks again.
dj_soo 4:21 AM - 17 April, 2014
you can do it but I wouldnt recommend it. better off just running the master through the sub and then into the top.
africandrum 1:14 PM - 17 April, 2014
Yea I had to find a sub where that was a possibility, because using a standalone crossover would force me to get more speakers than I can afford now. So I got a KRK 10s which makes everything much simpler. Thanks.
dj_soo 3:29 AM - 18 April, 2014
oh, this is for a studio setup? You're fine then. Was thinking this was for PAs.
africandrum 7:46 AM - 18 April, 2014
well..... I'm hooking up PAs to the KRK. It would be for small house party events.
dj_soo 9:20 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
well..... I'm hooking up PAs to the KRK. It would be for small house party events.

great way to ruin your KRKs
africandrum 10:42 PM - 18 April, 2014
what if I keep it set to -3 db? they seem plenty loud for groups of 20-30 people. and they'll be going along with 200 watt PAs? It's not like I'm running the rokit 5s on full volume haha. idk it just needs to round out the sound, not put cracks in the foundation of the house.
mr187 9:22 PM - 29 April, 2014
I have done this before at a wedding used a y cable and ran signal to the sub and use the booth volume to control the amount of bass. worked out very well.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:55 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
I have done this before at a wedding used a y cable and ran signal to the sub and use the booth volume to control the amount of bass. worked out very well.

You should NEVER use a Y cable to mono a signal.
Chris Deluxe 11:15 PM - 29 April, 2014
And you should never use studio monitors as PA speakers. They're not built for that and break easily in such environment.
africandrum 1:16 AM - 30 April, 2014
I have full range Behringer PA speakers. I'm using this sub to round out the sound. There won't be any need to turn it up at all haha
africandrum 1:27 AM - 30 April, 2014
Oh and one further clarification: I've definitely decided not to use the booth output for anything. I'll just use a sub that has a crossover and L/R speaker outputs built in. Master --> sub --> PA Speakers. thanks everyone.
dj_soo 3:34 AM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
I have full range Behringer PA speakers. I'm using this sub to round out the sound. There won't be any need to turn it up at all haha

even worse - studio gear is not designed to keep up with pa gear (even pa speakers as cheap as behringer).

Rent a proper sub if you need one.