Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How Needle Dropping working on DVS?

discjockeyR 7:34 PM - 13 April, 2014
Hi,
I am trying to find how Needle Dropping is working properly but i did not find a way? Should it work correctrly with DVS system in Rel mode or is one more bug that is still not solved?
I have select drop to cue point and nothing happens, also drop to absolute again nothing happens. if someone manage to figure how this work please let me know.
Thanks in advance
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 11:21 PM - 13 April, 2014
Hi discjokeyR,

I have just tried both drop to absolute and drop to cue point features with no problems on my test setup. I see from your profile you are using an SL4, is this connected to turntables and a mixer? These features are for use with Vinyl and not CDJs, which were you using? We intend to add CDJ functionality for these features at some stage but do not have a timeline for it right now.

What happens when you lift and place the needle on the record with each of the settings enabled?

Drop to absolute should mean that while in REL mode a lift and drop of the needle will move the track to the absolute position of the vinyl, as it would if the track was pressed to the record.

Drop to Cue point works by letting a needle drop determine which cue point the playhead jumps to, the first five rings on the record are divided between the first five cue points and dropping into a ring should start at the cue point corresponding.

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Jason.
discjockeyR 4:43 AM - 14 April, 2014
Hi i am using cdj and i assume that this can also work for cdj
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:41 PM - 14 April, 2014
Hi again discjokeyR,

Currently the "drop to" features are not supported with CDJs unfortunately, this is something we hope to work on in future! If you strongly feel that this should be implemented please feel free to submit a feature request, our product team take user feedback seriously and even if nobody gets back to you in this area we are watching and listening to all feature requests, others that feel strongly about your suggestion can also +1 the idea and you can discuss how you would like it implemented.

If you have a moment to submit your ideas then go for it! You can find the feature request board here; serato.com

Thanks for getting in touch, hopefully this does not get in the way of enjoying your mixing!

Cheers,

Jason.
SiRocket 5:19 AM - 17 April, 2014
stickersync drop to cue SSL egg would be great while working on that ;)
DJ TeeOh 5:20 PM - 24 July, 2014
So does drop to cue points still exist in the Serato DJ software? I was looking at mine offline and didn't see the feature.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 10:55 PM - 24 July, 2014
Hey DJ TeeOh,

The drop to cue feature does exist in Serato DJ using control vinyl in REL mode, you will need to be online to see the feature however, it can be found under the CD/Vinyl section of the setup screen, enjoy!

Cheers,

J
SiRocket 4:37 AM - 25 July, 2014
teeOh. The needle drop to cue is still there, but isn't as accurate as SSL... some of us are waiting for that to be addressed as a few of the fine serato heads have mentioned that it's on the to do list. Along with Sticker Sync which keeps the needle drop to cue point on a physical sticker marker on the record each time you drop the needle.

Hopefully this feature isn't slept on and brushed away... same with getting the drop to cue timing right as it doesn't always register...

I'm a heavy user of both of these features for well over 4 years, some of the NZ heads got to witness my set at the Namm party this year and realize that i'm not just blowing hot air out there ;)

Anyways....

There is always hope :)
TGK 6:39 PM - 25 July, 2014
Can you guys try this and see , this happens to me few times now in Serato DJ 1.6.3.

When record track ends and it enters to INT mode , take the needle away from the record and click REL mode.
Then put the needle on the record, it moves to INT mode again.
once we click the REL mode start playing ,
when we do a needle drop again It moves to INT mode and play song very slowly.

My settings are
On song load : play from start and play from first CUE point
Needle Dropping (Relative mode) : Drop to CUE point
LAROSE ROYCE 3:20 AM - 23 September, 2016
I'm on Searto Dj and the needle drop in absolute mode feature is not working as well as Scratch Live. Is there any way to make it as tight as Scratch Live? Many times I want to start at the begin or bring the needle back to the beginning of the record. But I have to hold the needle off the record for about 2.5 seconds, which I think is too long, for it to drop into absolute mode. On Scratch Live no problems. Just on Serato DJ. Thanks -Larose Royce
DJ Quartz 3:26 AM - 23 September, 2016
You might need to adjust your sensitivity settings. What I found is if it's set too high in Serato DJ, the absolute position on needle drop option acts erratic.
LAROSE ROYCE 3:43 AM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
You might need to adjust your sensitivity settings. What I found is if it's set too high in Serato DJ, the absolute position on needle drop option acts erratic.

I'm gonna try it. I hate that it's not tight as Scratch Live. Also I was told from one of the developers that it was a problem but do not know when it will be updated.
LAROSE ROYCE 3:45 AM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm gonna try it. I hate that it's not tight as Scratch Live. Also I was told from one of the developers that it was a problem but do not know when it will be updated.

Thanks!
DJ Quartz 4:24 AM - 23 September, 2016
No problem, hopefully it helps.
Laz219 7:31 AM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:

I'll have to look into this too, I noticed SDJ was hesitant to jump back to the start of a track on the lead in. I had just assumed worn records.
LAROSE ROYCE 8:14 AM - 12 October, 2016
Quote:
No problem, hopefully it helps.

Yo... DJ Quartz... thanks a bunch! That helped out a bunch... Not 100% but much better!
DJ Quartz 5:01 PM - 12 October, 2016
Right on, good to know it helped.