Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Back to Back Dj sets, extremely cheesy

prandawg 4:57 PM - 10 April, 2014
Watchwww.youtube.com

Ok so if you are a dj and have spent some time on facebook i am pretty sure you have at some point seen this video of laidback luke, aoki, and van dorn all playing a back to back set and pretending to do some intense mixing.

What are you guy's opinions on back to back dj sets? personally i think they are extremely cheesy and are done mostly for promotional purposes.

I have never liked them. The worst is when you have these really intense ones with like 6 dj's. You dont need six dj's to make a freaking mix. Its retarded in my opinion.

One thing that would be cool is dj's swapping places on and off the decks taking turns mixing. that is always cool but when another dj comes up on stage as a "surprise" and pretends to mix when the artist is really only debuting one track and there is no actually mixing happening i feel it is a complete insult to real dj's who practice for hours trying to perfect mixing techniques to give their audiences a real experience.
Logisticalstyles 5:55 PM - 10 April, 2014
I totally agree. I saw that video this morning. I've personally never DJ'ed a party with more than 2 other DJs and even then we used the same decks.
prandawg 6:35 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
I totally agree. I saw that video this morning. I've personally never DJ'ed a party with more than 2 other DJs and even then we used the same decks.

didn't quite get what you said man. From what you said it sounded like y'all were doing the same thing as aoki and LBL.
Tommy Deem 7:12 PM - 10 April, 2014
its same priciple as making a band, one instrument is fine as it is but when 2 or 3 instruments plays in harmony, its more entertaining and sounds great. people who know, they know.
prandawg 7:39 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
its same priciple as making a band, one instrument is fine as it is but when 2 or 3 instruments plays in harmony, its more entertaining and sounds great. people who know, they know.

Yeah except this is not a band playing 2 or 3 instruments in harmony. This is a band all trying to play the same instrument at the same time. Its like if four people all tried to play the same guitar at the same time. Its a job normally done by one person split among 3 or 4.
Davideon 8:35 PM - 10 April, 2014
LOL. I saw that before. Dafuq the guy on the right is doing?
prandawg 9:09 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
LOL. I saw that before. Dafuq the guy on the right is doing?
He is frantically and intensely caressing the cdj to increase the playback quality.
Logisticalstyles 9:23 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

didn't quite get what you said man. From what you said it sounded like y'all were doing the same thing as aoki and LBL.

I mean me and other DJs swapping places on and off the decks taking turns mixing.
prandawg 10:25 PM - 10 April, 2014
I mean me and other DJs swapping places on and off the decks taking turns mixing.

you see, now that i can understand, because each dj gets to show his/her personal flavor and style of mixing.
But three people trying to do what one person normally does is just stupid. Now what would be cool is if you threw in some live instruments and some samplers and give them something to actually do together. But it was really just laidback luke doing the dj-ing.

Something that really pisses me off is Dj's pretending to do more than they actually are. People rag on dj's for never actually doing anything on stage and shit like this brings enormous amounts of disrespect to real dj's.
Tommy Deem 12:25 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah except this is not a band playing 2 or 3 instruments in harmony. This is a band all trying to play the same instrument at the same time. Its like if four people all tried to play the same guitar at the same time. Its a job normally done by one person split among 3 or 4.

This just means u havent done good back to back mixing or either ever saw one...
prandawg 2:50 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This just means u havent done good back to back mixing or either ever saw one...

i have seen good back to back dj-ing. but it is usually been when they take turns mixing. not when one person grabs a knob each. ROFL
akaTRAP 3:03 AM - 11 April, 2014
Now see, what you guys don't understand is Steve Aoki is clearly touching the left CDJ because he has to make sure the CD in it doesn't stop playing or else their pre-recorded mix will magically shut off, and they'll spend a good 5 minutes wondering what happened.

Now Laidback Luke is making sure the sick bass doesn't magically move the nob on the far right (that's probably controlling the output of a CDJ likely not even in use), making their pre-recorded mix sounding like rookies made it.

.............don't ask me what the hell Van Dorn is doing because he clearly forgot the Sync button is on the RIGHT side and not the left ;)
prandawg 12:32 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Now see, what you guys don't understand is Steve Aoki is clearly touching the left CDJ because he has to make sure the CD in it doesn't stop playing or else their pre-recorded mix will magically shut off, and they'll spend a good 5 minutes wondering what happened.

Now Laidback Luke is making sure the sick bass doesn't magically move the nob on the far right (that's probably controlling the output of a CDJ likely not even in use), making their pre-recorded mix sounding like rookies made it.

.............don't ask me what the hell Van Dorn is doing because he clearly forgot the Sync button is on the RIGHT side and not the left ;)

No your wrong, Sander Van Dorn forgot that they were using a pre-recorded mix.
Laidback look was loosening the mixer knobs so that the next dj who might actually need it can use it. Steve aoki was massaging the CDJ so that it doesn't stop playing the pre-recorded mix! DUUUUUUhhhh :D
akaTRAP 2:19 PM - 11 April, 2014
lulz

you know what this reminds me of? When DJ Jazzy Jeff exposed DVBBS for using a pre-recorded set and playing it off iTunes.
WildcardX 2:47 PM - 11 April, 2014
This is what this video reminds me off.

Watchwww.youtube.com
prandawg 2:51 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
lulz

you know what this reminds me of? When DJ Jazzy Jeff exposed DVBBS for using a pre-recorded set and playing it off iTunes.

WHAT!? :o are you for-real? link please

This is the type of shit that is proof of the EDM scene declining. The gimmicky dj acts. Its all just so fake. Whatever happened to the sincere love of music people used to have. The scary thing is that supposed underground acts like dvbbs
prandawg 2:52 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Haha you can always see that face of insecurity like "do you think they realize i am not doing shit?"

you can always see it behind those heart hands and fist pumps and thats what makes it so tacky.
akaTRAP 2:53 PM - 11 April, 2014
@ prandawg www.edmsauce.com

@ WildcardX ................you have got to be shitting me. All those idiots just sitting there and NO ONE realized it wasn't even plugged in.............
prandawg 3:11 PM - 11 April, 2014
The thing is, i always try to mmake sure that as a dj i am actually doing things, and giving an experience that is more than what people can have just playing music in their homes.
I even play edits, i do all that shit live.

I beatmatch acapellas live and mix them in. Then i create buildups from vocals. I use remix decks and one shots to create trippy effects. sometimes i like to through some drum loops on their. maybe use some grow samples to through in between my songs. Always trying to do cool stuff with effects even trying to create my own tricks that i can do live that will give me somewhat of a distinct style.

To every dj this shit is a slap in the face and a major gimmick. Don't try to pretend you are doing more than you actually are, actually do more shit.
akaTRAP 4:29 PM - 11 April, 2014
The problem is today it's so easy for anyone to grab equipment and pretend to be a DJ. Even someone like me who doesn't even own equipment (i created an account to read the feedback of SDJ & possible equipment I may buy) can download Virtual DJ Home Edition, play a song, hit Sync, play another, and think they're a DJ. There's even a website (can't remember the name of it) that has its own list of tracks to choose from, and you hit a big ass SYNC button that'll beatmatch them for you along with flashing "SONGS ARE IN SYNC" as you're doing it.

Honestly I don't think there's anything TOO wrong with letting the hardware/software doing some of the work (for example I will whenever I'm using a friend's MIDI to mash-up four songs at once) but when you get to the point where you're pretending to do something that other DJ's do by hand, we got a problem.
Mick Swell 4:34 PM - 11 April, 2014
HAHA that was a funny video. Damn, that was corny as hell. I am not surprised though.
prandawg 4:46 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
The problem is today it's so easy for anyone to grab equipment and pretend to be a DJ. Even someone like me who doesn't even own equipment (i created an account to read the feedback of SDJ & possible equipment I may buy) can download Virtual DJ Home Edition, play a song, hit Sync, play another, and think they're a DJ. There's even a website (can't remember the name of it) that has its own list of tracks to choose from, and you hit a big ass SYNC button that'll beatmatch them for you along with flashing "SONGS ARE IN SYNC" as you're doing it.

Honestly I don't think there's anything TOO wrong with letting the hardware/software doing some of the work (for example I will whenever I'm using a friend's MIDI to mash-up four songs at once) but when you get to the point where you're pretending to do something that other DJ's do by hand, we got a problem.

Agree'd hell go ahead and hit the sync button! its fine, enjoy but don't try to act like you are doing all this hardcore stuff.

Honestly even if you do press sync. Between interacting with the crowd, selecting songs and find places to blend them in, that is usually enough to keep a dj semi busy. But when you have 3 people doing an absoloutly ordinary set thats when you have to do more to look cool. If your going to have three people their at least do some cool shit that you actually need 3 people for.

also if you don't own any equipment you should buy something cheap. A controller is way better than a mouse and keyboard.
akaTRAP 5:00 PM - 11 April, 2014
I know a lot of DJ's hate the Sync function. Hell a friend of mine turns it off every time he brings his NS7II to the bar, but me personally I'd rather use it for mash-ups (vocals can be a pain in the ass to match up properly) and just do everything else by ear. It's not even that hard. The skill comes in your song choice and your mixing style.

A few friends have been telling me to buy cheap, even though they're running around with 2 Technics SL1200s and a Rane 62 mixer :P I'm stuck between something like that or the Numark N4 because I really want something with four decks for mash-ups, and four decks get expensive QUICK when you're buying the mixer & turntables/CDJs (I prefer CDJs honestly) all separate.
Davideon 5:14 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Words fail me.

On the original vid: I thought they were some 2 bit hippy no bodies. Now I find out who they are: shit depresses me
prandawg 10:05 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Words fail me.

On the original vid: I thought they were some 2 bit hippy no bodies. Now I find out who they are: shit depresses me

I know.... :( what is happening to this scene
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:51 AM - 13 April, 2014
Sometimes you need four DJs

youtu.be

at 1:06 and 1:16
akaTRAP 7:25 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:

youtu.be

That's the cheapest Pioneer equipment I have ever seen in my life. What were those? CDJ 300's and a DJM 300? Hell in that case he's not faking it, he's just making sure the knobs actually work lol. Of course one of the "DJ's" looked like their headphones weren't even plugged in.

btw is it just me or is that song pretty catchy?
prandawg 2:30 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:

youtu.be

Lmfao they were doing some intense scratching
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:30 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
btw is it just me or is that song pretty catchy?

Yeah its a catchy tune. South African house.
akaTRAP 4:16 PM - 18 April, 2014
I like it. Sounds more old school.....well, more like the older House compared to what's being played today.
prandawg 12:43 AM - 20 April, 2014
So apparently laidback luke has got some major skills?

www.edmtunes.com
DJ Quartz 1:42 AM - 20 April, 2014
I miss DMC team videos for this very reason. There is no faking that.
prandawg 2:29 PM - 20 April, 2014
Quote:
I miss DMC team videos for this very reason. There is no faking that.

one question though, i am very knew to this turntablism thing, a lot of times when i hear beat juggling it is often off beat. What exactly is the point of it. is it kind of a check out my madd ass skills thing or is it oriented to producing something cool

what i mean to say is, is it like a cool party trick? or can you actually make some cool sounds?
akaTRAP 4:54 PM - 20 April, 2014
Go on YouTube and search up DJ Jazzy Jeff's Peter Piper juggle 'n see for yourself.
DJ Quartz 7:28 PM - 20 April, 2014
There is a lot of good beat jugglers. It takes a lot of practice and skill to master it.
mr187 4:09 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Ok so if you are a dj and have spent some time on facebook i am pretty sure you have at some point seen this video of laidback luke, aoki, and van dorn all playing a back to back set and pretending to do some intense mixing.

What are you guy's opinions on back to back dj sets? personally i think they are extremely cheesy and are done mostly for promotional purposes.

I have never liked them. The worst is when you have these really intense ones with like 6 dj's. You dont need six dj's to make a freaking mix. Its retarded in my opinion.

One thing that would be cool is dj's swapping places on and off the decks taking turns mixing. that is always cool but when another dj comes up on stage as a "surprise" and pretends to mix when the artist is really only debuting one track and there is no actually mixing happening i feel it is a complete insult to real dj's who practice for hours trying to perfect mixing techniques to give their audiences a real experience.

the milli vanilli of djing.
mr187 4:16 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

i'd love the new wireless mixer where are the sold and who makes then.
Mr. Goodkat 2:35 AM - 22 December, 2014
best of 2014