Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Can I use use external hd for my videos and internal for my Music

djkryptonite1 1:04 AM - 8 April, 2014
Can I use use external hd for my videos and internal for my Music. I want to save space on my 1tb internal mac hard drive and load my videos from an external hd to Serato. Is this possible and still have all my crates intact with no issues. I'm sure this has been posted I looked through a good of pages but couldn't find a clear answer. And help would be appreciated guys. Thanks!!!
lvmez 1:43 AM - 8 April, 2014
Yes, no issues. If you can, use thunderbolt or USB 3.0 hard drives.
djkryptonite1 1:56 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:

Thanks and speaking of which these new macs only have 2 3.0 ports are those powered bus extenders good with the speed of playing the video files bc i'd lose my midi controller or would have to get another mixer again :-\
Code:E 2:10 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:

+1 I have my music and my video on 2 different hard drives. its not ideal (mainly because of organizational issues) but its fine todo.
Code:E 2:12 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
Thanks and speaking of which these new macs only have 2 3.0 ports are those powered bus extenders good with the speed of playing the video files bc i'd lose my midi controller or would have to get another mixer again :-\

You should buy a thunderbolt drive. You dont want your music Hard drive (or video hard drive) plugged into a hub thats also doing MIDI information. You always need one port for Serato Box or mixer, and if you use MIDI controllers the other should be used for that. If youi dont have Firewire get a thunderbolt hard drive.
djkryptonite1 4:08 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You should buy a thunderbolt drive. You dont want your music Hard drive (or video hard drive) plugged into a hub thats also doing MIDI information. You always need one port for Serato Box or mixer, and if you use MIDI controllers the other should be used for that. If youi dont have Firewire get a thunderbolt hard drive.

Would you suggest I get a HD with firewire for my videos or just stay with the USB 3.0?
Code:E 5:04 PM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would you suggest I get a HD with firewire for my videos or just stay with the USB 3.0?

Firewire for sure if you have a firewire port. If you're running a retina then you wont have one. Then in that case go thunderbolt.
Taipanic 5:41 PM - 8 April, 2014
USB2 < Firewire400 < Firewire800 < USB3 < Thunderbolt

USB3 & Thunderbolt are pretty close speed wise when using traditional hard drives.
Using an external SSD drive only offers big gains with USB3 or Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt will be somewhat faster than USB 3 using external SSD drives.
Speed tests, if your interested:
www.macworld.com
Taipanic 5:44 PM - 8 April, 2014
If you have USB3 and Thunderbolt Port, I would recommend going with the Thunderbolt to free up the USB for MIDI controllers and Serato box. If you have USB2 and Firewire, definitely go with the FW 800 drive.
DJ Tecniq 8:59 AM - 9 April, 2014
Interesting I have my videos on an external and audio on my internal. A belkin 4 port usb with Dicers, midi/usb cable for video mixing, and ext drive with no issues. The laptops USB port is always for the serato box.
Code:E 5:33 PM - 9 April, 2014
^^^^ You live dangerously and I would never suggest anyone do what you are doing.

Also you're not running nearly as many MIDI devices as one person could without being silly.
My big rig (which I have not run in a while) consist of 3xCDJ in HID, APC40, MPD32, and DJM2000. Also I'm using wifi (which is also internally hubbed of the USB port, to get touchOSC data. thats 7 MIDI devices in total. and they use a TON of USB bandwidth.
DJMark 11:05 PM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
A belkin 4 port usb with Dicers, midi/usb cable for video mixing, and ext drive with no issues.

Does that Belkin USB hub have its own power supply, and does it support USB 3.0?
DJ Tecniq 9:14 AM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
A belkin 4 port usb with Dicers, midi/usb cable for video mixing, and ext drive with no issues.

Does that Belkin USB hub have its own power supply, and does it support USB 3.0?
no power supply believe it can support usb 3.0. I've been using it for months now with no issue playing videos/audio. But I also have a clean install of mavericks so not much is on the laptop itself.
DJ Tecniq 9:16 AM - 10 April, 2014
I even record my video mixes using screenflow on the damn damn laptop and the same damn time w/o a glitch. But my mac is also a 2010 15" MacBook Pro with the best specs.
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:40 PM - 26 November, 2014
are there thunderbolt portable hds? size 2TB and above
DJ Baby Boy 5:06 PM - 26 November, 2014
There is Western Digital has a 4TB portable tb drive however it only has the single thunderbolt plug and can't be daisy chained for a display as well if you have a non retina MBP
Code:E 4:34 AM - 27 November, 2014
Quote:
are there thunderbolt portable hds? size 2TB and above

Yes. I have a 2TB Lacie Thunderbolt drive.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:11 PM - 27 November, 2014
Yeah. I saw that Lacie on Amazon and I might be coping one. Waiting on the new Mac in the mail.

I hate using externals but Apple has pushed me in that direction with their non user upgradable new MBP.
Code:E 6:33 PM - 27 November, 2014
Quote:
I hate using externals but Apple has pushed me in that direction with their non user upgradable new MBP.

Same boat as you. I hate externals also, but the lack of choice has pushed us all down that road.
djswaggap 4:38 AM - 9 August, 2017
Well I'm looking for some advise I have a Samsung 750 Evo ssd with a 2 tb hdd internally I have no issues as of now and I also have 16gb of ram . Is this the ideal set up for vidoe purposes ? I'm open to suggestion ps I feel like I get faster response time but not sure if it's not good for my MacBook Pro .
djswaggap 4:39 AM - 9 August, 2017
And my 2 tb has lo my videos and some audio files
DJ Tecniq 6:57 AM - 9 August, 2017
Quote:
And my 2 tb has lo my videos and some audio files
So you're not running an external just internal ssd?
djswaggap 4:03 PM - 9 August, 2017
All internal a 2 tb hdd 7200 rpm and for my drive the os is the 500 gb ssd . And the 2 tb has all my videos
DJ Tecniq 7:11 PM - 9 August, 2017
Quote:
All internal a 2 tb hdd 7200 rpm and for my drive the os is the 500 gb ssd . And the 2 tb has all my videos
Gotcha you should be fine then. I run my videos on a ext Samsung T3 ssd and my 512 gb ssd on Mac no issues.
djswaggap 10:57 PM - 16 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Gotcha you should be fine then. I run my videos on a ext Samsung T3 ssd and my 512 gb ssd on Mac no issues.

Nice Setup .ok thanks for the Feedback
DJ Tecniq 1:42 AM - 17 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Nice Setup .ok thanks for the Feedback
Only thing I would suggest is if your ext ssd has thunderbolt connection then I would def use that as it's the most secure connection and faster. Mini USB is ok but reg USB can be real iffy cause the cables are so loose I don't understand why most ext drive company's don't just do away with reg USB connection cause the connection on the drives are so delicate.