Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can ANYONE run SDJ on 1 MS of Latency WITHOUT USB dropout light on??

DJ Big T Silva 2:05 AM - 6 April, 2014
1)
I want to know if there is ANYONE with a NEW MBP or even a powerful iMAC that can run SDJ 1.6.1 perfect without any USB drop outs, sound quality degradation, or red and yellow lights on?? If you think you can post your current setup......list everything from your computer to controller to SDJ settings.

2)
If you can do step one above perfectly, try it with PNT activated...... are you still able to run SDJ on 1 MS???

3)
EXTREMELY tight Software/Hardware is essential for scratch DJs.
DJ Big T Silva 2:16 AM - 6 April, 2014
I personally can run SDJ without any USB Drop outs or lights on 95% of the time at 1 MS with my current set up listed below...... but If I enable PNT the sound quality goes down overall and I must use 5 MS of latency.... PNT is trash if you scratch because it forces you to increase your buffer size and introduces too much Latency... I can Definately tell the difference between 1 MS and 5MS. Here is my setup:

COMPUTER:

2009 MBP 2.8Ghz, Core 2 Duo, upgraded 8 GB RAM, Upgraded SSD SanDisk Extreme 2 480 GB, 17" screen.

CONTROLLER:

Pioneer DDJ-SZ. Utility settings for midi send speed are set to 3 MS (lowest latency)
Dj_Grinda 6:09 AM - 6 April, 2014
I can use SDJ 1.6.1 and SDJ 1.6.3 without out any drop outs at 1 MS even with PNT and serato Video active with the following setups below.

COMPUTER:

2012 MBP 2.3 GHz Quad-core, 16GB RAM, 1TB samsung 840 EVO, 15"
2013 HP Pavilion17-e054ca, 2.6GHz 3rd generation Intel Core i5-3230M Processor, 16GB RAM, 1TB samsung 840 EVO, 17"
HARDWARE:

Pioneer DDJ-SX (lowest Latency)
Pioneer DDJ-SR
Pioneer DDJ-SB
Pioneer SP1
Pioneer DJM-900SRT, 2 Technics 1200s
Rane 61, 2 Technics 1200s
Rane 62, 2 Technics 1200s
Rane 64, 2 Technics 1200s
DJ Big T Silva 6:40 AM - 6 April, 2014
@DJ Grinda it's great to see that with a high powered MBP you can run SDJ 1.6.1 with 60 fps and 1 MS Latency with PNT! It was posted by some on others on the serato forum that I follow that "not even a NASA computer can run SDJ with pnt at 1 MS" without sound quality issues and USB dropouts. I knew this could not be true. I think the key is the SSD. I have a core 2 Duo and I can run SDJ 1.6.1 perfect at 1 MS without pnt because of the SSD. I don't think the others who claimed that it couldn't be done were using an SSD. I wanted to Know if I bought a brand new MBP fully spec'd with SSD that I could run Everything including PNT without any issues at 1 MS. The fact that you say you can is really encouraging.
djmacklong 12:21 AM - 7 April, 2014
I'm running a 15" MBP Retina, 2.7ghz i7 (3.6 turbo), 16gb ram, 512 SSD -- purchased in September. My buddy just bought the newest version of that three weeks ago. Both of us had been trying to use 1.6 up until about two weeks ago. I posted this in a different thread:

Quote:

A good friend of mine has a BRAND NEW MBP and CANNOT run it at 1ms. He gets USB buffer warnings and occasional sound artifacts.

Mine is only 6 1/2 months old and I CANNOT run it at 1ms either. I get the occasional USB buffer warning and the sound is TERRIBLE. I can run it at 2ms, but I still get the USB buffer warnings. I also had SDJ completely shut down on me at 1am a couple weeks ago.

Both of us were using it with turntables. We'll be sticking to SSL until SDJ 2.0 comes out at this point. SDJ 1.5 ran flawlessly at 1ms on my SX when I had it, and 1.6 beta ran flawlessly on my Rane 62/turntable setup at 1ms.

After updating to 1.61, I decided to give it a brief try last night just to see if there were any differences. It seemed to run flawlessly on 2ms, and on 1ms I had red/yellow briefly upon starting the program with record movement and it seemed to sound fine. I chose to use SSL because I know it's totally dependable and does exactly what I want it to every time, but 1.61 seemed to be running better.
DJ Big T Silva 12:47 AM - 7 April, 2014
Useful feedback thanks! What has everyone else's experience been with SDJ 1.6.1? Can you run it flawlessly at 1 MS? With pnt? How about scratching?
djmacklong 2:54 AM - 7 April, 2014
Scratching has been fine. I'm more curious about this though:

Quote:
I can use...SDJ 1.6.3

Is there a beta out or something?
Dj_Grinda 3:00 AM - 7 April, 2014
Yes there is a beta out right now for "Large Library" here check it out--->serato.com (There isn't any new features added to this beta)
deejdave 3:54 AM - 7 April, 2014
Quote:
@DJ Grinda it's great to see that with a high powered MBP you can run SDJ 1.6.1 with 60 fps and 1 MS Latency with PNT! It was posted by some on others on the serato forum that I follow that "not even a NASA computer can run SDJ with pnt at 1 MS" without sound quality issues and USB dropouts. I knew this could not be true. I think the key is the SSD. I have a core 2 Duo and I can run SDJ 1.6.1 perfect at 1 MS without pnt because of the SSD. I don't think the others who claimed that it couldn't be done were using an SSD. I wanted to Know if I bought a brand new MBP fully spec'd with SSD that I could run Everything including PNT without any issues at 1 MS. The fact that you say you can is really encouraging.

Yes the others were using SSD and they are also using a faster machine.

What you are neglecting to mention is that comment was directed specifically at djmacklong who was using a DDJ-SZ (DVS). No one using SDJ with DVS will be able to achieve 1ms without red light. Almost Anyone with a decent machine should be able to run SDJ at 1ms without any issues with a controller though.

Again I was simply restating what has been said by Serato & Rane themselves and that was at the time of 1.5 serato.com These are your manufacturer and software developers words............... not mine. I believe this pertains to all DVS devices as I have a higher spec'd laptop than Dj_Grinda (2013 Quad latest generation with 16GB RAM and SSD as well) but still get the red light while using anything but my DDJ-SX and I don't have anything lower than a DDJ-SX to test this theory out with but I bet it hols true. This is a known issue and supposedly it is being addressed by Serato. I have two 2012 MacBook Pro's and they both perform exactly the same in terms of this. One being SSD & the other being HDD so again loading wise yes helps but in terms of latency........ not really.

DDJ-SX - Obviously can run at 1 MS all day no issues (99.9% as still the red light HAS come on but VERY rarely)

DDJ-SZ - Red Light

DJM-900SRT - Red Light

Rane 64 - Red Light

SL4 - Red Light

As a side note when the red light does come on everything performs the same. No dropouts no latency etc. but the point is the red light does come on.

All of this pertains to my MacBooks that have 8 GB or RAM or higher and are all i7's dual core or higher. I have one MacBook Pro that is only 4 GB and let's just say performance wise it is lacking it every department LOL.

These are the original posts on this exact topic in which you will see this is just how it is for now.

serato.com

and

serato.com

This is all the references you need to be informed on this topic. As far as how true it is I can say I have tested with all of my gear and I have a LOT to test with from the fastest MBP available to an older 2007 MBP and a few in between. I don't have much info on PC as I don't use SDJ on my laptops that run Windows. I also don't have much info on the beginner controllers as I have no need for them. Hope this helps.
irieproductions 6:03 PM - 13 April, 2014
hi everyone just wanted to share my personal experience regarding this issue. I have a DDJ-SX running with a Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010 core i5 2.4ghz, 512GB SataIII solid state drive and after version 1.6.1 i cannot run Serato DJ at 1ms latency without getting any major drops, this is regardless of having Pitch N Time enabled or not.

I recently bought this week a brand new Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display with 512GB flash storage, 8gb ram, core i5 2.6ghz cpu to serve as my business computer and decided to throw in serato dj 1.6.1 and give it a try and to my surprise i have the exact same issues, i cannot run Serato DJ at 1ms latency without getting major crackling noise on the signal, as soon as i bump it to 2ms the dropouts and crackling noises stop. I tried disabling and enabling Pitch N Time and made no difference.

There's definitely something going on with the latest version of Serato DJ and no one from serato seems to acknowledge it.
thorissr 6:15 PM - 13 April, 2014
I agree there's definitely something not quite right with SDJ 1.6.1 on Macs running Mavericks. Hopefully they tighten things up in the next release.
deejdave 7:09 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:
hi everyone just wanted to share my personal experience regarding this issue. I have a DDJ-SX running with a Macbook Pro 15" mid 2010 core i5 2.4ghz, 512GB SataIII solid state drive and after version 1.6.1 i cannot run Serato DJ at 1ms latency without getting any major drops, this is regardless of having Pitch N Time enabled or not.

I recently bought this week a brand new Macbook Pro 13" Retina Display with 512GB flash storage, 8gb ram, core i5 2.6ghz cpu to serve as my business computer and decided to throw in serato dj 1.6.1 and give it a try and to my surprise i have the exact same issues, i cannot run Serato DJ at 1ms latency without getting major crackling noise on the signal, as soon as i bump it to 2ms the dropouts and crackling noises stop. I tried disabling and enabling Pitch N Time and made no difference.

There's definitely something going on with the latest version of Serato DJ and no one from serato seems to acknowledge it.

While yes there is an issue that is known it is not new. It has been running since a few versions now and Serato already Acknowledged it you would just have to search here on the forums to find out is all.

However I am not sure that even when it is running as intended you will have any luck with running at 1 ms with your laptop. While using an i7 MacBook (Quad core definately, dual core MAYBE) Pro this SHOULD be possible have heard some having such luck now (I am able to but it red lights every now & then). I have not heard of anyone running at 1ms while only using an i5 though which I also believe is only dual core. Using my 2012's which ARE i7's as well I have ONLY been able to use SDJ at 2ms the LOWEST. This is even with 16 GB RAM ans SSD to add.
Big Pops 10:03 PM - 13 April, 2014
This is a problem in SDJ I have noticed a few versions ago that there is constant spike and USB Drop outs and the red light does come on. To me it seems to be an issue with how SDJ handles Mavericks.
I own a 2010 MBP with 8GB RAM and I can't even get it to run at 2 MS.
And don't even talk about if you have Serato Video plug in engaged, that even makes it worst.
Serato needs to fix this on going issue.
DJ Big T Silva 4:26 AM - 14 April, 2014
@ Deejay Dave.....
Quote:
I personally can run SDJ without any USB Drop outs or lights on 95% of the time at 1 MS with my current set up listed below...... but If I enable PNT the sound quality goes down overall and I must use 5 MS of latency.... PNT is trash if you scratch because it forces you to increase your buffer size and introduces too much Latency... I can Definately tell the difference between 1 MS and 5MS. Here is my setup:

COMPUTER:

2009 MBP 2.8Ghz, Core 2 Duo, upgraded 8 GB RAM, Upgraded SSD SanDisk Extreme 2 480 GB, 17" screen.

CONTROLLER:

Pioneer DDJ-SZ. Utility settings for midi send speed are set to 3 MS (lowest latency)

I have pretty much NO issues with red lights on, or sounds quality issues while on 1.6.1 with my setup above as long as PNT is not on. Then I have to use 5ms. You do not need an i7 processor to run SDJ on 1 MS. But and SSD, at least 8GB of ram do help. I should also note that I only use my MBP for DJing and I run MAC OS 10.9
DJ Big T Silva 4:33 AM - 14 April, 2014
As far as running SDJ on 1 MS of latency with DVS, I cannot say because I have never DJ'D with DVS I use Controllers.
deejdave 8:23 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
@ Deejay Dave.....
Quote:

COMPUTER:

CONTROLLER:

I have pretty much NO issues with red lights on, or sounds quality issues while on 1.6.1 with my setup above as long as PNT is not on. Then I have to use 5ms. You do not need an i7 processor to run SDJ on 1 MS. But and SSD, at least 8GB of ram do help. I should also note that I only use my MBP for DJing and I run MAC OS 10.9

I am curious as to why you would have to go to 5 ms with Pitch N Time when I can run it at 2 ms with no issues with my i7 dual cores yet you say you can run at 1 ms without and mine can't? This makes no sense. With Pitch N Time my old laptops run better than yours but without Pitch N Time yours runs better than my old laptops? Seems a little strange. As far as running at 1ms with an i5 & DVS this would be the first instance I have heard of.

Nevermind yeah as I have said this whole concept of Serato & Rane saying it was impossible (at the time at least) was specifically aimed at DVS systems. The DVS for som reason or another seems to put a little more strain on everything.

Just to clarify you are saying you CAN run at 1ms without the CPU light coming on ever as long as you are not using Pitch N Time but if you do use it you have to go right past 2 ms straight to 5 ms? This is by far the most I have heard Pitch N Time affecting anyone.
DJ Big T Silva 1:55 AM - 15 April, 2014
@ Deejaydave

Yes that's correct. Keep in mind I DON'T use DVS and none of my tests were using DVS only the setup I specified above (DDJ-SZ and NS7 2 controllers). Yeah, PNT is a beast on CPU and makes me literally Change from 1 MS, to then 5 MS with PNT applied. At 2 MS I still get the light occasionally with mixing and definately with scratching.
raequan 1:12 AM - 19 April, 2014
just tried 1ms today with my SZ and recording video..... no lags no nothing....did video effects... and audio effects....

i dont have PNT.

2011 late i7 mbp os 10.8.5 6gb ram firewire external 7200 rpm.....
deejdave 7:02 PM - 19 April, 2014
Yeah this should work fine. Throw in Pitch N Time along with DVS and things get s little bit heavier.
nlited 2:24 AM - 15 February, 2015
Hi all! I was going to start the same topic but suddenly found this one)
I've got exactly the same problem - running SDJ 1.7.3 with 1ms latency leads to some clicks and audio glitches. I've tested it on macbook air 2012 and 2 macbook pros including the latest mbp 13' retina 2014 in DVS mode with turntables and SL-4 and in controller mode with Vestax VCI-300 mk2. The result was always the same and in both modes I had to switch to 2ms latency to make the sound become clean. BTW all three macbooks are running OS X Yosemite with the latest updates. I'm not using PNT, and there are several not heavy tasks running in the background. Also wi-fi and bt are off and the os x preferences are optimized for using with SDJ according to the official Serato instructions. Anyway 2ms latency is good enough for scratching, but still I can't understand what's the problem.
938MyDJ 5:54 AM - 15 February, 2015
Yes! Even with PnT enabled!

Macbook Pro 15 Late 2011...
16 GB RAM
OSX 10.9.5

SZ
SX2
900SRT
Rane 61

But when I mix with music videos I leave it to 5ms to be on the safeside.
AMO (Sonicbreaks UK) 10:53 AM - 15 February, 2015
I am curious as to why you are all chasing the Holy Grail of 1ms?
I have been a Turntablist for over 20 years and I have no issues using 2ms and even 5ms.
I use DVS and also a VCI380.
deejdave 7:23 PM - 16 February, 2015
2ms is nice but even not being a scratcher I notice the difference with 5ms. Imo unusable at 10ms.
DJ Big T Silva 1:08 AM - 1 March, 2015
Agreed. I use 2 MS with PNT. I can scratch with that, without getting USB dropout light on although when I really scratch seriously, I can run now SDJ at 1 MS with my brand new MBP fully spec'd (late 2014 latest MBP all upgrades). Although in SDJ 7.4 beta and final release the quality of PNT sound while scratching will be improved. I can't scratch at 1 MS with PNT on. No matter what computer you are running I would like to hear from someone who can do this without USB dropout light on.