Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

SERATO VIDEO with APPLE TV!!

Ankeet 8:29 AM - 1 April, 2014
I just made a small discovery which makes any cables with serato video history. I am using Apple tv to display my videos as now you can create two displays ... one for apple tv and one (your laptop) another. Now i can set the projector anywhere in the hall and not worry about the length of the cable!! and theres hardly any lag and works like a charm!!
VJ Justin Allen 12:54 PM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
...and theres hardly any lag and works like a charm!!

Not sure how both of these can be true. The latency is too big for me to deal with.
dj jamalot 2:01 PM - 1 April, 2014
well it is april 1st...
Ankeet 2:34 PM - 1 April, 2014
no this is no joke.. over the weekend i did a set and was just messing around at the sound check and it worked... so then decided to just use that setup .. try it out for your self ..
Code:E 8:37 PM - 1 April, 2014
Quote:
no this is no joke.. over the weekend i did a set and was just messing around at the sound check and it worked... so then decided to just use that setup .. try it out for your self ..

did you have your own router. How far did you have to se the delay compensations? and pics or it didnt happen.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:11 PM - 12 April, 2014
So I went and picked up an Apple TV unit from Best Buy last night.

Anyways it does work but it's pretty crappy in my opinion. I'm using a 2011 MBP maxed out and my fps drop down into the teens using SDJ/SV. Haven't tried ME yet. Video just looked jerky and I was not impressed at all.

On another I tried VDJ and video was much much smoother but then again the 2 programs handle video in different ways.

Over all I wouldn't use it even in a pinch.......
Code:E 6:31 PM - 12 April, 2014
did you connect to the apple TV over wireless or wired?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:21 PM - 12 April, 2014
Wireless
the SOUNDINSURGENT 9:23 PM - 12 April, 2014
Ok well I just made myself a 12 Ethernet cable and plugged one end into Apple TV and the other end into my Mac and it's night and day.

Now this is just running in offline mode but it says my fps are back up into the 45/50 range whereas wireless it dropped into the teens.

Videos aren't jerky and playback is smooth now.

Now my next question is, how long of an Ethernet cable can be used??
Code:E 6:23 AM - 13 April, 2014
1000 feet
Blackie Lox 10:31 AM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
Ok well I just made myself a 12 Ethernet cable and plugged one end into Apple TV and the other end into my Mac and it's night and day.

Now this is just running in offline mode but it says my fps are back up into the 45/50 range whereas wireless it dropped into the teens.

Videos aren't jerky and playback is smooth now.

Now my next question is, how long of an Ethernet cable can be used??

That's interesting to hear. What resolution was your Apple TV running at?

If this can work well at 720p (with delay compensation of course) then it would solve my problem of having only 1 thunderbolt port on my Mac and I can pick up a Blackmagic intensity card to use for external video input, while outputting HDMI via Apple TV.

This creates the potential for two VJs to mix video simultaneously and/or multiple HD camera feeds. Obviously if your Mac has 2 thunderbolt ports this is already possible, but in my case (Late 2011 MacBook Pro 15") I have to use my single thunderbolt port for my secondary display.
Blackie Lox 12:02 PM - 14 April, 2014
So I just tried this on my Apple TV 3 over ethernet and I must say it really does work like a charm. There's no "noticeable" lag, I didn't even have to adjust delay compensation at all. My laptop was connected via WiFi and the ATV3 was connected via ethernet, so length of ethernet cable shouldn't be an issue as long as you have a good wireless router.

Respect Ankeet, this was a good find for real!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:39 PM - 14 April, 2014
Yup I'm in the same boat as you but like you said this frees up our Thunderbolt port which is great!!
Code:E 6:18 PM - 14 April, 2014
I'm going to try this ASAP!
VJ Justin Allen 2:06 AM - 15 April, 2014
Some people claim to have success with streaming to multiple Apple TV's at once. Pretty sure this will not work with Serato Video...but hey, it's out there to play with.

discussions.apple.com
Blackie Lox 2:38 AM - 15 April, 2014
I wonder how much better it would work if the next generation of Apple TV is fitted with Gigabit Ethernet.
Code:E 3:22 AM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
I wonder how much better it would work if the next generation of Apple TV is fitted with Gigabit Ethernet.

I to am very excited!

WWDC is coming in june. It sucks I just had to buy a new MBP-R but I'm hoping they don't update those. but a new air retina is coming for sure, and updated iPads with fingerprint scanners.
xshanesworldx 2:16 PM - 10 June, 2015
So what is the best way to broadcast to 4 tvs? Will a 1x4 amplified hdmi splitter work from the thunderbolt port?
I do have to Apple TV units.
Please tell me the best and easiest way to do this.
Thank you much
Code:E 9:41 PM - 10 June, 2015
Quote:
Will a 1x4 amplified hdmi splitter work from the thunderbolt port?

Yes
Quote:
Please tell me the best and easiest way to do this.

The HDMI splitter is the easyest way todo it. Unless you are an advanced user stay away from techy options that use wireless. Hardware and Wires are the amature`s best friends
xshanesworldx 12:29 PM - 11 June, 2015
I first thank you for your reply.
I've been told this wouldn't work with a distance over 25 for though. Is that true? If so, is a agile modulators the next best & easiest way?
Again, thank you.
DJMark 11:44 PM - 11 June, 2015
Quote:
I first thank you for your reply.
I've been told this wouldn't work with a distance over 25 for though. Is that true? If so, is a agile modulators the next best & easiest way?
Again, thank you.

For long distances, look up baluns.