DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneeer DJM-900SRT OR Pioneer DJM-900 NEXUS

Geo500 10:43 PM - 30 March, 2014
Just wanted to know which one would be better, I like both mixers especially the SRT version with the Blue LED's instead of the original with amber LED's, I like Serato software but never tried Traktor before. ill be using one of these mixers for Ableton Live 9 instead. Just wanted to know which one is worth buying and why.

Thanks,
Giorgios
dj_soo 7:50 AM - 31 March, 2014
SRT is apparently compatible with Traktor too so I would go that route.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 PM - 1 April, 2014
srt, exactly the same, except better faders and soundcard compatible with SDJ and Traktor Pro. it is NOT compatible with traktor scratch and using timecode cds or vinyl. but im sure there is a hack for traktor.
ItsThaMessenger 10:05 PM - 1 April, 2014
so if i really don't want to hack, which one of these mixers is really better? are there any real differences or just a price tag and software compatibility?? i like both softwares, but would it just be better to get the nexus with a sl4 or the srt with an audio 10 card?
Mr. Goodkat 12:26 AM - 2 April, 2014
srt, exactly the same, except better faders and soundcard compatible with SDJ and Traktor Pro. it is NOT compatible with traktor scratch and using timecode cds or vinyl.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:02 AM - 3 April, 2014
SRT has 4 phono inputs. Nexus only has two
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:04 AM - 3 April, 2014
blackavenger 7:21 PM - 3 April, 2014
If money is no object, I would buy a 900nxs, and graft an SL4 to it. That way you can have Traktor Scratch, ScratchLIVE, and SeratoDJ. If I had the loot, this is exactly what I would do.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 7:24 PM - 3 April, 2014
thats gotta be around 3k right?
blackavenger 7:29 PM - 3 April, 2014
I would imagine so.
blackavenger 7:31 PM - 3 April, 2014
Still, for a promoter, this has got to be about the best mixer you could get. Satisfies just about everyone's preferences.
blackavenger 7:33 PM - 3 April, 2014
LOL, throw in an Innofader Pro in the crossfader slot, and (4) Mini-Innofaders in the lines, and it would truly kick ass! Obviously, at a helluva' premium though.
Geo500 5:14 PM - 10 April, 2014
Ok so i want to use the Pioneer DJM -900SRT for Ableton Live 9 to DJ with... it says that its midi-map to the DJ Feature but does not show in the Hardware... does this mean I cannot midi-map the Pioneer SRT Mixer to Ableton Live 9?

Hardware Features
Built-in Serato soundcard for Plug-and-Play control with Serato DJ
Six studio-quality Sound Color FX
Channel-assignable BEAT FX with X-PAD and TWIN LFO for ultimate control
PRO DJ LINK functionality
High performance channel faders for enhanced durability and operability
Multiple inputs with effortless switching and management
Channel Fader Start

Serato DJ Features
New FX, powered by iZotope.
FX Expansion Packs that can be purchased/activated in app
Single and Multi FX modes
Sync
Slip Mode
Recording
MIDI Mapping
SP-6 with simple and advanced modes
Up to 8 cue points
Activate or jump to 8 of your saved loop slots
Auto loops and loop rolls
Mic/Aux support
4 Performance view modes
Autoplay
Beatgrid detection and Beatgrid editor
Serato Remote compatibility
Serato Video compatibility
Whitelabel.net track support
Mr. Goodkat 7:32 PM - 10 April, 2014
you can midi map it just like the other pioneer mixers. not that much to map, but...
Geo500 10:34 PM - 10 April, 2014
tthanks bro
kingof9x 10:06 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
srt, exactly the same, except better faders and soundcard compatible with SDJ and Traktor Pro. it is NOT compatible with traktor scratch and using timecode cds or vinyl.

I don't quite get what you mean here. It seems like a contradiction when you say it's compatible with traktor pro but not compatible with traktor timecode. Can you clarify? I would like to be able to get a mixer that would allow the use of both serato and traktor DVS.

Thanks
Mr. Goodkat 11:36 PM - 22 April, 2014
there is traktor pro(no dvs) and traktor scratch(offers dvs, but you could play internally).

i dont know why it only works with traktor pro, someone else pointed it out, and it worked for me.

and yes, of course you and most people that buy the Nexus or the SRT would want to use the mixer for traktor and SDJ. but you cant. unless you can write code and figure it out on your own. someone may have a patch out there. thats a google search away.
kingof9x 2:37 AM - 23 April, 2014
thanks
dj_soo 3:45 AM - 23 April, 2014
apparently you can hack traktor pro to support DVS but I don't know how stable it is.

Traktor Scratch is like Serato - you must have a proprietary mixer or soundcard in order to unlock the DVS features. Traktor Pro is open though and you can map it to anything that does midi, but you don't get any timecode features.
djvtyme85 8:12 PM - 23 April, 2014
ideally just but a traktor sound card if you want dual functionality. its cheaper
blackavenger 8:17 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
ideally just but a traktor sound card if you want dual functionality. its cheaper

Personally, if you're going to go the outboard soundcard route, it would be better to buy a standard DJM-900 along with an SL3 or SL4, versus buying the SRT w' a Traktor A6 or A10.

By purchasing the Rane soundcard, you have the option to play ScratchLIVE or SeratoDJ, whereas if you buy the SRT, you are stuck w' SeratoDJ alone.
PATCH 10:21 PM - 20 September, 2014
I got Traktor Scratch Pro going on a DB4 without the Traktor box and it worked perfectly.
I've never had a 900Nexus to try though, but it works on DB4 so I guess it's possible.
blackavenger 3:38 PM - 21 September, 2014
Oh yeah, I've read about that hack. It's ridiculous how Native Instruments wouldn't give the DB4 Traktor Scratch Certification. Despite the amount of people begging for it.
gfella 6:28 PM - 21 September, 2014
Quote:
apparently you can hack traktor pro to support DVS but I don't know how stable it is.

Late response from my side but I have the Sixty Two 'hacked' into Traktor since a couple of months just for fun.
It is stable, no problems sofar.
Only downside is the Sixty Two does not auto bpm the effects anymore, you have to tap it every time.
Switching usb is not functioning offcourse.
Beatmarkers are not lit up on the mixer but do work when you press the first cue button.
Cue points are lit on the mixer.
Glass Dee Entertainment Atlanta DJ 1:45 PM - 7 November, 2015
I have a DJ and DJ rental company. However, I have the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus and the Serato Rane 68 Mixer. We know that both have 4 channels. My problem is most EDM people my get the 900 nexus with the CDJs 2000 Nexus. The hood brothers get the same thing but you know that the are running the Serato SL1 interface with the time Coded CDs. However, no one asked for the Serato Rane 68 mixer. Its been collecting dust for close to 2 years. I tried it out a couple of time but not for an event. Should I replace the Rane 68 with a SRT 900? Does the Pioneer DJM SRT 900 work without the Serato SL1 interface? Is the Rane Serato 68 Mixer a good mixer but people are afraid to use it? I need to know.
Will08272 3:27 PM - 7 November, 2015
Quote:
I have a DJ and DJ rental company. However, I have the Pioneer DJM 900 Nexus and the Serato Rane 68 Mixer. We know that both have 4 channels. My problem is most EDM people my get the 900 nexus with the CDJs 2000 Nexus. The hood brothers get the same thing but you know that the are running the Serato SL1 interface with the time Coded CDs. However, no one asked for the Serato Rane 68 mixer. Its been collecting dust for close to 2 years. I tried it out a couple of time but not for an event. Should I replace the Rane 68 with a SRT 900? Does the Pioneer DJM SRT 900 work without the Serato SL1 interface? Is the Rane Serato 68 Mixer a good mixer but people are afraid to use it? I need to know.

Well the 68 is still compatible with scratch live still and also SDJ, off that alone there is more value for potential renters. The SRT works has straight out the box with Serato DJ but not with scratch live and doesn't need the SL1. I know that the 68 wasn't a hit with everyone but it still offers ton of value, but if it isn't producing anything for you the SRT maybe a better bet but just make sure to make clear that it only works with Serato DJ.
PopRoXxX 5:11 PM - 7 November, 2015
But remember when researching your next purchase .......

Pioneer just announced that they're discontinuing the SRT
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:36 AM - 9 November, 2015
where was that announced?
PopRoXxX 4:51 AM - 9 November, 2015
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:44 AM - 9 November, 2015
thanks. New DJM has to be got to be dropping soon then
www.Sne.NYC 7:52 PM - 14 August, 2017
When using a DJM-900 NEXUS with Serato and DVS, does the feed from the laptop remain digital and does the master out remain digital (via S/PDIF)?