Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Audio hiccup for 1 or 2 seconds and then severe latency issue with Vinyl or CD

djfreefall 5:19 AM - 14 March, 2014
This problem has occurred to me 3 times now. On different hardware using serato Dj with (SL2,SL3, 900 SRT)
I am using a the new fully spec out macbook retina pro. All my music in on SSD HD no external devices plugged in besides the DDJ SP1.
I play for 2-3 hours and then all of a sudden serato dj program hiccups and audio becomes garbled for a second or two. The software recovers but when it does there is a 2 second delay on both left and right channels. This has happened using both vinyl and cdjs, and it has happened with pitch time activated and deactivated. (The first time it happened I deactivated pitch n time because I thought It was the culprit.) The only work around is restarting Serato Dj. Anyone else experiencing this??
JohnCaniford 6:37 AM - 14 March, 2014
YES!!!!! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Identical issue mince the retina, but all on SSD drive with a quad core i7.
smokeyjoe 8:06 PM - 14 March, 2014
serato.com

I had this problem too reported still no real answers
smokeyjoe 8:07 PM - 14 March, 2014
Even posted a clip of the sound as drops out
Jimi_Hoffa 6:13 PM - 17 March, 2014
I have the same problems as well with vinyl on the djm-900srt

Running on:
MBP
8 gb RAM
SSD HD
OS X 10.9
2.5 GHz i5
Beta 1:25 PM - 18 March, 2014
This has happened to me once a night of for the past two weekends. i started using 1.5.2 in the meantime. I also would get a crash like after 3 hours of dj-ing. I am on the Pioneer 900 SRT. I always have another computer ready to play a song while I do a reset of Computer/Serato DJ on an open channel on the mixer. This has only happened since using 1.6
Jimi_Hoffa 1:49 PM - 19 March, 2014
Has there been made a help thread about this?
DJ Amos Myth 6:34 PM - 19 March, 2014
yes sir: serato.com

Does anyone 'not' using Mavericks 10.9.2 or above experience this problem?
Jimi_Hoffa 7:02 PM - 19 March, 2014
Thanks! Let's hope this will get a fix very soon!
djSCOOPaLOOP 2:17 PM - 20 March, 2014
having same issue ... using vinyl and rane 68. retina 13", mavericks 10.9.2. latest SDJ build & firmware.
djSCOOPaLOOP 2:19 PM - 20 March, 2014
did you guys encounter this issue with the beta version? or previous firmware?
Jimi_Hoffa 2:20 PM - 20 March, 2014
No, this is the first time.
PopRoXxX 5:52 PM - 20 March, 2014
Hey Freefall: Go back to SSL when using DVS for now. I've been talking with Mods about this issue for almost a month now. The only fix for now is to use SSL 2.5 -OR- when the audio glitch happens (then the deck latency), you can move your audio buffer (either a notch, or move it - then move it back where you had it), click apply (audio stops for a millisecond) and you'll be back in business for 20-40 min before it happens again. It's a software issue, not hardware.

Personally I went back to SSL (haven't liked the way SDJ performs DVS at all yet anyway). There's no reason to keep resetting my audio buffer 2-3 times a gig ESPECIALLY at Universal where it's been happening the most! Smh

The thread I've been working the most with is here:
serato.com
DJ-LeeWilliams 5:29 PM - 24 April, 2014
This has happened to me several times with my SL2. rather embarrassing, then when you reset the buffer setting it drops out for a ms, so that's 2 glitches In a few minutes, then doing it several times per night...

I've downloaded the latest update, and still issues this is a MAJOR problem and like I said embarrassing...

Seems as if ill have to back to SSL for now. I've bought an SP1 too so it's not going to be used until this is fixed. Sucks.
Joe Fresh 8:12 PM - 9 June, 2014
This happened again to me twice yesterday.

I was using a Rane Sixty-Two with Serato DJ 1.6.3.

MacBook Pro, i7 2.6GHz, 16GB DDR3 RAM, SSD and HDD drives (music on the HDD).

The first time it happened was when a friend plugged his laptop into the second USB on the Sixty-Two. He immediately had high latency (0.5-1 seconds), while my laptop had no issue. Then later in the day (just my laptop connected), there was an audible glitch in playback, and the latency occurred on my machine. I'd forgotten about the buffer size workaround, so I "echo looped" on the mixer, unplugged from the laptop and plugged back in, and it worked fine for the rest of the gig.

The last time this happened to me, it was while I was engaging the effects on the Sixty-Two. This time, however, it just happened for no apparent reason, so it will be difficult for me to reproduce the problem.

Has there been any progress on solving this issue?
Shan-One 3:07 AM - 10 June, 2014
Ok I reported this a when I first used 1.6.2 and it happened with my SL3 using CDJ2000s with Time code on USB. Then it happened with my Sixty Two with vinyl.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina 15" and a Thunderbolt external and Dicers. OS/X Mavericks

Here is the link to my original discussion: serato.com

One of the Serato techs said it should have been fixed for 1.6.3 but apparently that's not the case.

Sticking with ScratchLive until this is resolved.
Joe Fresh 7:41 PM - 11 June, 2014
Yeah it's definitely not resolved in 1.6.3, so I hope we hear from Serato soon about this, because this is a huge problem.
dj_stylus 3:54 PM - 17 June, 2014
I have the same exact problem, usually this only happens once a night (some nights not at all). It happened to me on Saturday at a wedding RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FATHER-DAUGHTER DANCE!

I'll try the buffer workaround in the meantime, but hopefully we'll get a fix soon!
djfreefall 10:51 PM - 30 June, 2014
I am still having this issue.
PopRoXxX 4:36 PM - 1 July, 2014
Quote:
I am still having this issue.

Yes. Happened to me twice last week on vinyl and the SRT at Universal Freefall. Smh
DJ Amos Myth 5:05 PM - 5 July, 2014
happened to me last night after 20 min...posting my log in the help thread. Is anyone having the problem on an OS other than Mavericks?
Shan-One 3:38 PM - 6 July, 2014
Is everyone on this thread using Mavericks? Also, has anyone had the issue with 10.9.4?
Dj Owe 8:11 PM - 8 July, 2014
Hey guys when this glitch happens simply shift the latency slider in the settings off what it is on then back to what it was on eg

Settings are set to 2nd
Slide to 5 ms then slide back to 2M and press apply.

It will glitch for a second but latency will go back to normal.

I'm not sure why this happens but I get it on 2 out of 6 gigs a week I spin.
DJ Amos Myth 11:58 PM - 9 July, 2014
Thanks Dj Owe,

If you would, please join us in the help section and upload some logs.

serato.com
djfreefall 4:18 PM - 16 July, 2014
Still happening. Now it's on my SZ. Even after purchasing the Dj Techtools high quality USB cables it's still an issue.
PopRoXxX 6:35 PM - 18 July, 2014
Yeah. It's not a cable issue. It's a software issue
thorissr 2:05 AM - 28 July, 2014
Just wanted to chime in and say that it's happening and has happened to me on 2 of my sets....Rane SL2/TT's and DDJ-SZ/TT's via DVS. If I disable the TT/Vinyl plugin in the setup menu and use the SZ without my TTs, I don't experience this issue.

Thanks
djfreefall 10:52 PM - 28 July, 2014
Quote:
Just wanted to chime in and say that it's happening and has happened to me on 2 of my sets....Rane SL2/TT's and DDJ-SZ/TT's via DVS. If I disable the TT/Vinyl plugin in the setup menu and use the SZ without my TTs, I don't experience this issue.

Thanks

Ill try it tonight. Thanks for the heads up!
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:59 AM - 30 July, 2014
Hey guys,

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem - we are taking it very seriously and investigating it as much as possible.

This is a particularly useful piece of information:

Quote:

Thanks for raising it thorissr.

Quote:
Does anyone 'not' using Mavericks 10.9.2 or above experience this problem?

I am also really keen to know the answer to this question. Does any experience this issue on 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8?
djfreefall 7:40 AM - 30 July, 2014
I am beta testing 10.10 OS X and I had it happen last night. Aside from that it was smooth sailing. I double checked and I already had the TT/ Vinyl plug in and PnT plug in disabled. Thanks for the heads up Martin, Im sure you guys will have a fix coming soon.
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:44 AM - 31 July, 2014
So you were using a DDJ-SZ, but you definitely had both the DVS Expansion Pack and Pitch 'n Time DJ Expansion Packs disabled and you still had the issue?
djfreefall 4:46 PM - 3 August, 2014
Quote:
So you were using a DDJ-SZ, but you definitely had both the DVS Expansion Pack and Pitch 'n Time DJ Expansion Packs disabled and you still had the issue?

Yes sir. It happens with all my sound cards SL2, SL3, and SZ. I have tried plugging in the SL2,SL3 boxes with an external power supply to see if it may alleviate the issue. The last thing I did was replace the USB cables, still the same hiccup at least once a night or twice a night.
spofftastic 11:22 PM - 3 August, 2014
Happened to me too last night - there is another thread on this discussion. Look like the only safe way around is to use SSL 2.5. In 7 years of SSL never had this problem. Is SSL with a Rane 61 working for any of you?
DJ Amos Myth 7:10 PM - 4 August, 2014
I've been having good results (so far) by resetting the buffer slider during sound check before every gig.
Joe Fresh 7:11 PM - 4 August, 2014
Public beta for 1.7 is now available.
I'll be using it for future testing for this bug.
spofftastic 7:13 PM - 4 August, 2014
Thanks for the tips - I'll try the slider first, then to 1.7 beta if necessary.
DJ Lil Vito 9:55 PM - 4 August, 2014
Happens to me too. Giant pain in the ass.
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:25 AM - 5 August, 2014
Hey all,

In attempt to resolve this issue we have added some extra logging data to Serato DJ in the public beta available here: serato.com

If you are having this issue, please help us by trying to reproduce the issue with the beta build - grabbing the appropriate log file from within your _Serato_ folder > Logs, then create a report in the beta area and upload the log file.

This is going to help us so much in trying to track down the cause of this issue!

Dj Owe 5:08 AM - 12 August, 2014
Hi Martin
For me this problem happens randomly and I am Un able to replicate it willingly.
If it does happen and my SDJ does not crash how can I share the information with yall?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:03 AM - 13 August, 2014
Hey Dj Owe,

I understand its not easy to reproduce. In the new beta I have linked to we added some extra logging we think might help us track down the issue. This logging happens in the background all the time when you run Serato DJ.

So you can just continue to play with Serato DJ as normal and then when you encounter this issue during a session, after you finish DJing, you can retrieve the log file and upload it to us. I recommend creating a report in the beta area.

This particular issue is not about crashing, so should not involve a crash report, although that is a separate issue which is just as important for us to investigate!

The log file will be helpful for us at this point in our on going investigation.

Cheers bro :)
djfreefall 6:34 PM - 13 August, 2014
Hey Martin, just a heads up. Last night I used the new 1.7 beta build along with with Yosemite DP5 and it was the first time I have used serato DJ and played 5 hours with out a single audio hiccup. I even tried running numerous background apps to try to get a hiccup and it played flawlessly on my SZ. I will be using it the next few days and will keep you updated.
PopRoXxX 9:19 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
Hey Martin, just a heads up. Last night I used the new 1.7 beta build along with with Yosemite DP5 and it was the first time I have used serato DJ and played 5 hours with out a single audio hiccup. I even tried running numerous background apps to try to get a hiccup and it played flawlessly on my SZ. I will be using it the next few days and will keep you updated.

^^^ This good to hear!! Especially with both new OS and new SDJ versions together.

Martin, is Serato testing 1.7 with the soon to be dropped Yosemite OS for mac?
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:17 AM - 14 August, 2014
Thanks for the update freefall.

We have some machines on Yosemite, but we aren't officially testing/supporting it yet and we don't plan to for 1.7.0.
PopRoXxX 6:23 PM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for the update freefall.

We have some machines on Yosemite, but we aren't officially testing/supporting it yet and we don't plan to for 1.7.0.

Damn. Cause it's coming out around the same time you're dropping SDJ 1.7 or at least the same month. Might be something to reconsider maybe? .....

(you know a lot of jocks will be jumping on it)
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:35 AM - 15 August, 2014
It doesn't alway pay off to support OS versions straight away. If users jump to it they do it at their own risk, as many other software companies will not be fully confident in supporting 10.10 either.

We will obviously try and fix any critical issues that are reported, but we'd rather be confident and take our time to thoroughly test on that OS before announcing support ourselves.
djfreefall 8:22 PM - 15 August, 2014
Quote:
It doesn't alway pay off to support OS versions straight away. If users jump to it they do it at their own risk, as many other software companies will not be fully confident in supporting 10.10 either.

We will obviously try and fix any critical issues that are reported, but we'd rather be confident and take our time to thoroughly test on that OS before announcing support ourselves.

Makes complete sense. I am just happy 1.7 (FOR ME) has fixed the underlying issue of the random USB dropouts. Thanks for the update Martin. If you guys need more BETA testers for FLIP using Yosemite I'd be happy to help out =).
PopRoXxX 12:03 AM - 16 August, 2014
Quote:

+1 Agreed
Shan-One 8:13 AM - 11 October, 2014
Does anyone know if this is fixed in 1.7.1?
Sikwidityo 2:08 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:

The current *workaround* is to, go in your setup screen immediately when this occurs and move the USB BUFFER SZE (LATENCY) from its current position to 20ms. Then click, "Apply."

Then move your slider back to its previous position and click, "Apply."

That's it.

This has fixed the issue for me out of the numerous times its happened while playing.

I hope this helps you out.
jmims 2:30 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The current *workaround* is to, go in your setup screen immediately when this occurs and move the USB BUFFER SZE (LATENCY) from its current position to 20ms. Then click, "Apply."
That's it.
This has fixed the issue for me out of the numerous times its happened while playing.

There's no need to click apply twice. Wherever you have your buffer set to just move the slider up or down then back to its original position and click apply. You will get a 1/2 sec audio drop out but the latency will be back to normal.
DJ Anti Hero 3:56 PM - 12 October, 2014
I've actually just run into the drop out then lag from hell issue tonight using Serato DJ 1.7.1, and an SL4 with turntables. I was playing using PNT and all was fine for about half an hour or forty minutes... then I got a few quick USB drops then LAG on the turntable control - my USB buffer was set to 5. So... I moved the buffer clicked apply and it went back to normal. Was pretty freaked out as this is on a new computer I just bought and one of the first few test runs I've had with it.

I'm on an i7 2.6GHz Macbook Pro with 16 GB DDR3 Ram and have a Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000LM014 1TB... since the drive is new and one I had never used before in any other computer I thought it was that but checked the Serato DJ forums and in a way was relieved that since reading a few threads exactly like this one - that it doesn't seem to be the drive or the computer (I just got them)... but not stoked at all that it's Serato DJ's problem since using Serato DJ with my DVS setup was the whole point in buying this new beast of a laptop.
PopRoXxX 5:43 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

That's it.

No reason for the "double apply" click

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's it.

There's no need to click apply twice. Wherever you have your buffer set to just move the slider up or down then back to its original position and click apply. You will get a 1/2 sec audio drop out but the latency will be back to normal.

This exactly :)
DJ Amos Myth 6:14 PM - 12 October, 2014
1.7.1 is a trainwreck for DVS & Video users
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:38 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:

Sorry Shan-One, there is no fix yet, but we have made some progress. Unfortunately its been extremely difficult, but we've put a lot of time into it.

Here is the latest information on the issue: support.serato.com
Shan-One 3:15 AM - 14 October, 2014
Thanks for the update, Scratch Live is still rock solid so I'm going to stick with that until this is fixed. I've never had any dropouts with Scratch Live and even a 1/2 second loss is not acceptable to me. Hopefully this is fixed, does anyone know if this still applies to the DDJ-SZ? I was thinking of getting that, but if it still does the lag, I'll hold off.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:12 AM - 14 October, 2014
This shouldn't happen when using the DDJ-SZ as a controller (we haven't had any reports of it) but it may happen when using the DVS Expansion Pack feature with the DDJ-SZ, e.g you are sending control CD/Vinyl signal into the device and using them to control the decks.
djfreefall 10:25 PM - 16 October, 2014
This is happening on my SZ using Yosemite (Which I know is not officially supported =) But the Lag afterward is not as bad as it use to be. DROP OUT's still are happening though. Im gonna go out on a limb and guess it may be a Serato DJ/Corrupt file issue. I have a friend with the exact same setup, laptop, controller he purged his corrupt files and he has never had that issue re-occur. I am going to spend this weekend removing all my corrupt files to verify if this helps.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:44 AM - 17 October, 2014
Hey djfreefall, is that when you are using the DDJ-SZ with DVS inputs, or can it happen even when the DVS Expansion Pack is disabled?
PopRoXxX 7:19 AM - 17 October, 2014
I have no corrupt files and I still get the stutter glitch/dropout for 1-2 seconds at least once a gig. On the SZ (no DVS expansion) and SRT. But no latency affected at all on the platters (SZ) or vinyl (SRT). It just stutters like an off-beat loop roll quickly and you MIGHT get a quick 1 second dropout. But I get more of the stutter issue than the actual "dropout"
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:51 PM - 17 October, 2014
Hey DJ PopRoXXX,

What you are experiencing is not quite the same as the "severe latency" issue being discussed in here, but it sounds like you are having a more typical dropout. I'd be keen to investigate that a bit more with you if you don't mind making a separate report :)
PopRoXxX 12:29 AM - 18 October, 2014
No prob Martin. Only reason I keep posting here is that it is the same issue that would happen when the latency would kick off. Just now it's happening without kicking the latency off. But when it happens, I have to check the latency (vinyl vs waveform) to make sure it's not off everytime cause it's a bit nerve racking
DJ Special K 3:44 PM - 19 October, 2014
I have this same issue, 2.66 core duo processor, 4g RAM. I have yet to use Serato DJ in a Live Gig due to this issue. I have adjusted my usb latency to prevent it and that does not work for me.
DJ Special K 3:45 PM - 19 October, 2014
Quote:
I have this same issue, 2.66 core duo processor, 4g RAM. I have yet to use Serato DJ in a Live Gig due to this issue. I have adjusted my usb latency to prevent it and that does not work for me.

Oh and I use SSL3 box.
jmims 8:57 PM - 22 October, 2014
Anyone using OSX Yosemite on a daily basics still getting the audio drop outs? I know Mavericks is bad with it just wondering if upgrading would correct the issue.
BleedR 10:28 AM - 25 October, 2014
Same with Yosemite!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:24 PM - 25 October, 2014
Just noticed no one from Serato has posted in here yet so i will quote what they have put in other threads with this issue...

Quote:

Aaron E 10:53 PM - 21 October, 2014
Good questions guys.

There is a possible fix in the 1.7.2 beta that we would love everyone to test. Can I ask you all to try the 1.7.2 beta version and NOT do the re-set before playing. If you then experience the issue, please make a report in the beta area stating the device you are using and the fact that you didn't re-set the buffer before playing.

Link to the 1.7.2 beta: serato.com

If you don't experience the issue after a period where you feel you would/should have, please report back here ( serato.com ) with your hardware.

Thanks in advance guys, this will be really helpful information in verifying the potential fix.

Aaron

Serato, Support
Martin C 3:42 AM - 28 October, 2014
Thanks LJ_WOOLSEY, I would really appreciate input on this issue, from anyone who has been regularly experiencing it up until now. Most importantly, please let me know which device you have it with.
DJ Derrick D 5:19 PM - 2 November, 2014
I'm running Yosemite with 8GB of RAM on a Mac book pro using a DDJ-SZ. I have have been experiencing this dropout issue as well. It will pause for a split second just about very 30 min or so. When it does, there is a gap in latency when scratching that is very noticeable. This is very bad when you have a stadium of people and cheer leaders and dancers dancing to your music and the song freezes for a sec. The problem seemed to start after updating the OS. I do know its not supported yet, but I didn't realize that until after, being that I have never had an issue in the past. Please tell me there will be a fix for this soon!
DJ Amos Myth 5:30 PM - 2 November, 2014
Hey Derrick D, if you have the room on your hard drive, build a new partition and install the old OS. The most stable combination for me has been Mountain Lion and Scratch Live...but I do video, which has its own set of challenges. The point is, revert back to something that you KNOW works.
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:27 AM - 4 November, 2014
Hey DJ Derrick D,

That sounds horrible! We are working very hard on a fix, we hope we'll have a solution soon.

For now, please check out this FAQ about the issue: support.serato.com

We are recommending that users experiencing this issue get familiar with using the workaround to re-apply the buffer when they have this issue to remove the latency. We will keep you guys posted on our progress.
DJ Derrick D 7:30 AM - 6 November, 2014
Martin I get that readjusting the buffer will temporarily fix the lag, but to do so you would have to case the same noticeable pause in music to make that happen. Because when you adjust the buffer it will pause the same way. And when you have thousands head nodding and dancing to a track, thats bad news! Thanks Amos for the heads up.
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:40 AM - 10 November, 2014
I completely understand dude - just wanted to make sure you were aware of the workarounds in case you hadn't heard about them already. I can assure you this issue is top priority for Rane and Serato so we hope you'll be able to avoid this completely in the future.
DJ Derrick D 5:09 AM - 11 December, 2014
Finally back on track. Thanks for fixing the issue with the latest update. Feels much better to trust my software again!
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:19 AM - 11 December, 2014
No problem, our developers worked hard on this. Its definitely improved now at least, but I still know there is a quick audible dropout happening sometimes, which I hope we can eliminate completely at some stage.
DJ Anti Hero 5:01 PM - 22 December, 2014
Martin C... I still get the quick audible dropouts too... played a few times with none... then today - about three... considering I have a pretty nicely done up non-retina Macbook Pro i7 with 16 GB of RAM... disappointed there's still drops... but yes... better than crazy lag... don't think I'll rely on this for big tho until it's fully resolved... for big gigs I'll rely on my old Core 2 Duo Macbook running Snow Leopard with Serato as I don't have that problem. Eagerly awaiting for this to get fully sorted (or maybe I have to get around to doing what I keep thinking I should do and downgrade from Maverick's to Mountain Lion) ... but glad you guys improved things...
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:14 PM - 22 December, 2014
Hey DJ Anti Hero,

I am sure we can help you with that, or at the very least it would be extremely useful to get further details from you so that it can be further investigated by our developers.

Can you please submit a help ticket here? support.serato.com

Then someone from our Support Team will be able to help you out :)
DJ Anti Hero 6:19 AM - 26 December, 2014
Will send in the report this weekend! Thanks Martin C... Hopefully I can start off the new year actually using my new computer and using Serato DJ with absolute faith and confidence.
djcaba 7:39 PM - 26 December, 2014
I'm having a similar issue - but in my case, SDJ doesn't even recover.. it stays hiccuping unless i restart SDJ. Bummer (1.7.2 too).

serato.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:06 PM - 28 December, 2014
Hi djcaba,

The best thing you can do if you are having issues is create a help ticket here: support.serato.com and our Support Team will help you.

The General discussion area will not be the best place to do that, as I can't guarantee you will get a prompt reply.

Cheers :)
djcaba 10:30 PM - 28 December, 2014
@Martin C: Thanks, just submitted a ticket with example mp3s attached
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:36 PM - 28 December, 2014
Great, appreciate that djcaba! Please hold tight for a response very soon.
DJ Anti Hero 2:03 PM - 4 January, 2015
Sad news Martin C... I also just had an issue with the latency pop up using 1.7.2 - probably for one of the largest gigs I ever played to date... luckily I knew about the workaround that used to be done in 1.7.1 and it worked... just did it during a breakdown for a track with the echo on... After that... worked with no problems for the rest of my set.

So sadly it looks like whatever you guys did for 1.7.2 - to try to kill off that monster of a bug - the latency beast has not yet been slain... A help ticket has been submitted.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:24 PM - 4 January, 2015
Hi DJ Anti Hero,

Thanks for you report on this. You mentioned in your help ticket that you've had this issue twice - both times, did you manually have to reset the buffer? The idea is that this is supposed to happen manually, with a reduced drop in audio. Is this not the case for you at all?

Please attach the session log from both of these sessions to your help ticket, these could provide us with useful information. You can find these in your default Music folder > _Serato_ > Logs. Use the date stamp to figure out which session you are looking at, but you can also open these files with text edit if you need to confirm further.

Additionally, a full system report would also be useful: support.serato.com so please attach this to your report too :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:04 AM - 5 January, 2015
Hey DJ Anti Hero,

Just to add to Martin's post - what hardware are you using with Serato DJ?

Thanks,
Michael.
DJ Anti Hero 6:30 AM - 5 January, 2015
To Martin C... Both times I did the manual buffer reset to get rid of the latency and after I could keep playing. I'll hunt down the session log from the most recent and send. I'm not sure of the date of the last time... But that was using 1.7.1 ... The most recent occurred on 1.7.2

Michael R... Each time I had the issue I was using an SL4... Once with control vinyl and most recently using control CDs

Thanks for being on this guys!
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:46 AM - 5 January, 2015
Thanks for being fast on the replies DJ Anti Hero, although we believed we had some what mitigated this issue, it is still a priority for us if people still experience it and they are still required to apply the workaround of resetting the buffer.
Jimi_Hoffa 10:48 AM - 5 January, 2015
I have to mention that I have not experienced this after I updated the firmware on my 900srt.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:04 AM - 5 January, 2015
Thats unexpected - to our knowledge this issue has not been fixed by DJM-900SRT firmware. Thanks for the updates though.
DJ Anti Hero 6:40 AM - 19 January, 2015
Matrin C... Just got a message back from support, says the issue as of yet is still unresolved and it's because of the changes Mac made on the OS and drivers for OSX... All of which I was aware because of reading the forums... And considering these OSX problems with Mavericks and Yosemite

I also asked him the following but he never answered, he just said Serato would continue to try to fix the bug... so please advise...

Are the any issues with Mountain Lion at all( Is that the most recent version of the Mac OS that is completely stable with Serato DJ)? Considering these bugs with OSX would you recommend downgrading or doing a clean install with Mountain Lion in order to have a stable experience with Serato DJ?

Thanks for all your hard work and pretty much keeping on point with this thread... Your replies were far far faster than the support team. Props.
DJ Tecniq 5:55 PM - 19 January, 2015
Quote:
Matrin C... Just got a message back from support, says the issue as of yet is still unresolved and it's because of the changes Mac made on the OS and drivers for OSX... All of which I was aware because of reading the forums... And considering these OSX problems with Mavericks and Yosemite

I also asked him the following but he never answered, he just said Serato would continue to try to fix the bug... so please advise...

Are the any issues with Mountain Lion at all( Is that the most recent version of the Mac OS that is completely stable with Serato DJ)? Considering these bugs with OSX would you recommend downgrading or doing a clean install with Mountain Lion in order to have a stable experience with Serato DJ?

Thanks for all your hard work and pretty much keeping on point with this thread... Your replies were far far faster than the support team. Props.
I'm curious now if this a problem with Mavericks and Yosemite why is it not happening in Scratchlive? Why only SDJ?
DJ Tecniq 5:57 PM - 19 January, 2015
Clearly started to sound like there are some driver issues with SDJ and OS X? This is not a problem for ppl in SSL.
DJ Anti Hero 6:33 PM - 19 January, 2015
Drivers for SSL are different than SDJ from what I understand.
BleedR 6:35 PM - 19 January, 2015
Actually Serato has announced official support for Yosemite! Why do they do so??? They can't fix the issue since Mavericks came out! This is not professional!
DJ Anti Hero 6:43 PM - 19 January, 2015
I think this is only an issue for DVS users so - true it's ok for Yosemite and Mavericks... if... IF you're using a controller... if you're a DVS user... not so much.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:15 PM - 19 January, 2015
Quote:

I don't believe this issue exists with OS versions below 10.9, as stated here: support.serato.com

In Serato DJ 1.7.2 we implemented a workaround which significantly reduced the severity of the issue, or at least we thought we had by confirming this with several users during Public Beta. It now seems that some people still experience the issue however, which is why we will continue to work on it.

The issue doesn't exist with Scratch Live because Scratch Live uses drivers written by Serato to interact with the Rane devices. In Serato DJ we use the drivers written by Rane.

This issue is comes as a result of the Rane drivers interacting with Mac OS 10.9 and above.
DJ Tecniq 2:56 AM - 20 January, 2015
Wow hope it gets fixed SDJ is supposed to be the future here๐Ÿ™Œ
Deejay Steve 9:14 AM - 20 January, 2015
I don't know if this is relevant but about a month ago i was using my control cds with Serato DJ and it glitched leaving the cds out of kilter with the software. A restart was required to fix. I now have no real issues using 1.7.2 with Yosemite 10.10.1 on a quad core i7 MacBook Pro with Rane SL4. I did change the usb cable so not 100% sure if that was the issue but may be worth you guys giving that a try first

Steve
DJ Anti Hero 5:40 AM - 27 January, 2015
Deejay Steve... that sounds like the latency thing they're trying to sort it out... if it does ever rear its ugly head... you probably don't need a restart... any time I've had this issue you just need to go to "Setup" in the top corner... go to the audio tab... then move the buffer slider off of where you have it set and back to the original spot and hit apply.
Deejay Steve 12:55 PM - 27 January, 2015
Thanks for the heads up Dj Anti Hero :-)
christianbiko 3:05 PM - 27 January, 2015
I too have been experiencing the audio drop out and then latency with Serato dj since Mavericks. I thought the recent update with Yosemite support would have fixed it.
This is a very serious problem and makes professional dj's sound amateur.
Serato dj is a great software package but with this type of problem can not be used in a professional setting. The workaround is a solution but we can't rely on the patrons and club managers to understand what is going on when the music stops abruptly twice in quick succession.

One club that I play recently installed a 900srt which was requested by us the dj's. Since then the manager is wondering why they have paid so much money for a new system with such problems. Why do we need to explain to him its because Serato doesn't make the drivers anymore or that we need to run an operating system from two years ago etc? It just needs to work. This is what we are being told, and the message I am passing on.

Please Serato this is a major factor for using your software or having to try out an alternative. Many people are walking around with usbs in their pocket ready to take another dj's slot. How can we compete with the "professional" tools that we have invested a lot of time and money into, not working at 100%?
BleedR 11:23 PM - 27 January, 2015
They just don't get it!!!
It's like Nokia and mobile phones... and then came Apple...
If Serato can't manage to make working software/driver for more then an OS X version lifetime cycle, they habe to go!
Atm we are selling the 61 from our club and are sticking to the old Pioneer DJM 700, no one want's to use the 61, it just sucks atm. And no one considers anymore to buy something different than the SL1 which they use with Scratch Live and an old laptop, as no need for not working SDJ! I'm only pissed, that I was so stupid to completely delete all my extended versions and use only originals with custom made Flips that are only playable in SDJ! :(((
I own additionally an S4 from Traktor, not using it because it's a bitch keeping the Serato and the NI library up to date, but at the moment I don't see a reason to not use it instead of the VCI 380 that I bought 3 months ago :/
DJ Tecniq 4:17 AM - 28 January, 2015
I tried to tell everyone serato dj will be the death of Rane...long live Scratchlive! The sad part I don't think the company knew any of this was going to happen when they wanted to "convert" everyone onto their controller based software. Well now your kicking yourselves in the ass for it. Hate to say I told you so. Scratchlive will always be my "go to" reliable software. SDJ has been an embarrassment from the start. Truth hurts.
Chakuriki 4:32 AM - 28 January, 2015
Serato DJ 1.7.3 on macbook pro osx 10.10.1 still skipping one time in a 10h set, main bugs are gone but still not stable! Using SL3 with timecode. When will this get fixed!
DJ Tecniq 9:08 AM - 28 January, 2015
Quote:
Serato DJ 1.7.3 on macbook pro osx 10.10.1 still skipping one time in a 10h set, main bugs are gone but still not stable! Using SL3 with timecode. When will this get fixed!
I would wait till they are close to the 2.0 versions then maybe they'll get somewhere finally. I don't understand how they missed the "missing files issue" when it's happening to numerous computer users. The fact it didn't happen in the beta version but happened to be in the final release. Where's the excuse for that? ๐Ÿ‘€
j cue 4:12 AM - 29 January, 2015
it did happen in all the betas for me!
j cue 4:16 AM - 29 January, 2015
but since 1.7.3 i have not yet encountered this issue. fingers crossed
DJ Tecniq 7:54 AM - 29 January, 2015
Quote:
it did happen in all the betas for me!
odd it never happened in the beta for me but the final release it did.
Nocturnal2014 4:34 PM - 29 January, 2015
This sounds like the same thing that is happening to me but on Windows 7. Few hours into my set the music get distorted and I gotta reboot. I've since gone back to SSL and no issues. Not sure it is just Mac's having this issue.
WarpNote 6:01 PM - 29 January, 2015
There is no distortion on the mac, just a very large latency. Serato issued a workaround in 1.7.2 and the latency is gone, now you would only potentially experience the dropout itself.
No need for a restart on the Mac...

You probably wanna start a help request Nocturnal, to get you sorted out :-)
Nocturnal2014 6:16 PM - 29 January, 2015
Ahhhh, ok thought it might be similar. I'm on my 3rd support ticket so far lol.
BleedR 11:02 AM - 30 January, 2015
I just made another ticket as I experienced it yesterday with 1.7.3 and noticed that my last ticket was for 1.7.2
DeeJay Staas 12:15 AM - 17 February, 2015
any news to bypass the audio skips ?
djcaba 2:50 AM - 17 February, 2015
There is a noticeable strain on the cpu if I were to open up Firefox and start browsing youtube (for example) alongside Serato DJ. As of now, I just make sure wi-fi is off.

And in MSCONFIG>Startup, the only items that are checked are 1) Microsoft Security Client [my antivirus etc] and 2) iTunes.

Also, in MSCONFIG>Services, I have the following disabled since they're useless (and dubbed harmless to disable via www.bleepingcomputer.com):
- NVIDIA Network Service
- NVIDIA Display Driver Service
- Dell Status Monitor Database
- Adobe SwitchBoard
- Fax

In the Serato DJ SETUP, I make sure to disable any Expansion Packs that I'm not using. This includes unchecking Serato Video and Serato Remote.

With these possible cpu load precautions, the lag/stutter has never happened during live events... so far [crosses fingers].

There was one time when I left Serato DJ on Autoplay while listening to the music list from the kitchen (only the mixer attached running INT). And about and hour into the autoplaylist it happened again! Luckily, it wasn't at an event - I was just at home.

So problem not solved... just.. diverted for now until it's actually solved (maybe never).
The Serato DJ program needs to take less strain from the cpu somehow is how I see it. Lose some bells and whistles maye - make some unused functions toggle-able perhaps? I

Or perhaps, it is my CPU? - but its a i7 "sandybridge" 272QM (quadcore) 2.20 GHz w/ 8GB RAM in the laptop?! I hope not.

Either way, my next laptop will definitely be a macbook pro - it's got enough specs to carry a large amount of data and process sufficiently. Sometime in the next two years I keep telling myself. Here's a video of what laptop I'm rolling with (it's not me btw)...
DELL XPS 15 L502x i7-2720QM 2.20 GHz... Watchwww.youtube.com ... Note, I have the same Graphics card in the video, but I have chosen to disable it this in the Device Manager during live events. I have also disabled the webcam and computer mic drivers in lieu of NSA spying paranoia.

But seriously now, "C'C'C'c'mon," what if I wanted to video DJ and use Serato Remote live at an event. Limitations of Serato DJ due to overloading of bells and whistles?! Something needs to be done!
j cue 4:07 AM - 17 February, 2015
Quote:
There is no distortion on the mac, just a very large latency. Serato issued a workaround in 1.7.2 and the latency is gone, now you would only potentially experience the dropout itself.
No need for a restart on the Mac...

You probably wanna start a help request Nocturnal, to get you sorted out :-)

That's not entirely accurate. when i had this problem on my mac i also experienced said distortion. and my last encounter with this issue was with 1.7.2. re-adjusting the latency slider and clicking apply righted the issue for me.
BleedR 1:03 PM - 17 February, 2015
The issue we are discussing here is Mac related. Your posting is totally in the wrong context and has nothing to do with it!

Quote:
There is a noticeable strain on the cpu if I were to open up Firefox and start browsing youtube (for example) alongside Serato DJ. As of now, I just make sure wi-fi is off.

And in MSCONFIG>Startup, the only items that are checked are 1) Microsoft Security Client [my antivirus etc] and 2) iTunes.

Also, in MSCONFIG>Services, I have the following disabled since they're useless (and dubbed harmless to disable via www.bleepingcomputer.com):
- NVIDIA Network Service
- NVIDIA Display Driver Service
- Dell Status Monitor Database
- Adobe SwitchBoard
- Fax

In the Serato DJ SETUP, I make sure to disable any Expansion Packs that I'm not using. This includes unchecking Serato Video and Serato Remote.

With these possible cpu load precautions, the lag/stutter has never happened during live events... so far [crosses fingers].

There was one time when I left Serato DJ on Autoplay while listening to the music list from the kitchen (only the mixer attached running INT). And about and hour into the autoplaylist it happened again! Luckily, it wasn't at an event - I was just at home.

So problem not solved... just.. diverted for now until it's actually solved (maybe never).
The Serato DJ program needs to take less strain from the cpu somehow is how I see it. Lose some bells and whistles maye - make some unused functions toggle-able perhaps? I

Or perhaps, it is my CPU? - but its a i7 "sandybridge" 272QM (quadcore) 2.20 GHz w/ 8GB RAM in the laptop?! I hope not.

Either way, my next laptop will definitely be a macbook pro - it's got enough specs to carry a large amount of data and process sufficiently. Sometime in the next two years I keep telling myself. Here's a video of what laptop I'm rolling with (it's not me btw)...
DELL XPS 15 L502x i7-2720QM 2.20 GHz... Watchwww.youtube.com ... Note, I have the same Graphics card in the video, but I have chosen to disable it this in the Device Manager during live events. I have also disabled the webcam and computer mic drivers in lieu of NSA spying paranoia.

But seriously now, "C'C'C'c'mon," what if I wanted to video DJ and use Serato Remote live at an event. Limitations of Serato DJ due to overloading of bells and whistles?! Something needs to be done!
Konman 4:33 PM - 24 February, 2015
Is there any news on a fix for this? Or any news on an estimated amount of time for a fix? I am still encountering this problem on a semi-regular basis.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:50 AM - 25 February, 2015
Hi Konman,

Which version of Serato DJ are you using, and with what hardware?

Thanks,
Michael.
djfreefall 7:11 PM - 26 February, 2015
Is 1.7.4 in Beta yet? Had a dropout last night, just curious to try it out. If anyone from serato can PM me that would be awesome. Thanks!
BleedR 3:37 AM - 27 February, 2015
djsleeper.com 12:10 AM - 3 March, 2015
i'm having this issue with serato dj 1.7.3. the glitch is what you guys have described. worst flanger ever type metallic, screaming sound. and it lasts way more than 1-2 seconds.

really want to start using serato DJ, but it is still unusable in live situations
Konman 12:57 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Hi Konman,

Thanks,
Michael.

Hey Michael,

Using Serato DJ 1.7.3 (seldomly due to it's instability)

OSX 10.9.5

Macbook Retina 2.6GHz Intel Core i7

8Gb Memory

8Gb Ram

Over 200 Gigs free on the hard drive.

The audio glitch has happened while playing ONLY WITH Serato DJ on an SL4 and my Pioneer SRT-900.

It's happened multiple times.

I have to move the USB Buffer and move it back, click "Apply" and I am back to normal, however there is a time where I can't use the records due to the latency, and there is an audible cut in sound or a skip in the music when the "Apply" button is clicked.

Any word on a time frame for fixing this issue all of us in this thread seem to be having dating back to a year ago?

Thanks!
DJ Tecniq 1:34 AM - 4 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Konman,

Thanks,
Michael.

Hey Michael,

Using Serato DJ 1.7.3 (seldomly due to it's instability)

OSX 10.9.5

Macbook Retina 2.6GHz Intel Core i7

8Gb Memory

8Gb Ram

Over 200 Gigs free on the hard drive.

The audio glitch has happened while playing ONLY WITH Serato DJ on an SL4 and my Pioneer SRT-900.

It's happened multiple times.

I have to move the USB Buffer and move it back, click "Apply" and I am back to normal, however there is a time where I can't use the records due to the latency, and there is an audible cut in sound or a skip in the music when the "Apply" button is clicked.

Any word on a time frame for fixing this issue all of us in this thread seem to be having dating back to a year ago?

Thanks!
Have you tried the latest 1.7.4 beta? They fixed a ton of bugs lately.
DJ Derrick D 1:38 AM - 21 March, 2015
Yeah I haven't checked bac on this discussion in a while. But I jumped the gun when I said it was solved. The hickup and then sometimes the audio drops down 25% is some BS! Def not resolved!
alexexpress 11:02 AM - 31 March, 2015
Hi there,
Does anyone experience the issue with MPB mid 2010? (10.9.5 serato dj 1.7.3)
Is it better tu run the 1.5?
Thanks
monkeyfunk 1:25 AM - 14 May, 2017
I'm having this exact issue with a late 2016 MBP, 16gb of ram, sierra, SDJ 1.9.6.

Sound dropout, then terrible latency. I still don't know what this issue is caused by. And why I'm looking at three year old threads to pick up knowledge on workarounds.
DJ Amos Myth 2:31 AM - 14 May, 2017
Workaround

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
16GB RAM
Mountain Lion OS 10.8.5 Partition
Scratch Live 2.5.0 (25011)
Serato Video

I use vinyl to mix music videos. This has been my most stable rig so far. Also running ShowXpress with midi control in the backgroup and SMC Fan Control, otherwise the OS is bare bones.
Laz219 2:38 AM - 14 May, 2017
Sounds like 'megalatency' as it became known.
As far as I knew it was fixed many versions back so maybe this is something different.

This was the workaround at the time:
support.serato.com

I'd contact Serato directly to see if they can narrow it down.
monkeyfunk 7:26 PM - 14 May, 2017
Quote:
Sounds like 'megalatency' as it became known.
As far as I knew it was fixed many versions back so maybe this is something different.

This was the workaround at the time:
support.serato.com

I'd contact Serato directly to see if they can narrow it down.

Thanks all. So weird that this still goes on. Feels like a processor or networking bleed, as a result of a process elsewhere it dramatically tears into Serato
PopRoXxX 6:02 PM - 15 May, 2017
Quote:
I'm having this exact issue with a late 2016 MBP, 16gb of ram, sierra, SDJ 1.9.6.

Sound dropout, then terrible latency. I still don't know what this issue is caused by. And why I'm looking at three year old threads to pick up knowledge on workarounds.

It looks like you might be having this issue because you're using the brand new MacBook Pro line. Try checking out this thread to see if anything said can help you out --> serato.com
monkeyfunk 8:12 PM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

It looks like you might be having this issue because you're using the brand new MacBook Pro line. Try checking out this thread to see if anything said can help you out --> serato.com

Thanks man