DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speaker dilemma - EV ETX line

Mike Sinclair 1:58 PM - 14 February, 2014
So, I've heard that the new EV ETX speaker line is going to be "the ones to beat". A few "insiders" have been blown away by them and I've talked to one guy who heard them at NAMM who's first thought was "I need to sell my QSC K series". I currently use 2 K12's and one Ksub myself. I looked at the smallest ETX sub and it's too big to fit in my vehicle with my other equipment. So, I'm looking at two potential options. 1) Keep the Ksub and buy 2 12" EV ETX tops. or 2) Buy 2 15" ETX tops and not use a sub. I generally do small to medium weddings. (average 100-150 people). Will I miss the sub if I don't have one? Or could these 15's really get the job done? I've looked at specs, but I don't understand a lot of the numbers. I am looking for advice here.
SELECT 2:12 PM - 14 February, 2014
You havent even heard them yet. Wait till you can personally demo them to make your decision. Specs dont mean squat.
Mike Sinclair 2:14 PM - 14 February, 2014
Right, but I've talked with five people who HAVE heard them and they are all floored by them. I know everyone has to hear them for themselves to make decisions. But, one DJ, who's opinion I respect, can't stop talking about how good these ETX's sound... just sayin'
SELECT 2:36 PM - 14 February, 2014
This is the second thread you started on these speakers. Good luck and let us know how they sound when you finally hear them for yourself.
Mike Sinclair 3:20 PM - 14 February, 2014
Sorry. In the first thread, I was looking at RCF vs EV ETX. After measuring my car, I realize the ETX sub will NOT fit :( ... so now I'm looking at either Ksub with 2 ETX 12's or no sub and 2 ETX 15's. (I guess I could've put this on the other thread... sorry bout that)
Rebelguy 3:20 PM - 14 February, 2014
I heard them at NAMM and thought the tops were decent but not mind blowing like you may have heard. The winner in the line to me was the 15 inch sub.

You also have to remember that EV presented these in a controlled environment with demo music specifically picked to highlight the speakers.

Will they sound better than your current QSCs? Probably, but so do the Yamaha DXR, JBL PRX, and EV ZLX line. Will your party audience notice? Probably not. Are they not going to hire you because you don't have the ETX line? Probably not.

Lastly, the ETX line weighs more than your K series speakers.
Mike Sinclair 3:22 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I heard them at NAMM and thought the tops were decent but not mind blowing like you may have heard. The winner in the line to me was the 15 inch sub.

You also have to remember that EV presented these in a controlled environment with demo music specifically picked to highlight the speakers.

Will they sound better than your current QSCs? Probably, but so do the Yamaha DXR, JBL PRX, and EV ZLX line. Will your party audience notice? Probably not. Are they not going to hire you because you don't have the ETX line? Probably not.

Very good points. Another option I've considered is to keep my KSub and replace the K12's with KW122's. Does anyone know if the KW's have a little better sound than the K12's? I know they are wood, but I haven't heard them.
SELECT 3:36 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Very good points. Another option I've considered is to keep my KSub and replace the K12's with KW122's. Does anyone know if the KW's have a little better sound than the K12's? I know they are wood, but I haven't heard them.

I use both the k12 and kw122 regularly with my DJ friends at their gigs. The biggest difference is the the bass tone. The KW122 delivers a better bass note at high volumes.
Mike Sinclair 3:39 PM - 14 February, 2014
Damn, all these choices... now I'm eyeballing the Yamaha DXR stuff too. If the ETX tops aren't really mind-blowing like I'm hearing, then maybe I need to quit buying into the hype and see what other options are out there. What if I were to ask which is better between the Yamaha DXR line with a DSX12 sub VS the RCF HD32a's with a 905AS sub. Thanks guys! I appreciate your thoughts.
Rebelguy 4:05 PM - 14 February, 2014
I think you really need to ask yourself why your needing to upgrade. Is your current system not delivering enough sound or are you just trying to get the newest gear? If anything I would replace the ksub. Those are definitely the weak link in your sound chain.
SELECT 4:30 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I think you really need to ask yourself why your needing to upgrade. Is your current system not delivering enough sound or are you just trying to get the newest gear? If anything I would replace the ksub. Those are definitely the weak link in your sound chain.

I would keep the K12, they do the job. My buddy pairs them up with a KW181 and it sounds awesome. That would be my top choice. So I would definitely replace the sub if you want your system to sound louder so to speak. Since space is an issue you could also try two 12in subs or a single 15in sub.
DJ GaFFle 4:39 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
... If anything I would replace the ksub. Those are definitely the weak link in your sound chain.

+1

You should consider the EV ETX35P. You'll find that most 3-way tops outmatch most 2-way powered tops in the low-end bass AND overall sound quality department. Yes, they're heavier but you'll no longer need that K-sub and it's only 2 speakers. The EV ETX35P's are pole mountable like the old JBL PRX635's were. I don't know why JBL didn't make the new PRX735's pole mountable (deal killer).
Mike Sinclair 4:43 PM - 14 February, 2014
Great thought, but the 35P's definitely wouldn't fit in my car. I'll bet they'd sound fantastic though!
SELECT 4:48 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Great thought, but the 35P's definitely wouldn't fit in my car. I'll bet they'd sound fantastic though!

I dont like the coverage pattern on those 3 ways, super narrow. The 10, 12 & 15 have a wide coverage pattern, best suited for mobile work.
Aden 5:24 PM - 14 February, 2014
Imo, two 12" ETX tops will over power your k sub. Like the other posters mentioned - invest your money in a new sub first.

I use k 12's with 2 kw181's and it sounds great. Do you know if a kw181 will fit in your car?
Mike Sinclair 6:05 PM - 14 February, 2014
Aden, if the 12's would overpower the Ksub, then what about using two 15" ETX tops with no sub? That's something I'm thinking about trying.
JDforKing 6:16 PM - 14 February, 2014
I'm still not understanding the problem with your current set up. For 100-150 people i think 2 k12s and a k sub would be fine.
SELECT 6:21 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
I'm still not understanding the problem with your current set up. For 100-150 people i think 2 k12s and a k sub would be fine.

Yup, especially for Weddings where at any given time your probably gonna have half that amount of people on the actual dancefloor.
Mike Sinclair 7:03 PM - 14 February, 2014
There isn't a problem with my current set up. It's just that when someone who uses this same setup goes to NAMM and sees these etx speakers and their first thought is "I need to sell my qsc stuff" it makes me want to hear them! I had speakers prior to my QSC stuff that were fine too, but the QSC's are better.
Aden 7:19 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Aden, if the 12's would overpower the Ksub, then what about using two 15" ETX tops with no sub? That's something I'm thinking about trying.

I'm sure it would be an improvement. Def test them out before you spend the money.

I'm also considering upgrading to the ETX line from my QSC's.
DJ GaFFle 8:30 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Great thought, but the 35P's definitely wouldn't fit in my car...

What do you drive, a Lotus?

Here a 3-way speaker that's pole mountable and surely crushes the entire ETX line and any powered 2-way speaker out there under $1500 each (including the ZXA5).

Mackie HD1531: www.mackie.com

If you're just looking for the newest toys, this may not be up your alley.

(nm)
Mike Sinclair 8:45 PM - 14 February, 2014
Appreciate it, but I don't want to lift that beast up onto a pole... 96 pounds? WOW!
the_black_one 9:39 PM - 14 February, 2014
i cant remember the model number for that EV box (15 inch... no homo) ... it was passive but they knocked!!!!!! i wish i could get just the boxes ... load them with my own drivers....

nm nh
dj_soo 11:51 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Kw122s definitely sound nicer, but they are also bigger and heavier. As everyone mentioned, right now the weakest link is you sub. A single ksub is going to be hard pressed to keep up with any of the high powered tops these days. Might even just consider getting a 2nd one if space is that much of a concern, or see if you can fit a kw181 in your vehicle.
DjCity 1:31 AM - 15 February, 2014
Just get another ksub to round out your sound a little more.

If the 15" sub won't fit in your car and the 18" sub won't fit either, just get another ksub.

You will run into the same issue you have right now if you get another set of tops.

Your tops are fine. You need better low end.
dj_soo 8:04 AM - 15 February, 2014
Unless you're using a 2 sweater coupe or something, 2 15s shouldn't be an issue in most cars. I can fit 2 15" subs, 2 k12s, 2 10" speakers, turntables and a mixer in flight cases in my Camry no problem...
Joee 6:12 PM - 15 February, 2014
didn't we talk about this already here?---> serato.com..... I'm telling you for what you do

two RCF FD12-A & two RCF SUB 705-AS

you WILL be happy
Joee 6:14 PM - 15 February, 2014
o i see the sub might not fit!.....what kind of car are you driving?.....i can tell you if the rcf sub will fit
Joee 6:14 PM - 15 February, 2014
Mike Sinclair 6:17 PM - 16 February, 2014
I heard the RCF HD-12a's last night ... not bad (sounded a little better than the QSC K12's). I am really curious to hear the EV ETX stuff. I might buy a pair of 15's and see how they sound and if I need a sub, I might look at the JBL PRX715XLF ... it's 1500 watts and only weighs 56 pounds. Or, should I buy ETX 12's and just plan on buying a sub? I've been told by guys who have heard the ETX's at NAMM that two 15's will sound better and fuller than my K12's and one KSub that I use now.
DjCity 6:29 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Or, should I buy ETX 12's and just plan on buying a sub? I've been told by guys who have heard the ETX's at NAMM that two 15's will sound better and fuller than my K12's and one KSub that I use now.

I'm seriously doubting that any full range speaker will sound better and fuller than a top and a sub.
That being said, 2 k12's with one ksub kinda defeats the purpose of having a sub because the ksub does not do very much and the 2 k12's easily overpower it.

I still say that you should just get another ksub and call it a day.
If you want the EV's, plan on getting subs. Not a sub but "subs".
Joee 7:08 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
I heard the RCF HD-12a's last night ... not bad (sounded a little better than the QSC K12's). I am really curious to hear the EV ETX stuff. I might buy a pair of 15's and see how they sound and if I need a sub, I might look at the JBL PRX715XLF ... it's 1500 watts and only weighs 56 pounds. Or, should I buy ETX 12's and just plan on buying a sub? I've been told by guys who have heard the ETX's at NAMM that two 15's will sound better and fuller than my K12's and one KSub that I use now.

one 15" sub will not be adequate for two 15" tops

if one 15" sub is the way you want to go ,you should be looking at 10"/12" tops
Rebelguy 9:25 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
I've been told by guys who have heard the ETX's at NAMM that two 15's will sound better and fuller than my K12's and one KSub that I use now.

Anyone who heard the ETXs at NAMM did so in a controlled 20ft x 10ft room which was fully carpeted and set up to make the speakers sound as good as they possibly can. This included a testing soundtrack which was picked to highlight the speakers. I would wait to hear the speakers in person before making any serious decisions. Honestly if you are going to go the 15inch speaker route then why not spend a few hundred more per cabinet and get the ZXA5s.
DjDizzyD 12:53 AM - 17 February, 2014
Last year I was using the PRX635 without a sub and they worked really well! I never had the overheating problem that other have had either. This year I was going to upgrade to the PRX 735 but I was informed by the GC sales person that they do not have the punch that the 635's had. So I checked out the 715 and the 718-XLF! Unimaginable power was all that I was hearing! Needless to say, I am picking up 2 PRX 715's and 2 PRX 718-xlf's!
DJ GaFFle 2:01 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Last year I was using the PRX635 without a sub and they worked really well! I never had the overheating problem that other have had either. This year I was going to upgrade to the PRX 735 but I was informed by the GC sales person that they do not have the punch that the 635's had. So I checked out the 715 and the 718-XLF! Unimaginable power was all that I was hearing! Needless to say, I am picking up 2 PRX 715's and 2 PRX 718-xlf's!

Consumer Warning: The JBL PRX735's are NOT pole mountable like the PRX635's... deal kiLLer!

(nm)
DjDizzyD 2:15 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Consumer Warning: [i]The JBL
PRX735's are NOT pole mountable like the PRX635's...[/i] deal kiLLer!
I never liked mounting them in the first place, looked weird and was never needed. The 15" sub in the 735's are not as strong as they were in the 635's

(nm)
DJ DisGrace 2:29 AM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Consumer Warning: The JBL PRX735's are NOT pole mountable like the PRX635's... deal kiLLer!

(nm)

That's an easy $5 fix
encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com
DJ GaFFle 1:08 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(nm)

That's an easy $5 fix

If the manufacturer didn't decide a $5 pole cup was suitable for this speaker... it's not meant to be pole mounted. It's probably out of balance or too top heavy; therefore, a safety risk.

You can hack your speakers and put your gigs at jeopardy... not me.
DjDizzyD 1:17 PM - 17 February, 2014
Me either, the 635's were top heavy and I never understood why any body would put them on a pole. I put them on speaker stands just once and it was the last because
1. They didn't look right
2. They sounded better sitting on the floor!
DJ GaFFle 5:45 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Me either, the 635's were top heavy and I never understood why any body would put them on a pole. I put them on speaker stands just once and it was the last because
1. They didn't look right
2. They sounded better sitting on the floor!

I'm gonna disagree here. I found the pole mount great for the PRX635. I have K&M speaker stands and the tips expand to snuggly fit most pole cups.

Most speakers will sound best on the floor due to ground coupling enhancing the sound of your bass but you can't play parties with them on the floor unless your dance floor is full of midgets. You gotta get the speaker up in the air to get above the crowd's heads. Even in the air, the 635's sounded better than many 2-way powered options out there just because of their 3-way design.

(nm)
DJ DisGrace 6:25 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

(nm)

That's an easy $5 fix

If the manufacturer didn't decide a $5 pole cup was suitable for this speaker... it's not meant to be pole mounted. It's probably out of balance or too top heavy; therefore, a safety risk.

You can hack your speakers and put your gigs at jeopardy... not me.

You do make a good point, there. Something for the Dodgy Technicians fb group lol
MTL18 8:27 PM - 24 March, 2014
@MIke Sinclair- Dude, I was feeling your frustration from some of these posts. You were a lot nicer than I would had been. Bottom line- all QSC DJ gear (K sub, KW181, etc, etc..) is crap. I have no idea how they became popular. The K series tops are harsh, especially around 4-5 K, and the subs (KW181, etc..) are, at best, suitable for a home stereo.

Unfortunately, the only sub outside the ls -801p (which is loud and muddy sounding, but will definitely not fit in your car) that may be a good choice is the etx-15 or 18P. We haven't heard them yet, so who knows? My advice is to sell the K series crap you own NOW because they are still worth a little money (still some ignorant DJs out there who haven't bought them yet). If you got the cash and are a "QSC" nut, then go with their line array series tops. Good price point, light, easy rigging, and sound decent. IMHO- the EV ELX-112P's or 115-Ps are still best DJ active speaker at the $800 or less price point. They run around 4-500 bucks, weigh less than 50 lbs, and sound great! Disregard the few videos on the net where DJs compare a QSC K series top to the ELX 112-P by "matching" what they think are "volume knobs". The EV has an input and output level. The "reviewers" clearly had no understanding of this. They saw some "knobs", turned them up 1/2 way, and compared. I guess it made them feel better overspending 3-400 bucks a box! Good luck...
Mike Sinclair 8:31 PM - 24 March, 2014
MTL18, Thanks for your post. I did end up selling the qsc stuff and I pre-ordered a pair of EV ETX-12P's. I just need to find a decent sounding sub. I've been eyeballing the JBL PRX715XLF. Only thing about that is I'm hearing there is major fan noise.
MTL18 8:37 PM - 24 March, 2014
I'd wait for the ETX-18ps. Demo them at your local music store (GC, etc..) PRX715XLF are no where as loud as LS-801P, but sound much better. The baby RCF subs sound pretty good as well, but more money. I rarely use subs at DJ weddings, etc.. People tend to complain more about them than enjoy them. In fact, I have never had a client or guest say, "Man, the bass was pounding and it sounded so good!" However, I have heard, "Man, can you turn down the bass" many a time. I turn off my sub aux send, and the client gives me a thumbs up with a smile. Go figure!
MTL18 8:44 PM - 24 March, 2014
If you got 1400 bucks burning a hole in your pocket, you can buy 12 Chauvet slim-par 64s w/ bags for the price of 1 decent subs. You can get 3-500 bucks/night extra for them as uplights. Plus, they will fit easily into your vehicle.
DjDizzyD 10:53 PM - 24 March, 2014
I have the JBL 718-XLF and it sounds amazing! To anyone who says there is a lot of fan noise, I never noticed it!!! The JBL 715's are amazing as well!!!
Rebelguy 11:49 PM - 24 March, 2014
Quote:
@MIke Sinclair- Dude, I was feeling your frustration from some of these posts. You were a lot nicer than I would had been. Bottom line- all QSC DJ gear (K sub, KW181, etc, etc..) is crap. I have no idea how they became popular. The K series tops are harsh, especially around 4-5 K, and the subs (KW181, etc..) are, at best, suitable for a home stereo.

They became popular because they sound a lot better than the Mackie SRM-450s that they were manufactured to compete with. While I don't think they sound amazing they are still decent sounding speakers when kept within realistic limits. If pushed hard they do sound bad. They are also the main speaker you will find in a lot of PA rental houses as well as being used at small scale corporate events. I have had many a corporate customer request K12s because they know what to expect. I don't own them but do rent them when needed.
dj_soo 4:35 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
They became popular because they sound a lot better than the Mackie SRM-450s that they were manufactured to compete with.

they are built better too - even the italian made 450s tended to have issues with overheating.

My k12s have treated me well over the last 5 years and I also never try to do shows beyond my means so I've never had to push them to limit (which is, by all reports, when the K12s start sounding shitty).

I definitely think most of the newer speaker lines have passed them by in terms of sound quality and the like, but the QSCs are built very well and are very reliable speakers...
pdidy 7:58 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
@MIke Sinclair- Dude, I was feeling your frustration from some of these posts. You were a lot nicer than I would had been. Bottom line- all QSC DJ gear (K sub, KW181, etc, etc..) is crap. I have no idea how they became popular. The K series tops are harsh, especially around 4-5 K, and the subs (KW181, etc..) are, at best, suitable for a home stereo....

Stopped reading after this, this user is obviously trolling for attention..therefore no credibility.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:01 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
@MIke Sinclair- Dude, I was feeling your frustration from some of these posts. You were a lot nicer than I would had been. Bottom line- all QSC DJ gear (K sub, KW181, etc, etc..) is crap. I have no idea how they became popular. The K series tops are harsh, especially around 4-5 K, and the subs (KW181, etc..) are, at best, suitable for a home stereo....

Stopped reading after this, this user is obviously trolling for attention..therefore no credibility.

All I could do was laugh.
Smoke21 2:42 PM - 24 April, 2014
Mike sinclair, i know how you feel, when i first started searching for my first pair of speakers i also asked around and went to many dj stores to hear the opinions of the QSCs and JBLs and EVs and ended up with the Elx 115p tops no subs for now and i have no complaints of these speakers i love how they sound and havent heard the ETX line yet but i bet they sound great as well even better than the ELX line. Hope you can give us ur opinions on the ETXs you have ordered. BTW how much did you pay for the pair of 12" ETX?? Good luck..
Joee 2:52 PM - 24 April, 2014
^ he bought some fbt speakers already
SELECT 12:24 AM - 28 April, 2014
Just demo'd the 12 and 15 etx. The GC sales rep was a nice guy, but ran them through a small mixer board that he kept eq'n heavily while I was standing away just listening. Also he used his cell phone to play mostly acoustic tracks. Boo! I wanted to hear the bass! First the size, both very mangle in weight. Both boxes have a corner wedge in the back for use as floor monitors. The sound, I will say they both reached pretty loud levels and did not distort. From my experience now I would say they perform at a higher level than their lower end models. I definitely would of rather heard them with some EDM music or Dancehall. Lastly they only had the 18 sub in stock. It was way bigger than a QSC KW181! No way I would be handling that on my own. The 15 sub is a better choice for single man man mobile work. I am actually going to buy them as Im going all powered now. Im picking up two 15s and the 15in sub. I'll keep you posted on the review. They arrive in about 2-3 weeks.
DJ DisGrace 12:53 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1

then he went and recommended some Chauvet lighting....
DjDizzyD 1:17 AM - 28 April, 2014
I still say to go with the JBL 718 XLF SUB! it has some serious pound to it and no cabinet rattling! The JBL 715's are an amazing addition as well. When I went to GC, I had them test the ev's, QSR's and the JBL's! In my opinion the JBL's were a lot clearer and just sounded all around better!
DJ GaFFle 1:25 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
... Lastly they only had the 18 sub in stock. It was way bigger than a QSC KW181!

Way bigger... not from what I saw. It was only a little bigger. A bigger box for bigger, better bass.
SELECT 2:55 AM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
... Lastly they only had the 18 sub in stock. It was way bigger than a QSC KW181!

Way bigger... not from what I saw. It was only a little bigger. A bigger box for bigger, better bass.

Its overall size is way bigger. The depth and weight is just a huge difference. Just look at the specs of both subs. The KW181 is easy to lift and you can easily fit two side by side in most hatchbacks or suv's. No way the ETX 18. I want one, but Im trying to figure out how Im going to fit it into my SUV with all my other gear. Im literally measuring my trunk space tomorrow.
DJ GaFFle 7:02 PM - 28 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Its overall size is way bigger. The depth and weight is just a huge difference. Just look at the specs of both subs. The KW181 is easy to lift and you can easily fit two side by side in most hatchbacks or suv's. No way the ETX 18. I want one, but Im trying to figure out how Im going to fit it into my SUV with all my other gear. Im literally measuring my trunk space tomorrow.

LoL... if I were in the market for some GC quality subs, I'd consider the ETX's over the KW181's. I listened and they seemed to hit harder and lower. I didn't do any extensive testing though. They cause the surroundings and shelves to resonate, whereas the KW181's did not. Hardly scientific but just an observation on a quick A/B test.
dj_soo 4:54 AM - 29 April, 2014
Always thought the appeal of the KW181 was the portability, size, and weight. Pretty sure most similarly priced 18s will outperform them...
MTL18 6:35 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

then he went and recommended some Chauvet lighting....

No, this user is trying to help people make informed decisions about the gear they purchase. And yes, I suggested buying "Chauvet lighting",, specifically for uplights.... IF somebody was on a budget and wanted to maximize their profits. Furthermore, I have read many posts on this thread regarding the size/weight of speakers and fitting them in their jeep, car, etc.. THERE IS NO SUBWOOFER THAT WILL FIT IN YOUR CAR THAT IS WORTH BUYING for professional audio! QSC DJ series (K) speakers are overpriced and do not sound good. QSC should had stuck to making power amps. They do that reasonably well. The posts above either came from "DJs" who wasted 100's of dollars on QSC K crap and had their feelings hurt, or have never heard a professional audio speaker system. QSC K series (all of them) don't throw, are overpriced, lack intelligibility, and are harsh sounding (you'll have to EQ the crap out of them). They are relatively lightweight, compact, and have a decent warranty. You can get EV ELX 112-P or 115-P's for a fraction of the price and they sound much better!, in addition to being lightweight and a decent warranty. In fact, the EVs have gone up in price, while the QSC K series has dropped (what they are actually selling for, not retail). Both the EVs and QSC are consumer/"Guitar center"/ low budget speakers. However, why pay $5.00 for a McDouble?I feel your pain, QSC K series owners! All at once, say, "BAHHH!"
pdidy 7:05 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:

@ MTL18, sorry dude once you lose you credibility its gone forever.
Delete ya user name and come back as somebody else....lol
MTL18 7:12 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

@ MTL18, sorry dude once you lose you credibility its gone forever.
Delete ya user name and come back as somebody else....lol

OK, I'll get right on that, "Dude"!
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:41 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:

No, this user is trying to help people make informed decisions about the gear they purchase. And yes, I suggested buying "Chauvet lighting",, specifically for uplights.... IF somebody was on a budget and wanted to maximize their profits. Furthermore, I have read many posts on this thread regarding the size/weight of speakers and fitting them in their jeep, car, etc.. THERE IS NO SUBWOOFER THAT WILL FIT IN YOUR CAR THAT IS WORTH BUYING for professional audio! QSC DJ series (K) speakers are overpriced and do not sound good. QSC should had stuck to making power amps. They do that reasonably well. The posts above either came from "DJs" who wasted 100's of dollars on QSC K crap and had their feelings hurt, or have never heard a professional audio speaker system. QSC K series (all of them) don't throw, are overpriced, lack intelligibility, and are harsh sounding (you'll have to EQ the crap out of them). They are relatively lightweight, compact, and have a decent warranty. You can get EV ELX 112-P or 115-P's for a fraction of the price and they sound much better!, in addition to being lightweight and a decent warranty. In fact, the EVs have gone up in price, while the QSC K series has dropped (what they are actually selling for, not retail). Both the EVs and QSC are consumer/"Guitar center"/ low budget speakers. However, why pay $5.00 for a McDouble?I feel your pain, QSC K series owners! All at once, say, "BAHHH!"

Do you even begin to understand how silly you sound right now?
DjDizzyD 8:48 PM - 15 July, 2014
I own the JBL 715 & 718 sub and you can't find a better speaker system in my opinion! The quality of sound is amazing and the sub is crazy powerful!
Parker DJ Entertainment 4:13 AM - 24 August, 2014
Mike,
I have 2 Yamaha DXR 15s and 2 QSC Ksubs that I couple together. I play events between 50 and 500 people and I will tell you that they sound amazing. I had thought about going with the ETX speakers, but honestly, Put them side by side and for the money the ETX are not worth it. The only thing I might do different from mine is go with the KW181 subs. But always have 2.
Parker DJ Entertainment 4:15 AM - 24 August, 2014
The Yamahas in my opinion waste away the K 12 QSC speakers and are much more bang for your buck. Again that is my opinion. Everyone Hears sound differently. But as far as subs I would not trade my QSC subs for nothing
Tudor 8:49 AM - 24 August, 2014
So my old setup that i just recently sold consist of 2 yamaha dxr 12 and 2 qsc kw181. Every month i do an european night at a club here in seattle and i push the speakers pretty hard. quality wise they sounded real good together but i always had an issue where the limit light always come on on tops first and the subs right after. So i wanted to go with something a little louder and i went with 2 ev etx 35p and 2 ev etx 18sp. The sound on the 3way box is miles away from the yamaha speakers and the etx sub is probably close to twice as loud compared with the qsc 181. So with 2 subs and one top i did the party last week and not once did any limiter lights came on even when pushed louder then my old system. The only issues i have with them is the weight but besides that this speakers are perfect for the price they are. Best sound system money can buy for around $4000 brand new.
Tudor 8:49 AM - 24 August, 2014
So my old setup that i just recently sold consist of 2 yamaha dxr 12 and 2 qsc kw181. Every month i do an european night at a club here in seattle and i push the speakers pretty hard. quality wise they sounded real good together but i always had an issue where the limit light always come on on tops first and the subs right after. So i wanted to go with something a little louder and i went with 2 ev etx 35p and 2 ev etx 18sp. The sound on the 3way box is miles away from the yamaha speakers and the etx sub is probably close to twice as loud compared with the qsc 181. So with 2 subs and one top i did the party last week and not once did any limiter lights came on even when pushed louder then my old system. The only issues i have with them is the weight but besides that this speakers are perfect for the price they are. Best sound system money can buy for around $4000 brand new.
SG SOUNDS 12:33 PM - 24 August, 2014
Quote:

I agree with you on those 35p's they sound amazing. ..im using one top with 2 Yorkvilles ls800p per side...no limiting and plenty headroom. Im starting to think they could go on top of 3 ls800p with no problems...I've never received so many compliments from people and soundmen on how good and powerful my sound sounds now ever since I bought the EV's
Scully DJ Services 1:51 PM - 24 August, 2014
I agree with you on those 35p's they sound amazing. ..im using one top with 2 Yorkvilles ls800p per side...no limiting and plenty headroom. Im starting to think they could go on top of 3 ls800p with no problems...I've never received so many compliments from people and soundmen on how good and powerful my sound sounds now ever since I bought the EV's

2 subs per top??? Dang, that's crazy! Do you do live material or just pre recorded stuff?
SG SOUNDS 3:09 AM - 25 August, 2014
Quote:

2 subs per top??? Dang, that's crazy! Do you do live material or just pre recorded stuff?

pre recorded....reggae and soca music..
dj_soo 9:23 PM - 25 August, 2014
not just 2 subs per top - two of the most beastly subs in that price range per top.

Probably sounds banging with that setup...
MTBScab 5:16 PM - 24 October, 2014
Save your money and get a bigger vehicle.
DJ Savage916 5:49 PM - 24 October, 2014
I bet it sounds amazing! I have 2 of the ETX 15P with 3 ETX18SP and it sounds just perfect. 2 subs sounded ok but 3 just hits HARD!! Congrats on your setup!
pdidy 6:03 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
I bet it sounds amazing! I have 2 of the ETX 15P with 3 ETX18SP and it sounds just perfect. 2 subs sounded ok but 3 just hits HARD!! Congrats on your setup!

OK so you liked the 3rd sub, do you think a 4th is in your future ?
DJ Savage916 3:53 AM - 25 October, 2014
pdidy,
honestly I don't think I need it as far as balancing my sound but I have OCD when it comes to things not being in pairs, LOL. Yes I will buy a 4th! Going to focus a little on lighting though before I buy a fourth one. Going to buy a pair of Chauvet Intimidators 355Z IRC. You were right though about needing more subs to keep up with the ETX 15P's.
pdidy 4:30 AM - 25 October, 2014
Quote:
I have OCD when it comes to things not being in pairs, LOL. Yes I will buy a 4th!

im the same way so trust me i get it....lol
DJ Big T Silva 5:35 AM - 25 October, 2014
Has anyone heard the Yorkville Parasource 15's or powered subs in that line up? I would love to hear a review on them. They are a real worthy competitor to the EV ETX series which I heard in many combinations, and they are good, but for me leave more to be desired. Has anyone heard these?
pdidy 5:52 AM - 25 October, 2014
Quote:
They are a real worthy competitor to the EV ETX series which I heard in many combinations, and they are good, but for me leave more to be desired.

like what ?
DJ Big T Silva 6:15 AM - 25 October, 2014
The 15's have a great sound but lack more bass to do a gig solo with, even for 15's. I heard the whole ETX lineup this past weekend and it sounded good, but not amazing for all of the hyped reviews. My primary complaint was in the bass dept. The ETX 35P is very flat sounding, and I needed to move my low EV to full and bring my mids and highs all the way to 9 O clock to get them to have any descent bass. They need to be used with a subwoofer. I had Considered just getting 15's for tops I'd they had the power, clarity and bottom end to do the majority of my gigs with. They sound loud, but lack low end, like I said before, and almost need to be used with a sub like 18's. I the 15SP and it was accurate, but again lacking in bass. The 18SP had ample bass and headroom but was unable to accurately or cleaning produce running base cords, whereas the 15SP could do this very well, but simply was not powerful enough to balance the 15 tops in a medium to large sized room. I guess I was expecting more out of the ETX line for all the hype. They are a great choice for many, loaded with intuitive features, but I am talking about just the way it sounds. Loud does not always equal better without very accurate and clean reproduction of sound, in this case the low end. Based on my tests, which took most of the day in Sam Ash Music, I determined I was not amazed by them and I really wanted to be. I tested them with my DDJ-SZ and mixed right there in the store. I played the same track then several times with different configurations or tops and bottoms, as well as different EQs, from live to music, and factory, 100hz, and 80hz crossovers for the low end to try to get the right kind of bass sound I was looking for. I never really got there despite many tests most of the day. I will be looking at testing the entire Yorkville parasource line of speakers when I pay my credit card down. I want a new PA system and if the Yorkvilles don't do it, then I will wait for NAMM 2015!! Something tells me QSC is going to fire back at EV with a new line of powerful speakers to compete with the ETX speakers!! :)
pdidy 6:48 AM - 25 October, 2014
So what speakers have you owned that met your expectations and outperformed the EXT ?
pdidy 7:04 AM - 25 October, 2014
Quote:
Based on my tests, which took most of the day in Sam Ash Music, I determined I was not amazed by them and I really wanted to be.

I have NEVER been amazed be mid level speakers that can be easily had by anyone at your local Sam Ash or GC ect.....The first time I was truly impressed by a speaker was the
EV ZXA5 so you may want to start there. Now if you really want to be amazed by a speaker start spending about $3000 + per speaker, thats were the real fun begins.....
pdidy 7:29 AM - 25 October, 2014
Quote:
I played the same track then several times with different configurations or tops and bottoms, as well as different EQs, from live to music, and factory, 100hz, and 80hz crossovers for the low end to try to get the right kind of bass sound I was looking for. I never really got there despite many tests most of the day.

Well it seems the EXT has a bit of a learning curve where as even experienced users could not figure out how to properly configure them resulting in unimpressive results similar to your findings, it was later determined to be basic user error. Theres also the possibility of "room modes" affecting the sound quality at your place of testing......or maybe you just dont like them, its possible.
rayjthedj 11:33 AM - 25 October, 2014
If you get the sound quality you want but not the output it is very simple:

You take the four you have and cluster them, if you already did that
You add a boundary layer or two, if you already did that or can't do that
You add more of the same subs

ETX is upper mid level products, yet they have excellent amps, drivers and DSP and are made for mid level live sound and DJ applications. They are not concert level or large club level. They can cover large clubs but you have to use enough speakers to meet the DB level desired and room size.

It does not surprise me that four ETX15SPs will not keep up with two of the ETX15Ps (used as tops), because my four ETX15SP subs have there tongues hanging out to keep up with my two ETX12Ps. If you want low, driving bass, it takes four ETX18SPs to keep up with a pair of ETX15P tops.
DJ Savage916 9:10 PM - 1 November, 2014
Quote:

If you want low, driving bass, it takes four ETX18SPs to keep up with a pair of ETX15P tops.

+1 I have 3 ETX18SPs with 2 ETX15P and I will be buying my fourth in a few months. You NEED at least 3 of the 18s to have a balanced sound. I am very impressed with the sound of my bottom end. I really don't how much more bass you would want.
DJEASY 1:51 AM - 17 December, 2014
hi!! DJ Savage916 so with 4x18 subs and 2x15 tops ETX would be good for what size room or how many people?
DJEASY 1:53 AM - 17 December, 2014
is not worth to get the 35p the 3 way cabs if these 15 could keep up with 2x18s ETX DJ Savage916
DJEASY 1:53 AM - 17 December, 2014
i mean 2x18s and 1 15p per side
pdidy 2:15 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
hi!! DJ Savage916 so with 4x18 subs and 2x15 tops ETX would be good for what size room or how many people?

A venue capable of 200-400 people.
Quote:
is not worth to get the 35p the 3 way cabs if these 15 could keep up with 2x18s ETX DJ Savage916

If you can afford it and don't mind the extra weight then why not get the better speaker ?
DJEASY 2:27 AM - 17 December, 2014
but will i get a much difference in sound as i never used 3 way speakers with subs weight not that bad since i deal with this weight now
SG SOUNDS 2:39 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
but will i get a much difference in sound as i never used 3 way speakers with subs weight not that bad since i deal with this weight now

A 3-way will always sound better than a 2-way top..The ETX 35-p over 18 inch subs will give a complete full sound that no 2-way can achieve..
pdidy 3:05 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

A 3-way will always sound better than a 2-way top..The ETX 35-p over 18 inch subs will give a complete full sound that no 2-way can achieve..

like he said, 3 way is better. The question is, is it worth it to YOU ? only you can decide.
DJEASY 3:34 AM - 17 December, 2014
thank you guys will go with the etx 35p
SG SOUNDS 4:40 AM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:

They can hang with 4-6 subs easily. .I run mines with 4 Yorkville ls800p...sound is amazing and chest thumping. ..however im looking to upgrade my subs to the danleys or orbit shifters..
DJ GaFFle 1:31 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

They can hang with 4-6 subs easily. .I run mines with 4 Yorkville ls800p...sound is amazing and chest thumping. ..however im looking to upgrade my subs to the danleys or orbit shifters..

LoL... so you scratched the LS2100P off your list?
SG SOUNDS 5:30 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LoL... so you scratched the LS2100P off your list?

Yes from what im reading they dont go as low as the danleys or the orbit shifters. ...have you heard them?
DJ GaFFle 6:16 PM - 17 December, 2014
I've heard them but of course, didn't have my TH-118's to compare them to. I will say they soundly stomped the ETX118P's onsite. Compared to the ETX 18" sub, the 2100P just sounded way deeper and more full down low. (no diss on the ETX's)
SG SOUNDS 8:20 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
I've heard them but of course, didn't have my TH-118's to compare them to. I will say they soundly stomped the ETX118P's onsite. Compared to the ETX 18" sub, the 2100P just sounded way deeper and more full down low. (no diss on the ETX's)

Ok..not getting a lot of info online about them so i just broke it down between the danleys or the orbit shifters....would be alot cheaper going the 2100p route but need more info on them..Love my ls800p its just that boom i wish was more tighter..know what i mean?
djattila 8:22 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ok..not getting a lot of info online about them so i just broke it down between the danleys or the orbit shifters....would be alot cheaper going the 2100p route but need more info on them..Love my ls800p its just that boom i wish was more tighter..know what i mean?

How about getting an 32 band eq and brining Down the 80hz down a tad ???
DJ GaFFle 11:01 PM - 17 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That or a PEQ is a good option. PDidy used both the LS800P's and 2100P's for a while so I'm guessing he could give some comments.
pdidy 1:18 AM - 18 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That or a PEQ is a good option. PDidy used both the LS800P's and 2100P's for a while so I'm guessing he could give some comments.

As mastermind aka blackone aka djattila stated, Yes the yorkville can be eq'd in the 80hz about 3-6db down to give it a more musical tone. A lil experimentation is all it takes to find the sweet spot. But if the 2100P is an option and weight is not an issue, its clearly the better sub out the box.
DJ Tecniq 8:44 AM - 22 January, 2015
Read the review they ain't poppin for this dude..or should i say yes lol
www.pssl.com

What can't be denied is I've heard of older models overheating/clipping too fast. Not sounding to promising considering the price point on these fuckin things. just saying.
DJ Tecniq 8:58 AM - 22 January, 2015
Just read it - forums.prosoundweb.com
Rebelguy 2:09 PM - 22 January, 2015
Sounds like they just caught a few bad units. They are from a whole new line that just launched last year. I am sure they will have things ironed out shortly. Plus they didn't seem to have any problems using their warranty.
Joerocket9999 2:19 AM - 8 October, 2015
Jbl SRX 835's with a single SRX828 (dual 18" 2000peak 141db) plus inet control. Using that gear for our band and it is phenomenal. Outdoor gigs only require the second 828. Keep in mind, one of the biggest mistakes people make is sub placement. Research cardioid pattern and rapid fire pattern for subs and increase your clarity, reduce hot spots and dips and gain up to 9db just from placement. Gain 3db from a floor, 3db from a wall and another 3db from another wall. Research and experiment placement before you replace gear. You'll be surprised.
pdidy 3:22 AM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Jbl SRX 835's with a single SRX828 (dual 18" 2000peak 141db) plus inet control. Using that gear for our band and it is phenomenal. Outdoor gigs only require the second 828. Keep in mind, one of the biggest mistakes people make is sub placement. Research cardioid pattern and rapid fire pattern for subs and increase your clarity, reduce hot spots and dips and gain up to 9db just from placement. Gain 3db from a floor, 3db from a wall and another 3db from another wall. Research and experiment placement before you replace gear. You'll be surprised.

so were are the pictures ?
Joerocket9999 9:47 AM - 8 October, 2015
How do you post pictures on here?
Joerocket9999 10:02 AM - 8 October, 2015
Picture of practice space is cutoff. Sub is in the right corner. Just bought 4 eon612's for monitors. Running a Mackie dl1608 and drive rack.

bobmccarthy.wordpress.com
pdidy 5:03 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
How do you post pictures on here?

s147.photobucket.com
SELECT 8:50 PM - 8 October, 2015
I got to hear two JBL SRX 815p 15" tops & 2 SRX 818sp 18" subs at a Wedding I did recently. The band who came on before me had them. When I came time for my set with my two etx 12p and one 15p sub I was outgunned, obviously. It became apparent that I need some SRX in my life lol. Seriously they sounded twice as loud as mine and I then asked to plug into their sound because my speakers didnt have the same bump. The crowd wanted me to turn up the sound, but I couldnt compete with the band setup. It was for a massive 500+ wedding at that. One thing I will say is the tops can definitely handle bigger crowds. The subs sounded great, but I didnt care for the size, they were much larger than I thought they would be. Im seriously considering the SRX tops now.
pdidy 9:06 PM - 8 October, 2015
Wait a minute, when did you downsize from your passive srx700 series ?

Is the New srx800 equivalent or better than the srx700 ?
Joerocket9999 10:19 PM - 8 October, 2015
Never had passive speakers. But, the srx 835's (not 815) are incredible!
pdidy 10:25 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
Never had passive speakers. But, the srx 835's (not 815) are incredible!

Not you, I was talking to SELECT.

Where the pics at, how you in a band with no pics and videos ?...lol
Rebelguy 10:44 PM - 8 October, 2015
Quote:
I got to hear two JBL SRX 815p 15" tops & 2 SRX 818sp 18" subs at a Wedding I did recently. The band who came on before me had them. When I came time for my set with my two etx 12p and one 15p sub I was outgunned, obviously. It became apparent that I need some SRX in my life lol. Seriously they sounded twice as loud as mine and I then asked to plug into their sound because my speakers didnt have the same bump. The crowd wanted me to turn up the sound, but I couldnt compete with the band setup. It was for a massive 500+ wedding at that. One thing I will say is the tops can definitely handle bigger crowds. The subs sounded great, but I didnt care for the size, they were much larger than I thought they would be. Im seriously considering the SRX tops now.

I keep hearing that the SRX800 series is not that great for smaller rooms but as you start to turn them up for bigger crowds they sound incredible. Guess it just depends on your needs. The cabinets are pretty damn big. I was almost sold on the 812 until I compared them to my current cabinets. I am trying to go smaller and lighter and this would not be them. haha.
pdidy 10:45 PM - 8 October, 2015
@Joerocket9999
Quote:
Jbl SRX 835's with a single SRX828 (dual 18" 2000peak 141db) plus inet control.

how many of each do you own ?
Joerocket9999 1:15 AM - 9 October, 2015
My bad, didn't see that. 2 835's and 2 828's. Absolutely love the rig in your pic. i would love to go with Vrx but I've spent enough on drum gear. The spending never seems to end. Pdidy, have you tried the same sub set up but spacing them 2' apart? I do have pics and a couple videos, but not sure how to get that on here. Starting another band covering one hit wonders.
pdidy 1:33 AM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Absolutely love the rig in your pic.

thanks
Quote:
Pdidy, have you tried the same sub set up but spacing them 2' apart?

No, what would be the benefits ?

Quote:
I do have pics and a couple videos, but not sure how to get that on here.

simply upload them to photobucket.com and post the link here like this
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
Joerocket9999 1:45 AM - 9 October, 2015
If you get a chance, read this article. Pretty insightful as to sound reinforcement and boundary and placement effects.

www.fohonline.com
Joerocket9999 1:52 AM - 9 October, 2015
Scully DJ Services 1:58 AM - 9 October, 2015
Ooh off topic but those drums look incredible! Also, is that a Ludwig Acrolite snare?
pdidy 1:59 AM - 9 October, 2015
Thanks but I was hoping to see clear shots of 2 835's and 2 828. The pics are too dark but I think I only see 2 835's....
Joerocket9999 2:56 AM - 9 October, 2015
Nothing better at this point. Sub in far right back corner. Will get better pics eventually
Joerocket9999 2:57 AM - 9 October, 2015
Sully, thanks. And yes it is. 1968 model
SELECT 2:43 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:

I sold my setup a few years back, Ive been rocking with EV ETX for a while now. I sold the passive SRX setup cause it was a lot of work setting up and breaking down. Plus I had three amps extra to deal with. Now I finally get to hear the powered SRX and Im impressed by their output.

The band went on first and sounded great. Mind you we were all on a stage behind/away from the speakers. When my turn came I cranked up my ETX and couldnt compete with the SRX. The band was way louder than me. They kept asking me to turn up my sound, but I couldnt. Two songs in I asked the band if I could plug into their mixer board and sound. They were cool with it so I quickly plugged in and right away I could tell how much louder the SRX were. I mixed hard for 2 hours straight and then broke down quickly at the end of the night. I didnt get a chance to take any vids from the crowd. Again from behind the speakers my ETX 12p were no match the 15 inch SRX. The subs sounded great too, but I never really got to hear them from in front. All I know is the whole SRX line bumps and can get pretty loud. The cabinets are fairly large, but are average weight compared to their counterparts.
JDforKing 3:32 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I sold my setup a few years back, Ive been rocking with EV ETX for a while now. I sold the passive SRX setup cause it was a lot of work setting up and breaking down. Plus I had three amps extra to deal with. Now I finally get to hear the powered SRX and Im impressed by their output.

The band went on first and sounded great. Mind you we were all on a stage behind/away from the speakers. When my turn came I cranked up my ETX and couldnt compete with the SRX. The band was way louder than me. They kept asking me to turn up my sound, but I couldnt. Two songs in I asked the band if I could plug into their mixer board and sound. They were cool with it so I quickly plugged in and right away I could tell how much louder the SRX were. I mixed hard for 2 hours straight and then broke down quickly at the end of the night. I didnt get a chance to take any vids from the crowd. Again from behind the speakers my ETX 12p were no match the 15 inch SRX. The subs sounded great too, but I never really got to hear them from in front. All I know is the whole SRX line bumps and can get pretty loud. The cabinets are fairly large, but are average weight compared to their counterparts.

I don't understand how you compare your 2 12s and a single 15 sub to a system that consist of 2 15s and 2 18 inch subs. That's not really an apple to apple comparison. I'm sure if you had 2 ev etx15p and 2 ev etx18sp you wouldn't feel as bad about your system.
SELECT 3:49 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't understand how you compare your 2 12s and a single 15 sub to a system that consist of 2 15s and 2 18 inch subs. That's not really an apple to apple comparison. I'm sure if you had 2 ev etx15p and 2 ev etx18sp you wouldn't feel as bad about your system.

The tops were what impressed me the most. Im debating still whether I need them or not. That was a 500+ Wedding and frankly most of mine are under 200 people. I also am looking at RCF stuff, mainly the EVOX line because of their portability.
Joee 4:11 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:
The tops were what impressed me the most. Im debating still whether I need them or not. That was a 500+ Wedding and frankly most of mine are under 200 people. I also am looking at RCF stuff, mainly the EVOX line because of their portability.

have you ever listen to a pair of ZXA5? sound like you need a pair in you're life….lol
DJ GaFFle 10:29 PM - 9 October, 2015
Quote:

That's what happens when you buy a line of tops with 3" high drivers compared to some with 1.25" drivers.
SELECT 5:16 PM - 10 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

That's what happens when you buy a line of tops with 3" high drivers compared to some with 1.25" drivers.

Yeah man, it really made me miss my old SRX setup. Those drivers are the truth.
DJ Guayo 12:12 AM - 12 October, 2015
I had a gig with my rcf gear HD32a (2) and 8004 (2) and the band ran qsc kw153s and qsc kw181s.

The first thing I noticed were the vocals being so much clearer on my setup. He sound carried well and much more crisp. The band was obviously louder with instruments and four monitors on the stage.

The sound guy had the digital mixer with iPad that was pretty dope. He was able to make adjustments while standing in front of the setup on the go.

The bass on the QSC sub was no match for the RCFs. I wasn't able to center cluster because of the setup.

Below are some pics of the setup and a dope floating cake.

www.flickr.com
benictrs 10:57 PM - 14 October, 2015
Same here , super pleased with my system . I have the same setup with DJ Guayo 2x RCF HD32A + 2x RCF 8004AS and it put's everything else i heard to shame .
DJ GaFFle 12:25 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Same here , super pleased with my system . I have the same setup with DJ Guayo 2x RCF HD32A + 2x RCF 8004AS and it put's everything else i heard to shame .

I keep trying to steer dudes down that RCF8004 path but they're a'fret of that 114 lb. sub weight and the $2000 entry fee.
Joee 12:41 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
I keep trying to steer dudes down that RCF8004 path but they're a'fret of that 114 lb. sub weight and the $2000 entry fee.

i was going to buy it, but

Quote:
114 lb

made me think again …….lol
pdidy 12:43 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com
Joee 11:31 AM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com

haha

i do have a checking & a savings tho……..haha
SG SOUNDS 1:29 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I was going to buy it but my yorkies threatening me at gun point...
SG SOUNDS 1:30 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

But on the real though trying to save up for 4 danleys
DJ GaFFle 2:24 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJ GaFFle 2:24 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Get some DJ liability insurance. Just two of them will have ceiling fixtures falling.
SELECT 2:55 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
114 lb

I just got a new van for my gigs so I'm now looking for a bigger sound setup.

So the RCF8004 has better output than an Yorkville sub? The RCF weighs less so I'm no considering it.
SELECT 2:57 PM - 15 October, 2015
So this setup is better than a yorkville setup for example? Watchwww.youtube.com
SELECT 3:08 PM - 15 October, 2015
What would you choose below for a new system? Sorry guys I just can't decide and I have no clue of how the RCF sound. I know the SRX and Yorkies bump, but for sure I like the bass output of the yorkville more. The SRX would be lighter however. The RCF from what I keep hearing sound impressive.

2 JBL SRX 15 tops and 18 subs
2 RCF 15 tops and 18 subs
2 Yorkville 15 tops and 18 subs
DJ Guayo 3:34 PM - 15 October, 2015
Select,

I take it you want the flexibility of being able to play the 15s standalone or combined with subs. RCF has the 745s available as well. I think desmorider has them on the forum. Which yorkville series are you looking at for tops and subs? DXR series?
Joee 3:39 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Select,

I take it you want the flexibility of being able to play the 15s standalone or combined with subs. RCF has the 745s available as well. I think desmorider has them on the forum. Which yorkville series are you looking at for tops and subs? DXR series?

that 745 with 8004 will make one sweet sounding system

don't forget about the nx24 www.rcf.it

for one sexy looking sound system s26.photobucket.com
DJ GaFFle 3:44 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
What would you choose below for a new system? Sorry guys I just can't decide and I have no clue of how the RCF sound. I know the SRX and Yorkies bump, but for sure I like the bass output of the yorkville more. The SRX would be lighter however. The RCF from what I keep hearing sound impressive.

2 JBL SRX 15 tops and 18 subs
2 RCF 15 tops and 18 subs
2 Yorkville 15 tops and 18 subs

Out of these, I would probably go the RCF route (RCF 15" tops + 8004AS subs). Right up there, the SRX's would be a no brainer too. The Yorkvilles would be my last choice due to the size/girth of the subs and their lack of sub-like sound quality; they just don't sound musical.

Quote:
So the RCF8004 has better output than an Yorkville sub? The RCF weighs less so I'm no considering it.

Better sounding... yes, I'm sure. They're gonna be more musical and go A LOT lower than the LS801P. Per the specs, they're louder than most any normal powered 18" sub out there (SRX, PRX, KW, VRX, ETX). Only the new Yamaha DXR18 seems to be on its level.

Louder output... no. The Yorks are very hot at a certain frequency range and this is what gives them their legendary status, plus their ability to perceptibly throw the bass response. They make typical 18" subs sound anemic but once (or if) you tame that hot response point (80Hz I think) with DSP, pEQ or EQ, it probably evens the playing field on their overall output. You gotta remember, they don't go low. The 8004AS goes down to 30Hz and the LS801P only goes to 45Hz. That's not very deep.
DJ GaFFle 3:46 PM - 15 October, 2015
I personally spoke to this guy about his NXL24A's. He raved about them: Watchwww.youtube.com

His overall system seems sick.
DJ GaFFle 3:50 PM - 15 October, 2015
Check how slim these subs look along with the tops. These subs take up less space than typical 18's, yet they're still spec'd louder: Watchwww.youtube.com
SELECT 4:07 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Select,

Yes that is why I want 15 inch tops. Ive now narrowed it down to RCF or SRX so Im gonna pass on the Yorkies.
Quote:
Quote:
Select,

Yup, guys I took at look at those NXL24A's and went WOW, PERFECT!!! Then I seen the price tag for the tops and went... :( Way more than I need to spend. You guys got me really into looking at the 745's though. They are up there so I would sell my current setup and start with just two and then add the sub later. I just wonder how good they are alone.
SELECT 4:08 PM - 15 October, 2015
Thanks for the advice Gaffle, the RCF def go lower than the Yorkies!
Rebelguy 4:17 PM - 15 October, 2015
And if you want to really take things over the top you could always wait for the NXL44As to be released.

youtu.be

www.fohonline.com

They look like there are going to be pretty insane.
SG SOUNDS 4:52 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
114 lb

I just got a new van for my gigs so I'm now looking for a bigger sound setup.

better output than the yorkies? hell no yorkies wins in that department...the rcf wins in sound quality...the yorkies can sound almost as good with a little tweaking with a 31 band eq...it tightens up the yorkies very nicely...
Taipanic 5:00 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
And if you want to really take things over the top you could always wait for the NXL44As to be released.

youtu.be

www.fohonline.com

I think I'm going to be moving in a different direction. Smiliar concept, smaller box, true 3 way, 2000 watt program:
jtrspeakers.com
Lately I'm thinking going for a full JTR setup - 2 Noesis 3TX 90 degree spec, 2 powered Orbit Shifters, & 2 Growlers for smaller gigs. The SQ is there and would come in probably $4-6k under a similar Danley setup.
Probably will put the ZXa5s & LS800p up for sale in the next few months to offset the cost.
DJ Guayo 6:06 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:

youtu.be

www.fohonline.com

Oh snap!!! i thought a house a money pit... You just have to know when to say no to new gear. i'm looking at some moving heads and totems... lol
Taipanic 6:18 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Oh snap!!! i thought a house a money pit... You just have to know when to say no to new gear. i'm looking at some moving heads and totems... lol

LOL, for sure! Real Sound guys don't even blink at $50k "starter" rigs, bigger than most DJ dream systems. I read of dudes running bar cover bands with 6-8 Danley subs & 4 tops + all the monitors & instrument amps.
Joee 7:02 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Select,

Yes that is why I want 15 inch tops. Ive now narrowed it down to RCF or SRX so Im gonna pass on the Yorkies.
Quote:
Quote:
Select,

Yup, guys I took at look at those NXL24A's and went WOW, PERFECT!!! Then I seen the price tag for the tops and went... :( Way more than I need to spend. You guys got me really into looking at the 745's though. They are up there so I would sell my current setup and start with just two and then add the sub later. I just wonder how good they are alone.

two 8004 & two nxl24 will run you about $7k the 745 can be found for $1,200
Rebelguy 7:13 PM - 15 October, 2015
The nxl24 can be found for around $1400. I would probably pay the extra just for the coolness factor and the Powercon plugs.
SELECT 7:37 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
The nxl24 can be found for around $1400. I would probably pay the extra just for the coolness factor and the Powercon plugs.

I haven't seen them for less than $2400.00 each?
SELECT 7:43 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
two 8004 & two nxl24 will run you about $7k the 745 can be found for $1,200

Wow thats alot of cash, but I'm now really looking for these. Seems like Im getting all different prices for the those tops and subs? Ideally I'd like to be in the 4-5k range for my next system. Im itching to put them on my credit card, damn.
Joee 7:50 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Wow thats alot of cash, but I'm now really looking for these. Seems like Im getting all different prices for the those tops and subs? Ideally I'd like to be in the 4-5k range for my next system. Im itching to put them on my credit card, damn.

right in your 4/5k price point you can get

x 1 www.rcf.it

& take your pic on tops

x 2 www.rcf.it or x 2 www.rcf.it
SELECT 8:11 PM - 15 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

right in your 4/5k price point you can get

x 1 www.rcf.it

& take your pic on tops

x 2 www.rcf.it or x 2 www.rcf.it

Yeah this could possibly be my next setup!
Rebelguy 10:02 PM - 15 October, 2015
Here's some feedback on the 8004 from the sound reinforcement world...

forums.prosoundweb.com
SELECT 2:13 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Here's some feedback on the 8004 from the sound reinforcement world...

forums.prosoundweb.com

I like it. I'm going to put up my current setup for sale after my next two gigs and getting one.
SELECT 2:20 PM - 16 October, 2015
I see it has a powercon plug. Has that given you any issues plugging to venues? Do you need some type of power distributor?
DJ Guayo 2:38 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I see it has a powercon plug. Has that given you any issues plugging to venues? Do you need some type of power distributor?

Not really. You will need to make sure to have the Edison type plug on your powercon cable. Ideally venues would have the 20 amp outlet (NEMA 5-20) but we know how that goes. They have the 20 amp wiring but for whatever reason they don't have the 20 amp plug.

Make sure to ask the vendor to provide the NEMA 5-15 (Edison cable) along with the NEMA 5-20 (20 amp) cable.
Joee 2:39 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:

none what so ever ,just imagine a speakon wire converted to a power wire…..only issue you will have is if you forget to bring your power plug

Quote:
I like it. I'm going to put up my current setup for sale after my next two gigs and getting one.

does this have anything to do with the bands jbl system outperforming yours?…..lol, i thought you loved then etx's

one 8004 and two art 732 would be a good upgrade
SELECT 2:54 PM - 16 October, 2015
Ok good to know about the plugs! I thought it would be a hassle plugging in.

Quote:
Quote:

none what so ever ,just imagine a speakon wire converted to a power wire…..only issue you will have is if you forget to bring your power plug

Quote:

does this have anything to do with the bands jbl system outperforming yours?…..lol, i thought you loved then etx's

one 8004 and two art 732 would be a good upgrade
SELECT 2:59 PM - 16 October, 2015
Doh, posted to soon.. Joee yup thats absolutely it. My ETX setup is the perfect Wedding system for 99% of the gigs Im doing and overkill for some, but I want bigger sound now. I downsized from my old SRX setup and want that level again. Plus I'd rather also have two 15in tops so I can leave the sub at home for some of my events.
Joee 3:05 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Doh, posted to soon.. Joee yup thats absolutely it. My ETX setup is the perfect Wedding system for 99% of the gigs Im doing and overkill for some, but I want bigger sound now. I downsized from my old SRX setup and want that level again. Plus I'd rather also have two 15in tops so I can leave the sub at home for some of my events.

you never thought of just adding to your current setup? this way you have a big system & a little system?

add one speaker @ a time etx15p's & etx18s'sp?

that rcf system you are looking @ is beast tho & the 4" horn in the 745 should have outperformed the bands jbls 3" horns
SELECT 3:24 PM - 16 October, 2015
I thought of that, but I dont have the space for it at home and would rather use the cash from the sale of them for a better system. Ideally an entire SRX system would make me happy, but the RCF seems seems like the top choice even though its a bit more expensive.
Joee 3:35 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I thought of that, but I dont have the space for it at home and would rather use the cash from the sale of them for a better system. Ideally an entire SRX system would make me happy, but the RCF seems seems like the top choice even though its a bit more expensive.

i used to use ev exclusively , than i got my first pair of rcf's & haven't looked back

my first rcf setup
imageshack.com

my second
imageshack.com

my third
imageshack.com

& my fourth on the right
s1285.photobucket.com

i might get some 8004 / nxl24 eventually to have the big daddy system to the evox 8 & 12
JDforKing 4:09 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

i used to use ev exclusively , than i got my first pair of rcf's & haven't looked back

my first rcf setup
imageshack.com

my second
imageshack.com

my third
imageshack.com

& my fourth on the right
s1285.photobucket.com

i might get some 8004 / nxl24 eventually to have the big daddy system to the evox 8 & 12

Joee do you still have the rcf fd12a system with the 905as?
Joee 4:13 PM - 16 October, 2015
gone just evox 8's & the one evox 12 ,will be getting my second 12 soon
Rebelguy 4:54 PM - 16 October, 2015
RCF seems to have a bit of overlap in their product lines. The 732A and the HD32A have the same internal components but different cabs. I guess the HDs are geared more towards production and rental companies but still weird that they are basically the same product.
JDforKing 5:02 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
RCF seems to have a bit of overlap in their product lines. The 732A and the HD32A have the same internal components but different cabs. I guess the HDs are geared more towards production and rental companies but still weird that they are basically the same product.

I agree the rcf fd12a has the same components as the rcf art 312a mkiii. The fd12a comes in the same cab as the hd12a and hd32a.
JDforKing 5:09 PM - 16 October, 2015
I just purchased a pair of rcf fd12as because they have better bass response than my yamaha dxr12s when used as a standalone. I got the first one used in mint condition for $300 shipped and the second new for $444. $850 isn't bad for a back up pair of speakers and covers.
Joee 5:17 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
I agree the rcf fd12a has the same components as the rcf art 312a mkiii. The fd12a comes in the same cab as the hd12a and hd32a.

along with the evox 8 & 12 sharing the same amp, i'm pretty sure it's also shared with the sub 705 & 708-as

Quote:
I just purchased a pair of rcf fd12as because they have better bass response

crazy wasn't it, the way the 12" basses
JDforKing 5:51 PM - 16 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

along with the evox 8 & 12 sharing the same amp, i'm pretty sure it's also shared with the sub 705 & 708-as

Quote:
I just purchased a pair of rcf fd12as because they have better bass response

crazy wasn't it, the way the 12" basses

The bass response has everything to do with the size of the cab. The cab size is definitely closer to a 15 speaker than a 12. Reminds me of the original srm450s. For the longest time i thought that speaker was a 15. This is why i opted to grab a pair of rcf fd12as rather than buy an inexpensive pair of 15s like the yamaha dbr15.
desmorider 2:48 AM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:

What up Select? What setting are you running that etx sub on? Most guys that have the etx subs say that the dsp setting on the subs make a huge difference. I think most recommendd running them in live mode. I'm sure you have tried different settings, just wanted to put this out there. Also I think that an apples to apples comparison to the srx system you speak on above woould have to be 2-etx15p and 2-etx18sp, and the ev's would have done alot better.
desmorider 3:22 AM - 18 October, 2015
I decided to stop by Chuck Levins on my way home from nyc today. I was hoping to get to demo the new dxs18 joee speaks so highly of, and some of the new rcf subs(8003mkII,etc). They didn't have any new shit in stock. Oh well got to have interesting conversation with a few customers, and a couple of sales guys. When I walked in two dj partners were listening to an ls801p. They were telling the sales guy that they wanted to possibly go with 2-ls801p's, and 2-ls2100p's to replace 4-etx18sp's that they currently use with etx15p's. No 2100's on display today. I started talking to one of the guys and he advised that they owned the two tops and four subs, and had a buddy with two more etx18sp's that they borrowed at times, however they were not satisfied with their lowend performance. He stated that the sound quality was on point. When I asked what material he mostly played he advised r&b, go-go,rap, and reggae, and wasn't getting the building shaking bass, and club level bass he was use to. I suggested that he would probably need 8-10 of those subs to get him where he wanted to be bass wise if in a large building. I also think that some people don't quite understand all the dsp settings on the etx subs. Also the etx line seems to have an early pre-clip indicator and alot of guys back off at that point.

I also asked two sales guys if they had been selling many of the rcf art745a's, and they both advised that they are selling a bunch of them, and said that nothing compares to them in that price range. They can be had between $1200-$1300. I asked "what about the zxa5, it gets loud as shit?" They stated "no comparison, the 745 is louder, and nothing in the price range touches its high freq driver".

They also stated that alot of guys are having problems(user error) with the zxa5, but we know that's not the speakers fault, but the guys owning them and not knowing how to use the unprotected speaker.

Speakers are so subjective, and the consumer really needs to get out there and demo them, what one person loves, the other might hate. The good thing for the consumer at this time, is that it is hard to make a bad move. A bunch of good quality shit out there right now.
SG SOUNDS 2:55 PM - 18 October, 2015
Quote:
I decided to stop by Chuck Levins on my way home from nyc today. I was hoping to get to demo the new dxs18 joee speaks so highly of, and some of the new rcf subs(8003mkII,etc). They didn't have any new shit in stock. Oh well got to have interesting conversation with a few customers, and a couple of sales guys. When I walked in two dj partners were listening to an ls801p. They were telling the sales guy that they wanted to possibly go with 2-ls801p's, and 2-ls2100p's to replace 4-etx18sp's that they currently use with etx15p's. No 2100's on display today. I started talking to one of the guys and he advised that they owned the two tops and four subs, and had a buddy with two more etx18sp's that they borrowed at times, however they were not satisfied with their lowend performance. He stated that the sound quality was on point. When I asked what material he mostly played he advised r&b, go-go,rap, and reggae, and wasn't getting the building shaking bass, and club level bass he was use to. I suggested that he would probably need 8-10 of those subs to get him where he wanted to be bass wise if in a large building. I also think that some people don't quite understand all the dsp settings on the etx subs. Also the etx line seems to have an early pre-clip indicator and alot of guys back off at that point.

I also asked two sales guys if they had been selling many of the rcf art745a's, and they both advised that they are selling a bunch of them, and said that nothing compares to them in that price range. They can be had between $1200-$1300. I asked "what about the zxa5, it gets loud as shit?" They stated "no comparison, the 745 is louder, and nothing in the price range touches its high freq driver".

They also stated that alot of guys are having problems(user error) with the zxa5, but we know that's not the speakers fault, but the guys owning them and not knowing how to use the unprotected speaker.

Speakers are so subjective, and the consumer really needs to get out there and demo them, what one person loves, the other might hate. The good thing for the consumer at this time, is that it is hard to make a bad move. A bunch of good quality shit out there right now.

So true about the ls800p ive tried hard to part with my yorkies but the etx subs ect just dont hit hard like the yorkies...the etx,rcf ect may all go lower than the yorkies but in real world situations im they just dont hit as hard as the yorkies..i was looking at the rcf 8004 and heard them to side by side with the yorkies and yet still in my opinion they not hitting the reggae dancehall tunes and soca as hard as the yorkies...so ive decided to keep my yorkies and save for the danleys...those danley speakers are in a diffrent league that all other brands mentioned..
Taipanic 5:44 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
...so ive decided to keep my yorkies and save for the danleys...those danley speakers are in a diffrent league that all other brands mentioned..

Also check out the JTR Orbit Shifters. Fairly comparable to the Danley TH-118s and about 2/3 the price. I think the powered version would come in $1500-2k lower per box. 2 OS's and 4 Growlers would put out some serious, quality, full range bass.
I've also heard good things about Bass Boss but haven't heard them personally.
pdidy 4:21 AM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:

where did you get that price from ?