DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Seriously unhappy with the Rane Sixty Two mixer.

Jed 104 7:12 PM - 13 February, 2014
I didn't want to start a gripe post here but I'm genuinely unhappy with my mixer. After 13 months of use one of the cue buttons has dropped down into the mixer. I'm no tone play button basher but it has been used solidly at gigs for about 10 hours a week.

How has it become acceptable to charge £1800 for a mixer and not have a solid dependable build? When you pay that much is it not natural to expect only the the best?

I've read other posts on this happening and the answer is usually 'send it in for warranty repair and they'll put stronger buttons in it'. My question is why are there not stronger buttons in it in the first place, especially when I spent all that money?

I also owned a TTM57SL and I was lucky to get the second edition because my friends informed me the first one (retailing at £1000 at the time) had weaker pots and buttons which had bust on them. So there seems to be a pattern.

Now as a professional DJ I have to face a wait of between 4 and 5 weeks before I get my mixer back. I'm not posting because I'm bitter about the wait there are people with worse problems in life. I'm posting because it's just not good enough in this price bracket.

I do love using Rane and Serato but I'll be looking at alternatives now until I hear that they have made a solid mixer. I can't afford to be left without a decent mixer for a month again.
raequan 8:36 PM - 13 February, 2014
a pro dj without a back up mixer?

i have a 62 and 3 back ups..... s*&^% happens ..... that why i dont rely on just one thing
Jed 104 9:01 PM - 13 February, 2014
I said decent mixer not no mixer. I'm a bit older so come from a time when you get quality when you pay for it. Besides other DJs might not be able to afford 4 mixers after buying this one
SELECT 9:02 PM - 13 February, 2014
First of all, Rane has the BEST customer service. They will fix it FREE of charge as long is its under warranty. Instead of the rant on the Serato forum you should have called them and setup a repair. The faster you ship it, the faster you get it back. Mine took less than a week to get fixed I believe. I got the new buttons and couldn't be happier.
raequan 9:39 PM - 13 February, 2014
you said your a professional..... so a professional has tools to do the job set forth to them.

so if your hard drive crashes you dont have a back up.

your lappy decides to take a vacation an does not want to turn on.

your headphone cord gets ripped.

this isnt about the rane mixer its about you as a professional and being one.

i get paid to do a job... you and i and every other pro wants to get the job done without a hitch

if my 62 crashes i can rockout on a djay app with my toons. no one will know the difference since were playing someone else's music.

its how we deliver it doesnt matter if the 62 or djm or a denon.

do you think the crowd will get in a uproar when you play out " damn he isnt playing on the 62 tonight lets go to the other club"

and what does age have to do with it im 43
Jed 104 10:02 PM - 13 February, 2014
Nope reaquan I'll rock it on any mixer. I have backups too and have dealt with broken headphones and failed laptops as well as turntables and the whole 9. That's not the point.

I refuse to be a mindless fanboy I'm saying a 1.8k mixer should be built solidly.

Select you have obviously had the same issue proving it's not isolated. You don't seem to agree that it shouldn't happen to us all in the first place though which is baffling.

For the record Rane service in the UK is not the best. For a start they have contracted it out to Sennheiser and they quote a 4 to 5 week repair offering no explanation or apology. They also don't admit they made a mixer with weak buttons in the first place. Your blind loyalty is endearing but I'm more practical, I pay money I expect quality.
SELECT 10:06 PM - 13 February, 2014
Read- serato.com
Jed 104 10:25 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Read- serato.com

Read it. It contains the same arguments and counter arguments. Proves nothing apart from the fact other people have this issue and the 3rd party service centres aren't as good as Rane US.

I'm done with this thread now. I've made my point, build quality may be good but it's not £1800 good end of story.
raequan 10:27 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:

I refuse to be a mindless fanboy I'm saying a 1.8k mixer should be built solidly.

agree

but as i said s^$&$ happens

it may not be acceptable to you for it to break down or anyone else.

life is to short..... my stuff breaks i send it out to get fixed....it will never stop me from doing a job i am being paid to do.
Jed 104 10:40 PM - 13 February, 2014
Ok I don't want to start arguing with other DJs, we are all in the same boat. I'm actually trying to stick up for us all and say enough of the overcharging or provide quality for money. That being said you're missing my point. This will not stop me doing my job but it will incur expense and time sorting it out and regardless of all that the main issue is the build quality is not matching the price tag.

Does our love of Rane/Serato get in the way of our judgement sometimes? I think so, I know it has with me. That doesn't mean we can't speak up when something isn't right.
Niro 1:43 AM - 16 February, 2014
I have a friend who bought an Audi and it had some electrical issues, I've had 3 different MacBook Pros sent in for service. Just sent in my $600 pair of snowboard pants because the taped seams weren't sticking. My current Subaru has a known headlight issue. I know of a few people have their expensive hard drives go. $1200 SSD by OWC failed on me while I was on your in Asia 2 years ago.

Rane makes some of the best Dj equipment out. Like anything else, expensive or not, there will always be a lemon or a minor issue caused by unforeseen factors. The awesome part is Rane stands by their product and will happily fix your problem. Which is a major step above many other companies. Have you ever tried to reach pioneer about warranty service, good luck.

Contact Rane and they will get you dialed. Venting on here isn't going to get your mixer fixed any quicker.
Jed 104 1:53 AM - 16 February, 2014
Ok so from the responses I'm getting that we shouldn't speak out when our overpriced products break down? Companies can rely on our silence. Got it.
Niro 2:20 AM - 16 February, 2014
I would understand if they refused to work with you or offer to help you out. Then there would be a reason to. Trust me, after my expensive pair of pioneer headphones failed and I couldn't get a response. I was upset, I also choose not to support them any more. But Rane has outstanding customer service and will usually bend over backwards to help you out (from my past experience.)

Apple, sennheiser and a few other companies also have really good customer service. I'm just saying you should contact them first, before going into a rant about their overpriced product.
gfella 2:36 AM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:
Ok so from the responses I'm getting that we shouldn't speak out when our overpriced products break down? Companies can rely on our silence. Got it.

You sure can speak out.
But bear in mind that sometimes things can get broken, this happens.
Do you think Rane want that happening to you?
You probably have a first batch 62 manufactured early/mid 2012, cue buttons on later batches have been changed.
If a device is expensive does not mean it never breaks down, I wish it was;)

It sure sucks when the mixer is not working but you should contact Rane and it's now up to them to help you.
I'm sure it will be solved.

@Niro
Funny you mentioned the Audi.
Good example and offcourse something can get wrong with them, I speak out of experience.
Unfortunatly is the service here in the Netherlands not that good.
I wish that gets better in the future.
Jed 104 2:37 AM - 16 February, 2014
I have contacted them and it's far from a rant. I'm not angry I just believe in speaking up when it's appropriate.

I don't call a 5 week turnaround good service I'm sorry and the fact this is far from an isolated issue cannot be ignored either.

That's the last reply out of me. I guess you guys just don't understand where I'm coming from on this.
raequan 4:32 AM - 16 February, 2014
you paid $2000 for a mixer and you want to get every penny out of the $2000 you spent.

so it shouldnt break in the next 20 yrs to get your moneys worth.

and you would expect to get firmware updates for the next 20 yrs.....

and want to sell it 20 years later for $1800

5 weeks to get your mixer repaired for free. what do you think the repair place will drop what there doing once your mixer comes to their shop.(maybe they have other people's stuff to repair that was there before yours.)

oh i cant dj your club for the next 5 weeks sorry my 62 is in the shop.....

have you tried sdj with your 62 there are folks having problems with it.... do you think you should get your money back cause sdj isnt 100% working with your 62.

your a pro dj as you say you are so this $2000 should be no problem for you.

Quote:

why do you think the 62 is overpriced...

i paid for convenience 2 sounds cards, access to all functions without getting a sub controller. midi mappable. midi clock out
no more sl boxes to connect or multiple rca jacks. quicker setup and breakdown. external send and returns.

i have owned my 62 for 6 months now... and if it breaks i will send it to rane cause i have a 3 yr warranty... it doesnt effect me in any way cause i prepare myself for such things to happen.... i dont rely one just one piece of equipment

how much is a djm 900nexus with an sl4 box

the cdj2000 nexus is overpriced and had bugs for a whole year ..... i think those guys have pains when they spent $4200 on cdj's that didnt work from day one.

your mixer worked for 13 months and only thing broke is a plastic button.

You should be upset when you buy something and it breaks with in a few months and the company is not willing to fix it.

that's what your not getting..... rane will fix your mixer under warranty there not hiding from you.

all you want to hear is that you have a perfect mixer that not ever ever going to break.
Niro 4:35 AM - 16 February, 2014
I guess I didn't understand what you speaking up against. I'm sorry for your turn around time, I'm sure it's because you are not in the same country. I've been in your shoes with electronics bought from HK and they actually just sent me parts and asked me to replace (including soldering it myself.) and it still took a long time to get the part. I've had nothing but excellent customer service from Rane.

My apologies for your situation and the miscommunication. I hope you're back up and running sooner then later.

Good luck.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:04 PM - 16 February, 2014
@op I get where you are coming from.

Shouldn't there be a wide spread recall if a line of products have a known widespread hardware fault.

Being a pro dj or not isn't a key issue here. It's about a product that was bought with hard earned money having a issue which is reported.

Op probably regretting posting his feelings here.

Someone saying he should count himself lucky that Rane will fix for free, like it some privilege.

Someone somewhere has read this post and knows about the dodgy buttons now. That's the point!

I didn't know about the buttons before
raequan 1:32 PM - 16 February, 2014
Quote:

Being a pro dj or not isn't a key issue here. It's about a product that was bought with hard earned money having a issue which is reported.

Op probably regretting posting his feelings here.

Someone saying he should count himself lucky that Rane will fix for free, like it some privilege.

Someone somewhere has read this post and knows about the dodgy buttons now. That's the point!

I didn't know about the buttons before

ok let say this is a whole epidemic button failure..... did the OP register his or her rane product...

rane would notify all users that there mixer is faulty and there is some kind of recall.......

there is no such thing is happening.....

rane is repairing and if it is under warranty they will fix it......there is no privilege here

i dont see the problem here.

ok spent 2k on a mixer goes bad.... its still under warranty..... company fixes it for free

mmm the belly aching...... come on now.

i have go out of my way to find a proper box and packaging...... go to the postal center and drop off box and pay for it to be shipped out...... the total inconvenience the world will come to an end..... for 5 weeks i have to stop playing out.

the OP stated he is a pro dj..... pro's have backups...... look at the US olympic speed skaters changing their new high tech skate suits..... to their old ones.

thats what PRO DJ's do ......they are prepared for anything..
nik39 12:05 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
I have contacted them and it's far from a rant. I'm not angry I just believe in speaking up when it's appropriate.

Fully agree.

Quote:
I don't call a 5 week turnaround good service I'm sorry and the fact this is far from an isolated issue cannot be ignored either.

Agree again. I think it is important to post in the public and let Rane know which of their local partners do not make a good job!

Quote:
Shouldn't there be a wide spread recall if a line of products have a known widespread hardware fault.

That or those users who have bought a product should be contacted. This is much better than if people who are not aware of known issues on public forums etc.
S4racen 3:14 PM - 24 February, 2014
I have a 62, bought in the UK from DV247 (who have since gone into a pre-packaged liquidation and are now owned by a new parent)

Who do i approach to get mine fixed as it suffers the same problems as above, don't want to moan just want to get it fixed and without a retailer i'm at a loss as to where to go!

Cheers
D
raequan 3:40 PM - 24 February, 2014
call rane and tell them your situation....

your 62 is not working?
S4racen 7:10 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:

your 62 is not working?

That's the thing, RANE in England is??

Cheers
D
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:01 AM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

your 62 is not working?

That's the thing, RANE in England is??

Cheers
D

I guess you missed the lesson on how to use google

www.rane.com
S4racen 8:35 PM - 26 February, 2014
Email sent... Thanks for the link!

I wouldn't have assumed the distributor was responsible, but obviously that is the case....

Cheers
D
Mr. Kratz 9:02 AM - 1 March, 2014
serato dj run fast with the sxty two good work
hersh20 2:08 PM - 2 May, 2014
hey guys, i have seen just about every hardware issue with my 62 since i bought it. but the thing is i love it so much i just got a second one. and as long as they fix them for free ill keep it. the truth is the build quality isnt up to par with past models, (i had a 57 for as long as it was available) but rane is committed to repairing it each and every time. i can only hope that they address the root causes in the manufacturing process and work everything out.
shamroc 6:17 AM - 28 June, 2014
Jed - i agree with you. when you pay big money for something, you expect the product to work. the fact that rane is US based makes it more tricky to manage issues outside its local market. similar issues in Australia. it's ok to like the product, but for it to blind your judgement is another issue altogether.
SUBSTANCE 3:40 AM - 1 July, 2014
My cue buttons broke. I emailed Rane. They sent me new parts (to New Zealand). I put them in myself. It was easy.
Jed 104 7:55 PM - 10 July, 2014
I'm back. Now one of my bass pots is starting to go (grinding when turned)....
Jed 104 5:36 PM - 28 September, 2014
OK here's an update on my experience so far. I've has 2 repairs done. The first took 5 weeks. The last repair I had done took over 6 weeks due to them not even looking at it until the last moment. The then realised they needed parts from the US. They replaced the faceplate and the mainboard to solve my problems in the end.

Having had the mixer back a month or so last night I noticed the LED on a back button had gone already. I don't even use that button

I've already had well over 2 months without this mixer because of the poor build quality, now Im facing another 4-5 weeks on my crappy backup mixer because Im not yet rich enough to just buy another of these things...

I know Serato dont build them but their name is on them so maybe a bit of pressure to use test the hardware or increase the build quality for their mixers might be appropriate...
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:42 PM - 29 September, 2014
Hey Jed,

We're extremely sorry you've had to send your mixer in so many times.
As I'm sure you've been told we had issues with the first couple iterations of the caps.
This mixer has since been fixed. We have not had any mixer come back for broken caps since updating to these latest caps.

You shouldn't be dealing with any broken caps from here on out.
As for the lighting on the back button not working... what firmware version is installed on the mixer?
Jed 104 6:05 PM - 29 September, 2014
Thanks for getting back to me. Its fully updated, definitely a hardware issue I've rocked it back and forth and wiggled it about and the LED sometimes flicks on when I do this. Funnily enough the back function is working regardless of the light.

Sennheiser said the turnaround should be 2 weeks this time which isnt ideal but much better. So I'm going to leave til after an important gig (Jazzy Jeff will be using it) and send it in then...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:12 PM - 29 September, 2014
Hm.. sounds like the cap may not have gotten seated properly when they put the new caps in.
Hopefully this will be the last time you have to send it in my friend... at least for a long time.
Jed 104 6:14 PM - 29 September, 2014
Yeah me too, although I have the complaint I had to go through this all I do love my mixer and can't imagine using anything else for the time being. Thanks
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:18 PM - 29 September, 2014
We truly thank you for your support!
Jed 104 9:18 AM - 20 October, 2014
Just realised I've now spent £30 in postage sending my mixer back for warranty repairs. I wont get the months without the mixer back but is there any way to claim the £ back from Rane?
Jed 104 10:47 AM - 24 October, 2014
If anyone is interested I've just got off the phone with Sennheiser, Ranes UK repair company. My mixer needs another new Mainboard (the last one was replaced end of August). This being the third repair I will have been without my mixer for 14 weeks and it has cost me £30 in postage charges.

My advice if you are considering buying this mixer especially in the UK is be prepared to be without it a lot. It isn't built solidly, and I can assure you I don't even hammer it, its used for 2 or 3 gigs a week max...
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:38 PM - 24 October, 2014
Its unfortunate that you've had to send your mixer in so many times. I can assure everyone that having to replace a main board is extremely rare. Much less having to replace it twice.
Jed 104 9:21 PM - 3 September, 2015
Im back. Mixer has gone in again with left cue 1 button collapsing :(
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:50 PM - 4 September, 2015
Ugh…

We have yet to have any mixers come back for repair after us putting in the newest caps which was around a year and half ago. Sounds like Sennheiser may not have replaced all the caps with the latest version or perhaps you sent it in right before those version of the caps were available?

Send me an email at zachs@rane.com and I'll get a conversation with Sennheiser's repair department going.
Jed 104 6:16 PM - 4 September, 2015
Will do, incidentally they sent my mixer back to me unrepaired after opening it just a warehouse mistake apparently so they're picking it back up on Monday by courier :/

I'm pretty chilled this time bought a pioneer and some Dicers as a backup and to be honest had been enjoying using the rane before that.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:21 PM - 4 September, 2015
I'm happy to hear you have a back up.
Sennheiser knows now to always replace all the caps on older units.
I hope they get it back to you shortly.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:28 PM - 4 September, 2015
Actually.. our UK distributor has recently changed.

It is now Polar Audio.

Polar Audio Ltd
Unit 1 17 Albert Drive
Burgess Hill
West Sussex
RH15 9TN
United Kingdom
Tel: 44 (0) 144 258 258
Fax: 44 (0) 1444 258 444

They would be the ones to handle anything under the Rane warranty.
I'm not sure what you have sorted out with Sennheiser but let me know if you need assistance.
Jed 104 7:42 PM - 4 September, 2015
! They didn't mention it today when I called. Just said it must've been sent back in error and are sending a courier Monday. Should I cancel that and contact Polar?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:52 PM - 4 September, 2015
Yes I would.
Jed 104 9:59 AM - 10 September, 2015
Greg at Polar says he's waiting to hear back from Rane about the 3 year warranty (I'm in my third year). If this process could be speeded up that would be cool, I'd've thought they knew if you register you get the extra year...
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:54 PM - 15 September, 2015
Hey Jed,

Just getting back from a long weekend. Did you get this sorted?
Jed 104 5:56 PM - 15 September, 2015
Nope, called them again yesterday they said they're moving locations but would get back to me. Mixer is still sat in its box at my house :(
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:15 PM - 15 September, 2015
Hm.. unfortunately there isn't much I'll be able to do until they get set back up.
I'm sorry you have to wait. I will check with higher up and see what their ETA might be.
Jed 104 6:25 PM - 15 September, 2015
Thanks Zach
Jed 104 9:55 AM - 20 September, 2015
Still waiting, every time I call thy say someone's sorting it and they'll be in touch. No reply to my last email either. Are these buttons user replaceable? At this rate it'd be best to send me some with some instructions and I'll fit them myself!
Jed 104 9:52 AM - 22 September, 2015
OK now I have real problems. Polar are refusing to repair it (after making me pay to post it to them) because it was bought from a US dealer and they say Rane wont approve it.

I've had this repaired 3 times in the UK by Sennheiser and the reason it now needs repairing is because they didn't do the job properly in the first place!

Please tell me I dont have to post my mixer to the US and wait for it to come back...
Jed 104 10:19 AM - 22 September, 2015
Update: they've agreed to repair it now after I sent another email...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:20 PM - 22 September, 2015
Ya.. I was gonna say. We spoke with them about you not having to pay for this. I'm glad they are sorting it. Really sorry for the inconvenience:(