Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Kontrol X1 (mk1) and Serato DJ

Frank aka farec 4:28 PM - 6 February, 2014
Hi, Does anybody know how to get the X1 controller to work in SDJ?

I tried the same way, like I got it to work in SSL before. The X1 shows up in Pref. on the MIDI tap, but it won't respond to any of my MIDI config attempts. I tried the Maschine Mikro (mk2) and it seem to respond... Is the X1 (mk1) too old?

Anybody the same problem with the old X1, or can anybody help?

THX in advance...
MBLL 9:50 PM - 6 February, 2014
Did you remember to put the x1 in midi mode?
deejdave 10:05 PM - 6 February, 2014
I have used the X1 (MK1) with SDj no problem so I can confirm it works. Obviously only with the available features to be mapped though.
joelferrer 11:11 PM - 6 February, 2014
hey deejdave, wazzup.. i have a question.. how did you do mapping, loop and rolling using rotator knob of kontrol x1??? tnx brah
deejdave 11:18 PM - 6 February, 2014
I am not sure if I even went that far TBH. I will check tonight. I did the cue points. Loop in Loop out and I am pretty sure loop roll but not 100%. I know SSL was a lot better with my X1. That I know. I only got so far and realized in its current state (without the midi panel) it wouldnt work for me so I did stop at one point and go with Remote & DDJ-Sp1 instead for DJM-900SRT and Rane 64 while not needing any with my DDJ-SX. I'll get back to you on that though cool?
joelferrer 11:22 PM - 6 February, 2014
big tnx deejdave...
Frank aka farec 9:04 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Did you remember to put the x1 in midi mode?

thx Black Marbo, I think didn't do that. To be honest, I can't remember how to set it in midi -mode... Is an option on the Native Controller Editor, or anywhere on SDJ?
MBLL 12:05 PM - 7 February, 2014
Pres shift + midi
MBLL 12:11 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Pres shift + midi

On the x1
Frank aka farec 12:57 PM - 7 February, 2014
thx man, will try that later.

cheers!
AlekNS7 8:19 PM - 7 February, 2014
Last weekend I did the setup with my Numark NS7 + Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII. Win7 64-bit platform. Had some troubles to install drivers for X1 but success at the end. After that I had to install Controller Editor, and after that to MIDI map in SDJ. Quite easy and works without any problems. So, I mapped FX and CUE, had no idea how to change lights on X1 for some buttons and some advanced mapping, but basic stuff works. If you need more info, please ask...
joelferrer 9:31 AM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Last weekend I did the setup with my Numark NS7 + Traktor Kontrol X1 MkII. Win7 64-bit platform. Had some troubles to install drivers for X1 but success at the end. After that I had to install Controller Editor, and after that to MIDI map in SDJ. Quite easy and works without any problems. So, I mapped FX and CUE, had no idea how to change lights on X1 for some buttons and some advanced mapping, but basic stuff works. If you need more info, please ask...

hey wazzup bro.. how about the loop-roll? did u map it? how? tnx bro...
AlekNS7 12:18 PM - 12 February, 2014
Hi joelferrer,
No loop-roll, sorry :( I don't know if it's possible on NS7. I did only basic stuff mappings - cues, loops, FX, FX select...
But, as a workaround I think that you can choose "Looper" FX from Back Pack, set it to 4 (or 2 or 1) beats and you will have the same effect as Loop-Roll. Or you can do experiments with various FXs and find the one which might help (Repeater for example)...
Let me know if this helps...
Bernard 12:03 AM - 15 February, 2014
Hello everybody I was able to assign some of the buttons on my x1, like Cues, Loops, and the eight buttons for my effects. With Scratch Live this thing is great. But how do I assign all the buttons to Serato DJ? Anybody please help
Bernard 12:21 AM - 15 February, 2014
I think we are going to pay for the midi panel on Serato dj just like pitch & time. lol
deejdave 1:56 AM - 15 February, 2014
LOL Nah They know they fudged on this one. This in no way is an extra feature but instead should be considered a core feature.
Mr. Goodkat 2:36 AM - 26 August, 2014
anyone get a decent mapping for the x1?? as soon as i get something, i try to close and reopen and it gets messed up in some form.
Bernard 6:18 PM - 2 September, 2014
Yes I got x1 map to the software. If you need help let me know
djlowood 12:19 PM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:
Yes I got x1 map to the software. If you need help let me know

Did you map the library knobs? I can scroll down but when I try to scroll up it browse the entire playlist until I turn right the knob.
Help :(
DanKr 8:50 PM - 3 September, 2014
Same problem!
And I cant midimap the Auto Loop button in the midi panel to the knobs of my kontrol x1. Only the Loop Roll button works.
???
djlowood 9:05 PM - 3 September, 2014
I set the in and out loop buttons and then I can select the lenght with the knobs. Is the only solution I could find. If someone has a better one please share it with us :D
Mr. Goodkat 9:12 PM - 3 September, 2014
i was just about to write about the loops, i can get the scroll loop size with the second rotary encoders, like it was mapped for ssl, but i cant get it to press down to hold the loop

also have a problem with the upper left bank of orange keys.

Used to have the bottom left set as internal mode, for stuff like dirty needles and a quick flip to INT mode. NOw i cannot get that to map that button. ive tried going thru the NI editor and using different modes and nothing works..

has anyone tried with the x1 and no editor or will it even work that way?
Serginho Paschoal 2:02 AM - 4 September, 2014
Hello,
You have to install "NI controller editor" to change some parameters on X1

on the editor to scroll library you have to change "mode" in "Assign" tab to Relative Offset and when you are mapping the software press C to change parameter on serato until you find the proper operating

the other push buttons i have to change the "Type" on the same tab to "Note" then they works

My map:
www.4shared.com

Hope this helps
djlowood 2:15 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
Hello,
You have to install "NI controller editor" to change some parameters on X1

on the editor to scroll library you have to change "mode" in "Assign" tab to Relative Offset and when you are mapping the software press C to change parameter on serato until you find the proper operating

the other push buttons i have to change the "Type" on the same tab to "Note" then they works

My map:
www.4shared.com

Hope this helps

You saved my gigs. Thank you :D
Serginho Paschoal 2:36 AM - 4 September, 2014
On my map
plese pay attention only on the first knob mapped to the new filter, when you connect the serato dj, it cuts the treble, you have to touch this knob to turn back the sound normal or unmap this parameter...
Mr. Goodkat 2:40 AM - 4 September, 2014
does it contain the map for ni editor and Serato dj?
Serginho Paschoal 1:47 PM - 4 September, 2014
Yes, it contain the map for ni editor and Serato dj, but, it is a example for you see what i do, i dont use cue points on x1, i use browse, auto-loop, abs|rel|int, looprool, and efects... on the shift tab: efects, browse, auto-loop and internal player function...
djlowood 9:46 PM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
i was just about to write about the loops, i can get the scroll loop size with the second rotary encoders, like it was mapped for ssl, but i cant get it to press down to hold the loop

also have a problem with the upper left bank of orange keys.

Used to have the bottom left set as internal mode, for stuff like dirty needles and a quick flip to INT mode. NOw i cannot get that to map that button. ive tried going thru the NI editor and using different modes and nothing works..

has anyone tried with the x1 and no editor or will it even work that way?

I could map the ABS REL and INT buttons only by changing the type of button in the NI Editor from "Control Change" to "Note". I don't know what the difference is but it works fine now!
Reesi 1:39 PM - 12 September, 2014
Hey Guys.

Iv mapped my Kontrol x1 Mk2 with Serato DJ. But I'm having trouble with the loop rolls. I get one mapped to one deck's loop roll fine changing data type etc. But then when I map the other nob for the other deck's loop roll both nobs then control that 1 deck. The 2 nobs are not separating to control each individual deck. Iv tried to change the name of them in Control Editor. Still no luck.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mr. Goodkat 5:42 PM - 12 September, 2014
i asked help and their official response was that they were not supporting the x1.

but basically it doesnt work. all the bugs in SDJ will most likely be ironed out by 2.0 or summer 2015-ish
Reesi 6:20 PM - 12 September, 2014
Damn it. ok.

Cheers GoodKat
Reesi 6:41 PM - 12 September, 2014
Ah, it I just sussed my loop role issue out.

If your having a same problem getting the Loop nobs on Kontrol x1 Mk2 to separate for each deck, change one of the Loop nobs 'Turn' parameter type to 'Control Change' in Controller Editor. Assign this nob to the deck's Loop Size midi control in SDJ, and then change that parameter type to 'relative - signed bit'.

And boom, works good and its not interrupting with the other decks Loop roll control (set the normal way - MCU Wheel / Relative binary offset)
Mr. Goodkat 8:07 PM - 12 September, 2014
i can get the loop knobs to change the parameter, but i can't get the push of the knob to actually hold down the loop. have you got that yet? it worked fine in ssl.
Reesi 8:59 PM - 12 September, 2014
I have the push set to 'Gate' in control editor and midi mapped the push to Autoloop in the control panel on SDJ - works fine for me. So then it will loop for the selected amount of beats, and come out that loop on the second push.

Any help?
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:02 PM - 10 October, 2014
Any one knows how i can get the X1 to assign FX to either Deck 1 or 2.
I'm on Rane 62 and two TTs. I'm trying to use the internal FX.
I tried to Map the FX1 and FX2 button on each side of the X1 but having no joy.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:01 PM - 10 October, 2014
Now i have my Traktor Kontrol X1 (MK 1) controlling Serato DJ FX and assigning too.

I used the NI Controller Editor to tweak a few things.

I changed the FX buttons Type - "Note" and Mode - "Gate"
I have the LED On "For Midi Out".

Is there a way to have the FX button LIGHT UP & STAY ON to correspond to whats going on in the software e.g when i have say FX 1 on Deck A active i want the Left FX1 button on the X1 light to stay on.

The "On/Off" buttons for each individual FX (i.e 1,2,3 on Both Sides) stays on (lights up) when i have an internal effect activated as it should. They are set to "Control Change" and Mode is "Toggle" & Action "On Down".

If i set the FX1 or FX2 button to "Control Change" Serato DJ doesnt respond to it.

:/
DJ Scorpion 9:38 PM - 10 October, 2014
Got plenty of problems mapping my X1, too.

with a little tweaking within the ontrol editor I got most of the stuff I need mapped but still no luck on autoloop select & library scroll ... so basically sdj is still unusable for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:39 AM - 11 October, 2014
I've got autoselect loop and looproll working. Changed the settings in Controller Editor to MCU if you are using the Endless Rotary Knob, then the "push" to note and "Gate"

I'm assuming that's the button/knob you want to use
Mr. Goodkat 12:21 AM - 22 October, 2014
well now the scroll works correctly with 1.72, compliment 2's or whatever makes things better.

glad these bug fixes are coming thru, so i realize the midi was fcked not my brain.
Dj-Spy 7:36 AM - 22 October, 2014
can anyone assist me in setting up my x1 with serato DJ?

I switched from traktor to serato DJ, so I never really had my hands on the NI controller editor because the x1 worked natively.
UKSwagger 9:50 AM - 22 October, 2014
Another shout for some news / help on this.

I've managed to map the play button, the three FX dials on each deck (but not anyway of selecting which effect is on which dial), and 4 SP-6 samples (but cannot add any more as they just don't save for some reason).

I can't map any buttons such as eject / sync.

Is this issue going to be addressed and when?
UKSwagger 9:54 AM - 22 October, 2014
Quote:
well now the scroll works correctly with 1.72, compliment 2's or whatever makes things better.

glad these bug fixes are coming thru, so i realize the midi was fcked not my brain.

Can you tell me the settings for this, I couldn't get it to work so far?
Mr. Goodkat 2:26 AM - 23 October, 2014
in the editor make it mcl

in the prog turn the(i use the left rotary, like it was in ssl) rotary and push c, til you get to compliment 2s.

its weird because it would work occasionally in 1.7o, but not all the time. then 1.72 came out, and it worked and then worked in 1.70 today.

ive also found that i have the same bug that ssl had until about 2.3, where if it works, then you close sdj and unplug, the next time you use it, it may not recognize the X1 at all.

if you restart the computer, it will work again.

still i cant get INT to map. and pressing the loop wont make the loop work, but i can scroll loop sizes.
UKSwagger 10:10 AM - 23 October, 2014
Quote:
in the editor make it mcl

in the prog turn the(i use the left rotary, like it was in ssl) rotary and push c, til you get to compliment 2s.

its weird because it would work occasionally in 1.7o, but not all the time. then 1.72 came out, and it worked and then worked in 1.70 today.

ive also found that i have the same bug that ssl had until about 2.3, where if it works, then you close sdj and unplug, the next time you use it, it may not recognize the X1 at all.

if you restart the computer, it will work again.

still i cant get INT to map. and pressing the loop wont make the loop work, but i can scroll loop sizes.

Thank you. Will test later!
Dj-Spy 11:41 AM - 24 October, 2014
My x1 now works with SDJ, even the light output function works pretty well also with the shift function. So my x1 lights always sync with the software thats pretty awesome
UKSwagger 12:05 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:
My x1 now works with SDJ, even the light output function works pretty well also with the shift function. So my x1 lights always sync with the software thats pretty awesome

Which version of SDJ are you using?
Dj-Spy 12:27 PM - 24 October, 2014
I'm playing with the 1.7.2 beta
Mr. Goodkat 4:40 PM - 24 October, 2014
Quote:

yeah, seems 1.72 is much better than before. have you been able to get your x1 to play like it did with ssl 2.5 ie, making the loops work(scroll, then press to loop)? Or get the the play and int/rel buttons to map?
Dj-Spy 2:49 PM - 25 October, 2014
I never used SSL, so I can't compare. Never thougt about loop scroll, i only use autoloop and loop size.play, int, rel and abs buttons work, also with light output
JonnyD'Lux 5:08 AM - 6 November, 2014
I may be stupid but I read this whole thread. I'm running serato DJ 1.7.2 and there is no love with the Traktor X1. It sort of works. At this point I don't care about two way feedback on the buttons. What I care about is the X1 doesn't respond lime it did in SSL. Its like there's a bug or something. I have the Traktor control software going. Seriously... Is there a video or something?
JonnyD'Lux 5:10 AM - 6 November, 2014
UK swagger. What do you mean by MCL?
Mr. Goodkat 9:00 PM - 6 November, 2014
it sort of kinda works lol.
Mr. Goodkat 2:05 AM - 10 November, 2014
after getting a pioneer sp1 for 210$ mint used. the x1(in terms of what it does for ssl) compared to teh DDJ SP1 is hands down a better controller.

the sp1 is by far the most overpriced piece of kit for any sdj or ssl EVER. at least i paid 210$.
deejdave 6:24 AM - 10 November, 2014
For SSL sure. Then again why are we discussing this in the SDJ section? In relation to the actual topic I haven't used my X1 SINCE I got the SP1. I haven't use SSL since I got the SRT though.
Mr. Goodkat 7:12 AM - 10 November, 2014
i use my x1 with sdj and it just kind of works. now the beta is 1.72 but, as person that would not play with a beta, the 1.70 that i use just kinda works. So in the mean time i bought a sp1 finally since i got it used in perfect shape. Its ok but its basically going to need a laptop stand in some booths or 2.

The majority is used for efx, which i just don't need that much, and i run through at SRT, which has much better efx and implementation. It like to see a +- nudge,a play/stop button or map the huge Sync button is (who really turns sync on and off that much??), the use of the volume on the SP6 used as a Pitch fader for Deck A or B. Basically it needs to be more mappable. The size is too large and its nice its not crammed, but, it could be 3/4 size.

back tothe x1 is just half mappable, which to SDJs credit they have got better, but you cant really get everything out of it like the premade template that came with the X1, which makes sense that Serato wouldnt make a template for another companies template, but at least let us make our own completely. Maybe 1.72 final will clear things up.

sp1 is just over priced for and efx controller and pad bank imo. couple cool things, but 399, not that cool. im sure the next version will have an air horn and espresso maker. so theres that.
deejdave 7:25 AM - 10 November, 2014
Got it brand new for $299 if I remember correctly. $399 DEF too much agreed. The next version having colored cue points is all I am hoping for. The FX section is detailed I agree but I mainly use for the performance pads. Slicer which will never be available for custom mapped controllers (unless midi out is added) is just another cool feature but not worth the money on its own either. This is why I say all added up the sub controller was worth the $300. Would have hoped.

In terms of size I agree BUT I personally find myself almost squinting (bit of an exaggeration I know LOL) to see the pads after using the SZ so I am hoping MKII brings larger perf pads which are again multi colorded according to cues points.

My thing is since 1.7.0 SDJ has become a SUPER stable work horse for me personally so I my interest in SSL which was mainly with the TT's ever since I got my original SX.

IF you do have the interest 1.7.2 is super stable and ha some useful fixes & additions.
Mr. Goodkat 7:43 AM - 10 November, 2014
construction and pads may be worth $299.

but, just a few additions or mapping make this an all in one controller. i dj with only my x1 from time to time with the pitch mapped to the lowest knob and the fx1/2 as nudge. cues/scrolling/auto loops/loop roll/int mode/ volume/efx/efx amnt-d/w.

its weird going back to ssl and remembering when everything worked properly. but i would rather use sdj due to pnt at public gigs because i am playing a wide range of music and using wide tempo changes and the PNT plug does help.
Mr. Goodkat 7:46 AM - 10 November, 2014
Quote:
cues/scrolling/auto loops/loop roll/int mode/ volume/efx/efx amnt-d/w.

i should have said i have all that stuff mapped, ive just run in to quite a few sdj problems.

currently i can map

play/nudge/loop size-not engage/loop roll/pitch/scroll works in 1.72 not 1.70 evertime/etc

basically i'd just like the functionality of the x1 be able to be mapped or the quality of the SP1 to be mappable at all.