Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Constant/Smart Sync for DVS

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL4
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Menace 8:32 AM - 4 February, 2014
On the Serato DJ site it says:

"Sync is finally here for DVS DJs that want it. Hit sync to get tracks in time quickly, allowing you to do other things instead of moving the pitch slider."

If it syncs only a few seconds and then it gets out of sync I still need to move the pitch slider ;-) So it would be nice if Sync would work constant for DVS as long Sync is enabled.

When will Smart Sync work for DVS, too?

A timecode from CD/Vinyl shouldn't make such a difference than the plate position of a midi controller.

Serato, Support
Matt P 8:56 PM - 5 February, 2014
Hi Menace,

Are you using beatgrids? This is a better way to use sync effectively. Some people don't like having to edit grids. I personally find it quite easy and fun. I enable "snap to beatgrid" and find that this allows much better sync with tracks.

Here's our guide on beat grids - serato.com

Smart Sync may be coming for Serato DJ soon. I have no information on that for now.

Matt P
8:59 PM, 5 Feb 2014
Menace attached a file: Serato DJ Sync problem.mp4
Download· Permalink
Menace 9:00 PM - 5 February, 2014
Yes, I am using beatgrids. Please watch the attached video how quick it gets out of sync. It has nothing to do with looping. I could have turned the loops off and there would be the same result.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:56 PM - 5 February, 2014
Hi Menace,

Are you turntables both set at 0 pitch?

By pressing sync again (as you did in this video) you are able to get the tracks to snap back in sync. The wow and flutter of turntables is something that will ultimately unsync the tracks. We are developing sync further however, in this current incarnation (1.6), this is behaving as it should.

Matt P
Menace 11:10 PM - 5 February, 2014
I have figured this out, too to press sync again but I would have to do it a lot more often than twice.

My turntables were not set to "0" because I always try to sync tracks by myself. In this case I just wanted to show (if you don't manually sync them right) that the wow and flutter of the turntables gets tracks out of sync very quick and in my opinion this shouldn't happen if the software would ignore the wow and flutter by locking to the beatgrids of the tracks somehow. I really expected a constant sync feature in Relative mode with turntables. I hope the Serato developers will focus on it to improve it. It can be very useful after too much beer :-)
Konix 2:05 AM - 6 February, 2014
You want Smart Sync, which isn't currently available for DVS device, only for controllers.
djcrap 2:53 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Hi Menace,

Are you using beatgrids? This is a better way to use sync effectively. Some people don't like having to edit grids. I personally find it quite easy and fun. I enable "snap to beatgrid" and find that this allows much better sync with tracks.

Here's our guide on beat grids - serato.com

Smart Sync may be coming for Serato DJ soon. I have no information on that for now.

Matt P

I hate lining up beat grids but i like cheating to do them..lol

If it was not for morse code, This is were buffer king easter egg i as a feature iwould come handy, all you would have todo with your eqs on your serato supported mixer would be isolate the treble and mids from the song. Crunk up the bass then precisely and easily aline the beat grid to the ones of every bar count and also easily with a simple glance at the red colorful beginning of the bass/ kick-drum detect beat grids that are off line
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:52 PM - 11 February, 2014
Hi Menace,

Yeah, i agree it would be cool if we could ignore the wow and flutter too. I enjoy smart sync alot however, we will just have to wait and see how this develops. I'm sure we will explore all sorts of options in the upcoming releases.

Regards

Matt p
djcozmik 7:56 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, i agree it would be cool if we could ignore the wow and flutter too.

Sorry for being an arm-chair programmer here, but Slip mode works by waiting for the timecode to deviate from 'normal' by some threshold. It seems to me that Smart Sync could work similarly - keeping the tracks in sync and ignoring the DVS until the DVS crosses the same threshold used for Slip mode.

Just throwing that out there in case someone hasn't already thought of this (unlikely.)
BillyBoy 7:00 PM - 20 February, 2014
Smart sync does not work with Rane 68...

Does it work with the Rane 64?
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:19 PM - 20 February, 2014
Hi BillyBoy,

No DVS mixers/hardware can utilize Smart Sync, only controllers at the moment.

Matt P
BillyBoy 10:29 PM - 20 February, 2014
Okay cool everything else works good for me...
djcrap 6:16 PM - 21 February, 2014
Quote:
Hi BillyBoy,

No DVS mixers/hardware can utilize Smart Sync, only controllers at the moment.

Matt P

what type of sync does the bridge in scratch live use
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:45 AM - 24 February, 2014
djcrap,

It utilizes "Bridge sync" ;)

Its a different type of sync as the Ableton clock snaps to the beatgrid in SSL. Essentially this functions like a midi control of Ableton's tempo/clock. Its much different with DVS and variable pitch and moving platters.

Matt P
Menace 1:56 AM - 24 February, 2014
Snap to beatgrids in Relative Mode and lock it to ignore flutter until a certain limit. That should do it for DVS for constant syncing.
djcrap 7:50 AM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
djcrap,

It utilizes "Bridge sync" ;)

Its a different type of sync as the Ableton clock snaps to the beatgrid in SSL. Essentially this functions like a midi control of Ableton's tempo/clock. Its much different with DVS and variable pitch and moving platters.

Matt P

Ohhhhh thanks for the explanation
BillyBoy 12:20 AM - 25 February, 2014
So the new pioneer ddj-sz which also supports dvs be able to utilize smart sync?
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:38 AM - 25 February, 2014
Quote:
Snap to beatgrids in Relative Mode and lock it to ignore flutter until a certain limit. That should do it for DVS for constant syncing.

Sounds pretty legit. Can you code it for us? ;)

In all seriousness, this is I think what we will have to work towards. How to get that to work and be responsive is the key element.

Matt P
7:01 AM, 11 Mar 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.