DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SSL 2.5 rane 62 (2.14) latest drivers SSL crash ..

Dj Bema 3:00 AM - 3 February, 2014
I would like to attach my crash report since im fed up i cant work keeps on crashing for no reason Macbook pro i7 2.4 16gb ddr3 1600 osx 10.8.5 .......
p45 2:15 PM - 3 February, 2014
+1 had same problem with SSL twice last weekend and this friday with 2.5... problem was solved by re-verting to previous firmware on saturday afternoon & everything was fine on saturday night - this crash happened 3 times for me but only happned when 2 computers were connected to the 62 (SSL crashed on both macs at same time - each time the others Djs computer had both decks "is use" but still crashed i also have a crash report i can submit if any one from rane is reading and would like to see it ?
Detroitbootybass 5:36 PM - 3 February, 2014
This isn't a Rane mixer problem... but it likely would be a Serato software issue.

Try reposting these in the 'Scratch Live Help' section.

Good luck!
nik39 10:16 PM - 3 February, 2014
2.14? Isn't that a beta build?
djdannyd 5:55 AM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
2.14? Isn't that a beta build?

yes it is, lol
p45 1:58 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
This isn't a Rane mixer problem... but it likely would be a Serato software issue.

Good luck!

I think that this is a firmware/mixer problem & i also think it is something to do with the power supply- becuase

1) the SSL "crash" is exactly the same crash as you can sometimes get when using a cheap/dodgy smoke machine one of those smoke machines with a "female" with a IEC connector for the remote

2) one of the flex FX buttons was noticabley less bright when engaged with the new firmware (both are the same brightness now I have reverted to old firmware)

3) i was hearing very slight audio drop outs with new firmware (no USB light in SSL 2.5 but audio was dropping) , which have stopped no I have reverted to the old firmware.

all software versions are the same as before rolling back the firmware and all 3 problems have stopped so I really dont think it is the software. - problem 3 could of course be related to the rane buffer settings in the control panel - but that is still a "rane" issue not a "serato" issue as far as i understand ?
Dj Bema 3:51 PM - 6 February, 2014
p45 is probably right
p45 4:10 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

Good luck!

I think that this is a firmware/mixer problem & i also think it is something to do with the power supply- becuase

1) the SSL "crash" is exactly the same crash as you can sometimes get when using a cheap/dodgy smoke machine one of those smoke machine with a "female" with a IEC connector for the remote

2) one of the flex FX buttons was noticabley less bright when engaged with the new firmware (both are the same brightness now I have reverted to old firmware)

3) i was hearing very slight audio drop outs with new firmware (no USB light in SSL 2.5 but audio was dropping) , which have stopped now I have reverted to the old firmware.

all software versions are the same as before rolling back the firmware and all 3 problems have stopped so I really dont think it is the software. - problem 3 could of course be related to the rane buffer settings in the control panel - but that is still a "rane" issue not a "serato" issue as far as i understand ?
p45 4:10 PM - 6 February, 2014
**** sorry for double post ***
SUBSTANCE 3:27 AM - 1 July, 2014
Anyone still having crashes with 2.21?
The only time my laptop ever crashes is when I'm using SSL or Scratch Live with Rane hardware. (Mostly 62, sometimes with an SL4)
The whole laptop crashes, not just the software. I've reset PRAM, repaired permissions, cleared out suspect files....
....and then sometimes I can do a 2 hour radio show with no crashes.
All I know is that when I have USB between rane, macbook & serato - I'm a prime candidate for a kernel crash.
pdidy 5:35 AM - 1 July, 2014
Quote:
Anyone still having crashes with 2.21?
The only time my laptop ever crashes is when I'm using SSL or Scratch Live with Rane hardware. (Mostly 62, sometimes with an SL4)
The whole laptop crashes, not just the software. I've reset PRAM, repaired permissions, cleared out suspect files....
....and then sometimes I can do a 2 hour radio show with no crashes.
All I know is that when I have USB between rane, macbook & serato - I'm a prime candidate for a kernel crash.

So what did Serato say when you opened a help request to fix it ?
SUBSTANCE 9:36 PM - 1 July, 2014
Well I went to serato HQ and talked it through with them... is that satisfactory lol?
There was nothing in my crash logs that leapt out as to why I'm getting kernel crashes.
Again, just asking if any end users on the forum are still having crashes with 2.21.....
If I'm the only one, then I will start looking closer at my laptop.
Thanks for your, uh, "help".
pdidy 9:47 PM - 1 July, 2014
So I guess you picked up on my sarcasm....lol

So you went to serato HQ, had a chat and left with no diagnoses ?

I had no idea serato had walkin technical support....
SUBSTANCE 6:10 AM - 2 July, 2014
They don't :)
The info I got was that kernel crashes usually involve a USB power surge which would make it a Rane/Apple issue more than a software one.
I've had one or two old software builds in the past that didn't like my setup... kinda hoping for a firmware or software update to resolve my problem.
At this stage I'm willing to try anything.
gfella 8:44 AM - 2 July, 2014
Quote:

So you went to serato HQ, had a chat and left with no diagnoses ?

I had no idea serato had walkin technical support....

Lol
J.Blow 2:29 AM - 20 July, 2014
Did you every get to a solution on this issue? I think i may be having a similar problem. 2 laptops and a 62 crashing simultaneously.