DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sixty-Two ... New Core Audio Drivers for Serato DJ = New Possibilities?

No Handle 4:24 PM - 16 January, 2014
I own a Sixty-Two and haven't downloaded 1.6 Beta yet (gonna wait until Feb), but I'm intrigued by the new SDJ Core Audio drivers - according to the documentation, the mixer / soundcard can be shared across different applications now.

One of my biggest disappointments with the Sixty-Two was how SSL drivers made many of its best features (third-party VST effects, MIDI beat clock) inaccessible while Scratch Live was running.

Will the new drivers in SDJ open up some of these possibilities?

I'm mainly interested in getting MIDI beat clock out of Serato DJ into other apps, like Ableton.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:10 PM - 16 January, 2014
Yes.. you will not be able to use the Sixty-Two with multiple applications but unfortunately Serato DJ does not have a MIDI output.

However, the Sixty-Two does:)
And.. the Sixty-Two will see SDJ's bpm info which it can then send to Ableton.

Check out this video I made which shows how you can do this with Maschine and the Sixty-Four. It will work pretty much the same with the Sixty-Two (only the Shift button is the Delete button on the Sixty-Two) --> dj.rane.com

There are some tweaks that are being made to SDJ and the firmware for the Sixty-Two before this is working correctly but it should be dialed in once the full release is out.
No Handle 6:43 PM - 16 January, 2014
!

Just checked out the video. This is huge! Thanks.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:00 PM - 16 January, 2014
Yes it is:)
WT40 9:21 PM - 16 January, 2014
Sorry this may sound like a basic question.

Does this mean I can select the Rane 62 as the default soundcard with my Mac, launch Serato DJ to load a sample, & scratch it over a beat that I'm playing on Spotify or Soundcloud?
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:54 PM - 16 January, 2014
Yes:)
WT40 10:59 PM - 16 January, 2014
Quote:
Yes:)

Baller. Thanks I'm picking one up next week for sure.
djdannyd 9:59 PM - 18 January, 2014
Was that a 64 on the video? If it is, there are some slight differences in it.
monchi 10:50 PM - 18 January, 2014
Yes,, waht are the differences. I believe this was like the prototype... me thinks
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:28 PM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
Was that a 64 on the video? If it is, there are some slight differences in it.

Yes it was. I think the only difference is the 'delete' key acts as the 'shift' key on the 62.
djdannyd 8:11 PM - 21 January, 2014
I think there was also some graphic differences, like x-y crossfader selector switches and also the channels ID (C, A, B, D) versus (3,1,2,4)
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:39 PM - 21 January, 2014
Oh right.. ya there was some graphic differences in the 64 in the video.. I have a prototype.

I was thinking you were referring to differences between the 62 and the 64.
djdannyd 12:38 AM - 22 January, 2014
Nice! Do you guys keep some prototype models for personal use? It would be dope if you do. I work for the R&D department for an irrigation company, so keeping prototype sprinklers isn't too thrilling for me....
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:40 PM - 22 January, 2014
Yes.. that is one of the perks of working here:)
S4racen 10:29 PM - 22 January, 2014
Zach.... amazing thank you!

Cheers
D
No Handle 12:49 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Yes.. you will not be able to use the Sixty-Two with multiple applications but unfortunately Serato DJ does not have a MIDI output.

However, the Sixty-Two does:)
And.. the Sixty-Two will see SDJ's bpm info which it can then send to Ableton.

Check out this video I made which shows how you can do this with Maschine and the Sixty-Four. It will work pretty much the same with the Sixty-Two (only the Shift button is the Delete button on the Sixty-Two) --> dj.rane.com

There are some tweaks that are being made to SDJ and the firmware for the Sixty-Two before this is working correctly but it should be dialed in once the full release is out.

Zach - I made my way through your video tutorial, thanks for putting that together. I never would have known about the "nudge" feature if it weren't for your video!

It's one step closer to the dream of having nice syncing between SDJ and external software. The Bridge spoiled me a bit, there was no manual syncing and nudging needed there.

Do you know of any good tutorials for using the Sixty-Two with third-party VST effects? I can't seem to get the routing correct in Ableton or Logic. The best I've been able to do is to send a fully-wet signal to the USB Aux on the mixer. I can't seem to figure out how to use the USB Insert button properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:04 PM - 13 February, 2014
Read this article for the 68 which is pretty much the same method --> serato.com

The only difference is what input/output you choose on the Audio track in Ableton.
62 is 9/10 out and 7/8 in (or the opposite?.. can't remember off the top of my head).
No Handle 6:17 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Read this article for the 68 which is pretty much the same method --> serato.com

The only difference is what input/output you choose on the Audio track in Ableton.
62 is 9/10 out and 7/8 in (or the opposite?.. can't remember off the top of my head).

Hey Zach - I followed this article to the letter: dj.rane.com - using input 9/10 from the mixer (FlexFX send) and output 7/8 (FlexFX return), as specified for the Sixty Two manual.

However, whenever I activate "USB Insert" on the Sixty Two, any channels with FlexFX go silent, and no audio comes through the mixer.

In Ableton, the level meters show that there is signal coming in on 9/10, and going out on 7/8 whenever I activate the USB Insert button (so the routing through Ableton is working OK). But the 7/8 pair is supposed to be the FlexFX return to the mixer, and it appears that it's not working.

Any suggestions? I'm dying to get this figured out! Thanks for all your help.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:34 PM - 13 February, 2014
I'm testing this now... can you tell me what firmware version you have on the 62?
No Handle 6:37 PM - 13 February, 2014
I'm running 2.14, and Serato DJ 1.6 (full release).
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:41 PM - 13 February, 2014
Ok.. try downgrading the firmware. I can't upload the firmware downgrade here but shoot me your email via PM and I'll get it over to you.
Curious to know if the firmware upgrade broke something.
No Handle 6:44 PM - 13 February, 2014
Cool, sent.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:46 PM - 13 February, 2014
sent to you!
No Handle 7:33 PM - 13 February, 2014
Just to let you guys know - we went through a couple troubleshooting steps, and it looks like the USB Insert on the Rane Sixty Two doesn't work as it should in Serato DJ (yet).

Zach, thanks again for your help.

Will be waiting patiently for the next update!
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:09 PM - 13 February, 2014
Well.. that isn't exactly accurate.. yet.

Try changing the USB return and let me know if that works.
No Handle 8:16 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Well.. that isn't exactly accurate.. yet.

Try changing the USB return and let me know if that works.

I spoke too soon! Changing the USB return to USB Port B worked for me.

Looks like the best implementation is to make the effect full "wet" in Ableton or whatever DAW because otherwise it will double-up the dry signal.

Sweet.
No Handle 9:35 PM - 13 February, 2014
After a bit of tweaking, it looks like the USB Insert works more like a send, rather than an insert. If you enable it on a dry track, it doubles up the incoming signal.

So, I've found that mapping the Ableton track to "Sends Only" and putting the effect on the return track works best so far.

You can then MIDI map the Depth knob of the Sixty-Two to control the send level. This makes your Ableton effects function similarly to the built-in mixer effects.

I wish I could figure out a way to make it fully "wet," like a true insert effect. That's my next stop :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:16 PM - 13 February, 2014
Cool.. good its working for you.

Its weird that if you don't add any effect to the audio track no doubling happens. Only when you add an audio effect and this is with the wet/dry down for the effect. Not sure why that is. Yes.. running into a return track and lowering the volume there would get around that though.
No Handle 1:28 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Cool.. good its working for you.

Its weird that if you don't add any effect to the audio track no doubling happens. Only when you add an audio effect and this is with the wet/dry down for the effect. Not sure why that is. Yes.. running into a return track and lowering the volume there would get around that though.

I'm a little confused by this. What's the expected behavior? It is supposed to work like the Ext Insert, where it goes silent if you activate it with no effects in the loop? Or it supposed to work like a send?

With SSL, it worked more like the Ext Insert button.

I have a really sweet ducking / side-chain macro thingie going. Stoked. Now if we could only get sync on the SP-6!
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:09 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
It is supposed to work like the Ext Insert, where it goes silent if you activate it with no effects in the loop? Or it supposed to work like a send?

You don't need any effect loaded on the track. When the Flex is pressed the audio will get sent to Ableton and then back again.

Quote:
I have a really sweet ducking / side-chain macro thingie going. Stoked. Now if we could only get sync on the SP-6!

The SP-6 does sync in SDJ.
No Handle 5:17 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
It is supposed to work like the Ext Insert, where it goes silent if you activate it with no effects in the loop? Or it supposed to work like a send?

You don't need any effect loaded on the track. When the Flex is pressed the audio will get sent to Ableton and then back again.

Quote:

The SP-6 does sync in SDJ.

Cool, so this means that it works like a send effect. If there's no effect in the loop, it will send the dry signal back to the mixer, playing it out on top of the original.

As far as I know, there's no sync available for SDJ in DVS systems (like the Sixty-Two). SP-6 needs Smart Sync, and that's only available on controllers :-/
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:18 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
As far as I know, there's no sync available for SDJ in DVS systems (like the Sixty-Two). SP-6 needs Smart Sync, and that's only available on controllers :-/

Really? Hm.. wasn't aware of that. That would be extremely lame if that is the case.
I'll look into that.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:19 PM - 14 February, 2014
Ya.. you are right. Well that really sucks.
No Handle 5:23 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:

Yeah - hopefully it's in the works. I can't see how it's useful otherwise.
gfella 3:59 AM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah - hopefully it's in the works. I can't see how it's useful otherwise.

+1
Trinicapone 3:42 AM - 17 February, 2014
Man! I gotta try this! I gotta get ready for stupid work tomorrow! I just hooked up my Rane 62 did a firmware upgrade and noticed that there was a Send to midi clock that was not checked. Read this now I'm pissed wish I saw this Friday nighT!
Trinicapone 5:16 AM - 17 February, 2014
Hey Zach I tried it but there was no movement on the Ableton side
I got the audio to route with no problem but when I put a loop in Ableton nothing was moving like you did in Maschine like it was waiting for midi send but nothing. Can you help?
No Handle 3:16 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
I got the audio to route with no problem but when I put a loop in Ableton nothing was moving like you did in Maschine like it was waiting for midi send but nothing. Can you help?

Make sure you watch Zach's video all the way to the end. Here's some additional help:

In Ableton, make sure:

• You have selected the Sixty-Two as a MIDI clock source in Ableton preferences

• You click on "EXT" next to the Ableton BPM to make sure Ableton is "listening" to the Sixty-Two for beat clock and bypassing its internal clock

• You send a MIDI Start message from the Sixty-Two by holding Shift (on the Sixty-Two it's the "DELETE" button) and pressing TAP tempo

• After your loop is running, you can then use Shift + beat joystick to "nudge" the Ableton clock forwards or backwards until it is in perfect sync with Serato's beat clock

It took me a minute to get it set up properly, so keep at it!

I'd recommend routing the output of your Ableton tracks to the mixer's Aux input once you get it going so you have independent volume control, filter knob, and FlexFX.
Trinicapone 3:51 PM - 17 February, 2014
Will do I will try this when I get home
S4racen 4:54 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Make sure you watch Zach's video all the way to the end. Here's some additional help:

In Ableton, make sure:

• You click on "EXT" next to the Ableton BPM to make sure Ableton is "listening" to the Sixty-Two for beat clock and bypassing its internal clock

• You send a MIDI Start message from the Sixty-Two by holding Shift (on the Sixty-Two it's the "DELETE" button) and pressing TAP tempo

• After your loop is running, you can then use Shift + beat joystick to "nudge" the Ableton clock forwards or backwards until it is in perfect sync with Serato's beat clock

I'd recommend routing the output of your Ableton tracks to the mixer's Aux input once you get it going so you have independent volume control, filter knob, and FlexFX.

It's quality when you get it going!!

Cheers
D
Trinicapone 6:01 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In Ableton, make sure:

It's quality when you get it going!!

Cheers
D

Do you like it better than theBridge
S4racen 6:40 PM - 17 February, 2014
Personally yes, the Bridge is great for performing, i found mixtape pointless as it didn't record all the encoders....

Cheers
D
Trinicapone 7:29 PM - 17 February, 2014
Quote:
Personally yes, the Bridge is great for performing, i found mixtape pointless as it didn't record all the encoders....

Cheers
D

So what would you consider this method to be better
No Handle 2:53 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
D

So what would you consider this method to be better

Even if you never used the mixtape feature, the Bridge was still far better for integrating Ableton. Here's why:

• Ableton's clock would stay perfectly synced with Serato's beat grid all the time (no "nudging" required)

• You could load your Ableton Live set onto one of Serato's virtual decks

• Visual cues to help you line up the downbeat of your Serato deck with your Ableton live set

It's not even close, really. With the new method, you're just sending the mixer's MIDI beat clock to Ableton. It's not even synced, in the true sense.
S4racen 1:26 PM - 18 February, 2014
Which makes it better, you can nudge at will rather than being blindly locked into warping and beat grids...

Cheers
D
No Handle 2:19 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Which makes it better, you can nudge at will rather than being blindly locked into warping and beat grids...

Cheers
D

bit.ly
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:37 PM - 18 February, 2014
Ya.. for me having the nudge with the clock is way better than being locked with the Bridge. That way you can really lock in the right swing with your files coming from Ableton.
S4racen 7:01 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Ya.. for me having the nudge with the clock is way better than being locked with the Bridge. That way you can really lock in the right swing with your files coming from Ableton.

Its what i wanted from the bridge in the first place...

Cheers
D
No Handle 9:52 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Its what i wanted from the bridge in the first place...

Cheers
D

Why wouldn't you just adjust Ableton's MIDI Clock delay while using the Bridge? I'm just trying to understand where you guys are coming from.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:29 PM - 18 February, 2014
Because not all tracks have the same swing.

plus it would be a pain to have to adjust the clock delay in Ableton every time you needed to get the right swing.
Trinicapone 2:55 AM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
Because not all tracks have the same swing.

plus it would be a pain to have to adjust the clock delay in Ableton every time you needed to get the right swing.

Thats where I was going with it
dj-freestyle 5:18 PM - 21 February, 2014
Hey zach i have a 62 so not for me but can guys with the 61 use ableton or need 2 usb's like 62 or 64?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:33 PM - 21 February, 2014
They can use Ableton and SDJ on one computer but they would be restricted by the cpu.
dj-freestyle 7:46 PM - 21 February, 2014
so with serato dj open and ableton open it will show 61 in ableton?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:47 PM - 21 February, 2014
Yes.
Fl!ped 2:58 AM - 30 March, 2014
hi zach and others, interesting

i actually have the latest 2.21 rane 62 FW version, but I can't get the bridge plugin sound to come through, and I'm not really sure if it really starts playing (although it blinks), dragging the ableton on a deck doesn't seems to be starting to play neither... any hints ?

please, any news on the sp6 sync issue for DVS? where's the problem really?

and... or they or aren't they considering bringing the bridge back?
Fl!ped 2:59 AM - 30 March, 2014
ups, forgot to ask... should I maybe downgrade to another FW version for the 62? the one you mentioned in this thread?
Fl!ped 3:23 AM - 31 March, 2014
hi, ok thought I'd mention
Win 8.1 64bit, for Scratch Live with bridge you need to install Ableton Live 32bit vs
I tried putting Scratch Live in Win 7 compatibility mode and now I have my sound coming through the rane 62 ...
further checking will be done because a minor issue seems now i don't get my sp6 sounds (but with the bridge working that's minor)
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:16 PM - 31 March, 2014
Quote:
urther checking will be done because a minor issue seems now i don't get my sp6 sounds (but with the bridge working that's minor)

Make sure you have Aux selected as your output for the SP6 and that the Aux vol knob on the mixer is turned up and the filter for the Aux is set in the middle.