Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tips: SP-6 Sample Player in Serato DJ.

11:05 PM, 29 Dec 2013
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
UKSwagger 12:46 AM - 30 December, 2013
Why did you take away the M option from Scratch Live?? With SL2 I now can't use a sample whilst crossfading tracks ...
FighteRanger 1:12 AM - 30 December, 2013
Defiantly, bring back the master for the V7 too. I am so used to it and now I have to double tap my playing song to the select channel for the SP-6.
Chris Silver 2:10 AM - 30 December, 2013
Quote:
Why did you take away the M option from Scratch Live?? With SL2 I now can't use a sample whilst crossfading tracks ...

Maybe enable the player to select more than one channel? :)
DJ Lil Phil 2:51 AM - 30 December, 2013
And if we don't have a 3rd channel on our mixers? At least for me, I'm not going through my mic input!
DJ Lil Phil 2:52 AM - 30 December, 2013
Quote:

Maybe enable the player to select more than one channel? :)

At the very least, do that!
42deluxe 9:19 AM - 30 December, 2013
Quote:

With the SL3 neither if you use a mixer where the crossfader is exclusively assigned to one channel.

Not implementing the M option is weird! It makes the SP-6 unusable in certain scenarios.
Dj Kahle 11:56 AM - 30 December, 2013
It lags to bad, the first thing i wanted to do with it was load some hi hat kick snare combos for improvising and its to laggy. what a jip.

"sample player" covering their asses nicely.
DANE HYPE 10:14 PM - 30 December, 2013
please we need back the M button using an sl2 and its no fun the way it is right now because i use samples a lot when mixing
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:40 PM - 1 January, 2014
Hey everyone

We are currently working on a solution to the lack of an 'M' button for the Rane interfaces. Apologies for the inconvenience when using the current beta version of Serato DJ 1.6.

@Dj Kahle

Quote:
It lags to bad, the first thing i wanted to do with it was load some hi hat kick snare combos for improvising and its to laggy.

There shouldn't be any inherent latency with the SP-6 Sample Player. I would open a help thread at serato.com and one of the team will be able to help you troubleshoot your setup.

Aaron
Dj Revvyc 12:34 PM - 10 January, 2014
I LOVE IT!!!!
Disgraceland_UK 11:08 AM - 15 January, 2014
I've posted this as a feature suggestion... but Sample Crates please!!!! :)

Would be great to load 6 samples, at once, in a specific order with all their attributes set as I want them.

Would be great to be able to load all 4 banks at once, tbh
Chris Silver 3:27 AM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
I've posted this as a feature suggestion... but Sample Crates please!!!! :)

Would be great to load 6 samples, at once, in a specific order with all their attributes set as I want them.

Would be great to be able to load all 4 banks at once, tbh

omg this feature would be so great, people could actually create and share those crates for routines etc.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 6:18 AM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:

omg this feature would be so great, people could actually create and share those crates for routines etc.

Good point. Yes, I agree this is a good idea. I'll bring it up in discussions.

Cheers
Disgraceland_UK 11:36 AM - 20 January, 2014
Yay! :)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:39 PM - 20 January, 2014
I was just thinking about this and I wanted to make sure you guys know that you can 'multi-load' each bank of the SP-6...

What this means is that you can use the standard SHIFT + click to select a group of files and then drag and drop them onto the first slot of the sample bank. All six slots (or fewer if you wish) will then be populated. I generally use the Loopmasters sample packs included with Serato DJ, but sometimes load in other samples for specific tracks. If I want to go back to the original Loopmasters pack, I just open the subcrate, multi-select and then drop it into the first slot to load the whole bank.

The three extra things you guys are asking for are:

- being able to load a crate directly to the bank
- being able to load all four banks at the same time using one crate
- having your sample player settings save to the sample itself rather than being a default of the SP-6

I've passed this on to the Products team for consideration. No promises, but they will definitely think about it for future implementation.

Cheers
Aaron
Disgraceland_UK 8:48 PM - 20 January, 2014
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for that - to be honest, I didn't realise that you could drag multiple samples (probably should have really, as it does make sense).

The only thing that I would add to what you have put there, is the ability to view the sample settings in the crate and, if possible, edit them.

This would be useful as you could edit multiple values at once (i.e. loop mode, sync, etc) and also get an instant view as to how a bank is set up.

Anyway - thanks for listening!

J

P.S - If you could add full FX parameter control plus the ability to Serato Remote, that would be pretty cool. :) I have a Vestax 380 and it's frustrating not being able to control more than 1 FX, or all of the paramaters.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:57 PM - 20 January, 2014
No worries man.

Quote:
The only thing that I would add to what you have put there, is the ability to view the sample settings in the crate and, if possible, edit them.

Yes, this would be cool, but it would involve quite a re-jig of how things work. I'll put it forward, but this would be a lot less likely in the near future :)

Quote:
P.S - If you could add full FX parameter control plus the ability to Serato Remote, that would be pretty cool. :) I have a Vestax 380 and it's frustrating not being able to control more than 1 FX, or all of the paramaters.

Yeah, I hear you. It's definitely a challenge, the way the VCI-380 FX controls are not a great mapping match for Serato DJ. Unfortunately though, I would doubt full FX controls would be added to Serato Remote in order to help specific controller users. I will raise it though.

Thanks
Aaron
Pete Input 10:30 AM - 28 January, 2014
@Disgraceland_UK

With the VCI-380 you can use Multi FX 1 and Multi FX 2. If you want to use Multi FX 2 without the performance modes i.e. Cue, Slicer, Loop, Loop Roll, just push Loop Roll-mode 2 times and use the PAD number 2. It's not mapped to do anything in that mode, so you can use it just with the FX.
Pete Input 10:49 AM - 28 January, 2014
@ Aaron E

For the SP6, i want the sync to be like in ITCH, so it remembers the sync when switching the bank.
Now i have to put the sync's back on every time when i'm switching the bank. This is slow and annoying.

So, whatever you guys are going to do with the SP6 in the future, just don't forget that.

ps. More banks would be great.
Pete Input 10:54 AM - 28 January, 2014
Also SP6 could be SP8, maybe? :)
Disgraceland_UK 12:08 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
@Disgraceland_UK

With the VCI-380 you can use Multi FX 1 and Multi FX 2. If you want to use Multi FX 2 without the performance modes i.e. Cue, Slicer, Loop, Loop Roll, just push Loop Roll-mode 2 times and use the PAD number 2. It's not mapped to do anything in that mode, so you can use it just with the FX.

Yeah - I am aware of this. Problem is that it's not as sensitive as a knob and also you have to keep the pressure applied. I just don't find the pads useful for this sort of control.

Also, you can't swap the order around. e.g. I may want an HPF as the last FX in my chain, but to control it with the FX1 knob. Currently, if I wanted to chain 2 x FX, the pad has to control the 2nd FX.
Pete Input 4:28 PM - 28 January, 2014
@Disgraceland_UK

I can feel your pain... :)

My idea: (for the 3rd FX)

Shift + SCROLL to change the FX.
Push BEATS-knob to activate FX on.
Use TOUCHSTRIP to manipulate the FX dry / wet.

Now the BEATS-knob don't do anything when you push it, so it's free.
Same thing with the shift + SCROLL, i believe...
Touchstrip don't do anything too...

Also, PAD FX-knob do the same thing that BEATS-knob. They both change the beat parameter. Why is that?

How about if you change the 2nd FX, so the user can use the PAD's or the PAD FX-knob to manipulate the FX dry / wet?
It could be in the settings, so the user can choose witch one to use.

Oh.. and with shift + BEATS-knob you could switch between MULTI FX and SINGLE FX.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:22 AM - 30 January, 2014
Cool, thanks guys.

I've had some good chats so let's see what the future holds :)

Aaron
DJ Demolition 3:09 AM - 3 February, 2014
Quote:

The three extra things you guys are asking for are:

- being able to load a crate directly to the bank
- being able to load all four banks at the same time using one crate
- having your sample player settings save to the sample itself rather than being a default of the SP-6

I've passed this on to the Products team for consideration. No promises, but they will definitely think about it for future implementation.

Cheers
Aaron

While you're at it.., how about an auto sequencer on one of the slots, so that we can load multiple drops onto that sample deck, and have it sequence to the next drop each time it is activated?

I don't know about everyone else, but that would be very helpful to me.
Professor1 7:56 AM - 5 February, 2014
since the first release of Scratch Live i wondered why there wasn't a keyboard shortcut to change the sample banks between A and D???

every time i saw an update i thought that would be one of the additions, but yet to see it

at times it can hamper my performance because of having to use the keypad to switch the banks which can slow me down. especially if it's a one man show

at least with Scratch DJ, the bank buttons are much bigger to click on...but please consider the keyboard shortcut for this feature
No Handle 7:25 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
Cool, thanks guys.

I've had some good chats so let's see what the future holds :)

Aaron

Aaron - are you guys planning on bringing SP-6 sync to DVS systems like the Rane Sixty-Two? It's currently only available for controllers :-/
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:12 PM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Aaron - are you guys planning on bringing SP-6 sync to DVS systems like the Rane Sixty-Two? It's currently only available for controllers :-/

That's a big question I'm afraid. The only answer I can really give you at the moment is that this would require 'Smart Sync' for DVS. On this, we don't have announcements at this stage. Sorry to be vague, but that's the measure of it right now.

Cheers
Dj L-Biz 9:38 AM - 22 March, 2014
Aaron E

thank for mentioning the multiple load feature, makes so much sense, cant think why I never thought to try it very useful indeed :)

Quote:
It lags to bad, the first thing i wanted to do with it was load some hi hat kick snare combos for improvising and its to laggy. what a jip.

"sample player" covering their asses nicely.

Just s thought, and I'm sure you are doing this anyway but are you using cue points on your samples? & is the sample player slot set to play from 'cue 1' for example otherwise it may just be playing from the start of the audio file which may have some space at the beginning...

Serato, Support
Aaron E 7:57 PM - 23 March, 2014
No problem Dj L-Biz.

And good advice for how to make sure your samples are snappy :)
DJMELL 3:54 AM - 28 March, 2014
My sp-6 volume not working on my rane 62 with serato DJ . Every thing is updated including the firmware
boabmatic 1:57 PM - 28 March, 2014
are you taking about using the Aux volume Knob on the 62 to control the sample volume?

If so you need to set the SP6 output to Aux (SDJ default is Ch 1) good news is that once you set this it will always be remembered each time you open SDJ.
DJMELL 11:28 PM - 28 March, 2014
Thanks Boabmatic I'll try it when I get home
Fl!ped 6:49 PM - 29 March, 2014
Hi Aaron, I also need the sync when using my rane 62, what's the problem? especially when not having the bridge anymore (which I do need too btw)
+1000
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:55 PM - 30 March, 2014
Cool man, I'll pass it on.

Thanks boabmatic!
Tokin' Tone 9:27 PM - 7 April, 2014
How about cue listening options for the sampler ?
Also as you've mentioned above, the ability to load a sample 'set' with all the settings (pitches / volumes etc) saved into the 'set' would be great :)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:23 PM - 7 April, 2014
Quote:

Good call. I don't really know the technicals on this, but it doesn't sound too challenging to me. The main consideration is that it would need to fight for priority with all other feature requests and we haven't really had it asked for yet.

Maybe suggest it in the feature suggestions area and try gathering support to give us an indication of its popularity.

Cheers
Aaron
The Despicable Nyan Cat 7:55 PM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
@ Aaron E

For the SP6, i want the sync to be like in ITCH, so it remembers the sync when switching the bank.
Now i have to put the sync's back on every time when i'm switching the bank. This is slow and annoying.

So, whatever you guys are going to do with the SP6 in the future, just don't forget that.

+1
Tokin' Tone 8:14 PM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
@ Aaron E

+1

+2
Fl!ped 3:45 AM - 23 April, 2014
hi, still no sync for sp-6 on the rane 62 in 1.6.2? ./
Chris Silver 10:14 AM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Also as you've mentioned above, the ability to load a sample 'set' with all the settings (pitches / volumes etc) saved into the 'set' would be great :)

What hardware are you using?
I am using the SL4 and assign the SP-6 Sampler to channel 4 as output. From the soundcard I simply go to a free channel on the mixer I am using (mostly pioneer 4 channels in clubs). That way you can simply use the cue listening via the mixer

Hope this one helps
Tokin' Tone 6:29 PM - 7 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I am using the SL4 and assign the SP-6 Sampler to channel 4 as output. From the soundcard I simply go to a free channel on the mixer I am using (mostly pioneer 4 channels in clubs). That way you can simply use the cue listening via the mixer

Hope this one helps

I'm using twitch, so don't think that would be possible, I'll investigate, thanks
Chris Silver 12:30 PM - 14 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hope this one helps

I'm using twitch, so don't think that would be possible, I'll investigate, thanks

If you have a Song playing in Deck A you could use Deck B as output for your SP-6 and cue listen to Deck B. I am not familiar with the Twitch so I am not 100% sure if you can do it that way. I use that technique when I spin at home with my 2 channel mixer.
Tokin' Tone 1:23 PM - 14 May, 2014
Thanks, I don't think that will work on twitch, but will investigate. Actually the option of sending samples to one of the channels would be great, but I think this is probably a twitch limitation rather than serato.
DJ Demolition 1:43 AM - 15 May, 2014
I can't understand why anyone would need to preview their SP-6 samples on the fly. I have mine cut to length, named, and pre-cued before I even load them. I assumed that everyone else did it that way.

However, regarding the above discussion about whether or not one can pre-assign the SP-6 to channel A or B on the Twitch controller: Yes, you definitely can do that, and listen to your drops, clips, etc.., over the headphones, if that is what you desire.
AudioGuy 6:51 AM - 30 May, 2014
I just d/l'd the loopmasters free sample pack and I can't seem to figure how to get them into serato...

I am running Win7-64 and I am using an sl3 w/serato dj 1.6.1

Any help with this would be appreciated...
Tonno.g 10:01 AM - 16 March, 2015
SP-6 Sync for SL2 users???Some news??
is almost a year that we talk about, but still no news
Fl!ped 4:19 PM - 17 March, 2015
SP-6 Sync for 62 ? any news?
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:47 AM - 18 March, 2015
Hey guys

SP-6 Sync for DVS devices is part of a bigger project around Smart Sync for DVS itself (as we can't offer Sync for SP-6 and DVS until we resolve Smart Sync for DVS).

The best way to try and get more priority given to this is to drum up support in the Feature Suggestions area: serato.com

Cheers,
Aaron
just will 8:27 PM - 21 March, 2015
just wondering why everytime i turn of SDJ i lose my sp-6 sample and i have to reload them again ???
just wondering
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:41 AM - 23 March, 2015
Hey that doesn't sound good @just will

This could be happening for a number of reasons so it would be best to open a help request at support.serato.com so one of the team can troubleshoot with you.

Cheers,
Aaron
Chris Silver 3:28 AM - 14 April, 2015
Quote:
Hey guys

SP-6 Sync for DVS devices is part of a bigger project around Smart Sync for DVS itself (as we can't offer Sync for SP-6 and DVS until we resolve Smart Sync for DVS).

The best way to try and get more priority given to this is to drum up support in the Feature Suggestions area: serato.com

Cheers,
Aaron

Could it be possible to at least give us a more precise pitchcontrol so we can set the BPM manually in the SP-6 like we already have to do?
Tonno.g 7:43 AM - 14 April, 2015
Could it be possible to at least give us a more precise pitchcontrol so we can set the BPM manually in the SP-6 like we already have to do?

+10

SDJ 1.7.4 is out now, with no news for SP-6
Serato, Support
Aaron E 4:32 AM - 16 April, 2015
Not quite sure what you mean there Chris Silver - you can set the tempo of the sample to a very fine degree in the SP-6 using the + and - nudge buttons in the advanced view.

Let me know if/how these aren't working for you though and I'll look into it.

Cheers
Chris Silver 1:55 PM - 5 May, 2015
Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean there Chris Silver - you can set the tempo of the sample to a very fine degree in the SP-6 using the + and - nudge buttons in the advanced view.

Let me know if/how these aren't working for you though and I'll look into it.

Cheers

Hi Aaron,

With the + and - in advanced view you can "pitch bend" the samples but what I meant was the BPM value of the sample. E.g. a sample is set on 100 BPM. In advanced view i can use the small pitch fader to adjust the BPM value but only in 0,5% steps. With this I am able to adjust the BPM value to e.g. 100,50 BPM but it is impossible for me to set it e.g. to 100,25 BPM. This would be no problem if I was able to sync the BPM value to one of the decks in Serato DJ.
I am not able to pitch a 125 BPM sample to exactly 128 BPM because of the 0,5% steps
I hope I made the problem more clear now. :)

Cheers
Serato, Support
Aaron E 5:05 AM - 6 May, 2015
Ah yes, thought this might be what you were getting at.

Yes, when moved with the mouse, the slider only moves in 0.5% increments because it is so tiny and would be sketchy to use in smaller increments with a mouse. For reference, the main deck slider only moves in 0.2% increments as well (even though it's quite large).

Currently the best solutions are:

1. Sync for SP-6 (not now sorry)
2. Using control/command + click on the + and - nudge buttons (this gives you a permanent tempo change and very fine granularity, which becomes exponential as you hold them down. These buttons can be MIDI-mapped for this function)
3. MIDI mapping a knob to the slider (this also gives you very fine granularity)

Have a go with 2 and 3 (if you have a mappable MIDI controller) and let me know what you think. As I say, we are planning on doing some work in this area and we're keen on feedback around current limitations.

Cheers
Chris Silver 2:54 PM - 12 May, 2015
Thank you Aaaron,
option 2 works just fine. You have to press play on the sample though to make it work.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:47 AM - 13 May, 2015
Hey, great that works for you man.

Yeah, it would be cool to be able to adjust before pressing play. I guess the thinking is that you need to hear it playing to know if you are adjusting correctly. Hopefully there'll be a simpler solution before too long :)

Cheers
DJ Slash 6:32 AM - 21 July, 2015
Hi Aaron E
Is Any Way In Scratch Live 2.5 For Mac Use The Sampler SP-6 On Both Channels?
(Sample Player Does Not Output To Both Channels At Once)

Thanks!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:08 AM - 24 July, 2015
Hey DJ Slash

That depends on your hardware. Some devices have a 'mix' option (M) which will send the SP-6 output through the master rather than down one particular channel. What hardware are you using?

Aaron
DJ Slash 5:35 AM - 26 July, 2015
Rane SL4 With Two Turntables Reloop RP-8000
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:12 PM - 26 July, 2015
Ah okay.

Sorry, the SL4 has no 'Mix/Master' option with Scratch Live so the channels will always be independent (though you could route them both into Aux I guess, but this will give you mono).

We do however have this option in Serato DJ as the new mix architecture we have built will allow for it. You could give it a go in SDJ - it may be the thing that makes it worth switching over for you :)

Cheers
penny bling 10:52 PM - 9 November, 2015
Is there a short cut to switch through the sampler banks instead of clicking on each bank individually ???
The Despicable Nyan Cat 11:51 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
Is there a short cut to switch through the sampler banks instead of clicking on each bank individually ???

The only way is to map a midi device to control each bank button.
penny bling 12:00 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

The only way is to map a midi device to control each bank button.

they really need a quick keyboard shortcut for this ... its too time consuming when your dj - ing and u want to switch banks
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:34 AM - 10 November, 2015
Good point.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:43 AM - 10 November, 2015
What hardware are you guys using?

You could now of course re-map some of your controls to the SP-6 banks without having to have a third party MIDI device.

Cheers
penny bling 3:29 AM - 10 November, 2015
Quote:
What hardware are you guys using?

You could now of course re-map some of your controls to the SP-6 banks without having to have a third party MIDI device.

Cheers

in regards to those who use the internal mode it would be good to have a keyboard shortcut that allows you to toggle through the banks without having to go into the sp- 6 drop down menu and having to individually click on each bank when u want to make a switch from bank A to bank B and so forth.... eg a feature like...shift + a specific key which would in turn allow us to jump from bank A to B and so forth would be perfect...that's just an idea but it would allow us to do things more efficiently on the fly,and another thing... when u switch banks the sample being played is automatically cut off they need to fix that as well
Chris Silver 5:14 AM - 22 September, 2016
In May 2015 I asked about Sync for the Sample Player.
September 2016: Simple Synce AND 8 Slots for Samples.
Nice!!! Well done serato :)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:35 PM - 22 September, 2016
Cheers man, glad you like it :)
taywa2 8:16 PM - 30 November, 2017
@Aaron E
1. The ability to keep sync on is essential. Right now: I have to remember which midi button is to sync the sample I want, and it takes up 24 midi keys to do this! (4*8)
2. Sync should still allow different play thru modes. As of now sync only allows toggle on/off, so the sample plays until you hit the trigger key again. This means each and every sample has to be pre-edited to the correct length - a huge pain.
3. Add more banks: switching through cue points on the fly is also useless on the sampler, as it is. ... So if I have a song that has multiple samples, I have to click through settings, loop through cue points until I find the one I want. Alternative: it would be much easier to have more banks that we could rename, so I can say I need samples from "x" song instead of song "A".
4. Save all settings to each sample, not the the sample slot - this is, like, so crucial
5. Alternate to sync: allow a global TAP button for all samples in a bank.

Unfortunately, until these capabilities are added (especially #1), I will have to use another sampler.

Thanks!!
djjett 12:17 PM - 20 February, 2018
Is this possible with a Rane SL2?

M outputs directly to the Mix (Master) output of your Serato DJ hardware.

Thanx in advance!
Serato, Support
Kane D 9:37 PM - 20 February, 2018
Quote:
Is this possible with a Rane SL2?

M outputs directly to the Mix (Master) output of your Serato DJ hardware.

Thanx in advance!

Yes this is possible with the SL2.
Perceptron 3:28 PM - 28 June, 2018
I'd really like to use Sampler for mixing multiple layers of loops without taking up the main virtual decks since I want those allocated for playing tracks.

Unfortunately my experience has been inconsistent when trying to get the loops to sync up with each other and the tracks playing despite have my beat-grids spot on. This only seems to work half the time and I'm not sure whether I've not set it up correctly or whether the feature just isn't as well developed as I'd like it to be.

I agree with @taywa2 about the accessibility of switching between the saved markers in the sample (cues/loops markers). Too much clicking required.

In the Advance view mode I also feel the waveform display is too compact. This is most noticeable when using a full track in one of the sampler decks. Maybe a zoom option would be useful to focus in on the section of the track you want to loop.

Perhaps there could be a way of integrating the recently released 'Serato Sample' VST plugin within Serato DJ Pro?

I'm currently feeling that my best option for what I want to achieve is running Ableton in the background of Serato with 'Link'. This would be a more reliable option but I'd still prefer to have Serato further develop the usability of Serato Sampler