Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ 1.6 Beta No Midi Panel

Symplisitik 3:30 PM - 17 December, 2013
I do not see a drop down midi panel in Serato DJ 1.6 thus cutting in half what you can map to a midi controller. Am i missing something or can you no longer map the loop value select to a nob? deck loads? loop rolls? turn loop on/off? am i missing something or is this the way of now forcing ppl to actually purchase a 62 or ssx ect...

Sorry if i am repeating what someone else has already asked.

Thanks guys!
Dj MacMillz 3:54 PM - 17 December, 2013
Do you have a midi controller connected?
Is the controller/mixer/sl box connected also?
Symplisitik 4:02 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Do you have a midi controller connected?
Is the controller/mixer/sl box connected also?

Thanks for the reply,

Yes i have my midi controller connected and i have mapped everything i can with success. There just doesn't seem to be as many mappable options as in scratch live. There use to be a midi panel drop down after you selected the midi button. That panel had a large variety of mappable options that no longer seem to be available. ie library scroll knob, deck load buttons, knob to change loop selected value, turn loop on/off with 1 button after value selected with knob. And you use to be able to map the loop roll on/off to one button and move thru the value's with another knob creating build ups on the fly ect. :)
Dj MacMillz 4:04 PM - 17 December, 2013
Ah... I see and just checked around and yes it seems to be an issue or just simply left out. Hopefully by final release in Feb or maybe in a beta update we should get it back....
Symplisitik 4:28 PM - 17 December, 2013
Quote:
Ah... I see and just checked around and yes it seems to be an issue or just simply left out. Hopefully by final release in Feb or maybe in a beta update we should get it back....

Great! yea im not trying to sound like a complainer as i do realize this is the first stage of beta testing. Just something i had no idea about. Thanks for your help man!
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:33 AM - 18 December, 2013
Hi guys, yes the MIDI panel that was available in Scratch Live is not currently available in Serato DJ.

What are the main features from the MIDI panel that you need? What are your most common features to map?

Thanks for the feedback :)
TelosHedge 1:28 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
What are the main features from the MIDI panel that you need? What are your most common features to map?

The navigation features are crucial. Scrolling, tabbing, loading decks, and preparing tracks are at the top of my must have list.
djburnee 4:54 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The navigation features are crucial. Scrolling, tabbing, loading decks, and preparing tracks are at the top of my must have list.

and the Loops and Looprolls
riddla 6:02 PM - 18 December, 2013
We need back the midi panel from scratch live! I don't understand how you could remove it because it featured some of the most important features. :-(
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:29 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
We need back the midi panel from scratch live! I don't understand how you could remove it because it featured some of the most important features. :-(

They have not removed it! it just was never in sdj or any of them controlls to midi map. SDJ is just VERY VERY basic when midi mapping.

You need tgo to the feature request area and do a thread for adding all the midi options you need and want that was in ssl tobe put into SDJ.

But yes for everyone on the planet apart from Serato it was obvious SDJ would NEED every single feature of SSL from the get go of 1.6. That way everyone is happy and then you get the extra new toys sdj has.

Now sdj will be playing catchup to ssl for years. :-(
Symplisitik 2:33 AM - 19 December, 2013
and the Loops and Looprolls

+1
ryansupak 3:38 AM - 19 December, 2013
In SDJ 1.6 Beta, I personally miss:

- MIDI Mapping of Instant Doubles
- MIDI Mapping of Temp Cue Point (I would use this as an easy way to jump to the beginning of a track)
- An individual MIDI button for each of Abs/Rel/Int/Thru
- The fantastic new SSL MIDI Feedback feature

For my part I'll be sticking with SSL for at least 6 more months, it looks like. SDJ is pretty though.

rs
Wizzu 10:18 AM - 19 December, 2013
Where did you guys find SDJ 1.6 beta?
It doesn't seem to be available yet...
I guess I'm missing some piece of the puzzle when it comes to the beta versions? :confused:
Loominist 10:57 AM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Where did you guys find SDJ 1.6 beta?
It doesn't seem to be available yet...
I guess I'm missing some piece of the puzzle when it comes to the beta versions? :confused:

serato.com

at the end (of opening post) there is a list of attached files...

serato.com

and here the link for beta forum.
Wizzu 12:51 PM - 19 December, 2013
Aaaaaoooh, I see... thanks Loominist! :-)
Dokumentary 8:02 AM - 20 December, 2013
+1 for all functions that are currently available in SSL MIDI panel to be added to SDJ as well as MIDI out.
DJ Trice 10:39 AM - 20 December, 2013
Hi, here is my one:

In SSL (with Akai LPD8):

> i can map 3 DJ FX button on Channel 1 (where i have my hots Cues mapped)
> i also can map these same buttons DJ FX on Channel 2 of LPD8 (where i have my loops rolls mapped)

---> It's impossible in SDJ to midi map a same DJ FX on 2 channels of LPD8.
Marchino 3:35 PM - 20 December, 2013
the most important function for midi assign i think is the scroll.
Thanks!
Bobby B 4:07 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:
+1 for all functions that are currently available in SSL MIDI panel to be added to SDJ as well as MIDI out.

++1
jaycutt 5:44 AM - 25 December, 2013
Hello there, can i suggest that when the SDJ midi panel drops, that crate and track scrolling have separate midi mappable knobs in the software. Loved having separate knobs for these on my ttm57 and believe the separate knobs make for fast searching--rather than one midi knob and a midi tab button like in the midi panel in scratch live. One scrolling knob and a tab button is too many steps for searching ones entire library efficiently. Hopefully this will be doable with ease for the serato team. Thanks for reading
Dokumentary 10:40 PM - 26 December, 2013
Ok, so I just did my first practice set using 1.6 beta instead of SSL. My setup: 2 Technics, MIDI mixer, SL4 box.

I can now honestly say that I'm just about ready to make the switch. Serato just needs to get this functionality back into SDJ and I'm pretty much set.

Pretty much as soon as I can MIDI map the library functions (scroll, deck load, instant doubles, add to prepare, and auto-loop for push encoders) then I'm a convert.

For now I may try it with Serato Remote for these specific functions. I just hope that's not the overall plan/workaround. Cuz not everyone can afford a Rane Sixty-Four or an iPad.

Also wanna note that I didn't have any major issues or trouble with my hardware or software so it looks like you guys are on the right track. Thanks Serato!
Dokumentary 10:43 PM - 26 December, 2013
^^^^ No major issues except that I can't use my Vestax VCI-380 as a MIDI mixer anymore like I did in SSL so, that kinda sucks. Although it was never really an elegant setup to begin with. I guess I'll hit up Craigslist for a used Pioneer DJM-T1 or Kontrol Z2 until I can afford a Sixty-Two/Four.
Jensen Määäm 11:09 PM - 26 December, 2013
Quote:
Hi guys, yes the MIDI panel that was available in Scratch Live is not currently available in Serato DJ.

How long is currently? MIDI mapping in SDJ is an essential if you are coming from SSL and have an Rane Soundcard + a MIDI controller on the side.
What the heck is wrong with Serato? Why are you guys not talking about things like that, when you are announcing DVS support for SDJ. That's an very important information!
Why should somebody make the switch from SSL to SDJ, when he can't do a MIDI mapping on the MIDI controller he was using with SSL? That is plain and simple removing a lot of good things an SSL user had. Or do you just want to help Pioneer to sell that SP1 controller?
I have an Traktor X1 and I use it with SSL for cue points, loops, scrolling through crates and songs, loading tracks, SP6 sample player, effects,...
djburnee 3:12 AM - 27 December, 2013
Quote:

How long is currently? MIDI mapping in SDJ is an essential if you are coming from SSL and have an Rane Soundcard + a MIDI controller on the side.
What the heck is wrong with Serato? Why are you guys not talking about things like that, when you are announcing DVS support for SDJ. That's an very important information!
Why should somebody make the switch from SSL to SDJ, when he can't do a MIDI mapping on the MIDI controller he was using with SSL? That is plain and simple removing a lot of good things an SSL user had. Or do you just want to help Pioneer to sell that SP1 controller?
I have an Traktor X1 and I use it with SSL for cue points, loops, scrolling through crates and songs, loading tracks, SP6 sample player, effects,...

+1
DJ Trice 8:32 AM - 27 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I told that since SDJ came out: we want same functions like in SSL: we will see new functions later ! For me at this time, SSL is stronger for professional use !
+1
DJ Trice 8:33 AM - 27 December, 2013
I hope than i will can say in febrary 2014 that SDJ is better, but for now it's not
Dokumentary 4:55 PM - 28 December, 2013
+1 if you wanna see this thread on page 1 of the forum (bump) until this functionality is enabled.
VDJ D-RoCk 2:14 PM - 29 December, 2013
I miss for the denon sc3900 the led feedback for all buttons, scroll function, cant mapp the autoloop function, cant mapp to delet the cue points with the shift clear button.

also when ssl mapping includet to sdj, it was perfect
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:33 AM - 30 December, 2013
Hi Jensen Määäm
Quote:

You can still MIDI map in Serato DJ. It's the MIDI 'panel' we are talking about.

Quote:
Why should somebody make the switch from SSL to SDJ, when he can't do a MIDI mapping on the MIDI controller he was using with SSL?

He can. You can still MIDI map in Serato DJ. You can even import your saved MIDI .xml template from Scratch Live.

Quote:
I have an Traktor X1 and I use it with SSL for cue points,

You still can.

Quote:
loops,

Yup, this too.

Quote:
scrolling through crates and songs,

This is currently being looked at, but unfortunately at the moment you can only "scroll" using your main controller (if applicable).

Quote:
SP6 sample player, effects,...

You still can.

I understand there are a few features from the Scratch Live MIDI panel that are very helpful, and we are looking at getting more Scratch Live features into Serato DJ, however at this stage we dont have a timeframe as to when these will be available.

You dont have to worry about trying to convince us that your workflow is hindered due to missing features, we totally understand that, we are just trying to order our updates by priority. Hopefully we can implement some kind of Serato DJ MIDI panel in the future :)

Also, this is the 1.6 beta. If you guys have feedback and feature suggestions for the 1.6 final release you should be posting them in the 1.6 beta area, that is where we would order the priority of future updates. You are more likely to see you chosen feature made available by posting in the 1.6 area or feature suggestions, as opposed to a general discussion thread..

Thanks for the feedback guys!
Dokumentary 9:02 AM - 30 December, 2013
Thanks for the response. Hopefully this will be an easy feature to implement from a GUI standpoint since it doesn't take up any screen real estate while playing. It only needs to be visible when the MIDI button is activated. Also, the code is already written for SSL so it shouldn't be too difficult for the Devs to port it over to SDJ.

I, for one, would be very pleased to see this implemented in the RC version of 1.6. It's the only thing holding me back from making the switch at this point.

Here are some links to threads currently in the 1.6 Beta area of this forum. Scott S is right. The mods are looking at everything on these forums but, I'm sure the Devs are primarily focused on the 1.6 Beta section right now. Bump these threads or start new ones if you need these features ASAP.

MIDI Panel thread: serato.com
MIDI Out thread: serato.com
Futureboy 4:14 PM - 30 December, 2013
Ideally I would like to see full midi control of sp6 & instant doubles in order that I can remix tracks on the fly using the looping features of the sp6 without having to use the mouse or touch the laptop.
Even in Scratch live this wasn't really possible (easily) using midi inputs alone, and I think it would be a genuine evolution in terms of the functionality of the software.
trayE 1:52 PM - 3 January, 2014
I have the Pioneer DJM-T1 and I can't map scroll, loop, loop roll which are half of the funtions ! Also in the final release.. midi out please :-) I have all that in SSL 2.5..
Dub-Se7en 8:46 PM - 3 January, 2014
the midi panel is crucial. without i cannot load tracks, scroll and load tracks without reaching out and interacting with the laptop, something i do as little as possible if i can help it!

please make it a priority for us ssl migrators!
DJ Little Nemo 5:20 PM - 28 January, 2014
+ 1 to all what is said, the MIDI panel is crucial.

The Serato Remote App isn't really well-designed (so far) for the library browsing.

I use Stanton SCS.3d da scratch for that (browse, prepare track, load track), and i can't use it anymore with Serato DJ 1.6 !
My old MIDI presets doesn't work neither.

Please add this feature for ex-SSL users.
DJ BIG DADDY 10:03 AM - 31 January, 2014
+1 for instant doubles if you use 1 turntable then its a must with the dicers.
robxbl69 8:19 PM - 1 February, 2014
Will the release version of 1.6 have the midi panel? I'm really liking SDJ, but miss being and to navigate and load tracks user the dicers.
deejdave 10:01 PM - 1 February, 2014
Only time will tell because Serato sure wont.They don't release info like that prior to release.
trayE 3:03 AM - 2 February, 2014
We'll have to wait for a future release. 1.6 is a no no for the midi panel.
graintable 4:21 PM - 3 February, 2014
MIDI for Library scroll pleeeeeez
oldskool71 7:44 AM - 4 February, 2014
MIDI for INSTANT DOUBLES plus 1
boy broken 8:17 AM - 4 February, 2014
Oh my god. it would never have occurred after all this time and money serato has been putting into serato dj that its not fully midi mappable!!.

+1 for scroll
+loop
etc. a

you know, the common sense
bman 9:00 AM - 4 February, 2014
I've only just loaded sdj and what's missing midi panel I instant double all the time off dicers, having to go to the keypad on my Mac takes to long, I'm glade I'm not the only one who thinks this. One of your best features taken out, like taking a turbo off a car.
Is this going to be sorted ?
Pulla 2:43 PM - 4 February, 2014
well, i'm testin the SDJ 1.6 and i reaaallly miss the midi assign to scroll in library and load tracks.... I use dicers and can't do without it...
Let us know if you plan to add this or not in the next release please.
FOTSBEATS2 4:17 PM - 4 February, 2014
+1000 for midi mapping of REL and Internal Mode as well as library navigation and temporary cue.
Futureboy 4:37 PM - 4 February, 2014
We need to put a comprehensive list together with exactly what we want in terms of midi control.

- Return of the midi panel
- Midi mapping of REL & Internal Mode
- Midi Library navigation/Scrolling
- Midi instant doubles
- Ability to load tracks to SP6 via midi ( Essential for live remixing etc..)
- Midi out

Please add....
trayE 4:40 PM - 4 February, 2014
You can map rel/int mode. It's on the same button. Press it once to go to REL, press it again to go to INT.
Futureboy 4:43 PM - 4 February, 2014
Thanks mate will remove rel/int playmode from list.

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out

Please add....
lazy soul 4:45 PM - 4 February, 2014
+1 on everything posted here :/
trayE 4:46 PM - 4 February, 2014
No problem :) Also, library navigation and instant doubles are a part of the midi panel,

So I would say:

- Midi panel
- Midi out
trayE 4:47 PM - 4 February, 2014
I don't really use the SP6, so I copied your suggestion :-)
Futureboy 4:52 PM - 4 February, 2014
Thanks lazy soul + TrayE this is good, we really need to make sure the guys at Serato know exactly what we want from SDJ

- Midi panel (includes ibrary navigation and instant doubles )
- Midi out

Please add....
lazy soul 4:56 PM - 4 February, 2014
also a more accurate Drop to Absolute Position is a necessary improvement .
grylls88 7:30 PM - 4 February, 2014
Library navigation and track select is an absolute must!
nick the funk 8:46 PM - 4 February, 2014
I can't believe they released the official 1.6 without the midi panel!!! Unfortunately serato dj won't be for me yet... What a strange business decision from serato and a real shame for user like me.
Dokumentary 7:22 AM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Thanks mate will remove rel/int playmode from list.

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out

Please add....

Most important ASAP:
Everything ^^^^ as well as
+ Auto-Loop Select (encoders)
+ Auto Loop
+ Loop Roll
+ Add to Prepare

Also would be cool to have:
+ Cue Point Tab & Loop Tap (make these MIDI assignable or make a toggle button that is MIDI assignable in the MIDI Panel
+ 5 buttons for views (Vertical, Horizontal, Extended, Stack, & Library) or 2 buttons (up and down) to scroll between views.
+ a MIDI assignable button to Toggle between waveform view & Library view (spacebar)

Also would be cool hypothetically and simple to enable but not a necessity. (for me at least):
- Move playhead through Track Overview Display using a touchstrip or fader.

This action would be similar to when you press the trackpad down and slide your finger up and down. Except it will be controlled by a touchstrip or an unused fader instead. This way any controller can have this functionality. Doesn't have to be too sophisticated either. Simple 0 (beginning of track) to 127 (end) regardless of the length of the track.

But please implement the basics first. Thx.
Dokumentary 7:28 AM - 5 February, 2014
I think the Track Overview touchstrip would be especially cool for people who use iPad MIDI editors like TouchOSC or MIDI Designer because you can drop a touchstrip or a long fader anywhere you like in your workflow.

Again, this would be great but not a top priority.
hiddenite 9:33 AM - 5 February, 2014
+1 to everything
Marv Incredible 10:55 AM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
+1 to everything
Futureboy 11:48 AM - 5 February, 2014
Thanks dokumentary,
Updated midi request list

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto-Loop Select (encoders)
- Auto Loop
- Loop Roll
- Add to Prepare

Can anyone else think I anything essential midi functions they would like to see implemented?
DJ Double V 12:38 PM - 5 February, 2014
As most of you I was quite disappointed that the Midi panel functions as well as other features where removed from Serato DJ 1.6. I dont agree with action as most of us have a midi device that we can use to control SSL as an aid to move away from the laptop keyboard shortcuts.
If this decision was made by Serato to push sales of their own midi devices like DDj-SP1 or Serato Remote, then I will continue on SSL until the essential we are missing are reintroduced in to Serato DJ.

So +1 to everything mentioned above.
OlliC 12:39 PM - 5 February, 2014
As someone mentioned above: Two Encoders for Library navigation.
One for Crate Scroll and one for Tracklist Scroll. Makes for sense if you have a controller
like the Xone K2. Maybe also the Tab-Button so that you have the choice.

I think the Loop Roll function is replaced by the Slip Mode. So if Slip Mode is on
and you make an Auto Loop it is actually a Loop Roll. So i think you can remove Loop Roll
from the list since Slip Mode is Midi Mappable.

- Two Encoders for Crate-/Library-Navigation
Futureboy 12:48 PM - 5 February, 2014
Thanks Oli C and double V

- Midi Library navigation/Scrolling (- Two Encoders for Crate-/Library-Navigation)
- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Can anyone else think I anything essential midi functions they would like to see implemented?
OlliC 1:23 PM - 5 February, 2014
- Toggle Library view (spacebar)
DJ Yaitanis 2:08 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Thanks dokumentary,

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Loop Roll
- Add to Prepare

-Dont forget Load Song (1-4)

Futureboy 2:13 PM - 5 February, 2014
Thanks Oli & DJ Yaitanis, would be nice to hear something back from Serato on the likelihood(or potential timeframe) of this sort of midi functionality coming to SDJ, for a lot of us it is the evolution required to allow us to transfer our workflow from SSL to SDJ and ideally make SDJ a better piece of DJ software than SSL was.

- Midi Library navigation/Scrolling/Song loading (- Two Encoders for Crate-/Library-Navigation)
- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Can anyone else think of any other essential midi functions they would like to see implemented?
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:16 PM - 5 February, 2014
- To be able to midi map every single button on the GUI of SDJ! And in the Setup Screen!
deejdave 2:21 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
As most of you I was quite disappointed that the Midi panel functions as well as other features where removed from Serato DJ 1.6. I dont agree with action as most of us have a midi device that we can use to control SSL as an aid to move away from the laptop keyboard shortcuts.
If this decision was made by Serato to push sales of their own midi devices like DDj-SP1 or Serato Remote, then I will continue on SSL until the essential we are missing are reintroduced in to Serato DJ.

As all of you I AGREE that these features SHOULD be included BUT let us not get confused by thinking SDJ 1.6 all of the sudden removed the midi panel. It just simply was NOT brought over to Serato DJ since day one. This is one thing but making it sound like an update brought the removal of a key feature is misleading.

Carry on though these are all great ideas. More control = more power = more creativity = less boundaries!!!
OlliC 2:47 PM - 5 February, 2014
One more thing. In SSL you could use special Red Hammer Codes in the XML to
map a Shift button to delete Cue Points. This was not a very handy way to do it.

So this is something that could be made better in SDJ.

If you have mapped all 8 Cue Points you simply dont want to map another 8 buttons
only to delete them. This would be done with the Shift Delete button.

- Shift button to delete Cue Points
DJ Yaitanis 3:05 PM - 5 February, 2014

As all of you I AGREE that these features SHOULD be included BUT let us not get confused by thinking SDJ 1.6 all of the sudden removed the midi panel. It just simply was NOT brought over to Serato DJ since day one. This is one thing but making it sound like an update brought the removal of a key feature is misleading.

Carry on though these are all great ideas. More control = more power = more creativity = less boundaries!!!

In using my Pioneer DJM T1 I am dead and need to Keep Using Scratch which works perfect.

It is a shame that nice features are not included in Scratch but that is another story all together.

Hopefully now the the date has passed for supported hardware committed to those perspective companies development can focus on things we all would like to have to move forward ourselves.

Great Ideas!!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:23 PM - 5 February, 2014
I Agree midi controlls for all the buttons on the sdj gui should be midi mappable with MIDI OUT.

But if you do want a supported MIDI Accessory these are what there is to choose from.

Pionner SP-1 - www.pioneer.eu

Denon DN-HC1000s - www.dm-pro.eu

Vestax VFX-1 - serato.com

Numark NSFX - www.numark.com

Novation - Dicer - uk.novationmusic.com

Serato Remote - ipad/iphone - serato.com
djcalio 4:25 PM - 5 February, 2014
You know a lot of us have lots of money invested in our serato setups ….. and really love your software and support where you are trying to go with it as far as merging scratch live/serato dj….. but you must not change the features that a lot of us are used to having/using….. virtual dj upgrades same features/ traktor upgrades …same features….. and buy serato being king of them all you would expect them too…… I'm actually in process of saving for a rane 62 mixer but i also am very used to the midi panel as i use it with me denon dns 3700s …. we have to get the midi panel back ….or just stop merging the software
deejdave 5:08 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
You know a lot of us have lots of money invested in our serato setups ….. and really love your software and support where you are trying to go with it as far as merging scratch live/serato dj….. but you must not change the features that a lot of us are used to having/using….. virtual dj upgrades same features/ traktor upgrades …same features….. and buy serato being king of them all you would expect them too…… I'm actually in process of saving for a rane 62 mixer but i also am very used to the midi panel as i use it with me denon dns 3700s …. we have to get the midi panel back ….or just stop merging the software

Keep in mind the 3700's will not be offering Hybrid either with SDJ. I DO understand where you are coming from but I think a huge point is being lost this is NOT a SSL upgrade. What you are comparing is the same as when SSL had an update. Unless you think Traktor Pro is ANYTHING like Traktor DJ....................... They're not even for the same platforms. With virtual DJ ther's not much to compare as it's all the same.

They released Serato DJ to have some familiarity but if they wanted it to be THE SAME as SSL they wouldn't have decided to can it and just updated it. NOW this is one of the features I feel is 100% necessary but let's not get the thought in our heads that everything should be the same.
Dokumentary 5:52 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
I Agree midi controlls for all the buttons on the sdj gui should be midi mappable with MIDI OUT.

But if you do want a supported MIDI Accessory these are what there is to choose from.

Pionner SP-1 - www.pioneer.eu

Denon DN-HC1000s - www.dm-pro.eu

Vestax VFX-1 - serato.com

Numark NSFX - www.numark.com

Novation - Dicer - uk.novationmusic.com

Serato Remote - ipad/iphone - serato.com

Ok, now somebody make a list of all the hardware that would also be "supported" if SDJ simply added the MIDI Panel... It would be several hundred probably.
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:55 PM - 5 February, 2014
Get +1ing in the feature area! ---> serato.com
DJ Yaitanis 6:07 PM - 5 February, 2014
You got it!
DJ Double V 6:10 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:

In using my Pioneer DJM T1 I am dead and need to Keep Using Scratch which works perfect.

It is a shame that nice features are not included in Scratch but that is another story all together.

Hopefully now the the date has passed for supported hardware committed to those perspective companies development can focus on things we all would like to have to move forward ourselves.

Great Ideas!!!

As Yaitanis I too am stuck on my next mixer choices as I wanted to keep my SL3 and purchase a DJM-T1 to make my workflow more efficient, but now the waiting game till we hear back from our Serato team.
Dokumentary 6:13 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
As Yaitanis I too am stuck on my next mixer choices as I wanted to keep my SL3 and purchase a DJM-T1 to make my workflow more efficient, but now the waiting game till we hear back from our Serato team.

DJM-T1 would be awesome with SDJ and NI has the Kontrol Z2 on sale again as well. Both would be dope with SDJ. Just need MIDI Panel and MIDI out!!!!
Dokumentary 6:41 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Thanks Oli & DJ Yaitanis, would be nice to hear something back from Serato on the likelihood(or potential timeframe) of this sort of midi functionality coming to SDJ, for a lot of us it is the evolution required to allow us to transfer our workflow from SSL to SDJ and ideally make SDJ a better piece of DJ software than SSL was.

- Midi Library navigation/Scrolling/Song loading (- Two Encoders for Crate-/Library-Navigation)
- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Can anyone else think of any other essential midi functions they would like to see implemented?

- Shift/Layer buttons

Like in ME. www.inklen.com
So you can re-map cues and other stuff on different layers. OR
You can map more than one function to the same trigger. ex: click an encoder for Loop / Shift+click the same encoder for Loop Roll.
Futureboy 6:57 PM - 5 February, 2014
Looks like a lot of us are passionate about midi implementation in SDJ, I think we all get the point about SDJ not being a direct upgrade from SSL and we appreciate that. However considering that there are no plans to keep upgrading SSL, SDJ appears to be the future and turntablists and people who extensively use midi in their setup want to make sure that their voices are heard too.

- Midi instant doubles
- Ability to load tracks/loops/cue points to SP6 via midi ( Essential for live remixing etc..)
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare
- Shift/Layer buttons e.g click an encoder for Loop / Shift+click the same encoder for Loop Roll.

DJ Yaitanis 7:42 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:

It appears to be apparent that Serato Development is willing to listen to our request as revealed above.

Let's finish the list quickly so that we can get what we like (and need) as soon as possible.
Futureboy 7:47 PM - 5 February, 2014
Well said Yaitanis, would be interesting to also hear some suggestions for midi that might not even have been in SSL, maybe some midi features users may have seen and liked in in Traktor

- Midi instant doubles
- Ability to load tracks/loops/cue points to SP6 via midi ( Essential for live remixing etc..)
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare
- Shift/Layer buttons e.g click an encoder for Loop / Shift+click the same encoder for Loop Roll.

DJ Yaitanis 7:48 PM - 5 February, 2014
Here is my wish list in no particular order, I would just like it all :)))

SECTION 1 - FX
ON & Knob: Turns the single effect on or off and controls parameters
SHIFT: Knob acts as the pitch slider. INT mode only.
1,2,& 3 & Knobs: Turns group fx 1,2,or 3 on and off and controls parameters

SECTION 2 - TRANSPORT
A & B: Loads Deck A or B with highlighted track.
SHIFT: Instant Double to Deck A or B
Browse Knob: Allows you to browse between your crates and tracks. Pressing knob toggles between crate tab and track tab
Play/Pause: Plays or pauses Deck A or B.
SHIFT: Switches Deck A or B to Relative Mode
CUE: Switches Deck A or B to internal mode.
SHIFT: Switches Deck A or B to Absolute mode
FX1 AND FX2: FX1 assigns the left FX zone to Deck A or B. FX2 assigns the right FX zone to A or B.
SHIFT: FX1 and FX2 are used as pitch bend buttons for Decks A or B on INT mode.
SYNC: Left sync button opens the SP-6 Tab, Right sync button opens the Effects Tab.
SHIFT: Left sync button switches to vertical mode, Right sync button switches to horizontal mode.
SECTION 3 - LOOP
Auto Loop knob: Turning knob left selects smaller loop sizes, turning right selects larger loop sizes.
pressing knob activates selected loop on Deck A or B.
SECTION 4 - SAMPLER (ACCESSED ON EITHER SIDE USING "SELECT" UNDER LOOP KNOB)
1-4: Left side plays sample 1, 2, 3, or 4, right side switches between Sample Banks A, B, C, or D.
ACTIVE: Left side plays sample 5, right side sets the sampler output to left and right channels (SL2)
SECTION 5 - HOT CUES
1-4: Sets or plays hot cues 1, 2, 3, or 4 on Deck A or B.
SHIFT: Deletes hot cues 1, 2, 3, or 4 on Deck A or B
ACTIVE: Loop rolls by selected loop size on Deck A or B.
SECTION 6 - SNAP BUTTON
SNAP: Brings up setup menu.
DJ Double V 8:10 PM - 5 February, 2014
Here is my wish list:

Track strip search: allow to jump around the track with push of button or encoder and can stay in quantize with song.
Loop knob: turn on and off loop with push of encoder and selectable loop sizes by turning the encoder.
Midi mappable Crossfader adjustment from sharp to smooth for on the fly adjustments of your crossfader.
djcalio 10:15 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Keep in mind the 3700's will not be offering Hybrid either with SDJ. I DO understand where you are coming from but I think a huge point is being lost this is NOT a SSL upgrade. What you are comparing is the same as when SSL had an update. Unless you think Traktor Pro is ANYTHING like Traktor DJ....................... They're not even for the same platforms. With virtual DJ ther's not much to compare as it's all the same.

They released Serato DJ to have some familiarity but if they wanted it to be THE SAME as SSL they wouldn't have decided to can it and just updated it. NOW this is one of the features I feel is 100% necessary but let's not get the thought in our heads that everything should be the same.

the hybrid midi function DOES work with serato dj , i usually make my own mapper so i can scroll , load decks set loops, etc , as a user of all three softwares, serato, traktor, vdj, all of them are good …i just prefer serato over the rest, I've came quite used to creating my own mappings , with sdj 1.6 you can create you own mapper , just not as good as you cold in ssl, i do also have an ns7 with serato dj on it, but controllers just are not respected by the industry yet every concert i have done they want cdjs, or 1200s, a lot of them bring their own dj's to the event even if you are the headline dj….. so therefore serato needs the midi panel or i just will not be switching until i have the money for the rand 62, 68 etc!!
rediamfull@hotmail.com 10:42 PM - 5 February, 2014
I can't believe that SDJ 1.6 haven't Midi panel ,I have a Denon HC-1000 I cant set a 3rd deck of Sl3 as in Scratch live,,,, no load track, I cant use Library, no loops,,,,,,please Midi panel,,,,,is basic and functional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
deejdave 11:21 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
I can't believe that SDJ 1.6 haven't Midi panel ,I have a Denon HC-1000 I cant set a 3rd deck of Sl3 as in Scratch live,,,, no load track, I cant use Library, no loops,,,,,,please Midi panel,,,,,is basic and functional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you saying that even though HC-1000 is native (after 1.6 update) you can't load with it?
deejdave 11:58 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
the hybrid midi function DOES work with serato dj

I don't have them so I wouldn't know but it seems every other person with any Denon players are asking for Serato DJ support. I was under the impression no Denon player had Hybrid midi support yet.

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

Are people literally just upset that there is no mapping available for them? Setting your own custom mapping is not hard to do by any means on any midi mappable device.

Quote:
i do also have an ns7 with serato dj on it, but controllers just are not respected by the industry yet every concert i have done they want cdjs, or 1200s

Now while i completely agree with you it is surprising coming from someone with Denon's as many people think the same of Denon players. I used to uuse Denon religiously but after a horrible experience with DN-S3500's I will never use them again. I personally don't care either way and say to each his own but it certainly does seem like a double standard. When looking at certain controllers like the Pioneer DDJ-SZ, DDJ-SZ & Numark NS7II I wouldn't even dare mention all the capabilities you gain.r. Not quite as many (only by maybe one or two) as using a Pioneer CDJ-2000Nexus/SRT/Rane64 setup using Serato DJ but certainly more than Denon players & mixer using Serato DJ. Not trying to offedn you but more curious as to your angle. Have you used any of the advanced controllers?

I have and use regularly:
CDJ-2000Nexus's x 2
DJM-900SRT
DDJ-SP1
Rane 64
DDJ-SX
Serato Remote
Serato Remote Mini
Traktor Kontrol X1

and TBH I am wondering if all this is going to change when my DDJ-SZ comes in. I paid just under $10,000 for all that stuff and it seems it may all be replaced by a unit I got for $1750 out the door. Literally!! I am not 100% because I need Traktor & Rekordbox. The SZ will probably end up getting the SZ treatment as the SX did but definitely not Rekordbox. I also lose my Wi-Fi features that I use pretty often with my CDJ-2000 Nexus's....................... you get the point.

Anyway sorry to go off track but the whole point was to maybe open your perspective. I recently opened my mind a little as I was a true Pioneer DJ believer and wanted to see/hear nothing but. I am now looking into possibly making the SZ my primary.................. who would've guessed? I'm just sayin you gave Denon a chance so I would NOT think controllers would be the cutoff point for pro gear.
hiddenite 12:08 AM - 6 February, 2014
Not trying to step on anyones toes here or open a double thread etc... but shouldn't we open this in the Serato DJ 1.6 suggestion area? Say copy the following list from earlier:

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

It seems there's plenty of support for these items, and I'd love to see them implemented as well. Just want to make sure this information is in the right place being seen by the right people?
hiddenite 1:06 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

I went ahead and posted the list in that thread as well.
DJ Yaitanis 1:43 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Hi Jensen Määäm
Quote:

You can still MIDI map in Serato DJ. It's the MIDI 'panel' we are talking about.

Quote:
Why should somebody make the switch from SSL to SDJ, when he can't do a MIDI mapping on the MIDI controller he was using with SSL?

He can. You can still MIDI map in Serato DJ. You can even import your saved MIDI .xml template from Scratch Live.

Quote:
I have an Traktor X1 and I use it with SSL for cue points,

You still can.

Again I wanted to reiterate that Serato has committed to Midi they want to know what we want so stop your belly aiking and read the post and tell them what you want!

Quote:
loops,

Yup, this too.

Quote:
scrolling through crates and songs,

This is currently being looked at, but unfortunately at the moment you can only "scroll" using your main controller (if applicable).

Quote:
SP6 sample player, effects,...

You still can.

I understand there are a few features from the Scratch Live MIDI panel that are very helpful, and we are looking at getting more Scratch Live features into Serato DJ, however at this stage we dont have a timeframe as to when these will be available.

You dont have to worry about trying to convince us that your workflow is hindered due to missing features, we totally understand that, we are just trying to order our updates by priority. Hopefully we can implement some kind of Serato DJ MIDI panel in the future :)

Also, this is the 1.6 beta. If you guys have feedback and feature suggestions for the 1.6 final release you should be posting them in the 1.6 beta area, that is where we would order the priority of future updates. You are more likely to see you chosen feature made available by posting in the 1.6 area or feature suggestions, as opposed to a general discussion thread..

Thanks for the feedback guys!
deejdave 1:44 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Not trying to step on anyones toes here or open a double thread etc... but shouldn't we open this in the Serato DJ 1.6 suggestion area? Say copy the following list from earlier:

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

It seems there's plenty of support for these items, and I'd love to see them implemented as well. Just want to make sure this information is in the right place being seen by the right people?

Probably not. That was for topics with 1.6 prior to release. They can't exactly change Serato DJ 1.6 anymore as it has been released. The next update would be 1.6.1 or something of that nature.
Dokumentary 1:49 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

That's not the full list. It's just what Futureboy has picked and chose from what people are suggesting. Also, this is a thread about SDJ 1.6 not having MIDI Panel. (like in SSL).
- Not a feature request thread
- Not for Serato's "white knights" to come and defend them or pretend they know what the development schedule looks like. [You know who you (2) are).
- Not a list of other things from SSL you want implemented. (feature requests)
- Not (another) thread where deejdave brags about how much gear he has and how much he's spent on it. (fucking tedious dude). Everything you own has the ability to load tracks already.

This is essentially where people come when they have a MIDI mixer or secondary controller that they realize cannot be fully utilized until Serato implements the MIDI Panel in SDJ. It's a message of urgency from us to them and it's working! Not a place to dick each other down! nh

So, when you realize that you can't make the switch from SSL to SDJ yet because of one simple omission (MIDI Panel), get in here, add a +1, and pitch a bitch! That's what this is for.

Quote:

And of course find one of the many MIDI feature request threads and +1 in there too.
trayE 1:59 AM - 6 February, 2014
I suppose by now, Serato are fully aware of the midi panel problem. I hope they do implement it in the next version. :-)
Dokumentary 2:06 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
I suppose by now, Serato are fully aware of the midi panel problem. I hope they do implement it in the next version. :-)

They've acknowledged it in this very thread. IMO, this type of communication from them puts Serato on a whole 'nother level of customer service than most companies. They've pretty much always responded to threads that get big enough to catch their attention. It's now about trying to make them understand the urgency.
hiddenite 2:27 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Probably not. That was for topics with 1.6 prior to release. They can't exactly change Serato DJ 1.6 anymore as it has been released. The next update would be 1.6.1 or something of that nature.

I just meant the Serato DJ feature suggestion section vs the general discussion section, not necessarily just 1.6... sorry for the confusion.
dj_soo 2:45 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
You can map rel/int mode. It's on the same button. Press it once to go to REL, press it again to go to INT.

you can and you can't - there are a few controls in DJ that seem to only respond to mapping in NOTE mode as opposed to TOGGLE that most 3rd party midi controllers default to. You have to go into a midi editor and switch it for it to work.

Same goes for the censor button, the loop length buttons, the FX/SP6 buttons and a few others.
trayE 3:03 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

you can and you can't - there are a few controls in DJ that seem to only respond to mapping in NOTE mode as opposed to TOGGLE that most 3rd party midi controllers default to. You have to go into a midi editor and switch it for it to work.

Same goes for the censor button, the loop length buttons, the FX/SP6 buttons and a few others.

Well, I did that on my Pioneer DJM-T1 and Denon SC2000, it works fine on both.
trayE 3:13 AM - 6 February, 2014
Not loop length, but the others - no problem. You can set the loop length at one value, but you can't change it.
trayE 3:15 AM - 6 February, 2014
And both of my controllers (the DJM-T1 and SC2000) don't have any editors. They are just plug and play. Or plug and assign midi :-)
Futureboy 11:35 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I too was having difficulty mapping int/rel/abs on my X1 midi controlller
A_Jack 12:08 PM - 6 February, 2014
MIDI - thats the most important thing for SDJ now, all else can wait.

Just a few more improvements and SDJ will be so good that I won't even bother opening up Traktor anymore.

Serato developers please try to make SDJ midi-mapping options flexible and efficient. Midi is such an important aspect in all audio software now that having it right will definitely bring a lot more users to Serato.
rediamfull@hotmail.com 9:47 AM - 7 February, 2014
Denon HC1000 is native and pug play....channel 1 control deck 1 and deck 2, channel 2 control fx , channel 3 control FX and sp-6.....but my problem is I cant assign function to channel 4 to AUX(3 deck)........in Scratch live with MIDI Panel I assigned Functions to buttons up,down, left, right , knob rotatory to moved in my library and do loops, load tracks ,,,,in SDJ no. Now I control funtions to 4 cannel(3deck) with my mac......slow and no functionally !!!!!!!!!Of moment I return Scrath Live,,,,,Amazing that Serato announcing the change after so many months make this error!
drpage80 2:45 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:

I have just set up using SL3 and the lack of midi map panel is a pain for me too. I like to navigate my tunes and folders an load them to the decks via dicers so as to not be hunched over a laptop screen and the lack of this functionality means i'm gonna have to stick with SSL.

Also I was under the impression PnT was a free expansion pack, or is this wishful thinking?
The pitching in serato DJ is nowhere near as good as SSL

Otherwise Love everything

Cheers
Futureboy 3:02 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I have just set up using SL3 and the lack of midi map panel is a pain for me too. I like to navigate my tunes and folders an load them to the decks via dicers so as to not be hunched over a laptop screen and the lack of this functionality means i'm gonna have to stick with SSL.

Also I was under the impression PnT was a free expansion pack, or is this wishful thinking?
The pitching in serato DJ is nowhere near as good as SSL

Otherwise Love everything

Cheers

Yes lots of other people are echoing your views and hopefully Serato will officially address the issue soon, as for pitch and time no it is not a free fx pack, however they have made the wolf fx pack available for free download.
AndreaRiello 3:11 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

++1

+1
DJ Yaitanis 12:27 AM - 8 February, 2014
have we heard from Serato Development yet?
nik39 12:53 AM - 8 February, 2014
MIDI is coming, that's what they have said already a few times.
musiclee 6:11 PM - 8 February, 2014
WHY are we listing what we would like MIDI-mappable, or our must-haves?

Why not make EVERYTHING midi-mappable ???
nik39 6:59 PM - 8 February, 2014
Because everything is not always everything.
Dokumentary 7:24 PM - 8 February, 2014
Quote:
Because everything is not always everything.

Whoa... Nik the Nihilist. He is infinitely wise. Watchwww.youtube.com
D. J. Shawn Quick 1:26 AM - 9 February, 2014
When I'm not lugging around my Rane 62 & 1200's or Denon sc3900's I take my Vestax VCI 380 & I'm requesting Midi Mapping the FX. I use the knob for my Combo filter & need to Midi Map one of the buttons on the 380 to activate Echo. Also I need the 2 FX knobs to be Midi Mappable for the FX.
Dj Nyce 2:21 AM - 9 February, 2014
every control and every command possible should be midi mappable. as new controls and new commands get added, they should be midi mappable.

everything should be midi mappable!!!

and while you're at it we need some shift modifiers and a more robust midi out.
Ducho 10:18 AM - 9 February, 2014
+1
Marv Incredible 1:28 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:

THIS. THIS. THIS. ALL DAY ERRY DAY.

MOAR!! I WANT MOAR!!
DJ Yaitanis 1:47 PM - 9 February, 2014
Does anyone know when this is coming out played last night and I am still sore from all the hard work! DJing with a mouse won't cut it!
Blackie Lox 1:49 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
MIDI - thats the most important thing for SDJ now, all else can wait.

Just a few more improvements and SDJ will be so good that I won't even bother opening up Traktor anymore.

Serato developers please try to make SDJ midi-mapping options flexible and efficient. Midi is such an important aspect in all audio software now that having it right will definitely bring a lot more users to Serato.

Quote:
every control and every command possible should be midi mappable. as new controls and new commands get added, they should be midi mappable.

everything should be midi mappable!!!

+1

This is the main reason I use Traktor in my audio only gigs. If I were able to PROPERLY map all of my gear and not be limited to what you guys "natively support", I'd upgrade to SDJ. This includes colour LED's and MIDI Clock Send as well.
Dan Bain 7:40 PM - 9 February, 2014
Serato,

I was just ecstatic that the last update for SSL, finally provided proper light feedback for midi controllers. I mapped the three color coded layers of my Xone K2 to perfectly to augment my workflow, which is mostly driven by decks in Relative Mode and supplemented by occasional Internal mixing and vinyl.

When Serato DJ 1.6 dropped, I quickly tried to integrate, but was majorly disappointed to find I could not come close to the functionality of my SSL midi mapping in Serato DJ.

So, I am back to using SSL until the features noted by everyone else are implemented into Serato DJ.

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Thanks to provide support on these items, so those of us affected by these missing features can maker the jump to Serato DJ.

Best,
-d
TeeDawg 2:56 AM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Serato,

I was just ecstatic that the last update for SSL, finally provided proper light feedback for midi controllers. I mapped the three color coded layers of my Xone K2 to perfectly to augment my workflow, which is mostly driven by decks in Relative Mode and supplemented by occasional Internal mixing and vinyl.

When Serato DJ 1.6 dropped, I quickly tried to integrate, but was majorly disappointed to find I could not come close to the functionality of my SSL midi mapping in Serato DJ.

So, I am back to using SSL until the features noted by everyone else are implemented into Serato DJ.

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Thanks to provide support on these items, so those of us affected by these missing features can maker the jump to Serato DJ.

Best,
-d

+1000 000
GinSoul 11:11 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Serato,

- Midi instant doubles
- Midi out
- Auto Loop
- Add to Prepare

Best,
-d

+1000 000

+100000000000000000000000
Beluy 4:06 AM - 12 February, 2014
+1
adobos 11:48 AM - 12 February, 2014
+1 i thought the missing midi panel was just
No Handle 9:13 PM - 12 February, 2014
PLEASE bring the MIDI panel to SDJ. It's critical.
No Handle 9:15 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:

Ah, thank you sir.
DJ Yaitanis 9:47 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, thank you sir.

When???
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:57 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
When???

We are working on improving the MIDI functionality with Serato DJ. We are aware there are some features missing that were in Scratch Live (eg. the MIDI panel).

A timeframe on these updates is unavailable right now, and at this stage we do not have any further information about when these will be implemented, but we are aware of the request for this and have prioritized it accordingly.

Kind regards
DJ Yaitanis 10:18 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
When???

We are working on improving the MIDI functionality with Serato DJ. We are aware there are some features missing that were in Scratch Live (eg. the MIDI panel).

A timeframe on these updates is unavailable right now, and at this stage we do not have any further information about when these will be implemented, but we are aware of the request for this and have prioritized it accordingly.

Kind regards

Scott,

Thank you for letting us know, Please provide any status that you might have.
Dan Bain 10:32 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
When???

Kind regards

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the response.
I greatly appreciate that Serato has acknowledged the issue and will consider these features for future updates.

Side note: I just took a job in Houston tx and work in an office of 400 people. I just received a phone call from a random colleague asking "what I play".

She saw a Serato sticker on my car (the only one with MI plates) and decided to call me out.

Thanks Serato ;)
Futureboy 1:25 AM - 13 February, 2014
Thank you for the acknowledgement and the update Scott, much appreciated.
TeeDawg 1:34 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
When???

Kind regards

Cheers for the heads up Scotty S, much appreciated.

Reinstalling SSL now, sorry SDJ
DJ Yaitanis 11:20 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
When???

Kind regards

Cheers for the heads up Scotty S, much appreciated.

Reinstalling SSL now, sorry SDJ

Good by pitch and time
deejdave 8:39 PM - 13 February, 2014
Hello DDJ-SP1 & Serato Remote
Dokumentary 11:52 PM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Hello DDJ-SP1 & Serato Remote

DDj-SP1 $400

+

16gb iPad $499

+

Serato Remote for iPad $19.99

=

bit.ly
Futureboy 12:07 AM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
bit.ly

: )
icb 3:31 PM - 16 February, 2014
+1
Mr. Goodkat 9:20 PM - 19 February, 2014
I can map my x1, but only for cues 1-8, pitch, and efx with an x1.

anyone else had any luck outside of that?
No Handle 9:42 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
I can map my x1, but only for cues 1-8, pitch, and efx with an x1.

anyone else had any luck outside of that?

I've had no problem mapping it for auto-loop lengths, censor, play / pause (INT mode).

There does't appear to be a way to map it for sync, browse, auto-loop select, instant doubles, etc.
Mr. Goodkat 9:50 PM - 19 February, 2014
i cant get INT mode or auto loop lengths. ill retry. are you using an X1 by chance? i was thinking maybe it was something in the NI editor or does that even matter?
No Handle 9:54 PM - 19 February, 2014
Yes, using an X1. I'm using Serato DJ with a Rane Sixty-Two.

It might help to open the NI editor and make sure the buttons are mapped to "gate." The NI editor does matter, because it tells the buttons how to behave. If they are set incorrectly, they won't work properly for mapping in Serato. Typically if you set each button as a gate (as opposed to toggle) it works nicely.
Mr. Goodkat 10:07 PM - 19 February, 2014
thanks!!
Mr. Goodkat 10:13 PM - 19 February, 2014
so you are saying, if you have the loop premade, ala underneath the cues, you can use those?

I was trying to use the left bottom side of the x1 for cues 1-4 and left right side for loops 1/2,1,2,4. and im still not getting any reading from the x1 on just regular loops even if turn on gate in the NI editor.
No Handle 10:25 PM - 19 February, 2014
As of now, there's no way to select your saved loops using a MIDI controller (this was also part of the MIDI Panel, which is missing in Serato DJ).

But you should be able to map individual buttons to desired auto-loop lengths. I'm not with my setup at the moment but in the Controller Editor try Mode: Gate, Value: 66, Action on Down (I think). If that doesn't work, try some different settings.

What Serato hardware are you using?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 11:19 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
As of now, there's no way to select your saved loops using a MIDI controller (this was also part of the MIDI Panel, which is missing in Serato DJ).

Hi No Handle,

I think you may be able to achieve this by tabbing to the loops only tab (the loop icon below the cues/loops icon to the side of the cues area).

In the loops tab there is the manual loops section at the bottom and to the far right are tiny buttons that are midi-mappable.

Is this what you mean?
No Handle 2:43 AM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hi No Handle,

I think you may be able to achieve this by tabbing to the loops only tab (the loop icon below the cues/loops icon to the side of the cues area).

In the loops tab there is the manual loops section at the bottom and to the far right are tiny buttons that are midi-mappable.

Is this what you mean?

Phil - you're right! That's new to me. MIDI-mappable hot loops!

So, you still can't map loop select, but you can trigger your manual preset loops via MIDI.
Mr. Goodkat 5:48 PM - 20 February, 2014
ah, im using the 900 srt.
DJ-XL 9:36 PM - 5 March, 2014
MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR MIDI XML FILE BEFORE ATTEMPTING. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK.

If you guys are interested I found a way you can map the Instant Double feature on SDJ. You will have to edit the XML file manually and I will not be responsible if you mess up your MIDI XML by doing this so MAKE SURE YOU MAKE A COPY of the working XML before trying to add this

<control channel="x" event_type="Note On" control="xx">
<userio event="click">
<instant_double deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
<translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
</instant_double>
</userio>
</control>

For the FIRST line of XML is where you will have to fill in some blanks.
control channel=" " and control=" "
These variables are different for everyone and is dependent on the midi assignment and controller.
(What you can do is assign the button you want the instant double to be on, save a new XML and find out the MIDI buttons "control channel" and "control" variables)

For the THIRD line of XML is the deck_id="0" is the deck you want the instant double to be assigned too.
deck_id="0" - DECK 1
deck_id="1" - DECK 2
Mr. Goodkat 9:38 PM - 5 March, 2014
all that for instant doubles? thanks obama. i mean, thanks serato.
DJ-XL 9:41 PM - 5 March, 2014
Sorry about the double post... My internet is kinda flakey where I am.
Mr. Goodkat 9:43 PM - 5 March, 2014
work the loops and rolls please. hate to ask you to do what serato should have done. b
DJ-XL 10:01 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
work the loops and rolls please. hate to ask you to do what serato should have done. b

I tried the mapping the loop rolls. I can't figure out the right syntax for the loop rolls in the XML. It could be that they truly didn't program SDJ to accept loops rolls for mapping.

For the loops, you are referring to the saved loops or the just enabling a specific loop time (e.g. 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, etc)
Mr. Goodkat 10:23 PM - 5 March, 2014
yeah, it would be nice to map at least 1-2-4 bar loops.
DJ-XL 10:48 PM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:

Mr. Goodkat, those specific loop times are mappable within SDJ (tick on the MIDI button and assign the specific loop times. But if you want to do them manually here is the XML

<userio event="click">
<auto_loop_specific_length deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</auto_loop_specific_length>
</userio>
</control>

FIRST LINE
control channel=" " & control=" " is dependent on your MIDI controller

THIRD LINE
deck_id="0" - DECK 1
deck_id="1" - DECK 2
deck_id="2" - DECK 3
deck_id="3" - DECK 4

slot_id="0" - 1/32
slot_id="1" - 1/16
slot_id="2" - 1/8
slot_id="3" - 1/4
slot_id="4" - 1/2
slot_id="5" - 1
slot_id="6" - 2
slot_id="7" - 4
slot_id="8" - 8
slot_id="9" - 16
slot_id="10" - 32
DJ Yaitanis 7:39 PM - 13 March, 2014
Guys its almost like this think fell off the earth any updates???
Mr. Goodkat 8:17 PM - 20 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Mr. Goodkat, those specific loop times are mappable within SDJ (tick on the MIDI button and assign the specific loop times. But if you want to do them manually here is the XML

[u]
<auto_loop_specific_length deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
</auto_loop_specific_length>
</userio>
</control>

FIRST LINE
control channel=" " & control=" " is dependent on your MIDI controller

THIRD LINE
deck_id="0" - DECK 1
deck_id="1" - DECK 2
deck_id="2" - DECK 3
deck_id="3" - DECK 4

slot_id="0" - 1/32
slot_id="1" - 1/16
slot_id="2" - 1/8
slot_id="3" - 1/4
slot_id="4" - 1/2
slot_id="5" - 1
slot_id="6" - 2
slot_id="7" - 4
slot_id="8" - 8
slot_id="9" - 16
slot_id="10" - 32

hm havent been able to loop them. i wish it worked like it came stock with SSL. the rotaries were already encoded. could i grab that code from ssl in the xml file? im confuse.

serato just need to get midi for sdj at ssl level, which was pretty damn basic
DJ Yaitanis 10:02 AM - 22 March, 2014
Guys,

Has anyone heard anything about an update to Serato DJ 1.6 ?

All I keep hearing about is What's wrong? All you have to do is read about it in the posts and you can find out.

Today the DDJ SZ hit and I am hearing rumblings of issues.

Can we get a 1.61 date or something like that?
deejdave 3:53 PM - 22 March, 2014
They have never given a date for updates and never will. It is simply their policy. What we do know is some of the things to expect from the update.
No Handle 7:38 PM - 25 March, 2014
Well, 1.6.1 is here - no MIDI panel :(
trayE 8:54 PM - 25 March, 2014
Maybe in 1.7 next year ? Hehehe

When they do implement the midi panel, I'm still gonna wait for the midi out.. It's hard to go back once you are in your safe SSL 2.5 zone :-)
jepe 9:31 AM - 26 March, 2014
just installed SDj . i would need midi panel for:

Using with Kx1 and make the basics Kx1 functions that are very useful. or at least someone provide a Kx1 maping. i use manly
loop/ size
browse library and load deck
switch from absolute to relative
efx

hope somewhere in a near future mapping this would be available.
thanks
rediamfull@hotmail.com 7:39 AM - 27 March, 2014
New Serato DJ 1.6.1,,,,,,NO MIDI PANEL,,,,no comment!!!!!!
SiRocket 7:56 AM - 27 March, 2014
no instant double midi? and to top it off if i midi assign a cue point in a user bank (using nik's nifty dice tools) on the dicer, that cue point won't work on the dicer (cue) bank anymore… Any word on these items? :-/
nachomusic 5:20 PM - 28 March, 2014
Quote:
New Serato DJ 1.6.1,,,,,,NO MIDI PANEL,,,,no comment!!!!!!

+1
Djr3Mi 7:47 PM - 4 April, 2014
i just hope that we could transfer our midi config .xml from ssl to sdj and working as same as before. like the ssl.

:(
Mr. Goodkat 8:55 AM - 5 April, 2014
Quote:
i just hope that we could transfer our midi config .xml from ssl to sdj and working as same as before. like the ssl.

:(

that would be the ideal situation.
No Handle 1:28 AM - 23 April, 2014
1.6.2 is here - more controller support, no MIDI panel.
Jensen Määäm 8:21 AM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:

You gotta have priorities, right.
Beluy 10:36 AM - 23 April, 2014
+1
jprime 4:18 PM - 23 April, 2014
Can you map start/stop & track srubbing? IE; nudging a track / fast forward / backspin etc?
SiRocket 4:21 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

How do they expect people to stay patient with this shit??? This is a main reason why the software shouldn't have gone live to dvs users until 2015…. if you make something public and "final"…. and lag… it's not a good look at all.
wadup 5:19 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How do they expect people to stay patient with this shit??? This is a main reason why the software shouldn't have gone live to dvs users until 2015…. if you make something public and "final"…. and lag… it's not a good look at all.

I really don't see the issue here...Serato is not forcing any scratch live users to use Serato DJ, the last time a check scratch live is still working, people can still continue using it until SDJ have all the features that they feel is missing.
Mr. Goodkat 5:26 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I really don't see the issue here...Serato is not forcing any scratch live users to use Serato DJ, the last time a check scratch live is still working, people can still continue using it until SDJ have all the features that they feel is missing.

the issue is, you bought the car, but it didnt come with mats or rearview mirrors. and no timetable for when you are going to get them.
wadup 5:32 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the issue is, you bought the car, but it didnt come with mats or rearview mirrors. and no timetable for when you are going to get them.

So you bought this car but didn't check for any missing parts.....
SiRocket 5:35 PM - 23 April, 2014
What are we supposed to do when we aren't mobile dj's, don't dj at dive bars where we have to bring gear... etc... and some of our big room venues have gone and wasted money on a pio 900srt or a rane 64 where you can't use SSL??

Releasing a product that is missing important and essential features that were widely used in the product it's replacing is just fucking retarded....
Jensen Määäm 5:37 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That is correct, but Serato released a nice plug in called Pitch n time, guess what, just for SDJ, not for SSL, once you've tasted this, you are gonna miss it!
deejdave 6:54 PM - 23 April, 2014
The part I hate is Serato was nice enough (not dicks because of) to invite all the SSL users over early knowing FULL WELL that they would have issues up the wazoo (comes with the territory) as well as their version of the perfect software.
Quote:
This is a main reason why the software shouldn't have gone live to dvs users until 2015

Would you really be happier if they made you wait until the day SSL was no longer supported, is that what I am hearing?

We have questions like "Why isn't SDJ EXACTLY Like SSL" and "SSL had this why doesn't SDJ"?

Keep one HUGE factor in mind THIS is why they created a new app called SDJ instead of adding everything to SSL. SDJ Is NOT supposed to be SSL so the entire argument is invalid. That does not mean you can't request features you want or miss but simply because SSL had it does not suffice here. This is an attempt to move ahead. IF they wanted to stick with the old they would not have decided to put the kill on SSL.

Don't get me wrong SDJ still has much room for improvements and I completely agree about this whole midi panel suggestion it's just the reasoning we have gotten used to using. SDJ is what it is. Everyone here had every resource available to them. Serato even released a direct comparison chart to tell what will/won't be the same etc.

Bottom line SDJ is NOT SSL. It never will be. After much though I Myself have come to see this as a good thing. Pretty much the only thing I DEMAND stay the same is the stability SSL had. All else (for the most part) I am open to change. Just remember you can always go back to SSL at any point........................ even after 2015.
deejdave 6:57 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
That is correct, but Serato released a nice plug in called Pitch n time, guess what, just for SDJ, not for SSL, once you've tasted this, you are gonna miss it!

This is called weighing out your priorities. Which is more important to you? Again SDJ is NOT SSL so just because SSL had it does not hold any weight here. For the record we all know it's coming. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe there is a reason as opposed to them trying to piss people off.............
Jensen Määäm 7:08 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is called weighing out your priorities. Which is more important to you? Again SDJ is NOT SSL so just because SSL had it does not hold any weight here. For the record we all know it's coming. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe there is a reason as opposed to them trying to piss people off.............

Look, I'm in a situation where I have to use SDJ here and there with a controller, other than that I had no reasons to use it, but because SDJ still has no MIDI panel, I bit the bullet and got the SP1, now I want to sell my X1 which I was using with SSL, once this is sold there is no going back to SSL for me, because the SP1 is plug and play for SDJ and I bought Pitch N Time which is for SDJ only. To your other post: SSL was there before SDJ and both software were sharing the same library, does it make sense to you, when they merged the two software to change things you were used too in SSL and to take functions off?
Mr. Goodkat 7:23 PM - 23 April, 2014
deejay dave, step back from the serato cock for a sec.

you keep making statements as if they were true, when they arent. do i know the answers? no, im sway on this one, but

Quote:
Keep one HUGE factor in mind THIS is why they created a new app called SDJ instead of adding everything to SSL.

what is 'THIS'?

if it wasnt supposed to be very similar, why does it work in almost the exact same way. use the itunes library the same way, has the same midi button and same formula for midi programming. its supposed to be as step UP, all consumer goods that replace are supposed to at least be a step sideways. as far as i can tell the midi support is not there because of some preexisting agreement with pioneer to limit support for a 400$ midi controller. You can buy a DDJ SR for 600 new and a Sx for 6-800$ new.
Dj Nyce 8:14 PM - 23 April, 2014
sdj is the replacement for ssl plain and simple. but for it to replace ssl it should have all of the features of ssl. so they have until d-day to get all that shit in.

in the meantime it is quite annoying that simple things such as 100% midi mapping and cue points (reorder) are still missing from sdj. that should have been there from day 1.
deejdave 8:57 PM - 23 April, 2014
Quote:
deejay dave, step back from the serato cock for a sec.

you keep making statements as if they were true, when they arent. do i know the answers? no, im sway on this one, but

Quote:
Keep one HUGE factor in mind THIS is why they created a new app called SDJ instead of adding everything to SSL.

what is 'THIS'?

if it wasnt supposed to be very similar, why does it work in almost the exact same way. use the itunes library the same way, has the same midi button and same formula for midi programming. its supposed to be as step UP, all consumer goods that replace are supposed to at least be a step sideways. as far as i can tell the midi support is not there because of some preexisting agreement with pioneer to limit support for a 400$ midi controller. You can buy a DDJ SR for 600 new and a Sx for 6-800$ new.

The answers t all these questions are a little too obvious. It works similrary because they ONE would think the same people will be using it. It uses the same formulas............... because it is the same team ................... uhhhhh???.

BTW

Quote:
do i know the answers? no, im sway on this one, but

Quote:
as far as i can tell the midi support is not there because of some preexisting agreement with pioneer to limit support for a 400$ midi controller.

Kinda conflicting no? So you are saying this IS the reason? We're all sitting here wondering meanwhile you knew the whole time? Give me a break.

BTW maybe if you considered the fact that SDJ was created with controllers in mind .................... CONTROLLERS THAT HAVE THE FEATURE we are discussing built in............ MAYBE that could be the reason this was not thought of at first. Maybe SDJ was NOT built with DVS in mind at first and that could be the reason it wasn't thought through fully.

Again I agree certain features SHOULD have been and SHOULD BE implemented BUT I really don't care how many people say it. I am certain that SDJ is not supposed to be SSL. I mean common sense prevails here. I believe SSL 2.0 or SSLII or SSLMKII or SSL2 or SuperSSL................... I mean SOMETHING would be in order. What's the point in calling it something completely different if it should be the same exact product?

Look I am in no way saying this should have not been taken care of at this point. The ONE and ONLY thing I disagree with here is it being JUST LIKE SSL. Not for nothing I am glad it's not. I am hoping for some huge innovation and TBH weighing what is missing over what has been gained in the less than two years SDJ has been live I would gladly give it up forever. NOW I certainly hope this is not the case but the fact remains. All Serato Cocks aside (predictable BTW) they ARE doing a great job and I don't see that stopping anytime soon. I understand when YOU want something and it is not being taken care of right away it seems things are grim yet if you take a look at the big picture people are getting helped out every day and Serato is even personally inviting people who are complaining without actually looking to solve any issues by opening help requests etc. having issues to take a look at their case to help them out. Mr Goodkat can relate to this as he himself was personally invited to open a help request serato.com to look at his issue. He declined........... but the point is they are trying.

I do appreciate the need and want to better this software and I in NO WAY claim that it is perfect. I do suggest that we are all here on our own accord and for a reason. THAT reason for me is reliability, features, & hardware. If you find yourself running out of reasons perhaps other means should be explored. No need to get hostile BTW as just because two people do NOT agree does not mean they have to resort to obscenities or other lame means of defensiveness.

I NEVER claimed to know it all. Furthermore what may be right for me or others may NOT be right for all. THIS is the beauty of the forums. ALWAYS speak your mind. Don't slam me simply because I disagree. Use your resources & facts and I could potentially see things your way. All I know is this should have it because that has it NEVER holds up.
Futureboy 9:23 PM - 23 April, 2014
I think its time for DEEJDAVE vs Mr Goodkat. DEEJDAVE your weapon of choice will be your chosen controller and SDJ, Mr Goodkat you will be armed with SSL and whicheve additional equipment you deem fit. Mixes will be posted by 9am sharp GMT.

Let battle commence!
deejdave 9:32 PM - 23 April, 2014
Haha If only we had similar styles at all. I do electronic music which fall short in the "battle" arena. Haven't even had the tables out in like 2 months hence the lack of DVS testing on my end. I am in no way calling anyone out BTW. I like to just say it as it is. Literally welcoming all opinions along the way. What I am willing to challenge though is ANYTHING I have stated. If opinion that is one case but I do try to be careful when passing along anything that could be taken as fact.

BTW My chosen controller for SDJ is not a controller. It's my Nexus's with the SRT & SP1. Furthermore just out of curiosity how would him or I winning prove anything here? LOL
nik39 11:18 PM - 23 April, 2014
"deejay dave, step back from the serato cock for a sec."

He's got a very valid point here ;)
deejdave 11:28 PM - 23 April, 2014
Well he may have until you 2nd it. Now he's probably wrong by association;)

I always see how long it takes for me to get you to say "I stand corrected" etc. LOL

Listen I know I get defensive of Serato BUT I do try to use valid points. If not agreed by all that is fine. This does not change my views just as I don't expect to change any of yours. HOPE maybe but NOT expect. At the end of the day do I win? do I lose? NO. BUT luckilly I AM happy with Serato so good news there.

Let us NOT pretend that it was ALWAYS this way. I have had my issues with them too but they WERE fixed. I would be lying if I said they weren't and I have to assess things as I see them not as other say they are.
rediamfull@hotmail.com 10:25 PM - 24 April, 2014
SCRATCH LIVE FOREVER AND EVER,,,,,,,I DONT WAIT MIDI PANEL AFTER ,,,,,,,,ALONG TIME!!!!!!!
SiRocket 6:56 AM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
sdj is the replacement for ssl plain and simple. but for it to replace ssl it should have all of the features of ssl. so they have until d-day to get all that shit in.

in the meantime it is quite annoying that simple things such as 100% midi mapping and cue points (reorder) are still missing from sdj. that should have been there from day 1.

We can get annoyed that the incomplete software was forced upon us when venues are buying 900srt's and rane 64's and you are forced to play on SDJ only… Some of us aren't mobile dudes that travel around with a mixer on every plane ride ;) -- Not directed towards you Nyce!
molina1 3:17 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
What are we supposed to do when we aren't mobile dj's, don't dj at dive bars where we have to bring gear... etc... and some of our big room venues have gone and wasted money on a pio 900srt or a rane 64 where you can't use SSL??

Releasing a product that is missing important and essential features that were widely used in the product it's replacing is just fucking retarded....

Preach on, couldn't have said it better
studio17 1:56 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
but Serato released a nice plug in called Pitch n time

serato.com

youtu.be
studio17 2:00 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
once you've tasted this, you are gonna miss it!
studio17 2:03 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
sdj is the replacement for ssl plain and simple. but for it to replace ssl it should have all of the features of ssl
!
Alixx J 8:53 PM - 28 April, 2014
I fell for this ^^^ eagerly downloaded all the expansion packs and P'n'T (stupidly expecting MIDI to be in place), only to find I couldn't map a thing... Needless to say, I've not loaded SDJ up since, what a let down.
deejdave 10:02 PM - 28 April, 2014
Just out of curiosity why did you purchase all that stiif before knowing you were happy eith the software? Not judging just curious.
fu 1:40 PM - 29 April, 2014
Yes Alixx - i have done the same mistake.

I just had too much trust in serato.... Now i got the Problem.

Still using SSL cause for my Performance i am using the X1 for loading the next track as fast as possible into the decks etc.

I hope this will be fixed soon.

I have a lots of DJ-Friends using the same Setup + a lots of students (DJ School) using it...
deejdave 3:45 PM - 29 April, 2014
The X1 was (is) amazing and is my weapon of choice for SSL no doubt. That being said it falls short to the capabilities & control of the SP1. NOT saying you all MUST buy it nor am I saying the MIDI should not be a top priority. I am saying that just like the X1 the SP1 is one of the best purchases I have ever made with DJ gear.
djBern 7:33 PM - 29 April, 2014
quick question deejdave, will the SP1 allow me to navigate my library, load songs to decks, and instant-double with turntables and SL3? Or do I still need a SDJ controller to do all that?

Coz if it does, I might just buy one and replace my X1 with it.
Alixx J 7:48 PM - 29 April, 2014
Yes I'll hold my hands up and say I did go ahead and download it all before trying (as soon as it dropped for the SL3), I had no second thoughts that it would be missing something as vital as the MIDI panel... And like I said, schoolboy error on my part not looking further into it. But I do think that this is a massive feature that shouldn't be missing, especially on pro-grade DJ software. It's a limitation I'd expect in Serato intro, but not in their flagship software. P'n'T but no MIDI???
deejdave 8:46 PM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
quick question deejdave, will the SP1 allow me to navigate my library, load songs to decks, and instant-double with turntables and SL3? Or do I still need a SDJ controller to do all that?

Coz if it does, I might just buy one and replace my X1 with it.

The SP1 does all of the above. PLUS MUCH MORE!! It enables the slicer which if I had to guess will never be available no matter what midi controller you map yourself to it. It has independent controls over all FX and all parameters. It has independent volume for sampler and controls sampler, cue points, roll & slicer via the performance pads. Plus a few more independent controls.

Trust me I am not trying to sell you anything but I even had what was IMO the best midi controller for SSL (the X1) and am comparing it to that and the Denon which I had. Furthermore it has controls for the other two decks if you ever get a 4 channel interface.

I will e getting a second unit for when I am not using a controller and decide to use my SRT, 64 or SL4.

Lastly the price.......................... YES we can sit here and complain about the $400 or we can be realistic and do the research. I got mine brand new for $309 no tax no shipping. I can't share that price being there were referral bonuses involved BUT I can tell you where to go for an authorized Pioneer dealer selling it for $359 this very moment if you want one.
Jensen Määäm 9:49 PM - 29 April, 2014
Deejdave, it doesn't stop there, the SP1 has a horizontal layout compared to the vertical layout of the X1, that means you can't put the SP1 next to your mixer between the mixer and the turntable or CDJ. You need to put it on a stand above the mixer. You need a bag for the thing as well, if you want to bring itr to your gigs, that adds up (SP1, laptop stand, bag for the SP1, for me it was 460 Euros, that is steep!). No doubt the SP1 is good, but Serato takes too damn long to bring the MIDI panel to SDJ. We know it's coming, but they were acting like they didn't even know that the MIDI panel it's a must have and it put's them in a bad light, makes me believe holding back the MIDI panel for a while is part of the deal with Pioneer, so Pioneer can make a lot of money selling the by far most expensive MIDI add-on controller in the world, the SP1.
deejdave 11:42 PM - 29 April, 2014
Although obviously the last part is speculation only I agree (as I have stated multiple times) Serato is taking too long with this essential addition which should be there if DVS is there. In all honestly I feel the best resolution would have been to hold the DVS users off until a later date. Things would certainly be substantially smoother around here. Maybe even allow HID just not DVS yet. Too late though and DVS is here and so should be the midi panel.

That being said I had a stand (same one I use with RMX unit) but no bag. I put the unit in my laptop case along with my laptops (usually 3) and it all fits perfectly while all being protected. Many DJ's have gear stacked on gear and this situation is realistic for them as well. This brings my total for my SP1 to $309. My total for my X1 was actually very close being unlike the SP1 you really need the specific stand. The wider stance of the SP1 actually helps as a typical laptop stand, the RMX stand, typical CDJ stands, etc all work with it. Unlike the SP1 the kontrol series pretty much needs the custom stands. I actually used a block (painted black) I cut to height for a while but it did not have the desired stability. This brought my total for the X1 to around $275. (about $220 for the X1 and about $55 for the stand). Luckily I didn't need the case from N.I. Being that costs another $50.

I mean this could have been avoided but the point is the same argument applies. The only difference for me is the SP1 outperforms the X1 (for SDJ) so the $35 difference is irrelevant. Bottom line BOTH are great controllers and even further down the bottom line is the MIDI panel is a MUST and SHOULD be added ASAP. Would I have purchased the SP1 anyways....................... absolutely but I am the type of person who likes to try it all to get a feel for what works best for me. Frankly speaking the SP1 was paid for within 2 hrs. of DJing and less than a days work at my 9 to 5. WELL worth it for me. I am not here to sell any product or even an idea though as I fully agree there is no excuse for the lack of the further midi mapping.
SiRocket 6:36 AM - 30 April, 2014
who wants to carry a bulky controller and another laptop stand (especially if headlining) if they aren't using all of the features at a club gig and just want to use their custom dicer setup(s) with dicetools? I think i do more shit live than many of these guys do with their crazy midi setups and sp1's, etc :)
SiRocket 6:38 AM - 30 April, 2014
If it's for the sake of selling more pio controllers for the early months… serato will start getting more public wrath (unless signed to not say anything in contract)… from some of their pro users… serato know's their guys are peeved too.. ;)
Mr. Goodkat 6:13 PM - 30 April, 2014
the x1's case acts as a stand. you turn the case over and its a 'abracadabra' a stand. And if im not mistaken NI made the x1 template.

the x1 is the right size and the sp1 is not. if you got yours for 309 great, but im not seein anything under 359$, ive looked for the last couple months. not putting a 359$ midi controller with knobs, NOT in a case, its just waiting for disaster or repiair.

and really the slicer function is great for vids and performance djs, but resident 4 hour play, 'real dj'ing' that shit is pointless. Most people arent going to have extra laptop stands around, so that will be a cost for them. As ive found, bad laptop stands are a night mare, and even the most avs cost 30, but realistically, if you want a good one you are looking at 100$ minimum.

the crazy thing is that deejay dave cant understand that not everybody has 3 top of the line computers, and endless(apparently) money to spend on dj gear. Ive brought top 50 djs opened for hundreds of touring djs, and honestly, they rarely have the amount of dj gear you are talking about. DJ'ing is how some people make money, not a hobby that you throw money at to get the latest and greatest gear. Taking an option off the board(or half of the option doesn't work) is ludicrous.
deejdave 7:43 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
the x1's case acts as a stand. you turn the case over and its a 'abracadabra' a stand. And if im not mistaken NI made the x1 template.

The template (which I mentioned) is the stand I have. This brings the controller to mixer level. The softcase (which I mentioned as well so no magic here) is a great case but as a stand it is actually less stable than the block of wood I used to use. At least you confirmed that there is pretty much no options but N.I's options in terms of cases. With the SP1 chances are you have a stand sitting around that will work.

Quote:
the x1 is the right size and the sp1 is not.

Right size for what? Or who? Who decides this? You?

Quote:
and really the slicer function is great for vids and performance djs, but resident 4 hour play, 'real dj'ing' that shit is pointless.

You keep telling yourself that. I don't make performance videos. I have done the resident DJ thing as well as "performance DJ" thing as you call it and I have found much use for the slicer. This sounds to me like you are having trouble finding practical uses for it or placement which is understandable.
Quote:
if you got yours for 309 great, but im not seein anything under 359$, ive looked for the last couple months.

I suppose when reading the statement "I got mine brand new for $309 no tax no shipping. I can't share that price being there were referral bonuses involved BUT I can tell you where to go for an authorized Pioneer dealer selling it for $359 this very moment if you want one." the "referral bonuses" was not specific enough furthermore I myself quoted the $359 so no news here either.

Quote:
NOT in a case, its just waiting for disaster or repiair.

"I put the unit in my laptop case along with my laptops (usually 3) and it all fits perfectly while all being protected." I would think has "protection" written all over it. It is in it's own dedicated padded pocket made of the same reinforced nylon as the N.I. softshell case is made of so no news here either.

The entire end of your statement can be answered simply by having a job. Unfortunately you can't see past the point that I am in no way trying to sell anything or say this is the ONLY or even BEST option. I can say it has been the best option for me and unfortunately you have no say in that. I do happen to have the X1 to compare it to as well so great news there.

Quote:
the crazy thing is that deejay dave cant understand that not everybody has 3 top of the line computers, and endless(apparently) money to spend on dj gear.

I never try to shove the gear I have in anyone's face but I do state for disclosure purposes so someone can have guess that I have somewhat of an idea that I know what I am taking about. I guess "because I said so" works for others but not me.
For instance we are discussing the advantages/disadvantages of these two controllers.

I say BOTH are great with the SP1 having the edge over the X1. I have both.

You say the SP1 sucks and the X1 is supreme. You have the X1 only.

Make your assessment..........................
deejdave 7:50 PM - 30 April, 2014
And for the last time I guess I must remind this is in no way a replacement or a good excuse for not having the MIDI panel. The MIDI panel is a must and SHOULD be brought to SDJ ASAP and the software is crippled until this is a reality. The SP1 is merely an alternative/solution to consider IF you have the resources to obtain one. You generally see don't see actual owners of the SP1 saying anything negative and on the contrary have nothing but good things to say about it so let that be a helping guide as to its effectiveness. MAKE NO MISTAKE The gear does not make the DJ BUT it certainly does help.

This was merely supposed to be a quick suggestion NOT a distraction to the main point. MIDI please!!!
Mr. Goodkat 10:24 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
You say the SP1 sucks and the X1 is supreme.

i never said the sp1 sucks, i want one. the PRICE sucks for a non sound card midi controller, and the price has been relatively strong since it started. Most people want to buy from an established seller rather than go for the cheaper dealer. Returns and swap outs (if something was wrong, which happens) are obviously much easier in person.

Me personally, ill buy stuff from a Guitar Center parking lot for the right price, so im not trying to say i wouldn't exhaust all efforts in trying to obtain a cheap SP1. The price at one dealer has been around 359, but for most places(25 on google search) its 399$. I'm sure i could carve 10/15% off but still, price isnt worth the product.

Another big problem with spending 400$ on a controller like this is this guessing game as to whats coming out, whats not, what feature will work, what becomes obsolete with buying a controller that Pioneer may update next month or in 2 years.

They might put light up pads, an air horn effect and P-N-T buttons on the on the ddj-SP2, with a sound card and strip nudges in early 2015. (that would be cool minus the air horn part)

so bottom line, it sucks that you only can have one outboard midi controller(without soundcard) to use with SDJ.

last question: If you have a controller, do you have no midi panel at all? like you can click buttons and hover over an area and see midi instructions to tap pad or knob? I have an sl3 and 900 SRT, and i get the midi panel, and can map certain things(not loops or library scroll). Is this the same for all people, Controllers, no, MIxers and BOxes limited midi?
Dj Nyce 10:52 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

last question: If you have a controller, do you have no midi panel at all? like you can click buttons and hover over an area and see midi instructions to tap pad or knob? I have an sl3 and 900 SRT, and i get the midi panel, and can map certain things(not loops or library scroll). Is this the same for all people, Controllers, no, MIxers and BOxes limited midi?

regardless of what's plugged in sdj 1.6 has midi 101 midi mapping (no midi panel).
deejdave 11:39 PM - 30 April, 2014
Unfortunately this is the case. Truly sucks. The entire MIDI concept needs a serious overhaul in SDJ. I am truly hoping that the reason for delay includes

1.) Custom midi mappings for native devices
2.) Midi Out
3.) Midi panel
4.) Even further Midi mappings including some that are located within the setup menu. For example the Quantize dropdown menu should be accessible without going into menu and on the fly IMO.
5.) Midi mapping on offline mode highly unlikely BUT could be deadly in regards to editing. I'd even be happy with limited mappings (eg beat grid capabilities, etc.)

IF these all happen I would kind of forgive Serato a little bit. I don't hold any hostility towards them but that doesn't mean I agree with everything they are/aren't doing.

Quote:
Another big problem with spending 400$ on a controller like this is this guessing game as to whats coming out, whats not, what feature will work, what becomes obsolete with buying a controller that Pioneer may update next month or in 2 years.

Couldn't agree more. ESPECIALLY recently. Prior to purchasing the SRT I had asked Pioneer directly if I should be worried. Honestly if a month (or even a year) later I was welcomed with a DJM-2000SRT I would be a little bothered. As expected I couldn't get a straight answer and took the chance. While I don't see them releasing a DDJ-SP1 with the present differences available (pretty much only the color coded cue point pads) I fully believe that it wont take much more of a reason for them to do so. If they can find ANY reason to "justify" releasing a MKII they will find it.

Quote:
They might put light up pads, an air horn effect and P-N-T buttons on the on the ddj-SP2, with a sound card and strip nudges in early 2015. (that would be cool minus the air horn part)

NOW THIS ^^^^ would be a deadly weapon. A Pro controller minus jogs. Not looking to replace my controllers containing jogs BUT this would open up a whole new style of DJing as well as bring the portability to a whole new level. Just picture having a full fledged DJ set right in your seat on a flight to Miami!!
deejdave 11:43 PM - 30 April, 2014
In all honesty I see the price point of a controller you brought up (DDJ-SP2) being aroung $400-$500 so I do see your point with the price for the SP1 @ $400 being steep. In all honesty I got quoted the $359 a while back and it was not low enough for me to execute. It was only after being blessed with a referral's discount that I deemed it a little more reasonable.
djcrap 12:30 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
"deejay dave, step back from galloping the serato cock for a sec."

He's got a very valid point here ;)

Lmao motion seconded... +10000000

Nick39 do you still have that script you used on bezzle is posts seems dave just hit the lottery for that

Nm
Mr. Goodkat 2:53 AM - 1 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

regardless of what's plugged in sdj 1.6 has midi 101 midi mapping (no midi panel).

?
saeven 5:29 PM - 9 May, 2014
Serato-Team,

please give us back the Midi Panel that we are used to from Serato Scratch Live!
I would really love to use SDJ, but since there's still no Midi Panel in SDJ 1.6.2, I'll stay with Scratch Live.
I'm using Turntables + a mappable midi controller and I would love to have the scrolling through the library, loop rolls, ... with it in SDJ.
Alixx J 10:55 PM - 19 May, 2014
+1 I'm in the same boat
No Handle 12:20 AM - 20 May, 2014
SDJ 1.6.3 is here, still no sign of the MIDI panel.

This is really rough.
SiRocket 12:25 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:

This is really rough.

Did you expect anything less? lol
Mr. Goodkat 12:25 AM - 20 May, 2014
YOU AINT GETTIN NO MIDI PANEL BRO!! BUY A 400$ CONTROLLER!! OR SOME RELOOP TURNTABLES. YEAH THE ONES THAT JUST DROPPED THEY ALREADY HAVE A PATCH!! SORRY IF YOU CANT AFFORD IT!!!

:D
No Handle 12:29 AM - 20 May, 2014
EY BRO!! I ROLL MY OWN MAPPING Y'ERD? FEEL ME!!! CREATIVE DJS LIKE TO CUSTOMIZE Y'ALL FEEL ME SORRY BRO IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:30 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

This is really rough.

Did you expect anything less? lol

This is just a small update to fix some important bugs and add some minor changes. MIDI panel is coming as we've said - just in a more substantial update in the near future.

Sam.
SiRocket 12:31 AM - 20 May, 2014
the reloop mapping is a laughing stock (not their fault)… you still can't do custom maps to them and the track scrolling knob "ticks" aren't very reliable…

Shouts to serato for the hard work on the midi panel doe! lol
Mr. Goodkat 12:33 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
EY BRO!! I ROLL MY OWN MAPPING Y'ERD? FEEL ME!!! CREATIVE DJS LIKE TO CUSTOMIZE Y'ALL FEEL ME SORRY BRO IF YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND!!!

i couldnt help myself, only kidding. i wrote a whole review about the midi panel missing, its messing with my head, cuz i like to use SDJ with my SRT, and im pushing buttons a loops and nothing is happening. The other nite had to turn back to the house music 15 mins in, because i was using SDJ, and had to switch to SSL. ITS ridiculous.
No Handle 12:35 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i couldnt help myself, only kidding. i wrote a whole review about the midi panel missing, its messing with my head, cuz i like to use SDJ with my SRT, and im pushing buttons a loops and nothing is happening. The other nite had to turn back to the house music 15 mins in, because i was using SDJ, and had to switch to SSL. ITS ridiculous.

The truth comes out! You DO feel me bro
trayE 12:35 AM - 20 May, 2014
Sooo.. I'm guessing midi panel in 1.7 ?
trayE 12:39 AM - 20 May, 2014
And then midi out in 1.8 ? Ouch.. :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:41 AM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
And then midi out in 2.8 ? Ouch.. :)

Fixed ;-)
SiRocket 12:52 AM - 20 May, 2014
i say 2.9 will be the winner… maybe 3.4 :)

Stickersync will come in version 11.4.3
Dokumentary 7:37 PM - 20 May, 2014
Quote:
i say 2.9 will be the winner… maybe 3.4 :)

Stickersync will come in version 11.4.3

Haha... It's starting to look it's never gonna happen. It's already too late and I'm sure it's gonna be pretty half-assed if it ever does show up. No one believes Sam or anyone else anymore so I guess it's time to find another solution. Never thought I'd say it. At least SSL is still working ok for me but, I do want to try and keep up with the new features that are being introduced into the various DJ softwares. Seems pretty silly for a guy who has only ever used SSL (me) to now be looking for a non-Serato solution.
DJ Quartz 8:02 PM - 20 May, 2014
It's coming guys, trust me I was crippled by this too but worked around it for now.
hoover 8:25 PM - 20 May, 2014
Full midi mapping of everything please.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:28 PM - 20 May, 2014
We'd be silly to just never develop this. It's 100% coming in another update soon guys.

You can choose to believe me or not :)

sam.
SiRocket 12:55 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
We'd be silly to just never develop it. Stickersync is 100% coming in another update soon guys.

sam.

Awesome!
Mr. Goodkat 3:08 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:
We'd be silly to just never develop this. It's 100% coming in another update soon guys.

sam.

it was silly not to have it in the first place.
Dokumentary 6:02 AM - 21 May, 2014
Sorry Sam. We appreciate the feedback but, we've been hearing that MIDI panel is imminent since the 1.6 update. It's hard to say that it's "too late" but the people who need this feature for professional (paying) gigs have already moved on to another solution. It's been 6 months since Noisemap was implemented in SDJ. We've been told MIDI panel is coming and as recently as 3 weeks ago we've also been told it's not in the works at all.

serato.com

So what are we supposed to believe? All I can say is I'll be back whenever you guys get your act together with this software but, right now, I (and many others like me) need to be able to make the gear we already have do the things we need it to do. Pretty much every other DJ software can pull off this simple trick so, call me when Serato catches up...
SiRocket 8:05 AM - 21 May, 2014
the two different answers is def not a good look..... consistency is key.
kebzer 10:19 AM - 21 May, 2014
Quote:

Never thought I'd say it. At least SSL is still working ok for me but, I do want to try and keep up with the new features that are being introduced into the various DJ softwares. Seems pretty silly for a guy who has only ever used SSL (me) to now be looking for a non-Serato solution.

Amen!
DJ Quartz 2:01 PM - 21 May, 2014
@ Dokumentary,

I'm going to flat out say that is not accurate and not sure why a statement was made like that.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:53 PM - 21 May, 2014
In that particular thread Rui wasn't able to say whether it was coming or not at that time as it was in development and we couldn't accurately predict the timeline for it. He's also not really able to give that kind of info in his role. It is a little confusing I agree.

With development almost complete on this it's safe to say that it's coming in and update soon.

I know it's frustrating to not have something you had previously but we've been working hard to get this developed and fully tested and into a forthcoming release. We're just as keen to release this!

Sam.
DJ Quartz 1:24 AM - 22 May, 2014
Understood, not trying to pick on anyone. I just thought it would be more of a statement of we cannot comment on when that feature will be available would be made.

It's all sorted anyway, no harm done.
trayE 2:18 AM - 22 May, 2014
And is there any info on midi out? :-)
Alixx J 7:18 PM - 22 May, 2014
Great news! SDJ is sat redundant on my laptop until this drops...
Mr. Goodkat 4:18 AM - 23 May, 2014
finally went back to ssl full time, due to the midi mapping. I do not think SDJ is bad and i think it sounds a tiny better(much like SSL 2.5 its loudness is much greater than earlier ssl versions like 2.33), part of that is that the pnt plug is better. Last night i found my self having to do a quick transition in SSL and i was at +8 and it didn't really sound that bad.

SSL, to me, seems like a finished product, like 100% fully done.

SDJ is more like 65%. Im sure if i had the Sp1, it would make a huge difference, but my workflow just wouldn't be as efficient without my x1 as far as positioning and size go. Its only 3 inches wider than the X1 but the knobs would be out of position, so it would be awkward if i tried.

My bet is SDJ gets right in about a year, at the current pace of updates. I can wait a while, the more i got used to it, it was basically SSL with a black screen and blue letters.
DJ Quartz 4:53 AM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
SDJ is more like 65%. Im sure if i had the Sp1, it would make a huge difference,

Night and day difference....
kebzer 7:06 AM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
SDJ is more like 65%. Im sure if i had the Sp1, it would make a huge difference,

369,-
Mr. Goodkat 6:55 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

now the question is, should it have to take a 400$ controller to make a program work properly and to gain access to features, especially after you have to shell out 129$ or buy at least some sort of SDJ compliant hardware.
DJ Quartz 7:39 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:
now the question is, should it have to take a 400$ controller to make a program work properly and to gain access to features, especially after you have to shell out 129$ or buy at least some sort of SDJ compliant hardware.

Once the midi panel is implemented that will no longer be the case. It just happens to make a night and day difference because it's supported now.
GregMaDnoW 9:49 PM - 31 May, 2014
So... is there a shortcut to "instant double" a song to another deck ??
DJ Trice 11:06 AM - 2 June, 2014
Quote:
So... is there a shortcut to "instant double" a song to another deck ??

PC: CTRL+SHIFT+ "->" or "<-"

MAC: CMD+SHIFT+ "->" or "<-"
DJIYCE 11:27 PM - 19 June, 2014
I need a Midi out(for LED and chaining Software together), and the ability map put hot keys and shift keys, like in VDJ; In addition to the ability to map specific parameters to a button(ex button pressed and reverb 25% with a triplet lfo) like in Traktor.

These midi features are missing and are the only reason why Serato DJ is "1 of the best", and not The Best!

PS. thanks for adding video effects to the sound effects. Points!
trayE 11:14 PM - 4 August, 2014
Well, the midi panel is here! :) Now we wait on the midi out :D
oldskool71 12:01 AM - 5 August, 2014
Is the midi panel available now? Haven't used serato dj since I found out midi panel wasn't there
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:15 AM - 5 August, 2014
the 1.7 beta is available that has it in it but the offical release isn't till september,
oldskool71 12:16 AM - 5 August, 2014
Cool, thank u.
DJ Trice 5:48 AM - 5 August, 2014
hi all,

where can i get an invite for 1.7 ?
popnwave 5:56 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
hi all,

serato.com
Dokumentary 9:05 AM - 5 August, 2014
Now we just need MIDI out lighting and maybe some more in depth control of MIDI parameters. For instance, I can't get the library scroll to work properly for my VCI-380. Relative - signed bit is the closest to being right. It'll scroll down one by one but not up.

Also, the selected song stays in the middle as opposed to scrolling all the way down the screen and then jumping to the next screen of songs and scrolling down again. That's how I have it in SSL but it seems like SDJ keeps the selected song (highlighted in blue) right in the middle and the entire list scrolls.

note: this is happening even when the function is not selected/un-checked in the Library tab in the settings. Anyone else experiencing this? Thinking about starting a help request.
DJ Trice 9:40 AM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
hi all,

serato.com

Thanks for the link Popnwave
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:15 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
Now we just need MIDI out lighting and maybe some more in depth control of MIDI parameters. For instance, I can't get the library scroll to work properly for my VCI-380. Relative - signed bit is the closest to being right. It'll scroll down one by one but not up.

Also, the selected song stays in the middle as opposed to scrolling all the way down the screen and then jumping to the next screen of songs and scrolling down again. That's how I have it in SSL but it seems like SDJ keeps the selected song (highlighted in blue) right in the middle and the entire list scrolls.

note: this is happening even when the function is not selected/un-checked in the Library tab in the settings. Anyone else experiencing this? Thinking about starting a help request.

There's always something else to do :) MIDI out and advanced MIDI are both on our list and are of pretty high priority to us.

In terms of the scrolling issue - is that with the beta or with 1.6.3? If it's in the beta version, please post this feedback in the beta forum area so we can check it out.

Cheers,

Sam.
Rory Heath 7:11 PM - 5 August, 2014
haha. I was half expecting to see a Serato post in this forum that simply said: "Happy??" With a posted link to the 1.7 beta. hahaha
Rory Heath 7:12 PM - 5 August, 2014
Thank y'all for what looks to be a great release with A LOT of bells and whistles. We bitch at y'all a lot, but you guys put a lot of work in. Thanks Serato TEAM!
Dokumentary 7:23 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:
In terms of the scrolling issue - is that with the beta or with 1.6.3? If it's in the beta version, please post this feedback in the beta forum area so we can check it out.

Cheers,

Sam.

This is with the 1.7 beta. I'm thinking I will post in the beta area but, as I'm using my VCI-380 in such an unconventional way, I'll probably just wait to see if the DVS expansion pack becomes available upon 1.7 release. I don't wanna take up your time trying to fix my finagled workaround. Lol.
Also, I'm sure I'm not the only guy having issues with the scroll knob. For now, I'll keep an eye out for these types of feedback posts in the beta section.

Thx again for implementing MIDI panel. Although it still has a way to go, this is a good start and I look forward to more advanced options in the future. Specifically MIDI out, MIDI clock, and more robust options for mapping additional controllers.
trayE 10:37 PM - 5 August, 2014
Quote:

There's always something else to do :) MIDI out and advanced MIDI are both on our list and are of pretty high priority to us.

Cheers,

Sam.

I have the same issue with my Pioneer DJM-T1. Tried every mode on the scroll knob..
Mr. Goodkat 12:04 AM - 6 August, 2014
im not seeing any midi panel in 1.7beta using a sl3 or srt 900. actually with either in 1.6-, i could program cues, pitch, nudge, efx and start stop? am i not turning something on?
deejdave 12:21 AM - 6 August, 2014
What midi device were you trying to map?
Mr. Goodkat 12:35 AM - 6 August, 2014
well, thats weird, it works now. just got off a day gig, guess i was on 1.63
Mr. Goodkat 12:41 AM - 6 August, 2014
what is the trick on setting midi for scrolling library tracks and not having the track keep going up or down and not stopping?
DJ Quartz 2:01 AM - 6 August, 2014
What device? You have to use a relative mode mapping for it to work.

That's how I did it with Maschine.
Mr. Goodkat 3:09 AM - 6 August, 2014
rel with the ni controller editor, right?
deejdave 3:22 AM - 6 August, 2014
Thought you can select Rel in Serato itself, no?
Mr. Goodkat 3:24 AM - 6 August, 2014
i forgot i have an x1, so if you use the controller, you have to change it both places(if im not mistaken, i havent really had to deal with this, because the x1 had ssl mapping)
Dokumentary 3:44 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
i forgot i have an x1, so if you use the controller, you have to change it both places(if im not mistaken, i havent really had to deal with this, because the x1 had ssl mapping)

Yeah.

You're using the editor to tell the x1 or DJM-T1 what type of MIDI control to send. The list of command types in SDJ is only telling SDJ what type of command to accept. SDJ can't tell your controller/mixer what commands to send. Only your device's MIDI editor can do that. (If your device is lucky enough to have one).

Another option is MidiPipe if your controller doesn't have an editor.
Mr. Goodkat 3:48 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah.

You're using the editor to tell the x1 or DJM-T1 what type of MIDI control to send. The list of command types in SDJ is only telling SDJ what type of command to accept. SDJ can't tell your controller/mixer what commands to send. Only your device's MIDI editor can do that. (If your device is lucky enough to have one).

Another option is MidiPipe if your controller doesn't have an editor.

i think konix had that in a vid for awhile(midi pipe), i used to have to use it with other controllers.(just in case someone needs to use it look for the konix vids,,, think it was konix)
Mr. Goodkat 3:59 AM - 6 August, 2014
anyone take a stab at doing a x1 mapping. not having much success with this.

hate to be that guy that asks, but ill be willing to give back feedback if you like are one of those djs that does this stuff in their sleep.
deejdave 4:01 AM - 6 August, 2014
I will try this tomorrow. Maybe tonight after the live Serato Q&A is over
deejdave 4:03 AM - 6 August, 2014
I only have the X1 original not MKII so I don't know if that matters.
Dokumentary 4:03 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:

hate to be that guy that asks, but ill be willing to give back feedback if you like are one of those djs that does this stuff in their sleep.

Maybe Serato, or someone else will start a Serato DJ MIDI Device Presets thread similar to this one for SSL. serato.com
Mr. Goodkat 4:08 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
I only have the X1 original not MKII so I don't know if that matters.

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe Serato, or someone else will start a Serato DJ MIDI Device Presets thread similar to this one for SSL. serato.com

i have the orig x1. to me the layout and size can't be beat.

and yeah, i was hoping for somethin like that dok, so many controllers out now. Traktor bible had a little forum like that.

www.traktorbible.com
deejdave 4:11 AM - 6 August, 2014
I will NEVER get rid of my X1. NEVER. Out of all the controllers/players I have had none came so naturally to me. Which is weird as at first I had a tough time with it. Many Serato things were about one knob in the middle but the X1 brought me to two. Distracting at first killer in the end. I'll probably get on it tonight. I am excited now. Been testing shit all day trying to crash 1.7 LOL
Mr. Goodkat 4:17 AM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:
I will NEVER get rid of my X1. NEVER. Out of all the controllers/players I have had none came so naturally to me. Which is weird as at first I had a tough time with it. Many Serato things were about one knob in the middle but the X1 brought me to two. Distracting at first killer in the end. I'll probably get on it tonight. I am excited now. Been testing shit all day trying to crash 1.7 LOL

true, seemed like it worked so flawlessly when ni made the orig mapping.

ill keep trying tonite and see what i can come up with. right now, things arent going so well.
Mr. Goodkat 4:46 AM - 6 August, 2014
serato.com

forgot about this.
Jensen Määäm 10:47 AM - 6 August, 2014
I had the "old" X1, used it for SSL...it doesnt matter if you have the "old" X1 or the X1 MK II, the way of mapping is the same. 1st step is installing the Control Editor on your laptop. After watching the vids of Konix about the X1 and how to map it, I was able to do so. You can do it as well. When you are mapping the knobs for scrolling through your cates/songs then just test out the different modes, you'll see how the cursor bar in SDJ reacts to it.
deejdave 3:20 PM - 6 August, 2014
I never checked out those vids. I just messed with the controller editor & SSL settings until I was happy. Then added Midipipe for lighting. Twas my savior for SSL I might say.
Mr. Goodkat 4:47 PM - 6 August, 2014
i got the scrolling to work, still having trouble with a couple other areas.
938MyDJ 6:30 PM - 6 August, 2014
Original X1 owner too. I almost got rid of them when I had the MPD32 & SP1. I feel happy that I decided not to.
Dj FREAZER 3:29 AM - 7 August, 2014
Its possible midi map the "loop roll" in the new version 1.7 ???
I have a Maschine Mk2 & Lpd8 hoping for mapping....
Serato, Support
Scott S 3:54 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Its possible midi map the "loop roll" in the new version 1.7 ???

Yes you can map Loop Roll, in the recent 1.7 beta > serato.com

Regards
Dj FREAZER 4:27 AM - 7 August, 2014
Thanks Scott.
But, i continued reading the thread SDj1.7 Beta ( serato.com ) and the conclusion is that you can only map the Knob (+, - longitude) and On / Of ..
It's not like the SSL, with mapping of individual buttons for each quantization (1/2, 1/4, etc ...)

: (
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:29 AM - 7 August, 2014
You're right - we are looking at this for the future though. This is only the first iteration of the Serato DJ MIDI panel as I know there are a lot more features that we want to implement.

You should mention your feedback in the beta area, they might be able to help squeeze in a feature request or two for the release if enough people make noise about it!

Regards