Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Screen Freezes for a few seconds...

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ Cru 7:17 AM - 29 December, 2008
so when I am playing a song on say Deck 1, and then I drag and drop a song into deck 2, the whole screen freezes for a second or 2.. doesn't mess with the sound or anything, and I have seen other peoples SSL setups do the same thing.. so Im guessing its a normal thing? like the wav image stops moving, and the circle on deck 1 (which is playing) stops spinning..

I guess my question is.. why?

here is my setup..

new macbook pro
2.8ghz
4gig ram
320 gig 7200rpm internal hard drive

my serato library is currently on a 320gig external Western Digital hard drive connected via USB (plug closest to back of machine)
and my SL1 box is connected to the USB closest to the front..

I have my macbook set to the Better performance setting (instead of better battery life) and I have all the other settings also correct (blue tooth off, airport off, etc)

like I said, this didnt mess with the sound output or anything, I guess it just worries me a little when I load a song, and everything freezes for a sec...

any help would be greatly appreciated!
DJ Cru 10:25 PM - 29 December, 2008
www.scratchlive.net

this is basically my same issue I am having, however, Im wondering why lowering the refresh rate on my screen would help?

I'd like to think that my comp meets and exceeds the needed specs to run SSL...
Rane, Support
RafaelM 10:47 PM - 29 December, 2008
What format is this external HD? Are you sure you are not just having the latency issues with FAT 32 drives and Leopard. 10.5.5?
DJ Cru 11:41 PM - 29 December, 2008
it's formatted in the Windows NT file system... I have the NTFS for Mac OS X installed so I am able to write to the drive from my mac..

the hard drive is pretty full, and theres not much empty space left on it... I have both my music, and also music videos on this drive.. could that maybe be the issue?

but again Im only playing music files, not video files, they are just on the drive...

eventually Im switching over to a firewire800 drive, or I am going to get an eSata card to hook up an external.. since they transfer data faster than USB...
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:40 PM - 30 December, 2008
I think its just how full the drive it. Ive been noticing that as soon as my internal drive has gotten close to even having 100 GB left on it, my computer has been acting a bit slower.

My suggestion would be try moving the videos to another drive and see if freeing up some space helps.
DJ Cru 2:59 AM - 20 January, 2009
ok so I moved all my video files to another hard drive... and the problem still exists..?

is anybody else still having this problem?

oh and on a side note...

when I first plugged everything in... SL1 on the port closest to the front of the comp, and my harddrive USB closest to the back of the comp... I started playing my first song, and the sound was all distorted..

I closed serato, realized I had not turned off the AirPort feature...

so I turned it off, restarted, reopened serato and everything ran fine..

rocked out for 5 hours.. not a single problem at all..

other than the screen freezing for a few seconds every time I load a song?

any help?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:40 PM - 20 January, 2009
We have had many reports of people having this 1 to 2 second lag when loading videos. We believe it is normal and its due to the CPU just preparing to play these 2 videos.

Also, you will always want to have the Airport off on your computer because it often causes distortion.
DJ Cru 10:24 PM - 20 January, 2009
I am not mixing video yet (Still need to buy a TTM-57...

so as of now I am only mixing music...? and I still get the screen freeze?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 11:21 PM - 20 January, 2009
I meant to say that most people who report this issue are running Video SL. How full is your internal drive? Have you tried dropping your refresh rate? Did this help? What are all your settings at in the SSL set-up? And after moving these video files from your external - how much free space did it leave you?
DJ Cru 12:49 AM - 21 January, 2009
I have 150 gigs free on the 320 gig hard drive.. my screen refresh rate is all the way to the right (60)

do you think lowering this would help? and if so why?
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:19 PM - 21 January, 2009
I don't think dropping the refresh rate would help, it usually only helps when someone is running a computer that doesn't meet the minimum specs. Whats your USB buffer size at? Have you tried lowering your settings at all? Are you sure your computer is running on all its RAM? What about if you eliminate the external drive, do you still get this pause?
DJ Cru 8:59 PM - 25 April, 2009
how can I check if I am using all of my ram on a mac? I am still getting the 1-3 second pause when I load a track..

however, I have noticed, if I load a track, play it, and then decide to play it later on, the 2nd time I load it, I do not get the freeze? as if its still loaded somewhere in the memory...

I tried lowering my refresh rate down to 40hz, and no diff.

is anybody else using a mac and having this same problem?

please help!!
Rane, Support
RafaelM 5:17 PM - 27 April, 2009
In the info about your MAC it should say how many gigs of RAM it detects.

Have you built overviews for all you files? Maybe the lag is due to the overview having to be built. Also, keep your max screen updates to 60.
DJ Cru 11:52 PM - 27 April, 2009
it detects all 4 gigs of ram, and I have built all my overviews... I can try rebuilding all of them? see if that helps I guess.. but its gonna take a long time..
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:41 PM - 28 April, 2009
I would build the overviews for them, this way we can be sure its not that.
dj shadow from detroit 4:51 PM - 28 April, 2009
more then likely 4 gig issue.
DJ Cru 3:39 AM - 2 May, 2009
what do you mean... more than likely 4 gig issue? please explain?
dj shadow from detroit 3:51 AM - 2 May, 2009
new macbook pro,macbooks are having problems with using 4 gigs of ram.

www.maximumpc.com
DJ Cru 1:48 PM - 3 May, 2009
ok first off, thank you for the posts on this topic, and 2nd.. you have to be freaking kidding me?! after bouncing between PC or Mac, I decide to get a mac, and now computer issues like these are popping up? this is why I bought a mac in the first place..

how can I test my mac book pro? like the speed of the USB jacks or that it is actually using all 4 gigs of ram?

is this something I can take to the Genius Bar at my local mac store,and have them plug something in and test??

when it comes down to it... the issue is either caused by My Mac, Serato Scrach Live software, or my external usb hard drive.
dj shadow from detroit 7:17 PM - 3 May, 2009
yes my first mac to and im disappointed!

there a distortion problem with the new macbook - macbook pros with 4 gigs of ram.not just with serato.but other programs also.it has something to do with the osx.
i would either take a two gig stick out.or wait for 10.5.7

mac 10.5.7 osx suppose to fix this.and for the usb port.macs are known to have usb bandwidth differences between usb ports.

createdigitalmusic.com

i would suggest going to

support.apple.com

make sure updated.

build all overviews ( very important )

and try using the internal hard drive for testing that its not a external issue.put some files in your internal hard drive and run serato without a external.

see if this helps :)
DJ Cru 2:55 AM - 4 May, 2009
so I should take a 2 gig stick out, and wait for the osx update to fix the issue?..

how much of a diff would I notice if I took a 2 gig stick out?

and do you think if I started using a firewire 800 external hard drive, it would help? I mean obviously it would fix the possible usb bandwidth issues.. since Im not using the ports... this was something I was planning on doing anyway...

since firewire 800 is faster than usb 2.0

and you are right, the whole reason I bought the mac (and switched from a PC), was because everyone on this forum said... when it comes to mac vs. pc.. go with a mac... and literally 2 seconds before I clicked the buy now on the macbook pro... the newer version of the macbook pro came out.. with upgraded video cards, processor speed, hard drive options, etc... came out...

so I said... if it's a mac, and everyone says to get a mac... what could go wrong... lol
blendwaxent 3:18 AM - 4 May, 2009
i had one question. i dont have a mac book but i have an HP pravilion with XP on it. my question is im running 1.9 and vsl 1.1.0 everything works great but transfering video data from my external harddrive to either channels my decks freezes up and it runs slow everytime i run the videos.

what can i do so my sl 1.9 with vsl runs smoother?

i dont have any problems with my mp3's either from my external or files from my comp. but its only when i add videos.

please help!! anything will work thanks
dj shadow from detroit 3:47 AM - 4 May, 2009
firewire 800 would be better.and if your not getting sound distortion using serato.dont take out anything.to be honest i was gonna get a macbook pro.i was getting ready to push but now.and i looked at that price.and went with a white macbook.i dont do video.even if i did.i would of went with a dell all pimped out.for $1,000 - $1,200 at the most.

if i could take it back i would have went with a dell 17inch 2.4 ghz 6 gig of ram with a video card that would work with video.and it would of been $1,100.

i cant get used to this 13in screen.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 4:45 PM - 4 May, 2009
blendwaxent: Please post your issues in your own thread so we can help you directly. Thank you.
1:10 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.