Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Announcing, the Pioneer DDJ-SB for Serato DJ INTRO

5:00 AM, 7 Nov 2013
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
JonnyisSonotek 8:40 AM - 7 November, 2013
I know you guys aren't Pioneer, but do you happen to know how good the soundcard on this will be? And how much it will cost in USD?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:50 AM - 7 November, 2013
Hi JonnyisSonotek,

What do define as "good"? The soundcard is great in terms of output quality and keeps up with simiar sized controllers in output volume. I can't hear any difference between the DDJ-SB and DDJ-SR.

Regarding the price, that woul be a question for your local DJ store or Pioneer :)

Regards
Mike Czech 8:56 AM - 7 November, 2013
For $299 this is a really amazing looking controller. I will get one just to play with. More like this please!!
moondancer 9:12 AM - 7 November, 2013
Hi,
Does this controller contain SeratoDJ license?
Only SeratoDJ Intro?

Regards
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:12 AM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
For $299 this is a really amazing looking controller. I will get one just to play with. More like this please!!

It is a great little controller! I find it to be quite lightweight too, which is an important feature for some people :)
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:14 AM - 7 November, 2013
Hi moondancer,

This is a Serato DJ Intro controller and will not ship with a Serato DJ license.

An upgrade license can be purcahsed seperately if you wish to unlock all the advanced features such as Recording, more Cue Points, Samples and Loops etc – plus new advanced features like Slip Mode, new iZotope FX and FX Expansion Packs!

Regards
Hungz0lex 9:31 AM - 7 November, 2013
sound card can set up for club ? or just for party mini ? if 300usd , i will get ! i upgraded serato dj for mix deck , can i use it for ddi sb ?
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:43 AM - 7 November, 2013
This is more of a party controller rather than a club controller. Great for house parties or taking on a trip. Im not 100% on the price, you will have to confirm with Pioneer.

Yes since you have already purcahsed a Serato DJ license, you will be able to use the DDJ-SB with Serato DJ without paying for another license :)
ERIC LOFTON 9:53 AM - 7 November, 2013
Can you scratch on this controller how does it respond.
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:55 AM - 7 November, 2013
Yes you can scratch, the smooth platters respond very well!
SIGI 12:13 PM - 7 November, 2013
Hi from which version of Serato DJ will it be supported as I expect it to get it like in januari 2014?
MAD MAX KILLER 1:04 PM - 7 November, 2013
will this support serato dj 1.1 ??
pjdjent 1:41 PM - 7 November, 2013
Looks pretty cool for a smaller controller that's very powerful. Anyone know the exact dimensions? (LxWxH)
Dave The One 3:48 PM - 7 November, 2013
Why is the ddj-sx not being upgraded with the feature set that the other two cheaper controllers are shipping with. I hate when serato/pioneer bottlenecks/stops features for the flagship controllers.
DJ/Vj Paul Surreal 3:51 PM - 7 November, 2013
Filter Fade looks dope!!
Paco71 4:33 PM - 7 November, 2013
I already have a DDJ-SX, is the serato DJ license included with the SX will work with the DDJ-SB ?
Davideon 5:26 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Why is the ddj-sx not being upgraded with the feature set that the other two cheaper controllers are shipping with. I hate when serato/pioneer bottlenecks/stops features for the flagship controllers.

My thoughts exactly. Why things like this and the flash pads aren't added to the sx is a joke. It's not like it would affect sales
DJ Drewboy 6:00 PM - 7 November, 2013
Is there a way to pre-order this controller?
LarryB 6:03 PM - 7 November, 2013
Will this controller be able to play 4 tracks with Serato DJ?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:15 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly. Why things like this and the flash pads aren't added to the sx is a joke. It's not like it would affect sales

To be honest, these are small added hardware features that set each controller apart and offer variety for DJs to choose what suits them best. It's nothing to do with software.

The DDJ-SX is still a very powerful piece of gear without these.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 6:19 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
I already have a DDJ-SX, is the serato DJ license included with the SX will work with the DDJ-SB ?

It's not that there is a Serato DJ license included with your SX. It's a little different. The DDJ-SX is actually authorized as a Serato DJ device and is plug-and-play. Serato DJ Intro devices are a little different in that they are supported plug-and-play with Serato DJ Intro and require a software license to use Serato DJ. The SB falls into this category. If you have a Serato DJ software license though, you can connect and use any Serato DJ Intro controller and use Serato DJ for your computer.
Davideon 7:38 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, these are small added hardware features that set each controller apart and offer variety for DJs to choose what suits them best. It's nothing to do with software.

The DDJ-SX is still a very powerful piece of gear without these.

Don't be silly. Are you honesty trying to say anyone would be deciding between the sx and sb? They're miles apart! The issue is that the additional features the Sr and sb have could be added to the sx via a.simple firmware upgrade
Davideon 8:00 PM - 7 November, 2013
the sb only comes with intro, so trying to say that filter fade being on the sb and not the sx provides users a choice between which controller to use is like saying "This Fiat Panda comes with air con, this Audi R8 doesn't" : you wouldn't choose the car based on air con, but if u bought an R8 you would expect it to have air con!

The sx was built with additional functions to be added with the use of shift+. So why not use this?

The impression I get is Pioneer think " thanks sx users for buying out flagship. We have your money so will now concentrate on other user groups, and screw you if we come up with new features".

Would adding filter fade to the sx affect sb sales? NO! Because anyone looking at the sb wouldn't be looking at an sx
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:20 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Will this controller be able to play 4 tracks with Serato DJ?

Hi LarryB, sorry the DDJ-SB is not able to utiliize 4 decks, as it has no layer switching option. It is a 2 deck controller only.

Quote:
Is there a way to pre-order this controller?

Talk to your nearest DJ store or contact Pioneer for details on how to pre-order this great little controller :)

Regards
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:38 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Looks pretty cool for a smaller controller that's very powerful. Anyone know the exact dimensions? (LxWxH)

Hi pjdjent,

The dimensions I have are 487x 271x 59 mm. The weight is 2.1 kg.

Quote:

Since the DDJ-SX is a native Serato DJ controller it does not need a license. You will still need to purchase a license if you wish to use all the features of Serato DJ with this DDJ-SB.

Regards
djandrespanama 9:22 PM - 7 November, 2013
ddj-sb works with my seratodj 1.1? thanks
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:17 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
ddj-sb works with my seratodj 1.1? thanks

Hi djandrespanama, no sorry you will not be able to use Serato DJ 1.1 with the DDJ-SB. There will be a newer version of Serato DJ to include DDJ-SB compatibility once the unit is released. You will not be able to use previous versions of Serato DJ.

Regards
dj_KaSE 6:11 AM - 8 November, 2013
Can you add a feature that will automatically pick what song to play next ? Thanks.
Davideon 9:02 AM - 8 November, 2013
Ah. I initially mis read what filter fade did. Now i know I think its safe to say that this controller is not for DJs nor aspiring DJs. Any marketing of this should not refer to it as a DJ product.

Most starters will just use the x fader. Then they will start also using upfader. And then they learn to also use EQ to make the transition smoother.

But this filter fade does all that. It takes away the learning and understanding process. Some kid will buy this, think they can mix, end up using a proper set up and train wreck.
Ah. I initially mis read what filter fade did. Now i know I think its safe to say that this controller is not for DJs nor aspiring DJs. Any marketing of this should not refer to it as a DJ product.

Most starters will just use the x fader. Then they will start also using upfader. And then they learn to also use EQ to make the transition smoother.

But this filter fade does all that. It takes away the learning and understanding process. Some kid will buy this, think they can mix, end up using a proper set up and train wreck.

Dj Manny B 2:24 PM - 8 November, 2013
Does the DDJ SB have a crossfader curve for scratching?
Davideon 2:42 PM - 8 November, 2013
Quote:

There are no controls on the front of the unit so most probably not, especially considering the market its aiming for
dj kreate 8:22 PM - 8 November, 2013
can i crossfade my videos with this?
Dj Manny B 11:46 PM - 8 November, 2013
Will you be able to change the crossfader curve within the software? whether you were using it with dj intro or serato dj
Ejams 1:37 AM - 9 November, 2013
will the Pioneer cdj 1000 mk3 and the Pioneer cdj 400 work with the new serato dj software update in December??? If i use a rane SL2 box to open the software also???
Dj Manny B 1:27 PM - 9 November, 2013
Quote:
will the Pioneer cdj 1000 mk3 and the Pioneer cdj 400 work with the new serato dj software update in December??? If i use a rane SL2 box to open the software also???

You can in February when the serato dj update for sl2 is released. Until then serato scratch live is the only software you can use.
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:03 PM - 10 November, 2013
Quote:
Some kid will buy this, think they can mix, end up using a proper set up and train wreck.

Why would this bother you BBD?

This is a beginner controller for aspiring DJs, if you already know how to mix well and are getting gigs, then this controller is probably not for you (unless you are looking at a backup or additional controller). It does a lot more than just Filter Fade.

Quote:

Yes it sure does! :) Not on the controller itself, but within the software.

Quote:
can i crossfade my videos with this?

Serato Video is not currently available with Serato DJ Intro, but if you upgrade to Serato DJ and purchase a Serato Video license then yes you will be able to mix with videos.

Quote:

Yes, if you have a Rane SL 2 box then once 1.6 is released you will be able to connect your CDJ's to the SL 2 and use Control CDs just as you would with Scratch Live.

Regards
jsimeonf 2:05 PM - 12 November, 2013
I have a Vestax vci-300 with serato Dj. If I get this ddj-sb, will i still have to pay for the serato dj license even though it's being upgraded when the controller drops?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:46 PM - 12 November, 2013
Hi jsimeonf,

The DDJ-SB is not getting an automatic upgrade to Serato DJ, it is a Serato DJ Intro controller and requires an upgrade license to be purchased before it can be used with Serato DJ.

The VCI-300 is an ITCH controller, which means that you get full use of Serato DJ without having to buy an upgrade license.

These licenses are not interchangeable and the software will activate when a compatible controller is plugged in - The DDJ-SB will not until an upgrade has been purchased.

Thanks!
amish_z@hotmail.com 12:04 AM - 19 November, 2013
Agree with the others here that the new controllers have features that are not on the SX and how it feels like we SX owners are slighty screwed.

I still love my SX :D
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:41 AM - 19 November, 2013
The DDJ-SX is a FAR superior controller compared to the DDJ-SB, you shouldnt be feeling 'screwed' at all.

The DDJ-SX was never advertised to have every single feature available. Don't be surprised if Pioneer bring out more features that are not on the DDJ-SX. They are always brainstorming for new ideas! The DDJ-SX is still their Flagship controller.

Yes the 'Filter Fade' is not available on the DDJ-SX, but that was a SB only feature, and was designed for the beginner DJ. If you have been DJing for a while and own the SX, chances are the Filter Fade feature is not needed, as you have the ability to do far more interesting and technical mixing techniques.

Regards
DJ SOUTH 1:21 AM - 19 November, 2013
Let's Just Be "BLUNT" About This...................

This Release Is Just Another Avenue For You And Other The Other Corporations To Make Money I.E. Opening The Doors For More Kids To Get Into The Field And Basically "CHEAT" While Not Learning "FUNDAMENTALS" And Thus "SCREWING" The Professionals Yet Again......Because Let's Be Honest Most Of They Sales Will Probably Young Kiddie DJ'S & Or Catz That Have Been In The Game Less Then 5 Years & Still Don't Know How To Mix Right. I Just See This As Being Another "FUCK U PRO" & All We Care Bout Is The Masses Type OF Shit
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:40 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
This Release Is Just Another Avenue For You And Other The Other Corporations To Make Money I.E.

We only make the software here at Serato. The DDJ-SB was a controller designed by Pioneer for Serato DJ.

Quote:
Opening The Doors For More Kids To Get Into The Field And Basically "CHEAT" While Not Learning "FUNDAMENTALS" And Thus "SCREWING" The Professionals Yet Again......

Are you saying that a kid with a DDJ-SB will be getting your gigs? If so, then you might want to look into other venues. Whats wrong with young people looking to get into a new hobby? I think it's great that a lot of young DJ's are coming out and showing us new skills. It's how the art evolves.

This controller doesn't mix for you, it doesn't choose songs for you, it doesn't hype up the crowd for you, it doesn't apply FX automatically for you... So how is it "cheating"?

Quote:
Because Let's Be Honest Most Of They Sales Will Probably Young Kiddie DJ'S & Or Catz That Have Been In The Game Less Then 5 Years & Still Don't Know How To Mix Right. I Just See This As Being Another "FUCK U PRO" & All We Care Bout Is The Masses Type OF Shit

This controller is definitely aimed at the aspiring/beginner DJ, not professionals. It's all about making music more accessible for everyone :)

Regards
pjdjent 2:24 AM - 19 November, 2013
I love reading the rants from all the DJ's out there. Here's my 2 cents for those that don't mind reading it. I'm sure you will all agree that DJing is somewhat an art form. A controller like this is just a brush to create that art. It's all about how it's used. A few different bells and whistles will not ultimately change the way a true artist will control the music and the room of people enjoying what you are doing. I've been at it for almost 30 years now and have mixed on every type of controller out there. From turntables, tape decks, dual cd players, DVJ's, CDJ's, USB devices, Midi controllers and more. I currently use the SX and love love love it. All in one with quality sound output. I also purchased a Wego right before the summer just as a back up along with the serato DJ license. I found myself using the Wego for the majority of my summer events. I'm not talking bs little backyard parties, I'm talking full events, weddings, sweet 16's and large corporate functions. It wasn't the controller doing the job, it was me, the DJ, with all the knowledge of music and how to read a crowd.

I say bring on all the new controllers you want. Us experienced DJ's will still prevail. Those newbies will still have to catch up and as long as we keep pushing our talents, we will still be way ahead of them. Heck, I hope the newbies teach me some more creative things to add to my already seasoned years. I'm looking forward to getting this new controller. I'm pre ordering if possible at my local DJ store.

No disrespect intended to anyone.
Play on fellow DJ's and thanks for reading this.
Serato, Support
Scott S 2:27 AM - 19 November, 2013
Well said pjdjent! :)

Feedback is always welcomed, positive or negative.
JeffMixx 6:21 AM - 19 November, 2013
My question is, I have a Pioneer DDJ-ERGO. Does the DDJ-SB have equal sound quality and volume output? I love the layout and the the pad features. Would I be downgrading to go with the DDJ-SB? I'm mostly a mobile dj but I play bars and small clubs too. I have the full Serato DJ license. My main concern is the sound quality but I don't need all the bells and whistles of the SX.
ManuelH 7:13 AM - 19 November, 2013
Does thi this controller fit in a 19"-Rack?
Mat Ro 8:24 PM - 19 November, 2013
I as well many others think that the way Serato is licensing their sofware to controller companies is wrong. When a consumer purchases a product like the Pioneer DDJ-SX, Vestax VCI400 that comes bundled with Serato DJ they expect it to work with other compatible products. They do not expect to have to buy software again that they have already paid for. I would say you need to sort this out before you start losing customers, but I already know people who are switching to other software companies. Stop being greedy Serato and think of your customers for once......
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:04 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
My question is, I have a Pioneer DDJ-ERGO. Does the DDJ-SB have equal sound quality and volume output? I love the layout and the the pad features. Would I be downgrading to go with the DDJ-SB? I'm mostly a mobile dj but I play bars and small clubs too. I have the full Serato DJ license. My main concern is the sound quality but I don't need all the bells and whistles of the SX.

The DDJ-SB has a great sound card and the sound quality is similar to the DDJ-SR, I cant really tell a difference. I prefer the DDJ-SB compared to the ERGO, but that is just my personal preference.

Quote:

The DDJ-SB is a tabletop controller, not designed for a rack mount. However if you built some custom mounts it might be able to fit. We recommend using it as a tabletop controller.

Quote:
When a consumer purchases a product like the Pioneer DDJ-SX, Vestax VCI400 that comes bundled with Serato DJ they expect it to work with other compatible products. They do not expect to have to buy software again that they have already paid for.

You are exactly right! Serato DJ does work with compatible products that have been designed for Serato DJ. However, for the controllers that were not designed for Serato DJ, like the DDJ-SB, you will need to purchase a license upgrade to access all the features of Serato DJ.

Controllers such as the DDJ-SX and VCI-400 are already licensed to work with Serato DJ. The license activates when a authorised controller is plugged in. The DDJ-SX is a pro controller designed and bundled with pro software. The DDJ-SB is not, and was designed to work with Serato DJ Intro. You are not required to upgrade to Serato DJ if you do not want to.

Regards
Mat Ro 9:08 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The DDJ-SB has a great sound card and the sound quality is similar to the DDJ-SR, I cant really tell a difference. I prefer the DDJ-SB compared to the ERGO, but that is just my personal preference.

Quote:

The DDJ-SB is a tabletop controller, not designed for a rack mount. However if you built some custom mounts it might be able to fit. We recommend using it as a tabletop controller.

Quote:
When a consumer purchases a product like the Pioneer DDJ-SX, Vestax VCI400 that comes bundled with Serato DJ they expect it to work with other compatible products. They do not expect to have to buy software again that they have already paid for.

You are exactly right! Serato DJ does work with compatible products that have been designed for Serato DJ. However, for the controllers that were not designed for Serato DJ, like the DDJ-SB, you will need to purchase a license upgrade to access all the features of Serato DJ.

Controllers such as the DDJ-SX and VCI-400 are already licensed to work with Serato DJ. The license activates when a authorised controller is plugged in. The DDJ-SX is a pro controller designed and bundled with pro software. The DDJ-SB is not, and was designed to work with Serato DJ Intro. You are not required to upgrade to Serato DJ if you do not want to.

Regards

Why are you telling me how your system works? I know how your system works. I am saying that it is wrong how you are doing this and that you should not expect us to pay for the software again. I have paid for Sertao DJ already, and I should NOT have to pay for it again.... PERIOD!
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:36 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
I have paid for Sertao DJ already, and I should NOT have to pay for it again.... PERIOD!

Thanks Mat, if you have already bought a Serato DJ license for a controller that was not originally compatible then you will not need to purchase another one :)

Regards
Mat Ro 11:50 PM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I have paid for Sertao DJ already, and I should NOT have to pay for it again.... PERIOD!

Thanks Mat, if you have already bought a Serato DJ license for a controller that was not originally compatible then you will not need to purchase another one :)

Regards

Did you read the previous comments at all??? I am an DDJ-SX owner and because of your stupid licensing rules I cannot my current Serato DJ with a different controller like the SB..... Why??? It's stupid and WRONG that I would have to pay for the same bit of software twice.... Serato will lose customers including myself over this. I am already looking at alternatives and will now not recommend Serato to anyone any more......
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:08 AM - 20 November, 2013
You don't have to purchase the software twice though, you only need to purchase one Serato DJ upgrade license (for the DDJ-SB). The DDJ-SX is a native controller and does not need a license.

Serato DJ is a free download when you purchase an authorised Serato DJ pro controller (like the DDJ-SX).
djkrayz 4:44 AM - 20 November, 2013
Lets say I want to pick up a DDJ SB just for fun to take around when traveling or chilling in the living room. I already own a DDJ-SX, Rane 62, Rane 57, and an SL1. Would I be able to use the SB with Serato DJ without buying a separate license upgrade? I have bought into Serato 4 x already along with how many timecode records I have invested in as well.

I don't think it is fair for people who have invested in the top dollar equipment and software that when they want to purchase a piece of hardware at the lower end of the totem pole a separate license needs to purchased in order to use something that was paid for numerous times already.
Mat Ro 11:18 AM - 20 November, 2013
Quote:
Lets say I want to pick up a DDJ SB just for fun to take around when traveling or chilling in the living room. I already own a DDJ-SX, Rane 62, Rane 57, and an SL1. Would I be able to use the SB with Serato DJ without buying a separate license upgrade? I have bought into Serato 4 x already along with how many timecode records I have invested in as well.

I don't think it is fair for people who have invested in the top dollar equipment and software that when they want to purchase a piece of hardware at the lower end of the totem pole a separate license needs to purchased in order to use something that was paid for numerous times already.

No you wouldn't be able to and that's what is annoying me about the situation. When you buy something such as the SX, Serato obviously gets paid by Pioneer for the license (even though they try to spin that it's a free download). As Pioneer gets charged for the license it is obvious that we get that added on to our purchase price. Now if you buy something like the SB which comes bundled with Serato Into then we are being told that we have to BUY ANOTHER LICENSE which is wrong....

Serato, please stop trying to play politics and spinning words. We as consumers are being ripped off due to corporate greed, and the people who have this issue are your PREMIUM CUSTOMERS, do you really want to lose us???

Serato, this is wrong no matter how you word it !!!
djkrayz 8:10 PM - 20 November, 2013
Why not implement a one time license unlock once you purchase a piece of hardware that comes with serato Dj. It will be easier for customers that have already paid for their rights to use serato Dj on any compatible serato hardware. It will also weed out any people that don't own any serato license or hardware that just show up and plug and play. What is this obamacare haha, those who paid for their serato products shouldn't have to pay for those who never spent a dime to use serato for free.
Davideon 8:29 PM - 20 November, 2013
I fully agree with Mat Ro
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:39 PM - 20 November, 2013
Hey guys

I appreciate your thinking on this and in some ways you are making a valid point. However, you seem to be a little confused as to how our licensing works. Without going into too much detail, let me try to clear things up a bit.

When you buy some PRO hardware (DDJ-SX et al.), as part of the purchase price you receive a Serato DJ license for that hardware. Although I am not party to how our hardware partners structure their pricing, you are probably correct that the license cost is passed on to the end user. Though this is far from being a certainty.

When you buy some INTRO hardware, as part of the purchase price you receive a Serato DJ-Intro license for that hardware. The rest of my statement above also applies in this instance.

When you buy a Serato DJ license (to upgrade from Serato DJ-Intro to Serato DJ), you are purchasing a license for you. This license is more flexible because it is not inextricably tied to any particular hardware and allows for two activations.

In summary, when you buy some Serato supported hardware you gain a relevant license for that particular hardware. When you buy a Serato DJ license, you gain a personal license that you can use with any Serato supported hardware you like.

Could we/should we give personal Serato DJ licenses to users who have purchased PRO hardware? Maybe, but that would essentially involve either giving away product for free (a sales/marketing exercise), or altering our licensing/product structure so that PRO licenses and personal licenses are one and the same. Both of these options are theoretically valid (and I will continue to raise them in discussions), but decisions about them would not be taken lightly by any means.

The best analogy I can think of to try and put this in perspective comes from my recent purchase of a car. There was a more expensive vehicle where I would have gotten 3 years mechanical warranty and 12 months servicing bundled in, and a cheaper vehicle where this wasn't included, but I could have added it on for a price.

I ended up buying the cheaper car (with no package - I'm stingy with this kind of thing :) If however I had bought the more expensive car with the package included, would I then expect to get the package thrown in should I return a year later and buy the cheaper car? No.

I could negotiate sure, but then I'm dealing with a car dealer who might be lucky to shift 5 units a week. For him, the incentive to give me a deal is very strong. Whereas, due to the sheer number of users we deal with, there is no way we can get involved in haggling with everyone who is a repeat customer. As I said above, we would have to approach this at a structural or blanket promotional level.

I'm not trying to spin this for you guys, I'm just calling it as it is. Please feel free to continue this debate, I'm all good with it, but please try to focus on putting forward solid arguments rather than calling us greedy because we would prefer to sell product rather than give it away. We are a business after all.

Cheers
Aaron
Vitamin T. 12:16 AM - 21 November, 2013
So Im a Scratch live user with an SL2. Im really interested in getting this controller for a mobile rig.

My question is 2 part: Will my SL2 be compatible with SERATO DJ when it drops? will i also be able to use this controller on the same software? Do i need to upgrade (pay) for SERATO DJ for either product?

Thank you
Mat Ro 12:17 AM - 21 November, 2013
Please stop speaking down to us like children, no one is confused about how your licensing works, all your customers here are saying that it is wrong, and maybe it should be worth listening to the people at the top of their trade as they spend the most money, and can also influence newcomers/amateurs to what the should purchase.
At the end of the day this will cause you to lose customers, for example I will not be buying the DDJ-SB when it is released which means that your company will lose out on the licence fee that Pioneer pay you for the DJ Intro which I would have never used anyway. I will also now not purchase any further controllers that require Serato, and over the next month or so start moving my current controllers to use the other software I have. Also any recommendations I would have put forward to Serato based equipment has now gone.

Now multiply that by x number of current Serato DJ customers, who may have wanted an Intro device for back up, practise etc......

How is it a good business model to drive your customers away, surely it would have been better to receive one payment than no payment at all.
Mat Ro 12:25 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
So Im a Scratch live user with an SL2. Im really interested in getting this controller for a mobile rig.

My question is 2 part: Will my SL2 be compatible with SERATO DJ when it drops? will i also be able to use this controller on the same software? Do i need to upgrade (pay) for SERATO DJ for either product?

Thank you

I don't work for them, but I think you will be able to use the SL2 with Serato DJ in February next year. For the SL2 Rane says that it is a free upgrade, but if you wanted to use this controller with it you would have to buy an additional license at a cost of USD 129.00, which is the issue that the people here have.....
djkrayz 12:29 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:

Could we/should we give personal Serato DJ licenses to users who have purchased PRO hardware? Maybe, but that would essentially involve either giving away product for free (a sales/marketing exercise), or altering our licensing/product structure so that PRO licenses and personal licenses are one and the same. Both of these options are theoretically valid (and I will continue to raise them in discussions), but decisions about them would not be taken lightly by

As of right now you guys are giving away your product for free. Anybody can download serato DJ or scratchlive, not buy a license or any hardware and show up to any venue with the proper hardware and start using your product for free. I see your point as to marrying the license with that particular hardware purchase, and understand you guys are just doing business. I don't think it is fair to the paying customers who have paid for the high end mixers, audio interfaces, and controllers to have to shell out more money to use a lower end controller that only comes with serato Dj intro. I think if you guys implement something where if you purchase any hardware past a certain tier that will unlock the rights to use serato Dj on any device. Especially if you own multiple pieces of serato equipment that come with the full serato Dj.

It will be beneficial to any customers that have invested in the higher end products to include a full license to use with any device they please. Anyone that doesn't have a higher end piece of serato hardware with serato Dj or only using serato Dj intro would be required to pay for the upgrade. Sorry if this bashed on any plug and play djs that don't own any hardware, this needs to benefit the paying customers, not FREEj's
Vitamin T. 12:56 AM - 21 November, 2013
"but if you wanted to use this controller with it you would have to buy an additional license at a cost of USD 129.00, which is the issue that the people here have....."

Thanks Matt Ro for answering my question. I agree with you that it totally sucks for Serato to not be upfront and fair with their licensing for upcoming software.
Maybe between now and Jan/Feb they might have a change of heart. I mean i already bought an SL2 and i want to buy a DDJ-SB. Its not fair to charge another 129 for a software update. If they upgrade one set of users, they should upgrade all users. We are the loyal serato to fans here
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:03 AM - 21 November, 2013
Yep, you make some good points djkrayz.

Quote:
Anybody can download serato DJ or scratchlive, not buy a license or any hardware and show up to any venue with the proper hardware and start using your product for free.

Kind of. In this instance, the club owner (or whoever's hardware it is) has paid us. They are then sharing their license temporarily with whoever is playing. We are confident that there are very few instances where a DJ is using our software for performances, but doesn't own any Serato supported hardware. How would you practice?

Quote:
I think if you guys implement something where if you purchase any hardware past a certain tier that will unlock the rights to use serato Dj on any device. Especially if you own multiple pieces of serato equipment that come with the full serato Dj.

This is an interesting idea and one that has been discussed many times. Would you care to suggest a tier or number threshold?

Quote:
Will my SL2 be compatible with SERATO DJ when it drops? will i also be able to use this controller on the same software? Do i need to upgrade (pay) for SERATO DJ for either product?

Your Rane SL2 will automatically unlock Serato DJ at no cost. You will however need to buy a Serato DJ license to use the DDJ-SB with Serato DJ.

@Mat Ro

Pro users wanting a second (or third, or fourth...) controller for practice, convenience or some other reason are not who the DDJ-SB was made for. It's great that it is awesome enough to be attractive to pro users for these purposes.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:04 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
it totally sucks for Serato to not be upfront and fair with their licensing for upcoming software.

Sorry, I'm confused. Can you please tell me what you mean by this?
djkrayz 3:10 AM - 21 November, 2013
Quote:
Yep, you make some good points djkrayz.

Quote:
Anybody can download serato DJ or scratchlive, not buy a license or any hardware and show up to any venue with the proper hardware and start using your product for free.

Kind of. In this instance, the club owner (or whoever's hardware it is) has paid us. They are then sharing their license temporarily with whoever is playing. We are confident that there are very few instances where a DJ is using our software for performances, but doesn't own any Serato supported hardware. How would you practice?

Quote:
I think if you guys implement something where if you purchase any hardware past a certain tier that will unlock the rights to use serato Dj on any device. Especially if you own multiple pieces of serato equipment that come with the full serato Dj.

This is an interesting idea and one that has been discussed many times. Would you care to suggest a tier or number threshold?

Quote:
Will my SL2 be compatible with SERATO DJ when it drops? will i also be able to use this controller on the same software? Do i need to upgrade (pay) for SERATO DJ for either product?

Your Rane SL2 will automatically unlock Serato DJ at no cost. You will however need to buy a Serato DJ license to use the DDJ-SB with Serato DJ.

@Mat Ro

Pro users wanting a second (or third, or fourth...) controller for practice, convenience or some other reason are not who the DDJ-SB was made for. It's great that it is awesome enough to be attractive to pro users for these purposes.

I have experienced numerous times where I know people are playing out that don't own any Serato hardware but still use Serato, more power to them. But if profession dj's have to shell out their hard earned money for FREEj's to play and use Serato for free it is not fair for us paying customers.

As for the tiers structure, it can be a touchy subject. Being that I am the type of person that invests into their equipment and software on a regular basis, I spend the most money that I can afford to invest into my equipment and software at the time being.

If you're investing $500 into equipment that comes bundled with Serato DJ I think that is a fair starting point to unlock the full Serato DJ. I looked at the controllers that are all available for under $500 and I think that anyone in that under $500 bracket should pay to step up to the full version of Serato DJ.

The controllers available at the $500 level are for the most part entry level, and offer good features, some seem more like toys than others, but if you want to step up and use more pro features either upgrade for the Serato license, or upgrade your hardware that comes with Serato DJ license.

I started with the SL1, then TTM57, then 62, and for a controller picked up the DDJ-SX. I still own all my hardware as well. Try to understand the situation where I am if I wanted to pickup a smaller entry level controller to be able to use for practice.

As for the DDJ-SB, yes that is a great entry level controller especially if the build quality is the same as the DDJ-SX. Being a professional DJ and being able to pickup the DDJ-SB for $250 to use as a tool for practicing or preparing when you're traveling is almost priceless. I got the SX and that thing is pretty damn portable compared to 1200's and CDJ's, but not portable enough to carry on a plane and setup on your lap to practice or prepare for a show.
notaclue 10:50 PM - 25 November, 2013
Hello,

I ordered this controller today for my boyfriends birthday.

I have no idea about DJ controllers or anything to do with DJing and he doesn't really either but he has enjoyed messing around on his mates decks and he's looking for a new hobby :)

I'm wondering, do you think this was a good choice for a first timers controller?

And also, he's got a pretty old, slow laptop, do you think it will handle the Serato Intro software?

Serato, Support
Scott S 11:10 PM - 25 November, 2013
Hi notaclue,

Yes this is a great first-timer controller. It was designed with the beginner/aspiring DJ in mind so would be perfect for someone wanting to pick up DJing or have something to make some mixes on!

As long as his laptop meets our minimum system recommendations then i'm sure it will be able to hand Serato DJ Intro. Check the minimum specs here > serato.com

Regards
personwithaquestion! 1:22 AM - 26 November, 2013
.........so im a 30 year old mom who want to get my kid this for christmas what is the exact day it comes out?????????????????
personwithaquestion! 1:26 AM - 26 November, 2013
Quote:
.........so im a 30 year old mom who want to get my kid this for christmas what is the exact day it comes out?????????????????
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:33 AM - 26 November, 2013
Quote:

Serato don't decide the release date for the controllers, it would be best to contact your nearest Pioneer retailer or DJ store for the exact date :)
Cap65 10:36 PM - 17 December, 2013
This is so uncool. I have an SX, including Video and everything and use it professionally. Now I also bought an SB for backup and for my kids to toy with. And now you tell me we CANNOT use my Serato DJ-license and Video-license on the SB? That's bollocks! I guess a lot of SX-owners have a slightly less image of Serato now. I hope Serato changes this pretty soon, cause this is some serious in-it-for-the-money-shit.
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:39 PM - 17 December, 2013
Hi Cap65,

You said it yourself, you bought a DDJ-SX, not a Serato DJ license. You need a Serato DJ license to use the DDJ-SB with Serato DJ.

The DDJ-SX is a Serato DJ designed controller, which means it does not need a licences. It does not come "bundled" with a license, as the activation is in the controller. If you unplug the DDJ-SX, then the activation for that controller ends.

Regards
Cap65 10:44 PM - 17 December, 2013
I think you know what I mean, Scott. There is no-one telling you that you are NOT buying a license with you SX. And then, when you buy another controller 'cause you JUST LOVE Serato, you get screwed and need to spend another 199 dollars for something you already OWN. That's serious, Scott!
pjdjent 10:22 PM - 25 December, 2013
serato dj 50% off today. I mean for $64.50 and $249 for this controller nobody should be complaining. And of course once you own the software, it can be used with any controller in the future. Even with the video plug in it's only $99.50 total plus the controller. Peanuts compared to the cost of full size CDj's and a separate mixer with a serato interface. Just sayin!
Cap65 11:31 PM - 25 December, 2013
Paying half the price for something that is already ON my hard disk (cause I OWN an SX as well) can NEVER be a bargain can it?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:37 PM - 26 December, 2013
Quote:
Paying half the price for something that is already ON my hard disk (cause I OWN an SX as well) can NEVER be a bargain can it?

Sorry Cap65 the license is not on your hard disk, it is on the DDJ-SX. As soon as you unplug, you are unplugging your license.

Quote:
serato dj 50% off today. I mean for $64.50 and $249 for this controller nobody should be complaining. And of course once you own the software, it can be used with any controller in the future. Even with the video plug in it's only $99.50 total plus the controller. Peanuts compared to the cost of full size CDj's and a separate mixer with a serato interface. Just sayin!

Thanks pjdjent, yes we think it is a pretty good deal. Especially since the DDJ-SB is designed and aimed at the aspiring and beginner DJ, it is a good starting controller if someone is wishing to get into DJing.

Also, once you have bought a Serato DJ upgrade license, it stays on your Serato.com account so it can be used with any other controller when you need to. This license is permanent and can be used for other DJ Intro controllers when activating Serato DJ.

Regards
DJ HD3000 8:50 PM - 29 December, 2013
I just purchased the DDJ-SX-N last week, and rocked my first gig with it last night. It was also my first time performing with any Serato product, ever. I was certain that I was going to purchase the DDJ-SB as a backup unit as soon as it was released until I read that I would have to purchase an additional license in order to unlock Serato DJ. Because of this I am looking for another option.

Others have suggested tiered licensing for Serato users who already own higher end Serato licensed hardware. This is a sound suggestion. Pro DJs who want something like the SB as a backup or practice controller should not have to pay twice for Serato DJ. Think about it, ALL Serato licensing is tied to the hardware right? Pioneer DDJ-SX users have already paid the embedded Serato DJ licensing fee for that controller once. When they purchase the DDJ-SB, they then pay the licensing fee for Serato Intro. Your customer has already paid you twice for 2 separate licenses. If he/she wants to use Serato DJ with the DDJ-SB, he/she would then have to pay you a licensing fee a third time for two devices. This is bad corporate support for clientele who obviously brings you repeat business. Serato is not loosing any money on a DJ who already owns high end Serato certified hardware and wants to purchase a lower end controller as a backup. There are several simple ways you can resolve this, otherwise, over the long term you unnecessarily risk loosing your clientele.
DJLex2 11:07 PM - 2 January, 2014
I just found this thread too late as I'm stuck in this situation. I've been using the DDJ-SX for the last year and realized it's a little too big to get on a plane with, which I do many times a year. So I was excited to get an SB. My guess is, there's other people in this situation. They will own an SX but also want an SB for smaller gigs or a backup.

Support just told me I have to buy another copy of Serato DJ. So... your company decided the copy I currently use only works with the SX and will not work with an 'intro' controller.

You can justify your licensing schemes all you want, but keep in mind, this puts your company before your customer. It pisses off the customer, and they'll probably make a different purchasing decision in the future.

So if you want to be honest with your customers, please put the following in your advertising for your "Intro" controllers: "THIS SOFTWARE WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR EXISTING BUNDLED PRO SOFTWARE. YOU WILL NEED TO BUY A NEW COPY FOR $129".
djtripp 11:21 PM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:

So, you're saying, in so many words, if you are a pro, don't buy this piece of gear? Don't spend your money on our product?

I'm a "pro" dj and many times I need two setups for a wedding or corporate event. One is usually for a main room, dancing, etc, the other for cocktails, background lounge ceremonies, etc. Why would you think I wouldn't want a small controller as a backup or second system? Even "pro's" want to save some money AND have a decent quality product. Pioneer has both in the SB. No wonder you have to charge for the Serato DJ upgrade, with people like you stating "this is not the controller for you if you are a pro", it surprises me you still have a job. Not even a McDonalds employee would say, "this burger is really good, but if you are really into food, it's not for you." They'd be fired pretty quick.

Your argument for making people buy the upgrade because it's not "made for the SB" to begin with is BS. If it weren't made for the SB it wouldn't work a all. But you made it available as an UPGRADE. If someone has purchased the SX then that same software WILL work on the SB.

To use your example of buying a car, it's more like:

I purchased a new fully loaded Toyota Corolla and I love the leather seats in it. I bought a second base model Corolla with crappy seats. I decide I want to put the nice seats in my base model, but you decided to use different bolt sizes so I can't do it myself. So now I have to tie the car in and pay someone else to modify just those bolts at the Toyota dealership. Just for money because I want those seats changed. Otherwise, it would work just fine. And I could swap them any time I wanted otherwise. But instead I have to pay someone just because the better seats won't fit without your proprietary bolts. Who would do that?

Why would you make someone who has spent THOUSANDS on products from you already not have a free upgrade to Serato DJ license if they already purchased at least one device that already uses it? I mean, You've made my TTM 57 and SL1 useless. You already have made money from my purchase of a Twitch, NS6, DDJ-SX, Video Plug-In and VCI-380. And you can't give me a free license to software I ALREADY USE DAILY on my SX and VCI-380!?!?! Why would I EVER support your company again?
djtripp 11:25 PM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
I
You can justify your licensing schemes all you want, but keep in mind, this puts your company before your customer. It pisses off the customer, and they'll probably make a different purchasing decision in the future.

Well said! As of now, I won't be purchasing the SB. I will make sure to give my money to a company that wants to support it's customers that have ALREADY helped them achieve success, not break the backs and wallets of those people.
Logisticalstyles 1:52 AM - 6 January, 2014
Any update on the release date?
DJLex2 8:24 PM - 8 January, 2014
It's been released. Read the last few posts before purchasing it if you plan on using it with a pro controller. :)
Logisticalstyles 12:00 AM - 14 January, 2014
It hasn't been released yet. Serato DJ has been released and the DDJ-SB has been announced but not yet available for purchase.
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:50 AM - 14 January, 2014
Yes the Pioneer DDJ-SB has been released and are available for purchase, however depending on where you live you might have to wait until stock becomes available.

Check with your local electronics/DJ store about when they will be getting some in :)

If you had any further questions about when your area will be getting stock, hit up Pioneer as they will have a better idea > pioneerdj.com

Kind regards
Logisticalstyles 3:28 AM - 14 January, 2014
Ok, cool. My bad, I've been waiting to see some for sale.
BusyBee Outcast 9:02 PM - 14 January, 2014
If you are in the Toronto or London Ontario area there are a few Pro Audio Stores that have this unit in stock, price ranges from $269.99CAD to $299.99CAD, I've already purchased one today and will try it out tonight. Not to Piss anyone off but the Licensing thing is not that serious, if you're a DJ making proper $$$ $129 is not that big a deal to be able to use this software on any device. I actually held out and purchased a license when they had the boxing day special on serato.com and only paid $64.50. Somebody is gonna prob curse at me but it's tools of the trade, every trade has a cost, we all use Serato or Rane products for a reason, if you don't like the costs associated with their products, stop complaining and move on, there are other options out there, none I would use LOL, but there are other options, to keep up with the car analogy, Everybody wants to drive a beemer but only wants to pay for a Kia... Peace
DJLex2 3:22 AM - 19 January, 2014
LOL. It's not the case at all. I've paid nearly $3000 for an assortment of Serato hardware over the past few years only to find out they've never included a real serial number for Serato DJ. It's not the money, it's the principle. :)
Serato, Support
Aaron E 8:33 PM - 19 January, 2014
To be clear DJLex2, we at Serato don't make hardware, our partners do.

Whether you buy a Pioneer controller, a Rane interface, a supported CDJ, or some Novation Dicers, you are buying hardware from these hardware companies. When our partners are deciding what kind of hardware to make, they decide (amongst many other things) what kind of software it will support.

Sometimes they choose to work with us, and sometimes with our competitors, sometimes both. If they choose to work with us, they then decide what kind software support would be appropriate for each particular product. We work very closely with our hardware partners, but ultimately we don't determine which software is bundled with which hardware.

A DDJ-SX is designed as a pro controller for pro users (or those who want to play like a pro :) and is therefore bundled with a Serato DJ license for that unit. The DDJ-SB is a low-cost controller designed for the budding DJ and is therefore bundled with a DJ-Intro license.

If the proud owner of the DDJ-SB then feels that they want to expand the feature set to keep up with their developing skills, there is an upgrade path possible. Pro users who want a practice controller also get a reasonable deal as, Serato DJ license included, the DDJ-SB is still around 3/5 of the price of the cheapest pro controllers around.

Importantly, pro users are a secondary market for this controller. And this is the reason I'm both surprised and pleased that we are having this conversation - the DDJ-SB is good enough that it is attracting a lot of pro users who see it as a viable practise controller.

If you are in this group, then you really need to be thinking of the total price including pro license as practising in a different software environment wouldn't be of great value to you. For the newer DJ though, the DDJ-SB and DJ-Intro bundle is a great combo.

Cheers
Aaron
DJLex2 11:21 PM - 21 January, 2014
Aaron,

Thanks for the info. From your perspective, it makes total sense and it's a reasonable explanation of how your technology works. :) This is a business model that works for Serato otherwise they wouldn't do it. It has 'pros' and 'cons', and we're discussing this particular 'con'.

From a consumer perspective, I need more flexibility than that. :) There are many options out there for DJ software. All (or at least 99%?) of them work regardless of hardware. Serato is unique in that it doesn't work as standalone software, nor will it work with hardware unless there is a Serato logo on it.

Going forward, I now understand what I'm agreeing to when I purchase anything with a Serato logo on it.

Regardless of how things work or how I may "want" things to work, the majority of pro hardware users that also purchase an intro hardware will be disappointed in the situation. It will keep coming up and be an opportunity to gain a loyal customer, or lose a customer.

Thanks,
Lex
spudhed15 1:47 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Hi moondancer,

This is a Serato DJ Intro controller and will not ship with a Serato DJ license.

An upgrade license can be purcahsed seperately if you wish to unlock all the advanced features such as Recording, more Cue Points, Samples and Loops etc – plus new advanced features like Slip Mode, new iZotope FX and FX Expansion Packs!

Regards

I have the DDJ-SB and I am being told to buy the license which I really dont want to do, is there any way I can stay using the Into Version of Serato without buying the license or getting the 14 Day Trail?

Thanks
DJ 1C3PICK 4:47 PM - 28 January, 2014
I had a question about the jog wheels. I wanted to know if that like a real turn table if while the music is playing that when you put you hand on the record it will stop playing. I was wondering if the jog wheels on the DDJ-SB did the same thing or not.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Eru G 8:25 PM - 28 January, 2014
Hey spudhed15,

Quote:
I have the DDJ-SB and I am being told to buy the license which I really dont want to do, is there any way I can stay using the Into Version of Serato without buying the license or getting the 14 Day Trail?

Thanks

Yes - you can use DJ Intro free of charge for as long as you want.
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:44 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I had a question about the jog wheels. I wanted to know if that like a real turn table if while the music is playing that when you put you hand on the record it will stop playing. I was wondering if the jog wheels on the DDJ-SB did the same thing or not.

If the DDJ-SB is in Vinyl jog mode yes the song will stop when you put your hand on the platter :)

Cheers
spudhed15 8:28 AM - 29 January, 2014
Yes - you can use DJ Intro free of charge for as long as you want.

Thank you so much for telling me that!!! :)
spudhed15 6:16 PM - 29 January, 2014
Hi,

Does anyone have a quick fix for the Hardware Disconnected Symbol that keeps coming up when I connect my SB and open Serato intro?
I have tried disabling it in my device manager and uninstalling and re-installing the drivers, plus double checking that my Primary Sound Driver is set to Default, none of these have helped.

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:06 PM - 29 January, 2014
Hi spudhed15,

You shouldn't be getting the Hardware Disconnected error if you have connected your DDJ-SB and have everything set up correctly. Are you using Windows 8 with USB 3.0 ports by any chance?

If you are having issues with Serato DJ Intro this isn't the best place to troubleshoot, can you please start a help request in the support area? > serato.com

DJ Collapse 10:23 PM - 29 January, 2014
Hello,
i´ve downloaded Serato DJ Intro for my DDJ SB but sometime it breaks down mostly when im loading a track of my playlist? why?

thx for answer
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:44 AM - 30 January, 2014
As stated in the post directly above yours, If you are having issues with Serato DJ Intro this isn't the best place to troubleshoot, please start a help request in the support area > serato.com

Cheers
spudhed15 1:48 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:
Hi spudhed15,

You shouldn't be getting the Hardware Disconnected error if you have connected your DDJ-SB and have everything set up correctly. Are you using Windows 8 with USB 3.0 ports by any chance?

If you are having issues with Serato DJ Intro this isn't the best place to troubleshoot, can you please start a help request in the support area? > serato.com

I am using windows 7 with USB 2.0 ports, I have set up another help request but I was just hoping for advice on different discussions.

Thanks alot
DJ Seal 8:48 PM - 30 January, 2014
I recently bought a DDJ-SB and i would like to say its the best £199 i ever spent. I think the features on it are very good for an entry level controller and I certainly would use this in a club. Im gonna upgrade to the full version of serato DJ soon once i get a half decent laptop
konexion38 5:08 AM - 4 February, 2014
i have the ddj sb and its a nice controller.. i can't wait to get the full upgrade on the software.
Proponent 2:32 AM - 5 February, 2014
just wanna chime in and say i've had an SX since they were first released, was very interested in the SB for a stripped down easy to carry controller for small bar gigs, but paying an extra $150aud for a $300aud controller is a 100% deal breaker. you can put as much spin as you want on it but hidden costs of almost 50% of the hardware is misleading at best and dishonest at worst.

was and still am a scratch live user for many years but this entire situation has had me researching other brands all morning. good luck with your rapidly diminishing customer base
Proponent 2:35 AM - 5 February, 2014
rather than purchase a new controller i'm now looking at a second hand vci with free dj upgrade in the short term and possibly ditching serato altogether down the track. all because you tried to make me pay again for software i've already been using for over a year.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:00 AM - 5 February, 2014
Hi Proponent

The Pioneer DDJ-SB unlocks Serato DJ-Intro. No hidden cost, this is the product for sale.

IF you want to purchase an upgrade license, to unlock Serato DJ with the DDJ-SB (or any other DJ-Intro controller), you can buy one for USD 129. No hidden cost, this is a different product for sale.

Cheers
Aaron
Proponent 3:11 AM - 5 February, 2014
i've used intro before and i don't regard it as functional. as you're selling this as a piece of DJ equipment - you even allude to the extra features on the sb with shift keys etc, then i do regard this as a hidden cost. sure it's a matter of semantics, i'm merely giving you guys some feedback as a long standing 'brand loyal' customer who is now looking around for other options. i don't regard them as 'separate products' but that's just me. I paid over $1000 for the SX, having been an SL1, SL3 and 57 owner in the past, and now i'm told i need to fork out an extra $150 to use a stripped down version of the hardware/software i've been using for years on top of the retail price of the unit itself. why don't you just get rid of intro altogether and have a slightly higher set price for the unit itself instead of all this confusing nonsense.

i respect your right to protect your brand and indeed even make some money off your products but if you cannot see how your existing customers feel screwed by this new arrangement then i suggest you guys could be a bit out of touch with your existing market.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:24 AM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
sure it's a matter of semantics

Nope, no semantics involved, just facts. Buy a Pioneer DDJ-SB and you can use it with Serato DJ-Intro out of the box. Buy an upgrade license and you will be able to use the DDJ-SB with Serato DJ.

As a pro controller your DDJ-SX unlocks Serato DJ automatically, but it doesn't give you an upgrade license to be used with DJ-Intro controllers.

Cheers
Aaron
ERIC LOFTON 4:11 AM - 6 February, 2014
I am interested in getting and new controller for serato which come with it build in or will i have to buy the new program separately
spudhed15 1:48 PM - 6 February, 2014
The DDJ-SB comes with Serato DJ Intro but you do have the option to upgrade to Serato DJ if you want, the SB can work fine on both of them.
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:37 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
I am interested in getting and new controller for serato which come with it build in or will i have to buy the new program separately

Hi Eric,

Supported Serato DJ controllers can be found here > serato.com

Serato DJ Intro controllers (like the DDJ-SB) can be found here, you will need to purchase an upgrade for these controllers to work with Serato DJ > serato.com

Regards
Andy Lara 10:46 PM - 27 February, 2014
Hello, I bought the $129 for the full serato dj program upgrade a few months back for the numark mixtrack pro II .. will this be able to transfer over for my new pioneer ddj SB i am about to buy? HELP!
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:56 PM - 27 February, 2014
Hey Andy

Yes absolutely :)

The upgrade license you bought is associated to your serato.com account rather than any specific controller. You can activate up to two computers at any one time and use Serato DJ with any supported controller.

Cheers
Dj Dunya 5:31 PM - 12 March, 2014
He Guys,

With Serato Dj how can i trigger the 8 cue's with my Pioneer DDJ-SB.

Shift mode ?

All best

Tom
Serato, Support
Scott S 7:51 PM - 12 March, 2014
Hi Dj Dunya,

Quote:
With Serato Dj how can i trigger the 8 cue's with my Pioneer DDJ-SB.

If you hold Shift and press Hot Cue on the DDJ-SB, the Hot Cue light will start to flash and you will be able to access the second 'four' hot cues.

This allows you to access all 8 cue points on the DDJ-SB.

Regards
Dj Dunya 9:55 AM - 13 March, 2014
Thanks !
LISENT 2:28 AM - 28 March, 2014
BUENAS NOCHES ALGUIEN PODRA AYUDARME COMPRE UN PIONEER DDJ SB PERO QUIERO TRABAJAR CON VIDEOS Y NO TENGO PARA COMPRAR LA LICENCIA DE SERATO DJ1.6.1,MI PREGUNTA ES ESTA SI CON OTRA VERCION MENOR DE SERATO DJ, X EJEMPLO LA 1.5.2 PODRE MEXCLAR VIDEOS YA Q YO TENGO EL PLUGINS DE SERATO VIDEO CN LICENCIA
Jaybig4 1:43 AM - 2 April, 2014
Is There any way to change the sensitivity of the Jog Wheels? my left one is really slow, but the right one is fine. I've tried everything, Vinyl/Slip is turned on and i tried looking in the manual it doesnt say anything about it. HELP PLEASE
JRfromManila 3:59 AM - 8 April, 2014
Hi, good day.. Im about to buy a controller and my choices are DDJ SB and DDJ SR. if i want to pursue Dj'ing as a carreer, what controller would u recomend? I can see here the comments for the SB that it is like a toy.. So is the SR the right tool for me? I dont want to be a house party DJ forever. The SX seem to be the pro controller but it is way over my budget for now.
Is ther a huge difference between SB and SR? They do have a 150 dollar difference here in the Philippines. Please help me out. Tnx!
Serato, Support
Scott S 4:03 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
Im about to buy a controller and my choices are DDJ SB and DDJ SR. if i want to pursue Dj'ing as a carreer, what controller would u recomend?

100% without a doubt, the DDJ-SR.
Quote:
Is ther a huge difference between SB and SR?

Yes, there is a lot of difference. The DDJ-SR is a native Serato DJ controller, designed with professional use in mind. The DDJ-SB was designed for beginner, aspiring DJ's.

Please make sure you read threads before posting, there is a lot of helpful information in this thread and answers to most of your questions.

Regards
P-Trixxx 3:17 PM - 10 April, 2014
I have Serato DJ 1.1 purchased to use it with Numarks Mixtrack Pro II. Now I want to use the SB. What Version of Serato DJ do i need and how do i get it without purchasing and spending money again? And when im updated Serato DJ, is the online(!) authorisation needed again (dont wanna hook my laptop with the internet again to keep it free from bugs n shit).
Is Midi mapping allowed?
Thanks for answering!
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:14 PM - 10 April, 2014
Hi P-Trixxx,

Yes you will need to go online to authorize Serato DJ, and it is best that you update to our latest version of Serato DJ here for use with the DDJ-SB > serato.com

Quote:
Is Midi mapping allowed?

Yes, if you connect a secondary MIDI controller you are able to map parameters using the MIDI mapping feature in Serato DJ.

Thanks
DenisArt 10:50 PM - 23 May, 2014
Hi! Bought controller Serato but could not see him-I Mac os Maverik ! Help!
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:48 PM - 25 May, 2014
Hi DenisArt, do you mind rewording your question? I'm not sure I quite understand your issue. If you are having difficulties connecting the Pioneer DDJ-SB controller to your computer using OSX Mavericks can you please start a help request here > serato.com

We will be able to troubleshoot your issue easier than in this general discussion thread :)

Kind regards
silver mic 11:05 PM - 7 June, 2014
i bought the ddj sb but it don't work with Maverik os mac can some help
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:40 PM - 9 June, 2014
Hi silver mic,

This thread is probably not the best place to troubleshoot issues however you can start a help request here > serato.com

Regards
DJ Gunz 3:41 PM - 12 June, 2014
Serato,

Thanks in advance for your time and response, I only have one simple question. I've been using my DDJ-SX for a while now. I just picked up the DDJ-SB as a backup. I want to upgrade from Intro to Serato for my SB.

Will that affect anything with Serato for my DDJ-SX? Or, will the new updated version of Serato serve for both my SX and SB? I don't want to upgrade if it somehow affects my ability to plug in my SX and go.

I'm sure you guys figured this out already. Please let me know… can't be down for more than a day or two reloading/analyzing tracks etc…

Thanks again in advance. Gunz
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:13 PM - 12 June, 2014
Hi DJ Gunz,

The DDJ-SX is a native Serato DJ controller, so does not need a license to activate. The DDJ-SB however, is a Serato DJ Intro controller and requires a license on the users account before you are able to use it with Serato DJ.

If you purchase a Serato DJ upgrade license, it will allow your DDJ-SB to connect with Serato DJ - The DDJ-SX is not affected, as it is a native controller (it activates anyway).

You should have no issues with your DDJ-SX if you purchase an upgrade license.

Kind regards
DJ Gunz 8:15 PM - 12 June, 2014
Awesome, exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks and keep turning out amazing tools for us to do what we love to do!
DJ KennyG 1:28 PM - 10 October, 2014
Hi Serato, Can I use Serato Scratch Live in my DDJ-SB? Thanks
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:03 PM - 12 October, 2014
Sorry DJ KennyG, you can't use the Pioneer DDJ-SB with Scratch Live software. The DDJ-SB is a controller designed specifically for Serato DJ Intro - with the ability to upgrade to Serato DJ to take advantage of all software features.

Regards
Rowell M Marcial 6:16 AM - 7 December, 2014
my ddj sb does not work with the intaller serato dj intro how could i intall its..plsss help me
Serato, Support
Scott S 7:59 PM - 7 December, 2014
Hi Rowell M Marcial,

Are you getting some kind of error message when trying to run the installer? Make sure you have the correct installer file for your OS (.exe for PC, .dmg for Mac)

Check out our help centre for connection troubleshooting articles, the steps will be different depending on weather you are on a PC or Mac. Have a look through our Help Centre here > support.serato.com.

If you are still having troubles, it would be best to start a help request with our support team so we can help you further. Start a help request here > support.serato.com

Regards
DJ Furious1 8:23 AM - 27 December, 2014
Greetings,

I just received the DDJSB for Christmas as a gift. I too also have the DDJSX. I also switched over to Serato DJ and use it at venues with my DDJSX and venues that have either the Rane 62 or Pioneer Nexus mixers.

I was excited to play the DDJSB, the first issue I had was it was not reading. After spending quite some time on these forums, I figured out how to change the audio media setup since the Serato DJ was not reading the DDJSB as per the guidance in the forum. I also encountered the issue with the Serato DJ license. As with many other DJs here, I was very disappointed to read that I had to buy a Serato DJ software license after having legitimately downloaded the software from Serato the first time it was released.

However, after spending hours reading the Serato forums about this subject, I do understand the reason to purchase the software license. I spent the $65 it asked for me to purchase the license and everything worked awesome. I was also happy to know that since I previously bought Serato Video, I did not have to buy it again.

I just spent the last two hours happily playing with my new DDJSB (with Serato DJ & Serato Video + audio output to my Bose Soundlink)! It's perfect for my purpose of taking with me when I travel to practice my sets in the hotel before gigs. I then disconnected the USB and plugged it in the DDJSX to confirm Serato DJ was still operational and it was.

Very awesome product! However, I wish I didn't have to have spent 2-3 hours reading the forums to get it to work. My only recommendations for your Pioneer partners are as follows:

1. Include the details about Audio Midi Setup in the setup instructions.

2. BOLD and large printed details on the box in reference to "Compatible with Serato DJ with purchase of software license"

Thanks for the detailed forums about the DDJSB.

Keep rocking,

DJ FURIOUS
Serato, Support
Aaron E 12:38 AM - 30 December, 2014
Thanks for the feedback DJ FURIOUS

Fortunately, this issue has been resolved with the release of OS X 10.10 Yosemite so there should be fewer people running into it.

I totally get your frustration though, it is a very annoying issue to hit when you are just trying to get going with a new controller. By way of explanation for the current information on this - the issue first presented in OS X 10.9.2 (and we included it in our connection troubleshooting article: support.serato.com), then went away in 10.9.3 so we held off with a stronger communication push.

The issue then came back in 10.9.4 and 10.9.5. While we were discussing with Pioneer the best messaging for users, we verified it as fixed in 10.10 and here we are...

I'll pass on your recommendation for the new box message. I agree it could be stronger.

Cheers,
Aaron
GPerez 4:38 AM - 17 February, 2015
New to the forum. How do I adjust cross fader curve on the ddj sb. I go to setup, and try to adjust it there but, it only goes halfway. I would like to move it more to the right
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:28 PM - 17 February, 2015
Hi GPerez,

That's odd, you should be able to adjust the Crossfader curve from Slow to Fast or anywhere in between in your with your DDJ-SB.

Are you using Serato DJ, or Serato DJ Intro? Is the option 'greyed out' for you or is it white, but won't let you go past half way?

You might need to open a help request with our support team so they can troubleshoot this specific issue further with you, here in the blog is not the best place for that. You can open a help ticket here > support.serato.com :)

Kind regards
GPerez 9:29 PM - 17 February, 2015
I am using serato dj intro. The option is in white. Do you think I need
To reinstall software, or is it best just to open a help ticket? Thanks
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:06 PM - 17 February, 2015
Sounds like an interesting issue, as it most definitely should let you move the Crossfader curve control knob all the way from Left to Right (as there are no controls on the hardware to control this it is done all in the software).

Try reinstalling your software with the DDJ-SB connected. Make sure you have installed the correct drivers (if using Windows: pioneerdj.com) and try using different USB ports/a different USB cable if possible. Otherwise start a help request and we will be able to troubleshoot your issue further.

Kind regards
haytchkay 12:29 PM - 9 July, 2015
so i just bought the DDJ-SB.. pretty happy with it.. but what happens after the serato trial runs out?

would i have to buy the full version or?

i currently use a MacBook Air so i don't have a CD drive. i've just had to buy the stupid Apple USB Superdrive for $130 to use the disc, and all it had was a link -.-
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:26 PM - 9 July, 2015
Hi haytchkay,

You can use Serato DJ Intro with the Pioneer DDJ-SB for as long as you like, download it here > serato.com

However, if you wish to keep using Serato DJ you will need to purchase a licence, which you can do so here > store.serato.com

Regards
arthur pankutz 7:16 PM - 4 October, 2015
good